What happens if I press this button ....

Paddy O'Connell | 13:56 UK time, Monday, 29 September 2008

.. for my first blog posting?

Thank you if you've posted a welcome or blog tips ... for instance this from ValerieP: "We don't bite .. most of us." We had a Westie like that years ago. The BBC blog guru emailed with advice on how to take baby blog steps. I won't repeat them, but I did think .. what one thing would you pass on? More soon .......

Comments

• 1. At 2:36pm on 29 Sep 2008, Perky wrote:

"Be nice". That doesn't stop you from having and posting opinions, but it does help with the general blog atmosphere.

And specifically for this blog? Visit the beach, where you're guaranteed a warm welcome!

• 2. At 2:39pm on 29 Sep 2008, steelpulse wrote:

Hello Paddy. Is it Sunday again already?

Now that PM button; if after you press it it requires you to enter something called "launch codes" - er - do nothing further without taking cover and advice.

You can choose the order you do them in - but do BOTH.

The button - is a puzzle.

Somehow - it was meant for the Prime Minister's (PM's) office and the BBC got it in error. When Mister Brown presses his button in the light of world events, he gets a pre-traffic report jingle.

The Russians have "surrendered" several times to make him stop pressing it! lol

• 3. At 3:32pm on 29 Sep 2008, mygloriousleader wrote:

The secret is...
    ...to bang the rocks together...

• 4. At 5:00pm on 29 Sep 2008, DI_Wyman wrote:

What happens if I press this button ....
    .....a little old lady in Wolverhampton will go and open her front door.

• 5. At 5:14pm on 29 Sep 2008, Tramp wrote:

I have no sympathy for those who got buy-to-let mortgages - they were just speculating on house prices, forced prices up for first-time buyers and are no better than the spivs who engaged in short-selling. Let them go bankrupt.

• 6. At 6:15pm on 29 Sep 2008, soupafan wrote:

Re: This idea of creating some sort of "computer network standard," to protect children on the internet.

As if the children couldn't get around any system bars that the parents couldn't understand.

You might as well try my idea of setting up a "Protection of Children from their
    Parents Ignorance Society."

PCPIS.

• 7. At 6:28pm on 29 Sep 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

Hey, I've got all five Recent Comments! Bingo! Gotta go get a glass of wine.

• 8. At 7:27pm on 29 Sep 2008, Chris Ghoti wrote:

APbbforum @ 5, consider this as a scenerio: someone moves out of London, and needs somewhere to live in the town in which he is now working. He finds the perfect house, and buys it with a straightforward mortgage, using his savings to pay for a deposit and the first couple of months.

In order to get the second mortgage and have a place to live, he has to change the existing mortgage on the London house to a 'buy-to-let' one.

His house in London still has no buyer three months later. He now has to pay two mortgages out of his salary and is beginning to have mild financial difficulty.

The local council in London are desperate for rented property to house their employees.

How much of a villain is the man if he lets the property in London to his local council, so that they can allow one of their people to occupy it and pay rent to him, thus making it possible for him to pay both mortgages (just)? Given that the council don't want to buy the house, and nor it seems does anyone else?

A spiv? or just someone who moved house at a difficult time for the housing market?

• 9. At 8:24pm on 29 Sep 2008, Charlie wrote:

...a friend, living in Arizona 'phoned.

There, they have a water shortage. So, how to save..?

Well, flushing the loo is one way.

So, he said, "we" say: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's Brown, flush it down..."

Then he burst-out laughing. "Hey, Brown's the name of your Prime Minister..."

I "passed" no comment...

• 10. At 8:41pm on 29 Sep 2008, RJMolesworth wrote:

APbbforum @ 5

Chris's example at 8 is just one reason. Another is that you cashed in your pension in the '90s to buy a property to live in for the only job you could get which was 150 miles from your home and family. The mortgage was the same as rent on similar properties.

As this property is now your pension and as you have now been able to find a job close to home, you let it out to pay for the mortgage so that you have some pension rather than none.

Timing is the only reason I won't loose my pension property, not my intentions which, I can assure you, were far from Spiv like at the time.

• 11. At 8:43pm on 29 Sep 2008, RJMolesworth wrote:

David @7

One more and I'll join you.

• 12. At 8:44pm on 29 Sep 2008, RJMolesworth wrote:

Oops. Failed.

• 13. At 9:09pm on 29 Sep 2008, maharg19 wrote:

Are we not now benefiting from all the years of George Bush's reign?

Those original worries before he got into power, reinforced by an inability to string two words together - they're all coming home to roost.

He's presided over a US financial system that's going into meltdown and trying to take the rest of the world with it.

Playing golf while the bank notes burn...

• 14. At 11:23pm on 29 Sep 2008, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Charlie @ 9, Ken Livingstone mentioned that one once.... but I think Blair was Prime Minister at the time, I'm sure a good Labour man like Ken wouldn't have been so rude about his party Leader. :-)

It's funny how this government seem to be catching up with my Ma. I feel downright wrong not turning out lights in empty rooms, or turning on the central heating if I'm in my shirtsleeves with bare feet, or leaving the tap running while I brush my teeth, all of which were things she dinned into me when I was a child *decades* ago, along with using a stopwatch for every single phone call and being uncomfortable if I didn't reach for the seatbelt when I got into a car. She also had a waterbutt to store rainwater off the roof, and used old bathwater to put on the vegetable patch (with a hose siphoning it from the upstairs window, wonderful fun for children), because she said that warm water was better for the plants than cold straight from the tap. The only one of those that they aren't now issuing Directives to encourage (or in one case made a law about) is the phone-bill one, and that, I assume, is because that it isn't (yet) their business to tell us that using the phone is bad for the planet.

I wonder how many gallons of water one saves over fifty years, given three toothbrushings of about three minutes each every day, if one doesn't turn the tap on for the whole of each one. :-)

• 15. At 11:26pm on 29 Sep 2008, ValeryP wrote:

Well done Paddy, now if I were to be a biter I might suggest you press the spellcheck button next? ;-]

• 16. At 11:31pm on 29 Sep 2008, jonnie wrote:

Paddy - You have yet to have the wrath of BigSister launched upon you.

I believe she is still in Wales.

You won't escape once she returns and finds you here ;-)

• 17. At 04:48am on 30 Sep 2008, needsanewnickname wrote:

Just be your usual BH self.

'Twas good enough for Eddie, all those years ago...

And a belated welcome, Paddy; you're one of the best things about Sunday mornings (apart from The Archers) (waits to be shot down in flames)

• 18. At 08:50am on 30 Sep 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Jonnie (16): Paddy's great and would never get a ticking off from me ;o)

Was/is Eddie having a 'loo day'?

• 19. At 10:16am on 30 Sep 2008, mittfh wrote:

What happens if you press the button?

I'm sure it's pure coincidence that WCC's network started dying yesterday afternoon, and as I write is currently slowly but surely grinding to a halt... :)

• 20. At 10:19am on 30 Sep 2008, Big Sister wrote:

19: So, you work for Westminster City Council?

• 21. At 11:30am on 30 Sep 2008, DI_Wyman wrote:

Big Sis (20)..re mittfh......nah.... Wombles Cricket Club!

• 22. At 12:59pm on 30 Sep 2008, mittfh wrote:

20/21: Helpful hint: I work in Warwick, but not for the District Council...

Latest update from ICT Services:
    "NTL will be on site shortly to further investigate these issues. At this time we cannot provide a reliable time at which all services will be available again."

• 23. At 1:22pm on 30 Sep 2008, Stewart_M wrote:

Mittfh is it World Council of Churches? google WCC and that was the top entry.

• 24. At 1:34pm on 30 Sep 2008, ValeryP wrote:

Nowt wrong wi' The Archers, FranO.

Mittfh - Warwick Community Council? if they're anything like ours though they're all about 87 and still use typewriters to produce the newsletter ;o)

• 25. At 07:48am on 01 Oct 2008, DI_Wyman wrote:

Val (24). typewiters....luxury. NCC have now't but tablets of stone. Mind you the Cheif Exec has met some chap, name of Caxton, so things could be on the up!