GORE!

Eddie Mair | 18:09 UK time, Tuesday, 5 August 2008

Not you, Al.

As I was saying on the show, every winter you can be sure that Scotland's mountain rescue teams will be kept busy, attending to the people who fall, or become ill or lost in the hills.

The conditions can be terrible and time of the essence. Which is why researchers are developing a stick on patch to give rescue teams information about casualties who're being recovered. It's hoped that wireless monitors could collect, and transmit, life saving information about vital signs like heart rate and blood pressure.

Huw Williams reported on the research. One of the people he spoke to was Jim Martin, who suffered terrible injuries when he fell on Ben Nevis in 2006. He's exactly the kind of casualty the technology could help. If you like hearing injuries described in some detail, here's a chance to hear more of that conversation:

Add BBC Radio 4: PM to your page

Comments

• 1. At 6:26pm on 05 Aug 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Fascinating report. I was rather surprised that there was a questionmark over the economics of the technology, however, since it could be applied across the world and thus could potentially have a very large market.

The description of the climber's injuries brought back to mind a serious injury I sustained some years ago, due to an accident I was very lucky to survive. Seeing a limb in an unaccustomed position is, to say the least, unnerving. What the report didn't tell us (unless I wasn't listening hard enough) was the rescue and current circumstances of the person interviewed, which left me feeling, well, hanging off a cliff edge ...

• 2. At 01:26am on 06 Aug 2008, dennisjunior1 wrote:

Great blog!

• 3. At 11:12am on 06 Aug 2008, Mrs Effingham wrote:

How much is the broom?

• 4. At 1:48pm on 06 Aug 2008, U12868332 wrote:

Hello, thanks for the great piece. To answer Bigsister, Jon and I were taken to Ft william and then i went on to Inverness and Newcastle hospitals. I was inside until July that year then in and out until around sept 07 with a left leg that wasnt healing until we put it in an Ilizarov frame for 6 months. I got back to fulltime air ambulance work in december 07, did 22 shifts then had a nasty microlight crash on dec 30th 07!!!
    So mr Lucky is now recovering form a pile of broken bones from that escapade. Just starting to hobble around on crutches. banned from anything more dangerous than knitting with round needles. Jon was also with me in that crash and gets his back to work interview next week. cheers.

• 5. At 2:04pm on 06 Aug 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Captain_tosspot (or Mr. Lucky - which you most definitely are!): Thank you for the update about your accident. Sounds like you and Jon should keep well away from mountains and winged transport for a while ;o)

It took me a couple of years to get anywhere near full use of my left leg after my accident, but I considered myself extremely lucky to have survived a very serious accident. I'll never forget the skills and care of the emergency services, though I do remember getting rather annoyed with the policemen who kept asking me my name and address as I lay trapped and in major pain. Presumably checking that I was still conscious, but seriously threatening my sanity, in the circumstances!

Hope you make a fully recovery before too long and that your lucky star keeps shining for you.

• 6. At 5:33pm on 06 Aug 2008, needsanewnickname wrote:

I see you've still got Sylar on your pm page, Eric.