Andy Swiss and his Olympic Desk of Sport.

Eddie Mair | 11:54 UK time, Friday, 15 August 2008

He is our star of the Games. Here are some photos of Andy, the team, and the scenes. And of course the Desk of Sport....

deska.JPG

deskc.JPG
The Birds Nest at Night

deskb.JPG
Andy and Peter with Karen our fixer in the pool

deski.JPG
The Mascots"

Comments

• 1. At 12:14pm on 15 Aug 2008, Hugh_Z_Hackenbach wrote:

Eric,
    They look worn out, the poor souls ... lucky you, sitting in the air-conditioned splendour of S1!

• 2. At 12:48pm on 15 Aug 2008, DI_Wyman wrote:

poor things, it must sheer Hell for them.

But at least we know they won't be telling porkies when they claim for Coke on their expenses!

• 3. At 1:02pm on 15 Aug 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

Other people holiday pictures are always boring.......

• 4. At 2:14pm on 15 Aug 2008, MaeTron wrote:

Andy, a tidy desk is a tidy mind.........and sadly I think I look like one of those mascots. Where was that diet sheet....hmmmm note to self a tidy desk..................
    M x

• 5. At 4:27pm on 15 Aug 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

Pic 8... A fixer ? yer right..... Is that what you put on your expense account?

• 6. At 8:33pm on 15 Aug 2008, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Andy, do you think you could bring yourself to stop calling people from these islands 'Brits'? That's some sort of award for popular music, not a person.

And you wouldn't talk about any of the other nationalities by a mildly derogatory nickname or shortening, would you. No Frogs or Nips or Yanks....

• 7. At 10:05pm on 15 Aug 2008, RJMolesworth wrote:

Chris 6
    What can you expect from a bloke called Swiss Andy?

• 8. At 5:23pm on 16 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

Wow! More medals for Brits in rich peoples' events.

• 9. At 5:47pm on 16 Aug 2008, DI_Wyman wrote:

D_Mc, yep it's what we do best.....it is called kulture....part of our history. We bin doin it for years, younger nations and ex colonies will get their chance eventually!

• 10. At 09:00am on 17 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

DI_W 9, And they are sooooo thrilling to watch. I tape and ff through them.

• 11. At 09:09am on 17 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

DI_W 9, Next Oxbridge boat race, check to see where the teams come from.

• 12. At 10:34am on 17 Aug 2008, Gillianian wrote:

David McNickle - a bit of information for you - my daughter's a rower. She lives in a rented house because she hasn't got enough money for a deposit to buy one. After being in a full time job for a year she has only just started to earn enough to begin paying off her student loan. The only reason she has a car is because it came with the job, so all she has to pay for is petrol for her private use.
    They're not all rich!! And since when did you need to be rich to go swimming??

• 13. At 10:37am on 17 Aug 2008, DI_Wyman wrote:

D_Mc, they have to come over here to get a decent education!

• 14. At 10:59am on 17 Aug 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

Dave (8) light the blue touch paper and stand well back

• 15. At 11:04am on 17 Aug 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

At least our gold medals are real as team GB doesn't have enough funding to afford non-detectable drugs

• 16. At 11:05am on 17 Aug 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

• 17. At 3:56pm on 17 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

Gillianianianian 12, I've been following sports since the 1950s. Get a sense of humo(u)r.

• 18. At 3:58pm on 17 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

DI_W 13, They are here because you don't have enough intelligent rowers to fill the Oxbridge teams.

• 19. At 4:00pm on 17 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

Tbird 15, British runners get around that by skipping their tests. Unless they are Chambers.

Wot was your 16??

• 20. At 4:06pm on 17 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

And somebody needs to check the water in Jamaica. Their women were 1,2,3 in the 100m as well as Bolt, er, running away with the mens 100m. Of course, Powell was cr*p, as usual, when the chips were down.

You must have to be rich to swim. How many black swimmers did you see in the Olympics? Or are blacks just poor swimmers?

• 21. At 4:10pm on 17 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

G 12, When I was in college I lived in a cardboard box.

• 22. At 5:33pm on 17 Aug 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

In my 16, was a reference to my 5, just went a bit over the top, silly me

• 23. At 10:55pm on 17 Aug 2008, U10783173 wrote:

DMcN (17) - I live in a little place called Coleraine in Northern Ireland. We sent three rowers to the Olympics - two rowing for GB and one rowing for Ireland. Two of them finished 5th in the finals and one just missed the finals by one place. Knowing all three families, I can assure you that they ain't 'rich people'. Rich in enthusiasm and passion for sport, yes.

I like most of the comments that you post, and I understand that you mostly intend to be humo(u)rous. But you messed up a bit this time.

• 24. At 11:32pm on 17 Aug 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Rowing has always had an international appeal, and is a great team sport because it relies absolutely on 'pulling together'. In the case of the Oxbridge teams (which have an international flavour, it's true - but the flavour reflects the make up of the universities) nationality is simply not an issue.

I speak as somebody who was girlfriend and chief cheerleader of the Jesus College rowing captain many moons ago, and who now - through my SO - has connections with the Cambridge team and with Cornish gig rowers, which we meet up with from time to time. For them, rowers are judged by their ability, not their nationality.

I hope, if the Frog ever spawns a rowing team, David McN will be able to join it in the true spirit of rowing! ;o)

• 25. At 10:06am on 18 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

Tbird 22, Fixated on fixers, eh?

• 26. At 10:17am on 18 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

TIH 23, Con't fool me, they're all rich.

BS 24, I hate water sports. Half of the 2008 Oxbridge teams were furriners: Australia, Tasmania, Germany, and the US. Five were from the US, including, ta da, one from Cleveland, and the cox from Cambridge was from, ta da, St Albans.

• 27. At 10:20am on 18 Aug 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Yep, David, I was aware - in fact, I was there. Ghastly day on the towpath, though.

We'd allow you, a furriner, in our team. Even though you're from St. Albans. :o)

• 28. At 10:24am on 18 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

• 29. At 10:26am on 18 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

BS 27, St Albans and Cleveland.

• 30. At 10:28am on 18 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

BS 27, I think I'd choose to row for Kenyon College.

• 31. At 10:37am on 18 Aug 2008, Big Sister wrote:

DMc (30): Probably better for the FrogTeam as you might be tempted to rock the boat ;)

• 32. At 10:42am on 18 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

TIH 23, I thought that might have too much info. I will rephrase it. I should have you look up the families with my name where you live. I think there are two.

• 33. At 10:45am on 18 Aug 2008, U10783173 wrote:

Big Sis (27) - If we are making up teams can I be in the coxed 8? I take it that you will you be in the boat that has the rowers with no cox.

• 34. At 11:26am on 18 Aug 2008, U10783173 wrote:

DMcN (32) - Didn't see your (28). But there are two with your name listed in the telphone directory.

• 35. At 11:34am on 18 Aug 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Horse: You may be right. In fact, I'm up for gigging, as that's great fun.

But your rowing wordplay has reminded me of a very embarrassing childhood memory. Travelling home from school one afternoon on top of a London bus, we were crossing the Thames where some rowing crews were out on practice. Quite innocently (but also too loudly!) I commented to my girly friends that what I liked about rowing was the way the cox went 'In' 'Out'. Some boys from a neighbouring school were sitting behind us, and collapsed into roars of laughter, followed by verbal jibes at me. I was only twelve at the time, and somebody had to explain to me how I'd managed, in all innocence, to make a very rude joke.

I caught the later bus for the next week or so. :o)

• 36. At 4:04pm on 18 Aug 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

TIH 34, Unfortunately, I mentioned the streets they live on. Near you?

• 37. At 11:51am on 20 Aug 2008, Aperitif wrote:

Righto, I'm intrigued: Why does living near the Horse suggest wealth?