Shatner Week: Emmy Nomination!

Eddie Mair | 09:23 UK time, Saturday, 19 July 2008

shatner.jpgWhat an incredible way to end Shatner week here on the PM Blog:

This from the showbusiness bible, Variety. (You are looking for SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA)

Come September 21st I'm sure we are all hoping Bill can repeat the moment above, when, as Bill recalls in his book, he said to the audience "What took you so long?"

Share your joy with Bill here.

Comments

• 1. At 10:01am on 19 Jul 2008, annasee wrote:

Haven't got time to look at the link (off to play for a civil partnership ceremony...) but is he nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role on this blog in "Shatner Week"?

I heard you on the radio at some ungodly hour this morning, Eddie. Unfortunately I dozed through a bit of it, (not your fault, honest) but I'm sure I heard you say "I'm not needy, am I?". Unless I dreamt it?

• 2. At 10:11am on 19 Jul 2008, eddiemair wrote:

You dreamt it.

• 3. At 11:26am on 19 Jul 2008, DI_Wyman wrote:

annasee, surely as it has been "Shatner Week"; Bill should be nominated for Best Leading Actor and Eddie would be the Best Supporting Actor?

• 4. At 11:57am on 19 Jul 2008, H_Z_Hackenbach wrote:

annasee(1)
    I thought I heard it too. Couldn't be sure but after a week of Shatner and Star Trek ... it may have been "nerdy" :)

• 5. At 3:56pm on 19 Jul 2008, U11204129 wrote:

I still say it's a toupe. What do you think, Eddie? I ask as a wearer (when I can find it)

Can we have a 'great toupes' Photos thread, please?

And ask Andrew Neil, who is keeping your seat warm (so to speak) at the Daily Politics (etc), to give the prize mugs away.

• 6. At 3:59pm on 19 Jul 2008, gossipmistress wrote:

He looks like that flower should squirt water.....

• 7. At 4:33pm on 19 Jul 2008, steelpulse wrote:

I don't watch Boston Legal. It is about lawyers you know?

"That the scale (of the acting) has become clear?" Nominated for an Emmy? Wow! I cannot compete with young master Shatner.

The Ace Of Spader "perhaps we were not entertaining enough" (Star Trek - the Original series).

Home, James - Spader or Kirk - it makes no nevermind. Yes - take me home to Daddy!

If I wanted lawyers acting on my behalf.....lol

• 8. At 7:34pm on 19 Jul 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Eddie: Who will be your special guest next week? Perhaps we can contribute some nominations?

Howzabout a Jimmy Saville week? Or David Niven?

I'd go for Eric Morecambe. I know that would be popular.

Other nominations?

• 9. At 9:22pm on 19 Jul 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

Big Sis, We all know those crazy kids on PM can perform miracles but talking to the dead is probably beyond them and I daresay more than a little creepy. In saying that I’m sure Today could do it.

• 10. At 11:06pm on 19 Jul 2008, Big Sister wrote:

But, T-bird, it does have a kind of appeal, doesn't it? ;o)

• 11. At 02:18am on 20 Jul 2008, U11204129 wrote:

You mean, given the quality we get from the living?

• 12. At 08:12am on 20 Jul 2008, U11235707 wrote:

Geebus!

All those nominations, wouldn't it be more efficient and carbon friendly if instead of shipping in all those nominated you simply awarded wooden spoons to the few who were left off the list?

For acceptance speeches the un-nominated would then have to give a public explanation of why they failed in the public eye.

Those who refuse get bared from funding for two years; it would be much more audience friendly, and I dare say would be a much needed douche to the deluded.

I would love to hear the apology from those idiots that produce 'Womans hour'.

• 13. At 08:42am on 20 Jul 2008, RJMolesworth wrote:

Woa! Jimmy!

You are attacking the shibolith that women need their own programme on the BBC. You could have unspeakable things done to you by these harridans.

But you are right, it has to change completely or it needs to go.

• 14. At 12:19pm on 20 Jul 2008, U11235707 wrote:

@13
    Or we could always have 'Taliban hour', just to address the balance.

:))

• 15. At 1:15pm on 20 Jul 2008, U11204129 wrote:

shibolith? SHIBOLITH?

I got profanity filtered for that!

OR RATHER FOR SPELLING IT AS FIREFOX REQUIRES.

So we have a profanity filter fussy about spelling!!!!

• 16. At 4:28pm on 20 Jul 2008, steelpulse wrote:

Taliban Hour? James Giro? How about that?

lol

Tom Cruise's - Mission Impossible 42.

Ethan Hunt - your mission should you wish to accept it is to escape from the Scientology movement - and actually act your age.

• 17. At 5:27pm on 20 Jul 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

Jimmy (14) My children have that every Friday and Saturday at approximately nine o'clock…… We call it the telly-ban

• 18. At 5:28pm on 20 Jul 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

SP (16) You should of said shoe-size, he may find that easier

• 19. At 5:49pm on 20 Jul 2008, U11204129 wrote:

On the whole, I'm glad we've had a Sh*tn*r week.

'Cos he's someone I've heard of (wasn't he that porky bloke always getting in the way of a good view of Lt. Uhuru?)

I've accepted long ago that if I open Hello in the doctor's/dentist's weighting room (I'm a little obese and have a lot of teeth that need looking after) I can confidently expect to have heard of nobody at all in the pages thereof.

Six current footballers, three ex Spice girls, and Andrew Flintoff is all I know and they are in OK etc a surprisingly small amount of the time.

From troubles of the world, like Big Sister, I turn to the dead.

But the Obit pages in my trusty daily rag are full of people I've never heard of before either.

Apparently they were all creators of the world as we know/knew it, busy creating it at the heights of their powers when I was 20. I hadn't heard of them, then, either. It's not a memory problem, doctor.

Never mind.

Turning to birthdays, which surely should cover the current crop of people we should know about, I average three out of twenty. People who ring a bell, for me, you understand. Always old people I used to see on the box.

Saturday is a good day 'cos I usually have heard of about 6 then. But that's out of 40 'cos my daily prints a Sunday list then as well.

Talk about 'Life is what happens whilst you're busy making plans'.

This set of the dead and the quick apparently set the agendas, the parameters, the very texture, of life today and of yesteryear.

Apparently, without my permission, as they used to say.

So I'm delighted, really that Shatner stars on this blog.

He's aging well, That may be because he looks better anyway without the pointed ears but I think it's modern toupet work that does it for him.

• 20. At 10:34pm on 20 Jul 2008, MarcusAureliusII wrote:

Nominated for an enema award for the best supporting actor. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Demoted to...hmmm ....why do you Brits say leftenant instead of lieutenant? If there is a leftenant, is there a rightenant? How about a wrong tenant? What if you rented out a flat to the wrong tenant, could you evict him? Why do you call it a flat instead of an apartment? Are apartments in Britain less vertical and hence flatter than in the US? Are they flatter flats? Would you rent out a flat to a leftenant? How about to William Shatner? What if he wins the enema award?

• 21. At 10:48pm on 20 Jul 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

MA (20) Oh dear......

Do you own a dictionary? If you did maybe you cn look it up

• 22. At 11:44pm on 20 Jul 2008, Aperitif wrote:

Thunderbird (21), Um, glass houses?... see the grammar section... ("Should have" or "should've", btw)

• 23. At 11:45pm on 20 Jul 2008, Aperitif wrote:

JimmyGiro, why are you so angry at women?

• 24. At 10:15am on 21 Jul 2008, U11235707 wrote:

@23
    I'm angry at feminists and feminism.

Why aren't you?

• 25. At 10:30am on 21 Jul 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

MAII 20, Is a lootenant on the privy council?

• 26. At 10:32am on 21 Jul 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

pmLeader 19, Are you Chinese? Is your real name On Too Long?

• 27. At 1:30pm on 21 Jul 2008, Big Sister wrote:

JimmyG: I know we've already come to blows about these issues and I can see that Appy also seems to share my reaction to your comments. So perhaps, just so we know where we're arguing from, you could offer us your personal definition of feminists and feminism.

• 28. At 1:57pm on 21 Jul 2008, vainly_here wrote:

Appy (23) They used to take all our (men's) jobs - until immigrants took on that task.

PML (19) "From troubles of the world, like Big Sister, I turn to the dead." And how can the dead help you deal with Big Sister and other troubles of the world?

The Furrowed Brow: used to be "The Place for serious talk?" No place any more - Eddie's lost in, well, Turkey, perhaps.

• 29. At 2:05pm on 21 Jul 2008, U11235707 wrote:

@27
    Feminists practice feminism, which is a cult of misanthropy.

Women are the gender behind which feminists hide.

• 30. At 2:23pm on 21 Jul 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Jimmy, I think your definition is cr*p.

• 31. At 4:14pm on 21 Jul 2008, mittfh wrote:

PML@19: I think the same whenever the contestant list is announced for televised "celebrity" contests - whether it is Strictly... [1], ...Ice [2], ...Get Me Out Of Here [3], Celeb Big Bother [4] or any of the others. I usually recognise a handful, but the rest are a complete mystery (including the soap stars!)

[1] The only one of the bunch I watch.
    [2] Lost interest on the first series after several no-hopers were praised like mad by the judges.
    [3] The only one I occasionally tuned into was the one with Jennie Bond. No doubt as did inhabitants of a certain London residence...
    [4] The only "interesting" segment of which I remember - and that only because of the news footage - was Jack Dee's escape attempts in CBB1

• 32. At 4:32pm on 21 Jul 2008, nikki noodle wrote:

I am in far too good a mood to get riled by any postings on a virtual blog....but there are times!!!!

Misanthropy - a hatred of human beings - (yes, I know anthros is the Greek for man) is probably best described in Molière's well-known work eponymously titled; and finding fault with everyone is easy to do, as none of us is perfect.

The origins of the Feminist Movement up until the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's was concerned with correcting historic inequalities; fundamentally these include: voting, owning property, pay, having a mortgage, and childcare.

From then onwards, like so many Movements, there have been branches and splits off.

It is totally up to each individual to hold their ideas - and even to post them if they are not abusive.

Post (29) indicates a lumping together of so many unrelated peoples and ideas that there is nowhere to begin a discussion or debate.

"The things we fear or hate reflect our soul."

• 33. At 4:52pm on 21 Jul 2008, U11235707 wrote:

@32
    What do you fear or hate?

• 34. At 00:36am on 24 Jul 2008, evenmorelovely wrote:

Lay off, everyone: he's a good bloke. He does, however, raise some existential questions:
    1.Is Shatner a verb or a noun, a Person or a Process?
    2.Do we secretly fear that there may be a Shatner in each of us?
    3.Does Shatner represent our Dark Side, or simply the Ridiculous Side of what it is. To be. Human?
    4.Does he remind us of our. Propensity. For. Cosmic. Naffness?
    5.Or is he the first post-modern tv actor? In other words, if we take-the-p***, does he circuitously us-the-p***-take-out-of?

• 35. At 02:35am on 24 Jul 2008, evenmorelovely wrote:

"You're laughin' with him,
    But he's laughin' at you,
    'Cos you think Shatner's cool".

• 36. At 09:06am on 24 Jul 2008, Big Sister wrote:

I had a quiet snigger last night while watching an episode of Father Ted ('Night of the Neally Dead', for the benefit of Ted fans) in which Ted is re-reading William Shatner's 'Tek War'. It immediately reminded me of Eddie.

I was, of course,thinking of Eddie's Shatner week, along with the postings about the arrest of Karadicz, Father Ted's doppelganger.