Kayaks.

Eddie Mair | 10:55 UK time, Wednesday, 16 July 2008

After yesterday's controversy in our 11.00 meeting, related to the difference between a kayak and a canoe (it was because of this story) we received this email from Sam - a kayak and canoe coach.

"I'm emailing to enlighten you about the difference between kayaks and canoes.
Canoes are knelt in and paddled with a single bladed paddle. Traditionally paddled by American Indians and Ray Mears. Kayaks are sat in and paddled with a double bladed paddle. Traditionally paddled by Inuits. It's nothing to do with being 'enclosed'. It is possible to paddle a closed cockpit canoe which looks like a kayak but is knelt in and paddled using a single bladed paddle.

Confused?"

Comments

• 1. At 11:13am on 16 Jul 2008, Stephen - Leader of STROP wrote:

A light shineth in the darkness

and the darkness comprehendeth it not!

• 2. At 11:24am on 16 Jul 2008, mittfh wrote:

Right, so it's all down to the paddles (the canoe/kayak equivalent of oars).

A kayak has a paddle with two blades (the flattened bit that enters the water) - one on each end. So the single person craft you often see on rivers is technically a kayak, even though it may belong to a canoe club!

A canoe has a paddle with one blade - effectively a short oar.

Still confused? Try a popular search engine image search...

• 3. At 11:26am on 16 Jul 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

I didn't expect that the moderators would allow us to talk abour oars with such gay-abandon

• 4. At 11:45am on 16 Jul 2008, Mrs Effingham wrote:

Me thinks Gordon Brown is up a certain creek without a paddle.

• 5. At 11:54am on 16 Jul 2008, Simon wrote:

Or the over-sexed Red Indian brave who knelt in his canoe, took eight strokes and shot off across the lake.

That'll be modded for certain!

WR.

• 6. At 11:57am on 16 Jul 2008, Fearless Fred wrote:

WR (5) Classic!!! You've just made me almost spill my coffee on the keyboard ;-)

• 7. At 12:09pm on 16 Jul 2008, gossipmistress wrote:

It's a kayak, Jim, but not as we canoe it.....

• 8. At 1:45pm on 16 Jul 2008, steelpulse wrote:

13.40pm

Confused? Never - he laughed, whilst listening to a programme on boasting and boastful behaviour.

But I turned my kayak around and what is this? Not the Rapids - obviously not - with my luck. White Water Rafting isn't it called? No, I am not confused at all.

That Dorothy Parker quip about Yale students mentioned yesterday in the same breath as the wonderful women of BBC radio. Oh dearie me.

Forget me in my kayak and the rapids, Eddie.

I am in real trouble aren't I? lol