Bits and bobs.

Eddie Mair | 10:34 UK time, Monday, 28 July 2008

Or is it bits 'n' bobs?

We got lots of lovely emails on Friday from listeners in far flung places with all sorts of temperatures. If I get time today I might post some.

Also: the power of suggestion...did anyone else start to get hot during the interview about the hot curry on Friday? I did, when I was recording it, and again when it was broadcast.

Coming soon: loads more photos from Hugh in China.

And a question: does the Furrowed Brow really need renewed every week?

Comments

• 1. At 10:49am on 28 Jul 2008, annasee wrote:

"to be" or not to be, that is the missing bit- ( from the end of Eddie's post.)

I did get to hear the curry interview. I was just thinking that I would never want to try anything so hot. I still have my taste buds working, and would quite like to keep them that way, thanks. Brother-in-law in Oz has ruined his by constantly eating hot chillies with practically every meal. Pickles the ones he grows in the garden, and eats them complete with the seeds. Several at a time. Now that is tough! Whenever some of the boys get together, it always turns into a macho chilli-eating contest. What is it about boys and hot food???

• 2. At 11:04am on 28 Jul 2008, U11204129 wrote:

There is a long queue of punsters trying to define what sort of liar each and every politician is.

Brown is regarded as one pained by it's necessity, Blair thrilled by the Nobility of it, Bill Clinton by the sheer pleasure of it and Bush unable to know when he's doing it and when not - if ever.

What sort do you think Cameron will turn out to be?

Personally, I think these politicians are getting us liars, and lying, a bad name.

• 3. At 11:05am on 28 Jul 2008, Fearless Fred wrote:

In answer to your question, Eddie, i think you only need to renew the Furrowed Brow if it gets unduly long (say about 100 comments). I've noticed that nowadays the Brow tends to go in fits and starts, whenever someone gets worked up enough about something that they need to let off steam about.

Oh, as an aside, I got confirmation that the postcard posted to my parents (posted at the same time as I'd posted on to PM) arrived on Friday. So, two and a half weeks to get from Poland to UK via land, and less than two weeks to get to Australia by air. Makes perfect sense to me - NOT!

• 4. At 11:11am on 28 Jul 2008, AMrsTrellisNthWales wrote:

Dear Ms Kearney,
    I hear you're very handy at flower arranging. Can you tell me if it's best to put the self-raising in front of, or behind the plain stuff.
    Many thanks,
    Mrs Trellis.

• 5. At 11:25am on 28 Jul 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Furrowed Brow? I'm with Fred on that. In fact, it might work better if it isn't renewed too often as debates can be stalled along with the weekly change.

Perhaps, though, if there's a debate that rages on and on, it might be possible to devote a thread to it? In fact, there's an idea - should the Furrowed Brow morph into separate debating strands, at least on major topics (e.g. war, global warming) with perhaps a diddy one for more 'minor' issues?

• 6. At 11:29am on 28 Jul 2008, Fifi wrote:

Re Furrowed Brow - I'm with Fearless on this one. It's not necessary to renew it so often, and in fact it spoils the flow when reading it (far more informative than books or wiki-things!) especially if it's been a bit slow.

I'd schedule it for every 2 weeks or even once a month. That's plenty.

Re Power Of Suggestion - it wasn't just that it was in fact a hot day on Friday? Or one's hormones.....?

I'll get me coat!

• 7. At 11:30am on 28 Jul 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

Mrs T

Using the name of a comedic creation of someone who is no longer with us would in certain circles be classed as bad-form.

• 8. At 11:52am on 28 Jul 2008, annasee wrote:

Thunderbird - using the name of a children's TV puppet show no longer with us would in certain circles also be classed as bad form.

Not here though, luckily.

• 9. At 12:17pm on 28 Jul 2008, U10783173 wrote:

AMrsTrellisNthWales (4) - Haha! - Keep them coming please!

• 10. At 12:44pm on 28 Jul 2008, Deepthought wrote:

Thunderbird (7),

You think my nom-de-Frog is bad form?

• 11. At 12:44pm on 28 Jul 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

Anna (8) Childrens! what do you mean childrens? Sponge Bob is for children, Thunderbirds is for anyone who enjoys a cigarette after saving the world

• 12. At 12:58pm on 28 Jul 2008, U11204129 wrote:

Our town is plagued with road works. And temporary traffic lights for the (extensive one way bits). Which lights turn off and on exactly when they think they will. Which is so infrequent I usually switch off and read the paper at one on the way home.

So today, going, there were no lights just the usual bunch of blokes (not a single woman hoping for a medal) in yellow with hardhats.

I swear if there hadn't been a car coming straight towards me at about forty I never would have seen the bloke with the Stop - Go, red - green lollipop for grown ups, in amongst the other yellow men, at all.

• 13. At 1:00pm on 28 Jul 2008, U11204129 wrote:

Which reminds me, thinking of street carnage.

Is your step daughter all right, Big Sister (blasphemy narrowly avoided there)?

I hope so. You told us all she was in Istanbul, earlier.

• 14. At 1:52pm on 28 Jul 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Re: Carol Vorderman.

Talk about "constructive dismissal"... No matter how much you get paid, being offered a pay cut of 90% is an incredible insult.

Maybe the young, thrusting execuboys at C4 didn't realise that she does adding up for a living and could recognise what a cut that was.

I look forward to the new version - presumably starring Ant and/or Dec with numbers by Jordan - failing after one episode.

• 15. At 2:11pm on 28 Jul 2008, Aperitif wrote:

Re the newsletter:

I wish to attempt to comply with your instructions: How does one "neil upward"?

• 16. At 2:17pm on 28 Jul 2008, U10783173 wrote:

SSCat (14) - On the other hand perhaps some of the "thrusting execuboys at C4" did some adding up of their own and figured out that 100,000 quid was a more appropriate figure than 1,000,000 quid. And I think it might have been a thrusting execugirl.

• 17. At 2:30pm on 28 Jul 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Intermittent H (16):

In which case they should have had a meeting at which they said something along the lines of, "We need to get someone cheaper, sorry," rather than the unprofessional (but all too common) "Here's an offer we know you won't take, but it saves us doing own own dirty work and sacking you."

• 18. At 2:50pm on 28 Jul 2008, U10783173 wrote:

SSCat - If it is a case of renewing a contract, then it is not a matter of "sacking" but being unable to agree a new arrangement.

I agree that a 90% cut in remuneration is a bit severe, but perhaps the level was much too high to start with.

• 19. At 3:08pm on 28 Jul 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Horsey (18):

On the first point, I wonder if TV presenters are covered by the legislation that says if you're on a series of fixed term contracts for more than 4 years, you have to be treated as if you have a permanent contract? If so, then there shouldn't be any difference between those two points.

On the second point, you may well be right. If C4 management have suddenly got a conscience about inflated pay levels, I look forward to seeing the five executive directors dropping their combined salary bill to a mere 210,000 (10% of their current bill).

• 20. At 3:28pm on 28 Jul 2008, U10783173 wrote:

SSCat (19) - Nope - there is no prospect of TV presenters operating under that legislation. Their employers wouldn't want them to and the Presenters certainly wouldn't want it. More akin to professional footballers and Bosman ruling, I think.

As for the C4 executive directors, even at their current salary, you're still getting 2.5 directors for every Carol Vorderman!

• 21. At 3:45pm on 28 Jul 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Not-always-there-quadraped (20):

She's on (puts little finger to corner of mouth) one *million* pounds a year? Eep!

I hope she put some of that under the mattress for a sunny day then.

• 22. At 4:09pm on 28 Jul 2008, U10783173 wrote:

SSCat - Believe it or not, we have someone in the office who bought a copy of the Daily Express today - I can only assume that he was still asleep on his way to work.

Anyway, the Daily Express says, and it must be true because it describes itself in its strapline as "The World's Greatest Newspaper", that Ms Voderman's current contract with Countdown is for 1.5 million to make 250 episodes a year.

So that would be more than 3.5 directors for every Carol Vorderman!

• 23. At 4:57pm on 28 Jul 2008, Stewart_M wrote:

Horse, so that means she gets £6000 per episode? Not bad considering they record more than one at once.
    However what's wrong with employing a new maths graduate with her adding up skills to take over her role?
    Then again, perhaps countdown has had its day!!!!!!

• 24. At 5:07pm on 28 Jul 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

Tbird 7, So, no more Shakespeare comedies, then? (Not that I find them all that funny.)

• 25. At 6:06pm on 28 Jul 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Horse (22), Stewart (23):

6000 pounds an episode is pretty good for adding up and having nice hair.

Does anyone know what happened to the lass who used to do the letters before "The Vord" took over them as well as the numbers?

Perhaps she could come back and do both?

• 26. At 6:19pm on 28 Jul 2008, Deepthought wrote:

I thought Carol Vorderman was supposed to be on the programme this evening, rather than Richard Whiteley's partner. I hope it was not because the appearance fee was not large enough ;-)

• 27. At 3:04pm on 29 Jul 2008, jonnie wrote:

Very windy and down to 19.8 in Bournemouth

• 28. At 3:51pm on 29 Jul 2008, U10783173 wrote:

jonnie (27) - Take a couple of Rennies, fill a hot-water bottle and head off to bed. You should be OK in the morning. :o)

• 29. At 4:29pm on 29 Jul 2008, mittfh wrote:

I'm sure I've seen a computer program that can take the numbers and target and work out the sums involved...

IIRC, it was written for Les Numbres et les Chiffres (the French original) and is freeware...

There are probably freeware programs that will take 9 letters and rearrange them into the longest possible word from the OED.

So in theory, all you'd need was a work experience student (to do the I/O) and a computer...

• 30. At 4:30pm on 29 Jul 2008, Stewart_M wrote:

Mittfh, won't it be in French??

• 31. At 4:52pm on 29 Jul 2008, U10783173 wrote:

• 32. At 5:22pm on 29 Jul 2008, U10783173 wrote:

So, zee leetle beet of French, meanz zat a comment ees imediatly errazed. Sacre Bleu!

• 33. At 5:57pm on 29 Jul 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

SSC 25, Originally, one person put up the numbers, Beverley Isherwood, and another the letters, Kathy Hynter. The hostess in series 14-16 was Karen Loughlin and in series 17, Lucy Summers. Vorderman has been the hostess since then, 1980. I Googled this, so assume it is true. I didn't Google to see where they are now.

• 34. At 6:10pm on 29 Jul 2008, needsanewnickname wrote:

You ave a translation simultaneous wiz your leetle beet of Frrench to poot, Horse Intermittent, or one might you suspect of something naughty to do.