What's in your favourites folder?

Eddie Mair | 14:14 UK time, Monday, 30 June 2008

A regular feature on our sister programme iPM involves us asking someone famous about their internet favourites: those sites they've bookmarked to access regularly.

In previous editions Martha Lane Fox told us about Patient Opinion, the illusionist Derren Brown revealed his interest in parrots, and Armando Ianucci pointed us towards Martian FM. You can read and hear about their choices and all iPM's internet favourites by clicking here.

sirclive.jpg

The reason I'm bothering you with all of this is that for this week's iPM, Chris Vallance approached the famous British inventor Sir Clive Sinclair to ask about his internet favourites. His answer, which you can hear in PM tonight, might surprise you.

Evening update: want to hear the interview? Click here.

Comments

• 1. At 3:49pm on 30 Jun 2008, Fearless Fred wrote:

That's a bit biased Eddie. Other browsers use the term Bookmarks, not Favourites.

• 2. At 3:55pm on 30 Jun 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

In the real world it is hard to top the fast and versatile Stahl K-66 4KTL.

• 3. At 4:53pm on 30 Jun 2008, mygloriousleader wrote:

I keep a bar of chocolate in my favourites folder but if you asked me what's in my favorites (pronounced fav or ites) it'll be riprods dot co dot uk because I like to check that I haven't been hacked.....(mods I'm starting the clock to see this modded out of existance....;o)

• 4. At 5:36pm on 30 Jun 2008, Aperitif wrote:

Are you asking about the specific "Favorites" folder or the sub-folder therein marked "fun"?

• 5. At 9:21pm on 30 Jun 2008, Deepthought wrote:

FF (1)

Hear hear!

I'm not sure if Sir C's claims to fame would really stand up to the test of time. ZX's were, true, a really cheap way into "computing", (my programmable calculator proved to be faster than the ZX81 on a mathematical issue, it was done in parallel to check against data entry errors) but note that neither they, or C*mm*d*re, or any other early entrant actually became the systems people now use, or could even use as a springboard - it had to be relearnt.

Maybe the C5 would have succeeded in a situation where the other road users were these horizontal cyclists who need a flag to show up to other road users. But in London traffic?

• 6. At 01:48am on 01 Jul 2008, MarcusAureliusII wrote:

It may not be quite as fast as Harry Potter's Nimbus 2000 but it gets better gas mileage and that's good for the Envirnoment. See ya later, I'm off to Scotland.

• 7. At 08:23am on 01 Jul 2008, gossipmistress wrote:

Appy - I also have a subfolder with that name!x

• 8. At 12:39pm on 01 Jul 2008, mygloriousleader wrote:

Interesting chap Sir Clive. He would often be found in his local drinking and literally designing things on the back of a fag packet. (So I was told by a friend who drank in the same pub.)

You know you can pick up a C5 on ebay for under 200 squid.

• 9. At 4:35pm on 01 Jul 2008, mittfh wrote:

I only tend to store long URLs in my "list of frequently accessed webpages" (to avoid using either proprietry term).

Currently they include local BBC Travel News, the Council Tax Valuation List (useful for postcode validation - often more up-to-date than the royal snail), and the weather (from the ForecastFox people). Oh, and the analogue clock from the BBC homepage...

For shorter URLs, I tend to type them directly into the address bar - including www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/pm, an encyclopedia that "anyone can edit", a well known search engine and the daily cartoons by Illiad and Scott Adams.

• 10. At 11:23pm on 01 Jul 2008, ValeryP wrote:

Subfolders? ah, that's where I'm going wrong - I can never find anything in the huge long list that I have!

• 11. At 11:53pm on 01 Jul 2008, Aperitif wrote:

I also have one called "interesting" and another called "possibilties" among my subfolders. I need an excuse to make one called "exciting"...

• 12. At 2:22pm on 02 Jul 2008, gossipmistress wrote:

I also have a folder caller 'Speke smell'

• 13. At 00:24am on 03 Jul 2008, ValeryP wrote: