The Glass Box for Friday

Marc | 15:33 UK time, Friday, 27 June 2008

Once again, it's your chance to be a radio critic! Tell us here, frankly, what you thought of tonight's programme. In the PM office we meet every night at 1800 in this Glass Box:

glasscati.JPG

We talk about the content of the programme and try to give an honest assessment of what worked and what didn't...the things we missed and the places where our ambitions were not met. THIS virtual glass box you are looking at is where you are invited - indeed encouraged - to be your own critic. Comment on our hour by clicking on the comment link. Members of the production team will read the comments, and the editor should comment too. Click on The Glass Box link on the right of the page to read previous entries.

Comments

• 1. At 4:38pm on 27 Jun 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Is your seat belt tightened, Ritula? - We're on your side!

Have a good ride!

• 2. At 4:38pm on 27 Jun 2008, Deepthought wrote:

Surely this glass box pic should contain Ritula?

• 3. At 4:58pm on 27 Jun 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

I would like to suggest a little five minute story for you today. Just look at the BBC 1 Questiontime web-site and read the comments about last nights show.

If the BBC wasn't funded by a licence fee then it would be funny

• 4. At 4:59pm on 27 Jun 2008, U11204129 wrote:

1.Good luck, regular bloggers! It's always a great ride with Ritula.

Hope all you regulars manage to endear yourselves to her as you have to C.Quinn and E.Meir (Whatever happened to them?
    Any Answers? 'Cos it ain't Any Questions this time. Nor is it the World at One)((:-))

2. She's got more sense than to be found dead in that menage a rit!

PS Does (:-) (:-) mean that that it was a joke is a joke?

Dr. H. please rap out the an-swear 'cos I need dit dit dit, dah dah dah, dit dit dit (as y'll guessed)

• 5. At 5:00pm on 27 Jun 2008, U11204129 wrote:

C'mon, let 3 in!

• 6. At 5:03pm on 27 Jun 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

No (:-) is a misspelling of something rather rude.....I think

• 7. At 5:05pm on 27 Jun 2008, Hugh_Z_Hackenbach wrote:

You can't get much fro £40M can you?

• 8. At 5:11pm on 27 Jun 2008, Thunderbird wrote:

what does that mean?

• 9. At 5:46pm on 27 Jun 2008, Hugh_Z_Hackenbach wrote:

TB (8)

I mean that at £40M divided by 31M6 taxpayers isn’t a great expense compared with the losses that governments incur in poorly managed IT/MOD/Social Services projects.

• 10. At 5:56pm on 27 Jun 2008, lordBeddGelert wrote:

Great show Ritula !

Especially the interview with O'Farrell - getting in touch with your inner 'Martha Kearney' side there..

• 11. At 6:05pm on 27 Jun 2008, dennisjunior1 wrote:

Great picture...

Hi Ritula....

• 12. At 6:15pm on 27 Jun 2008, steelpulse wrote:

Any show that starts with the horror that is Zimbabwe - well I had my serious face on throughtout, Ritula. But no problem with PMs quality.

It will take years to put into perspective what Mugabe is doing in the name of freedom and a free vote in his country.

A free vote - look at what can happen here - in Henley! Oh and John O'Farrell should have kept quiet - there was someone already line up to take the blame and it wasn't his former protegee.

And the Mandela concert. Not for me but I hope the rain stays away.

• 13. At 8:56pm on 27 Jun 2008, gallantSocrates wrote:

• 14. At 9:11pm on 27 Jun 2008, Gillianian wrote:

Well done Ritula - you obviously sailed through the Flume without being tipped out! ;o)

• 15. At 9:35pm on 27 Jun 2008, U10783173 wrote:

I rarely have an opportunity to listen to PM on a Saturday and am sorry to say that I didn't recognise Ritula's name. But tonight's PM was excellent, with interviewing technique matched to the topic. Too good to be restricted to a Saturday.

• 16. At 9:42pm on 27 Jun 2008, gallantSocrates wrote:

It would seem that perhaps the truth hurts...what a shame....and this is a supposed to be a democracy!!!!

Brian

Brian V Peck

• 17. At 9:51pm on 27 Jun 2008, Gillianian wrote:

Socrates (16) Maybe your comment was referred to the mods because it was rather ungallant?!

• 18. At 11:04pm on 27 Jun 2008, U11204129 wrote:

You're going to have to help me, here, Fearless Fred, but I think she is called Lisa Jardine. Hope that's right. Anyway, she's a prof.of cultural or scientific history at a London University. She's been ill recently but now seems back to fighting fitness.

Anyway, I was listening to her after any Answers (where I had hoped I'd find Eddie Mair but no such luck). Just a Dimbleby again.

Did I understand her rightly?

She seemed to me to be saying that in a choice between the Curies getting cancers and Marie's scientific contribution being recognised at the time, on the one hand ,and the Curies not getting cancers but Marie's contributions being attributed to her old man, she, Lisa, would, as a historian, choose the former as the preferred story for history to tell us.

At which the mind surely boggles.

History has done it's proper work, after all and those who know of the Curies are more likely to know Marie's name than Pierre's.

How CAN Jardine be right about that judgement?

I would much prefer that my own work, to the extent that it is of value, be attributed to anther (and hence KNOWN) than that my partner and I suffer cancer. Any other judgement seems too self important to be worth considering.

At the same time I am not a woman and Lisa, I believe, suffered from cancer in her recent illness.

Grayson Perry (considered in yesterday's Glass Booth) seems a better advocate of womanly virtues than Lisa who might. wrongly, to be thought to have a greater empathy with them. Naturalism can be very misleading.

I feel that everyone that is thinking it. Indeed, consider a young friend of mine, who heard that Nelson Mandela Park in Leicester is bordered by the prison and graced by a notice quoting Mandela as saying that one is only free with the first steps one takes to freedom. He, my young friend, reacted to the doubtful irony of such a quotation from such a man outside such a sad institution, by saying, with heavy and justifiable sarcasm, 'Yeah, apposite quotation, 'cos Mandela really knows about prisons'.

On tonight's programme we learn that Mandela is a great man because he forgives the legacy of Apartheid. As a Prince of his people is it really his legacy to forgive?

As my young friend said tonight, when I phoned him, 'Doesn't this just show that prolonged prison sentences secure compliance with the powerful, from the prisoner they placed there, whether the imprisonment was just or unjust?'

ISN'T that what we're all thinking (except those who relish or benefit from the legacies of Apartheid, of course - none of whom are to be found, I think, among Radio 4 listeners, and certainly not among PM bloggers)

Good night.

• 19. At 1:59pm on 28 Jun 2008, MarcusAureliusII wrote:

Be careful of the next to the last guy on the right, Sneaky. He'll steal your watch and your wallet faster than you can say jackrobinson. And he has a built in contact lens in his left eye that's a telescopic gemologists loop that can spot the difference between real jewelery and paste a mile away. Also be careful for the white cat Vivica behind the sofa directly above Sneaky in the photo. She'll scratch your eyes out just for the fun of it as soon as look at you if you don't keep your wits about you. Don't concern yourself with the guy in the corner to the right (on our left facing them) of Sneaky though. Grumpy's bark is much worse than his bite.

• 20. At 00:09am on 29 Jun 2008, Fifi wrote:

I think there's a vacancy at the Frogger's Refuge for Ritula... anyone agree?

Perfectly smooth prog by the way. Seamless. (Eddie who???)

;o)