The Glass Box for Thursday.

Eddie Mair | 12:54 UK time, Thursday, 29 May 2008

Be your own radio critic! Tell us here, frankly, what you thought of tonight's programme. In the PM office we meet every night at 1800 in this Glass Box:

glasscatc.JPG

We talk about the content of the programme and try to give an honest assessment of what worked and what didn't...the things we missed and the places where our ambitions were not met. THIS virtual glass box you are looking at is where you are invited - indeed encouraged - to be your own critic. Comment on our hour by clicking on the comment link. Members of the production team will read the comments, and the editor should comment too. Click on The Glass Box link on the right of the page to read previous entries.

Comments

• 1. At 1:09pm on 29 May 2008, Roger Sawyer wrote:

Have I really got to post in this Glass Menagerie after the programme this evening?

Rog

• 2. At 1:30pm on 29 May 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Yes, Roger. Other inmates will doubtless be welcomed - Perhaps you can contribute? :o)

• 3. At 3:26pm on 29 May 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Roger - I think you've earned your place here now, don't you? ;o)

• 4. At 3:41pm on 29 May 2008, needsanewnickname wrote:

I posted on the iPM thread about the Today programme message board being closed soon. I do hope the Frog is safe, Roger?

PS: you're not allergic to animals, I hope?

• 5. At 5:29pm on 29 May 2008, Sid wrote:

iPlayer reception v poor at present - likewise RealPlayer ... I'll have to switch the wireless on.

• 6. At 5:40pm on 29 May 2008, Sid wrote:

The doctor who wants pointy kitchen knives banned is plainly not a chef.

• 7. At 5:57pm on 29 May 2008, needsanewnickname wrote:

Here you go:

• 8. At 5:58pm on 29 May 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Re: adverts with or without parachutists.

My TV aerial plugs into my computer. Anythign I want to watch on a commercial channel, I record, then whizz it through the editing software to clip all the adverts out. That takes a couple of minutes. *Then* I watch the programme blissfully uninterrupted by inane witterings and desperate attempts to make me buy something I don't want.

You may have guessed I won't be watching this advert tonight.

• 9. At 6:04pm on 29 May 2008, needsanewnickname wrote:

Sid (5) I noticed that, too. But PM's over, so I think it's pottering-round-the-kitchen time with my old-fashioned FM device. O tempore, o mores.

Mods: that means: oh, this tempura, oh, I want more. Quotation from Marco Polo's freshly-minted account in Latin of his little-known day-trip to Japan.

• 10. At 6:23pm on 29 May 2008, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Frances O @9, I thought it meant 'O Times! O Daily Mirror!'

I was wondering, in a mild way, about oilseed rape. I can remember that being introduced, more or less, and I didn't know then and still don't know what it is *for*. What is made using this crop? Oil, yes, but what sort? Is it fit for human consumption, or is it entirely an animal-feed?

• 11. At 8:47pm on 29 May 2008, U11204129 wrote:

10. You don't expect Roger to tell you that, do you? That's Furrowed Brow stuff. It's a deMarcotion question, as 9. would have it.

So now we give products a mention on PM when it's sufficiently amusing so to do. Is Eddie adopting a 'We're media men, all in it together' voice a forewarning?

Hope y'all listened to the programme properly edited so you didn't have to hear the product name. Despite his best efforts SSR at 8 heard it good and strong.

The justification is lost on me, Roger, can you enlighten us? I would have thought the PM community was anti - adverts, otherwise we'd be listening elsewhere.

Does this mean that if an advertiser is sufficiently entertaining you will allow their product placements on this blog - and not just those of the house band and hotel?

• 12. At 8:47pm on 29 May 2008, burtonleo wrote:

two surprises in the programme......that there was no comment on the disastrous economic effects on farmers of buying modified seeds from monsanto......

there was no challenge to the comment that hamas came to power through a coup d'├ętat

• 13. At 08:19am on 30 May 2008, Big Sister wrote:

We're awaiting the entrance of the latest inmate of the Glass Menagerie - Roger in his elephant man outfit ;o)

• 14. At 09:17am on 30 May 2008, RJMolesworth wrote:

tr?darzec@12 The Hamas thing surprised me too, but then I guess if your are talking to someone who believes he is right and has persuaded the most powerful nations on Earth to support that view, having him display his bigotry in public is something of a coup in itself.

As for Monsanto, I rather liked the idea that we could save the world by allowing British farmers to grow GM crops. We wouldn't even become self sufficient. Fortunately, it isn't going to happen, at least until their patents expire.

• 15. At 12:38pm on 30 May 2008, Crumpsbrook wrote:

We seem to be spending a great deal of time talking about growing more food/ GM food etc. but the world has to take on board the fact that there are too many people and that the population is growing too fast. This should be discussed openly and not be seen as a taboo subject. This is where the real probelm lies and must be faced by politicians, religions and big business.

• 16. At 2:49pm on 30 May 2008, Big Sister wrote:

No word from Roger, then.

Is he on strike after Eddie's little prank, I wonder? ;o)

• 17. At 02:16am on 31 May 2008, U11204129 wrote:

16.

Hey, Big Sis, I support you (!). I think we've heard nothing from Roger 'cos he knows the programme's position on a couple of things, yesterday and today, is indefensible.

White Rat is around. Maybe you could complain via a private email to him. It's worked in the past.