The listener log has had

Eddie Mair | 10:18 UK time, Tuesday, 29 May 2007

a call about the Radio 4 programme "Nature" transmitted yesterday.

The listener said:

"I was mesmerised by the programme. Excellent work."

Isn't that nice? What a lovely lovely thing to say about people's work.

I was wondering - and this is completely unethical - whether you might call the log (according to the BBC website it's 08700 100 222: calls from a BT line cost up to 8p per minute (some operators and mobiles vary) and may be recorded for training) and say about tonight's PM these exact words:

"I was mesmerised by the programme. Excellent work."

You'll have to wait till after 18.00 obviously. By which time I may have been told off. But it will be a giggle. Tomorrow I will report back on how many calls there were.

Comments

1. At 11:09 AM on 29 May 2007, RJD wrote:

You're on!

2. At 11:15 AM on 29 May 2007, admin annie wrote:

Eddie you are quite right, it is completely unethical - plus, we say nice things about the program and its presenters all the time here on the frog. Isn't that enough? Don't you think canvassing for more support is a wee bit - well, greedy not to put too fina a point on it. And yalking of greed I'm off to make some tiffin.

3. At 11:20 AM on 29 May 2007, admin annie wrote:

or even talkng, rather than yalking. New computer - all singing.all dancing, sadly still has a mind of its own. It will learn.

and the first time I tried to post this message was not maliciously fast.

and it wasn't mal/fast the second time either.

dum de dum de dum de dum -

what can I drivel on about while I'm waiting for Mr Mal Fast to decide that I am not trying to flood him with nasty messages.....

...er, anyone see Any Dream Will Do on Saturday?

4. At 11:21 AM on 29 May 2007, Frances O wrote:

"I was mesmerised by yesterday's programme. Excellent work."

5. At 11:21 AM on 29 May 2007, The Reverend Green wrote:

Eddie - It'll depend on the length of the gap - if I'm going to be mesmerised by tonight's PM programme or not. As for yesterday's effort...its already been logged. Thank you.

6. At 11:22 AM on 29 May 2007, Anne P. wrote:

Naughty Step, Eddie.

***Malicious posting and it's my first of the day***

Eddie, don't tell me that along with manipulating the phones you've also nobbled the mods :-)

7. At 11:31 AM on 29 May 2007, Frances O wrote:

Eddie, just got your newsletter. You've nicked a frog joke.

And, no, please, no more Diana. Please.

8. At 11:43 AM on 29 May 2007, Stewart M wrote:

This blog already fills up the BBC server and now you want to jam the phone lines!

totally unethical. Will ring if I get the chance :-)

9. At 11:58 AM on 29 May 2007, Paul Gledhill wrote:

tee hee!

10. At 12:02 PM on 29 May 2007, Aperitif wrote:

I am mesmerised* by the idea of a "Listener Log". Just one single solo? It must be rather large!

*Perhaps I mean "disturbed".

11. At 12:08 PM on 29 May 2007, DI Wyman wrote:

Eddie, no problemo my little broadcasting hero....

.....oh..do they have to BE in that order?

...the public has a right to know...init

12. At 12:50 PM on 29 May 2007, Escort Ford wrote:

Hahaha!

Will try to do that, Eddie - though from Wales. And as I can't blog til next week, I'll be wondering for the next few days just how it all went.

Have a lovely week, folks!

13. At 12:57 PM on 29 May 2007, Annasee wrote:

So what I want to know is, are you getting a share of the 8p per minute?

I will wait & see if I am mesmerised by the programme first. Obviously I can't promise to phone & say so if I'm not mesmerised. No, that would be completely unethical.

14. At 01:03 PM on 29 May 2007, Anne P. wrote:

Thanks, Jonnie - great pictures, great exhibition and the sound's not all that bad!

15. At 01:12 PM on 29 May 2007, Anne P. wrote:

BTW Jonnie, what a nice voice you have.

16. At 01:14 PM on 29 May 2007, RJD wrote:

Escort Ford - Do you have a sister?

17. At 02:03 PM on 29 May 2007, jonnie wrote:

Oh thanks Anne - that's very sweet of you - I'm only just starting to get in to my new role as the 'Froggers reporter ;-)

18. At 02:04 PM on 29 May 2007, silver-fox wrote:

Great exhibition. Thanks Jonnie.

19. At 02:26 PM on 29 May 2007, Fifi wrote:

Eddie - Doesn't this request directly contravene the BBC's announcement that it is completely reforming how it uses premium rate numbers?

* Reaches for phone..... *

Fifi

20. At 02:29 PM on 29 May 2007, andycroak wrote:

Thanks Jonnie for making me famous for 13 minutes :)

21. At 02:36 PM on 29 May 2007, RJD wrote:

Eddie - Re yesterday's joke that you wouldn't give the answer to. Half the answer in today's newsletter then? Ahem! No wonder you didn't want to tell it all. You’ll get yourself into trouble you know!

22. At 02:44 PM on 29 May 2007, Gillian wrote:

Well, as you say Jonnie, ''It's all very exciting''
    Well done - and thanks, Andycroak! It was a real pleasure to see your exhibition.

23. At 02:44 PM on 29 May 2007, DI Wyman wrote:

oohhhhh..listen to her....jonnie the exhibitionist..

.....v good though..

24. At 02:56 PM on 29 May 2007, andycroak wrote:

Thankyou Gillianian :) :)

25. At 03:00 PM on 29 May 2007, b carbery wrote:

regulations smegrulations. Will ring after six pre hollyoaks.

26. At 03:02 PM on 29 May 2007, b carbery wrote:

regulations smregulations. Will ring after six pre hollyoaks.Where can you find Shaun the Sheep?

27. At 03:17 PM on 29 May 2007, Anna Ford wrote:

I am Escort's sister, RJD. I believe we have met.

28. At 03:21 PM on 29 May 2007, Frances O wrote:

andycrwarhol, you've been undersold by two minutes.

29. At 03:28 PM on 29 May 2007, RJD wrote:

Anna Ford (28) - Ah the memories! Did you know that I've retired from the police?

30. At 04:27 PM on 29 May 2007, nikki noodle wrote:

jonnie - what a great interviewer you are!!! Very patient and calm!!

AndyC - a wonderful exhibition, and well attended by the looks of things..

Appy (10) - Do you have your 'Big Shift' in mind??!!! How are your boxes going?!

Talking of sheep, (?!), it all starts with getting One's loyal following to call an 0870 number, and then, when One is chair person, One gets them to stroll calmly into the Czech Republic...

baa!

31. At 04:49 PM on 29 May 2007, andycroak wrote:

O Franc : I'm sure my presence on this frog makes up for he missing minutes, and yes, how do I find Shaun The Sheep?

32. At 05:32 PM on 29 May 2007, Frances O wrote:

He's on the telly these days, got a whole prog of his own.

33. At 06:19 PM on 29 May 2007, sue wrote:

Eddie

You're wicked!

34. At 07:57 PM on 29 May 2007, Belinda wrote:

jonnie - just watched your video with andycragg, excellent stuff! You are a great great interviewer and andy is incredibly talented. It feels weird to see the froggers in their natural habitat, makes this place seem more of a family.

35. At 09:04 PM on 29 May 2007, DI Wyman wrote:

The listener log has had.....lots of calls from a desperate group R4 listeners.....poor young lady was totally bemused when i said i enjoyed the piece about devilled kidneys....still, one hs to do ones duyty doesn't one...pip..pip....hurrah...init.

36. At 09:41 PM on 29 May 2007, jonnie wrote:

Thanks Belinda -

Glad to see your name up there - I was thinking about you earlier in the bath. Have you started the chemo yet?

I'll do a follow up to see Andy's other artwork and have another chat with him very soon. Yes he is talented and very understanding considering I stuck a camera in his face with very little notice!!

37. At 11:00 PM on 29 May 2007, Annasee wrote:

Hi Belinda, Great to see you around again. Hope everything is going as well as it can and you're not feeling too bad.

Jonnie - great film & interview. You do have a lovely voice, they're right. And the picture quality was great. In both senses of the word! SO came home & found me chatting, while the camstream was playing "How many gigabytes of my allowance is this using up? Can't you turn the picture off?" Hahahaha - he's asking me? Whose sole mastery of the workings of the blog is italics? Luckily he found out how to turn it off, so I might remember that next time. Might.

I called the listener log. Was a bit perturbed to be put through to a real person. Not at all what I was expecting! I mean, has the BBC got money to burn, or what? What's wrong with a tape? He sounded so nice I couldn't say the silly thing I was going to. Think he already thought I sounded a bit mad. He was very polite, in a "I'm humouring the mad customer" way. Thank goodness they don't ask for our names!

38. At 11:02 PM on 29 May 2007, RJD wrote:

Jonnie (37) - I'm sorry, but why were you thinking about Belinda in the bath? I think that might be a bit too much information.

Couldn't you just as easily have pictured her having a cup of tea or sitting at her computer?

39. At 12:04 AM on 30 May 2007, james wrote:

jonnie - the roving reporter - do you think we should give hem his own radio show?

40. At 08:46 AM on 30 May 2007, Anne P. wrote:

James(40) I'll vote for that.

41. At 09:28 AM on 30 May 2007, Annasee wrote:

RJD - I wondered that too (about the bath) but I thought , "I won't need to comment on that because someone else will make that association & do it for me." And I was right. (I knew it would be you)

I liked GM's naughty step photo, just for you. Have you seen it?

42. At 09:31 AM on 30 May 2007, DI Wyman wrote:

james (40)

re: jonnie, own radio show, he has one already..

..i think he may be found hosting a daily slot, " Burkas, a contemporary look at the Burka in 21st century Woking" on Radio Norwich....

43. At 10:33 AM on 30 May 2007, jonnie wrote:

Re DI -- Now there's a thought - just been playing on Radio Norfolk's site -

Breakfast with Bumfrey! - some names just don't suit Radio really.

Thanks Annasee, and hope you have a great Weekend (Shhhhhhh)

Yes if you right click on the little camstreams pic you can indeed start and stop the stream. A point to bear in mind if you have a bandwidth cap.

44. At 11:42 AM on 30 May 2007, Val P wrote:

Jonnie - a bandwidth cap sounds lovely, and do I wear it at a jaunty angle? I tried to rightclick yesterday teatime but without success. I mastered the "whispering" though :o)

Must learn one new thing every day, that'll make up for the ten a day I seem to be forgetting at the moment!

Belinda - thinking of you, but NOT in the bath :o)

45. At 12:52 PM on 30 May 2007, RJD wrote:

Annasee (42) - I couldn't resist it (about the bath).
    But I've been caught out myself, by Humph on the “It’s a holiday” thread. You really have to be careful about sentence construction here!

Yes, I’ve seen GM’s Naughty Step photo. I thought it was bit over-the-top putting just my name on it though. But I have been awfully good recently in keeping away from it, don’t you think?

46. At 01:18 PM on 30 May 2007, Aperitif wrote:

Oh dear Nikki Noodle -- I expect I probably do!

Too much work on at the minute to even do anything with boxes -- may have another stab tonight.

Talking of work... toodle pip folks... :-(

47. At 04:35 PM on 30 May 2007, jonnie wrote:

RE; RJD and Annasee.

No no -- I was in the bath - having a bathe - with Mark Lawson, chatting away.

I must have mentally turned off to all the chatter and started thinking about the Froggers.

That's when my mind turned to Belinda. Another Frogger who has been very quiet is Whisht?

48. At 05:08 PM on 30 May 2007, RJD wrote:

Jonnie - You know Mark Lawson well enough to have a BATH with him? Now I am seriously impressed!

49. At 09:50 PM on 30 May 2007, Annasee wrote:

Jonnie - have you not heard the expression, "When you're in a hole, stop digging"? I mean, you don't have to justify your innocent vision of Belinda in the bath, but to then tell us you were in the bath with Mark Lawson .... I mean, really, that was too much information.

I wondered about Whisht too. He's been not so much quiet as absent lately. Likewise Billn' Ben? Possibly they've been trying cold turkey for blog addiction, & just given it up completely? Or gone over to read Chris Evans, perhaps...

50. At 11:46 PM on 30 May 2007, Aperitif wrote:

If you heard Mark Lawson insisting that one waits until the end of the credits in the new Pirates film and are contemplating doing so, I warn you: it's a long wait for nowt much. Distant simpering.

Jonnie, I hope you splashed him big time as a punishment!

This post is closed to new comments.