BBC BLOGS - Phil McNulty
« Previous | Main | Next »

Why Man City are playing it cool over Tevez

Post categories:

Phil McNulty | 12:46 UK time, Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Manchester City's reaction - or more significantly the lack of reaction - to Carlos Tevez's latest demand to leave reflects the state of calm around Eastlands surrounding the player's future.

When the striker submitted a transfer request in December, citing a breakdown with executives at the club, City responded with a strong statement condemning the "unfortunate and unwelcome distraction".

This time around, when Tevez made another plea to quit, insisting the decision was prompted by the painful separation from his family, City were more interested in completing a deal to sign Partizan Belgrade defender Stefan Savic, a second signing in 24 hours after the arrival of Gael Clichy from Arsenal, than making a fuss of the Argentine.

The message was clear: City are looking to the future with new faces and Tevez must wait until more pressing business has been concluded before his situation is addressed.

Despite optimistic noises from manager Roberto Mancini, there was no sense of shock around Eastlands, or among the club's Abu Dhabi ownership, when Tevez, currently with Argentina at the Copa America, again expressed his wish to play elsewhere.

I understand chairman Khaldoon Al-Mubarak was "sanguine and relaxed" about Tevez's request - and was in no mood to make a plea for him to stay, as has been suggested.

The chairman's mood was reflected around and inside the club as City began the process of dealing with a situation that has hardly caught them by surprise, given Tevez's restless history.

This is because City are convinced they are in a position of complete strength and able to dictate any future deal, if indeed there is one, totally on their terms.

City's only comment was brief, as the BBC was told: "Carlos is a contracted player to Manchester City for another three years and we have had no offers for him."

Tevez has not made a renewed formal request to leave, so City do not feel the need to respond in detail to the latest twist in what is a long saga involving their 27-year-old forward, who captained the club to victory over Stoke City in last season's FA Cup final, their first major trophy in 35 years.

City's confidence is built on solid foundations. They are financially strong enough to demand the highest price, almost certainly in excess of £40m, for Tevez and decline to do business should it not arrive.

They are arguably better placed than any club in world football to hold out for the fee they desire. The vast wealth of their owners means there is no urgent need for cash to flow in to Eastlands.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.


Tevez scoring against former club Manchester United

The club is not unsympathetic to the difficulties caused by Tevez's separation from his family and have tried to be as accommodating as possible but this does not mean they will countenance a cut-price deal.

The manner in which they faced down his powerful and trusted advisor Kia Joorabchian in December illustrated that they will not cave in.

It also means the number of clubs who can afford Tevez - and who fit in with his profile of club he wishes to play for - is drastically reduced. Tevez has three years left on a contract reportedly worth in excess of £200,000 a week.

And will potential pursuers, with Milan believed to be a favoured destination, baulk at the idea of paying such lavish prices for a player who has proved he has the touch of the wandering spirit about him?

Only last week, Inter Milan sporting director Marco Branca told BBC Sport: "Tevez is a great player, a great character, but absolutely no. His salary means it is out of the question. The market is crazy at the moment and it is hard to compete."

In Tevez's defence, he was outstanding after deciding to withdraw that first transfer request, proving an instrumental figure as City won the FA Cup and finished third to secure a place in the Champions League.

He handled himself with consummate professionalism, winning back the supporters angered by his wish to leave before the turn of the year, although his relationship with Mancini always bore the look of an uneasy truce.

If Tevez leaves, he will do so having taken the club to their desired destination of the Champions League and with that elusive trophy also won.

Mancini will find that Tevez is tough to replace, especially as Edin Dzeko and Mario Balotelli have failed to fulfil their potential despite City's outlay of more than £50m on the pair.

This is the biggest problem facing City but at least they are able to compete with any club in the world for talent and can now offer Champions League football as an added attraction, as former City midfielder Paul Lake pointed out when interviewed by BBC Sport.

"Everyone knows Carlos has been a major player," said Lake. "He has been our talisman. Although the timing is not great, we are a massive football club now. We will be able to deal with it and we will move on.

"We are in the Champions League, we have won the FA Cup, we are going places and there are so many players out there who would jump at the chance of playing for Manchester City.

"We are now competing and challenging for the same players as Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona. We feel we can attract the players to replace Carlos and still go on to bigger and better things."

The sense on Tuesday was that City, because of their recent successes, are in a better position to handle any trauma surrounding Tevez than they were in December.

If Tevez thought a simple declaration of discontent would provide a fast route out of Eastlands, he may be disappointed.

City are willing to play a long game until the right deal comes along.

Comments

Page 1 of 3

  • Comment number 1.

    Poor old Carlos, he makes you feel really sorry for him with his constant griping about whichever club he's at.

  • Comment number 2.

    City may sell tevez for 40m and get a world class striker, who will obey the manager, to partner dzeko and probably improve the midfield a bit. man city to finsih second and go to the QF of champions legaue

  • Comment number 3.

    Tevez is the best thing Man City own. Like Bellamy they aren't going to panic and let him go somewhere it'll hurt them. I suspect the best option will be a Robinho style loan to a south american team for a season and if he still doesn't want to come back then he'll be a cut price sale to a big european club. Personally I can't see how with £100k + a week he can't enjoy living in the UK with his family, at least until his contract expired.

  • Comment number 4.

    And his high wages have come back to bite him. If he'd been working for less he'd be able to buy his contract out himself. Can he still do that/is he allowed to? Does anyone know? Thanks

  • Comment number 5.

    Hang on a minute! Tevez says he wants to be closer to his family, and Milan has been touted as a possible destination but don't his family live in Argentina?

    That seems a little hypocritical to me. If he wants to leave Manchester (and who wouldn't?) why can't he just tell the truth?

  • Comment number 6.

    @ Krish-The-Dude_CFC, City couldn't get to the quarter finals of the Europa league, even with Tevez. Doubt very much they'll make it that far in the champion's league.
    City to finish second? Chelsea or Arsenal 3rd?

  • Comment number 7.

    If anyone were to pay £40m for him, you have to work out who is actually going to enjoy playing for City. While the open cheque book brought in Drogba and a gelled squad for Chelsea, it appears to have brought a high cost bunch of individuals to City. I'd suggest work out a solid core of players and make them play week in week out together, then have a second string that provide a different attacking/defensive style when brought in where necessary. All these big names and reputations and yet they don't seem to be as one.

  • Comment number 8.

    4# - I think he can buy himself out of his contract (or rather someone else picks up the bill). But as you said his high wages and his transfer value (plus I believe it would have to the contract buy out money would have to be paid in a short space of time), would probably put off perspective buyers and probably beyond his financial means.

  • Comment number 9.

    @Thunderkiss_65

    Haha. Only comment no 6 and already some baiting going on! God, the off-season's boring, isn't it?

  • Comment number 10.

    @ kanchelskis_legend I can't get on anything but BBC today, need my fix somehow

  • Comment number 11.

    Honestly he is doing all this, not because of the money, but because he wants his wife back, he cheated on her so many times...with younger women... he's a world class player, but he is still acting inmature ....but I understand he is risking everything for his family....well..... I hope he stays...I became a City Fan because of Tevez's skills on the pitch! not the freaking tabloits!!

  • Comment number 12.

    @6
    The only reason City didn't reach the QF of europa league or futher is because they didn't really care about it. they were more focused in the premier league to get into the top 4(which they did) and if you look at spanish clubs like villareal, La Liga is already decided by Christmas that either Barca or Real are going to win it, so they put more focus on the europa league despite Porto winning the domestic treble and Europa.

  • Comment number 13.

    Tevez wants to leave City and the beeb tells us the club is calm - with no concrete evidence to back up this claim, just news bites here and there...

    Nasri hasn't publicly declared he wants to leave Arsenal - just a lot of rumour and conjectures, yet the beeb tells the world Arsenal is about to implode.

    I have lost all respect for football journos, they have no 'ethics' and I mean this in the worst possible way your imagination can think up.

  • Comment number 14.

    Having come out publicly again, Tevez will only drive down his transfer fee and, crucially for him, his wages. Not that anyone could afford it anyway who didn't already have Messi.

    As a City fan, I really admire him as a footballer. So tenacious and strong, determined and skillfull. I wish him all the best for the future. Having said all that, it's time we got rid of him now. He's a negative force within the team. We don't want players who don't want to be there, it just casts a shadow over the club. One which, frankly, the Club, supporters and management are all fed up with.

    Only problem is... who can afford him?

  • Comment number 15.

    On a personal level, Tevez is a bit of a primitive individual. Joorabchian is just a chancer who seems to charm his way to get the media to do his bidding for him as well.

    What would help here though Phil is if someone actually lifted the lid on why his family does not move to this country? Seems the normal thing to do doesn't it?

    As for Man City not making noises, well, who too exactly, you and your kind? Why should they dance to your tune? They may inform their fans but that is their business. Also, there is almost two months before the transfer window closes so why act on day two?

    This will run and it'll attract column inches, but, Man City have the funds to play hard ball and replace him.

    Tevez comes out of this looking even more flighty than before and that's about it at the moment.

  • Comment number 16.

    The main problem I have with Tevez is how he moans about being away from his family and yet he appears willing to play for another european club?! It's a shame because he is undoubtably one of the top strikers in the world, and you rate him because he puts in a load of effort on the pitch, but off it he is very unprofessional.

  • Comment number 17.

    Joorabchian is just a chancer who seems to charm his way to get the media to do his bidding for him as well.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    And yet he's deeply involved in Man City's transfer activities. And was the bloke who got Gary Cook his job at City in the first place. Didn't hear many complaints when Joorbachian was manipulating the media in Man City's favour.

  • Comment number 18.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 19.

    He's been fantastic for us. Whatever the reasons for him wanting to leave, let him go, but for the right price. As far as I'm concerned 40M is cheap when you look at his record for us! I think City's attitude is spot on. There's a danger of him thinking he's the be all and end all at City and it's simply not true, potentially to the detriment of the rest of the dressing room. Sure he's higher profile, but Silva's had a good season and will get better, YaYa's been immense, and I'm certain Balotelli (if he can put his injury to bed) and Dzeko will becoming prolific & De Jong is IMHO quite simply the best defensive midfielder in the country, Mr Reliable.
    I'd love to see us offload 'Hollywood' Barry and bring in someone like Nasri/Modric.

  • Comment number 20.

    " If he wants to leave Manchester (and who wouldn't?) "

    wonderfull!

  • Comment number 21.

    £200,000 a WEEK and he isn't happy. Absolute joke!! Who else will take Tevez who seem to have a maximum stay of 2 years until he gets bored. Good luck with that City!!!

  • Comment number 22.

    @12 The game they went out on their team was Hart, Kolarov, Lescott, Kompany, Richards, Barry, Toure Yaya, De Jong, Balotelli, Tevez, Silva. They cared they just weren't good enough.

    @15 I was amazed that Mark Hughes' agent was also Kia Joorabchian, was Hughes paying no attention for the last few years?

  • Comment number 23.

    I have sympathy for Tevez. As a father myself i would hate to not have the daily contact with my kids that Tevez claims is at the heart of his decision. Even if he goes to Madrid, Milan etc - this may solve the problem as maybe his wife/kids mother will be happier there and consider living there rather than in Manchester - which lets face it - probably is a bit rubbish, especially if you are a spanish speaking person, who wants their children brought up in an hispanic/mediterranean environment.

    He has been excellent for City - and when someone is excellent it always causes an issue when they want to leave - however he has played well, and City should be able to cash in on him.

    £200k per week doesn't mean very much when you are already a multi-millionaire and can earn lots of money anyway - but family SHOULD ALWAYS be more important... i am not a millionaire but would not give up on seeing my family for £200k per week - so why should he?

    Good on you Carlos - thanks for what you have brought to the Premiership!

  • Comment number 24.

    #17 magicDarkShadow

    kanchelskis_legend was more 'on message' with me in his post at #18. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the 'blue' in my name in any way links me to Man City.

    You might be right about Joorabchian. He might also be duplicitous, I neither know nor care.

    The point is, for an agent he seems to be given an inordinate amount of airtime to peddle his client's wares!

    #20 HAHA CharadeYouAre

    Do you think there will also be a massive blue poster in Manchester on the day he goes which says 'Goodbye from Manchester'?

  • Comment number 25.

    I like England and I like Argentina, but which one is best?

    There's only one way to find out...

    FIGHT!

  • Comment number 26.

    @ James T Haddock

    Ssshhh! You'll overexcite Maggie Thatcher if you carry on like that! She's getting on and I doubt her ticker could take the excitement.

  • Comment number 27.

    13.At 15:58 5th Jul 2011, Emmnues wrote:

    -----------------

    agreed.

    if it is corect that city can afford 250k per annum for a bench warmer then something is seriously wrong and it also seems mighty obvious to me these " fair play " rules are about as much use as the current Limp-Democrats and Con-Merchant Goverment.

    sort it out PHIL!!

    PS: i can confirm the apparent " crisis " at Arsenal is over CF and SN are staying and we are spending 200million before the end of the month on a few overhyped english players in order to appease the press and general public

    Arsene Wenger is to lead England to World Cup Glory as next Coach

    and manchester united will finish below Wolves next season

    and chelseas new anthem " will he still be here by christmas " will reach number 1 on all phones alas many of the chavs will miss out as not many have a clue what a smart phone really is.

    I will win the lottery and become a major shareholder at Arsenal

    to be cont:

  • Comment number 28.

    Man city calm inspite of tevez transfer request..Arsenal about to implode after clichy leaves... Guess we know which team mcnulty supports and which team he hates

  • Comment number 29.

    Strange strange guy.

  • Comment number 30.

    Rather he didn't go because he's truly world class; however if he wants to he's clearly going to be a disruptive influence so might as well just let him go and get someone else in...anyway balotelli and Dzeko will be better this year I'm sure so one more would do...Everyone hates super mario but mark my words....world class player in the making! Agree with whoever said about going to Milan when his family live in Argentina... if he goes for family reasons it should be to Argentina only....if not then cut the rubbish and just say you want to leave Manchester for a warmer climate...the ban on snood's has clearly hit him harder than most haha

  • Comment number 31.

    If I was a City fan I'd be more concerned with the signings the club is making. Why has Mancini targeted defensive reinforcements? Personally, I think Clichy is probably a good signing, given that he is cheap and will provide competition. He may also recapture the form of his earlier Arsenal career. However, this Savic character - I don't get it. As far as I understand, Toure is cleared to play from the start of the season. Vincent Kompany was one of the outstanding performers in the Premier League, and Lescott began to look his old self toward the end of the season. Nedum Onouha is a home-grown talent, as is Micah Richards, and they both (particularly the former) impressed in the Premier League last season. Add the young Belgian, Dedryck Boyata to the mix, and you have to ask, why are City buying more defenders?
    Spurs were rightly commended for their attacking approach to their Champions League debut, and this paid dividends by helping them reach the quarter-finals. Mancini clearly employs different tactics, but does he need new personnel in defence? City conceded the joint-fewest goals in last seasons Premier League (33, only Chelsea matched that figure), yet they scored 18 less goals than League winners Manchester United. Carlos Tevez scored the same number of League goals as Dimitar Berbatov, but what about his supporting cast? It is patently obvious that Mancini must focus on signing more attack-minded players to replace the likes of Gareth Barry in order to achieve the Clubs heightened ambitions both domestically and in Europe. Furthermore, Mancini must adjust his tactics to reflect the fact City are now expected to win most of their games. Too often his negative approach has starved fans of potential glory (see COMS, v Man Utd). A direct player comparison shows the stark contrast - Nani provided 18 assists and 9 goals in the League, Rooney 11 and 11, Giggs 8 and 2. Man city had David Silva with 9 assists and 4 goals, Yaya Toure with 7 assists and 6 goals and Mario Balotelli with 1 assist and 6 goals. It is time Mancini let the handbrake off and allowed players such as Silva, Yaya, Milner, Johnson and Balotelli to shoulder some of the responsibility that for too long has lain heavily on the shoulders of Carlos Tevez.

  • Comment number 32.

    I don't think anyone'll say that Tevez isn't Man City's best player. The man's won games for the Eastlanders almost by himself. But it's not the end of the world, fortunately. Man City has plenty of decent midfielders and have strengthened their defense by buying Arsenal's Clichy, bit of a shame but he wasn't the player he used to be for us, and Savic.

    That and they have the financial muscle and the seductive attraction of Champions league football to attract a majority of players. That said, I still think that Tevez needs to get a replacement. Balotelli may or may not live up to his potential and Dzeko looks like a Crouch case, reliable sometimes and useless the next time. They'll also need to take care of the issue of the new captain, but that won't be too hard.

  • Comment number 33.

    Man City are an all round joke of a club.

    Tevez will leave, but he needs to stop acting the complete fool. 5 years he's spent in England, why couldn't he have just brought his family over? They'd have lived a life that 99.5% of the world could only dream of living, but what was stopping them, the lack of blazing sunshine all year round?

    Tevez and his family sound like a mess, and although he's an amazing player, City would do well to cut loose. They can bring in who they want to replace him, will probably walk the league next season either way.

    Still, joke of a club that will be found out to be the house of cards it is in 5 years time when they are no longer allowed to spend what the hell they like on transfers and wages.

  • Comment number 34.

    @HAHA charadeYouare,nice comment..how the bbc still keeps paying this guy i do not know..They should look to replace him with one of the sky reporters as a sign of intent..

  • Comment number 35.

    @32 Vincent Kompany to be captain all day long

  • Comment number 36.

    Lescott, Kompany, Onuoha, Toure, Kolarlov, Zabaletta, Richards, Boyotta, Clichy...

    Hmmm, think we need another defender....

  • Comment number 37.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 38.

    @36... one of those has left already...and surely competition is a good thing? we have more than 4 midfielders too but would you say no to Cesc etc...? of course not! clean sheet's will win you more games than not!

  • Comment number 39.

    @HAHA CharadeYouAre

    Have you even set foot in Manchester?

  • Comment number 40.

    Real Madrid are about the only team who will match Tevez's wages, I expect they will make a late move for him in the hope of getting him on the cheap. The premier league should chip in £20 million just to get him out the league, he has been nothing but bad news for English football.

  • Comment number 41.

    @40 ..."nothing but bad news" yes of course... top goal scorer, great to watch, gives 110% every time he plays... yes terrible terrible man... let's just give him the death penalty

  • Comment number 42.

    Let's be honest, the only reason he went there was because £250'000 a week was dangled in front of his nose. He's gone there, he's milked the club for millions and now he wants out.

    I doubt he'll be the last of City's players to do it.

  • Comment number 43.

    40.At 16:31 5th Jul 2011, H_Wilson wrote:
    Real Madrid are about the only team who will match Tevez's wages, I expect they will make a late move for him in the hope of getting him on the cheap. The premier league should chip in £20 million just to get him out the league, he has been nothing but bad news for English football.

    ----------------------------------------------------

    It's a good point actually. If Madrid are willing to play Adebayor in the Champions League as their centre forward option then I suspect they wouldn't turn their noses up at signing Tevez. They have the cash too.

  • Comment number 44.

    @42... or maybe it was the lack of first team football at United? I'm sure the Wages didn't upset him tho haha

  • Comment number 45.

    Just a thought, but if Carlos was that hell bent on a move to be with his family, wouldn't he be prepared to take a huge pay cut so as not to price himself out of the market???

    Having been on £200k a week for 2 years, he should have a few quid stashed away.....

  • Comment number 46.

    Well EPL seems to be repelling its Star players away

  • Comment number 47.

    It is going to be hard to sell tevez. For the amazing talent he is, he is also expensive, has an ego, dumb, and likes to move clubs every 2 years. I wonder if Barcelona are interested? He would fit really well in their system and closing down tactic. It would also help tevez- he speaks the language (something he didn't bother with for a good 5-6 years in England!), he can move his family over cos the life style is similar, his ego and attitude should improve when playing for the best team in the world, AND he gets paid! Ch-Ching!

    But knowing him that won't be good enough and 2 years later he will head to boca to retire early, wasting his talent in Argentinian football.

  • Comment number 48.

    39.At 16:29 5th Jul 2011, kanchelskis_legend wrote:

    ----------------

    yes twice and could not wait to leave on both occasions. lucky for me i was in a 44ton artic the road was straight and adeqently sign posted " way out " so i had no problems.

  • Comment number 49.

    How has Balotelli failed to fulfil his potential? He's only 20, he will be one of the most exciting players in the Premiership given another year or two.

  • Comment number 50.

    I think Tevez has been awesome for City over the past 2 years. He's lit up the pitch over and over again and has had a massive influence on our rise to champions league football and FA Cup success. The club is now in a real position to build on that and over the next 5 years cement its place among the top clubs in England and then Europe. Tevez has been a pleasure to watch and if he wants to leave then so be it. Great memories only and no hard feelings to him.

  • Comment number 51.

    Just a thought, but if Carlos was that hell bent on a move to be with his family, wouldn't he be prepared to take a huge pay cut so as not to price himself out of the market???

    Having been on £200k a week for 2 years, he should have a few quid stashed away.....

    ---------------------------------

    It's probably down to his agent, if Tevez moved on the cheap I doubt the agent would be happy about taking a much smaller cut of any negotiations.

  • Comment number 52.

    I've got to say I don't really see how City are in any position of power; if they force him to stay they risk unrest in the dressing room and watch his value plummet as his performances inevitably do. Yet any chance of getting their money's worth out of him has likewise diminished because of his comments, as every potential suitor knows City - if they're smart - will want rid of him before the season starts.

    Not that they need the money, mind you. Far more problematic is how they'll replace the player who seems to carry them half the time. Aguero looks like a smart option, especially if they can back him up with a Nasri/Modric/Hamsik style midfielder.

  • Comment number 53.

    @ 41

    Look at the trouble 3rd party ownership brought West Ham, the constant whining and going missing off to Argentina at Man Utd and his constant press articles in Argentina saying he want a move away from Manchester while at City.

    A player like him who is never happy is bad new, it don't matter how many goals he scored.

  • Comment number 54.

    @52, id love us to go for Aguero as he fits that style of play that Tevez had but looks like he may be off to Juve is press reports are true. Maybe someone like Higuan or try and force Barcelona's hand into selling Villa as they need cash to finance the Fabregas and Sanchez deal.

  • Comment number 55.

    @HAHA CharadeYouAre seems to be taking a fair bit of stick here and he was quoting me! Sadly I have been to Manchester..

    It always surprises me when northern English teams manage to attract top players because they don't just get to play for the club, they have to live here too. Cheshire may well be full of footballers' mansions but it still rains all the time.
    Going back twelve or so years, Middlesbrough were the real surprise, signing the likes of Juninho and Ravanelli. Have you seen the place? Its hideous - even worse than Bolton!

    A bit off topic I know but if a player based in Manchester sees the chance to play in Milan, Barcelona, Madrid, Bury etc, I can see why they'd be tempted.

  • Comment number 56.

    Just a thought, but if Carlos was that hell bent on a move to be with his family, wouldn't he be prepared to take a huge pay cut so as not to price himself out of the market???

    Having been on £200k a week for 2 years, he should have a few quid stashed away.....

    ---------------------------------

    It's probably down to his agent, if Tevez moved on the cheap I doubt the agent would be happy about taking a much smaller cut of any negotiations.

    ---------------------------------

    Which would suggest he's prepared to try and mug off his club who have the pleasure of parting with £10m a year for his services in order to be with his family, but not stand up to his parasitic agent!?!?!?

    City should tell him to do one....

  • Comment number 57.

    Just a thought, but if Carlos was that hell bent on a move to be with his family, wouldn't he be prepared to take a huge pay cut so as not to price himself out of the market???

    Having been on £200k a week for 2 years, he should have a few quid stashed away.....

    ---------------------------------

    It's probably down to his agent, if Tevez moved on the cheap I doubt the agent would be happy about taking a much smaller cut of any negotiations.

    ---------------------------------

    Which would suggest he's prepared to try and mug off his club who have the pleasure of parting with £10m a year for his services in order to be with his family, but not stand up to his parasitic agent!?!?!?

    City should tell him to do one....

    ------------------------------

    Don't forget he's not particularly bright, he probably trusts his agent as having his best interests at heart. . .

  • Comment number 58.

    He doesnt stay anywhere very long. Him and his Agent are cut from the same cloth. Both greedy mercenaries. Wish he would grace the Arsenal for a couple of years though.

  • Comment number 59.

    " A bit off topic I know but if a player based in Manchester sees the chance to play in Milan, Barcelona, Madrid, Bury etc, I can see why they'd be tempted. "

    dont forget that Boddingtons brewed from the finest quality waters from the manchester shi* canal no wonder no one wants to stay long.

    however a nice glass of the ol chablis chilled on a sun kissed beach in the med thats a different ball game.

    and throw in some proper prawns as well!





  • Comment number 60.

    As already said, including by you Phil, Carlos' contribution on the pitch has been massive. Of course, if he wants to leave, that's his right, but City paid a lot of money for him, and then when you add the damage cost and difficulty of finding someone who will make a similar contribution, 40m doesn't sound like very much to me.

    I'm sad to say this all sounds very pre-meditated and orchestrated, with a whiff of Mourinho and the added sprinkling of the cheek of a looked for engineered knocked down price for a disaffected player into the bargain, to which I would reply with a good few dollops of you know what.

    Balotelli and Dzeko haven't been convincing, though Mario's cameos have amounted to more than Edin's, but I'm hoping it was more than me just hoping that there were a few signs from the latter against Stoke in the last league game at home. However, it was Carlos that guided City, not only into a CL place, but an automatic one at that, and I wonder if Roberto would still be the boss if it weren't for him. His contribution has been that colossal. Can anyone else afford him or are they willing to pay the price?

    Though I think the negatives would outweigh the positives if Carlos went, one on-pitch criticism is he sometimes goes for the glory too much when there are team mates better placed to score, but on the whole I'm willing to let that pass.



  • Comment number 61.

    #55 Bury are Fantastic

    Are the average rainfalls between Manchester and Milan that different?

    Milan - http://www.wordtravels.com/Cities/Italy/Milan/Climate
    Manchester - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester

  • Comment number 62.

    32

    Believe me, Man C havent strengthened their defence by buying Gael Clichy. Hes a nice enough lad by the sound of him but hes a liabilty. His errors usually mean goals for the opponent.Great deal for Arsenal, 7 Million for him. Nobody can recall his last impressive game.

  • Comment number 63.

    " Don't forget he's not particularly bright,"


    name one player at manchester united that is?

  • Comment number 64.

    Balotelli's inconsistent form and funny temperament reminds me of Mutu. Wonder if Balotelli will be so wasteful with his talent as well.

  • Comment number 65.

    No surprise after his little cameo tv chat show appearance. To those who call Manchester without knowing the place,no doubt you live in heaven on earth..but Tev lives in the Cheshire countryside,in one of the most exclusive areas in the country.
    It's more to do with the club itself. Having spent 2yrs at Utd,he begged Fergie to sign him on a permanent contract,even though he was 4th choice forward.
    He signed for the berties because they were the only club(owner) willing to pay silly money for a bloke who tends to get itchy feet if things are'nt to his liking.
    And there you have the difference in the Manchester clubs..one you don't want to leave..one you can't leave fast enough!
    For Tev..read Adebayor..Robinho..Bellamy..and no doubt more to come.

  • Comment number 66.

    " 63.At 17:04 5th Jul 2011, You wrote:


    " Don't forget he's not particularly bright,"


    name one player at manchester united that is? "

    apolgies wrong Blog.


  • Comment number 67.

    Just a thought, but if Carlos was that hell bent on a move to be with his family, wouldn't he be prepared to take a huge pay cut so as not to price himself out of the market???

    Having been on £200k a week for 2 years, he should have a few quid stashed away.....

    ---------------------------------

    It's probably down to his agent, if Tevez moved on the cheap I doubt the agent would be happy about taking a much smaller cut of any negotiations.

    ---------------------------------

    Which would suggest he's prepared to try and mug off his club who have the pleasure of parting with £10m a year for his services in order to be with his family, but not stand up to his parasitic agent!?!?!?

    City should tell him to do one....

    ------------------------------

    Don't forget he's not particularly bright, he probably trusts his agent as having his best interests at heart. . .

    ------------------------------

    Surely even the most basic of humans could understand that £100k / week plus family is better than £200k / week plus no family.....?!!

  • Comment number 68.

    61.
    At 17:02 5th Jul 2011, MrBlueBurns wrote:

    #55 Bury are Fantastic

    Are the average rainfalls between Manchester and Milan that different?

    ------------------------------
    I've no idea mate, but I know where I'd rather live (as long as I was close to my daughters of course).

  • Comment number 69.

    #68 Bury are Fantastic

    These daughters of yours.......

  • Comment number 70.

    Well pointed out Mr. Blue Burns #61. The summers in Northern Italy are hotter, and drier (I think), but the winters aren't very different to ours. An Italian friend of mine calls Milan 'brutta'. It may have a fashion show and Il Duomo, but it's often considered an industrial City. On the very ordinary approaches to the San Siro one Sunday lunchtime more than 15 years ago my friend and I drove past the not uncommon sight in Italy of women at the side of the road lifting their tops to leave you in no doubt why they were standing there. Some posters have been watching too much Persuaders and James Bond.

  • Comment number 71.

    You say, "Mancini will find that Tevez is tough to replace, especially as Edin Dzeko and Mario Balotelli have failed to fulfil their potential". You're just like every member of every football boardroom in the country, give them time! Balotelli is young and although is a strange character has shown some sparks of magic. If Dzeko pulls his weight and super Mario plays like we know he can the Eastlands faithful will be saying Carlos who?

  • Comment number 72.

    I was amazed why ManU did not excercise the right to buy him for only 25m when they had the chance. Now I see why Fergie decided not to:

    1- He is desruptive to the group. We know he does not tolerate that.

    2- His agent, he must be the reason behind constantly unsettled clients. Did Mark Hughes get another job yet?

    This will be in the minds of all the big clubs when considering to buy him and I think at the end no one will come forward & City will have to sell at a cut-down price or risk disruting the whole group.

  • Comment number 73.

    So, his excessive wages are effectively preventing him from getting what he wants.

    As a Manchester United fan, I'm absolutely delighted that his greed has come back to bite him.

    Hopefully this will act as some sort of lesson and help stop wages and fees spiralling out of control.

  • Comment number 74.

    Tevez has finally met a club that will not fall for his "oh i want to leave and see my family" excuse! I am not a city fan but this is just too much . I will not be surprised if City owners just make him sit in the reserves until someone comes gets him for the 40 million - or if he agrees to play again.

    I completely agree with Bergysdeftflicks and Bury are Fantastic. I lost all respect towards Tevez. Maybe he should join Barcelona since they love to fake pain too! Perfect fit. They can all dive during games and Tevez can sit and cry.

    Tevez and his agent want to get as much money as possible from sign on fees as possible. They are greedy and hope they pay for it!

  • Comment number 75.

    Personally I see real inconsistency between Mcnultys last two blogs, why are Mancini and City in a position of power now while Wenger and Arsenal are in Crisis? In Cities case the player has stated explicitly on two occasions recently that he does not intend to return to Manchester. In Arsenal's neither player has stated he will not return and one at least has just as long on his contract as Tevez. Added to this Fabregas and Nasri's total goal contribution percentage for Arsenal last season combined was still less than Tevez' 48% in the league for City (albeit they are midfielders but I still feel that even the loss of both would be less of a loss than Tevez would be for City).

    At the end of the day City have no more power than any other club who have a wantaway player under a long contract, the fact that most chose to sell anyway owes a lot more to percieved player moods and input rather than wether they have to sell for cash.

  • Comment number 76.

    Not that this is a positive or negative opinion but I saw more Chinese people in Milan than i did in Malaysia lol

  • Comment number 77.

    Phil - Of course Man City's owners can sit back and not worry about the money; there is no-one out there who can offer anything like what Tevez is being priced at, plus his wages. However the problem of Tevez remaining at City, when he clearly wants to leave, is not related to cash, but to the fact that Manchini is going to have another season of continuing 'off the field' drama's surrounding his team selection, because of this guy in particular.
    Every time Manchini plays Tevez, it will be a gamble; everytime he leaves him out...another gamble! And lets not forget City fans have now tasted some success, (largely due to Tevez admittedly!) and are unlikely to want to see the club's team spirit being 'eaten away at' by Tevez's likes and dislikes. Tevez is 'high maintenance' for Manchini and will take up far too much of his time if he stays!

  • Comment number 78.

    just read Partizan Belgrade centre-back Stefan Savic is undergoing a medical at city. another defender, really?? almost an entire team of defenders... what do u think city fans?

  • Comment number 79.

    Let's see. Tevez moved from WHU to MU - on loan. MU did not want to buy him outright despite his plea. He moves to Man. City. He cannot fit in, has family issues and want a move. The first move (at a club) he has asked himself.

    Wandering? Mercenary? Mr. McNulty's words are both inaccurate and insidious.

  • Comment number 80.

    If Tevez wants to leave, no matter how much money they have, city will have to let him leave. Replacing him will be very difficult, because big money transfers don't always prove successful, see Dzeko and I dont see them getting a lot of money for Tevez, maybe 15 - 20 million because he is desperate to leave and nobody will be willing to pay more

  • Comment number 81.

    I am no fan of Manchester City, especially the modern Manchester City, but they would earn massive respect from me if they called this guy's bluff.

    "OK," they say, "we will loan you to any Argentinean club for no fee. PS while you're out on loan in Argentina we're not paying your wages - you get whatever you can negotiate with the Argentinean club".

    Then, if Tevez goes to Argentina for "only" £10k a week we all know he's genuine about the family stuff and wish him well. And if he stamps his feet and holds out for a £40M move to Madrid or Milan we know the family stuff is a smokescreen and that it's really all about the $$$ for him and his agent.

  • Comment number 82.

    If I were a club, I wouldn't buy Tevez. He's done this type of thing before- refusing to play for Corinthians to get a transfer to England, moaning and griping about how Manchester United wouldn't give him a new contract when he'd rejected their offer- and he's doing it again. Quite frankly, I think Tevez has an overinflated ego. When United didn't have the money to buy him, he blamed them for not giving him a decent offer. I doubt he'll ever go back to Argentina like he should, and will move to another team that he thinks is better then City, under the guise of "I miss my family".

    As a United fan, I'm glad we're rid of him, and I pity whoever gets this whining, moaning, egotistical player.

  • Comment number 83.

    Chelsea spent 50m on a broken Torres. So Tevez should worth at least that with his scoring records at City.

  • Comment number 84.

    I for one am perhaps slightly more sympathetic. As a Spurs fan, I am all in favour of a club stepping in the way of a player's wishes, blocking a sale, and holding him to his contract (re. Modric) but this is a bit different... if his motivation is GENUINELY for the family reasons just expressed, and the club are not in any real doubt about this, I feel Man City should be willing to sell at a reasonable price (I would say £40m is fair, it represents a player who is approaching prime and also gives City a healthy profit, not that they need it of course).

    I mean it's all very well saying City are in a position of power because they don't need the money, but consider it from the other angle: they also have the money to ship him out abroad and bring in whoever they like, especially as they now are CL bound. This argument falls apart if his motivation is for footballing reasons, in which case he is obliged to fulfill his hefty contract. But if not, have a heart City! They should get used to the idea that throwing astronomical money at young, dumb footballers doesn't guarantee loyalty. Far from it, it actually promotes mercenary behaviour which is prone to waning loyalties when that player realises that that extra £50k a week actually doesn't buy you much more in the scheme of things (especially with their taste level)

    There is every possibility that he signed with the best intentions but those have now changed because of his family. If that is the case, then talk of his £200k a week wages are surely irrelevant no? Surely a man in that position would happily take a pay-cut so that his family could live happily ever after in Milan or Madrid or wherever they'd be happy. Frankly, I still am a little bit suspicious of Tevez because his reasons for leaving have changed in the past year or so, and can his situation in England really be that unattractive for his family?? But if he is genuinely hurting, I feel Man City shouldn't stand in his way, nor should they shift him on the cheap. There IS a happy medium on this.

  • Comment number 85.

    City should fine him 2 weeks wages for every public outburst and tell him he's going nowhere. Haha harsh probably, but i'm sure as soon as he starts feeling it in the pocket, he'll shut up and start thinking Manchester is better than he first thought!!

  • Comment number 86.

    Phil - I agree with #77 georgiesthebest7

    Keeping Tevez when he wants to go will bring City, in particular Manchini, more trouble than he needs! This season he needs more than ever to consolidate the gains and push on, not to be required to provide high maintenance for managing such as Tevez!
    OK, so Tevez helped City win the first piece of major silverware in (for many people) a lifetime and helped them get into the CL, very good well done Carlos! However City should now say to Tevez, you can't go around mouthing off about what you want to do, we own you 'lockstock and barrel'. Or better still, sell him (or give him away) to Boca Juniors, book him a one way flight to Argentina and stop his pay cheques from the end of the month!
    Taxi for the Airport for Carlos..............!!!

  • Comment number 87.

    Who could feel pity for City here? They knew what they were getting, if a player is so willing to go from bitter rival club to another then he ain't a 10 for loyalty.

    And to say City don't have a need to panic is probably too much on the calm side.
    How much money have City spent on strikers recently?
    How many of those strikers have been decent?
    Answers: 100m+, 1

  • Comment number 88.

    #61 - Manchester has 185 rainy days a year on average vs. 85 for Milan. (both from Wikipedia) That is a significant difference, and why the cities have different weather reputations.

    Despite the rain, Manchester is a terrific city. However that does not change that no matter how much someone earns, it can be hard for someone to settle in a different culture, with a different climate and a foreign language. I am sure Spain and Italy would be more amenable for Tevez's ex-wife, who probably feels she gains little by being close to Tevez, and feels significant upheaval in being further away from family and unsettled in a place that is different to her expectations and culture.

    Soccernomics has a good section about the lack of effort big clubs make in settling the players and families after a major relocation. It seems like a missed opportunity for many clubs including the one I support. In this case Man City are reported to have helped more than most, and we'll never know if they could have done better. However it's a shame that it is still unresolved, because the league is better off with players of Tevez' ability, despite his antics.

  • Comment number 89.

    Carlos Tevez must think the world is completley stupid as he and his agent try and engineer another bigmoney move or improved contract. If he actually realised its the fan base that keep his earning potential so high he'd probably realise we're getting abit sick of him moaning every three months like some spoilt child. He moaned about west ham not being good enough, he moaned at not being played in every game at man utd and then he moans about he can't be close enough to his family. Well she already has two children to look after maybe she moved away from his sulkiness!

  • Comment number 90.

    Players like Tevez is everything that's wrong with footballers nowadays. Contracts mean nothing, Agents are disruptive, fans are fickle. The game is dying.

  • Comment number 91.

    Man City will be toothless without Tevez. Contracts never really wanted to leave Boca. I've met him in Harvey Nicks and he can't speak a lick of English. He clearly isn't interested in much beyond football, his family and Argentina. Just sell him or let him go with a guarantee he moves back home.

  • Comment number 92.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 93.

    Yes he wants to leave but can anybody who wants him afford him?

  • Comment number 94.

    The way I look at it is this - Tevez refuses to play for the club as he wants to be near his family then the club should withold his wages until he's sold. Either that or sack him.

  • Comment number 95.

    'Bury are Fantastic'....I live in Bury...and it's not as good as Manchester...FACT !

  • Comment number 96.

    He will pay less tax outside the UK, so could take a pay cut and be no worse off.

    Let's all say thank you to Gordon.

  • Comment number 97.

    Oh...and if any player wants to leave then I say let them.But if they have a contract, let them buy it out or sell for a realistic transfer amount. If not,Tevez can stay in Argentina without pay.

  • Comment number 98.


    If Man City want to keep their man at the club, it would be much easier if Sheik Mansoor move the whole club to Argentina, then we would be well rid of all the over paid ego's in the premier league

  • Comment number 99.

    it will be interesting to see if Tevez misses his family soooooo much that he decides to play his football in Argentina as his wife and children are there and happy. !!!!

  • Comment number 100.

    James T Haddock

    Don't you think City did quite well last season considering they're just a 'Group of Individuals'. What do you think will happen if they ever gel as a team?

 

Page 1 of 3

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.