BBC BLOGS - Phil McNulty
IN ASSOCIATION WITH
« Previous | Main | Next »

Capello wrong to reinstate Terry

Post categories:

Phil McNulty | 11:35 UK time, Tuesday, 15 March 2011

When the England captain's armband was passed speedily around Copenhagen's Parken Stadium last month without ever coming near John Terry, it was taken as final - and humiliating - confirmation that the man so ruthlessly removed from the role by Fabio Capello would never regain the honour.

As England concluded a 2-1 friendly win over the Danes, Terry waited for the call that never came as Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and finally Gareth Barry all wore the badge of office in the absence of first-choice Rio Ferdinand and deputy Steven Gerrard.

Sixth in line to the throne and maybe even lower, Terry revealed his hurt when he said: "I think they would have given it to one of the stewards ahead of me."

And yet it appears this public embarrassment for Terry melted Capello's heart sufficiently for the Italian to consider reinstating him to the job he lost last February amid allegations of a relationship with the ex-girlfriend of England team-mate Wayne Bridge.

Terry takes on Denmark's Nicklas BendtnerTerry battles with Nicklas Bendtner in the game against Denmark. Photo: Getty

"Seeing that happen made me think about Terry," said Capello. "I thought it was hard for him. He was a player and a good leader, for England and Chelsea, and he is still good. So it is part of my job to make these decisions."

The decisive stand Capello took in sacking Terry in a one-sided 12-minute meeting at Wembley last February drew widespread approval. It was the act of a coach in command.

Now Capello is on the brink of reversing a decision he insisted was irreversible, hinting at weakness and loss of that sure touch, giving ammunition to those who feel he has lost the heart for the England job.

As much as he was right to sack Terry because of the firestorm raging around the Chelsea centre-back and the potential threat to dressing room morale, Capello is wrong to restore him to the captaincy after a bizarre series events that reflects badly on the Italian's current ability to handle the big issues.

With Ferdinand and Gerrard sidelined once more through injury, Terry is a logical choice as stand-in skipper for England's forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales in Cardiff, a game the English cannot afford to lose.

The return of Terry in a permanent capacity, however, is another matter altogether.

Ferdinand is understood to be bitterly upset at how events have played out in the last few days. Speculation about Terry's return as captain was followed by personal reassurances that the Manchester United defender was still very much in the frame.

Then came Capello's U-turn.

Capello will try to soothe Ferdinand's bruised feelings in Manchester on Tuesday. But the England coach is naive to think the 32-year-old centre-half can simply brush off the manner of his removal from the captaincy.

Ferdinand's injury record may count against him but Terry has also missed key qualifiers this season and is increasingly prone to injury. That means there is the embarrassing spectre of Capello turning to Ferdinand again if the Chelsea defender is ever absent.

If Ferdinand was good enough to be named England captain by Capello after Terry's dismissal, then he is good enough to continue now.

It should also be noted that Liverpool's Gerrard was outstanding on and off the pitch when he fulfilled the captain's duties for the convincing qualifying wins against Bulgaria and away to Switzerland in September.

My own view, expressed then, was that it was a time for a change of captain and for Capello to replace Ferdinand with Gerrard.

The notion of Terry returning as captain was not even on the radar as Capello praised Gerrard, before confirming Ferdinand would reclaim the armband against Montenegro.

Before the game against the Montenegrins, Capello said: "I spoke to Steven on Sunday evening to explain why Rio was captain. He understands everything. He knows the rules."

It may not have been a move that was unanimously well received but at least the line of succession looked clear. The rules, it would now appear, are simply there to be broken.

Rio FerdinandFerdinand takes great pride in captaining his country. Photo: Getty


Both Ferdinand and Gerrard will have every right to question Capello's decision to restore the captaincy to a player he dispatched with the minimum of fuss. They would not be human if they did not privately wonder about the logic of Capello's change of heart.

Ferdinand is also one of the most popular member's of England's squad, so expect many of his team-mates to share his hurt if Capello does reappoint Terry.

Terry is a natural leader and still remains a serviceable, if more vulnerable, England defender, so Capello's desire to employ him in an influential role is understandable.

Some may point to Terry's supposed "coup" against Capello in Rustenburg during England's failed World Cup campaign in South Africa. However, I never bought into the idea that the Chelsea player was plotting behind the scenes.

The climate around England's camp last summer was so stifling that Terry's words were almost welcome, although he crossed the line by lobbying for Joe Cole's inclusion.

Still, Terry's days as England's full-time captain should have been done once he drove out of Wembley and away from his meeting - if such a short, sharp address from coach to the soon-to-be former captain could be called a meeting - with Capello last year.

You can follow me at twitter.com/philmcnulty and join me on Facebook.

Comments

Page 1 of 6

  • Comment number 1.

    I think we should sack the lot and see what that does to their egos

  • Comment number 2.

    Another post about the captaincy of England. What is it about this country that deems this issue so important?!

    So what if he gives it to Terry? Will it affect how successful we are as a team. No

    As a captain, JT has all the characteristics to be England captain, so I dont think it is a step backward in the slightest but I dont think its really a big issue either way personally

  • Comment number 3.

    What does the captain actually do apart from swap pennants and maybe lift the world cup (ha!)

  • Comment number 4.

    I never thought Terry was an appropriate captain in the first place with his off the field behaviour.

    He may not have led a 'coup' in South Africa but it was patently clear that he was unhappy and he brought much of the team down with him.

    Could there be a worse choice?

    As for Capello - I look forward to seeing the back of him.

  • Comment number 5.

    Phil I agree backward step to give him the captancy, but I am betting you have not spoken to either Rio, JT or Capello, and in that case its all hearsay and speculation.

  • Comment number 6.

    As a Chelsea fan I have always thought that JT was the best man for the job even in the wake of the VP allegations.

    However this goes to show that FC has lost the plot. How can he possibly have any creditbility in the dressing room after this.

    Get rid now and bring in arry!!

  • Comment number 7.

    PS, Alex Ferguson has come out and said Rio will not be fit for the England game so if hes not going to play, how can he be upset hes not going to be captain?!

  • Comment number 8.

    Ferdinand and Gerrard are out of the next game. Wouldn't Terry be the next best choice for a game as important as the next - a game England cannot afford to lose?

  • Comment number 9.

    Collie21 - Agree. Alot of this is guesswork. Does anyone actually know if Rio is upset?!

  • Comment number 10.

    In the grand scheme of thing does it really matter who is Captain. Maybe if the captain handed out little numbered tickets so the players can take proper turns berating the ref the job would mean something.

  • Comment number 11.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 12.

    As a United fan I think this will be a slap in the face of both Rio and Gerrard if Terry is re-instated. Who is going to be vice captain? And quite frankly, who would want it? I believe this, coupled with Rio's injury record, could see him retiring from international duty and I wouldn't blame him. It'll be a shame if he does because he's England's best CB by a mile when fit.

  • Comment number 13.

    Utter nonsense. I am no Chelsea fan and by extension not a Terry fan either, but his sacking because he got frisky with an ex-team mate's ex-partner was stupid to begin with. The tabloid press should not be dictating who gets to where either the armband or indeed the jersey.

    Both Ferdinand or Gerrard are getting to the point where they are struggling to play 2 games in a week, and therefore their certainty to be available either for qualifiers or indeed tournaments is doubtful. After them, the best leader on the pitch is Terry and to suggest otherwise is foolish.

  • Comment number 14.

    Should these rumours come to fruition, I think I speak for all, or at least the vast majority, of the England fans when I say that I will lose the very thin shred of respect I had for Capello and feel that maybe time has run out on his reign. I'm still baffled by the decision to give him a new contract just BEFORE the world cup. Who's idea was that!!!!!!

  • Comment number 15.

    It strikes me that we would be better off not really having a permanent captain, and rather and un-written order of leaders. Surely if Terry is the natural leader everyone says he is, he doesn't need a piece of fabric on his arm to act like it?

    So that way you don't lose the leasership quality, but the players don't get in a hump because of who's wearing the captain. Denmark was embarassing, but that's what you get when clubs demand that players come off all the time!

  • Comment number 16.

    Capello's biggest mistake was letting Lee Camp, Englands bet goalkeeper, slip through his fingers into the hands of N.Ireland. He is a strong leader that can hold his nerve, unlike the fumbling Green and Hart. And no one has pulled off as many world class saves this season than him, bar Van Der Sar at a push.

    The England squad is full of over-rated players whith tags of fame, as opposed to tags of quality. I'd rather see the likes of Billy Sharp up front than bent for example. Lampard who is well and truly past it, should be replaced by Adel Taarabt or Guy Moosi. both would run rings around him and have skills that make that washed up has-been look like a sunday leauge player.

    There is too much of a negative stigma about the championship, when in fact some of Englands greatest footballers are in there. If you were to compose to England teams, one from the prem and another from the championship, and got them to have a match, I know which one I'd be putting money on, the championship side.

    I know the championship is the inferior league, but when it come to internationals it doesn't work like that. As I said, letting Lee Camp slip was Capello's biggest mistake. But hats of to N.I

  • Comment number 17.

    Don't be so ridiculous Phil, It's a meaningless bauble. Find something interesting to write about.

    The idea that one player or another wearing a bit of cloth around their arm could make any difference is laughable.

  • Comment number 18.

    Making John Terry captain would require him to play?

    Germany, anyone?

    Positioning, anyone?

    What a joke ... Terry makes those last-minute tackles and dives at the ball from anywhere because he is poor in a positional sense.

    Rio is one of the great defenders of the generation. Capello is merely placating Terry by giving him what he wants - a sign of a poor leader.

  • Comment number 19.

    For once I agree with you Phil.

    This would be a huge backward step. But hey, this is Capello. A failed, stubborn dictator of a manager who puts discipline above all else.

    How can he represent the COUNTRY not just the team? Terry is a poor leader, because he is a poor human being. Why should our future young players have to listen to his great words of advice.

    And in recent years he's been found out more and more against top strikers. He's not the country's best defender, not the best leader. Just because he's all blood and guts doesn't make him most suited. He was stripped of the captaincy, you can't just give it back to him a year later.

    Not just this, but he's the past - he only has a few years left. Why not give it to a future player?
    captaincy tamed Rooney in the past, he'll be there for the forseable future, and he will also lead by example on the pitch. It worked for Beckham...

  • Comment number 20.

    @ Forest_Fever - I think you'll find that Julian Speroni has pulled the most world class saves this season. Have you seen our defence??? Whithout Jules we'd be down already!! Just in case Capello's reading, Speroni is available on residency!! Give it a thought ;)

  • Comment number 21.

    'Terry has also missed key qualifiers this season and is increasingly prone to injury'

    ...he's made 33 appearances for Chelsea this season, hardly on par with Ferdinand who's played just 20 for Utd.

    He's an amazing captain and it's ridiculous to think it'd be a 'step back' for Fabio to reinstate his captaincy.

  • Comment number 22.

    Usual waffle from McNulty, not a single fact in the whole oiece. Flim flam.

  • Comment number 23.

    Terry should never have been sacked as captain in the first place.Neither Ferdinand or Gerrard had angelic backgrounds before this incident. I would like to know if all those who decried Terry for his personal life, living their own lives with blameless morality?
    Terry was always been the natural leader in the England set up.

  • Comment number 24.

    Lets be honest, Rio, Gerrard and Terry have been injured or very average this season! I thought FC is picking players who are fit, and playing well for their clubs. If this was the case I doubt they would be in the first team under those rules.

    Rio if fit should play, Terry and Gerrard on the Bench and actually give players without large ego's ago.

    As someone above put, you dont need an armband to be a leader.

    England is a real mess and think we should have a large cull and rid most of the waste of space golden generation and manager and get some new blood in.

  • Comment number 25.

    The decision to dorp Terry from the captaincy wasn't the sign of a coach in command. Jeez, he came back from holiday, got ordered to do it by the F.A. and did it. End of. It was a sign of a weak coach. And after the debacle as the WC, he should not still be England coach.

    However, this decision to reinstate Terry, if it's true, is really the only moral decision to take, both parties denied the 'affair' and The Sun, you journalists, were forced to make an apology when it was all proved untrue.

    Now this lazy piece of bad journalism comes out with the knifes still out for Terry like some blinkered twelve year old bitter fan of some other club. Jeez, worse piece of journalism pretending to be truth but actually crap justifed by pure sleaze I've ever read.

    When 606 goes, I will be removing the BBC from my favs list. Just utter garbage all over.

  • Comment number 26.

    jhon terry lost the captaincy because of the media and only the media who claim to be england fans yet they abuse there powers for there own selfish greed and to satisfy there own sordid fantasies

  • Comment number 27.

    Another anti-chelsea post from Phil.

    The whole incidents around Terry were manufactured to bring him down.

    We have since found out he did nothing wrong.

  • Comment number 28.

    This really feels like a step backwards. I for one actually feel that Terry doesn't even warrant a place in the England side. He had a terrible world cup (his pace being shown up time and again) and we now have ready made replacements in Cahill and Jagielka. Do they have to wait for big money moves to a so called top 4 club before even being considered alongside the now inferior Terry?

    Thoughts Phil?

    Capello needs to grow some...

  • Comment number 29.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 30.

    Personally the time is now to bring in Smalling; Jagielka and Cahill - we no longer need Ferdinand nor Terry. However, if we ARE going to play with John Terry then no matter what has gone on in the past, he gains a certain confidence in his play with the armband and a manager needs to do whatever he can to get the best out of his players. Having said that the only person in my opinion who might have every right to stick out his bottom lip might be Steven Gerrard, who when called upon to captain the side has been excellent.

  • Comment number 31.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 32.

    Well, Well, Well, an article from Phil that I agree with.

    Terry should not be considered as England captain, it is a position of great honour and commands the respect of the footballing world, I am afraid that in my opinion, Mr Terry neither deserves the honour or the respect.

    This shows just how far removed an Italian can be from the English mentality, time to go Mr Capello...

    Maybe we would be better handing the England managers job to a steward, along with the armband...

  • Comment number 33.

    Phil McNulty - You must be the worse Sports writer on the planet, Do you engage your brain before you speak or write, no wonder most people view there Sports via Sky if your the best the BBC has got.

  • Comment number 34.

    why do we support the english media they all claim to be england fans that frankly is a load of tosh if they were england fans they would not be poking around in other peoples private lives

  • Comment number 35.

    See how many games England have won when Terry was captain and the record of Rio and Steve G. If off the pitch matters are taken into considerations (that too not proved) then Rooney may never become a captain and why to pass armband to Ashley Cole in any situation. John Terry is a natural leader and full stop.

  • Comment number 36.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 37.

    I agree Terry is a massive step back - he's not even that good, and playing him as captain does not improve his game, unlike Gerrard.

    I've said for a long time your captain should lead by example and even though I'm not a Liverpool fan, Steven Gerrard in the epitome of that. Every time he plays for England he leads, he picks his game up and works his socks off.

    I feel sorry for Ferdinand as he does deserve the honor, but Steven Gerrard should have been given the armband on a permanent basis a long time ago!

  • Comment number 38.

    Not a big issue for me but in terms of a role-model and someone who had contributed a lot to England over the years i would give it to Lampard.

    And i'm a Liverpool fan.

  • Comment number 39.

    We've been here before, time to move on.

    The journalists made a mistake in covering the "alleged" affair though I don't recall the BBC having many stories about that.

    Capello will be gone in the near future, so what he does is of no matter. England will not do well in the Euro as there has not been enough changes to the playing staff.

    Captaincy should go to Lampard for the time being though he will be out of the team soon.

    _____

  • Comment number 40.

    Surely this is a bad idea and undermines Capello's judgement in the first place? Plus Terry hasn't exactly been spectacular for Chelsea this season.

    This decision baffles me!

    Another reason to be disappointed with Fabio. Time for a change methinks.

    http://www.inofftheghost.com

  • Comment number 41.

    It is not a world cup year so it is safe for Terry to be captain again.

    It will only go completely mad again when the world cup comes back round, and papers start trying to stich up the players and their families. Starting with the captain.

  • Comment number 42.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 43.

    As a Scotsman I couldn't care less about who was England captain. So long as no England captain picks up any World Cup - football, rugby, cricket, tiddy winks etc.
    But as far as whether he is right for the job, that's what it should be about. What seems to get left out of the inappropriateness of the situation is that he was involved with another player's EX. With the emphasis on EX. Once someone becomes and EX then it has no relation to that player ever again. If Terry had been playing away with the cleaner or the tea lady, it should have been the same result (it probably would never have been in the press though). So, the issue is nothing to do with team morale, unless all the other players are holier than thou (we know that's not the case, don't we?). If it was then he shouldn't even be there now, because it will cause problems within the team (sounds good to me as a Scotsman).

    So, he's in the team because he is the best player for the job. So, get on with it and let him be captain again.If other players don't like it, let them withdraw from the team, just like stroppy Bridge, whose EX it was.

  • Comment number 44.

    So have you got a personal hot line to Capello? How do you know what his intentions might be. Regarding JT - don't the words redemption, forgiveness, restoration not feature in your lexicon of life.

    Quite frankly none of them impress me and certainly not Rio.

    There will never be another Bobby Moore or even a Terry Butcher or Bryan Robson but while I think that Capello was right to strip JT of the capatincy at the time and I am not an admirer of JT off the field, I think he is the best of the bunch and Capello has the right to change his mind as circumstances change.

    So get out of the pulpit and the place of judgement on your moral high ground and give the man a second chance. Who doesn't often need one?

  • Comment number 45.

    There are some goal keeping captains. Italy won the WC with a defender as their captain. Terry plays the whole length of the pitch and is a great leader of men.

    Capello could feel he was hasty, rash and unfair in speedily dispatching Terry, inluenced as he may have been by rumours attaching to his private life. He may now wish to make amends towards a man he feels he has wronged.

    And so long as he is the national coach he has the rights to take the decision in the best interest of the team as perceived by him.

    Ad hominem aspersions should not be resorted to dilute his authority as the manager. Let him do what he feels what is best for the team.

    I do not really see the point in the adverse view.

  • Comment number 46.

    Yet again Capello changes his mind on an "irreversible decision". Remember the David Beckham debacle? I'm sorry, but Capello has had enough screw ups and at times he looks as foolish as Steve McClaren did. The "golden generation" will not achieve squat but I believe it's time for a new manager to lead the next generation (Wilshere, Adam Johnson, etc).

  • Comment number 47.

    What difference does it make if Terry, Mickey mouse or Donald duck is captain it's the same team as before. England will qualify and be knocked out by Germany or some other decent team.

  • Comment number 48.

    What a waste of effort writing this.
    John Terry went with Wayne Bridge's "ex-girlfriend".
    To single John Terry out out as a bad egg amongst footballers is quite wrong to start with.
    Who will make a good England Manager? Who dare be the England Manager?

  • Comment number 49.

    Forest_Fever - You are special!!! Taraabt is a Morocco International and Moussi who you spell wrong even though he plays for YOUR team is FRENCH.

    People like you don't deserve an opinion, learn something about football before you open your mouth boy

  • Comment number 50.

    Admittedly, Fabio Capello hasn't handled this very well. But I note that Mr. McNulty has taken this as YET ANOTHER opportunity to push his agenda for Steven Gerrard.

    Heck, Steven Gerrard hasn't been in great form for Liverpool over the past season and a half. So he doesn't even have that to fall back on as a reason for his ridiculous unquestioned first XI player status for the England team. And his underachievement for the national team is, by now, the stuff of legend.

    Yet still Mr. McNulty continues to blindly back an out-of-form, past his best, soon to be 31 year old Steven Gerrard who has never done it for England. I'm extrapolating a bit here but I can just see Mr McNulty's headline after another early exit in the summer of 2012 - "Time to build England team around Gerrard for 2014 World Cup." *Bangs head against wall, repeatedly!*

  • Comment number 51.

    Phil.
    LOL. this so appalling it is pathetically funny. Just the latest farcical behaviour from the F.A. and it's idiot offspring - Capello. It seems they are all hell bent on continuing their "Wally with the brolly" mind set. They are so undeserving of having any say in anything, but don't wait for them to ever have such an insight or act in such a caring and productive way. It is time for us fans and you media fans to call for their collective resignation and to set up an emotionally healthy and wise governing body. Will snow freeze in hell first? I figure it's 10 to 1 their next decision will be to approve themselves and Capello a bonus for this exercise in wise heavy lifting. Comedien's cannot compete with this, it's so totally unfair!!! They (the comediens have my sympathy.
    jim nicholls

  • Comment number 52.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 53.

    Terry, for reasons that have nothing to do with football was replaced by Ferdinand who in the not to distant past was banned for several months for failing to provide samples for drugs testing, which is to do with sport. The biggest mistake was Capello's in not seeing these facts. Terry is the best English leader by far, is always totally committed prefering to do his talking on the pitch rather than through inane and repetitive banter on twitter.

  • Comment number 54.

    I don't know why there has been all this fuss over the past few years about who should be permanent captain. Why do we need one? Just pass the arm band around until someone makes it their own. Nominating the captain along with their lieutenants up front just causes problems exactly like the one we're having.

    A squad made up of players who you wouldn't choose to socialise with given the choice doesn't make this decision any easier. Has there ever been an England squad so fundamentally unlikeable?

  • Comment number 55.

    I think most England fans, would see JT as the best leader on the field (except Liverpool's fans maybe who think SG is better). Journalists need to create more of a story so that they get paid. In fact, they will use this Capello decision (to re-instate JT) to undermine him in the future and try and get him sacked, again for a better story.
    I just think Capello should treat them the same way Ferguson does; make them hangon every word he says, then totally ignore the rubbish they write (and I do admire Feguson for that if nothing else).

  • Comment number 56.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 57.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 58.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 59.

    I can't help but feel the whole debacle around JTs affair and his stripping of the captaincy is irrelevant in this debate. It doesn't matter whether FC made the right decision or not.

    What matters now is the U-turn on the decision. It is by far the weakest decision FC could make... You cannot strip the captaincy off someone and then give it back when you run out of suitable replacements. As great a captain as JT is for Chelsea and was for England, he just shouldn't have it given back now. This a farcical decision and one that I can see coinciding with the international retirement of Rio and the continuation of the steep, slippery decline that is FC's career. RIP.

  • Comment number 60.

    Phil

    You really need to take your journalists hat off to stop your self interest blinkering you to the facts here.

    As someone else has pointed out, it was only because the press kept going on and on about allegations that were later proved to be unfounded that Capello took the decision that he did with Terry last year. THAT was when he showed weakness but you and other journalists just wouldn't let it go and the FA had to act.

    The rest of what you say seems to be a simple case of 'self appointed judges judge, more than they have sold' i.e. who are you to tell Capello what he should do?

  • Comment number 61.

    It doesn't matter that much - because there is nobody at the minute that would make a difference. There are some posts saying that all a captain does is swap pennants. Maybe that's the problem? The players we have at the minute aren't capable of doing anything more.

  • Comment number 62.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 63.

    @Phil

    I honestly agree with a lot of what you have said, Terry should not be reinstated. It is also true that this causes issue within the team.

    I must point out that media reports aritlces and blogs on this really make it all much worse than it has to be. This is a perfect example of the media stoking up fires within the England dressing room.

    Players and managers can deal with these things with the minimum of fuss, IF, if left alone by the media to sort it out rather than blog to the whole country that Rio is riled up or Gerrard is riled up just adds to the problems, problems that are always magnified by the media regarding the England team, and here we are again while qualifying for a major tournament, the media banging on about things that are not football, things that can affect the football and the results.

    Just for once I think, as a test for a tournament, why don't the media blow smoke up their proverbials and praise them over and over and then see how they do at the Euros? Instead of the usual fare of you're sh**e you';e wrong, you're not good enough?

    I think the prem break is leaving subjects for football writers thin on the ground hence the Terry nonsense, why di it all up again anyways, Let fabio, the guy paid to sort it, look after it, he has got em playing well, is that not enough?

  • Comment number 64.

    ----------------1. Hart
    2. Richards 5.Ferdinand 6. Cahill 3.Cole
    --------------4.P. Neville (Rodwell, maybe Parker / Barton)
    --------8.Gerrard (c)------11. Wilshere
    7. Young (Walcott----------------10. Rooney (Johnson)
    ----------------9. Carroll (Rooney)

    Simples! Gerrard as capt. Terry and Lampard good players but at this moment in time, probably on the bench. Team has balance and pace, and would play to the players strengths.

    I support Swindon so have no prem bias. This is an England team that could do great things!

  • Comment number 65.

    One of Capello's many mistakes was sacking Terry in the first place. The Capt should be a manager's flagship player, who will drive a team forward - not who is the oldest or one with most caps. This U turn seems as indecisive as only naming you team 1 hr before kick off.

  • Comment number 66.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 67.

    What are peoples opinions about Wilshere ONE DAY taking the England Captain role? I think he is more than up to it!!

  • Comment number 68.

    absolute nonsense, he is still clearly the leader in the team. end.

  • Comment number 69.

    Strange - Near enough everyone on this article defending Terry is a Chelsea fan. It's not a club issue - it's a country issue.

  • Comment number 70.

    67. At 1:43pm on 15 Mar 2011, ARSENEal wrote:
    What are peoples opinions about Wilshere ONE DAY taking the England Captain role? I think he is more than up to it!!
    _______________________________________________
    I think you wil find he has got to play at least another 4 years before that is even considered, apart from maybe a fiendly, way way way down the pecking order.

  • Comment number 71.

    Although Terry is a natural leader for Chelsea, he is still getting on a bit and losing his pace, wasn't he in the team when Germany waltzed past him to score 4 goals? The captaincy should go to a younger player, one that will lead England in the future, but completely clueless as to who that may be?

  • Comment number 72.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 73.

    Nonsence article. The only errors of judgement were the media frenzy forcing capello's hand a year ago. To judge John Terry on a personal matter, whilst then handing the captaincy to someone who was banned for 9 months for a drug related offence is warped to say the least!

  • Comment number 74.

    #69 Born_Again

    Got the results of your straw-poll to hand have you?

    My review of the comments so far is that more people are criticising the basis of the article and not going against Terry, as they are from Chelsea fans.

    Perhaps because the feeling isn't in line with your thoughts, you don't like it?

  • Comment number 75.

    Rubbish blog, yet again. Isn't the real debate, not about the egos of an over rated bunch of 30something's but about the next generation of England leaders?
    We're all fed up of seeing the same old names up take their places in the England team. I, agree with no.11- that Jagielka, Cahil and Dawson need to play a lot more instead of the ol'guard. You'll only find your future captain by playing the younger generation regularly together and not those, who have time after time let this nation down- on and off the pitch.

    Can we never see a blog about Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, captain's debate again. Yawn. And you get paid to write this nonsense. Shocking.

  • Comment number 76.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 77.

    37. At 1:31pm on 15 Mar 2011, idej wrote:

    I agree Terry is a massive step back - he's not even that good, and playing him as captain does not improve his game, unlike Gerrard.
    -----------------------------------------

    So if Stevie Me is given the little yellowband which goes around his arm, Only then will he decide to play well. What kind of ridiculous nonsense is that.

    Doesnt bother me who out of Rio/Terry has the armband. Both quality defenders. Both are severely missed when they're injured for their club. Both are leaders, Both organise the defence like no one else for their respective clubs.


    8. At 1:18pm on 15 Mar 2011, The United Way wrote:

    Making John Terry captain would require him to play?

    Germany, anyone?

    Positioning, anyone?

    What a joke ... Terry makes those last-minute tackles and dives at the ball from anywhere because he is poor in a positional sense.

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Err ok mate. I'd rather believe Carragher and David Villa who have said Terry is a good defender rather than some United fan with an axe to grind.

    Positioning in the England game? Why dont you try pining some of the blame on the team as a whole rather than just one guy.


  • Comment number 78.

    71. At 1:46pm on 15 Mar 2011, Montegooner wrote:
    Although Terry is a natural leader for Chelsea, he is still getting on a bit and losing his pace, wasn't he in the team when Germany waltzed past him to score 4 goals? The captaincy should go to a younger player, one that will lead England in the future, but completely clueless as to who that may be?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A captain will have to be someone that the team respects, as he is meant to lead them, Does the rest of the team respect Terry you must ask, or Rio or Stevie? and not selected on other criteria like age or time served. Players also have to be willing, not all players want to be captain, not all are leaders

  • Comment number 79.

    #72 mrtenners

    Jagielka the future? Ignoring his talents, he is only 18 months younger than Terry!

  • Comment number 80.

    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BBC, if you are going to publish a blog about him, please refer to him using his full title of "Englands Brave John Terry".

  • Comment number 81.

    I agree with bringing some young championship (loan) players through, look at Scott Sinclair and Henri Lansbury and if only Andy King was english we would be laughing. These players shouldnt be overlooked because they are playing at a lower level, this time last year Andy Carrol was playing at that level and now hes worth £35 million!

  • Comment number 82.

    So if Stevie Me is given the little yellowband which goes around his arm, Only then will he decide to play well. What kind of ridiculous nonsense is that.
    ____________________
    Absolute non football nonsense by your standards matey

  • Comment number 83.

    I really don't understand why this is an issue TBH. Terry has gotten on with playing for England without being capt. Why not make him capt for the game if Capello wants to undermine himself, and leave the Capt/Vice as is? All he's going to do is rock the boat with 2 influential players to make 1 happy, who seemingly wasn't complaining anyway.

  • Comment number 84.

    Why is everyone dsicussing the team, this is not about the team, even when they win, I am Irish, even when England start doing well the media hack them down over one thing or another, it is getting seriously tedious

  • Comment number 85.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 86.

    With Ferdinand and Gerrard out, why didn't Capello do what his native Italy do, give the captaincy to the player with the most caps from the selected starting XI......actually come to think of it, we'd better make it the player with the 2nd most. As I don't think England Captain Ashley Cole would go down too well with most people.

  • Comment number 87.

    Forest_Fever - Yeh, I agree we should replace the has-been Rooney with Messi for example, or maybe Ronaldo, oh wait they play for different countries...and 'If you were to compose to (I guess you mean 'two') England teams, one from the prem and another from the championship, and got them to have a match, I know which one I'd be putting money on, the championship side', not a betting man then eh? So you managed to take an article about Terry's captaincy and turned it into 'we should replace the entire national team with championship players (who aren't even English)', LOL. And 'letting Lee Camp slip was Capello's biggest mistake', yes I agree, it wasn't his tactics, selection or formation, it was the fact he overlooked a second rate N.I keeper, there aren't words to describe the depths of stupidity you've sunk to.

  • Comment number 88.

    Laugable how some media outlets are running with the story

    "Terry's the real leader behind the scenes"
    "Terry shouldnt have been dropped as captain in the first place"

    Again when it suits the media, They'l lick up to players, When it doesnt, They'l run with some garbage story which happened off the field.

  • Comment number 89.

    Terry Ferdie Garrard, either one has the experience to be captain, either one has a shout for the job. Only Fabio can decide and he has, the rest is just all mute, completely!

    Terry is captain, support the team, don't ask why, and I will point out this..

    Why is the BBC so damning of footballers and yet it wont report on their ministers and government to such a personal degree?

  • Comment number 90.

    79. At 1:50pm on 15 Mar 2011, MrBlueBurns wrote:
    #72 mrtenners

    Jagielka the future? Ignoring his talents, he is only 18 months younger than Terry!

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Which gives him over a year and a half's extra time for England than Terry.

    Plus unlike Terry I haven't seen or heard him indulging in any scandals and disgracing the reputation of the England national team.

  • Comment number 91.

    Phil
    This is a dreadful article full of speculation, hearsay and bias. It's not like this is a permanent appointment.
    Both Rio & Stevie G are injured, JT has the experience and leadership to take this on until either of above return.
    Who would you rather have?
    Ashley Cole? - Not a leader and more concerned about his own image.
    Gareth Barry? - Poor form this year, shouldn't even be in the side.
    Wayne Rooney? - Do me a favour.
    Frank Lampard? - Never a Captain in a million years.

    JT is the best of a bad bunch and it's only temporary

  • Comment number 92.

    The England job is a poison chalice. It has even reduced Fabio Capello to a bumbling idiot second-guessing himself. I remember when Capello started. I really thought that for once, England would have a strong manager able to stand up to the players and, more importantly, to the media. Apparently not.

  • Comment number 93.

    I said at the time and say the same thing now. Morally Terry was in the wrong for allegedly doing what he did with a team mates EX girlfriend, but the important point is EX. He cheated on his wife as well, which sadly is something that happens all too often in society but John Terry was treated by people (some of whom probably did similar) as some form of vile being. Throughout all of this he kept quiet, and went about his business....

    I do not think he should have been stripped of his captaincy at the time, but given the media scrutiny surrounding the story it was inevitable. At the time to me it was obvious Capello did not want to do it, and wanted to stand by his captain, but the pressure brought on by the press drove his decision in an attempt to not derail England’s attempt to win the world cup, I strongly believe this was a major contributing factor in our not performing in South Africa.

    Then add to this, the fact that the people who have taken the armband since - one served a ban for “missing” a drug test, the next one managed to escape prison for assault even though evidence would suggest his guilt, 2 of the 3 who had the arm band in Denmark have split from wives and/ or partners due to cheating on them and the other is no longer a first choice player – this does not leave us with many options, we need to accept that society coupled with the lives these players are given are at fault for their belief that they can and do get away with what they do!

    Now over a year on and with Ashley Cole running around with air rifles the heat is off Terry so he can step back in and take over. After all he is the only natural leader we have combined with the fact that our most recent success in qualifying for South Africa was with him as skipper. I would say the time is right to give him the armband back and hopefully give us a chance next summer!

  • Comment number 94.

    who cares? we have more things in football to be excited about in the twenty first century other than the england team, like chelsea man city.

  • Comment number 95.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 96.

    Terry's crime was to be accused by the News of the Screws of having an affair that they later rescinded.

    "ON January 31 and afterwards we published some personal information about Vanessa Perroncel in articles concerning an alleged affair with the footballer John Terry.
    Miss Perroncel has since informed us that she would have preferred her personal information to remain private and it was untrue in any case.
    We apologise to Miss Perroncel for any distress caused. (News of the World)"

    So Terry has the captaincy taken away from him for what effectively was a smear campaign and then later sees it being played with on the pitch like pass-the-parcel.

    McNulty and the other journos of the scouse sort will have you believe that rays of sunshine emanate from Gerrard's behind. IMO though - he should actually be focussing on keeping his place. Gerrard only turns up when it suits him claiming injury, yet can play 3 days later for club. Carragher made it clear how it is these liverpool boys feel when it comes to putting on the white shirt -

    And as for Rio - well he just plain never turns up.

    Fact is common sense has prevailed here. Terry is the best captain England have. Add to the fact that he, like Beckham, actually takes pride in playing for England AND he is actually in good form the last 2 seasons... No brainer by Capello. Does not buckle to the whims of jumped up journos...

  • Comment number 97.

    Why are people bringing up Steven Gerrard in this debate? I'm not a massive fan of him in the England team, but the major point is that he's currently injured and is unlikely to be involved in the squad in anyway for the game we're talking about!

  • Comment number 98.

    Plus unlike Terry I haven't seen or heard him indulging in any scandals and disgracing the reputation of the England national team.
    ---------------------------------

    Oh yes. So he fumbled about with someone who wasnt his wife. What a major disgrace that is to this great nation of England. Get a grip of yourself lad. Why not look at if he is still the best defender on the pitch. If he's not fair enough but are the replacements up to the job?

    Well said #95 BringBackFootie

  • Comment number 99.

    @Forest_Fever - you're saying that Capello should pick Adel taarabt ahead of Lampard? Is that the same Adel Taarabt who's got 8 caps for Morocco?

  • Comment number 100.

    97. At 2:01pm on 15 Mar 2011, mtrenners wrote:
    Why are people bringing up Steven Gerrard in this debate? I'm not a massive fan of him in the England team, but the major point is that he's currently injured and is unlikely to be involved in the squad in anyway for the game we're talking about!
    ++++++++++++
    Ditto, and Rio, a players out for ages cannot come back in and just take the Captains armband either.

    I think it would have been ideal for Phil to talk to Fabio before writing this article

 

Page 1 of 6

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.