173rd Takes to the Air-waves
Peter Franklin is a New York taxi driver also known as the Gabby Cabbie and something of a regular guest on Up All Night. Peter's youngest son, Alexi, is to be deployed to Afghanistan for the first time from his base at Vicenza in Italy. Peter ably assisted by Howard Benson recorded some interviews for Up All Night as he went to visit Alexi before his deployment. Peter's interviews are well worth a listen:
- 1 Peter travels to Italy to say goodbye to his son
- 2. Peter hears about the brigade's training for their third mission since 9/11.
- 3. Sergeant Samuel Heer of 173rd Airborne Brigade talks to Peter as the unit prepares to head off to Afghanistan.
- 4. Peter and Lalina travel to Vicenza to find out how the families left behind feel.
- 5. Finding out how the local people in Vicenza feel about 173rd Airborne Brigade being based in Italy.
More photos from Peters trip here We'd love to have more reports like this on Up All Night, so if something in your life might make good radio and you fancy reporting for us, why not drop us a line with your ideas