bbc.co.uk Navigation


Hi folks,

What a golden weekend for Team GB at the Olympics, unfortunately for me though I couldn't add to the 17 medals won by Britain in Beijing over the last few days.

I'm gutted I couldn't at least emulate my Athens bronze four years ago but swimming two world-class 1500m times in 36 hours was too much of an ask.

My qualifying swim of 14 minutes 14 minutes 46.11 seconds was me at the top of my game.

Sadly I didn't have the recovery powers to better that time by four seconds, smashing my personal best in the process, in such a short space of time.

Now if I want to carry on in this event for another four years against physically bigger guys, I've got to find a way to do maxed out 1500m inside two days if I want to compete for medals.

But I must quickly recover from my pool disappointment and focus on my 10k Open Water bid on Thursday.

I must thank British Swimming for black-mailing into this event as it gives me a second chance to join in with Team GB's medal-winning party here in Beijing.

When the 10k swim became part of the Olympics programme, British swimming wanted some of its endurance athletes to give it a try.

The bosses said have a few weeks in South Africa to top up your tan and have a go at this new event.

I was told if you like it keep going, if not just get out.

I got a wicked tan and won my first 10k race, qualifying for the World Championships in Seville.

I then won silver in the Worlds and qualified for the Olympics.

I wasn't sure about taking on another tough challenge in case it affected my 1500m performances.

But I thought I'd give it a go as the 10k was a few days after my pool priorities, now I'm glad I did!

I've not altered my training for the Open Water event as I initially saw it as a little 'Brucey bonus.'

Now if I want to help Team GB and Wales' impressive medal haul in Beijing, then this is my last chance.

I am more suited longer distance swims and the 1500m is now pretty much a sprint, as silly that sounds.

The 10k event is a more endurance based event and I feel I can keep going for longer, although specialist Open Water athletes do double my 80k weekly training regime.

As I'm a rookie to these iron man-style swims, I'm under no pressure and I'm looking forward to see how I do.

As part of my recovery process since the 1500m final, I've had plenty of physio, massages, sleep and grub to ensure my body is fully refuelled for Thursday's step into the unknown for me.

I've left the Olympic Village now as the 10k swim is at the Shunyi rowing lake where Britain enjoyed plenty of success at this Olympics - I hope that's a positive omen.

The course seems to have ideal conditions for converted pool swimmers like me; it's very flat and calm. Effectively, it is a massive outside pool.

Swimming's version of the marathon is not just physically gruelling but tactically tough as because there are no lanes and you're swimming in a pack, I'll have to think on my feet.

If I want clear water, I'll have to move out wide.

I'll have to consider when I take on food and water because being two hours in a pool is a very long time especially when you're putting your body on the line.

Adapting will be the key word, not just to the race itself but to the conditions.

Luckily there'll be no local wildlife to worry about.

Some Open Water events have to start early so not to wake the alligators while others you spend half the time dodging the jellyfish.

You don't have to be mad to compete in the 10k, but if you are it helps.

However, this extra string to my bow has freshened up my career and given me a new lease of life.

Hopefully it'll give me an Olympic medal, too.

Wish me luck.

Swimming star David Davies, 23, from Cardiff, won an Olympic bronze medal in 1500m Freestyle at the 2004 Games in Athens and competes in that event again in Beijing, as well as the inaugural 10km Open Water event. His previous diary entries are on 606. Our FAQs should answer any questions you have.


Comments

or register to comment.

  • 1. At 5:09pm on 18 Aug 2008, mrdalloway wrote:

    Best of luck, David!

    Complain about this comment

  • 2. At 5:22pm on 18 Aug 2008, batdude_uk123 wrote:

    Good luck David!

    I hope that you give your best!!

    I hope to see you on that medal podium! :D :D

    Complain about this comment

  • 3. At 5:46pm on 18 Aug 2008, Commercial Breakdown wrote:

    Good luck!

    Complain about this comment

  • 4. At 6:29pm on 18 Aug 2008, Ryushinku wrote:

    Yup, good luck with the swim!

    Complain about this comment

  • 5. At 7:35pm on 18 Aug 2008, Baron_Daguerre wrote:

    We'll be yelling at the telly David - bring home some metal!

    Complain about this comment

  • 6. At 8:00pm on 18 Aug 2008, stevereeve wrote:

    All the best, David !

    Complain about this comment

  • 7. At 11:52pm on 18 Aug 2008, Shinnbob wrote:

    The best of luck too you!

    Complain about this comment

  • 8. At 00:00am on 19 Aug 2008, piechucker31 wrote:

    Best of luck chap. If I'm awake and near a telly when you go I will be loyally screaming and hollering.

    Complain about this comment

  • 9. At 01:38am on 19 Aug 2008, Tmthyhrl wrote:

    Good luck mate I'll be watching and shouting you on.

    Complain about this comment

  • 10. At 11:53am on 20 Aug 2008, Ryushinku wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 11. At 11:55am on 20 Aug 2008, Hywel wrote:

    Good Luck and most of all have fun!

    Pull peoples feet-it seems to win you gold...

    Complain about this comment

  • 12. At 11:56am on 20 Aug 2008, djw1973 wrote:

    Good luck! Just believe and it will happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    Complain about this comment

  • 13. At 12:02pm on 20 Aug 2008, ChainSmokinAlco wrote:

    May the force be with you....

    Complain about this comment

  • 14. At 3:56pm on 20 Aug 2008, nimagraven wrote:

    Good luck!

    Complain about this comment

  • 15. At 6:06pm on 20 Aug 2008, diafol666 wrote:

    Pob lwc David

    Complain about this comment

  • 16. At 11:47am on 22 Aug 2008, msbradburyx wrote:

    Aww... Such a gentleman. Show the world what Olympic spirit is really like ! You have no respect towards the other athletes who were waiting at the podium to receive the medals, or the medal itself.

    The Chinese officals were too soft on you, they deserve an apology.

    In my opinion, you don't even deserve the medal.

    Shame on you!

    Complain about this comment

  • 17. At 12:44pm on 22 Aug 2008, grant20126 wrote:

    OMG!

    What did you do, David?

    How could you do it to a lady whatever the reason was?

    What a Shame medal!

    Be a man and apologize, please!

    Complain about this comment

  • 18. At 1:33pm on 22 Aug 2008, spetewu wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 19. At 1:39pm on 22 Aug 2008, nonothing wrote:

    geez, poor david.

    were you man-handled by those chinese medics who was trying save you life?

    were you man-handled by the female chinese official who wanted show your way to the podium where other medalists and officials had been waiting for you for long time?

    how brave you told the chinese female official to 'shut up' and eventually threw what you were drinking to her face.

    how pathetic the british media portrayed as if you were a hero.

    make a formal apology, you might be forgiven.

    Complain about this comment

  • 20. At 1:58pm on 22 Aug 2008, audria wrote:

    Insulting a female volunteer is how you represent your country during Olympic games? Shame on you! Shame on this British country, who tag themselves with so called "gentle men"!

    Complain about this comment

  • 21. At 2:11pm on 22 Aug 2008, cxmzsw wrote:

    such digusting manner, i can not believe you actually bring shame to UK after spending so much of tax payerss money to help you training.

    you have no excuse or whatever to attach the chinese volumteer woman, she interrupted you because you were busy talking to media and getting more publicity, not because you were tired at the moment she asked you to go the podium, remember there were many people waiting for the ceremony, you were wasting other people's time.

    you are just a loser!!!

    and shame on these news writers encouraging his rude uncivilized behavior

    Complain about this comment

  • 22. At 2:23pm on 22 Aug 2008, timmyni wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 23. At 2:34pm on 22 Aug 2008, Sonofurgrandad wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 24. At 2:36pm on 22 Aug 2008, ilogger wrote:

    Your behavior stained your silver medal. You deserve nothing but people's contempt in China. Hope your countrymen are still proud of you. What a shame !

    Complain about this comment

  • 25. At 2:51pm on 22 Aug 2008, ChicagoTafia wrote:

    Absolutely fantastic mate! You’ve done everyone proud.

    Cheers

    Dave from the Tafia

    Complain about this comment

  • 26. At 3:05pm on 22 Aug 2008, foy_malina wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 27. At 3:23pm on 22 Aug 2008, furiousasdfgh wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 28. At 3:35pm on 22 Aug 2008, spetewu wrote:

    I cannot see anything wrong with my earlier comment which has been removed by the moderators for 'breaking the House Rules'. Emailed and required restoring, maybe they have been too busy dealing with such a lot of comments which 'BROKE House Rules', re-add my comments as below, anyone else (apart from the moderators) feels this is unapproapriate please shout:

    "What a shame! You've just shown in front of the whole world that you are a true LOSER.

    I have no idea how you could blame a LADY for losing your medal. It should not be all about the medals, it's about the Olympic spirits!

    Indeed, you are not deserve the silver at all. The entire TeamGB will be ashamed of what you've done!"

    Complain about this comment

  • 29. At 3:45pm on 22 Aug 2008, Nessienessness wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 30. At 3:47pm on 22 Aug 2008, elixirer wrote:

    So you think throwing water on the female official's face is appropriate, you "British gentleman"???!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 31. At 3:48pm on 22 Aug 2008, nooopy wrote:

    Come on, be a man. Apologize to that poor lady. What you did is a shame, but if you apologize, you can still be a man. Otherwise you are just a pathetic coward.

    Complain about this comment

  • 32. At 4:05pm on 22 Aug 2008, aerolaval wrote:

    It is very brave of you to do such a barbarian thing. You must be a typical English gentleman. By the way, you should have blamed Beijing's air pollution for your collapse.

    Complain about this comment

  • 33. At 4:23pm on 22 Aug 2008, spiral88 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 34. At 4:53pm on 22 Aug 2008, caodavid wrote:

    Throwing a water bottle to a girl? such a behavior and many of the reports in england have disclosed the nature of british: thugs!

    More than several hundrends of years, you are thugs!

    Complain about this comment

  • 35. At 4:58pm on 22 Aug 2008, foy_malina wrote:

    It first seemed to me like an individual mis-behavior, but there appears to be a bunch of British 'GENTLEMEN' like him. Check what Michael Scott, Britain’s performance director, said after the incident: “He was just shaking a champagne bottle...” champagne??????? oh my ...

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4577785.ece

    Complain about this comment

  • 36. At 5:01pm on 22 Aug 2008, hcgogo wrote:

    Look at what you did to a lady! This is not British Manner. What a shame!

    Apologize please!

    Complain about this comment

  • 37. At 5:06pm on 22 Aug 2008, humanweapon wrote:

    Mr. Davies
    You are a true shame to the Olympics. You blame olympic official for your lose? What are you? 5 year old?
    I was shocked at how uncivilized you are.

    Complain about this comment

  • 38. At 5:16pm on 22 Aug 2008, luckydanzola wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 39. At 5:16pm on 22 Aug 2008, DavidDaviesisaloser wrote:

    U r such a loser

    Complain about this comment

  • 40. At 5:18pm on 22 Aug 2008, luckydanzola wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 41. At 5:22pm on 22 Aug 2008, timmyni wrote:

    I think the adults like Kevin Renshaw and Michael Scott should take more blame. they spoil the kid and tolerent his bad manner.

    this does partly explain why so many kids stab each other in the UK.

    Complain about this comment

  • 42. At 5:22pm on 22 Aug 2008, calvin1984 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 43. At 5:23pm on 22 Aug 2008, spring2008 wrote:

    hi , David, all I want to say is you need time to grow up !

    Complain about this comment

  • 44. At 5:23pm on 22 Aug 2008, missdior01 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 45. At 5:27pm on 22 Aug 2008, rickbeyond wrote:

    So disgusting thing u made !

    It's totally a shame ur behavior

    Complain about this comment

  • 46. At 5:30pm on 22 Aug 2008, missdior01 wrote:

    Oh, btw, do you know that keeping everybody else waiting for you to collect the medal is rude too?

    Just a friendly reminder, next time if you are still so eager to show off your power, pick a MALE athlete, not a hardworking FEMALE volunteer who was just doing her job!

    Complain about this comment

  • 47. At 5:49pm on 22 Aug 2008, msstrongman12 wrote:

    You are such a bad loser!
    Do not treat a lady like that. It's ashame on you.

    Complain about this comment

  • 48. At 5:51pm on 22 Aug 2008, coppersnake2008 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 49. At 5:57pm on 22 Aug 2008, luckydanzola wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 50. At 5:58pm on 22 Aug 2008, timmyni wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 51. At 6:00pm on 22 Aug 2008, zz1111 wrote:

    Hi, Loser. So happy that your gold medal became a silver in the last second.

    Complain about this comment

  • 52. At 6:13pm on 22 Aug 2008, fosean wrote:

    wow, this is the GREAT BRITAIN ppl.

    shame on you , loser!

    I cannot believe what I read from timeonline.

    You should be cancelled the medal as your bad sports spirit!

    Complain about this comment

  • 53. At 6:14pm on 22 Aug 2008, KulaTakara wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 54. At 6:21pm on 22 Aug 2008, BlueSinceAbuCame wrote:

    Hey, david,

    If I were you, I wouldn't have minded being woman-handled.

    Complain about this comment

  • 55. At 6:22pm on 22 Aug 2008, miclxx wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 56. At 6:22pm on 22 Aug 2008, lllibbbo wrote:

    You are so lucky that female offical didn't take legal action on you. or you may be in prison by now

    Complain about this comment

  • 57. At 6:24pm on 22 Aug 2008, dav2fox1 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 58. At 6:29pm on 22 Aug 2008, ORLY2008 wrote:

    such digusting manner, i can not believe you actually bring shame to UK after spending so much of tax payerss money to help you training.

    GZ on attacking the female volunteer

    Complain about this comment

  • 59. At 6:51pm on 22 Aug 2008, furiousasdfgh wrote:

    I really hope the Medcs did not rough you up. Then you can die in peace.

    Complain about this comment

  • 60. At 6:52pm on 22 Aug 2008, ashen_shugar wrote:

    I'm disgusted. Truly disgusted. Not so much at what Davies did, but at the personal attacks that has been posted here.

    I take it you all think Davies doesn't actually know that what he did was wrong, or think he has apologised, or taken into account several mitigating circumstances: treatment for hypoglycaemia (check out the symptoms), an aggressive volunteer, etc.

    Oh, and for those who think Davies should be charged for this, I really don't think so. Given the volunteer (wo)man-handled him first.

    I'm not making excuses for Davies. I'm sure he knows that he was in error, and has actually apologised. You know, personally, face-to-face. Not an apology in the press, which might not even get to the volunteer. I actually blame the training of the volunteers for this happening. It could, and should, have been handled differently, before it even got to this stage.

    Complain about this comment

  • 61. At 6:52pm on 22 Aug 2008, StephenPylypyshyn wrote:

    David Davies, you brought shame upon Brits

    Complain about this comment

  • 62. At 6:57pm on 22 Aug 2008, neohou wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 63. At 7:02pm on 22 Aug 2008, luckydanzola wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 64. At 7:05pm on 22 Aug 2008, whiteandwhite wrote:

    Shame on you.

    Make a formal apology please.

    Complain about this comment

  • 65. At 7:05pm on 22 Aug 2008, ORLY2008 wrote:

    the woman is just want to save ur medal,how could you do that?

    if you dont show on the podium on time ur medal will be cancelled

    GZ on attacking the female volunteer

    Complain about this comment

  • 66. At 7:08pm on 22 Aug 2008, lllibbbo wrote:

    Does anyone have a video of him throwing the bottle on that lady?

    Just curious, how that female volunteer "man-handled" him that made him so angry to throw the bottle on her?

    Complain about this comment

  • 67. At 7:09pm on 22 Aug 2008, miclxx wrote:

    to ashen_shugar, I saw chicanery in your post. Are you blaming the volunteer who did her job while Mr. Davids kept other medalist and people waiting for him? But I am glad that at least you know what he did is not right, not like some of the British media. Please don't assume he knows that and he have made the apology by imagination, unless you are him.

    Complain about this comment

  • 68. At 7:10pm on 22 Aug 2008, neohou wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 69. At 7:18pm on 22 Aug 2008, foy_malina wrote:

    To ashen_shugar,

    One clarification, the female volunteer was not as aggressive as you want to believe. The ceremony has already run later because of Mr David Davies, and all the audience including other medalists were waiting for him. The volunteer was just doing her job to remind Mr Davies.

    I understand Mr Davis was excited in front of media, but firstly it is just impolite to keep other people waiting for himself. And splashing water on someone's, especially a lady's, face is just NOT acceptable.

    Don't know why you are so sure that Mr Davies 'actually apologised ... personally, face-to-face'. I would rather believe but I seriously doubt about it.

    Oh, wait, you are blaming '... the training of the volunteers for this happening' ???????

    Complain about this comment

  • 70. At 7:19pm on 22 Aug 2008, ashen_shugar wrote:

    lillibbbo. I believe she grabbed his arm, trying to pull him away from the press, he said "can you take your hands off" or something to that effect. She did it again. Like I said, what he did *was* wrong, but the splashing with water isn't the whole story.

    miclxx. Strictly speaking, I suppose, yes. But I don't think it was her fault. Was she trained on how to deal with the situation? I think not. Oh, btw, if I'm imagining that he could have apologised, surely you are imagining that he hasn't...?

    Complain about this comment

  • 71. At 7:20pm on 22 Aug 2008, grant20126 wrote:

    Dear neohou:

    I can guarantee you that less than 10% british gentlemen know Opium War, Treaty of Nankin, Old Summer Palace.

    Take it easy.

    Britain will lose its way soon. Sad? isn't it?

    Complain about this comment

  • 72. At 7:21pm on 22 Aug 2008, ashen_shugar wrote:

    foy_malina. No it isn't acceptable. And I think I said that. However, I don't think it's as cut and dried as some others do.

    Complain about this comment

  • 73. At 7:23pm on 22 Aug 2008, humanweapon wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 74. At 7:24pm on 22 Aug 2008, grant20126 wrote:

    ashen_shugar:

    please tell us where are his apologies.

    MAny thanks

    Complain about this comment

  • 75. At 7:29pm on 22 Aug 2008, gurenjvlisu wrote:

    Thank you Mr. Davies, for showing the true face of Britain! My family planed to visit your country during Christmas time, but we have canceled all of our reservations. We really doubt that a place full of "gentlemen" like you will be safe to my wife, my daughters, or any other civilized people.

    Good luck London! Please train the female volunteers martial arts and equip them with helmets for your Olympic games.

    Complain about this comment

  • 76. At 7:32pm on 22 Aug 2008, msstrongman12 wrote:

    There are no excuses to throw a bottle to a lady. Davis ashamed!

    Complain about this comment

  • 77. At 7:39pm on 22 Aug 2008, lllibbbo wrote:

    To ashen_shugar , maybe what the volunteer did was not approprate. but there is a significant difference between
    "not understanding the Gesture " and " understanding it but chosn using violence", which we still haven't heared from him for his apology.

    BTW, I believe the BBC's report is also biased on this one. Maybe they just can't praise but also critisize one person in the same article...

    It is controdictry from some people who were actually on the scene said. I can introduce you the source but I don't think you can read chinese.

    Complain about this comment

  • 78. At 7:39pm on 22 Aug 2008, miclxx wrote:

    To ashen_shugar,

    So, what the lady supposed to do in this situation? Keep talking to the uncooperative Davids? That was what the lady did first (as the British media described: keep barking! what a rude word!). I guess the volunteer really didn't prepare to work with this kind of uncooperative situation (out of 10,000 athletics). No plan was made ahead what a volunteer should do when she met a people who was ignoring thousands of others.

    And I believe, legally speaking, before there is proof that you did something, you are supposed that you haven't, not reversely. Given the current information from Mr. Davids and the media, I am sure he didn't.

    Complain about this comment

  • 79. At 7:42pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 80. At 7:53pm on 22 Aug 2008, msbradburyx wrote:

    To ashen_shugar


    WHATEVER the lady did, I mean WHATEVER she did, she didn't deserve having water poured over her.


    END OF

    Complain about this comment

  • 81. At 7:58pm on 22 Aug 2008, psmithe wrote:

    As a Brit, I'd typically defend a fellow countryman, but not if he actually did what has been reported. Stupid man!

    Lots of criticism here - some of it maybe a little excessive, hehe - and whilst we don't necessarily know the full story, I think it's pretty justified to call him rude and ignorant.

    Perhaps he'll be a little more thoughtful next time he's in the spotlight.

    Regarding whether he has or hasn't made a private apology, it doesn't really matter... he's now in the public eye, and with that should come some responsibility. Regardless of the fact he may have apologised before, a public apology would go a long way with all the people he's offended.

    As for those put off coming to the UK, it's a shame to hear that. There ARE nice, respectful, and responsible people here... people like me. :o)

    Complain about this comment

  • 82. At 7:59pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:

    Your silver medal should be forfeit.

    The rogue without spirit of the Olympic is unworthy of medal.

    You will always be a loser.

    Complain about this comment

  • 83. At 8:02pm on 22 Aug 2008, dfindy22 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 84. At 8:03pm on 22 Aug 2008, ucirat wrote:

    you should forfeit your medal, you know you don't deserve it, picking on a girl shows ur true color, shame on you loser

    Complain about this comment

  • 85. At 8:04pm on 22 Aug 2008, cf22124 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 86. At 8:04pm on 22 Aug 2008, longwood1979 wrote:

    what mostly disgusted me is that this was not just an individual misbehavior of Davis but also the accompanying coaches!

    Times:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4577785.ece

    Once he had recovered, he found himself being dragged away from media interviews by overzealous Chinese marshals. A scuffle broke out, in which Davies’s coach Kevin Renshaw, and Michael Scott, Britain’s performance director, shouted at the marshals to “keep your hands off him – do not touch him.” The female marshal then shouted at Davies, who broke off from being interviewed to say: “Just shut up!” She did no such thing but before she knew it, Davies had splashed water in her face from the drinks bottle he was carrying. Scott joked: “He was just shaking a champagne bottle, nothing more than that.”

    Complain about this comment

  • 87. At 8:06pm on 22 Aug 2008, hheman wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 88. At 8:08pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 89. At 8:09pm on 22 Aug 2008, rongby wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 90. At 8:14pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 91. At 8:14pm on 22 Aug 2008, luckydanzola wrote:

    Well, I'm just wondering... Did that BBC reporter have to interview him on the time slot which had been prearranged for the medal ceremony?

    Attending medal ceremony or, being interviewed; even a five-year-old kid knows which should be done first.

    Shame on David and the BBC.

    Complain about this comment

  • 92. At 8:16pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:


    Shame on you!

    Shame on your coach and Scott!

    Shame on the british media!

    Complain about this comment

  • 93. At 8:17pm on 22 Aug 2008, ORLY2008 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 94. At 8:26pm on 22 Aug 2008, helloleouk wrote:

    you are not a really hero, shame on David, shame on Michael Scott!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 95. At 8:29pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 96. At 8:34pm on 22 Aug 2008, nowaterinmyfacepls wrote:

    ashen_shugar,

    If you feel disgusted simply by the words in the comments here, try put yourself in that lady's position, repeatedly getting yelled at by Davies and his coach and then humiliated in PUBLIC while she was trying to do her job, without even getting paid! Besides, what has upset most people was not only Davies' misbehavior, but also the way this story has been told by calling the volunteer "overzealous and manhandling", and how the British delegacy has responded by joking. I don't know how you can joke about something like that. I also don't know what your British people think, but I believe most people would agree that water coming from someone's drink is NOT the same thing as champane!

    You are right, maybe Davies has realized his mistake and apologized in private, but this is not a personal conflict in a local bar, so she deserves an apology from Davies in PUBLIC for his action.

    Complain about this comment

  • 97. At 8:52pm on 22 Aug 2008, smellslikesalmon wrote:

    Wow. So because most of the commentators above have a problem with one of our athletes (and if he did behave in this manner then it was wrong) they see fit to abuse the whole of Britain and bring up the "Treaty of Nanjing", etc.

    I'll remember that the next time one of the Chinese athletes does something that offends me, or if I have a bad experience on one of my frequent trips to China. I've always told myself not to judge a whole nation on one individual, but it seems most here disagree.

    Disappointing.

    Complain about this comment

  • 98. At 8:59pm on 22 Aug 2008, ORLY2008 wrote:

    to smellslikesalmon

    David Davies is represnting your country to join olympics. thats why we are talking about this. and also most of us here are not chinese. we are discuss about manner so can u please stay away about chinese?

    Complain about this comment

  • 99. At 9:07pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:


    The British delegation and David Davies must apologize to the female volunteer. She did just her duty to help the athlete.

    If the British delegation don´t make an apology. This is not only the shame of David Davies, but also the shame of "great" Britain.

    Complain about this comment

  • 100. At 9:09pm on 22 Aug 2008, smellslikesalmon wrote:

    "we are discuss about manner so can u please stay away about chinese?" - you telling me you're English? No offence, but if I spoke mandarin you would tell me I speak it like an Englishman.

    I'm sure noone is going to change your mind about whatever has happened here, but as I said I'm disappointed about the generalisations and tone of the debate. All it'll take is for a few people to come on here and make similar statements about China and then we'll have a nasty exchange on our hands. Just seems unnecessary when you could stick to criticising the individual in question.

    Complain about this comment

  • 101. At 9:14pm on 22 Aug 2008, YY-German wrote:

    Well Done, David.

    You present British teenages' behaviour to the World very well.

    Complain about this comment

  • 102. At 9:22pm on 22 Aug 2008, akimbosly wrote:

    sketchy Dave,

    Shame on you, cracker!

    Complain about this comment

  • 103. At 9:25pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 104. At 9:36pm on 22 Aug 2008, michaellou wrote:

    The whole incident reeks of rudeness and obnoxious arogance on the part of this british athlete and the british press who is clearly out to cover for him. This is precisely the reasons why China should..

    1) Manhandle these idiots whenever they step out of line in China. So the manhandling of the English journalists was completely and absolutely right a week ago.

    2) Complete censorship of outlets like the BBC. What a bunch of trash who dont even know the basic common etiquette required in public. Such complete morons.

    Dude, you guys give Britain and the British press a "great" name. Keep it up!

    Complain about this comment

  • 105. At 9:38pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyally11 wrote:


    David Davies and Scott are not the individual now. The British delegation is represnting Britain in Olympic 2008.

    Complain about this comment

  • 106. At 9:50pm on 22 Aug 2008, nowaterinmyfacepls wrote:

    smellslikesalmon,

    I don't know if you have read the quote from times online, which is the part that upset me the most. You would agree that Davies was wrong splashing water in the face of a volunteer, but did you sense the tone in that article? English is not my first language so let me know if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that he was considered doing something heroic by standing up against the Chinese marshal, who was obviously "overzealous" while trying to make things go smoothly. And when Michael Scott, the performance director, even joked about the situation, that just shows disrespect. Maybe I don't have the sense of humor as he does, it's just not funny.

    As you said, one shouldn't judge a whole nation based on one individual, but shouldn't those individuals also remember that when they are representing their country in the Olympics, they don't just speak for themselves, but for the country as well?

    Complain about this comment

  • 107. At 9:52pm on 22 Aug 2008, shanyujordan wrote:

    what a shame on you. You might felt you are a GB hero when you were talking to the media, but you are just a pathetic small man at the moment you threw the water. What a "gentleman" you are!

    Complain about this comment

  • 108. At 9:54pm on 22 Aug 2008, Nessienessness wrote:

    nowaterinmyfacepls its not fair to blame Davies for the tone of the Times article.

    Complain about this comment

  • 109. At 9:55pm on 22 Aug 2008, Vaughan_the_Prawn wrote:

    #104 - michaellou - so because David Davies behaved badly and threw water over an official, so "manhandling of the English journalists was completely and absolutely right a week ago"?

    I suppose they guessed something like this would happen and got the retaliation in first.

    It's at times like this when I'm really grateful to the internet for, amongst the rubbish posted on many of these boards, there is the occasional opportunity to see how someone really thinks, behind the polite facade they put on for the world. More enlightening than any regular piece of journalism. Thank you for your comments sir.

    Complain about this comment

  • 110. At 9:57pm on 22 Aug 2008, miclxx wrote:

    To smellslikesalmon,

    I agree with you that one nation should not be judged from the bad behaviors from a single person. But if you read the whole story and related media coverage, you will notice the attitude from Mr. Davids, his coach and not one, but almost every British media. I am sorry to say that, given the current information, I can't hold positive impression with Britain and British people.

    In case you don't want to google it, here is the one of the reports from British media: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/aquatics/davies-makes-a-splash-in-more-ways-than-one-904991.html

    Please take some time to read it. If you can switch your position with that lady, what would you think?

    Complain about this comment

  • 111. At 10:15pm on 22 Aug 2008, nowaterinmyfacepls wrote:

    Nessienessness,

    You are right, it's not fair to blame Davies for the tone of the article. And I did not. I blame Davies for his misbehavior. And based on the fact that he himself still hasn't made a comment about the incident, I just can't convince myself that he regrets for it. Maybe he is still recovering.

    The reason I brought up that article is trying to help explain why so many people, mainly Chinese, feel offended. When a major medium like Times describes (not a columnist tells us his opinion, but a journalist reports the game) the incident like that, I simply feels hostility against Chinese. Maybe I just think too much.

    Complain about this comment

  • 112. At 10:35pm on 22 Aug 2008, Nessienessness wrote:

    Do you really think he did it because she was Chinese? Come on.

    Complain about this comment

  • 113. At 10:49pm on 22 Aug 2008, kkyowxz wrote:

    FUFUFUF

    Complain about this comment

  • 114. At 10:50pm on 22 Aug 2008, kkyowxz wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 115. At 10:50pm on 22 Aug 2008, kkyowxz wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 116. At 10:50pm on 22 Aug 2008, kkyowxz wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 117. At 11:01pm on 22 Aug 2008, nowaterinmyfacepls wrote:

    Nessienessness,

    I don't see how you concluded that from my post, but I never said that he did it because she was Chinese and don't want to think that way. I'd rather believe he is immature and got so carried away by his victory (or loss?) that he forgot basic manners.

    Complain about this comment

  • 118. At 11:05pm on 22 Aug 2008, LazyFeng wrote:

    kkyowxz,maybe u r a chinese as I am,but I tell u:what u've done bring SHAME to China!!!!Watch ur WORDS!!!U represent not just yourself!!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 119. At 11:08pm on 22 Aug 2008, rongby wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 120. At 11:09pm on 22 Aug 2008, killbill999 wrote:

    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 121. At 11:10pm on 22 Aug 2008, killbill999 wrote:

    SAY SORRY!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!
    SAY SORRY!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 122. At 11:13pm on 22 Aug 2008, luckydanzola wrote:

    Hey Scott, guess what, I've just pissed on your face, oh, well... I was just shaking a champagne...as you said, it's no big deal...

    Complain about this comment

  • 123. At 11:15pm on 22 Aug 2008, TennesseeTT wrote:

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

    Complain about this comment

  • 124. At 11:35pm on 22 Aug 2008, Melgorn wrote:

    nowaterinmyfacepls.

    You are correct in saying that the atheletes and officials are representing their countries during the games.

    And that their actions will therefore reflect not only on them but on the country as well.

    I have not seen the incident myself so can not say what happened, but it is wrong to throw water over a women.

    neohou


    Every country has done things to be ashamed of just as every country has done things to be proud of.

    China will top the medal table at these games.

    And with it's resources and population will in this century become the leading economic power in the world.

    Always looking back at past wrongs will only hold you back.

    Complain about this comment

  • 125. At 11:40pm on 22 Aug 2008, rongby wrote:

    Melgorn,
    You are right,
    absolutely agree with you.

    Complain about this comment

  • 126. At 11:41pm on 22 Aug 2008, nobody4 wrote:

    did this GENTLEMAN learn the word "respect" or "good manner"? did he receive any education except swimming?

    shame on, david. you showed the world how a British gentleman behavior to a lady.

    Complain about this comment

  • 127. At 11:54pm on 22 Aug 2008, JasonWu wrote:

    Only knew the incident just now and it absolutely shocked me. I didn't see the scene myself on TV, so not sure what the lady did to you and what was the exact situation. But I don't believe soaking water to another is a way of respect. I coundn't believe this! It is a shame, David. You definitely own the lady an appology.

    Complain about this comment

  • 128. At 00:36am on 23 Aug 2008, caodavid wrote:

    To ashen_shugar.

    He has apologized?
    Should not every athlete abide by the rules of the Games?
    Should he make other metal holders wait?

    Oy your opinion, volunteers for 2012 games should be trained like slaves?


    ====================
    60. At 6:52pm on 22 Aug 2008, ashen_shugar wrote:
    I'm disgusted. Truly disgusted. Not so much at what Davies did, but at the personal attacks that has been posted here.

    I take it you all think Davies doesn't actually know that what he did was wrong, or think he has apologised, or taken into account several mitigating circumstances: treatment for hypoglycaemia (check out the symptoms), an aggressive volunteer, etc.

    Oh, and for those who think Davies should be charged for this, I really don't think so. Given the volunteer (wo)man-handled him first.

    I'm not making excuses for Davies. I'm sure he knows that he was in error, and has actually apologised. You know, personally, face-to-face. Not an apology in the press, which might not even get to the volunteer. I actually blame the training of the volunteers for this happening. It could, and should, have been handled differently, before it even got to this stage.

    Complain about this comment

  • 129. At 01:54am on 23 Aug 2008, lilia77 wrote:

    Insulting a female volunteer is how you represent your country during Olympic games?

    Shame on you!

    Shame on this British country, who tag themselves with so called "gentle men"!

    Complain about this comment

  • 130. At 02:23am on 23 Aug 2008, miclxx wrote:

    Times:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4577785.ece

    Once he had recovered, he found himself being dragged away from media interviews by overzealous Chinese marshals. A scuffle broke out, in which Davies’s coach Kevin Renshaw, and Michael Scott, Britain’s performance director, shouted at the marshals to “keep your hands off him – do not touch him.” The female marshal then shouted at Davies, who broke off from being interviewed to say: “Just shut up!” She did no such thing but before she knew it, Davies had splashed water in her face from the drinks bottle he was carrying. Scott joked: “He was just shaking a champagne bottle, nothing more than that.”

    And the background is that: the medal ceremony has been delayed because of Davids. Everybody else was waiting for him!!!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 131. At 02:50am on 23 Aug 2008, MonkeyD911 wrote:

    Thanks for bringing the medal back home david.
    but, we actually want "respect" more than just A Silver medal from the 1.3 bilolion ppl that you just offended if all above were ture!

    sigh~

    Complain about this comment

  • 132. At 02:56am on 23 Aug 2008, Zhong_Guo_Ren wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 133. At 03:02am on 23 Aug 2008, JimTsinghua wrote:

    Congratulations! You have shot to fame after you insulted that Chinese LOC lady who was just reminding you that the award ceremony was waiting for you. You said something very rude to her and pour water on her because she interrupted your brag brag brag interview you were so indulged in. The Chinese people are very sensitive about a man being rude to a girl. Just imagine why the Chinese netizens love Matthias Steiner soooo much!

    Complain about this comment

  • 134. At 03:04am on 23 Aug 2008, lijianinei wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 135. At 03:24am on 23 Aug 2008, missdior01 wrote:

    Mr. Davies,

    You should apologize in PUBLIC, as you've insulted an innocent IOC volunteer in public!

    The British media just showed their "Pride and Prejudice" again to the whole world.

    If most of the teenagers are David-alikes, this country is going to face a very difficult future!

    Complain about this comment

  • 136. At 03:29am on 23 Aug 2008, Liukin wrote:

    shame on ya, shame on GBR, mate!
    Olymic medal is not everything, always remember ur representing ur counry GBR, not just urself, u cannot do whatever u wanna do, thats a international event,
    ppl from hundreds of countries r watchin the game from all sorts of way , i mean r part of the image of this country, of course rate payers dont want to see any sorta shit happen during the game!

    Just behave urself , grow up mate!

    Complain about this comment

  • 137. At 03:57am on 23 Aug 2008, leopardX wrote:

    ????
    Shame on you!

    Complain about this comment

  • 138. At 04:20am on 23 Aug 2008, pkdavies wrote:

    There is no excuse whatsoever to pour the bottle of water over the head of the Chinese volunteer, let alone she just tried to remind Mr. Davies that he was late for the medal ceremony. I guess Mr. Davies was so eager to show off in front of the press and believed that he was entitled to keep everyone else waiting.

    This behavior is definitely unacceptable and I don't think Mr. Davies is welcome anymore in China.

    Complain about this comment

  • 139. At 05:02am on 23 Aug 2008, neohou wrote:

    melgorn:

    We were willing to forget the past and look forward to the future .
    But, your country's invasion occur to me when we receive the insult.In particular,We are hosting the Olympics.In my cluture,The offensive behavior of guest is Unacceptable.This outrageous act will be considered as an insult to all Chinese people.

    We are eager to friendly communicate with the rest of the world.
    However, Torch relay was blocked in your country.the torch means our goodwills.but Western country just consider it to be political tool.
    All the behavior stirred up the hostility and nationalism in ordinary people of China.

    Complain about this comment

  • 140. At 05:46am on 23 Aug 2008, smellslikesalmon wrote:

    #139 - neohou - are you really equating a cup of water, thrown by someone who had just spent two hours competing in an aggressive race, to "invasions" and things like that? You don't think that's lacking a certain perspective?

    I agree that what he did was wrong, and he should apologise if he hasn't done so already. I'd say there were more contributing factors than you admit, but we'll have to disagree on that. You consider his act an insult to all Chinese people, and then actually do insult all British people in return. Not sure how this helps your argument, but we remember insults too.

    But don't pretend that this has "stirred up hostility and nationalism". That's there all the time (eg: Japanese textbooks, French supermarkets, foreign media, etc), if it hadn't been this it incident it would have been something else. Posters like you seem to take serious offence at something different every week, and we're getting used to it.

    Yes I do know about the Opium Wars, just as I know about the Cultural Revolution and Tiananmen square. All our countries have had bad leaders at times, how far back do we have to go?

    But just as David Davies' actions affect the Chinese opinion of the British (which I sincerely regret), so the over the top comments here affect our opinions of the Chinese.

    Complain about this comment

  • 141. At 06:18am on 23 Aug 2008, ucirat wrote:

    when you are invited to the house of the host, who is generous and did everything to make you feel comfortable, in turn, however, you humiliate the daughter of the host, and refuses to admit what you did, what a shame

    oh btw, smellslikesalmon, there was ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with TIANANMEN Square, the govt did what had to be done to stop mobs from destroying society and ensured decades of fast economic growth, as a chinese citizen, we are very appreciative and grateful for the govt's action on that day

    Complain about this comment

  • 142. At 06:28am on 23 Aug 2008, BeijingLondon wrote:

    I'm Chinese

    What a typical Brit on show.

    The world needs more of this sort act to see what London will be like in 4 yrs time.

    Shame on British media! nationalistic, pathetic and loser mindset.

    You may not want to know this, but the fact is that you are now VERY VERY famous in China. You are not just yourself, but representing the GBR as a country.

    Complain about this comment

  • 143. At 07:08am on 23 Aug 2008, jagpumpkin wrote:

    David Davies,

    U let Chinese people know how "good" manners an English gentleman should have.

    U "perfectly"show the world what Olympic spirit is really like.

    U are so uncultivated. Shame on U!

    U don't deserve the silver medal, U R not qualified to attend Olympic at all.

    Apologize in public!

    London, R U prepared to see such things in 2012? R U prepared to show this "Olympic spirit" to the whole world?

    Complain about this comment

  • 144. At 07:27am on 23 Aug 2008, weina0126 wrote:

    I feel very upset about what you did on the poor lady.

    After getting the silver medal. You defeated a Chinese women, what a vicotory!

    What a shame!

    I can't believe this is the things a gentleman should do.

    I can't believe WHAT the author write in the newspaper!

    You should apologize to the lady.

    Complain about this comment

  • 145. At 08:01am on 23 Aug 2008, qmsw03 wrote:

    Now we Beijing ppl know what you did.
    You should appologize formally.

    British coach should educate their CHILDREN before sending them abroad. Those CHILDREN are so barbarian and uncivilized.

    Poor Great Britain.

    Complain about this comment

  • 146. At 08:02am on 23 Aug 2008, ilogger wrote:

    smellslikesalmon,

    "Yes I do know about the Opium Wars, just as I know about the Cultural Revolution and Tiananmen square. All our countries have had bad leaders at times, how far back do we have to go? "

    I don't know how you put Opium Wars and Cultural Revolution, Tiananmen square together. Even if Cultural Revolution and Tiananmen square were as bad as described by your main stream media, they are still our internal affairs.

    To us, if our government brings better life to the ordinary people, we will forget the past and our government is always one of us.

    But to us, you are always guests. If you show us respect and don't preach us with your so-called democracy as if you people are on a higher moral ground, we will respect you, welcome you and treat you with the best of what we have. But if you show us with disrespect ( here I mean not only this David, but also the tone the british media used to describe the whole incident, the attitued they showed toward this lady), we will remeber the insults and throw whoever insulted us out.

    To this Mr. David, you are not welcome in China any more.

    Complain about this comment

  • 147. At 08:28am on 23 Aug 2008, zickyyy wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 148. At 08:44am on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 149. At 09:03am on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 150. At 09:04am on 23 Aug 2008, grant20126 wrote:

    To all Chinese friends here:

    David Davies is NOT English. He is British and Welshman.

    To all Brits here:

    What David did was totally wrong whatever the reason was! What his coach behaved was totally wrong! What British media reported about this incident was wrong!

    Don't forget 2012 will be London's turn. Brits will contribute Olympic volunteers.

    To Brits here who discuss politic or history issue here:
    Do you know who did the most complete genocide after WWII? It was Britain: Chagossians were forced expulsion in the 1960s by the United Kingdom. None of Chagossians still lives in their home country.

    To BBC here:

    We pay license fee and hope you could tell us why China is becoming the leading country. We don't like you always mislead us and dig the corner to find out why China is an evil country.

    Complain about this comment

  • 151. At 09:15am on 23 Aug 2008, xunchuan wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 152. At 09:18am on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 153. At 09:27am on 23 Aug 2008, rage2008 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 154. At 09:44am on 23 Aug 2008, xunchuan wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 155. At 09:52am on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 156. At 09:55am on 23 Aug 2008, xunchuan wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 157. At 10:14am on 23 Aug 2008, spetewu wrote:

    Hey what's going on here. It supposed to be nothing else apart from comments on this 'uncivilized' behavior. Please do not be too aggressive. Moderators, have you losed control of this site? Then why you removed my comment at the first place?

    PLEASE everyone, stop the pointless arguement. I am Chinese myself, I responsed on this blog very quickly after the new broke out, have also contacted British Olympic Association and British Swimming Governing Body to request his formal apology. So calm down for now everyone, especially those Chinese who left meaningless comments. Do something sensible.

    Complain about this comment

  • 158. At 11:17am on 23 Aug 2008, JanieJB wrote:

    Well done Dave.

    Complain about this comment

  • 159. At 11:20am on 23 Aug 2008, JanieJB wrote:

    Please can the modirator explain to me why every time I post a comment defending Davids behaviour it doesnt get posted? Why are you only posting the negative comments????????????

    Complain about this comment

  • 160. At 11:33am on 23 Aug 2008, quiethob wrote:

    Dear David,

    I am very happy for your victory in the 10km swimming event, and your contribution to the TeamGB achievement. At the same time, I was extremely disappointed by your ungentlemanly behaviour towards the official you insulted and offended. Whatever the reason, she was just trying to do her job. This behaviour of yours is shameful and you should offer your apology for the very least.

    Complain about this comment

  • 161. At 11:37am on 23 Aug 2008, grant20126 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 162. At 11:39am on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 163. At 11:48am on 23 Aug 2008, JanieJB wrote:

    Grant I did just respond to your comment but yet again it wasnt posted.

    Democracy is the last thing thats happening here.


    I would love to debated this with you but unfortunately I'm being gagged. Shame.

    Complain about this comment

  • 164. At 11:58am on 23 Aug 2008, grant20126 wrote:

    Hi, Janie:

    sorry that you couldnt post.

    I just remind you that London will host the 2012. Brits will contribute the Olympic volunteers and officials. Do you think it will be understandable or defensible that althetes from non-English countries may attack Brits offcials who ask them follow the rule?

    Complain about this comment

  • 165. At 11:59am on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 166. At 12:10pm on 23 Aug 2008, calmdownpeople wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 167. At 12:19pm on 23 Aug 2008, Ultrasharp1999 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 168. At 12:22pm on 23 Aug 2008, grant20126 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 169. At 12:35pm on 23 Aug 2008, leafemma wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 170. At 12:38pm on 23 Aug 2008, jasonvivi wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 171. At 12:38pm on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 172. At 12:55pm on 23 Aug 2008, FROMTIANYA wrote:

    Just remember,
    when a person is in abroad, he represents his country.
    What you have done leave a very bad impression on Chinese people.They won't remember your name but a few years ago they still remember that a British athlete teased a Chinese woman in 2008.
    The volunteers and officials have been working very hard to ensure that you athletes can enjoy the 2008 Olympic Games and make best achievement.
    They are people deserve your respect .

    It is also very disappointing to see the attitude of media who took this incident as"a victory" or "funny ". Where the hell are your professional ethics ?

    Complain about this comment

  • 173. At 1:06pm on 23 Aug 2008, greenrepre wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 174. At 1:09pm on 23 Aug 2008, greenrepre wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 175. At 1:10pm on 23 Aug 2008, greenrepre wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 176. At 1:11pm on 23 Aug 2008, xunchuan wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 177. At 1:21pm on 23 Aug 2008, grant20126 wrote:

    I am shocked again. All right! BBC, you can remove everyting you don't like. But the truth is the truth.

    Complain about this comment

  • 178. At 1:25pm on 23 Aug 2008, jasonvivi wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 179. At 1:30pm on 23 Aug 2008, jasonvivi wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 180. At 1:39pm on 23 Aug 2008, greenrepre wrote:

    I don't know if you have read the quote from times online, which is the part that upset me the most. You would agree that Davies was wrong splashing water in the face of a volunteer, but did you sense the tone in that article? English is not my first language so let me know if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that he was considered doing something heroic by standing up against the Chinese marshal, who was obviously "overzealous" while trying to make things go smoothly. And when Michael Scott, the performance director, even joked about the situation, that just shows disrespect. Maybe I don't have the sense of humor as he does, it's just not funny.

    As you said, one shouldn't judge a whole nation based on one individual, but shouldn't those individuals also remember that when they are representing their country in the Olympics, they don't just speak for themselves, but for the country as well?

    up!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 181. At 1:42pm on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    Is this the so-called freedom of speech?

    Complain about this comment

  • 182. At 1:43pm on 23 Aug 2008, greenrepre wrote:

    I'm a chinese,

    I think that he should give a formal apology

    Complain about this comment

  • 183. At 1:44pm on 23 Aug 2008, rapidplplplpl wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 184. At 1:45pm on 23 Aug 2008, greenrepre wrote:

    and our dear-brawny-british-gentleman is being praised by the british media after splashing water to the face of a female volunteer!!!

    aha!!
    each of my dear fellow chinese athletes, in 2012 Olympics, don't forget to equip yourself with a BARREL of water , and after winning medals, use it as a bottle of "champagne" and splash it to the volunteer who leads you to the podium!
    enjoy the pleasant sensation of being "woman-handled"!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 185. At 1:48pm on 23 Aug 2008, greenrepre wrote:

    Is this the so-called freedom of speech?

    Complain about this comment

  • 186. At 1:51pm on 23 Aug 2008, bowie0909 wrote:

    BBC??????
    ?????????????

    ??????????????,?????
    ?????????????????????,?????????

    Complain about this comment

  • 187. At 1:53pm on 23 Aug 2008, greenrepre wrote:

    All right! BBC, you can remove everyting you don't like. But the truth is the truth

    Complain about this comment

  • 188. At 1:54pm on 23 Aug 2008, hughye wrote:

    Just wanna say: shame on u! and of course always, shame on British freaks!

    Complain about this comment

View these comments in RSS

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites