bbc.co.uk Navigation

Fire. Moon. Speed. Sky. Gold. Respect.

Not my words, but those of a Brazilian friend who was in the Bird's Nest Stadium on the night Usain Bolt won the 100m in world record time.

The Jamaican burned down the track on a crisp, clean, dry night in Beijing with the moon, almost in full bloom, appearing in the sky as if itself wanting to witness the special moment.

Bolt's two record shattering performances in achieving the sprint double are two of my main highlights of these Beijing Games, two memories I undoubtedly share with hundreds of millions of others around the globe.

Michael Phelps swimming to an Olympic record of eight gold medals at a single Games is another collective memory I and many others will take from Beijing 2008.

But what else has truly stuck in your mind?

On Saturday's My Games programme we're going to look at some of your favourite Olympic moments, so send us your thoughts, either through this blog or via e-mail to mygames@bbc.co.uk.

In terms of the sport, other highlights for me include;

Yang Wei's gold medal in the all-round men's gymnastics;

Natalie Du Toit's participation in the women's 10 km open water event, in which she finished a disappointing 16th but proved there are more important things than winning even at an Olympic Games;

Afghanistan winning its first ever medal, which came thanks to Rohullah Nikpai in Taekwondo's 58 kilogramme category.

Nikpai comes from the Maidan Wardak region in Afghanistan, an area which has been rife with insurgency, and after winning a bronze, the 21 year old said he hoped his medal could be a message for peace in his country.

Rohullah Nikpai

That is also the message China has been trying to convey to the watching world during these Games. One World, One Dream is the slogan of Beijing 2008, and China has certainly won many new admirers over the course of the Games.

No-one is naïve enough to think the picture of Beijing being represented through their televisions is the real China. But after seven years of controversy in the build-up to the event, things have gone even better than the ultra-organised organisers could have hoped for.

Think back just a couple of weeks and all the worries about how the smog in Beijing might affect the athletes, how the algae at the sailing venue in Qingdao might have ruined the competition there and how doping scandals would wreck the credibility of the sporting competition.

Hardly any of it has materialised. Thank goodness.

And finally, for me personally, having been lucky enough to be right here in the thick of the action, another major highlight for me came one late night as I was walking back to my accommodation at the media village. A Chinese gentleman stopped me in the street and asked me where I was from. He introduced me to his wife, his son, his young baby daughter and his grandmother. We spent about five minutes chatting, he and his wife wanted to know about my life in England, and I asked him about their life in Beijing. I carried a smile with me through the rest of the next day. Thank you sir, even though I don't even know your name.

One day, because of all of this, I will return to Beijing with my own family.

Don't forget to send us your highlights of Beijing 2008. Bye bye.

Adnan Nawaz presents the My Games programme on BBC World. Our FAQs should answer any questions you have.

Comments

• 1. At 09:48am on 22 Aug 2008, jasonvivi wrote:

• 2. At 12:12pm on 22 Aug 2008, jambalaya88 wrote:

My favourite part of the games was definately the Cycling (indoor track); great atmosphere, great sport and plenty of GB medals. My second favourite though had to be when sat in the gymnastics arena: allt he Chinese have done a wonderful job of cheering on their athletes with the standard Zhong Guo (ofetn replacxed with athletes name) Jia You! Once a GB competitor came out my friend and I started chanting Ying Guo Jia You (Go England - not sure what GB was in chinese!) to the delight of about 200+ chinese who heard us. The wonderful part was that once they had stopped laughing they all joined in - great olympic spirit. Louis Smith (who we were cheering) then went on to win GBs first Gymanstics medal for 80 years - Go team GB!

• 3. At 12:14pm on 22 Aug 2008, wombletiltheend wrote:

Coxless Four powering their way to Gold

• 4. At 12:22pm on 22 Aug 2008, happyonthehoof wrote:

Every GB medal and especially the performance by some GB riders but sadly (i) the treatment of some poor animals and (ii)BBC's inability to even report on this properly has soured the games

The BBC's description: "Yahor Lapo of Belarus his a disastrous round in the equestrian event of the modern pentathlon when his horse, Pingping, decides not to play the game" completely ignores that fact this horse had a horrific day.

and "The equestrian part of the modern pentathlon can be a lottery as riders draw lots for horses with some picking the non-jumping kind" is utter rubbish. Anyone who has anything to do with horses could see the RIDERs are the problem here!!!!

Top tip for future pentathickies LEARN TO RIDE

• 5. At 1:16pm on 22 Aug 2008, levdavidovich wrote:

Highlights:

Usain! Usain! Usain! Glorious.
    Also, Christine Ohuruogo's intelligent strong running in the 400m.
    The BMX competition, though disappointment for Shanaze.

Lowlights:

BBC concentraing on boring sports (because of British involvemnet) and thus ignoring table-tennis, baseball and other more exciting sports.
    Rogge's brainless comment about Usain.

• 6. At 1:20pm on 22 Aug 2008, MikeFay wrote:

Jasonvivi - stop spamming these boards. If you're stupid enough to try to physically manhandle someone who has pushed themselves to the brink of exhaustion, you can't complain if they get a bit tetchy. The official should apologise to Mr Davis, not the other way around.

My most memorable moments:
    Men's lightweight double - victory by the ability to push yourself to utter exhaustion.
    The Women's Quad and Romero's gold - how much Olympic gold means to people (see also Pendleton and Cooke, just outside the medals four years ago, their relief and joy of gold was palpable)
    The perfect three - Hoy's astonishing achievement on the track. Comfortable victories over your opponents can make it look easy, but it was all the training he does that made it easy on the day for Hoy.
    The German weightlifter Matthias Steiner 's celebration - absolute need to win.
    The Bolt - no more needs to be said.

But winning isn't everything. So also those who gave it their all, even though injury stopped them - e.g. Michaela Breeze. GB had no other weightlifter to replace her, so she lifted despite a back injury.

• 7. At 1:26pm on 22 Aug 2008, MikeFay wrote:

levdavidovich - the BBC has to cater for everyone and there are different opinions. Mine differ from yours - I find Table tennis is interesting, baseball is dull, dull, dull. There's no way they'd have as many people watching a baseball match as watching a GB crew in a rowing final.

• 8. At 1:29pm on 22 Aug 2008, Crowperson wrote:

Jason has a point. Being tetchy is one thing, throwing your water on someone is another.

My highlight has to be the first Adlington gold, it was so close and we really didn't expect it.

The other highlight has to be switching on the computer in the morning to find out just how many golds we've won while I've been asleep. It'll be odd without it.

• 9. At 1:43pm on 22 Aug 2008, devesh99 wrote:

Being an Indian, this has definatley been a Golden Olympics for all the Indians. The perfomance by Indians at the Beijing shows the Young face of India.
    My favourite part of the games was Abhinav Bindra's Gold in 10m Shooting. The show put up the Indian boxers was inspiring. I hope this performance will inspire more Indians to take up Gymnastics, Swimming and other sports and emulate China's success story of Olympics.
    The performance of Micheal Phelps and Usian Bolt has been thunderous. Jamaica has dominated the 100m and 200m running.
    Hats off to Micheal Phelps , he came , he said he will break all records and yes he conquered.
    China as a country has shown the growth and prosperity achieved by the Asain countries and the potentials that Asains have.
    In a succesfull Beijing 08.

• 10. At 1:43pm on 22 Aug 2008, jasonvivi wrote:

Probably, you should look at how rude you British player is!!

Silver medal winner Davies soaks Chinese official

David Davies doused a Chinese official with a bottle of water just moments after securing silver in the 10km open water swim.

The 23-year-old Welshman was speaking to the press following his impressive performance at the Shunyi Rowing Park as officials tried to steer him towards the medal ceremony.

Davies, however, took offence to the man-handling he was receiving and initially turned to one overly aggressive official and said: "Will you shut up please!"

The officials failed to heed Davies' request and, after more constant harrassment, he threw the contents of his water bottle at the female official before calling an end to his time with the media.

• 11. At 1:55pm on 22 Aug 2008, ladyMerebrewer wrote:

Brenden Foster - Gold Medal for verbal diahorrea

• 12. At 1:59pm on 22 Aug 2008, Sam wrote:

British Cycling was the highlight of the entire games for me. For a start, if they were a Nation, they would still be In the top 10 medal table yet they only had 10 events to do it in! Simply the word domination is all you can describe their performances.

Agreed, Bolt was clearly the headline winning performance, but British Cycling just rewrote the entire book on winning at sport and how to do it on a completely new level. Other Olympic sports in this country must adopt their methods to prepare for 2012 or face looking like some of the squads we sent to Beijing who looked totally out of their depth.

• 13. At 1:59pm on 22 Aug 2008, levdavidovich wrote:

"There's no way they'd have as many people watching a baseball match as watching a GB crew in a rowing final." The BBC is not a commercial broadcaster - it is supposed to not just cater for the majority. It is legally-obliged to cater for all licence fee payers.

• 14. At 2:04pm on 22 Aug 2008, Tramp wrote:

• 15. At 2:05pm on 22 Aug 2008, Will wrote:

Jade Johnson getting out of the sandpit in slow motion.

• 16. At 2:16pm on 22 Aug 2008, ElmerT wrote:

Although my country failed to even land a medal... it is still worth watching the games...

The highlights for me are:
    1. Phelps winning stroke for his 7th gold against Covic (just 0.01 sec... WOW).
    2. Bolts 200m winning moment
    3. Bolts 100m winning moment with style espcially when he opened his arms it's like saying he won even before reaching the finish line. (and not to forget his poses before the game)

Dislikes.... or lowlights if you say...
    1. My country not winning a medal.
    2. David Davies disrespectful acts against a femail official who is just doing her job.
    3. Mr. Rougge's comments on Bolt... come one, grow up.

• 17. At 2:27pm on 22 Aug 2008, lordwhipster wrote:

Hey jambalaya88, 'Ying Guo Jia You' doesn't mean 'go England', but rather 'go UK', since 'Ying Guo' means 'UK' and not England, which would actually be 'Ying Ge Lan' (though in China, most people would not distinguish between England, Wales, Scotland and NI at all).

Usain Bolt has been awesome. Well done Phelps, but for such a small country as Jamaica to come and take the athletics by storm is just something else.

Hey levdavidovich, it is kinda true that the bbc caters for the majority, since the woman's volleyball final was never broadcasted (since there was no British involvement), while other events (with British involvement and therefore more likely to be watched by everyone) were broadcasted repeatedly.

• 18. At 2:28pm on 22 Aug 2008, Ticape wrote:

High: Bolt 100m was definitely the Olympic moment for me.

Low: Bad behaviour such as sore losers (see US gymnastic fans complaining non stop about the Chinese athletes being too young). Arrogant (see British people/press, took them 100 years to get them this many medals but only 1 day to be arrogant and cocky about it) and I'm sure there's more.

• 19. At 2:36pm on 22 Aug 2008, BobBrady13 wrote:

Usain Bolt has been a revelation, let's hope he can now win gold in the 4 x 100m. Question: can someone tell me if Usain Bolt substitutes back in for one of the Jamaican team that ran the semi-final in his place yesterday, does that chap also receive a medal if Jamaica wins gold/silver or bronze in the final?

• 20. At 2:42pm on 22 Aug 2008, jasonvivi wrote:

Hey, APbbforum.

Is it the reason for pouring a bottle of water to a woman?

Can I kick your ass after saying "shut up PLEASE"?

• 21. At 5:38pm on 22 Aug 2008, stevedaytona wrote:

To those complaining about BBC's coverage, my guess is that is was substantially superior to the coverage over here in the USA.

NBC, as usual, does an abysmal job. Slightly more palatable this time around because there was at least online live video feeds available to me. I never thought I would enjoy watching the 10Km Open Water swim!

Lots of stunning highlights for me. All I need now is for the USA to lose the Men's Basketball final!!!

• 22. At 5:50pm on 22 Aug 2008, skbaner wrote:

I feel great and proud as an Asian and as an
    Indian that China has finally done it!!!
    Most in the west would still like to keep the resounding successof China both as a participant and host quiet and wish that the proverbial Bamboo curtain had not been lifted.The tragedy of liberalisation is its own denouement.
    Typically,Mr Adnan condescends the victory of China and its people.He forgets that Tibet and the earthquake and the trouble in the borders only made the chinese more determined , strongwilled and unified as a nation.No sir,lets accept well and truly they are an organised and a well-oiled machine.

But efficiency cannot be so efficient!!So would you have us believe.

We in Asia ignore such subtle nuances of tongue-in cheek as we have learnt over great periods of history in the past.

That China shall head the top of the table in the medal tally is only a milestone in its long Olympian journey of many indescribable victories.

It is not one single moment or moments that gives us our pride and inspiration.It is the collective,continuous and consistent performance throughout that makes us all Asians so touched and overcome with tears of unending joy.So let us just Celebrate, Freedom.. Or is it the patent of the west ?

Wish you the very best for London and I am not being, clever..Trust me...

• 23. At 6:36pm on 22 Aug 2008, DCHeretic wrote:

I will remember these Games for the athletic prowess of Michael Phelps and the graciousness of the Chinese people. The people of Beijing have been the consummate hosts.

• 24. At 00:39am on 23 Aug 2008, edonline wrote:

Besides some of the moments already meantioned, especiall Michael Phelps' eight gold medals, one of the moments I'll remember is German weightlifter Matthias Steiner's heartbreaking gold medal ceremony, holding his medal along with a photo of his late wife. It brought me tears especially knowing of his story,

• 25. At 04:03am on 23 Aug 2008, Stop_it_Aggers wrote:

Where to begin? Aside from the "obvious" ones like Bolt, here's a few from an unashamedly British perspective :

The openwater swimming of course. Not only did you have the "stories" of du Toit and van der Weidjen - but regardless of nationality, you had to admire the gutsiness of the GB swimmers in taking the lead for 9800-odd metres, holding off several attacks, and then finally just losing it at the death. I was jumping up and down shouting at the TV at 4 in the morning. And honourable mention to the little boom cameras that really drew you into the action.

Alistair Brownlee's attack in the triathlon running - shame he didn't quite sustain it. And the Ming Tombs themselves - what a venue.

The lightshow on the Cube.

Andy Baddeley's terrific burst in the semi of the 1500m.

The tears of the GB women's rowing quad - heartrending, but surely the medal "celebration" of the Games.

Elise Laverick and Anna Bebington - not fancied for any medal at all, but almost stole gold in the double sculls - fantastic stuff. One of the few "surprises" for GB.

Redgrave in a mac.

Hard to pick an individual moment in the velodrome, although Hoy nipping past Kenny in the sprint is probably it. And Romero becoming a two-sport medallist. But I think the abiding memory will be the way you could hear every single word of God Save the Queen at the ceremonies in the velodrome - they got enough practice I guess. But that was perhaps the most distinctive bit of crowd behaviour I remember.

BMX - a great entry to the Games. Even if too many of the "highlights" involved Shanaze falling over and showing her wounds.

Ben Ainslie's control over the American in the medal race that never was, and the move he pulled just before the actual medal race started.

Someone describing windsurfing in light wind as "aquatic poledancing".

Paul Goodison's Laser being carried by his teammates.

The Ling Long Pagoda - architecturally, and the views from the studio.

Becky Adlington's shoulders - see her arm raised in triumph and you won't forget it.

The wide-eyed enthusiasm of those GB swimming girlies, typified by the "Dame Becky" comment but there were several other examples.

Lochte winning gold and bronze within half an hour.

Grant Hackett not quite making it 3 golds in a row

The Spanish duo in the synchronised swimming.

Finding myself watching a Honduran do taekwondo at 5.30am - and I guess kudos to the BBC for bothering to show it in the first place.

Germaine Mason's high jump.

The girly giggle when the camera turned to Anastasia Ott before the 400m hurdles heat - soooo cute, and so untypical of sprinters' typical "race faces".

Bryan Clay slaughtering the decathlon field.
    And Awde's pole vault.

Fabiana Murer losing her pole.

Some of the saves in the beach volleyball - the women of the US and the "Georgilians" come to mind in particular.

The terrible DJing at the beach volleyball.

James DeGale's interview after the quarterfinal - just brings a smile to the face.

Realising that Louis Smith was actually going to get a medal.

Adrian Chiles having the boxing scoring system explained to him by Richie Woodhall.

Michaela Breeze's pain.

Kelly Sotherton's radio interview after Day 1 of the heptathlon - two PB's but "I was crap".

Kurkova consoling Emmons after he blew the shooting gold - again.

Brazil - Argentina in the football.

Did I mention the openwater swimming?

There's a few. But the overriding memory will just be that strange feeling of Team GB doing rather well. Let's hope that it's a recurring one.

• 26. At 07:35am on 23 Aug 2008, mridula wrote:

I am from India and for me the two Bronze medals won by Sushil Kumar in wrestling and by Vijendra Kumar in boxing are so much more significant because of the odds they faced to do so. Sushil Kumar's training quarters at New Delhi have been reported to have 9 people living in one dingy room. Vijendra's original boxing academy referred as BBC (Bhiwani Boxing Club) has tin shed and one hand pump for drinking water! Imagine these conditions and then what they have achieved.

• 27. At 1:16pm on 23 Aug 2008, notzorro wrote:

Lows - as ever we don't excel in the fencing.

Highs - amazing performances from our team - yippee!

Best bit has to be the complete and utter disregard for pronunciation by the presenters and commentators - it is soooo funny. They just look at a competitor's name and come up with a pronunciation on the spot rather than doing some research! Hope that continues in 2012!

• 28. At 1:19pm on 23 Aug 2008, notzorro wrote:

Acually - another low! My husband thought it was disgraceful that very few of the British team actually sang during the National Anthem - do they not know the words!?!

• 29. At 3:55pm on 23 Aug 2008, tobybrush wrote:

So GB has done well at the Beijing Olympics. The best in the last 100 years. So what are Brits going to tell the Dalai Lama?

When one thinks of the Beijing Games, it will be Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps. Those will be the high.

The lows will be the bitchiness leading up to the Games. Tibet, East Turkistan or isn't that Sinkiang and Londonistan. Oh, sorry. next Olympics.

• 30. At 4:15pm on 23 Aug 2008, Stop_it_Aggers wrote:

Another high - the superb perrformances by Italy and France in the fencing. ;-/

On the anthems - my old old grandad always treated the flag as more important than the anthem. So if you had both at the same time, you stood silently to attention to show respect to the flag, rather than showing respect to the anthem by singing. You only sang if there wasn't a flag.

The more prosaic answer of course is that people get so wrapped up in the emotion of it all that they need reminding to breathe, let alone sing. You can see that with the likes of James DeGale, who made it clear beforehand that he regarded the real prize for winning as the sound of the anthem rather than the lump of metal, but once he was up there he was stunned into silence.

OTOH, there are a few who don't sing for their republicanist beliefs, and yes, a few for whom remembering the words is a problem, I remember a joke being made about that with one of the women's "teams" - the Yngling crew? But I would regard that as a fault of their parents' and teachers' generation, rather than in the youth of today. It's the oldies of today that screwed up there.....

• 31. At 5:19pm on 23 Aug 2008, NitramNella wrote:

there are loads from a british perspective, but at the risk of the wrath of the Great British public, I am going to nominate Matty Mitcham's final dive in the 10m, platform this afternoon. That was perfection under intense pressure from the Chinese competitors and Chinese crowd and should not be overlooked. Pure class and so deserved

• 32. At 5:24pm on 23 Aug 2008, NitramNella wrote:

...by the way, I am British and have no connection with Australia whatsoever. Just thought his performance and reaction was truly special

• 33. At 6:10pm on 23 Aug 2008, lwelshbloke wrote:

So many highlights - but for me Chris Hoy was the stand out. His winning margin in the Keirin was simply unbelievable.

• 34. At 00:03am on 24 Aug 2008, kwinquark1 wrote:

The competitions, as a whole, were great. The BBC blogs - were peurile, in the main.

• 35. At 09:30am on 24 Aug 2008, marion24 wrote:

Alas, too many wonderful and memorable moments in these Olympics! I especially loved the Opening Ceremony, but in regards to the games themselves the best moments must have been:

-When Bolt won his 200m sprint, set a new record and the entire Bird's Nest sang 'Happy Birthday' to him

-Lin Dan tossing his shoes and racket into the crowd after his badminton victory

-The Australian crowds cheering Mitcham on during his 10m diving final! I don't think I've seen such creative cheering displays and decorations, and the level of enthusiasm was great

-The general atmosphere of the Beach Volleyball events; music and sun!

-And of course, the best part is seeing spectators and volunteers from all around the globe sit down together and just enjoy the games, not divided by politics and personal beliefs during those brief moments...

• 36. At 11:23am on 24 Aug 2008, creativesurder wrote:

We all knew this was going to be a contriversial Olympics, BUT HASN'T IT BEEN FANTASTIC!

As a British born Chinese/Vietnamese person, I can say I am proud of all 3 nations that won metals for their country that I am affilated with.

China did a great job hosting the event and hopefully this will enable the West to see more about the culture and history of China. Also I do hope that China will develop and hopefully they will open their eyes too and have a better understanding of the world.

My highs have been:

Seeing Team GB winning a record number of Gold Metals.

The gymnastics

Lows:

The terrible judging for the Taekwondo for Sarah Stevenson. I mean, were the judges asleep?

• 37. At 12:10pm on 24 Aug 2008, danhidyat wrote:

notzorro: regarding the anthem- its because not everyone is GB is from England! The scots know the scottish anthem, the welsh the welsh anthem, alot of northern irish know the irish anthem.

the 'british' anthem is just for the english, accept that. everything that GB does is associated with england. 'god save the queen'? thats the english anthem - so stop making the rest of us sing it. im sick of 'GB'- you english dont know what its like, knowing the world assocaites GB with england, and all your achievments get pinned to GB (ie ENGLAND), even though your from scotland, ireland or wales.

GB is all four of us, everyone knows the world only sees england- and its not bloody fair on the rest of us. im sick of my actions being rewarded to you.

• 38. At 2:35pm on 24 Aug 2008, johninpenalba wrote:

One of the delights of these olympics for me has been the success of the sports people from the unsung events. Those who have worked tirelessly for years without publicity and hardly known outside their sport, and who have produced results when it mattered. Compare their low profile dignity with that of the posturing ninnies who get so much coverage and who consistently fail to deliver in big events.
    Well done to all those who went out and produced personal bests in their events, no matter where they ended up. All that those of us who support really want is to see, is those that we cheer for, go out and give everything they have when they are given the opportunity

• 39. At 2:51pm on 24 Aug 2008, johninpenalba wrote:

Oh and just to follow up on the national anthem debate....Scots do have a point when they are reluctant to sing it. Doesn't one of the verses refer to taming rebellious Scots?

• 40. At 4:41pm on 24 Aug 2008, appaloosy wrote:

Eric Lamaze, individual show jumping gold medalist, from CANADA.

Simply LAmazing!

The background story behind this man's eventual victory is worthy of a gold medal alone. Never mind that Eric Lamaze had to overcome tremendous obstacles and personal demons to find his way to triumph - He never hid his troubled past from anyone - it was all there for the world to see; and his redemption played out on the world’s biggest stage.

Although I expressed my doubts at the beginning about Lamaze, I have to say that this young man proved all the naysayers wrong, with his incredible determination, focus, drive, and ability.

Never mind that he proved it on the world's biggest stage, but he proved it with class, humility, style and grace.

Bravo Eric. You deserve all the accolades.

Your fans salute you.

• 41. At 10:16pm on 24 Aug 2008, Karl wrote:

My highlights?

Matthew Mitcham in the 10m platform diving.

I have stayed up most of the night to watch Phelps complete his promotional tour and have admired his determination to achieve what was contracted by the US media.

Usain Bolt's performance enthralled me, the joy and exuberance of an athlete dominating his sport. Even more so after the IOC bureaucrat Rogge found it appropriate to comment on his 100m celebrations.

But to me, the highlight has to be Australia's Matthew Mitcham. In a competition which everyone agreed would be another Chinese victory, he performed the most perfect dive in Olympic history. While many athletes have overcome personal problems to reach the highest level, Mitcham's story must be unique. The only openly gay Olympic champion during competition, he must have faced extraordinary pressures, media, competitors, officials and not the least from the IOC.

A great role model.

• 42. At 10:16pm on 24 Aug 2008, etc777 wrote:

Favorite moments of the Beijing Olympics:

- Watching Barbora Spotakova from the Czech Republic win the javelin with the final throw.

- Watching Gold medalists sing their national anthem as their flag was being raised.

- Singing 'happy birthday' to Bolt on his birthday in the Bird's Nest as he was awarded the gold for the 200m.

Worst moments:

- Seeing both the US men's and women's relay teams drop their batons.

- Getting a cab after the events at the Bird's Nest. Try beating ~60,000 other people looking to do the same.

• 43. At 10:43am on 25 Aug 2008, Castner_Keller wrote:

Why is it "Team GB"?

Why not "Team UK"?

Just wondering ....

• 44. At 12:23pm on 25 Aug 2008, NATCANADIAN wrote:

Congradulations to GB for superlative performance in Olympics, but what a shody unmannerly acceptance of Olympic flag by the Mayor of London who couldn't shut his suit bottons and went like a wagabound to receive the Olympic flag----which was a disrespect to flag and brought shame to Great Britan and her Royalty.

Chinese came out on top with President Hu Jin Tao, and 2 of his colleaugues dressed up well and presented the closing ceremony professionally in a business like way.What a great show by China !

Where is English mannerrism? Adnan Nawaz you must retain this post, so English will also know their follies and learn from stupid blunder.

• 45. At 2:00pm on 25 Aug 2008, flashing blade wrote:

The top performance has to go to GB Cycling. 3 gold medals for Hoy, 2 for Wiggins, 1 for Romero in a completely different discipline, an astonishing world record for the team pursuit (arguably a better like-for-like performance than Usain Bolt).

But I think it'll take a long time to forget Michaela Breeze's screams of pain and anguish in making successful lifts while suffering agonising back pain. That said so much about what the Olympics means to competitors.

• 46. At 6:49pm on 25 Aug 2008, Stop_it_Aggers wrote:

Castner_Keller

The GB thing is complicated. It goes back to the very early days of the Olympics - I suspect because GBR also works as an abbreviation for Grande Bretagne in French, whereas UK and RU are less "obvious" to those either side of that divide (let VK in German!) and has stayed ever since.

But there's a more direct reason, in that people from Northern Ireland are now allowed to compete for either GB or Ireland - and in fact I think the majority of people to win medals for Ireland have been boxers from Belfast. So that's part of it, although the GB thing goes back to before the partition of Ireland.

Good shout etc777 on the women's javelin BTW - one of the best field events. And Bolt's "Happy Birthday".

National anthems - one verse was added after Culloden that includes "God grant that Marshal Wade...Rebellious Scots to crush". Given that Culloden was mostly about Lowland Scots fighting off attacks from French-financed Highland rebels, you could argue that modern-day inhabitants of the Central Belt would support those sentiments. Wade himself was Irish.... But I'm not sure if that verse still has any official status, which would make it equivalent to some of the other words to that tune, such as the hymn "My country 'tis of thee" and of course the national anthem of Liechtenstein. We're not alone in this though - the Germans have discarded the first two verses of their anthem, which make territorial claims from Poland to Italy.

• 47. At 7:09pm on 25 Aug 2008, Mark B wrote:

There are almost too many to list, a great games.

Patriotically speaking, Cooke, Adlington, Hoy, Wiggins, Coxless Four, Brabants, Ainslie, Yngling, Goddison, etc, etc, etc

I used to get bored at the repeated strains of Star Spangled Banner and Deutschland Deutschland über Alle. Thanks to the Brits for almost making me bored of my own anthem.

Sheer sporting achievement:

Bolt - almost surreal in his brillians
    Phelps - the automaton of the pool
    Hoy - showing what cana be achieved on a bike

Emotion:

German weightlifter with the picture of his wife
    Russian and Georgian united on the podium
    Swedish wrestler and Cuban taekwondo losing it to differing degrees
    The tears of the French boxer who thought he was cheated
    India's first individual gold
    The Togan kayaker who won his country(s first medal and snapped his oar in joy

and finally, a team moment.

I watched the final gold be decided, France vs Iceland in the Men's Handball and watched a united team win a professional vistory, and celebrate as a team

Every four years the sporting world gathers, to celebrate both individuality and team skills. At the end, 302 Olympic champions encompassing nearer to almost 1000 athletes go home heroes for winning, and almost 10000 go home heroes for taking part

Long live the Olympics and roll on 2012

• 48. At 11:50pm on 25 Aug 2008, Jonathan Higgins wrote:

Speaking as a proud ex-pat living in Japan…

Highlight - Bolt and Team GB

Lowlight - Japan's softball gold medal and Korea's baseball gold. Bitter-sweet victories which proved that both sports are not the exclusive possession of North America and their exclusion from 2012 was an error in judgment.

Star - the steward who ended up with Beckham's football - may he make a mint on eBay!

Tip for 2012 - slow play your hand London. The city is the star. And Boris - get your suit pressed next time!

• 49. At 10:13am on 26 Aug 2008, maliang wrote:

i suggest british dont compare between beijing olympic games opening ceremony and london games opening ceremony ,because china diffent from uk,first,china is a very big country,has big population, vast territory,5000 years old history,so china must use grand and luxurious scene to show himself,but uk is a small island,these things is unnecessary for uk,second,and also not have so many resources,maybe taxpayer and congress in uk can not to accept cost so much money in ceremony ,but in china is diffent ,central government can maneuver all power ,so this is why everybody say beijing games and the opening closing ceremony is exceptional

• 50. At 8:46pm on 29 Aug 2008, bagstaff wrote:

I think this is one of, if not the, most enjoyable games in my lifetime. I have felt lost without the olympics it was truly special.

Of course the success of the brits made it all the more special. I don't know which of those made me jump out of my seat the most - possibly Nicole Cooke, it was the first but was there any better. However, our only athletics gold was up there with it, and two outragous world records in swimming and cycling.

And other great highlights, not least Mr Bolt, but equally two great distant running doubles, and the magnificent phelps.

However, like a previous poster, almost one week later one moment has lived on beyond all others - and I know it will be my lasting memory from the games. That is Matthew Mitcham in the ten metre diving final. Who would have thought I would be sat here writing about an aussie??? However, to win a gold in diving stopping a chinese clean sheet was an achievement in itself. To do that by producing the final dive he did was incredible. And of course there is a unique story behind this, as already mentioned, that meant he was under a very different spotlight. All this from a guy who 'retired' under the pressure two years ago. To go through the competetition with a smile and wave, whether his dives were good or bad, was a joy to see. The memory will live long.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites