bbc.co.uk Navigation

In a wonderful week from an amazing athlete, this was the most staggering moment of all.

19.30 seconds? Jaws dropped. Gobs were smacked, flabbers were gasted.

That shouldn't have been possible. Michael Johnson's 200m world record was supposed to be untouchable. Usain Bolt was supposed to be tired after running eight races in six days.

Bolt, we should know now, makes the impossible real.

"I blew my mind," he said afterwards, "and I blew the world's mind."

This was one of the top two or three performances in athletics history, produced by a 21-year old who should probably now be hailed the finest sprinter the world has seen.

It sounds like too much, like hyperbole - but how can you argue with 9.69 and 19.30?

Bolt's 100m was a thing of brilliant insousiance, of spectacular exuberance.

On Wednesday night we saw a different Usain. Before he settled on his blocks, there was the same clowning and posing as before his record-breaking run last Saturday - wiping his hands across his glistening head at increasing pace before holding the archer's pose as the crowd roared its delight.

When the gun sounded, however, there was no coasting the last 20 metres, no holding his arms out like an airplane, no looking up at the stands as he flew towards the line.

Tonight, there was no mistaking the effort. He hammered out of the blocks, had a gap of three metres coming off the bend and then poured in every last drop of energy he had, gritting his teeth, driving with his arms, throwing himself at the line.

When he glanced to his left and saw the clock, he threw his head back and then collapsed to the track, forehead and hands flat on the ground.

The 200m is his event. This was the record he wanted.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions

"I knew I could go that fast," he said. "But I told myself if I was going to get the world record it had to be here, because the track is so fast.

"So I went out there and gave it my all, and left everything on that track."

So unique is Bolt that he does all this on a diet they've banned from school menus as unhealthy.

After getting out of bed at midday, he got his masseur to bring him some chicken nuggets for breakfast.

"Then I came straight to the track, and my massuers brought me some more nuggets," he said. "I just ate two though because my coach said I shouldn't eat so many nuggets."

Bolt had two great athletics heroes as a youngster - Johnson and Jamaican sprint great Don Quarrie.

In the last week, he has outdone them both, first by eclipsing Johnson's greatest single achievement and then becoming the first man since Quarrie to hold both 100m and 200m world records at the same time.

Steve Cram, who was commentating on the race for BBC Television, was stunned by what he saw.

"It's very hard to put that into perspective," he said. "Johnson's record was in the Bob Beamon league of world records, the sort that you think will stay around for 20 years.

"Those sort of records are generally only broken when you have at least a couple of great athletes going head-to-head. Usain did that entirely by himself.

"People haven't been getting close to this record. With Seb Coe's 800m world record, athletes were running close to it even when it wasn't being broken, but that's not the case with Johnson's mark.

"Bolt did it too into a headwind of 0.9 m/s. Without that, he would have gone closer to 19.20. It was a privilege to watch."

Had Bolt merely completed the sprint double, merely in a sluggush time of, oh, 19.60 or something, it still would have been a historic achievement.

The double's only previously been done eight times in the 24 Olympics since the 200m was introduced in 1900.

The last time it happened was when a 23-year-old Carl Lewis ran 19.80 seconds to take his third gold of the famous four, 24 years ago in Los Angeles.

The 200m final here wasn't the toughest line-up in Olympic history, weakened as it was in the absence of world champion Tyson Gay, who beat Bolt into silver in Osaka a year ago.

It wouldn't have made a jot of difference if it had been. Chuck in Johnson, Frankie Fredericks from the same Atlanta final, Lewis, Quarrie, Tommie Smith - take your pick.

They'd all have been left staring at Bolt's golden heels.

"Johnson revolutionised the sport, but I just changed it a bit," said Bolt modestly afterwards.

Johnson described Bolt as "Superman" after this run. Bolt's reaction to that comment told you a great deal.

"I'm Lightning Bolt! I'm not Flash Gordon or anybody. My name is Bolt - Lightning Bolt."

Tom Fordyce is a BBC Sport journalist covering a wide range of events in Beijing. Our FAQs should answer any questions you have.

Comments

• 1. At 8:06pm on 20 Aug 2008, Nasri4Gunners-Save 606 wrote:

Bolt is amazing. The quickest person in history and he also has such a great personality. Usain Bolt is every kids hero now! I am so pleased for him, hopefully he can go for greater things in the future. 400 metres maybe?

• 2. At 8:21pm on 20 Aug 2008, wombletiltheend wrote:

Never thought that record would go, Johnson was immense but looks like Bolt can take 1/10 off 100m and 2/10 off 200m in the next two three years. Obscene.

• 3. At 8:25pm on 20 Aug 2008, ogo1492 wrote:

Bolt is truly the greatest

• 4. At 8:32pm on 20 Aug 2008, Hitcho wrote:

In this kind of form, with the right track and close to a maximum permitted tailwind, you could see Bolt doing the absolutely unthinkable breaking 9.50 for the 100m and 19.00 for the 200m. And he's only 21 - so many people have said sprinters don't reach their peak until they are in their late 20's. Looking forward to the Worlds and Olympics for the next 10 to 12 years if he stays fit and on form!

• 5. At 8:40pm on 20 Aug 2008, paddy3118 wrote:

I was trying to find Jamaica on the Athletics medal table. I couldn't find it as I did the normal thing of skipping a few before searching in earnest. Eventually I did a double take as I found it AT THE HEAD OF THE TABLE!!

Bolt seems to have energised the whole team. It's great to see to see GB doing so well, and a huge Joy to see the West Indies as a whole doing so well in the sprints.

- Paddy.

• 6. At 8:51pm on 20 Aug 2008, gr8ron wrote:

If i was bolt i would legally change my name to usain thunder lighting bolt.

• 7. At 8:51pm on 20 Aug 2008, Edinburgh Pete wrote:

Awesome, I remember the night Johnson broke the record in 96 and they said then it would be hard to beat but Bolt has just taken this to another level and could go even faster – scary

• 8. At 8:53pm on 20 Aug 2008, alisopinion wrote:

What a way to celebrate your 22nd Birthday!

• 9. At 9:03pm on 20 Aug 2008, Prince of Wales wrote:

He should try the 400m now. Maybe he can break that record too.

• 10. At 9:07pm on 20 Aug 2008, worthingwire wrote:

#7 - Johnson's time WAS hard to beat. It's taken 12 years for anyone to get anywhere near it!

• 11. At 9:11pm on 20 Aug 2008, kevin2000jm wrote:

Wow, Wow, Wow, I think we now have to label him the greatest Sprinter ever
    His performance defies description, it was simply the greatest I have ever seen

• 12. At 9:13pm on 20 Aug 2008, Preke69 wrote:

I'm giddy with joy. And all of Ja with me.

• 13. At 9:13pm on 20 Aug 2008, wombletiltheend wrote:

Agree Cockneywire. No-one else is going to get near Johnson's except Bolt. Anyone else looking forward to 4x100???

• 14. At 9:15pm on 20 Aug 2008, Agamemn0n wrote:

When Pietro Mennea set 19.72 in 1979 at altitude, I thought that was rock-solid - it lasted 17 years. So when Michael Johnson smashed ithe record by a massive by 0.4 seconds I couldn't comprehend anyone else coming close (I felt sorry for sorry for Frankie Fredericks coming in behind Michael at 19.68 s).

So I reckon Usain's performance into a significant headwind has got to be nothing short of amazing. With all those samples he's given, he must be tending towards anemia nad dehydration too! Top banana!

• 15. At 9:26pm on 20 Aug 2008, tunder_igor21 wrote:

i think that in 20 years ther will be time for 100m about 8.9 and on 200m 18.3 becuse the human population will grow like they did in the past 20 years and they will do long steps andthey will be faster

• 16. At 9:33pm on 20 Aug 2008, howitreallyis wrote:

Is being the first man to win the 100m, 200m and 400m out of reach?

• 17. At 9:56pm on 20 Aug 2008, Tinykin wrote:

No it isn't. In 1947, another Jamaican, Herb McKenley, had the world's fastest times for the 100, 200 and 400m. The only man ever to achieve that feat in one season.

• 18. At 10:01pm on 20 Aug 2008, MootSights wrote:

That was insain.

• 19. At 10:16pm on 20 Aug 2008, KennyGy2k2 wrote:

Totally amazin run by bolt Wow
    Guess next step the 400 meters
    Also in the 4X100 meters Jamaica gotta have a shot at breaking the record with both bolt and powell

Anybody know his splits for the 200???

• 20. At 10:16pm on 20 Aug 2008, pineapple wrote:

This guy will be unstoppable. How fast he is is ridiculous.

He is a freak though - and I mean that in the nicest way possible. You won't see many 6ft5 men match their stride with such unbelievable leg speed.

I feel sorry for Spearmon and Martina in particular as this would have been his first Olympic medal. But rules are rules.

Congrats Usain on an amazing week - but its not finished yet...

• 21. At 10:17pm on 20 Aug 2008, pineapple wrote:

Anybody know his splits for the 200???

---------------

10 seconds flat for his first 100 and 9.3 for the straight

• 22. At 10:21pm on 20 Aug 2008, pineapple wrote:

Oh, I forgot to add -

How many people have had "Happy Birthday" sung to them by 91,000 individuals - 91,001 if you count me :)

• 23. At 10:33pm on 20 Aug 2008, peter2o6 wrote:

After the 100m performance, I said that if he never ever won a race in his entire life, his status was secure.

This performance just puts him beyond the stratosphere. 91 000 people in the stadium, billions worldwide watching all in expectation.

And the 22 year old MAN delivered.

This is the stuff of legends.

• 24. At 10:36pm on 20 Aug 2008, eduejelete wrote:

up until now, to break something is an act that attract problems, crisis and moody moments. However, when Usain Bolt destroyed the standard by breaking the world record in a 200 M, the world was rather happy. congratulations Bolt!!!

• 25. At 10:55pm on 20 Aug 2008, Batson_D_Belfry wrote:

Astonishing. And truly great as Phelps' achievements have been, Bolt is the guy who has really lit up these games.

The 100m had me out of my seat, to win it by so much, to break the world record, and in the last 10-15m to already be holding out his arms bringing us in to the celebration in the joy at his ability.

But here he was today, after so much racing that must have taken energy even out of this phenomenon, running into a headwind and beating a record I thought I would never see beaten.

I still remember the shock of Michael Johnson's record 12 years ago - I'd never seen the record for a sprint distance like this beaten by so much. And Bolt's comments that Johnson revolutionised the sport while he's just changed it a bit show there is even a degree of humility and a whole lot of respect behind the every so watchable showmanship.

But while Bolt may not have taken such a chunk out of the record of Johnson, what he has done by combining the 100m and 200m, winning them both, and breaking world records in both has been just as big.

So thanks to Usain Bolt, it's been a joy to watch, and good luck in the relay.

• 26. At 11:19pm on 20 Aug 2008, urbnrebel wrote:

Mr Fordyce I'd like to shake your hand! What we witnesssed this afternoon is rare indeed and at last someone is giving the full acknowledgement of just what this young man has done.
    As Usain rounded the final bend, the roar of the crowd swelled, willing him on, every stride he took we took with him, we could see every fibre, every sinew pulsating with the effort he was making to break that record. And with his final dip we all basked in his glorious triumph ... you just don't get that with a swimming pool.

I pity the US pettiness that reduced them to ensuring that the tiny nation of the Dutch Antilles were stripped of their ONLY ever Olympic medal, I mean, c'mon ...

• 27. At 00:03am on 21 Aug 2008, digme12 wrote:

that level of pettiness is masked in the form of fairness... but really what it is, is jealousy. i was really saddened when i heard that they resorted to giving the medal to the american. Are you kidding me? nobody in 20 years is going to remember who came in 2nd in this race? if there were ever a chance for the 2nd place finisher to be recognized, he would have had to "compete" against the winner.... not in this race... it was won on the turn by bolt long before the end.

• 28. At 00:20am on 21 Aug 2008, davidmorgs wrote:

Until these olympics there were two athletics records that I thought could not be broken; Johnson's 19.32 in Atlanta and Jonathan Edward's 18.29m in Gothenberg.

Both records reflected 2 of the most physically gifted athletes in their respected sports at the very height of their powers and while I wasnt shocked to see the Lightning Bolt break the 100m record (I still reckon he can break 9.6 with the right conditions and if he tries) I was astonished to see the 200m record go as well. It will be interesting now to see if anyone else can convert a 6ft 5in man to sprint likes hes 5ft 10.

Well done Usain, simply amazing.

P.S. I still think Jonathans record will stand for a very very long time

• 29. At 00:30am on 21 Aug 2008, jafallon wrote:

Gentle people, all those who are (were) talking have Usain Bolt proven to you that he is the big man...
    Haters, eat your heart out, Jamaica is on a roll, natural, raw born talent.

We dont have to be first world to win races, we are sprinters, drug free sprinters.

Dem ago tiad fi si wi face..... Bob Marley

• 30. At 00:39am on 21 Aug 2008, Ian B wrote:

Pity there isn't a time machine so that we could put Michael Johnson of 1996 against Usain Bolt of today - equal track, equal equipment in these conditions. Would have been one great race.

Let's hope that he can stay free of injuries and run a championship in favourable conditions (>1m/s tail wind): sub 9.6 and 19.0 could be possible.

Given his size and amazing cruising speed, he could also move the goalposts in the 400m - sub 43s looks potentially within his scope, but could he be the athlete to produce the leap forward here towards 42.5s?

Phelps may have the medals, but for me the two dominant performers in the Games have been Chris Hoy and Usain Bolt - their opponents just couldn't get close.

• 31. At 01:16am on 21 Aug 2008, inpitlane wrote:

I'm just glad as an Australian that he gave up his teenage career path as a fast bowler. Imagine how good he could be.
    I just hope everyone is right about Bolt and his "cleanness" I remember as a young would be 100 m runner watching in awe as a guy named Johnson won the 100 and smashed the world record only to be stripped of the title later.
    The sport of athletics really needs Bolt who after the race showed himself to be a good bloke as well, his time spent with the world's media was most impressive and a huge contrast to the arrogance shown so often by competitors from the USA. Both runs were a privilege to watch.

• 32. At 01:24am on 21 Aug 2008, rovert711 wrote:

I would really like to see the Lightening Bolt using his speed to see what damage he would do in the long jump. I'm sure he could re-write the record books in that particular discipline also.

• 33. At 02:42am on 21 Aug 2008, The Cheese______A LOL Expert wrote:

given the successes of the jamaican runners in beijing, what new training methods are they employing to suddenly be top of the pile??

will it be found to have been the santa monica track club sort??

all those braces at this olympids, did u ever see so many in post-race interviews??

• 34. At 04:31am on 21 Aug 2008, revonja wrote:

My God!

I just finally get a breather since, since 'lighting Bolt' flashes to 19.30 in Beijing.

What a stunning perfarmance by the now 22 year old. What a birthday present.......

Let me tell you this, Jamaica was at a stand still when the race was running yesterday. People used pot covers for their cheering tool and block street to celebrate the world record run by the greatest sprinter ever!

I think he turns out to be China's hero for the games and the world, I guest. The way the crowd roared inside the birds' nest, I think the structure was in danger........

A big contratulation to MR. USAIN 'LIGHTINING' BOLT.

• 35. At 05:54am on 21 Aug 2008, memaria03 wrote:

I think Usain is one of the greatest athlete alive. I love his wit . I am extremely proud of all our athletes in china. The pharmacy is closed !!!! drug-free athletes reign forever!

• 36. At 07:21am on 21 Aug 2008, forfar-loon wrote:

Loved Steve Cram's commentary: "I'm sorry, I've no idea who came 2nd or 3rd!". I've had the same experience watching all Bolt's races in these Olympics. He's hypnotic and takes your eyes off all the other runners. Just incredible.

• 37. At 09:02am on 21 Aug 2008, sanquirico wrote:

Sorry to burst the bubble of excitement, and I don't mean to be a cynic or naysayer, but...I have become incredibly cynical of superhuman performances because of the smear of drugs on athletics, past and present. This does not mean I necessarily believe Bolt is a cheat at all. However, there is an undercurrent of suspicion on all athletes who take our breath away, especially in this way. Bolt's 100m performance reminded me of Ben Johnson in Seoul, a fantastically easy win. Michael Johnson broke all records in the Butch Reynolds era of cheating and EPO. We have a history in the Olympics of 'waves' of countries dominating certain sports...e.g. Bulgaria and Iran in weightlifting (suddenly they've fallen away, how come?), the women's GDR team in middle distance and field events. I cannot judge whether Bolt is clean, if he is, then well done and you're amazing. If not, just another cheat who's beaten the system. I prefer to sit on the fence these days.

• 38. At 09:30am on 21 Aug 2008, BMACO1981 wrote:

Amen to that sanquirico, couldn't agree more. I don't understand why these records aren't being treated with a degree of suspicion.

• 39. At 09:45am on 21 Aug 2008, sambohandsome1 wrote:

Ooooh my GOD!!! what can i say, i was extremely breathless for a few seconds and well i guess i still am!!! i was just seated in the living room on my couch looking at the 100m runners thinking the second winner was the first not seeing and knowing there was a MIGHTY SUPER HERO!!! ahead of the league.
    i mean this guy is spectacular ,fascinating and amusing at the same time.Hes got the highest speed i have ever seen in my whole life were my own eyes bulged out of my sockets!!!

Usain lightning bolt, you are the man!!! standing at 6ft 5 and able to splint like that.

It will only take a man of GOD to beat that record!!! and i must you that you need to realize the speed you got is GOD given and you should always thank GOD for your achievements and first of all put him first in whatever you do..

GOD BLESS YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• 40. At 10:12am on 21 Aug 2008, delarankin wrote:

Usain is great ambassador of sprinting and bringing much enthusiasm and good publicity for a sport that has suffered one drug scandal after another.
    Jacques Rogge is completely disillusioned to think that Bolt is disrespectfull! He is the fasted man on the planet....the fastest ever, so he has earned to right to dance infron to the whol world. If the IOC president has nothing better to do than to seek a bit of cheap publicity for himself, then maybe he should consider stepping down. Bolt is the face of the olympics (no disrespect to Michael Phelps), so Jacques Rogge should put up with it and shut up!

• 41. At 10:33am on 21 Aug 2008, Ian B wrote:

I watch sport to see the unbelievable performances - unfortunately all too often in recent years, these have later shown to be based on drug abuse rather than talent.

I hope Bolt is running clean - judging from his physiology I think there is a very good chance he is, and is just a freak (in the nicest possible way) who combines huge stride length with a natural high cadence.
    I know comparisons have been made to Ben Johnson's performance in Seoul, in terms of dominance, but I think Bolt looks much more a natural talent - running 9.85 in the 100m semi when he was jogging for half the race was just one of those amazing sights of someone making the impossible look easy

• 42. At 10:34am on 21 Aug 2008, AndyPlowright wrote:

Jacques Rogge needs a darn good slap.

"I've no problem with him doing a show. But I think he should show more respect and shake hands after the finish."

Presumably Jacques has been watching highlights of 1920's Gentlemen versus Players matches and decided that Usain's antics just weren't cricket. If a man can't showboat when he breaks two world records over 100 and 200 metres, when can he? After all the grief of the Balco affair, Bolt has shown the world the great side of athletics.

• 43. At 10:45am on 21 Aug 2008, brentwoodhammer wrote:

• 44. At 10:54am on 21 Aug 2008, chris wrote:

Bolt is awesome. I really do believe he could run the 400. Looking at his relaxed running style I feel he could probably break the worl record in that as well. So.. London 2012 how about bolt competes in the: 100,200,400,4x100 and the 4x400. There's 5 golds in the bag and the greatest track athlete of all time would be crowned at the 2016 games as I THINK Lewis has 9 Golds.

• 45. At 10:55am on 21 Aug 2008, rohinf wrote:

I understand those that are suspicious. But sanquiro your reasoning is faulty. A minority of athletes take drugs. I'm not sure why you mention Michael Johnson as he never tested positive and was very vocal and proactive in ensuring he was tested frequently. He took a zero tolerance approach to drug cheats.

Sure armchair cynics can sit back and say any great performance is pharmacologically enhanced, but in real life we adhere to the rule of innocent until proven guilty. You cannot say someone is guilty by association.

Furthermore, the real athletics fans have been following Usain Bolt since he was 14. He was smashing records before he was out of short pants. To somehow claim he was being doped before he hit puberty is either malicious or stupid.

Say what you like about Usain Bolt's records having to be treated with suspicion, but until he tests positive, you should be ignored and he should be hailed as an all-time great.

• 46. At 10:58am on 21 Aug 2008, rohinf wrote:

And to those talking about Bolt in the 400m - he used to run that as a junior but moved down to 200m (and 100m last year). I doubt he would want to move back up. His explosive style is more power sprint than endurance.

Favourite quotes from Usain Bolt coverage:

"I just want to chill out and sleep. I wish it was the weekend, so I could chill out in some sandals."

"You want the truth?" Bolt said. "I got up at 12. My masseuse brought me nuggets, of course. I'm serious. I didn't want to go to the cafeteria. I went straight to the track and my masseuse brought me more nuggets."

From the inventor of the dance that Bolt has now popularised:

"Mi feel great inna mi self, fi si seh di fastest man a do my dance and break the record on my birthday, Him have di whole framework, but it nuh look that bad"

• 47. At 11:00am on 21 Aug 2008, levdavidovich wrote:

Rogge is a miserable so-and-so (edited)

Bolt 100m was one of the most glorious moments ever in sport!

• 48. At 11:05am on 21 Aug 2008, athletic84 wrote:

Has anyone thought about how amazing Bolt would be at the Long Jump!! He could do the 100, 200, 400 and Long Jump if the schedule allows.

I really think he could jump out of the pit! he is the fastest man alive and 6ft 5. Carl Lewis was an amazing Long Jumper I think Bolt could be greater!

• 49. At 11:06am on 21 Aug 2008, BulletMonkey wrote:

And the best thing is, there's absolutely no reason to suspect him of cheating. He's just a very tall man who worked out what the other tall men couldn't, making him the greatest technician in sprinting history.

I think Robles can beat his own hurdles medal and, after his 44.15 in the semis where he jogged the last 50 metres, there's no reason not to believe that Wariner can't decimate the 400m record as well. This could be a very memorable Olympics for all the right reasons.

• 50. At 11:09am on 21 Aug 2008, Gensportfan wrote:

Check this link to hear Bolt stance on the 400m. He ran 45.35 at 16 but he doesn't like the 400m. Follow the link and read about his (Bolt) promise to Bert Cameron(400m world champion and Jamaica National 400m coach).

• 51. At 11:12am on 21 Aug 2008, BMACO1981 wrote:

It's understandable that track + field enthusiasts are keen to believe in Bolt given that the sport has been torn apart by scandals over the past 20 years. However, given the sheer volume of sprinters that have turned out to be cheats it's impossible not to be extremely sceptical about such exceptional times.

• 52. At 11:17am on 21 Aug 2008, Gensportfan wrote:

• 53. At 11:21am on 21 Aug 2008, MaxxBlog wrote:

I have a real problem when some sports administrators descend (not really meaning this word) to the level of athletes and just spew out a fair amount of something I don't want to mention. What is Rogge's problem? This is akin to plain and simple green-eyed jealousy. This youngman makes us feel good about watching sprint athletics; makes us feel like one of them by breaking out into a very funny and very silly dance; makes us feel their humanness. He finished running 100m/200m not a 7hr game of chess!!! Jacques Rogge, please get a life!!! En plus, he is a free-spirited JAMAICAN; very, very, very different from any other nation. He will not fit into your stereotype - just live with it. I would also lay blame at the journalist(s) who decided to let us hear what he said. He should have just been blacked out.
    Thank you Usain for giving me another great moment fo sport to be happy about. Thank you to the other athletes for competing with Usain and making yourselves proud!! You will always be in those video reels.

Mr Rogge, please find a warm blanket and just cozy up in it. Duh!!

• 54. At 11:35am on 21 Aug 2008, BMACO1981 wrote:

Zoooommmmmmmmmm!!!!! How fast was that!!!!!!!! Wow!!!! Let's forget about the last 20 years and let's embrace the future. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

• 55. At 11:39am on 21 Aug 2008, LeeBJames wrote:

This guy is maturing well. An excellent juniour who now looks set to reign supreme for some time.
    Hopefully a few of the other athletes will raise their game to challenge and drive the records down some more.
    Headwind of 0.9 m/s probably evened out the factor of the new track.
    Johnson ran with a 0.4 m/s tailwind to make his record.
    Maybe the 400m is a tad too far but how about 300m a rarely run distance?

As a huge fan of sprinting my one disappointment albeit very small is that he didn't run to the line in the 100m final. Had he done this then he might have done sub 9.6s

As for the showboating, who cares? The man has reignited an otherwise dull overly focussed sport!
    Who is this Rogge fellow anyway? What has he done for the good of the sport?

• 56. At 11:40am on 21 Aug 2008, SportsUnited2009 wrote:

Suprised somebody has come out and criticised Bolt's antics and accusing him of showing off. I thought him celebrating 10 metres before the line in the 100m was not showing off, he just seemed so excited about winning.

As for the dancing and 'hair brushing' before his 200m, that isn't really showing off either, he's just proving he's not at all nervous and is possibly one of the most relaxed sportsman ever.

• 57. At 11:43am on 21 Aug 2008, fair teh middlin wrote:

The highlight of the Olympics.

Rogge who?

• 58. At 11:44am on 21 Aug 2008, nikosbb wrote:

this record is supernatural.his running too and a "coincidence"is jamaica winning in 100-200 metres in both men and women...

• 59. At 11:46am on 21 Aug 2008, Judge88 wrote:

We now need Usain to make the next step in his career....the long jump, Carl Lewis did it and was sensational. At 6ft 5in and with his speed I bet Bolt could challenge in what is a pretty average long jump field at the moment, it would also give him another excuse to play to the crowd. His beginnings as a fast bowler also give him a good grounding in an event where he has to judge his run up to gain the maximum possible distance.
    2012, 3 individual golds Usain...sounds good doesn't it?

• 60. At 11:47am on 21 Aug 2008, Pickles91 wrote:

Two World Records, Two Gold medals and no-one was near him, what is he meant to do shake their hands and tell them good race? That would be worse than what he did. He is the best and by a mile, why should he not celebrate?

• 61. At 11:47am on 21 Aug 2008, rohinf wrote:

"a "coincidence"is jamaica winning in 100-200 metres in both men and women..."

Are you suggesting Usain Bolt dressed up as a girl and won the women's events too?

I KNEW IT.

• 62. At 11:49am on 21 Aug 2008, Scott344 wrote:

This guy Rogge says that he showboats to much but if you cant showboat after winning the 100M and 200M and breaking world records in both. When can you showboat?

• 63. At 11:58am on 21 Aug 2008, dudepod45 wrote:

No doubt Bolt is great. But the greatest ever? You need to add the words...so far. No matter how fantastic world records seem at the time, they will inevitably be broken at some point in the future. And regarding his showboating, it will be interesting to see how he handles the inevitable future decline in his athletic career.

• 64. At 12:02pm on 21 Aug 2008, BigBlackBulldog wrote:

This is in answer to "Sanquirico" comment 37.
    So you believe the little island Jamaica may have a wonder drug that the rest of the world hasn't discovered yet. And that we have no reason to celebrate at these latest achievements. Maybe before you make any further comments you should suggest what other test should be made, so that you and others like you can be convinced that it is possible to win races and achieve good times without the use of drugs.
    Is your motto "You are guilty until proven innocent".

• 65. At 12:38pm on 21 Aug 2008, Polyglot47 wrote:

• 66. At 12:52pm on 21 Aug 2008, BMACO1981 wrote:

• 67. At 1:03pm on 21 Aug 2008, BMACO1981 wrote:

Great to find a forum for free and open debate. Long live free speech.

• 68. At 1:21pm on 21 Aug 2008, sanquirico wrote:

Rohinf it's very evident that you're extremely passionate about Bolt and as opposed to us 'armchair fans' and couch potatoes who happen not to have visibility of athletes when they are just into puberty (are you Jamaican by any chance?), you have the moral right to judge who chooses to believe whether an athlete is clean or not.

No - I'm afraid to say your logic is twisted. I choose to sit on the fence and be sceptical about drugs in athletics. Because someone claims they are clean is not a reason to believe them (remember Marion Jones)? I don't choose to say Usain is a drug cheat, he's still the fastest human being ever over 200m, up to his eyeballs on dope or not.

• 69. At 1:24pm on 21 Aug 2008, BigBlackBulldog wrote:

Sorry, didn’t know that Jamaicans only ran in Jamaica, and when they do happen to visit foreign countries they are exempted from taking random or compulsory drug test. And of course developed countries like Britain and Germany don’t have drug problems with athletes because they are regularly tested. Even in my old age I live and learn (Shame that others don’t too).

• 70. At 1:31pm on 21 Aug 2008, BigBlackBulldog wrote:

In case anyone is interested. I am British born and bred, with a great passion for fairness

• 71. At 1:34pm on 21 Aug 2008, saintigs wrote:

Pity about the comments from Jacques Rogge about the Bolt's celebration. Does Rogge want to see the fist pumping celebrations where you can see a man's blood vessels on his neck and the aggression on his face? Is Rogge not part of the officialdom which can prove whether an athelete is on drugs or not? What do the official records say? Surely Bolt has been tested over and over again. Maybe the powers that be should make offical announcements about the athletes so as to stop speculation about drugs. For Polyglot47 to say that "In Jamaica there are no anti-dopping controls , which is worst than a wonder drug. They all take steroids at certain seasons of the year. The International Olympic Committe should introduce compulsory tests everywhere and not only in developed countries like Britain , Germany , USA , etc." is very disrespectful and will not draw comment from me. I will not sink that low.

• 72. At 1:36pm on 21 Aug 2008, sanquirico wrote:

BB Bulldog I didn't get any impression you were being unfair. I'm not an expert on the testing and implementation process. Are the national athletics associations obliged to follow the local guidelines as set out by the IOC, or are these rules established nationally only under 'guidelines'?

• 73. At 1:59pm on 21 Aug 2008, funnypowerfulone wrote:

Somebody please get rid of these faceless bureaucrats like Rogge who have the audacity to comment anything on Bolt's incredible achievement.

For once we have a truly great, clean sprinter with natural exuberance and a zest for life who makes us all feel proud.

As for Mr Rogge, go back to your office, stay in your office, and shut up. I'll be outside celebrating with the rest of the crowd with the insanely talented and absolutely brilliant Mr Usain Bolt. Hats off to you and Jamaica. My holiday's booked for next year.

• 74. At 3:26pm on 21 Aug 2008, DJHDJH wrote:

The reason people are generally a bit less sceptical about Bolt is that there is a fairly clear reason why he might just be producing times significantly quicker than anyone else - that being that his stride is over a foot longer than anyone else and that his turnover is still very quick and that he stays relaxed at all times (his attitude has a really positive effect on his running).

• 75. At 3:57pm on 21 Aug 2008, Dawlish wrote:

Roch should go suck a lemon or lighten up..

The games are supposed to be fun not dour and sad..

he should let the fans decide how they feel about Bolt celebration...

• 76. At 4:22pm on 21 Aug 2008, Matt wrote:

sanquirico: since you are happy to admit to not being an expert and leave the drugs comments to the experts.

Thanks to his wins, Bolt will be tested at least twice, probably more. Feel free to be smug if he is guilty, but until then, please be free to abstain from unhelpful insinuation.

Micheal Johnston managed 19.32 12 years ago without drugs, its not so hard to believe that Bolt can do 19.30 without drugs!

Bolts performance in the 200 was inspirational, you could see how much he wanted that record and you could see he was going for it with all he could give. A truely fantastic performance.

• 77. At 5:10pm on 21 Aug 2008, rohinf wrote:

sanquirico (apologies, didn't realise I spelt your name wrong first time), no I'm not Jamaican and in fact I've never even been there. But I do love the breath of fresh air Bolt's Jamaican attitude has brought to the aggressive, testosterone-fuelled world of sprinting. Like the reggae boys at the World Cup...although they were plucky losers.

My comments were not personally directed at you. I watch the Olympics from my couch as well. But the fact I believe Bolt is clean is based on more than just his word. It's based on a decade of performance, a 100% clean drugs testing record and the far more subjective fact that I just don't think he'd do it.

You do.

Fair enough, but all you've got to support your view is your suspicion, which is no more valid than my hunch.

• 78. At 5:18pm on 21 Aug 2008, france2010winner wrote:

Rogge was not so Bol(T)d about the human rights record of the popular democratic republic of CHINA!!!!!
    Typical western hypocrisy,double-faced or typical WASP behavior,or just typical belgian,
    Just shut up Mr Rogge and try to promote an Anti-Drug Programm to avoid RUMOURS RUMOURS

• 79. At 5:18pm on 21 Aug 2008, Polyglot47 wrote:

Well, the face expression after the race of that guy, Bolt , reminds me that of Maradona at the world cup 1994 in the US. His celebration of an argentinean goal was so wierd that he was picked for a dopping test and guess what....he tested positiv!. I'm sure many will recall this incident.

• 80. At 6:37pm on 21 Aug 2008, jollygrandsamster wrote:

Usain Bolt is as far as I'm concerned the man who has restored some of my faith in the integrity of these athletes - until I saw his world class mind boggling feats I could not have cared less about athletics but thanks to his feats and antics he has partially restored some of my faith - the guy is soooooooo ultra cool and the comments made by M. Rogge is exactly why kids get turned off the Olympics as a whole - after all, it seems hypocritical of Rogge to say what he had to say when he and his mates at the IOC introduced BMX into the Olympics in an attempt to attract the kids - Usain Bolt can do a much better job than Rogge can

• 81. At 6:42pm on 21 Aug 2008, JamSamba wrote:

Greetings. Allow me to share a few facts.
    (1) Bolt has had a history of high-level performance since age 14.
    (2) If he were taking drugs then he would not be running today
    (3) If he were still taking drugs he would be dead or a cripple today
    (4) The Jamaica Athletic association does have a drug testing programme but not a national (i.e. in Jamaica) programme. The Jamaican athletes are tested the most, we do not do the analysis here, the samples are sent overseas to a IAAF accredited facility
    (5) The government was delaying in setting up the local testing programme because it will cost us much more to do the testing locally and maintain the rigid quality control.
    (6) Bolt has had long delays in recovering from injuries, also a sign of not using performance enhancing drugs
    (7) We actually love athletics, I don’t know if we can say the same for Mr. Victor Conte.

• 82. At 6:45pm on 21 Aug 2008, JamSamba wrote:

I should also mention that his 100m WR time is not very far from what is projected that Asafa Powell can do when at his best.

• 83. At 7:51pm on 21 Aug 2008, BigBlackBulldog wrote:

Nice one Polyglot47, maybe the IOC could add your method drug testing to their list.

1. Check athletes grin or way of celebrating after winning a gold medal.
    If it’s over the top we can be a 100% certain that he or she is on A class 1 drugs.

• 84. At 8:09pm on 21 Aug 2008, pineapple wrote:

I think Monsueir Rogge needs to take that 12 foot pole out of his butt.

Leave The Bolt alone and let him be himself. It's what athletics needs - somebody to entertain the crowd.

• 85. At 9:00pm on 21 Aug 2008, demshep wrote:

There is a new sense of hope for 'want to be' 100m sprinters who think they are too tall!

Congratulations are in order for Usian Bolt. But there is one thing that we are forgetting that will change the 100m --

Usian has proven the experts wrong on the athletic build of a true 100m runner -- We will now have taller runners entering the shorter sprints and I believe they will do well. Experts, including Usian's coach did not recommend him for the 100m, but discouraged him from it. A lot of other coaches do the same thing to their tall athletes. I forsee the 100m athletes group changing in the near future.

Thanks for leading the way Usian!!

• 86. At 01:44am on 22 Aug 2008, victobberg wrote:

1. Someone was wishing for a time machine to see Bolts vs Johnson. Don't even mention it. Johnson might pull a muscle exactly as he did when challenged by Donovan Bayley and running beind in Toronto. Besides, what's the point? A time machine might take us to the moment when telechynesis is an old olympic sport...

2. I'd be more contemporary and see if Usain Bolt can outrun Osama Bin Lad.

• 87. At 09:55am on 22 Aug 2008, flyingdutchpete wrote:

Jacques Rogge’s condescending comments about Usain Bolt’s outburst of happiness when he won his gold medals is totally out of line for a man in his position. The president of the IOC can of course comment in a general way about the behaviour of athletes if there is a well-founded reason to do so. But to single out an individual athlete, mentioning him by name, and dousing his enthusiasm with the type of sarcasm, not to say cynicism, Mr Rogge has expressed, is completely, totally and utterly unacceptable.

For let’s be clear about this: many of the athletes have behaved even more exuberantly than Usain Bolt. When the American swimmers won their gold medals, their behaviour was a lot more extravagant, displaying an almost Neandertal-like show of invincibility and disdain for their fellow competitors. Their behaviour was a far cry from sportsmanship. And the same can be said for some other countries’ swimmers. As a swimmer I was appalled at this behaviour! And I remember the sharp contrast with Mark Spitz’ behaviour when he won his 7th medal in 1972: he just took in his victory with a smile and courteously accepted the congratulation from his competitor in the lane next to him. Indeed, the winner should be congratulated by his competitors, and not the other way around. Mr Rogge obviously has things back-to-front in his mind.

Perhaps Mr Rogge’s public reaction was driven by his frustration of his country having thus far been unable to earn even one single bronze medal, but then again, a man in his position is expected to show restraint and a real, generally accepted measure of sportsmanship.

With his comments Jacques Rogge does exactly the opposite of what he believes he is trying to achieve and actually undermines sportsman-like behaviour. Along with the doping scandals and the political acrobatics (another questionable aspect of Mr Rogge’s handling of these Olympics, but that’s another story) Mr Rogge’s comments contribute to the seemingly unstoppable erosion of the spirit of the Olympics.

• 88. At 09:56am on 22 Aug 2008, revonja wrote:

Hello everyone!

It is clear that 'lightining bolt' strikes the IOC president. The electrifying speed of Mr. Bolt was so fast that Mr. Rogge didn't see the race but saw bolt wrapping himself in the Jamaican flap and not shaking his opponents hands.

Mr. Rogge is probably under pressure from the mighty Americans who will not win a gold medal in all the short sprints in Beijing. Jamaica has won all of those events.

Mr. Rogge might be thinking himself that Usain Bolt could sprint his way and take his position as IOC "BOSS".

Can you believe that a 21 year old stun the the world and brought shock waves in 9.69 seconds, in billions of hearts around the globe?

This young man his a blessing to the sport of athletics and is showing who he is and can't change himself in 10 seconds.

Usain Bolt, the world salute you. All the very best as we await for more excitement!

• 89. At 09:57am on 22 Aug 2008, themuttsnuts68 wrote:

The races: Unbelievable!
    The person: Big time show off
    Celebrations: Reminds me when England win at football

• 90. At 11:27am on 22 Aug 2008, Lollygell wrote:

First of all, let me say, Big Up To Yard (Jamaica for those of you who are non-Jamaicans).

I have read a lot of forums and as expected a lot of people are questioning the exploits of Usain Bolt and the sudden dominance of Jamaica in the sprints.

Let me educate you non-believers.

First, if you did your research you would realise that Bolt has been breaking records for the longest while. At the age of 14 he was running 21.73 and at 15 he was running 20.5. He would have placed 6th in the Beijing olympics with that time!!!!!!!!! He is the youngest world junior champion, winning the 200 at the age of 15 running against 18 - 19 year old guys!!!!!! As a 16 year old he was running 20.13....that's 4th place in the Olympics. I could go on and on with his list of accomplishments but space wont permit me. Do some research before you start accusing.

Next is Jamaica's sudden prominence in the sprints. History has shown that Jamaica has always produced great sprinters. From 1944 Olympics jamaica has been winning gold medals and breaking world records. Do some research on Arthur Wint, Herb McKinley, George Rhoden, Leslie Laing. Then add to the list Quarrie, Ottey, Miller Raymond Stewart and the list goes on. My theory is that the reason for the sudden dominance in gold medals by Jamaica is that previously a lot of athletes were using drugs and now because of improved drugs testing, the true athletes are starting to dominate. Just look at the decline of the USA in athletics!!!!!!!

I rest my case.

• 91. At 11:47am on 22 Aug 2008, afairplaya wrote:

I can understand most people's frustration and disappointment with Bolt not breaking the 100m world record at his full potential. But I think he did right whether intentionally or otherwise, and I applaud him for this. The benchmark of a good entertainer is to keep your audience coming back for more and that is what he has achieved for the sport. By doing what he did easing up at the finish, he may well have saved track and field which was already struggling from drug scandals and allegations of doping. Now true athletic fans and newly converted will be queing up for tickets to the next athletic meet waiting with child-like anxiety and excitement as the world's fastest man takes to the track. Will he do it again? Can he do it again? I can't wait?

jamaica... wi nice!!!

• 92. At 3:29pm on 22 Aug 2008, suren27 wrote:

I hope London has a new track which will allow Bolt to run even quicker in 2012!

• 93. At 3:43pm on 22 Aug 2008, roberts_ja wrote:

Hey Lollygell (#90)

You missed out on fact that ex-Champions Linford Christie and Donovan Bailey were also born and lived in Jamaica when young before moving to UK and Canada respectively.

However, Can you educate me on the 1944 Olympics - I missed that one as I think most countries were too busy fighting in the War! :)

• 94. At 6:05pm on 22 Aug 2008, Gensportfan wrote:

IT OFFICIAL WHAT THEY SPLIT USIAN BOLT AT FOR IS 200M WR. THE SPLIT COMING OF THE BEND(100M) WAS 9.96 WHICH MAKES THE FINAL 100 EVEN MORE INCREDIBLE AT 9.34. WOW.

I HAVE SPLIT HIM AND ASAFA AT ABOUT 9.2 FOR THE 4x100 RELAY.

• 95. At 12:54pm on 23 Aug 2008, wiggumpi wrote:

Does anyone know the fastest 100m Bolt did in the 200m? Surely it must be somewhere around 9 seconds dead.

• 96. At 9:16pm on 25 Aug 2008, laouane wrote:

stil i wasnt huppy to see the world record of the great Michael Johnson broken like this...we stil dont even know who is this bolt..he just started to run and like this, he is just too talented....til bejing 2008 i was thinking that 19,32s wil stay for ever..but when i saw bolt in 100m, i start a bit wondering..but stil i tough he can run 19,5 til 19,4 maybe as the 200m is his favourit distance....i find it pitty that the great Michael when he run 19,32s it wasnt a perfect race, he stembled at the start and stoped at the finish..because he wasnt runing for the world record as bolt did last time..so 19,2s was possible for Micheal in Atlanta1996..and that wil take more time and work for bolt to break that number and to desearve it.

• 97. At 7:04pm on 26 Aug 2008, alanskillcole wrote:

To those who "we stil dont even know who is this bolt (sic)" perhaps they need to Youtube for:
    Jamaica VMBS Champs, Ashmeade, Lee, Yohan Blake, etc, so that in 2012, they don't say they're ignorant of these rising stars.
    As Johnson is american, the hype is there. We will hear about him.
    To say we don't know Bolt, is more about us than about Bolt.

Whether an american fist pumps, does funny antics before and after a race, we hear nothing. Let a Jamaican not scrape and bow, an the Belgian swoons.
    ==============

Indeed, at sixteen-years-old Bolt had reached times that Johnson did not register until he was twenty and Bolt's 200 m time was superior to Maurice Greene's season's best that year.

• 98. At 7:08pm on 26 Aug 2008, alanskillcole wrote:

Pre-Beijing, was Spitz the G.O.A.T.?

Now the doping tests are getting better, the playing field is levelling out...Grace Jackson and others must wish they were racing in this era.

• 99. At 5:20pm on 27 Aug 2008, laouane wrote:

to alanskillcole, u didnt understand what it means " we stil dont even know who is this bolt", that means he is only 21 and just in the begining of his career ..he stil not won anything that people could know him..the great Michael before he runs 19,32s ,he was runing constantly sub 19s and dominating in so many years ,that everybody knew him, til point that even the olympic organisation did modified the program only for him ,that he can run double 200m and 400m..should we talk about his story of Barcelona 1992? everybody was waiting to see him breaking the world record..but none was expecting something from this little bolt..right before 100m he was not even seen as the favourit...watch this to know something about the great men Michaelhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AurL0NTCuvw

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites