bbc.co.uk Navigation

London 2012 officials have lost the element of surprise for their eight-minute show at the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.

I understand that reports that David Beckham and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and pop star Leona Lewis will take part are correct.

Beckham will appear on the top of one of London's red double-decker buses and kick a football into the crowd when London gets a chance to tell the world what the next Games will be like.

It's been rumoured for some time that Beckham - who in 2005 was in Singapore as part of the bid team when London won the 2012 vote - would take part but London 2012 are disappointed that the news has leaked out more than a week before the ceremony on Sunday August 24 (1300-1600 BST).

beckham438.jpg

Olympic officials will also be concerned that it has not been possible to keep the ceremony secret.

In 2012, the International Olympic Committee will want London to keep more of their surprises for the opening ceremony under tighter guard.

The segment will also feature hundreds of dancers performing ballet and break-dancing routines.

The performers from London urban dance group Zoo Nation, the Royal Ballet and Candoco, a disabled dance company, are already in Beijing rehearsing.

In fact they are staying in my hotel and return back late at night looking pretty tired.
All of them had been told to talk to nobody about the plans for the ceremony, which will be shown in the UK on a network of big screens across the country.

One thing is certain. The London segment will be in stark contrast to the Chinese goodbye. It is also said to contain quite a lot of humour.

London 2012 are not laughing, however, about the fact the world already knows what's coming.

Adrian Warner is BBC London's Olympics correspondent. Our FAQs should answer any questions you have.

Comments

• 1. At 07:16am on 15 Aug 2008, hizento wrote:

What? Ballet and break dance. No surprises here.

• 2. At 07:24am on 15 Aug 2008, Ddraig999 wrote:

Hmm, I read the book but still watcher the movie, knowing the ending didn't spoil it for me. Come on, let's have some news instead.

• 3. At 07:34am on 15 Aug 2008, levdavidovich wrote:

That bus has been taken out of service, causing even more transport problems for Londoners.

Also, is this the same David Beckham who hasn't lived in the UK for ten years?

Also, wasn't break-dancing invented in New York?

• 4. At 07:46am on 15 Aug 2008, keepingfaith wrote:

Just hope our bit is exciting and shows the world that we are vibrant and creative whatever it is. Unlike the 2012 "brand" (2012 London Olympic logo) which is old fashioned and disappointing. Didn't even realise it represented the numbers 2012 until I read the mission statement. Maybe I'm stupid as I needed it explaining to me and as far as I'm concerned if something needs explaining to ya it's just not doing it's job. That is the missed opportunity.

• 5. At 07:47am on 15 Aug 2008, TrickyDickyC wrote:

Adrian, you say that "London 2012 is not laughing because the world already knows what is coming". You are accentuating the problem by publishing this type of information. Is this news-worthy? Why feel the need to gossip to spread the secret further and blow the secret for all those who didn't want to know in advance? Does this not make London 2012 look like more of a laughing stock on the world stage? The Chinese opening ceremony was mind-blowing and the secrecy helped to enhance the spectacle. I just know the opening ceremony for London 2012 will never match up with this and get the games off to a disappointing start - a large part of the problem will be the British media who will be fighting tooth and nail to uncover all the information on the ceremony and publish it all before the games, because they think we want to know and enjoy belittling the organisers. Maybe some of us don't want to know the details and still like to be surprised in life sometimes. Please concentrate on reporting news.

• 6. At 07:51am on 15 Aug 2008, shanghaiexpat wrote:

I personally think its beyond embarrassing that we're presenting David Beckham and the winner of X-factor (X-factor?!!) on the top of a double decker bus at the handover.

After China's amazing display that took us back through thousands of years of their history, the best we can come up with to represent British culture is a dried-up football star?

Come on.

I'm glad the secret's out, now at least I can prepare myself (and my friends/colleagues) for the shame come Sunday the 24th...

• 7. At 08:19am on 15 Aug 2008, leelau wrote:

Why do we have to celebrate pop culture and celebrity culture as landmark symbols of our country and heritage? It is ridiculous and who is making these decisions? Obviously people who do not have an inkling about our history. It may not be 'cool' but some of our military bands and displays are amazing and having asked Chinese people what they think Britain is famous for - they all say 'military (wanting to take over the world). Then there is Shakespeare, regional things like Scottish dancing/Welsh male choirs etc etc- breakdancing? That's American? Beckham on a bus? What is he? Our national symbol of what?

• 8. At 08:30am on 15 Aug 2008, mxb160 wrote:

I cannot believe how negative these comments are! I personally think that the handover will be brilliant, and the Games and Opening ceremony of London even better.

We don't ahve a political agenda to show the world like China does. We don't need to prove that we have an amazing history or that we are world players. The World knows. I don't think we should even consider trying to live up to the ceremony in Beijing in terms of scale. The London Games should be about fun, something the Beijing Games and ceremony was lacking. Leona is a great choice for the handover. Not only is she talented, but she is a normal girl from Hackney who has become a global supstar through her talent. Same with David Beckham.

We know how to put on a good show. Look at the Commonwealth Games, the Queen's Jubilee, Live 8 etc. London should showcase British talent and creativity and should be inspiring. And it will.

• 9. At 08:34am on 15 Aug 2008, iaintsmart wrote:

I for one wouldn't have known if this article hadn't been written... how many other people have the bbc spoiled it for.
    I really dislike the way this article has been written... the tone is 'oh dear the secret is out isn't that terrible' when really all it is doing is spreading it to people who would have otherwise not known, and also to the rest of the world.
    The BBC should have more sense.

• 10. At 08:40am on 15 Aug 2008, levdavidovich wrote:

"Maybe some of us don't want to know the details and still like to be surprised in life sometimes."

Excellent comment.

• 11. At 08:46am on 15 Aug 2008, shakerbluesman wrote:

This is nothing short of a total insult to every great British Olympian.What has David Beckham ever done for the British Olympic effort? He's an over rated never truly great player who tries to get into everything else for one reason only and thats personal promotion.Surely our great Olympic athletes such as Steve Redgrave,Daley Thompson or Sally Gunnell should have been chosen.

• 12. At 08:47am on 15 Aug 2008, levdavidovich wrote:

"We don't have a political agenda to show the world like China does. We don't need to prove that we have an amazing history or that we are world players. The World knows."

True, the world does know - in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. The world does know about Britain's role as a "world player", as a miltary power. I agree that this shouldn't be emphasised - pretend it hasn't happened, con people into thinking Britain is about fun, not invading other countries for oil.

• 13. At 08:49am on 15 Aug 2008, mxb160 wrote:

• 14. At 08:51am on 15 Aug 2008, quiethighflyer wrote:

Remeber, the handover only lasts 8 minutes, so it would be a struggle to condense the whole of British history into that time!!
    Its about creating buzz and excitement for 2012, which I think this will.
    But I agree, why does our tabloid press feel the need to "exclusively" reveal plans and details of events well before they happen?

• 15. At 08:54am on 15 Aug 2008, Shatner's Bassoon wrote:

I thikn it would have been more appropriate to have a parade of former Big Brother winners.

• 16. At 08:57am on 15 Aug 2008, Itsabigcon wrote:

It won't be possible to keep it a secret with BBC journalists like you. Some of us don't read newspapers. I give up! I suspect it will be so PC, we'll need a sick bag.

• 17. At 09:00am on 15 Aug 2008, mxb160 wrote:

Actually levdavidovich, you are right. We would be conning the World. Thank God we have China and Russia in 2014 to showcase to us their history. Although maybe I missed Sarah Brightman singing about the Cultural Revolution at the Opening Ceremony?

• 18. At 09:11am on 15 Aug 2008, hizento wrote:

"mxb160 wrote:
    Oh and maybe instead of representing thousands of years of history like Beijing did we could instead represent the fact that we have democratic elections, freedom of movement, freedom of thought, freedom of the press etc. Perhaps that might just trump Beijing, even if it was a point made by a Fame Academy reject."

• 19. At 09:13am on 15 Aug 2008, cannyeinstein wrote:

Who cares that the secret is out??

This eight miknute side show is nothing but an advertisement for the commericial behemoth that is now the olympics.

I want to see the olympic ceremony in London really be something special, that every Brit can be proud of. But I'm not sure that's going to be the case if we've got Leona Lewis involved. Especially as we have some homegrown talents of REAL calibre.

• 20. At 09:16am on 15 Aug 2008, LondonChris wrote:

mxb160 wrote:
    "Oh and maybe instead of representing thousands of years of history like Beijing did we could instead represent the fact that we have democratic elections, freedom of movement, freedom of thought, freedom of the press etc."

Possibly not in the context you meant, but I totally agree. Currently it sounds like a bunch of small minded finance managers are organising the ceremony. We should take a great concept, like this one, and give it to a professional design company.. someone with artistry, imagination and flair.

The China opening ceremony was great because of the direction, as well as all the people involved. A great director, with a creative presentation and concept, could create something equally spectacular for London.

Lord Coe... get some forward thinking professionals in and let them take care of it!

• 21. At 09:19am on 15 Aug 2008, Blogjob wrote:

Sterotypical British whinging me thinks, looking forward to seeing it.

• 22. At 09:20am on 15 Aug 2008, cannyeinstein wrote:

Hizento, - we have a far better system here than in the far east. If you have a problem with minority voters putting governments in power, get out there with your pamphlets and start bigging up the socialists and getting people to vote.

Thats off the point though-

britain can put on a show in 2012 and will. We know how to throw a party. I just worry our eight minute cameo will be a bit rubbish. But in four years time, I have every confidence all us Brits will do well. I'll certainly be having a good time.

• 23. At 09:24am on 15 Aug 2008, mxb160 wrote:

"Hizento wrote:

So when was Gordon Brown elected by the British public? Even the last general election a minority of the voters actually voted for Labour. What about fat cat MPs giving themselves massive inflation busting pay rise and pensions, second or third homes doing very littleDont forget fule while everyone else struggles? Feedom? What freedom when you get locked up for 42 days without charge. The most number of CCTV in the world and the largest DNA databse of innocent people. Is the Queen elected?"

Well hizento, all I can say is that I'm glad I can log onto this website to see that comment of yours. More than could be said for the majority in China. And if you were in China, I expect that would be your last comment.

But this is off the point.

• 24. At 09:28am on 15 Aug 2008, Carole wrote:

Jeez, the Chinese opening ceremony was amazing, regardless of talk of fakery - IT LOOKED FABULOUS!!!! I look forward to be being proved wrong that 'ours' will be an embarrassing joke!

• 25. At 09:30am on 15 Aug 2008, erab-UK wrote:

London 2012 could be the greatest spectacle in the world and we'd still have a bunch of people like above moaning and bitching...

All I want from the 2012 games is to really inspire more sport in this country and to beccome realy world competitors like in the rowing, cycling and more and more on the track and field.

Fireworks die down in seconds... legacy lasts a life time.

• 26. At 09:34am on 15 Aug 2008, Nick Hannon wrote:

It is not that a secret is leaked, it is media publication that informs the public. In this case though, is it really such a diappointment to have the UK know that Beckham will be on a London Bus? More people may tune in. I won't myself though, it's completely spoiled for me. Not.

• 27. At 09:35am on 15 Aug 2008, DHesketh wrote:

I would hazard a guess that the same people who are moaning and whining about how dismal our handover, opening ceremony, medal tally, closing ceremony, public transport, tourist facilities, stadiums, etc are bound to be are precisely the same people who moaned that the Games shouldn't be coming to London and it will cost too much money. Have cake? Eat it as well? Not possible I'm afraid.

Why don't you all take a time out from Doom Watch for a moment and try being positive for a moment?

Beckham is an iconic Sporting figure recognised the world over, never anything less than fiercely proud to be British, supported our bid in every way he could and is a nice bloke to boot. I am quite certain that we will also find many of our Olympic athletes involved as well, (for all those of you who are crying "Boo", "Shame").

Leona Lewis? Nice girl... pretty... good voice. I would like to think she's maybe not the pinnacle of what we can offer culturally but don't knock the lass for being successful.

Let's face it, we're never going to have the resources that the Chinese have been able to throw at these Games. We can't even yet agree whether the Games coming to London is a good idea or a scandalous waste of tax-payers money. So why don't we wait and see what happens and trust that the London Olympic Committee might have given a bit of thought to this and it might just be OK before we all start condemning it?

Or better still... stop moaning about how rubbish we are and get off your backsides and put some effort into making our Games and our organisation every bit as good as the Chinese?

Personally, I'm going to register as volunteer for London 2012 and I think its going to be fantastic.

• 28. At 09:37am on 15 Aug 2008, lewisrjd wrote:

Good to see that the BBC correspondent is working hard for his wages, what a useful and important news item, I can't wait to share with friends and colleagues.
    Oh, by the way, can you ask Adrian what is happening in the Games???

• 29. At 09:39am on 15 Aug 2008, Castor wrote:

Simple - just make "Integrity" the watchword of the 2012 Games. If we can prove it of course.....

• 30. At 09:43am on 15 Aug 2008, george1979 wrote:

TrickyDickyC (7:47am) can I suggest that you become head of BBC sport great post and one with which I agree 100%.

While we're at it lets use the 8 minutes to show part of our heritage by sticking article author Adrian Warner in the stocks and throw tomatoes at him. Shame on you!!! I had no idea what would happen till you ruined it.

• 31. At 09:43am on 15 Aug 2008, DrDudeface wrote:

I think we chould cancel the olympics and just let people fight in a pub car park for gold medals.

• 32. At 09:43am on 15 Aug 2008, ExPat-Kopite wrote:

Jimmy Page will be there, good enough for me.

• 33. At 09:46am on 15 Aug 2008, thyphoid-mary wrote:

I really enjoyed , and was in awe of the Beijing opening ceremony and well done to them but actually by the end I was left with the thought "only in a totalitarian regime could you produce something like this" and I felt kind of sad for the people even though I know it is a bit patronising. Lets hang on to our democratic, multicultural chaos as long as possible

If that was the equivalent of a no expense spared a church wedding then I think that London should go for the cheaper registry office version. The things I've heard about the closing ceremony do accurately represent modern Britain and London in particular - David Beckham, Leona Lewis, urban dance and Lev's comment no 3 it doesn't matter where something was invented if it becomes part of a culture somewhere else then they can use it. I don't think it's ten years since Beckham left United but so what? You can take the boy out of London but you can't take London out of the boy. Ooh he's gorgeous and his smile will light up the stadium if we can't afford the electricity, or the world runs out.

• 34. At 09:50am on 15 Aug 2008, c_b_fry wrote:

Who is Leona Lewis? Shouldn't that be Denise Lewis? I've heard of her, and she is an athlete, which seems a rather desirable qualification for such an Olympic role. Ah no, I take it back, let's have whoever's won Big Brother recently, I'm sure they'd be jolly good.

• 35. At 09:53am on 15 Aug 2008, paulthebike wrote:

Beckham - a british footballer at the Olympics??? Suppose its the only way they'd get an appearance in - why not a British succesful sportsman or woman - someone who has won Olympic or world medals - or for that matter competed at Olympic or world championship level

• 36. At 09:59am on 15 Aug 2008, LawroLawroLawro wrote:

If you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

These naysayers have awful attitudes. Imagine everyone had the same attitude, what a depresive state we'd be in.

Peace.

• 37. At 10:03am on 15 Aug 2008, LawroLawroLawro wrote:

Beckham is the most famous Britain/person in the world. Like it or not. He's also one of the finest sportsmen we've ever produced and exported.

He also happens to be from East London, precisely where the next Olympics happen to be.

Home town boy come good.

x

• 38. At 10:09am on 15 Aug 2008, U9563463 wrote:

Leona Lewis??!! Can we not an iconic musician instead of a girl who is a passing fad and one who most of the world have never heard of! Come on London, don't start off on the wrong foot - you still have four years to go so we need to start off on a positive note!

• 39. At 10:12am on 15 Aug 2008, aristobulus wrote:

Dr Dudeface has a point - but his pub carpark olympics idea has already been leaked - in every sense of the word. I'm for a simpler and amusing ceremony myself. In that respect using people who resonate with tabloid culture seems ok.

• 40. At 10:15am on 15 Aug 2008, goncalo72 wrote:

CANDOCO is NOT a disabled dance company, it is a company with people of mixed abilities. The difference is that it is not composed exclusively of disabled or non-disabled people.

• 41. At 10:16am on 15 Aug 2008, U9563463 wrote:

I also seem to remember that China's whole emphasis before the games was one that respects its heritage but also looks to the future. I hope London does this as well and really tries to go against the current trend of forgetting our great history.

If all I see is a load of breakdancers and urban hip hop in the next four years then London 2012 will have forgotten its routes. I suggest we have an opening ceremony tracing back our history from pagan times, through the middleages to the Empire to now. The Chinese aren't afraid of their history, so why are we afraid of ours - I'm fed up of the UK trying to bury its past.

• 42. At 10:17am on 15 Aug 2008, Alex wrote:

Why do the media constantly try to spoil things by leaking stuff like this? In whose interest is it to know this information in advance of the closing ceremony? Certainly no the general public. Everyone would have known in a few days when they saw it so why do we need to know early?

I don't care which famous people are in it - I do care about the media in this country and the dutiful BBC who aid these scum time and time again by broadcasting the story to an even wider audience. Thanks for that. I do not read trashy red tops or chav gossip magazines. If it were not for the BBC I would not have known about this!

• 43. At 10:28am on 15 Aug 2008, iswordsius wrote:

What!!! Wayne Rooney has been overlooked or even an emotional John Terry? I agree with previous comments about how the British media will be doing their best to spoil the surprise of London 2012 to sell a few newspapers. Don't China's Olympic budget was more than twice allocated to London - as a result they are going to have to be more creative with their opening and closing ceremonies.

• 44. At 10:29am on 15 Aug 2008, mjhceres wrote:

Thank you for reminding us all that we do have "Freedom of Speech" and "Freedom of the Press" in the UK and though this may spoil people's enjoyment of having a surprise, I'd rather have this then the coercive and restrictive regime that pervades all the glitz and glamour of these games. I did enjoy the Beijing's Opening Ceromony even the mime act and the CGI Fireworks!

I wonder if this webpage is restricted in China? Can anyone in China make a comment on this?

• 45. At 10:30am on 15 Aug 2008, LondonSouth45 wrote:

Well done po-faced BBC. Where's the journalistic merit in what you've done?

• 46. At 10:32am on 15 Aug 2008, Alan wrote:

Oh, Lord. Not politically-correct British Humour, as sanctioned by Labour politicians?

I suppose that Beckham will be the token white, fully-able, male in the show, then?

This is going to be awful.

• 47. At 10:34am on 15 Aug 2008, U9746596 wrote:

So what are we left with? Celebs and talent show winners.

I'm not complaining I just don't think that there is very much that we can be proud of on the international scene these days.

• 48. At 10:39am on 15 Aug 2008, Alan wrote:

Why not just put on a presentation of Gordon Brown's achievements as Chancellor and Prime Minister?

That would leave at least six minutes for the laughter.

• 49. At 10:39am on 15 Aug 2008, Lostboy wrote:

A sad indictment of our "culture" at the moment when we are already planning a closing ceremony including anex-pat has-been and a talent show winner who will be about 2-3 years forgotten by the time we get to the Olympics.

• 50. At 10:41am on 15 Aug 2008, The Realist wrote:

Oh this is great! Talk about spoiling the party!

Why oh why do the media and press always have to give away things?

This is exactly the same kind of thing as hearing "I can't believe Vader is Luke's father!" before actually seeing the movie!

And it wasn't as if I couldn't miss this news is it... Its on the main sports page... in huge writing... with picture!

• 51. At 10:44am on 15 Aug 2008, U9563463 wrote:

'I can't see how we can include a lot of our history in the Olympic ceremonies seeing as all of our greatest "achievements" offend a huge population of the world.'

That is precisely the problem. We are so afraid of our past because we always get told my other that we should be ashamed of it but the Empire did as much good as it did bad. If we want to be confident as a nation we need to embrace it - you can only be confident of something if you know where you came from. Britain's multi-cultural landscape is due to the empire - lets tell the story of how our current situation came to be.

• 52. At 10:46am on 15 Aug 2008, shanghaiexpat wrote:

In response to mjhceres, I'm in China and I can access the BBC and all its blogs no problem.

I'm just glad there's been so much positive response to Beijing's opening ceremony. If any of you had been out here for the years leading up to the Olympics, you too would all appreciate just how much its success has meant to China's population.

• 53. At 10:49am on 15 Aug 2008, bridlington bob wrote:

Sad 'News'..........

I would have hoped the Olympic movement would want to distance itself from the current obsession with celebrity and dumbing-down.

Clearly not !

• 54. At 10:58am on 15 Aug 2008, pwoody99 wrote:

at least the hoodies and knives part of the ceremony hasn't been leaked!

ok, sorry about that! think i've read too many tabloid papers today!

i think the committee will have to surpass themselves to even get close to what the opening ceremony looked like. Maybe more CGI, miming and jedi-mind games in it then!

maybe we'll celebrate all the things that make Britain Great. erm... any ideas? i thought we'd have 4 more years to find something that isn't American or celebrating other cultures. Maybe some pearly kings and queens, cockles, welks and cor-blimey trousers. All the stereotypical cockney things i could think of that us northerners are glad we don't have!

right, off to walk me whippet and put a ferret down my trousers...

• 55. At 11:03am on 15 Aug 2008, LawroLawroLawro wrote:

One fundemental characteristic of British people throughout the ages, is that we do not need to shout out and tell the whole world how great we are. We aren't a new nation of people like Americans or Australians. Or the Chinese who are trying to establish an identity and place in the modern world. Or a nation who bemoans who they are badly thought of by the rest of the world. We created this modern world. We don't have to trumpet how great we are and have been.

The fact is, we are GREAT Britain. We need say no more.

This show isn't for us. It's for the rest of the world. If the world loves beckham and popstars. Let them have them.

We can relax at home safe in the knowledge that we are much, much more than that.

Rule Britannia.

• 56. At 11:23am on 15 Aug 2008, camphor wrote:

getinthebath - don't confuse yourself with "most of the world"

Leona Lewis is from Hackney - rather close to where the olympics will be.

From her Wikipedia biog:

"Her second single, "Bleeding Love", was the biggest-selling single of 2007 in the UK, topped over thirty national singles charts and became a number one single on the first week in France and number one in the United States."

"Her debut album, Spirit, was released in Europe in November 2007, and became the fastest-selling debut album ever in both the United Kingdom and Ireland. Released in North America in April 2008, Spirit debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart and made Lewis the first British solo artist to top the chart with a debut album."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of hers in particular, but you can at least see why she might have been chosen. The same with Beckham - he is from where the olympics will be held and he is known and idolised the world over! Stop this reactionary negativity and think about *why* these choices might have been made for a minute, and you will see they are quite good ones for what will be a very short "teaser" to get the world excited about the London olympics, and shouldn't be confused with what will actually happen at the opening ceremony in 4 years.

• 57. At 11:31am on 15 Aug 2008, rockyhippo wrote:

Kelly Holmes, Steve Redgrave, Mathew Pinscent, all multiple gold winners Tami gray Thompson Won more gold medals than Beckham has won prizes and Beckhams medal tally is? Ballet and break dancing? From a Government that brought you the 2012 logo what more can we expect? China stood proud on it's heritage why can't we. let's show about the Pict's and the celts, Boddecus let's do the knights and yes we gave the world the Industrial revolution let's just remined everyone it was the British that once lead the way our great inventers and intrepid explorers. We should be proud to say this is what we gave you this was our gift to the World the widest spoken laungage the mother of Parliaments. the Irish jig the Scottish reel yes even the Morris men at least they are our own dances BUT THE BALLET AND BREAK DANCE P L EE ASE!

• 58. At 11:37am on 15 Aug 2008, Tuthmoses wrote:

Who is David Beckham?

• 59. At 11:44am on 15 Aug 2008, LawroLawroLawro wrote:

Tuthmoses = Twit

• 60. At 11:48am on 15 Aug 2008, Anderson__8 wrote:

I think the number of complaints about this decision is rediculous. So many people have been saying "but what about this, and what about this, and what about this" ... of course theres a lot of great stuff that could be included... but its only a short segment! Im sure many of these suggestions will be part of the 2012 opening ceremony.

as for beckham, he's one of the most well known sports stars in the world, he's achieved almost everything in European football and you'd be hard pushed to find a more passionate, dedicated England player in the past. Again, sure there are many olympic greats that could be included, but they will be included in the 2012 opening ceremony... involved in much more important activities like carrying the olympic flag and lighting the torch.

the 2012 olympics will be much better if we SUPPORT them rather than ragging on every decision that is made!

i do have to admit though, breakdancing is a fairly poor choice but whatever

• 61. At 11:48am on 15 Aug 2008, Peter wrote:

Ridiculous. Any right-thinking and patriotic Brit knows it should be Gazza and Kerry Katona in a bendy-bus driven by Jade Goody's mum.

• 62. At 11:50am on 15 Aug 2008, robsonrobstar wrote:

There are no secrets let out here, everything is so predictable. You can just see them meeting around a table deciding what to do and making sure they just don't offend anyone...
    "OK, we will need David Beckham and one of those red double decker bus things. Oh and plenty of ethincs - dont miss any of them out! OK and some disabled people. And for God's sake don't upset the Scots or the Welsh - you know what they are like for moaning. And we need to represent our culture so we need some soap stars and reality TV stars please. Oh and just so the posh people don't complain lets throw some ballet in - not much mind. Right Tristram, you go leak it all to the press, that way we find out now who we are offending or who we have left out - better a surprise now than in 2012 eh?"
    Pathetic.

• 63. At 11:52am on 15 Aug 2008, trevrut wrote:

LawrolawroLawro claims we ARE Great Britain!!

Well we certainly used to be! Unfortunately since New Labour came to power we lost the 'Great' part almost immediately (In case it offeneded lesser nations)!! and now after years of political correctness the 'Great British' Team is re-branded with the lame 'team G.B' That way they don't even have to mention the 'Britain' bit either!!

As far as Break dancing is concerned what the HELL has that got to do with OUR heritage. At least the the Chinese were perseptive enough to have 'REAL Scottish Pipers' at the opening ceremony!!Thus probably showing More of OUR heritage in their opening ceremony than we will probably have in ours!! By the time we get to 2012 I despair to think what we will showcase for this 'Once Great' Nation.

By the way what about getting a new pentathalon event for 2012 consisting of: Going on a pub crawl, getting legless as quick as possible, falling over, throwing up and finishing with a fight!! The winner will be the first person to make it to casualty!! Surely we would have a clean sweep of the medals!!!

• 64. At 11:53am on 15 Aug 2008, mxb160 wrote:

I think the breakdancing is a brilliant idea. It will no doubt show a group of very talented young people from London doing something they feel passionate about. Surely this is the message of our Games.

I hope London decides to concentrate on British culture rather than our history. Our history is all very well, but a celebration of the arts, film, fashion, sport, mulitculturalism, architecture etc in Britain would be much more relevant to show to the World

• 65. At 11:53am on 15 Aug 2008, duncann wrote:

shanghaiexpat - David Beckham is the biggest British sports star in Asia and currently the US's top earning sportsman too. He is global. Leona Lewis was the #1 selling female artiste on the planet in 2007 including her fantastic global #1 hit 'Bleeding Love'. There are no bigger British stars, or indeed global ones.

• 66. At 11:53am on 15 Aug 2008, Bluebird Bill wrote:

I wouldn't have known about this unless you had written this blog.

If the hard-working people at LOCOG are disappointed at this leak, does it feel good to have comtributed greatly to the awareness of this by posting it in such a prominent and widely read place?

• 67. At 11:53am on 15 Aug 2008, dudepod45 wrote:

So, the tackiness starts at the Olympic closing ceremony. Is this really the best we can come up with: a pop singer and a has-been footballer? I can't wait for London 2012. And doubtless the BBC, whose contribution to the current Olympics has been apalling, will collude all the way. It's so so depressing...

• 68. At 11:54am on 15 Aug 2008, The Realist wrote:

Tuthmoses

David Beckham is only like the 2nd most famous personality in the entire world known by all soccer fans which coincidently there are more of than people associated to any religeon within the EU.

Add to that that David Beckham is very well known around the fashion concious people of the world, so you could add another 200 million people.

And then there are those who do not follow fashion or soccer but live in soccer dominated countries and so they have also heard of David Beckham.

In total you could argue that 2 Billion people know who David Beckham is, even the people drivwen out of Dafur have heard of this guy.

The only person more well known is Queen Elizabeth II.

Face it... Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan are not, were never and never will be world famous in that kind of scale. There is only one american who comes somewhere, some sort of close.... Mohammed Ali, and even he is quite far away from being as well known. You wouldn't find a african who lives on less $2 a day being aware of american stars, be it their profession is in sports or movies or anything else.

So don't be stupid and play the game.

• 69. At 11:54am on 15 Aug 2008, deleted wrote:

From the country that gave us computers, the internet, vaccinations, the welfare state, the discovery of DNA, the electric motor, the lightbulb, the telephone, television, the steam engine, the industrial revoltion, the Police Service, the flushing toilet, the discovery of gravity, plastic, radar, the sandwich, portland cement, sunglasses, stereo...

And whose inhabitants include Churchill, The Beatles, Sir Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Darwin, Shakespeare, Sir Isaac Newton, Nelson, Shackleton, Captain James Cook, Sir Walter Raleigh, Alan Turing, Stephen Hawking, Emmaline Pankhurst, William Blake, Captain Scott...

We give you a retired footballer (might as well be), a geriatric rocker and the winner of a talent contest two years ago...

Commence loud cheers and pride!

• 70. At 11:55am on 15 Aug 2008, Peter wrote:

Trevrut is really on to something here - the Bingeathlon! Just think of the podium shot!

• 71. At 11:57am on 15 Aug 2008, Pete wrote:

Everyone knows the 2012 opening ceremony is going to be Bruce Forsyth in his Generation Game pose in the middle of the stadium, before assorted winners of Big Brother and Pop Idol are wheeled around the athletics track.

Or something equally as banal.

But then again, it might be good...

• 72. At 11:59am on 15 Aug 2008, The Internet wrote:

oh great, we get some half arsed pop music TV talent show winner, at least David Beckham has achieved something worth his role in 2012

• 73. At 11:59am on 15 Aug 2008, deleted wrote:

Re: comment 71

Good Games, Good Games.

Didn't they go well?

• 74. At 12:11pm on 15 Aug 2008, Bulg72 wrote:

Rockyhippo you clearly don't have a clue about your own country or its heritage so how can you complain about the London 2012 team's ideas.

You think the British gave the world the irish jig! You think it's one of Britain dances! Funny, I had this crazy idea the irish jig came from Ireland.

• 75. At 12:11pm on 15 Aug 2008, Alan wrote:

On the subject of new events that celebrate modern British cultrue, we could introduce the Knockedup Sprint, where teenage girls race to get pregnant and the first one into a council flat gets the gold 'benefits' medal!

2012 will be an opportunity to really demonstrate to the world our modern British culture. It could be subtitled "Death of a Nation".

• 76. At 12:16pm on 15 Aug 2008, U9563463 wrote:

We need a mixture of the new and old. The opening cermony in Sydney promoted this it looked back on the Aborigines and forward.

I don't have a problem with breakdancing as long as the opening ceremony also shows what the world expects from us - regalia, marching bands with bagpipes, the red arrows, how we spread the English launguage to the world (take some notes locog). Of course we will need the obligatory Pop Star - the Aussies had Kyle. Can we not have a tribute to our music heritage as well (the beatles, queen etc...)... how about how we also spread sport around the globe (we invented a hell of a lot - again locog take notes).

There is so much that can be done in 2012 so I hope it does not become a celebratory obsessed show with no depth

• 77. At 12:29pm on 15 Aug 2008, Deeply Dippy wrote:

a footballer when we don't even field a team???

utterly insane

one sure way to make us the laughing stock of the world.

what a disappointment

• 78. At 12:30pm on 15 Aug 2008, saturday_sam wrote:

David Beckham tried to upstage Sir Steven Redgrave at the Commonwealth Games ceremony (the only one not wearing regulation clothing ) and now we have him again.
    Why not have Coco the clown,I am sure he is not doing anything.

• 79. At 12:30pm on 15 Aug 2008, paulthebike wrote:

Beckham may be popular, well known, fashionable - but not as an Olympian nor a world champion - british sport has a long list of those who should be considered before the football team - or is that the history bit coming into play...........

• 80. At 12:33pm on 15 Aug 2008, levdavidovich wrote:

"We don't ahve a political agenda to show the world like China does. We don't need to prove that we have an amazing history or that we are world players. The World knows." That sounds like a threat. Many people in Iraq and Afghanistan know what a threat like that menas.

• 81. At 12:38pm on 15 Aug 2008, U3050625 wrote:

Hang on, ok so everybody's complaining the secrets out...well what do you expect if you publish a news story about it telling everyone?

• 82. At 12:46pm on 15 Aug 2008, flagstaaf wrote:

"but London 2012 are disappointed that the news has leaked out more than a week before the ceremony "

Sorry I'm not buying this faux disappointment.

The news of Beckham's and Lewis's involvement has been known for the best part of two months. As has the participation of the various dance acts. The only new bit of information is the inclusion of Jimmy Page.

Lots of typical British whinging on the blog - we've got a small 8 minute slot in the closing ceremony and the strict template for this going by previous Games is a bit of dance, a bit of a song, some sporting representation and the handing over of the Olympic flag to the mayor of the next city. Our contribution is meant to be a small adjunct to China's closing show, not a competitive response to £400m of fireworks and 7000 synchronised drummers.

As for the sniffy comments about Beckham and Lewis, Beckham remains Britain's most famous global sportsman and was hugely influential in getting us the Games. Even if her music is not your thing, Lewis is a brilliant live singer who has had incredible success globally this year (about the only continent she hasn't had a #1 is Antarctica). Both were brought up close to the 2012 Games site and are positive role models from the local East London community. In many ways they are ideal choices.

• 83. At 12:51pm on 15 Aug 2008, russcoppack wrote:

I'm with a previous contributor...what the hell are the BBC doing making this public? What right have you lot and this Adrian guy have to tell us about these plans? You lot bang on about London 2012 being dissapointed they couldn't keep the plans a secret..well with you gossips and big-mouths around announcing it to the world they haven't got a chance. Your a bunch of lightweights and hipocrits and you should have kept it quiet!

• 84. At 1:19pm on 15 Aug 2008, The Realist wrote:

There is no such thing as secret as secret anymore.

A quick google of all the newspaper website's and I can then probably tell you what Max Mosley's farts smell like.

UPDATE: (Cabbage apparently)

• 85. At 1:29pm on 15 Aug 2008, fair teh middlin wrote:

Can't they produce a computer generated version of George Best instead?

• 86. At 1:30pm on 15 Aug 2008, Wendy_is_here wrote:

The Chinese Opening ceremony was breath taking to say the least. They encapsulated aspects of their 5,000+ years of history, their globally emerging present and a vision of their future.

It's obvious that the London Olympic Committee are focusing on the present. They are trying to illustrate a vibrant and international image. Is this at the expense of our past? Who knows... But it would be a big mistake if they were to completely ignore our past. Granted, we only have 8 minutes to cram everything in...

• 87. At 1:37pm on 15 Aug 2008, fair teh middlin wrote:

Were there any disabled people represented in Bejing's opening ceremony?

• 88. At 1:43pm on 15 Aug 2008, flagstaaf wrote:

Wendy - when we have the best part of two hours to fill in 2012 there'll be plenty of time to focus on the past, present and future.

You can't compare our 8 minute slot to the massive extravagance of a full opening ceremony and the huge Chinese contribution to the closing ceremony of which we're just a tiny part.

• 89. At 2:00pm on 15 Aug 2008, Hilary277 wrote:

I grew up in China now a British citizen living in England.

The grand style of Beijing Olympic opening ceremony was needed by 1.3 billion Chinese because it gave them a conclusion for their hundreds of years of humiliation often at the hands of foreigners, real or perceived, he same as one of my friends who threw a huge wedding party last year after a 2 years successful fight against cancer, and didn't they do a good job?

We have been enjoying a comfortable world leader's position for years, I personally have no problem settling for a registry office wedding for London 2012.

And since when it was wrong to utilise one's strength - in China's case its human resources? Let's make sure London 2012 presents something we re proud of with what we're good at.

• 90. At 2:06pm on 15 Aug 2008, phil wrote:

what would clarkson do?

• 91. At 2:34pm on 15 Aug 2008, DCHeretic wrote:

The London ceremonies certainly cannot be any worse than the shows put on in Atlanta. As an American, I was embarassed by the Atlanta Games.

The graciousness of the Chinese people have made the Beijing Games exceptional. They have warmly welcomed all of the athletes, unlike their Greek counterparts four years ago who relentlessly booed competitors from several nations.

London should not focus on besting the Chinese during the ceremonies, but rather emulating Chinese hospitality. Americans regard the Brits as some of the most polite people in the world, so you already have a good reputation (at least in USA) to work with.

Good luck London 2012!

• 92. At 3:11pm on 15 Aug 2008, word4word wrote:

London is a multicultural city, therefore i would like to see it being reflected in the closing ceremony.

• 93. At 3:54pm on 15 Aug 2008, quiethighflyer wrote:

People talk about wheeling out (whats left of) The Beatles or Queen to showcase our musical heritage, how boring and cliched!! Everyone knows who they are and where they are from.
    The same for Beefeaters and military marching bands, thats the FIRST thing people think off when they hear UK or GB.

We need to show a new, modern, relevant side to Great Britain, of which we have lots of!! Our music, fashion, design, dance etc industries are trend setters and world leaders!!

Its just a shame alot of our fellow Brits have their heads too buried in the Daily Mail and the past to ever notice it....its 2008, not 1908

• 94. At 6:39pm on 15 Aug 2008, DrChupacabra wrote:

I'm surprised the didn't reveal the end of the ceremony: Amy Winehouse will transfer the flame from the Olympic Cauldron at Beijing National Stadium to her crack pipe, which she will keep lit for the next four years until the Olympics arrive in London.

• 95. At 7:03pm on 15 Aug 2008, rgh1066 wrote:

Exciting though the idea of including Scottish and Welsh history is, we should remember that the Olympic Games are awarded to cities - not countries. The London bus is arguably one of the most iconic symbols of our great city, and like him or not, Beckham is the most famous Londoner in the world to the Chinese. It is, therefore, fitting that he represents us at the closing ceremony.
    Whether he'll have any role to play in what I am sure will be the best opening ceremony the world will have ever seen come 2012 is another matter entirely. But why defeatist comments like "We won't be able to compete with Beijing's opening show" are already appearing on this forum is baffling. That's not the spirit London is famous for.

• 96. At 7:44pm on 15 Aug 2008, flagstaaf wrote:

Let's not forget the Aussie 8 minute segment in Atlanta in 1996 had inflatable kangaroos on mountain bikes.

And further to the London 2012 organisers disappointment at the news breaking yesterday, the first major UK newspaper story I've found laying out all the details was on May 25th.

• 97. At 8:39pm on 15 Aug 2008, thefterian wrote:

This is simply not good enough. The use of Leona Lewis and David Beckham is a cheap and easy win and leaves the world knowing little about the world apart from the fact that we glorify a two - bob nothing doing footballer who is actually little more than a moneyed clothes horse having his life dictated by a miserable, talentless woman and that the best of our culture is the idolisation of here today gone tomorrow celebrity wannabes. Granted, Leona is an okay singer, but surely our history, culture and influence on the world runs deeper than that.

Are Beckham and Lewis really unique people and unique to GB or are they part of the homogeneity of the popular Anglo-American culture in the world now. Cliched as it may be, Greece was identified largely at the last games by the timeless theme from Zorba the Greek which as a piece of music spread beyond the boundaries of the here and now (or rather then - 2004), however, it was unique to Greece, and thats what we are going to lack.

If the segment is supposed to express our multiculturalism and our diversity which has been beneficially derived from immigration from overseas and our exploitation of the world through colonialisation, then this is a bit silly. We are telling the world what they already know about themselves rather than what they dont know about us.

In fact what is our culture? This expression of London next weekend and also in four years time will be an education for us all and will give us an opportunity to recognise what we have become and whether we like it or not. I think the British nation is being patronised if it thinks it is best represented by these people.

A commentator is correct in saying that this news was divulged earlier in the summer by the print media. I was kind of hoping that LOCOG might have changed its mind and thought better of it but no.

To Quiethighflyer (no. 93) if you want the segment to represent the UK in 2008, is London and the UK in 2008, really something to boast to the world about?

• 98. At 01:13am on 16 Aug 2008, unitedrickyzz wrote:

i dont see why it shud b beckham wats he ever done rele? i mean some thing rearlly good that stands out, hes known for takin free kicks and married to a pop star wow. give it some one worth while

• 99. At 01:16am on 16 Aug 2008, expatrulebritannia wrote:

I'm in San Francisco and would have had no clue about this but for the BBC - I don't have to see the ridiculous tabloid headlines on the Tube anymore. So thanks for your discretion, Mr. Editor, in making this blog a headline on the main Olympic page (how many people do you think are keeping up with "British" Olympic news via your website?)

It also has to be said that the current blogs do rather underline the British reputation for being a nation of whinge-ers. Perhaps we could somehow incorporate that as a new Olympic sport too?

I suspect that 8 minutes rather limits what can be included in the handover segment - surely the Committee was right to pick people who are the current face of "popular Britain". It would be surprising if some historical references were not included in the actual ceremonies - in four years time.

Given the amount of time and effort going into the planning, it's probably fair to assume that the Committee will have in fact thought about this handover slot quite a bit - let's not assume (as we Brits always do) that it will be a disaster until at least it is. Wouldn't it be refreshing to portray a nation of optimism and public support for once??

• 100. At 1:34pm on 16 Aug 2008, happyboy12345 wrote:

We should have a positive attitude towards the 2012 Olympics.

Deep down we are worried not being able to match the Beijing Olympics. It’s all to do with good preparation work, there are 4 more years to come, be positive. We can do it.

Criticising the Beijing Olympics to boost our confidence reflects our bad attitude, like laughing at the French, the Irish, the Scots…etc. Britain had a glorious past, but not now really. How big is Britain now?The nation is decaying and our mentality and behaviour reflects it.

It’s time to wake up, rebuild London and the UK, improve the public facilities, public transport; re-build the glorious past. Nothing is impossible if we work hard for it.

• 101. At 5:15pm on 16 Aug 2008, quiethighflyer wrote:

To thefterian no.97: Yeah you're right, the UK and London are a decaying mess, where all around you is death and poverty, lets just pull out hosting them now. I'm sure someone like Burma or Sudan could put on a better Games in 2012.

Well everyone is quick to criticise the inclusion of Becks and Leona Lewis, but I haven't seen one decent suggestion of what/who they think should be used to represent the UK in the handover ceremony instead?!?
    People hark on about our glorious past, fine, we'll reanimate Churchill and get him to march on draped in a union jack to the sound of the bagpipes, whilst a squadron of Spitfires perform a flypast.

• 102. At 5:41pm on 16 Aug 2008, Dorothy737 wrote:

Another of Simon Cowells acts who will be appearing are the multi international chart topping group Il Divo along with Russell Watson and Katherine Jenkins who so far have not even got a mention.

• 103. At 7:14pm on 19 Aug 2008, jmckba wrote:

Surely we have to ask Chris Hoy to carry the Olympic torch to London in the light of his historical gold win. This athlete deserves the honour and has earned it. Why allow a non-entity like David Beckham to represent GB when he has done nothing to earn it. Is celebrity more important than effort and achievement at the highest level, or perhaps Beckham has more influence than we realise. He has done nothing of significance apart from court publicity at every opportunity.

• 104. At 2:24pm on 21 Aug 2008, Chauffeurbiker wrote:

Anyone else noticed that Idowu has the same bib number as Kelly Holmes had in Athens! Go for Gold Phillips!!!! 1809 rules!

• 105. At 3:33pm on 22 Aug 2008, parkersx4 wrote:

David Beckham!! The man who has not even lived in the UK for the past 5 years.

Why is this man playing the part of the face of sport for Great Britain. Not wanting to be bitter, but he has never managed to win anything at a national level for this country and should not be given the honour of representing us.

When he moved to LA Galaxy he sold his soul, and lost the respect of his Nations sportsman.

• 106. At 3:48pm on 22 Aug 2008, Inherent wrote:

with all that gunpowder about it might ignight

• 107. At 10:31am on 24 Aug 2008, icegillan wrote:

The moment the BBC turns it's cameras away from true olympians and shows mrs Beckham on screen is the moment the BBC should lose it's rights to broadcast the London games, we as a nation have no integrity left, celebrity will get more airtime than those taking part in the games, what will Beckhams fee be? posh singing at the opening in 2012? shame on those who asked this non entity to be involved or did Beckham ask to be involved? I wouldn't put it past this lecherous manipulator to make the London games into the Beckham games of 2012.

Only in England eh!

• 108. At 00:29am on 26 Aug 2008, fromeast wrote:

I am from China and I am reading the comments here, Thanks for all the good comments Re Olympic Ceremony. I really want to give my best wishes to the London and hope that London will offer us a wonderful game in London in 2012. I used to live in the U.S for 14 years and moved back to China 5 years ago. I had my high school and college in China. You can tell that I was educated in the U.S and grew up in China. Just recently, most of Chinese are very disappointed at western media with all the criticism. But I am sure that most of Western people could realize that mass media is controlled by the political power. I have to say, maybe our Chinese government does that too. But for the past decade, I have seen the changes in this country and more freedom is provided to the people. Citizens in China feel more and more proud of the changes of China, they are claiming more rights and freedom together with the rapid growth of the economic. I still see people here tried to use freedom or democracy against China. But I am also glad to see that not many of friends did buy it. Yes, we never avoid our problems and we do admit that we still have lot problems, there are still a lot issues which are needed to be improved. Feeding 1.3Billion people and created the most developed economic power is not a easy task, with 5000years history, the change can not be happened over night. But there are the truth people should know: 1. In China, Anyone can leave any comments at any popular Chinese website either with registered names or anonymously. 2. Please ask those of your friends who are living in China and let them tell the " True freedom” in China. And how they get spoiled by Chinese hospitality and wonderful freedom live they have in China.
    3. Western media has chosen the part which they really want to public to listen. You were only listening the part of the 'truth' which was picked and manipulated by those mass media just like they did to you for the Iraqi War. Talk about democracy, invading and killing people in other countries is not what Chinese people did. 4. Let’s also talk about Tibet issue. Does anyone know Dalai Lama was never the name of that person? It is the name of Official title with combination of Political and religion power. Together with Banchan Lama (Lama means Monk), Those are the two governor titles were granted by Chinese Central government since Qing Dynasty which was established during16th century, way before Western took over America and Australia. So, Free Tibet??? Please free America and Australia first. Instead of wiping off Local Indians and tribles, Chinese granted local religious leaders as governors. Currently Banchan Lama is the only religious leader in Tibet since Dalai Lama left his home town and looking for his never exist independency. And please confirm all above history with any one of university history professors in your country. Please see more on
    http://www.anti-cnn.com and click those videos.

• 109. At 6:36pm on 26 Aug 2008, ksquare77 wrote:

It is very London to me! Especially the clip, when the punk kid showed up on a pink background saying "This is London". I think the London Olympics is trying to sell from the multi-culture angel with a mixture of new and old hence Leana Lewis and Jimmy Page, well, I had to google Leana Lewis later but my dad was next to me screaming like a 15-year old.

It did well to make the London right there at Bird's Nest which is not easy for the size of it, and you could tell by the double deck, the umbrella, the news reader dancers, it is not Toronto, or LA, but LONDON.

I was more disapointed at the Kick tho, it was lousy. I could do better. But hey Beckham and Posh are probably the 2 most-recognized Brits for Chinese.

I am sure I will miss the 5 kuai (that's 30P) beer at the venue, 50 kuai (3 quids) event tickets in Beijing, but I have no doubt London will rock and keep me entertained like it did.

But enough now, time to start saving for London 2012.

BTW, I finally at the closing realized the London Olympics' logo spelt out 2012. It took me almost 9 months to realize that. :P

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites