Build the ultimate Pink Floyd playlist with Now Playing
Now Playing kicks off Pink Floyd night on 6 Music this Friday, giving you the chance to make a playlist based around their incredible career.
From their early psychedelic output with Syd Barrett to their later, more experimental and progressive work, Pink Floyd are regarded as one of the most innovative group of musicians, ever.
Albums such as The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall regularly top ‘greatest album of all time’ lists and their influence on modern music is almost unrivalled.
Forming in the mid-60s, they found themselves at the vanguard of the prog-rock movement, which swept Britain and the world. Roger Waters’ disagreements with the bands led to a split of sort - though David Gilmour, Richard Wright and Nick Mason did continue to work together under the Floyd moniker until 1996 - before Bob Geldof managed to get the band back together for 20-minutes as they headlined Live 8 in 2005.
This week we want you to make a playlist based around everything Pink Floyd.
• Their own material, from rarities ad album tracks to their finest moments
• Solo work from band members past and present
• Acts they’ve influenced (well where to begin) – David Bowie, U2, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Gorillaz, Mystery Jets etc
• Bands related to their early Joe Boyd produced work – think The Incredible String Band, Fairport Convention, Nick Drake and more
• Bands with amazing live shows – something pioneered by Floyd
You can suggest tracks in the usual way – Facebook, e-mail, Spotify and Twitter or leave a comment on this post (of course on Spotify there is a lack of actual Floyd material - but put it down anyway and we'll know what you mean!!)
If you’re a Floyd fan, make sure you tune in on Friday from 7pm.