BBC BLOGS - Michael Gray
IN ASSOCIATION WITH

All change at Wednesday

Michael Gray | 14:28 UK time, Thursday, 17 December 2009

It's certainly been an eventful week at Sheffield Wednesday. I thought we actually started the game well at Leicester - I was on the bench again - but we conceded early on through Steve Howard and, with the way things have gone recently, you could see the lads' heads dropped.

Over the last few weeks when we've gone a goal down it has felt like there is a mountain to climb and it did again at Leicester. It wasn't too long before we were 2-0 down and that's never a good position to be in at half time away from home. We ended up going down 3-0 and, ultimately, that led to us losing our manager.

Without wanting to sound like a broken record, we need to find a goal from somewhere, whether it goes in off somebody's backside or is a worldy goal from 40 yards. Something freakish needs to happen for us at the moment and it needs to happen sharpish.

After the game we were pretty low in the dressing room. It was not a nice place to be and it's never a nice feeling around the camp when you keep losing games. In any walk of life, if things aren't going well for you then you tend to get a bit down and that's no different in football.

We have got a tight-knit squad and we get on really well together but in the situation we're in you can't help but let heads go down when goals are conceded. In our squad we have some experienced players and some very good players but recently we have just not been getting it right and that's disappointing.

leicesterwednesday_595pa.jpg

Andy King completes a miserable afternoon for Wednesday at the Walkers Stadium

The club announced on Sunday that Brian Laws had left and I actually found out while watching TV. We all got phone calls or text messages from the gaffer that day saying thanks for our contribution in his time with the club and that we'd been a pleasure to work with. My message back to him was exactly the same: 'Thanks for everything you've done for me'.

I truly mean that because he has been absolutely first class with me ever since I walked in the door at Hillsborough.

Knowing the type of person he is, I think Brian would have liked to have come in and said his farewells in person but it was our day off so he didn't get that opportunity. Full credit to him for getting in touch with the players the way that he did though and it just shows you the kind of character that he is.

I hold Brian in the highest regard because he is a gentleman and I know exactly what he has done for our football club. Since coming in, he worked with a very low budget and up until the recent run he has got the best out of everyone at the club. He has been a credit to Sheffield Wednesday and to himself.

Since the weekend I have been lying low with a virus so I haven't actually trained but the club have put Sean McAuley, our academy manager, in charge on a caretaker basis. It's not easy for Sean but he stepped in three years ago when Paul Sturrock left the club and did well, being unbeaten in four games.

Sean probably doesn't relish coming in to do the job in the circumstances we are in but, from what the lads have told me, he has asked the players to give everything for the club and show pride in the way we perform to get us out of the predicament we are in and I think that's the best way to move forward in this situation.

laws_595pa.jpg

Laws took charge at Wednesday in November 2006 after more than nine years at Scunthorpe

We have got to start winning. If we don't we could find ourselves going into the last three or four games of the season needing to win games and we certainly don't want to be in that position. We need to start to climb the table and that's what we'll be looking to do.

Often there is a lift after a change of manager. I don't know why that is but I am certainly hoping it happens for Wednesday and for Sean because I have known him since I was a 15-year-old schoolboy at Manchester United. I have got a very good relationship with Sean and I really hope he does a tremendous job because if Brian cannot be in charge then there's nobody else I would rather see in the job.

Sean has been at the club for a long time now and I fully respect what he does for the kids here and how he goes about his business. He has brought a lot of players from the academy into the first team like Tommy Spurr, Mark Beevers and Sean McAllister. I am sure he will bring the qualities he has from his job as academy manager into the first team.

He is a very passionate person and has a real drive to succeed, so I am sure everyone can get behind him; fans and players alike. We will all rally around and try our best to get those results for Sean and for the football club itself.

On a more positive note I would like to congratulate another one of my teammates from my schoolboy days at Man U. It was great to see Ryan Giggs presented with the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award at the weekend. As a footballer, if you aspire to be like anybody then you have to aspire to be like Ryan Giggs. He's an incredible bloke, a credit to himself, his sport, his family and to Manchester United.

Giggsy was on a great list of people who could have won the award this year. I actually spoke to him beforehand and he really didn't think he would win it. I told him I thought he had every chance because he's respected across the country, not just in Manchester. It is a tremendous name to stay on that trophy over the years, he is a first class sportsman and all I can say is congratulations to him because he fully deserves his accolade.

It was really good to see Jessica Ennis finish in the top three as well. Hosting the event in Sheffield, it was brilliant to see a local girl recognised in that way. She fully deserved it too because she came through adversity with a serious injury last year to come back to win gold at the World Championships so hats off to Jessica too.

Finally, it was exciting to see the announcement of potential World Cup venues announced this week for the England 2018 bid. I was delighted to see both my current club represented by Hillsborough and my hometown club represented by the Stadium of Light.

Both stadiums have fantastic character and would be brilliant venues for the World Cup. There are some brilliant plans to develop Hillsborough and I just hope that the England bid is a success in a year's time because I know we could host an amazing competition for the football world.

Comments

• 1. At 4:07pm on 17 Dec 2009, DombeyBlue wrote:

It is never nice when a Manager gets the sack, but football is all about results.

How do you feel about Jim Magilton becoming your next manager?

• 2. At 4:09pm on 17 Dec 2009, tomefccam wrote:

Decent that Mick

Im happy with it.

New managers, who would you like to see come in? Truthfully, I reckon if you'd say to any player that their team was getting taken over by Mourinho, they would be excited.

Who would excite you?????

I reckon this club at this time could be perfect for your old mate reidy to get his nose back into football, what dya reckon to that hey mich?

Decent i'd think. I think he'd whip a few of the lads a bit too, get them out there competing a bit more for the owl on that jersey. Maybe butt a few knees and chest people about

• 3. At 4:21pm on 17 Dec 2009, grumpyoldman100 wrote:

From the lack of comment you don't seem too bothered about Laaws being sacked. Surely the manager can only do so much, it's the players on the pitch and they have to take some responsibility.

Sounds to me like the players need a kick up the proverbial nad start putting the effort in. If you don't want to play for the shirt then move on.

• 4. At 4:41pm on 17 Dec 2009, Cyril wrote:

Been a Hull fan, i've never been Brian Laws biggest fan. Although I can only respect what he did on the south side of the bridge, especially in his second spell. He went from an overachieving small club, no disrespect to Scunthorpe, to a big underachieving club in Wednesday. Who by all accounts didn't provide him with the best resources.

I was suprised to see him do as well as he did to be honest, I expected him to be the fall of Sheffield Wednesday back into League One, and I personally think he deserved a little bit more time, to turn things back round.

Still I suppose if there ever is a good time to sack someone, it's before the January transfer window. I've heard a few names mentioned including Darren Ferguson, what would you make to Ferguson coming in? I think he'd be great for Wednesday and he was just a victim of his own success at Peterborough.

• 5. At 5:16pm on 17 Dec 2009, thorpeyowl wrote:

Hi Mick,

It's always interesting to hear how players respond to when the gaffer leaves. I think the time was right for Brian to move on - the club needed to change something, and at the end of the day he did sign the majority of the squad (that is now underachieving). We just need to start getting some points on the board, and get all the players working hard for the Wednesday shirt. I think Steve Watson should help to do this!

• 6. At 5:20pm on 17 Dec 2009, STELLA LOVES MILAN wrote:

Good article Micky but I'm going to cut to the chase for once. After last week's debacle and now holding a little trophy for not winning in nine games and no goals scored in over eight hours, I am questioning every player who wears our beloved colours. If this investment comes in in time for January 2010 with a new manager (who has balls of steel) then I would like to see 3/4 of the squad shown the door. With the exception of Grant, Hinds, Tudgay and yourself, it is time to get rid of the trash that play for the Owls. I'm fed up of watching drival and worse of all, having to pay to do so. Players such as JJ, Purse, Jeffers, Clarke - Christ, I could go on. These players are playing a league or two too high. No skill, desire, attitude, will to win - you name it mate and they don't have it. Also, lets sell that oaf Sodje and why the hell we let Woody go to Coventry is beyond me. Strafford amd Laws lost it there and I pray we can get Woody back when the new boss arrives. Lets offer him a new deal and make him captain. Nothing against you Micky but I'm sure you understand..........

• 7. At 5:22pm on 17 Dec 2009, jaydrawmer wrote:

I agree with Cyril - would be good to see darren Ferguson come to Hillsborough. He was very successful at Peterborough and definitely didn't get enough time in the division he got the club to.

Plus who better to draw some advice from but his old man!?

Think he'd excite the fans a bit and what we need is some bums on seats. I hear of potential investment too on the horizon if I am to believe what i've been reading in The Star. 20 million coming in and still allowing Strafford to run the club? All credit if it happens - would be a great boost to potential management too

• 8. At 5:26pm on 17 Dec 2009, jaydrawmer wrote:

Wood went to Coventry because he was demanding 3 x the wage he was on at the time. We just couldn't justify that kind of money at the time.

Agree that Purse was a horrible signing. He just has no match confidence whatsoever. Definitely the main reason behind our defensive frailties I have to say. Can't agree with JJ though - he might be VERY inconsistent but that's the only reason he's not playing in a higher league.

Let's just hope we get a manager in place that can hone JJ into the player he should be and settle our defense. After that, I think the rest will follow suit.

• 9. At 5:37pm on 17 Dec 2009, Owler wrote:

Good blog Michael but I would agree with other posters that the players need to take a long hard look at themselves an ask if they did everything they could for Laws.

6 - New manager or not Wood won't be signing. It doesn't matter who the manager is we offered him the best deal we could and he turned it down. To be honest I'd also put him behind Beevers, Spurr ad Hinds in the list of defenders at Wednesday. Can't remember the last memorable performance he put in for us

• 10. At 5:38pm on 17 Dec 2009, The White Ameobi wrote:

Wait for something freakish to happen to get you out of trouble. Priceless. What a brilliant logic.

• 11. At 6:28pm on 17 Dec 2009, wednesdaymorgs wrote:

Hi Micky, like others I'm going to cut to the chase and not mince my words - but I don't want this to come across as a personal attack, just thought I'd express how I and many other fans are feeling at the moment.

First off, I feel the players need to take more responsibility for the position we are in. Laws has lost his job because you lot haven't done the business on the pitch. At the end of the day, responsibility falls on his shoulders because he's the one who brought you lot in but right now it's the players most of us are annoyed with, not Laws. Nowhere in your above blog is there any degree of culpability shown - saying that we need luck to score a goal, that we have good players but things haven't been going right, etc. Enough with the excuses, performances speak louder than words. It's not losing right now that's the problem. We all took heart from the Donny performance even though we lost, all we are asking for is eleven players giving their all and on this front we're all feeling a little short changed right now.

As for heads dropping, again this comes down to a lack of leadership and character within the squad if you ask me. Again this falls on Laws' shoulders as he obviously failed in assembling a squad with players who when things don't go to plan, take the game by the scruff of the neck and grind a result - at the moment, I fail to see where this character is going to come from.

Right now it's a shame that players can't be sacked as there's a whole bunch of lads who us fans feel aren't doing their job. If the managerial team can get the sack so should the playing staff. I understand there are contractual complications but in my book it's not exactly fair. At the very least I'd have had you all in on Sunday, if not for training, then for a good talking to. Unfortunately, Radio Leicester suggested your lot got a dressing down at half time without coming out with a real reaction second half. You have to ask - what more could Brian have done? In fact, what can a new gaffer do? I understand Brian was trying to keep moral high and bringing you in on Sunday may have damaged it, but if players are asking each other what's going wrong to no avail, maybe it's time for them all to have a look in the mirror and come out against Swansea with a bit of fire in their bellies.

Again I'd like to reiterate that I don't mean this as a personal attack by any means. Hopefully you can take into account the frustration us fans are all feeling whilst at the same time extract the point I'm trying to get across.

On another note, I'm surprised you didn't mention our fans on Saturday. Thought we provided fantastic support, albeit slightly disgruntled at the final whistle when I felt we had every right to voice our opinions.

• 12. At 7:25pm on 17 Dec 2009, wednesdayfan1 wrote:

"Saturday was the first time the lads started asking each other what was going wrong rather than the gaffer."

Perhaps if the lads had started asking earlier what was going wrong rather than the gaffer then the gaffer may still be in a job! If that is serious Micky then I am incredibly disappointed. I thought really that Brian had to go because he looked a beaten man and his decisions on saturday defied belief, especially bringing off JJ. Don't get me wrong Micky you are a fantastic player and you and JJ should start but taking him off was ridiculous because he was our only attacking impetus at the time he was withdrawn.

But back to the point at hand, if you are seriously saying that Saturday was the first time you all started saying "whats happening here then lads?" then that is extremely disappointing for me the question should have been asked weeks ago, after the Reading game at the latest surely when we were not outclassed by any means but still lost 2-0 at home. By saying that Micky it sounds as though up until the Leicester game the players were more than happy to let Brian bear the brunt. Darren Purse coming out and saying you need to take responsibility AFTER Brian has been sacked astounds me, why not come out earlier and say it? Brian was a lovely guy and it seems to me that the players have let him down big time, too many poor performances and not enough of you have come forward and say "forget Brian, it's me and the rest of the team."

I'm a big fan of yours Micky I really am, you're a great player and obviously very modest because Giggsy is a fantastic role model but so are you. Id love to hear your response to my comments.

• 13. At 10:25pm on 17 Dec 2009, MrPtheOwl wrote:

I agree with JayDrawmer, coz he's got cheeky smile, Ferguson would be a good choice cuz but again I don't think that we would be able to attract him at this current time due to resources etc I would lke to see Coppell myself but again resources may be a factor but we'll probably end up with Worthington who'll end up taking us down like Norwich and as for eurobalfowl stating to get rid of 3/4 of the squad bar 4 players which would make our squad one of the lowest in the country with 16 players??? so do you think we could justify getting rid of all but the 4 players you said and then have the money to rebuild a squad in the time that the transfer window is open (12 players wont come cheap)? But lets get Wood back and that'll make everything alright won't it we'll have 5 players then and a captain, we'll definitely stay up then - PLEB

• 14. At 10:34pm on 17 Dec 2009, stowyowl wrote:

it would have been nice to read an honest blog about how none of the players can be bothered playing for the club or for Laws because at the end of the day they still pick up their pay cheque regardless of results so thats all that matters, but i guess that would be asking for too much.

• 15. At 10:49pm on 17 Dec 2009, MediaOverreaction wrote:

Interesting blog. Usually a new manager lifts the players because it breaks the losing mentality that builds up on a bad run and injects fresh positivity. Either that or players are scared for their places.

• 16. At 00:28am on 18 Dec 2009, T Dog wrote:

Im a Leicester fan, and i was wondering if you could shed some light on some things from the game on saturday
    1. Why did Laws take off your most potent attacking player (Johnson) who was worrying us with his pace, and not make any changes to the defence which was responsible for you being so poor?
    2. Why didnt you stick to playing 4-3-3 if it worked so well at doncaster the previous game
    3. Why were you the player that was left up front when Leicester had attacking set pieces, i would have thought a former england left back would be able to help out in defence in those situations.

Cheers and another excellent blog

• 17. At 00:44am on 18 Dec 2009, SAFCforever3773 wrote:

It's been really interesting reading your blog over the last several months, I only wish the facility had been available when you were at our home town club, the mighty Sunderland!!! Would have loved an insight into life there. Wish you success at Wednesday, hope things turn around there soon, best of luck.

• 18. At 07:18am on 18 Dec 2009, Chris Varley wrote:

I'd personally be devestated if Jim Magilton got the job. I once missed 6 games home and away over an 8 year spell (all competitions) and associate him with a bad spell. I didn't rate him as a player and don't rate him as a manager. No way would that be a good swap for Laws, who in my opinion has been very harshly treated. Michael Grays article makes the low budget point. The number of people we've been through makes it more like a Top Gear test. Would you try driving to the moon and back in a £200 car! We can't keep blaming the managers. We've got to get to the stage where we realise and congratulate people for doing a great job on a shoestring. I guess that raises the old question about why we are so cash strapped. Was that the great leadership of the fella that now walks England out every now and again? Up the owls!

• 19. At 11:38am on 18 Dec 2009, Deep-heat wrote:

"Saturday was the first time the lads started asking each other what was going wrong rather than the gaffer. We all know we need to put it right as soon as we can."

I'm not an Owls fan, but if I was the statement above would irritate me massively. After the run of results they've had, how is it that the players only started asking questions of each other on Saturday? There are some experienced heads in that dressing room - what have they been doing?

I'm genuinely interested to know whether professional footballers will actually sit and wait for the manager to tell them where a problem is and what they should do to resolve it? Obviously the gaffer needs to take a lead but I would expect players to take some ownership of their problems as well and be proactive in trying to come up with suggestions and holding each other to account.

Maybe I've mis-read the comment, but would be intereseted to hear what some Wednesday fans think.

• 20. At 12:22pm on 18 Dec 2009, stowyowl wrote:

Michael what do you make of James O'Connor's comments that the team will play to make sure Sean McAuley gets a chance at the full time job? Do you not think it was the teams responsibility to play to try and make sure Laws kept his job?

• 21. At 12:35pm on 18 Dec 2009, Andrew wrote:

And I think if you said that at Hillsborough they'd be taking you on a way way trip to Middlewood Hospital.

• 22. At 1:08pm on 18 Dec 2009, tomefccam wrote:

hey mick, I heard John Mullin chinned you once as a mackem, another scrape with another footballer, was it them or you?

• 23. At 2:48pm on 18 Dec 2009, Milton Keynes Owl wrote:

Hey Michael,
    Bumped into you a ground tour before the Reading match when you were relaxing in the changing room before the match, Thanks for taking time out to chat and the photo.... Most appreciated.
    One thing that struck me whilst walking around "behind the scenes" was the lack of morale in the club at the moment, spoke to Leon, Sean Mac, Darren Potter and James O'Connor and there doesnt seem to be much of a upbeat attitude. Whilst slightly understandable in the midst of a bad run, we really need to up the dressing room spirit!
    In wednesdays case, and pardon me for speaking frankly, players dont become bad ones overnight, they just have "flat spots" in performance. We are in the bottom of the deepest team spirit trough I've experienced in years and someone needs to drag us out!
    You are a classy player in a team that can play classy football, when the motivation is right...lead the line Mikey! Our youngsters will follow your lead! Those of us that follow wednesday all over the country will still be there week in week out cheering you on... Although I nearly lost my voice last week at Leicester in frustration!
    Anyway Keep your chin up fella! I for one (and theres thousands of Owls just like me) am proud to have you at our club, and hope you will be here for years to come! Just go out and do the business for us this weekend against the swans !

• 24. At 3:04pm on 18 Dec 2009, linsladeOwl wrote:

Another good blog.

You guys must have totally forgotten what its like to have supporters going mad in the stands after scoring a goal...... Get someone to edit a video of the play off finals - a few goals against united - waddles freekick. Play it before the game and remember who you guys are playing for and what reaction you are going to get when you turn this round :)

• 25. At 3:05pm on 18 Dec 2009, Phil wrote:

Surely when players heads drop on the field it is the responsibility of the CAPTAIN. His job on the field is to motivate, inspire and lead. Who is Wednesdays captain? He needs a rocket up his backside if he is unable to lead his men.

• 26. At 6:57pm on 18 Dec 2009, lazypool2004 wrote:

it will get worse before it gets better,i feel for the owls i visit there at least 2 a week with work,like cloughie said players get managers the sack,but the manager picks the team,perhaps wednesday are just not good enough.but what do i know im just a footy fan.

• 27. At 01:23am on 19 Dec 2009, vivamexico wrote:

It's a shame that Mark Robins is committed somewhere else. Even so, this is another voice saying that several of the players need to take responsibility for the present situation, and doing something about changing it.

• 28. At 12:45pm on 19 Dec 2009, Greg Hutton wrote:

It's high time for a different and bold approach at Hillsborough that puts the long term interests of the club ahead of the outcome of this particularly sorry season. We all know that a broad and deep purge is needed to rid the club of its lazy and expensive mediocrity - both on and especially off the pitch. This is best achieved by allowing the club to drop a division or two as only the most loyal will stay. The ensuing rebuild will be solid and lasting and end results will outweigh a short term humiliation that true Wednesday fans would be sufficiently strong to bear.

So I'm issuing a direct challenge to the club's leadership: Do you possess the necessary vision and have you got sufficient guts?

Greg

• 29. At 2:24pm on 20 Dec 2009, exiledpolishrover wrote:

Mikey,

You say all the right things and I dont doubt that Brian Laws is a good man.

I know from a PR side you must write what you have above, but surely you dont expect us to swallow it whole?

• 30. At 09:51am on 21 Dec 2009, Milton Keynes Owl wrote:

" But how much does a journeyman player coming to the end of his career actually care? You are unlikely to get a another contract so what does it matter?"

Obviously written by someone who hasn't seen Mr Gray play recently!!

Michael Gray is the epitomy of the "professional" football with several seasons left in him yet!

• 31. At 11:55am on 21 Dec 2009, collie21 wrote:

Without wanting to sound like a broken record, we need to find a goal from somewhere, whether it goes in off somebody's backside or is a worldy goal from 40 yards. Something freakish needs to happen for us at the moment and it needs to happen sharpish"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Or like most other professionals in the world, you could all take responsiblity and do something about it, like actually scoring a goal, instead of waiting for the fates to help you. The fates are not wednesday supporters, so it's up to you guys on the pitch and no one else.

• 32. At 2:15pm on 21 Dec 2009, TimboTimbo wrote:

Good blog, I feel your pain as a Rams fan. We are both clubs who should be doing better than we are with the fantastic support we provide. I fear for you this season however, and has anyone considered Paul Jewell may be in the frame? He was a disaster at Derby.

Always a great atmosphere at Hillsbrough when i've been there, your fans deserve better, especially when the home crowd get going and belt out their renowned "Boing Boing Baggies Baggies, Boing Boing Baggies Baggies". I love it!

• 33. At 6:52pm on 21 Dec 2009, Wandsworth Owl wrote:

Mark Hughes gets my vote

• 34. At 7:43pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 1

No it wasnt a nice feeling to see the gaffer go but in situations like this we just have to knuckle down and be proffessional.

• 35. At 7:47pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 2

All i hope is that the next manager who takes over has the club at heart.
    Im sure every manager who is available will be touted with the job.
    Im sure the chairman will choose the right man.

• 36. At 7:50pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 3

I agree we have to do more than we are at the moment.

When things arent going well the fans will stay with you if you show effort and commitment.
    I love it here and want to do well but confidence is low but we have to battle through this.

• 37. At 7:52pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 4

Darren ferguson would be a great asset to the club and welcomed with open arms im sure, but i will leave those decisions to the Board.

• 38. At 7:55pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 5

Yes watto is working alongside shaun for the time being and is somebody the lads get on very well with.
    Lets hope it works out well for them both.

• 39. At 8:00pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 6

Totally understand your frustration.
    The hardest thing to do for me at the moment is read replys to my blog like this.
    It would be great to come on every week after a good performance and everybody was nice.
    I really hope we can turn this corner as soon as possible and get this club up where it belongs.
    Thanx for your reply.

• 40. At 8:04pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 9

Believe me when i say we are trying everything to try and put this mess behind us.
    Yes our confidence is low and the only people that can change that is ourselves.
    The passion and hard work has to return and i am confident it will.

• 41. At 8:13pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply yo no 11

I am totally with you and agree with what you say.
    Our performances have been awful of late and that has to change.
    We have lost a great manager and also a friend.
    Ofcourse we want to win every game but lately we dont even look like scoring a goal.
    The fans have been great and are sticking by us through this tough time and we want to win as much for the fans than we do for ourselves.
    Over the next few weeks things are going to change for us through hard work and fighting to wear the blue and white shirt.

• 42. At 8:23pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 12

Im understanding your frustration and have to agree with you.
    In situations like this we all have to stick together.
    The manager changing the team just before halftime has nothing to do with me so i have no control over that. If performances are low and he wants to change the team then thats his decision.

When i say we had a chat between ourselves its because we care and want to put thing right. I was brought up to listn to what my manager had to say and take it on the chin good or bad.

Yes the players have to look at ourselves because the performances have been so below par.
    The fans are feeling short changed and thats the last thing that should be happening. If im right i think you would take a defeat as long as you see some passion. We havnt been giving you that and it has to change.

• 43. At 8:30pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 16

Thanx for replying.

Firstly, Its not my decision who the manager plays and substitutes but we were two nil down and something had to change.

If we had taken our defenders off then we wouldnt have been able to change our attack so the manager thought otherwise.
    I was left up for corners as we needed a bit of height in the penalty area.

• 44. At 8:30pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 17

thankyou and keep logging in.

• 45. At 8:40pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply mto no 19

The lads have been looking for answers for a while now and its not nice to keep coming in the dressing room either at half time or full time knowing you have lost again.
    The manager has fifteen minutes to get his point across at half time so we listn to what he says.
    Full time is much the same. If he asks you a question then ofcourse you answer it.
    But we got to the point where we needed to ask questions of eachother.
    I hope you understand where i am coming from.

• 46. At 8:44pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 20

James is an experienced player who is well respected at the club.
    He is not disrespecting brian laws in any way. Shaun has taken over in a difficult time and i think james is saying lets all get behind shaun and give him everything we have got.

• 47. At 8:46pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 22

Never heard that one before.
    John is a good mate of mine and that never happend.

• 48. At 8:50pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 23

thanx for your comments and i will take them on board.
    I always try and put a smile on the lads faces so lets hope i can do it this week and have everybody smiling after a win on boxing day.

• 49. At 8:56pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 29

I care as much as the next man.
    This is a great club and i love playing here.
    At the moment things arent going well but it istnt just down to me.
    I give everything i have when i play, always have and always will.
    Yes confidence is low as is mine but i will always give my all.

• 50. At 8:58pm on 21 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 30

Thankyou for your comments.

Really appreciated in these tough times.

We will put this right.

• 51. At 12:00pm on 22 Dec 2009, stowyowl wrote:

Some good replies their Michael

• 52. At 3:29pm on 22 Dec 2009, TimboTimbo wrote:

Never replied to mine.

• 53. At 5:16pm on 22 Dec 2009, wednesdayfan1 wrote:

Hi Michael,

First of all thank you for taking the time to respond to my comment. I understand why you had a chat amongst yourselves I just really meant that it would have been more comforting if you had said we had spoken amongst ourselves after say the Reading game, for me doing it after the Leicester game was a case of too little too late. I really don't want you to think I am lambasting you, I have a lot of time for you and you are always very dignified in your responses.

We are all frustrated there is no doubt about that we arent seeing the Sheffield Wednesday that we were seeing at the start of the season. Must admit was shocked to not see you play any part on Saturday, the decision to have Tudgay and Varney as wingers was another questionable decision and after that happened we fell completely flat.

Again thank you for responding and I do get the feeling from your comments that you genuinely care and it hurts you as much as the fans, Im not sure I can say that about the whole side only they can say that. It is nice, however, to have someone like you who I respect a great deal to show that you care and not get angry with us when we direct our frustrations at you, instead you have answered honestly and with a great amount of dignity. I wish you all and the side all the best I desperately want us to put it right I love the club and it saddens to me to see us in the state we are in.

• 54. At 7:14pm on 22 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 53

Thankyou for replying again.

I didnt play at the weekend as i had a bit of a strain and was feeling under the weather.
    We had a very hard training session today wich is exactly what we needed. Out of the snow and inside the gym.
    Shaun and watto are getting their point across to the players in the right way and lets hope we can respond to what they are putting in front of us on saturday.
    Again, I cant go round every single fan and tell them everything is going to be ok but believe me i will be trying my socks off if selected against newcastle.
    Lets all stick together and get this great club up this league.

• 55. At 7:16pm on 22 Dec 2009, Michael Gray wrote:

reply to no 52

I will reply if your response makes sense.

Paul jewell?????? do we really think that will happen?

• 56. At 02:50am on 23 Dec 2009, NZOWL wrote:

Cheers Michael, another great blog and set of responses. I think 'TtevertheClever' maybe getting his teams mixed up. TClever, West Bromwich Albion play at Hawthorns not Hillsborough, and its there fans that sing boing boing baggies. Easy mistake to make i suppose for a rams fan.
    However, getting to the point.... when wednesday have struggled in the league in the past its normally because we've got off to a bad start - were kind of reknowned for them (excluding 1996/97). However this season we started ok and have slowly lost our way. Can't really think of one major thing that could have caused the slump, Wood going and all the behind the scenes contract negotations must have impacted upon the squad espeacilly losing such an influential player. Also do you think all the off field investment speculation has distracted the players at all? Anyway im sure we have the class in our team to push on the table.

• 57. At 12:22pm on 23 Dec 2009, wednesdayfan1 wrote:

I dont doubt that for a second Micky, good luck on saturday mate

• 58. At 3:46pm on 23 Dec 2009, Nick wrote:

Hi Micky - just wanted to say great blog, read it every week. Im an owls fan, london based, so don't get to see the boys that much these days but usually make a few home and away games each season. Obviously we're on a bit of a bad run at the moment but I genuinely think we can turn it around - I don't think we're the best team in the league by a long stretch but we do have a bit of quality in the squad and I think overall a good mix of youth and experience. In this league there is a very fine line between the teams at the top and the ones at the bottom, and 3 or 4 wins in a row can shoot you up several places. We've got half a season left yet so hopefully no-one is panicking just yet and hopefully if the lads can just do the simple things right we'll start to pick up a few points. Anyways just wanted to say thanks for the effort - always good to see your name on the team sheet! and looking forward to a big team effort against the toon on boxing day

Thanks

Nick

More from this blog...

Topical posts on this blog