BBC BLOGS - Leigh Griffiths

Dundee remembers late club legend Bobby Cox

Leigh Griffiths | 17:13 UK time, Tuesday, 23 February 2010

To say it's been a mixed week at the club is putting it mildly.

There have been some good moments, which I'll come to later on.

But most of it was overshadowed by the death of a Dundee FC legend, Bobby Cox, who captained the club to the Scottish League title in 1962.

I knew he had been ill, but didn't know he had passed away until I arrived at the stadium for Saturday's game against Partick Thistle.

Bobby Cox
It went without saying that we would honour his memory, so we had a minute's applause in front of the home end at Dens - which is named the Bobby Cox Stand after the great man.

I knew he was a famous name for the Dark Blues, but when the stadium announcer read out his achievements and how many times he played for the club - well over 400 - it really hit home what a legend he was.

It was so impressive how many people actually turned up at the game. The Bobby Cox Stand was practically full.

And to see all those people stand and applaud out of respect for Bobby was incredible. The crowd never stopped chanting his name throughout the 90 minutes.

In the dressing room, when we found out about his death, we decided we wanted to win the game for him.

It was a fitting tribute that we managed to do that, and that the goal we scored was in front of the Bobby Cox Stand - and it was our full-back and skipper Eric Paton who scored it.

Hopefully Bobby was up there looking down, and I'm sure he would have been delighted we got the victory.

We know there's still a long way to go, but if we do eventually win the First Division title, we'll dedicate it to him.

As for the game itself, it was a scrappy affair. We dominated the first half and Partick had the better of the second period.

But big Rab Douglas never had a save to make, so that tells you how well our defence played.

We should have scored a couple more, but you'll take 1-0 victories every week if it's going to take you to the title.

Personally, I was pretty disappointed with my performance. I didn't get a shot on target. In fact, I don't think I even managed a single shot, never mind on target!

I set myself high standards and go out aiming to score in every game, and if I don't I can become a bit frustrated.

But the manager Jocky Scott spoke to me this morning and told me it wasn't all about scoring goals, and said he was pleased with my overall contribution to the team.

So if he's saying that, then I'll accept it.

But I'll try and make sure if I get a chance on Saturday against Raith Rovers, I take it.

We've taken four points out of six against them this season but they'll be on a high after beating Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup last week.

So clearly we'll need to be alert as they have proven they can beat anybody on their day.

They are strong in the wide areas, and up front where they have Kevin Smith.

I know well him well and he's played with Sunderland and Dundee United.

He's back to full fitness after a leg-break and has been flying. Hopefully, though, he has an off-day against us!

I said earlier there were some good things last week.

One of them has to do with a letter I got through the door to say I'd been selected for Billy Stark's Scotland Under-21s squad against Azerbaijan.

It's an honour to represent your country at any level and I'll just go along to the squad meeting and see if I can get in the team.

There's a lot of really good players from the SPL competing for the forward positions in the shape of David Goodwillie, Jamie Murphy, Chris Maguire and Rory Loy.

So if I can get a game I'll be delighted, but if not - all the best to whoever does play.

The other good news we got at the club was that big Jim Lauchlan and his wife Susan had a baby.

So he's been coming in every morning raving about wee baby Marcus.

Normally Lauchie's a real character who comes in for training shouting and bawling.

Maybe the baby is keeping him up at night or something, but he's been quite quiet recently...

So, welcome baby Marcus - and thanks for giving all the boys here some welcome relief from your dad!

As you can see it's been a week of real highs and lows.

On Friday the whole squad will go to Bobby Cox's funeral, before making sure we're ready for Saturday's trip to Kirkcaldy.

Comments

• 1. At 10:17pm on 23 Feb 2010, natalie wrote:

well done leigh great blog again keep it up mate

• 2. At 1:41pm on 24 Feb 2010, DareToDream wrote:

Great reading once again Leigh. Dont worry about not scoring, as long as someone else is scoring and we're winning then that's all that matters!

Fitting tribute that the whole squad are going to the funeral on Friday.

RIP Bobby - Gone but never forgotten!

• 3. At 2:29pm on 24 Feb 2010, buistyboy wrote:

A nice touch that your second blog makes a significant reference to the late Bobby Cox. For a relative newcomer to the dark blue, your respect for the man is appreciated by all the fans i am sure.

Good luck again for Saturday. Lets get a winning run going to strengthen our position as league leaders...

• 4. At 3:48pm on 24 Feb 2010, Esposito wrote:

• 5. At 6:13pm on 24 Feb 2010, Rab Cluvell wrote:

Good second blog. I met Bobby Cox when he helped out at Dens in the hospitality. You could see that he took great pride in just wearing the club blazer. By all accounts he was also a very talented and tough defender who missed out on a full cap only because he played at the same time as the great Eric Caldow. Somehow though, I don't think that he would have swapped his championship medal for any number of caps.

Good luck against Raith. I shall be there hoping for any kind of win. A boring, drab 1-0 victory will do just fine. At this stage its all about gathering points.

Finally, congrats to Jim Lauch. (Is he no' getting too old for that sort of thing?)

• 6. At 6:52pm on 24 Feb 2010, LiverpoolDundeeSouthamptonMad wrote:

Great blog again Leigh. It shows you really care about the club and its supporters to mention bobby cox in such high esteem.

Keep up the great work Leigh. You'll be scotland's number one striker in no time at all!

• 7. At 8:18pm on 24 Feb 2010, robert air wrote:

hey leigh so happy for you that you are doin so well for yourself always new you would make it my freinds and me are devasted hibs missed out there loss big time hope to see you there 1 day in green and white ofcourse !! take care pal keep doin what your doin your mum and dad must be so proud of you

• 8. At 9:14pm on 24 Feb 2010, natalie wrote:

Your mum and dad must be so proud of you and dont worry about the goal thing just keep it up plz

• 9. At 1:30pm on 25 Feb 2010, Bad Haircut wrote:

You are and always will be a Dundee Legend

• 10. At 6:59pm on 25 Feb 2010, Alastair Graham wrote:

It was ultimately fitting that Dundee won the game on Saturday after the death of one of their football legends. However, I'm not sure if Leigh's perceived bias view of the game was a true reflection of the onfield play.

• 11. At 02:04am on 27 Feb 2010, DBsPA wrote:

• 12. At 10:50am on 28 Feb 2010, Doug wrote:

No matter how we get the points as long as we get them. Good to see we can only lose the title now after Saturday 27th results. I,m sure you have a few goals left in you but remember to save some for the Premier league. Bobby's legacy will always be in the hearts of true fans.

• 13. At 10:08pm on 08 Mar 2010, LIviLad wrote:

well done to Leigh he has had a great couple of seasons in the first division and i hope he goes onto win the division one title with dundee

• 14. At 10:11pm on 08 Mar 2010, LIviLad wrote:

well done to Leigh he has had a great couple of seasons and i wish him all the best and hopes he goes onto win the title with dundee

• 15. At 1:47pm on 10 Mar 2010, noonooman wrote:

Keep it going Leigh,some of the boys werte saying it may be the pitch thats contributed to the drop in form at home,its seems like we can't get out of second gear ,and the tempo of the games has dropped.Luckily were still picking up some points and the chasing pack are faltering,and Bobby we will miss you.

More from this blog...