BBC BLOGS - Leigh Griffiths
Main | Next »

I'm aiming to fire Dundee into the SPL

Leigh Griffiths | 19:42 UK time, Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Hi, I'm Leigh Griffiths and since the start of the season I've been playing up front for Dundee.

From now until the end of May I hope to give you an insight into life at Dens Park as we try to get back into the Scottish Premier League.

But first, for those who don't know me... I'm 19 and come from Leith. As an 11-year-old I joined the team I supported - Hibs.

Then, after a stint at Falkirk, I was eventually picked up by Livingston, where I broke into the first team before making the move to Tayside.

In the meantime, I've also managed to win caps for Scotland at Under-21 and B levels.

Life in Dundee is good now. We're at the top of the First Division and on track to achieve our goal of getting into the top flight.Dundee striker Leigh Griffiths

But moving here has been a new experience for me, not least because I've had to move away from my family home for the first time.

At Livi it was close enough to commute every day, and when I signed at Dens I was still coming through daily from Edinburgh with my team-mates Eddie Malone and Pat Clarke.

But after a while the travelling began to take its toll. So now I'm living up here by myself, which is good because it cuts nearly four hours' travelling out of the day.

Sometimes you can get a bit bored in a flat by yourself but you've just got to deal with it.

Most weekends I'll get home to see my family and some of my pals too, so it's not too bad.

Anyway, the main reason I came here was because Dundee is a big club and I saw we were building a squad that would challenge for the league.

We're doing well just now but obviously we've got to keep the momentum going. Other teams have got games in hand, but if we keep picking up three points then we'll get over the finishing line first.

All the boys were hoping to add another win last Saturday away to Ayr United, after we had beaten them in the Scottish Cup the week before.

We all had our fingers crossed the match would be on, and when we saw Ayr Races were cancelled we had an idea our game would be postponed too.

Everybody wants a game on a Saturday and I'm no different: it's what you train for all week.

But, all the same, when you get a rare weekend off it feels like a bit of a Brucie Bonus. So we went off and enjoyed it.

I got the chance to catch up with some of my friends back home, and for a change I could go to watch my brother playing for Musselburgh Athletic.

I also kept an eye on the other games being played in our league, and thankfully results for two of the teams challenging us for the title - Queen of the South and Ross County - went our way.

But although it's nice to get a Saturday off we're back at Dens Park to knuckle down and concentrate on our next game against Partick Thistle on Saturday.

We've done well against them so far, winning both games 2-0. I scored in the first game but missed the second through illness.

We know any game in this league is going to be hard and, especially after we beat them in Glasgow in December, Thistle will want to prove themselves up here and turn us over.

About the same time I joined from Livi, Gary Harkins arrived from Thistle, and he scored in both games against his old team.

Having a player who knows the other team so well is going to help to a certain extent.

But we've still got to be professional, prepare the right way, and make sure we don't slip up.

Comments

• 1. At 10:32am on 17 Feb 2010, Roberto calico wrote:

Welcome Leigh

Can you tell us when you'll be moving to the big team in Dundee ?

• 2. At 10:47am on 17 Feb 2010, Bob Mccormick wrote:

LG you are a Dee legend already mate the wee team across the road couldn’t afford you. ;-)

• 3. At 11:23am on 17 Feb 2010, GCChristie wrote:

Brilliant, A Dee on the BBC!
    Should be fun reading about life inside the changing rooms.
    Hopefully we can get promotion this year and then you can get to play against your boyhood heros,the Hibees! Have you ever played against them?
    What do you think of the score last night and our chances against Raith in the next round?

• 4. At 11:25am on 17 Feb 2010, DareToDream wrote:

Great reading there Sparky.

Hopefully you can fire us up to the league where we belong and fire us into a trip to Hampden! Would love to face United there but lets face it they aren't going to beat Rangers or St Mirren away!

Leigh Griffiths the quickest Dundee legend ever...

C'mon Dundee!

• 5. At 11:43am on 17 Feb 2010, RossDFC wrote:

Great blog Leigh can't wait to hear more in the coming weeks!

Well it was 1910 the last time the Dees won the Scottish Cup...100 years on, can we do it? :-)

• 6. At 1:46pm on 17 Feb 2010, lividee22 wrote:

Looking forward to your insight into the run in. Good Luck Leigh and keep banging them in!

• 7. At 2:16pm on 17 Feb 2010, BigKjell wrote:

Very decent prospect but I wouldn't swap him for Goodwillie. Kenny Deuchar was prolific in division 1...I say no more.

Actually I do, wait 'til he scores a few in the SPL (at least) before you call him a "Dees Legend"...surely!

• 8. At 3:31pm on 17 Feb 2010, dodzer wrote:

• 9. At 4:05pm on 17 Feb 2010, calum brodie wrote:

emm i know the dee have said this before but in your dreams if leigh moves to the small team across the road then we will just keep on dreaming of getting into the SPL wont we?

• 10. At 4:46pm on 17 Feb 2010, abracadarab wrote:

Leigh your a decent player but who would you keep out of the present United team. You see what our on loan players can do in the first division.

Next year will be a big test for you, still in the first and the dee boo boys at your back . . . .

• 11. At 5:07pm on 17 Feb 2010, buistyboy wrote:

Hi Leigh

Great to see a dee putting a blog on here, and I look forward to reading your insights.
    Regarding the talk of promotion to the spl, my only concern is that the squad becomes too complacent. We had a good lead in the league but that has been whittled away after poor results at home to Airdrie amongst others, while the chasing teams have started picking up points with their games in hand. Inverness could yet prove to be dangerous in my opinion, and no game should be taken for granted. There is no doubt the team including yourself has the ability to get us back into the SPL, but we need a winning run again to get us in a stronger position. The best of luck to all the team for the remainder of the season sparky...

• 12. At 6:25pm on 17 Feb 2010, Bob Mccormick wrote:

Must be quite a compliment to you LG that the East Angus faithful from across the raod are taking the time and trouble to post comments on your blog..You can just about taste the envy.

Donkey Goodwillie lol

• 13. At 6:54pm on 17 Feb 2010, buistyboy wrote:

I for one, would not swap Leigh for any current Dundee Utd player. I dont think Leigh needs any further motivation, but if he did, hopefully the prospect of having the opportunity to win us a derby game against united will help him ensure we are in the spl next season so he can do so.

• 14. At 7:24pm on 17 Feb 2010, Shug wrote:

Hi Leigh,

What are you having for your tea tonight?

• 15. At 8:20pm on 17 Feb 2010, Nicola wrote:

Don't know why wee man but this makes me laugh everytime i read it ha. I've gotta love you for what you have done to my team though, providing all them goals. We all have your fingers crossed for the Golden Boot sparky, hope you get it! Well no doubt see you in the next few days wee man. Hope we win on Saturday, need something to cheer me up these days haha.

• 16. At 8:59pm on 17 Feb 2010, Wiggyfella wrote:

Great to read a Dee blog, Leigh. Interesting insight.

Looking forward to another sustained winning run for the team.

All the best for the rest of the season.

• 17. At 9:49pm on 17 Feb 2010, derry1893 wrote:

arite leigh good to read ur blog,good luck for saturday we need to start winning games again and a win on sat would give us a boost.And its good to see the arabs on they must have nothing better to do with there time than read about us.A little point on the raith game next month i think we should lower the prices for the game to get a big crowd in to help us try to get to hampden say 10 quid for adults 5 quid oaps etc anyone eles agree. mon the dees

• 18. At 00:59am on 18 Feb 2010, shedboy martin wrote:

• 19. At 06:52am on 18 Feb 2010, Bob Mccormick wrote:

I think lower prices for this fixture is in order, against Ayr it was £17 and I think it had an impact on the crowd, however it's no a thing LG could do anything about.

• 20. At 09:30am on 18 Feb 2010, petem78 wrote:

Hi

I notice that you were once at Falkirk, can you tell us why you ended up moving to Livi?

As a Falkirk supporter I find it disappointing that we have let a player with real talent slip through our fingers.

thanks

• 21. At 12:29pm on 18 Feb 2010, Arabgrayser wrote:

He's no a bonnie loon is he! I did laugh at that comment about 'not swapping Leigh for any Dundee United player'. Hilarious! He wouldn't get into our side at the moment.

• 22. At 1:00pm on 18 Feb 2010, Bob Mccormick wrote:

• 23. At 3:16pm on 18 Feb 2010, abracadarab wrote:

• 24. At 6:29pm on 18 Feb 2010, Bob Mccormick wrote:

• 25. At 7:03pm on 18 Feb 2010, Rob Marrs wrote:

Nice blog, Leigh - keep up the good work. Can't be too long before a full cap comes along.

RCM

• 26. At 11:18am on 19 Feb 2010, CallumAUFC wrote:

• 27. At 3:32pm on 19 Feb 2010, RyanAFCT wrote:

With all due respect, I wish you the very worst of luck and we (Caley) take it on the final day. ;)

• 28. At 3:37pm on 19 Feb 2010, RyanAFCT wrote:

--------

You forgot to include Caley in that last bit. Check the table.

• 29. At 4:49pm on 19 Feb 2010, Harry Garkins - DFC wrote:

Looking forward to reading your blog LG and hope your still with us next year in the SPL. Got to laugh at the Arabs comments on here, you'd walk into their team but why would you want to go anywhere near those East Angusers, they're still glory hunting from the 70's. There's only one team in Dundee, always was, always will be.

• 30. At 5:34pm on 19 Feb 2010, Bradley B wrote:

So who's the joker in the dressing room?

• 31. At 02:45am on 20 Feb 2010, Rab Cluvell wrote:

Well done Leigh. Good start to your blog. I'm interested to know what emphasis Jocky puts on training at Dens. A pro pootballer spends maybe 5% of his time playing in competitive games in the league and cups while the rest of his time is spent on the training pitch. Is the training better at Dens than Livi? Is it more specialised? Is it more useful when its more varied or more repetitive? I remember Becks (think it was him) getting asked about a 'lucky' free-kick from which he had scored the winning goal for Man Utd .... 'Yeah, lucky. Funny that, the more I practice the luckier I seem to get.' It later came out that Becks spent something like an extra hour every day just hitting angled balls into net from 30 yards or so. Good luck against Partick. We might need it.

• 32. At 06:28am on 20 Feb 2010, The Dee Slayer wrote:

Hail hail, The Dee Slayer is here!

"Looking forward to your insight into the run in" - as am I...it's gonna be comical.

"Great reading there Sparky" - No it isn't, it's a blog for the sake of a blog. Much like htis is a post for the sake of a post.

"Brilliant, A Dee on the BBC!" - It's not brilliant. Dees shouldn't be allowed an audience anywhere, never mind on a government funded communications medium.

Dundee will fluff the league. They'll also struggle against Raith in the cup. How hard i will laugh when Dundee crumble, again, and their long-suffering support realise that all the money in a converted Don's pocket can't buy a Mickey Mouse outfit like Dundee, the joke club of the SFL, out of the depths of the first divison.

Just remember lads, it's only a game.

• 33. At 3:17pm on 20 Feb 2010, Jonathan wrote:

when uz get promoted ur team will go stright back down again

• 34. At 8:20pm on 20 Feb 2010, brucie wrote:

AS A HUGE LIVI FAN ,I WAS SAD TO SEE YOU LEAVE, I THOUGHT YOU WERE GREAT TO WATCH PLAYING FOR LIVI, AND MY TWO WEE BOYS LOVED WATCHING YOU PLAY TO,ALL I CAN SAY LEIGH IS I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN YOUR FOOTBALL CAREER WHETHER ITS AT DUNDEE OR ANYWHERE ELSE ALL THE BEST!!!

• 35. At 9:37pm on 20 Feb 2010, Paul wrote:

Hi Leigh, thanks for not scoring against your old employers in the cup. Doing well but then we all knew you would. You'll be a star in the premier and hopefully Scotland boss is sitting up taking note. Welcome back at Almondvale any day - preferably in the black and amber. Cheers for the all the goals young man. ;-)

• 36. At 11:00pm on 20 Feb 2010, stu85 wrote:

It's really boring reading arabs comments. Can't say I'd take the time to comment on a DAB's blog... Or even bother reading it for that matter.

Good to read some Livi fans wishing Leigh all the best. Must have been a good servant to the club and I hope he makes the same impact on our fans (he's made a good start).

As for the blog itself... I'm looking forward to reading more over the next hectic month and I hope it's all upbeat. Nice to get a wee insight behind the scenes.

• 37. At 00:55am on 21 Feb 2010, markrrfc wrote:

awryt leigh
    i am a raith rovers fan and i could'nt be more happy to have drawed dundee in the scottish cup and i can't wait to see dougie hill nail you again

• 38. At 09:16am on 21 Feb 2010, natalie wrote:

great a dee on the bbc great blog leigh (sparky)

• 39. At 09:45am on 21 Feb 2010, Ian Brown wrote:

Fantastic, a Dee's blog. As one more fan living in Sweden it's great to be able to keep up with the inside info on the BBC. Mind you, I didn't know there were more of us in Sweden.

• 40. At 09:51am on 21 Feb 2010, pehman wrote:

Dougie Hill - don't make me laugh. He is a hammer thrower and a thug, with a criminal record longer than your arm.

I am sure Griffiths wont worry about a kick or 2 from him.

Hill will never be a football player as long as his backside points down the way !!

• 41. At 7:41pm on 21 Feb 2010, RoverElliot wrote:

Good to read your blog Leigh. I grew up in Stirling but moved to Dundee a few years ago and started going to Dundee games with a mate.

Been reading the United fans remarks and I can tell you Goodwillie is mince. I used to play against him in fives competitions at Stirling Albion and nut megged him a few times, which for a sunday league right back isn't too bad.

Keep up the good work for the Dees, you've been the difference for us in plenty of games this season. Good luck against Raith, would love to go to Hampden against United

• 42. At 4:00pm on 22 Feb 2010, saintkev wrote:

Seriously, what is insightful about this? I know that footballers want to play and if their game is off they'll do something else instead, which is basically what has been said...

• 43. At 8:41pm on 22 Feb 2010, dundeederryboy82 wrote:

LG! Excellent to have a blog on here from, let's face it, Dundee's biggest club..

Its very, very, funny to read all the DABs on here doubting your quality.. as for you wouldn't keep Goodwillie out of the Utd team, I've gotta say that I think he'd do that himself.. a right wee prima-donna that boy, there's nothing of him, and he's pickin fights with rugby players?! Go figure..

Anyway wee man, all the best for the rest of the season. Let's hope we win the league and get to the cup final for Bobby! Mon the Dees

• 44. At 9:22pm on 26 Feb 2010, natalie wrote:

well done great a dee on the blog

• 45. At 1:26pm on 28 Feb 2010, Bad Haircut wrote:

You are and always will be a Dundee Legend

• 46. At 11:44am on 01 Mar 2010, CAPPY SHEN wrote:

are u havin a laff fair enuf griffiths decent enuf and goodwillies a donkey? a take if garry kenneth paul dixon andy webster all in th scotland squad are donkeys 2 a suppose use think scott robertson and gomis are aswel wer th 3rd best in scotland lucky if use are 12th we are the superior team and always will b if hes that much of a donkey why is he defienetly goin tae start the under 21 game hes the first choice wats griffiths 3rd or 4th so if goodwillies a donkey wats leigh griffiths if goodwillies better than him and he even knows that himself he knows his chances of startin are slim wen jamie murphy ov motherwells better than him aswel dundee legend use are in the first division grow up i kany wait till goodwillie scores in2 use n kisses the badge rite infrunt ov ure fans HE IS A GREAT PLAYER
    goin watch a real team and u would know that. and th guy tawkin abowt the fives if its even true how long ago was that probaly when griffiths was gettin told he wasnt good enuf 4 hibs or falkirk players get better just incase u didnt no that pal. SHED RULE

• 47. At 7:21pm on 05 Mar 2010, pehman wrote:

• 48. At 4:50pm on 21 Apr 2010, SuperCaley wrote:

Fire Dundee into the SPL?! Do yourself a favour and sign up with a team that can hold their nerve! Caley Thistle are going back where they belong all because yourself and the Dundee boys bottled it!

Good luck to yourself and the Dee in another SFL season!

'Mon the Caley!