BBC BLOGS - Jonathan Legard
IN ASSOCIATION WITH
« Previous | Main | Next »

F1 boring? You must be joking

Post categories:

Jonathan Legard | 12:18 UK time, Friday, 16 April 2010

Has the 2010 season disappointed that much ahead of the last of the opening four intercontinental races this weekend in China? You'd think so from some of the criticism that has been levelled at Formula 1 so far this year.

Yet the reality is that there have been three different winners, eight different drivers on the podium and the leading five championship contenders are covered by just four points.

Expectations were set so high for the year for all sorts of reasons that criticism was perhaps inevitable unless there was a series of hi-tech Wacky Races.

Yet at the same stage last year one driver, Jenson Button had won two of the first three races from pole position and was already six points clear at the top of the table.

In fact, Button was about to make it three wins out of four and double his lead, which was only trimmed seven months later in the final race of the 2009 season in Abu Dhabi.

Under the new points system adopted for this season, Button's advantage would have been even greater before the first race in Europe.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.


For all the interest generated by Michael Schumacher's return after three years in retirement, how much of a field day would the critics have had if he had simply picked up winning like he had never been away?

You can't compare his return to the five month break from competition taken by Tiger Woods, who was immediately back in the hunt at last week's US Masters.

Schumacher needs time just like the teams need the time to get properly up to speed to make the most of the regulations in 2010.

After the conservative opening in Bahrain, where F1 was feeling its way into the season, we have yet to have a weekend where conditions remain constant and there's a chance in China this weekend for a more precise assessment of the progress teams are making in catching Red Bull. And exactly how Red Bull compare with Ferrari, the season's other pace-setting team.

How much more of a threat would McLaren have been in Malaysia, for example, if they had not made such a hash of qualifying?

The team's 'F-duct' aerodynamic system, which gives them extra top speed by reducing the effectiveness of the rear wing on the straights, should be just as effective in Shanghai as it was in Sepang, where Lewis Hamilton and Button impressed so much in Friday practice and progressed so strongly through the field on race day.

The kilometre-long straight into the penultimate corner - with a perfect overtaking opportunity at the end - should play to McLaren's strengths.

There's also the pit straight down to the first corner for another passing chance.
These and the fast, flowing mid-circuit turns should help offset McLaren's aerodynamic weakness through the twisting, slower corners, where Red Bull tend to excel.

The Red Bull performance is likely to be scrutinised this weekend even more closely by their rivals, following the FIA clarification over ride heights.

Despite the team's repeated insistence that that they have no trick system to adjust the car to suit the fuel load, some of their closest competitors still believe that Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber will be found out in qualifying on Saturday. One engineer said their advantage could be cut by 0.2 seconds per lap because the FIA ruling has forced them to make modifications.

That may have been expressed more in hope than expectation because that same ruling put paid to research into a rival system by his design team.

When I put this projected time loss to Red Bull's team principal, Christian Horner, he just laughed. "They can think what they like, we have no ride-height control system, and never have done," he said.

And he could be laughing all the way to another pole position - the team's fourth in a row - if his team continue their majestic form into Shanghai's Saturday session - Red Bull only gear up their charge towards the front in the latter stages of the pre-qualifying practice when true performance really starts to count.

McLaren's pace was again evident. Mercedes power claimed the top four positions in both practice sessions, worth around 6km/h down the long straights - although their top speed was matched by Ferrari on their longer runs.

Button, though happy with his car's balance, believed Red Bull still had the edge overall, as did Hamilton.

Ferrari and Mercedes were the latest teams to try out a version of the McLaren F-duct.
"Experimental, to test the parts" was how Fernando Alonso put it. Just as well, too. Any meaningful running was cut short because his car completed just six laps before another engine failure in the morning session.

However much he and Ferrari tried to downplay the problem, it has raised further questions about their reliability which the team will want to answer swiftly.

The two-time champion had already used three of his season's allocation of eight engines. Now, after two failures, he's left with six engines for the remaining sixteen races of the season, including such throttle-heavy circuits as Montreal, Spa and Monza.

This could limit his mileage in practice during a championship run-in nearer the end of the season. He can ill afford another failure early in the European season - especially if Ferrari are to make the most of what has started the season as at least the second fastest car on the grid.

Certainly, the Spaniard's pace on heavy fuel and the harder tyres at the end of the session suggested Ferrari will be a major force this weekend.

Mercedes's work on their 'F-duct' system is focused on being ready for the next race in Barcelona.

So far this weekend, it has been noticeable how much closer Michael Schumacher was to matching Nico Rosberg with heavy fuel on board, although the younger German still had the edge on lighter more qualifying-friendly loads.

So there is much to savour - even if, within F1, energy is still being devoted to some of the wider problems exposed by the first three races of the season.

On the subject of qualifying, I understand one suggestion being considered by the teams to improve the racing spectacle this season is changing the format of the final session.

Under this new idea, the cars in the top 10 run-off would run in championship order, each completing just one flying lap. So the lowest-ranked contender would get the theoretical best conditions at the end of the session, in an effort to try to mix up the grid.

The concern remains that unless the weather intervenes, as happened in Australia and Malaysia, there aren't enough variables over strategy without refuelling, never mind the potential for overtaking.

That said, Shanghai's mid-week rain is currently forecast to return on Sunday. F1's critics, still smarting from the letdown in Bahrain, may find China grabs and holds the attention as much as last year's epic in the wet.

POST-QUALIFYING UPDATE AT 1340 BST ON SATURDAY 17 APRIL:

Vettel shocked his Red Bull team-mate, Mark Webber, as much McLaren and Ferrari, with his pole-position performance. Those rivals hoping to be closer in qualifying because of the FIA ride-height clarification have more work to do.

For those of us looking for a clearer comparison of the race pace of the leading drivers - Vettel v Alonso v Hamilton, for example - it would need to be dry and that's not what the current forecast has in store.

Most teams are expecting rain from mid-morning for the rest of the day so the race has the potential to be as dramatic as last year. Red Bull still look favourites to repeat their Shanghai success of 2009 but some clever strategy calls and some hard charging from their pursuers could yet keep us all guessing.

Comments

or register to comment.

  • 1. At 2:04pm on 16 Apr 2010, Ronnie Stone wrote:

    it's still decided in the first 2 laps unless it rains...that's not boring eh!

    Complain about this comment

  • 2. At 2:27pm on 16 Apr 2010, Sam wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 3. At 2:47pm on 16 Apr 2010, DocBarnett wrote:

    Good blog, I agree with you, last two races had been brillant and hopeful China will provide chance of overtaking.

    Next will be Barcelona... Where overtaking really difficult

    PS I had notice interesting information from Mark Webber, he said that either Red Bull cars would pit first depends on their grid position...

    Complain about this comment

  • 4. At 2:54pm on 16 Apr 2010, Apurva wrote:

    Hm...First the media does its best to hype up the 2010 season, ends up overhyping the rule changes and driver line-ups, and now when the expectations don't match, say that fans were over-expectant?* How about the media over-hyped the situation to start with? Jonathan, you have made a critical assumption in your argument: you believe that an exciting title fight means an exciting race (which is not true of course). I do agree with you that F1 has redeemed itself from the Bore-Rain GP with the ones in Australia and Sepang, but you've got it all wrong. We fans are not complaining about the close-ness of the title-fight, but the fact that the pinnacle of motorsport with the world's most brilliant minds at work has had to rely on the mercies of clouds overhead in order to spice up the races. I may have to eat my words (and I certainly hope so!) that once the clouds disappear so will the fun and games, but at this point I would have to agree with the millions of fans out there-- the races are a bit of a drag...

    *To be fair, parts of the media did warn (rightly it turns out) about how the refuelling ban would lead to nothing but a procession

    Complain about this comment

  • 5. At 2:55pm on 16 Apr 2010, Armado wrote:

    It is a pity to see that well respected journalists are trying hard to convince people this year F1 is interesting. Unfortunately, using pity excuses about F-duct, a system that changes the ride height etc are what they are..... pity excuses. I have been following F1 for the past 2 decades or so and have never come across a start as ridiculous as this. Let me explain.

    It is well known that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and the birth place of numerous technologies used in road cars today. However, the rules have been skewed in the past few years limiting development and resources spent... albeit with the good intention of protecting customer teams. Now, it has gone a step further with asking drivers to conserve their tyres, their engine, the fuel etc. Why should the pinnacle of motorsport ask it's drivers to be conservative while driving these fast and extremely slick, capable machines? In such a case all the teams should be given a TOYOTA COROLLA and asked to race conserving the fule, tyres etc !!

    What we want to see is drivers going flat out on the circuit and overtaking with the skin of their teeth. Remember, Montoya's pass on Schumacher in Interlagos first corner, Hakkinen's pass on Schumacher in Spa, Alonso's pass on Schumacher in Suzuka. Now where has this quality of driving vanished? Instead, we have Hamilton who is at at best a talented an erratic driver giving clown like appearances and keeping the crowd entertained this year.

    Australia was exciting yes, only after the weather gods intervened. In Malaysia, the race was pretty straight forward except for the Mercedes and Ferrari drivers who qualified back. What we would like to see is drivers throwing their car around in each corner, along with fuel stops strategy (Remember when Schumacher won the French grandprix with three stops instead of Alonso doing two) that pushes the machines to the limit.

    Instead, we are set to see a processional races this year, except for now and then with the weather gods intervening. Unfortunately, it is sad to see many top journalists coming out and explaining that F1 is exciting. It is understandable that the livelihood of these journalists depends on people flocking to the races. Less people is less money.

    I hope people in F1 going back to the days at the start of this decade, when we had 20 cars on the track in the last minute of qualifying, drivers taking more risks, strategies playing a major role, refuelling stops and ofcourse good entertainment.

    Complain about this comment

  • 6. At 3:23pm on 16 Apr 2010, Alastair wrote:

    In an otherwise interesting article, the reality of "three different winners" should be tempered by the sure knowledge that except for reliability issues the same name would appear as winner of all three races.
    I do wish that from one year to the next the FIA would stop changing the car design and refueling rules. I can't believe this really helps the younger teams, nor does it seem a good way to constrain costs. What next for the FIA? Maybe they will insist on a driver swap half way through the race?

    Complain about this comment

  • 7. At 3:53pm on 16 Apr 2010, colin maltby wrote:

    still think unless the weather is changeable,it might be boring.I like the idea of the top ten going out in order of the championship,i still think there should be a ballast added to the cars ref how many points they have got,the more points you have the heavier your car

    Complain about this comment

  • 8. At 5:23pm on 16 Apr 2010, g baby wrote:

    The race was won in seppal after the first corner - interest aplenty obviously.

    Complain about this comment

  • 9. At 5:47pm on 16 Apr 2010, Spurs59er wrote:

    Jonathan, there have indeed been moments of excitement in F1 this season, but they have been just that - moments. Because the cars can't really get close to each other when dicing for position, the whole effect is of a boring procession, suddenly enlivened by an occasional incident - be that overtaking, dual wheel loss, the start, or whatever.

    For real edge-of-the-seat fun the tracks should be kept wet, with varying amounts of water in different places. Other than that, it is not very interesting at the moment.

    I've been watching F1 for years and years, including being in Monaco on my tenth birthday to watch Graham Hill and Jim Clark really dice for the lead, with Graham taking the BRM to victory in the end. The racing at the current time is not as eventful, nor as emotive as it was then, although I will concede that I am older and thus possibly less easily impressed.

    That said, when I want true edge-of-the-seat entertainment I watch MotoGP. It makes F1 look like a bunch of grannies out pushing prams by comparison, as anyone who watched the seaon opener this year in Qatar will undoubtedly agree. Fractions of seconds separated most of the dices up and down the field for the whole race, and it was a superb spectacle - and really one we should be watching on BBC 1, not BBC 3, or are the BBC concerned that people will wake up to what real racing is all about?

    The major problem is that there is just no suggestion of a real contest taing place as after a few laps at the start it basically settles down to where it will finish, bar car failure, and that is boring. Really boring.

    I'd rather watch Rossi, Stoner, Spies, Lorenzo et al all day than F1 at the moment.

    Complain about this comment

  • 10. At 5:49pm on 16 Apr 2010, boils wrote:

    Its true. I can't wait for it to rain and to see the drivers smash into the wall. Apart from that we have middle markers at best overtaking. The leaders are over the horizon.

    Complain about this comment

  • 11. At 5:54pm on 16 Apr 2010, Reid wrote:

    Don't you learn maths anynore in Britain. The headline is "Hamilton fastest in practice for Chinese GP"
    Let's see. Button goes fastest in first practice and 3rd fastest in second practice. Hamilton goes third fastest in first practice and fastest in second practice.
    That was a tie, when I went to school

    Complain about this comment

  • 12. At 6:17pm on 16 Apr 2010, Srsweenie wrote:

    Armado,

    It seems like you, and what appears to be the majority of F1 'fans', are suffering from a pretty severe case of "looking back with rose tinted spectacles". You name 3 exciting overtaking manoeuvres in the 2 decades you've been watching. We have been treated with some pretty spectacular races over the past couple of seasons, but it seems like some people just want to live up to their british stereotype and complain.

    The Bahrain GP was slightly dull, yes. But you wouldnt see football fans out with the pitchforks if they drew 0-0 on the first day of the season. Or tennis fans if Murray won the first round of wimbledon 6-0 6-0 6-0. Yet because we've so far had 1 dull race, 1 pretty decent race, and 1 excitement packed race F1 fanatics come out in their hoards to criticise.

    Complain about this comment

  • 13. At 6:47pm on 16 Apr 2010, dom taylor f1 wrote:

    If someone really loved F1 they would never call it boring

    Complain about this comment

  • 14. At 6:59pm on 16 Apr 2010, mischievousCheesy101 wrote:

    Jonathan, even your co-commentator Mr Brundle got fed up watching Alonso stuck behind Button and Hamilton tooling around behind Sutil for lap after lap after lap. 'This is the problem that Formula One has to address, that the aerodynamics are so sophisticated that when you are 2 or 3 car lengths behind, the dirty air makes it impossible to overtake unless you have a big performance advantage' I would also add that the neutered tracks offer so few genuine overtaking chances that it often doesn't matter whether the car behind is obviously quicker or not..there just isn't any damn way to get past without taking a massive risk.
    On the point of qualifying, it is so difficult to follow whats going on now because the TV companies flit around from one car to another in the course of the same lap and you have no idea whether someone is on a hot lap or not..we as viewers are totally dependent on you to keep us up to date with whats happening, otherwise its just like watching the traffic go past standing on a motorway flyover...

    Complain about this comment

  • 15. At 7:00pm on 16 Apr 2010, Matthew Kingston wrote:

    I personally have quite enjoyed this season so far even if Bahrain wasnt exactly thrilling. and @canchaz Hamilton set the fastest overall time (even if this was partly due to the rubbering in of the circuit) and therefore the headline was perfectly accurate.

    Complain about this comment

  • 16. At 7:17pm on 16 Apr 2010, GFasulo wrote:

    Totally agree with dom taylor f1. Just seeing the cars is interesting for me. Plenty of overtaking and incidents are a bonus.

    Complain about this comment

  • 17. At 7:24pm on 16 Apr 2010, Gregz0r wrote:

    It's only the Johnny-come-lately fans that are moaning. They have no idea. There was many a procession, in EVERY era in F1 history. Get over it.
    At least F1 has an aerodynamic excuse.
    There were quite a few processions, in Moto GP in the last few years too - What's their excuse?

    Complain about this comment

  • 18. At 7:43pm on 16 Apr 2010, ChrisNett wrote:

    The artificial solutions to trying make the racing closer such as adding ballast to the leading cars etc seem to defeat the whole object of F1. The best driver and constructor should win, simple as that. If the others can't keep up it shouldn't be up to a handicapper to slow the other cars down.
    My idea for mixing things up (in the absence of a tyre war) is this.
    The current rule for cars having to use both types of tyre during the race should be scrapped as it forces everyone to basically do the same thing.
    Instead Bridgestone should offer 3 compounds at each race (to replace the current 4) with reasonably big steps in terms of durability and grip between them. During free practice teams can use any compound they like to optimise their car as they see fit. Then before qualifying they select their preferred compound and are issued with 3 or 4 sets for both qualifying and the race.
    This creates many different permutations, strategies and philosphies from the teams. Do they go for the hard compound and no pit stops at the risk of dropping down the grid in qualifying? Maybe the softest tyre, go for pole but 2 or 3 stops? Some cars will be designed to be easier on tyres and get more life, others will be designed to get them up to temp and be grippier quicker at the risk of shorter life.
    This is simple and could be implemented pretty easily.
    As with everything else in F1 allowing room for different ideas is the key to exciting racing.

    Complain about this comment

  • 19. At 8:15pm on 16 Apr 2010, Dave wrote:

    You've missed out that Sebastien Vettel has been on pole for 2 out of 3 races. Bahrain would have been his 1st win if it wasn't for an engine problem. Australia would have been his 2nd win if it wasnt for a brake failure. Malaysia should have been his 3rd win. The current leader, Felipe Massa would be on 33pts instead of 39pts if it wasnt for Vettel's retirements. If Vettel didn't have 2 retirements, he would be on 75 points, with Massa trailing on 33pts (42pts difference).

    Yes it may be exciting to see Mclaren and Ferrari near the back, racing their way through the pack, but they are punching below their weight and it will lose its buzz when Vettel is 80 points clear in the championship.

    People are favouring Hamilton for this weeks race after his practice results. But that did also happen at Malaysia, and I believe RedBull to be sandbagging to some degree. That or they really have had a ride-height adjustor and appear to have slipped behind Mercedes.

    But If RedBull keep to their 'car in front calls the tyre strategy' it will be impossible for anyone to make a gain. It seems like the race is won either in the final minute of Q3 on Saturday or the first 15 seconds of the race after they go through turn 1.

    Complain about this comment

  • 20. At 8:32pm on 16 Apr 2010, Armado wrote:

    sweenie02,

    Yes, indeed there was a mention 3 memorable manoeuvres in the past decade. However, there have been many more. Rightly so, in the past two seasons and even before.

    However, the biggest concern is if drivers are asked conserve this, that and what not then the sport is just not racing. I believe, the teams should give all drivers TOYOTA COROLLAs and ask them to bring home the car in one piece (which I am sure they will).

    Every now and then, the rules are experimented with (albeit with good intentions), and suddenly in a season like this the rule changes have gone horribly wrong. The entire spectacle of watching 20 or odd persons servicing a pitstop is taken away from F1. Even the debacle of pitstops (famous of all.... Ferrari in Singapore 2008) will be sorely missed.

    Instead, we will all be watching the weather report every weekend and hoping the rain can cheer us up.

    In the meantime, the F1 media will be trying their best ensure we watch the races and generate some revenue for them.

    What a pity!

    Complain about this comment

  • 21. At 8:49pm on 16 Apr 2010, Martin wrote:

    Nice unbiased article here....

    Just because the championship is close doesn't mean the teams are close. Red Bull have dominated on pace but stumbled on reliability, Ferrari have been lucky that their failures have mostly been in practice, and McLaren have masked their weaknesses with some good tactical Button and aggressive Hamilton drives.

    It doesn't mean the races have been interesting either - there's no evidence that totally dry weekends can produce any excitement under the current rules.

    This doesn't mean things won't be tense if multiple drivers can win the tite going into the last race, but I can't see viewing figures surviving this year. Most of the big changes that can be made (reinstating refuelling, removing aerodynamics, softer tyres) aren't feasible changes for midseason. Even removing the need to run both types of tyres isn't guaranteed to help, as the incentive to run an aggressive strategy is so limited. The new idea for qualifying could help, but why championship order rather than qualifying order?

    Thank goodness for MotoGP, BTCC and World/British Superbikes - real racing, real action.

    Complain about this comment

  • 22. At 9:56pm on 16 Apr 2010, Thedude wrote:

    Ok - let's face it - f1 is for geeks and moto gp is for men.

    Anyway here's my 2 p's worth;

    1. Schumacher is too old and will be beaten by his team mate who incidentally will not win the chmpionship so not sure where that leaves shcumacher?
    2. Red bull will not feature so well in quali now that FIA have now clarified ride height rules - they were simply cheating.
    3. Webber is over rated and under acheives in one of the best cars on the grid (maybe not now that ride height has been scruteniered). The man is pony - go race v8's.
    4. Hamilton a dangerous driver? Hilarious - let's just a race in a straight line at Santa pod?! Maybe that will be more interesting ?
    5. F1 needs turbos or overtake button to improve the spectical, I regularily watch more exciting go kart races at my local track!
    6. Kubica has the biggest nose in the history of F1 which actually may help him win a grand prix if there is a photo finish (unlikely unless he signs for a
    winning team).
    7. Vettel is quality - saves his talking for the track.

    Er - that's it for now - excuse spelling and grammer - I'm on iPhone!!

    Hamilton to win in china - woop woop !!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 23. At 10:11pm on 16 Apr 2010, raul202 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 24. At 10:34pm on 16 Apr 2010, raul202 wrote:

    Yeah! At #5 Armando, I wholeheartedly agree, might as well be driving Toyota Corollas!!! F1 is fast becoming a waste of space. I was so pleased when the BBC got F1 back, but what is the point when the racing is so atrocious????

    Exciting? when has this season been exciting??? Not even the qualifying has been exciting so far this year! I the race, the cars cannot overtake each other! Simples! Alonso and Hamilton both closed up on Sutil last race. That was exciting, but they were on fresh tyres but still could not over take!

    Give me something to get excited about and I will continue to be a fan of F1. Come up with nothing different from now on and I will give up on you. TV rights will mean nothing in the near future. Stop mucking about with the rules and that, make racing fare and square and people might, just might, start believing in F1 again.

    Complain about this comment

  • 25. At 10:40pm on 16 Apr 2010, raul202 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 26. At 10:46pm on 16 Apr 2010, raul202 wrote:

    sweenie02, I advise you to watch the highlights of the 1983 Long Beach grand prix. More overtaking than last year put together. Including Brazil.

    Dangerous manoeuvres? Yes. Brazil 2009, dangerous manoeuvres? Yes, if Button's own admission is anything to go by.

    Complain about this comment

  • 27. At 11:02pm on 16 Apr 2010, raul202 wrote:

    @17 F1archives_dot_com
    I have watched many a grand prix in my time. Admittedly when Nige got a puncture, had to come into the pits and get new wheels, closed up on Senna and then still couldn't get past, that was not a good race, but then that's Monaco for you.

    But I remember a time (borne out by the grands prix available to watch on the BBC website this week) when overtaking was not frowned upon - it was encouraged. Maybe the 'Johnny-come-lately' fans do have no idea (but I would not consider such condescending word or thoughts myself), but those who do not fall in to that category still find modern F1 a pale insignificant image of past seasons.

    Get a grip, remember what old formula 1 was all about and don't slag off others with no facts to back your 'arguments' up.

    Complain about this comment

  • 28. At 11:18pm on 16 Apr 2010, FoxesofNuneaton wrote:

    F1 is not Boring.
    Out of 100% who complain about the Sport, 90% are those who just started watching F1 and 10% is the guys who were watching F1 in the 1970's.
    Lets admit it, F1 isnt perfect, No other Motorsport is exciting.
    MotoGP has processional races, BTCC is processional and so is NASCAR.
    Has anyone not fallen asleep watching NASCAR?
    The Cars are not like they were in the 1970's and those just watching it complain, just dont watch it...its irritating.
    We would love to see Cars dicing to the edge, but what happens when the edge gets pushed, you are looking at a very nasty accident and thankfully, no driver has died in F1 since 1994.
    We've had some serious incidents with Burti and Massa but they have not died, we have to slow the cars down but F1 isnt boring, just Fans complaining because the 1st race was a bore...we still have 16 races, try and get to the end of the season before complaining.

    Complain about this comment

  • 29. At 11:38pm on 16 Apr 2010, d23qnq wrote:

    The lack of overtaking has been in the sport for a few years now, and the cause is the qualifying system. The old system allowed different fuel strategies at the start of the GP- if you had a bad quali you could light fuel the car to jump a few places on the grid or heavy fuel yourself etc etc- the teams could not, therefore, model the race and predict when they had clear traffic tp pit their drivers. The years where you started on your quali fuel meant the teams could predict how much fuel was in each car and by modelling the race they could pick which lap to pit their drivers (safety cars etc would obviously disrupt their predictions).

    So they introduced no fuel stops- Did they think no fuel stops would be like the old days? Why would teams want to pit for tyres these days- like Mansell pitting late in the race for some fresh tyres and chasing the field. Now you have pit lane speed restrictions making any pit stop a greater disadvantage!

    F1 sort yourself out- look at MOTOGP. Overtaking equals excitement

    Complain about this comment

  • 30. At 00:05am on 17 Apr 2010, dave wrote:

    hi i screamed at the start after bahrain for a minimum 2 stop race so the race could be run mainly on the faster tyre therefore pushing the cars to limits on low fuel, refuelling has gone probrably because of the danger it caused with fuelling rigs getting stuck and drivers speeding off with mechanics attached which is 100% rightly so.

    the problem is f1 has stopped devolopment for raw outright pace because it got too fast and dangerous so understandably it has to be slowed down.
    slowing it down has cut the edge so better ways of bringing an edge to a controlled enviroment has to be found.

    1 idea i have is to do with the return of kers which has been raised again.

    instead of giving the racer the limit and time to use it from their own devolopment engineers, make a universal kers system that computes to turbelance.

    the more dirty air computed the more power provided by an automatically controlled kers system.

    therefore if u are in a train of dirty air useless as it stands, you will have more of a boost to get into the slip stream, and obiously once the slipstream is found then the kers would slow down to let performance regonise itself as the problem seems to be getting to the slipstream even if 3 or 4 seconds faster.

    i absoultely have no doubt we would see 3 abrest under a system like this.

    but obiously the kers would work better for faster cars than slower cars which wouldnt alter the outright pace from the pacesetters, it would just clear up the dirty air problem and put a chance even as if no atmosphere.

    just a thought and many implications and wrongs and rights but an intelligent theory to clear an aero problem which i think f1 needs aero windows as without aero f1 isnt f1 anymore



    Complain about this comment

  • 31. At 00:46am on 17 Apr 2010, Subverbal wrote:

    I think the season so far has been pretty good, apart from Bahrain as most will agree. There are a lot of rose tinted glasses out there, I've been watching F1 since the early eighties and there have been many years dominated by one single team. Now there are possibly four teams with eight decent drivers who can all win given the opportunity.

    With regard to Moto GP, I watched half of the first race and wasn't exactly blown away. I will try to watch the second half on iplayer as I'd like to get into it. Problem is, overtaking in bike racing isn't anywhere as big a deal as it is in F1 for example, and therefore is not as exciting to watch (unless it's on the last lap). Nevertheless, if you're into bike racing or touring cars watch that instead. No need to waste your time complaining about F1!

    The current problem with F1 is the reliance on aerodynamic grip, if this was reduced by say 50% and mechanical grip increased the cars may lap more slowly but they would be able to overtake far more effectively. Never mind messing about with kers, hard and soft compound tyres, different qualifying formats and the like, just cut down on wing sizes and ban any smaller 'winglets'. Job done - surely??

    As far as drivers are concerned, it'll be interesting to see how the various team mates compare over the season. My feeling is that Hamilton will outshine Button, Alonso will get the better of Massa and Vettel will have no problem with Webber. Rosberg / Schumacher is harder to call - is Rosberg a real talent finally in a decent car pitted against an ageing master, or will Schumi catch up and take control?

    F1 isn't boring - just ask Sebastian Buemi!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 32. At 00:54am on 17 Apr 2010, Throstlehead wrote:

    17 & 28, I wouldn't start picking a fight with Moto GP guys its a more superior motorsport than F1. Moto GP occasionally has a processional race, Formula 1 occasionally has an exciting race.

    Complain about this comment

  • 33. At 01:09am on 17 Apr 2010, dave wrote:

    subverbal
    i would like to say "do away with aero" but isnt that going back to the old days and killing futeristic devolpment?
    we got that in gp2 already.
    u have to have a big enough window for different devolpment otherwise there would be no point.
    i go back to the point about a controlled window that is big enough to make the difference for teams to make the cutting edge and control of dirty air under aero is what we need to look at not dismiss it.
    why bother with future devolpment if u give the same car to all teams,
    this would shut f1 down
    thats why the major teams were ready to pull out and start there own f1 formula.
    without technology and large windows then pushing the boundries becomes an indescribable affair therefore prounouncing technology of f1 a thing of the past which means we would desire a scoda to a ferrari.
    that just aint going to happen
    control the dirty air and we solve the moaning and get back to the thought evaluation and technology of racing f1

    Complain about this comment

  • 34. At 03:03am on 17 Apr 2010, Adi wrote:

    Could the processional racing be a result of drivers and cars being more closely matched than any other time in F1 history ? No disrespect to all the former champs but I've noticed a marked increase in driving talent even at the tail end of the grid lately.

    If you compare the modern races to say the 1980s, drivers make far fewer errors. Cars are more reliable. Fewer mistakes just lead to less opportunity for overtaking. The aerodynamics of a F1 car are still the prime suspect for boring racing but lets not forget that modern drivers are just more precise lap after lap, even in bad equipment.

    The most stark example of this was Hamilton v Petrov last fortnight. A world champ in a front running car struggling to get past a rookie in a subpar Renault. Petrov drove his socks off when defending. Same thing happened when Lewis came up against Sutil. The usually error prone Force India driver just didn't give Lewis a chance.

    Complain about this comment

  • 35. At 03:32am on 17 Apr 2010, xpres1001 wrote:

    @ Lillski (22)

    The only decent comment on this blog!!



    Complain about this comment

  • 36. At 07:12am on 17 Apr 2010, David Fleming wrote:

    Was there a piece of kit, which looked like it was a key to lock on the bodywork, left on Jenson's car for his first qualifying run?

    Complain about this comment

  • 37. At 07:18am on 17 Apr 2010, Colin Witter wrote:

    Just watched BBC's interview with the two Sauber team drivers... I was struck by the remarkable similarity they bear with the characters in Alban's alter ego group "Gorrilaz" on their track "Stylo". A I imaginig this? & is this an omen?

    Complain about this comment

  • 38. At 08:44am on 17 Apr 2010, Hookers_armpit wrote:

    Jonathan,
    Yet another article protesting that F1 really is interesting? Are you trying to convince yourself?

    Perhaps you (doth) protest too much?

    Complain about this comment

  • 39. At 08:57am on 17 Apr 2010, CNW0429 wrote:

    22. At 9:56pm on 16 Apr 2010, Lillski wrote:

    "2. Red bull will not feature so well in quali now that FIA have now clarified ride height rules - they were simply cheating."

    'Inaccurate' just does not do this statement justice!

    Easy explanation for McLaren not being up the front in Q3- After Q2 all the teams have to bump up the ride height for the fuel load at the start of the race (can't be changed under parc ferme rules after qualifying). McLaren's car does not handle the increase in ride height as well as the Red Bull or the Ferraris. It's probably also the reason they have been chief accusers of Red Bull's cheating.

    In relation to this actual article- the last two races have been a lot better the average F1 race. Yes Lillski, Kart races are probably better in your opinion, but if you think F1's job is to provide thrill a second racing with Indycar amounts of place changes, then you're wrong. It never has been, and never will be. We don't need turbos or power boost buttons, just a shake up of the aerodynamics rules, which is happening next year. Hopefully the new rules are more watertight than the 2009 revisions and the aero-men won't find loopholes to claw back their downforce!

    Complain about this comment

  • 40. At 09:11am on 17 Apr 2010, Lanky wrote:

    Surely, if it's necessary to "explain" why something isn't boring, then that is self-defeating; the issue would only arise because people are finding it boring! Explaining technical details, and pointing out what the current table positions are, doesn't change the fact that people are still finding it boring!

    Yes, the table is close. Yes, there is a sub-plot of the return of an old master. But as too many people have already said, the winner is pretty much decided (car failure aside) within the first 30 seconds of the race (and qualifying). Top-4 teams can overtake bottom-3, but that's about it (look at the "fun" the Mclarens had in the last race, with Jenson holding off the Ferraris for ages, and lewis unable to overtake the Force India).

    This particular blog would not appear if people hadn't been complaining, and since "boring" is a subjective view, it must therefore be concluded that for a lot of people, it must be boring!

    Complain about this comment

  • 41. At 09:37am on 17 Apr 2010, CNW0429 wrote:

    Re Lanky no.40

    Is the racing really any worse than what we have seen in the last 3 seasons though? People seem to think that the cars' inability to overtake is a new problem, when it isn't. There's been more overtaking in all 3 races than last year (Yes, even Bahrain, statistically at least), albeit with some help from the weather in the 2 most recent. The complaints about F1 being boring have definitely increased though, for 2 reasons. The season was hyped beyond belief and people got carried away. Lots of big name drivers in front-running cars makes for a good title battle, it's not a guarantee of stunning racing week-in week-out. Secondly, everyone seem to treat Bahrain as a test race, because they were unsure of their cars' limits. It probably didn't help that a lot of team bosses overreacted to one bad race and called for immediate changes; then the public just joined in!

    Complain about this comment

  • 42. At 09:38am on 17 Apr 2010, who2believe wrote:

    28. At 11:18pm on 16 Apr 2010, FoxesofNuneaton wrote: - BTCC is processional!!! I admit that there can be the odd race at a couple of courses that meets that definition but the handicapping system makes that unlikely for all races and for a non-contact sport there are a lot of race incidents.
    F1 just doesn't have much in the way of overtaking whilst other motorsports, BTCC, Formula 3, Formula Ford, motocross etc are all based on cars passing each other on the track. F1 usually restricts its passing to when the opposition is in the pits. F1 may as well follow rally car rules and have staggered starts and just see who gets the fastest time over a set number of laps. Mind you rally cars are a bit more interesting as the course changes with use so that and the handicapping of who starts first makes it a race.

    Complain about this comment

  • 43. At 11:32am on 17 Apr 2010, Lanky wrote:

    Re. CNW0429 No 41
    You're right, we also had some very processional races last year, and yes, some of this is a knee-jerk reaction to the first race. But I think there's more to it than this. Look at the way that Sutil held off Hamilton, the way that Button held off Massa and then Alonso; this on straights which should have been good for overtaking. Yes, there has been a lot of hype over this season, but has there been any more hype than last year? "The biggest set of regulation changes in 19 years" (or words to that effect) were being bandied around a lot at the beginning of last season. Those changes didn't have the desired effect, any more than the ban on refuelling, so why the increased outcry this time? (I'm not posing an answer, just asking the question). Last year was hyped as much as this year, if not (I believe) more. Differences?
    Whatever the reason for the increased outcry this year, the fact is that overtaking (especially at the front) seems to be getting increasingly more difficult, hence the original point that the races are indeed boring, regardless of the off-track table results. The reason for the increased outcry? I guess it's just frustration; not at the hype this year, but that it's two years of major hype in a row, and still not as much action as we'd like.

    Complain about this comment

  • 44. At 11:49am on 17 Apr 2010, David P wrote:

    Although there have been many different race results this year, it has been through weather and mechanical issues rather that the "Blood and Guts" driving of the drivers.
    Overtaking has been a rarity and the pit lane is little more than a formality as all stop for the same tyre changes. With the loss of fuel stops the pit lane is as boring as the racing.
    Bring back Fuel stops,more than 2 tyres to choose from and make the aero dynamics more biased to give downforce for the overtaking cars. I wish to see racing, which should include faster cars being able to overtake swiftly and get after the field, not being held up in a convoy where no one can get past an obviously slower car. Fuel strategy and varied tyres which will add to the excitement which is sadly very lacking. Prediction for tomorrow, after the first 2 or 3 laps no change for the podium unless mechanical or driver error.

    Complain about this comment

  • 45. At 1:25pm on 17 Apr 2010, cordas wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 46. At 1:53pm on 17 Apr 2010, andrewme wrote:

    You wouldnt expect a non talent like Legard to criticise F1 otherwise its back to local radio and the Saturday overnight slot if he is lucky. I disagree, its normally the first corner incident. Its just arse achingly boring without rain or incident. Still my bet is lap 40 and a ferrari engine blows up hope its alonso

    Complain about this comment

  • 47. At 2:29pm on 17 Apr 2010, Rampro wrote:

    If we get past the first corner without an incident that will be incredible, considering the closeness of the times.

    If we have a wet race then any one can win, the one common fact so far this season is Schumie is not getting competitive.

    Complain about this comment

  • 48. At 2:33pm on 17 Apr 2010, Ryan Reader wrote:

    On Schumacher, I have a couple of things to say.
    I am not surprised about his lack of form.

    - First, he has been away for 3 years, in which time the regulations have changed significantly. It may take the rest of this year for him to get used to it, plus his racecraft and his old touch will still be rusty.

    - Secondly, he is in a new team to him. Okay, he has Ross Brawn, but Mercedes does not have many, if any of his old Ferrari mechanics, engineers, designers etc. Remember, it did take a year for him to get the partnership right with Ferrari when he moved there (1996 wasn't great), and took him even longer until he was utterly dominant from 2000 onward. Give the partnership chance.

    - Tied in with that, I doubt very highly that the car is tailored towards Schumacher at the moment. There was still doubt that he would actually be fine to return until winter testing, and because there were doubts, they couldn't design a specific car - they just had to design an all round car, for Rosberg and a possible replacement as well. From then, it's very unlikely to completely change the design of the car. I expect next years car to be more tailored to him.

    - Finally, the Mercedes car is not good enough to be up there. Even Rosberg is a mile off, and Rosberg is having a really good season so far.

    I fully expect Schumacher to come good. If he doesn't after the 3 years he's contracted, then he won't be a disappointment. Too many people, including the BBC, hyped him up too much. Everyone had to and has to be realistic. It's clear that Schumacher and Mercedes are realistic, and aren't worrying about a thing. He hasn't made any awful errors, just his ultimate pace, mostly in qualifying, isn't quite there yet.

    He will always be, statistically, the greatest ever driver.

    Complain about this comment

  • 49. At 3:19pm on 17 Apr 2010, Adrian wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 50. At 3:30pm on 17 Apr 2010, fromthefourthfloor wrote:

    Ok... deep breath

    I agree that F1 at the moment is severely over-regulated. For the FIA to change the rules every year doesn't imply they have any real confidence in their product. However it's clear that F1 isn't an easy sport to regulate either. Different people have different expectations of F1, but any regulations must take the following factors into account:

    1. Speed (obviously, F1 is meant to be pinnacle of motorsport)
    2. Technical complexity (likewise)
    3. Competitiveness (how close the field is, ease of overtaking)
    4. Costs (so it's not just manufacturers and billionaire corporations who can compete)
    5. Sporting Integrity (not just making sure the drivers behave, but making sure that the best performances are rewarded)
    6. Safety

    It stands to reason that a lot of these factors are in opposition. Making the cars as fast as possible will have a knock on effect on costs & safety (and probably competitiveness.) Measures such as reverse grids or "watering the track" introduce a level of randomness & might improve competitiveness, but would take away from the integrity of the sport etc etc

    Personally the ideal scenario for me would be to give all teams the same budget at the start of the season and say "here, build a team to win the championship." With that budget each team has to cut their cloth & manage driver's wages, develop aerodynamics, buy/build engines etc. No regulations at all about what the cars look like, but the same money available for each team.

    But that isn't going to happen (and probably for many good reasons.) My point is that while I'd like to see the FIA become much more laissez-faire, F1 isn't easy to regulate and a little perspective from some of the critics would be nice.

    Complain about this comment

  • 51. At 3:46pm on 17 Apr 2010, Peter Harris wrote:

    Gents - and Ladies, of course.

    I've spent many a day reading through the string of posts that this group invites and I have to say that there is a real split between the people who have loved and watched GP racing for years and years and the newcomers (the ones who I'm guessing have only joined us since around 2000). Personally I've been a GP lacky for over 20 years! And i'm only 31!.....

    If you want exciting wheel to wheel action every race then go watch MotoGP (or any form of bike racing), touring cars and / or US racing. These series will surely fill your quota for non-stop action! I know it does for me.

    F1 is a season long journey that has many twists and turns. The majority of races have the proposition of being boring, follow my leader events, and the recent rule changes have not helped. I personally loved the refueling element of the sport, however now that its no longer a part it, you have to adjust your perception.

    The mere fact that that there are 4 points seperating the top drivers, even at this stage of the game, means that upcoming races and quali sessions are affected by the pressures that this applies.

    For me - happy days. Bring on the rest of the season. Its like a good book unfolding with twists aplenty!

    Complain about this comment

  • 52. At 3:59pm on 17 Apr 2010, MediaOverreaction wrote:

    So all the people that are finding F1 boring are still interested enough to post on yet another F1 blog.....


    Interesting qualifying, it appears that Red Bull have to worry about reliability and thats pretty much it. I'd say right now Vettel looks nailed on for the championship. Webber looked fairly gutted that he lost out again, Ferrari will be lucky to get their engines half way though the season, and McLaren will need to up their game at the European stages to stand a chance. Here's hoping the RBR has a few more problems.

    Complain about this comment

  • 53. At 4:10pm on 17 Apr 2010, boils wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 54. At 5:01pm on 17 Apr 2010, LfcFan1977 wrote:

    F1 is not a boring sport but the races often are.

    Many things in F1 need to change in order to increase the on-track spectical.
    In my opinion.
    Probably the first thing is to dispel ideas that formula one needs massive cost reductions when other sports are thriving through large investment and sponsorship. After all, F1 is the pinical of motorsport and design development. I still think we would see new teams if they have the will and desire to be there.
    There has to a large reduction in aerodynamic downforce to remove the turbulence behind the car in front. Cars need to get back to being able to drive right up to the gearbox of the car it is following.
    A result of less downforce would be higher straight line speeds, so smaller engines would need to be introduced. Perhaps with uncapped rev limits so that teams could use boost buttons for overtaking but could still have some control over reliability issues caused by high revs.
    Allow KERS for teams that want to use it. It is a enviromentally friendly technology that would help the image of F1.
    Allow things like, active suspension, ride height adjustment, wing adjstment, ect ect.
    10 sets per team of 3-5 tyre compounds at every event. That would open up the scope for different strategies without the return of dangerous fuel stops.
    3 cars/drivers for practice sessions but stick with 2cars/drivers for qualifying and the race.
    The qualifying could be better. I would like to see a 60 minute session
    again but with a twist that stops the top teams sitting out until the last 10/20 minutes. A driver would have to post a faster time than in the previous 10 minutes but the slowest driver is eliminated every 10 minutes (regardless of any retirements).
    A point given to the driver posting the fastest lap of the race.

    As for schumacher, he does need time to adjust, half a season should be enough for us to see if he is capable of cutting it in F1 again. He doesnt need any longer than that, you do not forget how to ride a bike.

    Things i do not agree with are.
    The qualifying in championship order or weight ballast. Those ideas are almost as ridiculous as a lottery draw for the qualifying grid order.

    The suggestion that F1 is a lesser or a more boring sport than;
    MotoGP. How many bikes can fit side by side on the track? of course overtaking is easier. What is the power to weight ratio of a MotoGP bike compaired to a F1 car? I hazard a guess at it being a lot higher.
    BTCC. or should i call it banger racing? where the overtaking manoeuver is as simple as putting the front of one car up the inside of the other and just smashing past it. Or if one driver has won a race or is leading the championship, they simply slow them down by making them carry weight. How is that even racing?
    NASCAR. That sport is like stepping back in time. Only bad drivers like Montoya join that dull as dishwater and dangerous excuse for a motorsport.

    Just to give you all a insight to my opinions, im 32, i love most forms of motorsport and have watched more than i can remember since i was a child.

    Complain about this comment

  • 55. At 5:40pm on 17 Apr 2010, A Stick wrote:

    Looking back at the results of races doesnt make them exciting.

    Saying there have been three winners in as many races or 8 podium takers this year doesn't mean the racing was anything special. It wasn't. And if you think it was i suggest you watch some other motorsport, like Motogp or touring cars. Or just look back 20-30 years at F1 before it became a procession.

    Motogp for example has been dominated by one man for the past decade, Valentino Rossi, but the racing has always been 10x more entertaining than F1.

    People used to say F1 was boring because Schumacher won everything, but since he's been gone it hasn't changed, and now he's back it hasn't got any worse.What is their excuse now?

    Complain about this comment

  • 56. At 6:16pm on 17 Apr 2010, Saes wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 57. At 6:32pm on 17 Apr 2010, dom taylor f1 wrote:

    GFasulo (16) knows what he is talking about.
    Him and I are PROPER F1 fans.

    Complain about this comment

  • 58. At 7:29pm on 17 Apr 2010, Lord_Lancashire wrote:

    Oh good gracious me, the petty moaning continues.

    May I ask...I don't know what you lot have been watching over the past years, and decades, but you seem to have been watching some amazing idealistic racing series, that those who have been watching and loving Formula One for years can't really recollect.

    I always condemn people who say things are worse now. Take society for instance...people say children are worse, that crime is up, that communities are corrupt. I'd love to take them back to Victorian times - they'd have a fit. They wouldn't even last 2 minutes.

    Same for these so called "fans" who seem to think F1 was once overtaking at every corner, a person winning from the back of the grid, crashes every 10 seconds...I'd love to take you back to an F1 race in the early 2000s, then the 90s and then the 80s. You'd wonder what all the fuss you are making was about. Because your comments are severely uneducated.

    F1 does, people, have occasional bad races. It's always been the case, with every racing series, with every sport. There's always going to be, occasionally, a duff event. But Australia and Malaysia have been both epic, and if you've not found that, then you've clearly not been tuning into F1 for long, and your definately not a motorsport fan, because I have been LOVING this season.

    Thankyou for your attention everybody. *Waves*

    Complain about this comment

  • 59. At 8:50pm on 17 Apr 2010, Ben wrote:

    it is sad to see people still talking about bahrain. yes it was a terrible race but we have had to rilliant races since, and malasyia was barely affected by the weather. long live f1!

    Complain about this comment

  • 60. At 8:56pm on 17 Apr 2010, Ben wrote:

    also, f1 is not boring against other motersports because of its lack of overtaking. well i watched some btcc the other day and some moto gp. these were both boring because there was no battle to overtake. if you could overtake wtih the flick of the steering wheel, than f1 would be boring. but it is the fight to overtake and the struggle that makes f1 gr8

    Complain about this comment

  • 61. At 9:07pm on 17 Apr 2010, Al Smith wrote:

    It's not boring when you put a lot of money on Vettel to win the World Championship... Bring it home Seb!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 62. At 10:37pm on 17 Apr 2010, Remember Mansell wrote:

    Jonathan, Mate!

    Armado at #5 says it all. I go back 30 years watching F1. F1 has become as exciting as a Cane Toad Race in Cairns. Ground effects has killed the overtaking, therefore killed the excitement. Bring back slipstreaming and MANSELL.

    Complain about this comment

  • 63. At 11:43pm on 17 Apr 2010, Ginger wrote:

    Can't see any other result other that a Vettal win. However, set for rain and this could mix it up.

    Fingers crossed.

    Complain about this comment

  • 64. At 11:47pm on 17 Apr 2010, juan wrote:

    Even if i am not a big football fan, I believe the exitement is comparable to F1, in the sense
    that an overtaking is like a goal. So a goal less match is similar to that of Bahrain. When it rains
    you get more position changes, thus, 6 goal mach and even has the effecto a penalty shootout
    (beacuse of the chance factor). The same way public impatience about overtaking has been happening with goals, They thought of making goal frames wider, or now it seems they will get rid of the offside rule.
    Maybe they should bring Turbo back.

    Complain about this comment

  • 65. At 11:48pm on 17 Apr 2010, Srsweenie wrote:

    Well said Ben (60),

    Overtaking should be an achievement, not a privilege. Watching the BBC Classic F1 races, 2005 chinese grand prix is described as Alonso showing a superb defensive masterclass to keep Schumi behind him and win.

    I have a feeling if the same happens tomorrow the emphasis will be on the chasing car's inability to pass due to aerodynamics, rather than leading drivers skill.

    Complain about this comment

  • 66. At 00:22am on 18 Apr 2010, scruffy21 wrote:

    this shouldn't be about whether f1 is better than motogp,thats childish and petty really.my ideas for f1 are thus,get drivers and ex-drivers to design the tracks,tilkes helping ruin the excitement of f1.all his tracks have the character of a bale of hay and are all fundamentally the same design(stupidly long straight,really tight corner,with a mickey mouse infield),compare them to spa or montreal sure.they ruined hochenheim!also have the cars more like early 90s design,with a proper coke-bottle body,no winglets and so on.quali should just be as many laps as you want for an hour and bring back refuelling

    Complain about this comment

  • 67. At 00:27am on 18 Apr 2010, scruffy21 wrote:

    also,drivers should have less control in the car over things like the front wing angle,brake balance and so on.just take em out.if you botch up the settings-tough!thats what friday practice is for!just leave em with the basics

    Complain about this comment

  • 68. At 01:27am on 18 Apr 2010, Jamie Fewery wrote:

    There is something inherently wrong in F1 when Hamilton gets castigated for racing. Weaving IS racing. If the other drivers cannot see that then they are in the wrong sport.

    Sometimes I think the likes of Kubica and Webber genuinely want a procession with no excitement. The more true racers like Hamilton the better. If someone weaves in front of you then attack back, don't just moan to the stewards. Ayrton Senna was the most exciting driver ever, he would do anything to win and that is true racing. Hamilton has the same attitude and good luck to him for spicing up what would be otherwise a dull sport, full of drivers who claim that overtaking is impossible these days.

    Every race so far this year has been spiced up by Lewis Hamilton's desire to race. Without him F1 would be in a sorry state.

    Complain about this comment

  • 69. At 06:57am on 18 Apr 2010, SupaSix-1 wrote:

    Totally agree with comment 68. Every race this season Lewis has continually drove like a racer should. Its seems like its yet another 'lets pick on lewis again' moment. As DC said "Lewis is getting a hard time from the drivers as usual", why? DC replied "cos hes faster than they are & they know it". The other drivers just seem to drive their cars (letting the car drive them). But it always seems like lewis is always consistanly pushing his cars & his abilities to the maximum & racing with true grit. In other words lewis always gives it that bit more than the others regardless whatever the performance of the car (ie. 2008, especially 2009 & this season).

    Anyway..F1 boring?
    -F1 will never be boring.....however the racing unfortunately can get very dull sometimes.
    To help improve:
    1) more overtaking-friendly circuits replacing less ovetaking friendly circuits(exception for monaco).
    2) get rid of 'childish playground rules' like the 'one move' rule (weaving) - F1 is not the brownies...F1 is suppose to be the pinnacle of motorsport & should be wheel to wheel / toe to toe / bare-knuckle racing. Otherwise the fia might as well put the cars on a conveyor belt each race. F1 circuits should also makesure the first corners provide exciting starts.
    3) Bring back Kers
    4) Obviously adjust aero-design to improve overtaking (im aware that F1 aero-design will always cause a degree of difficulty to overtake, but anything is better than this years aeros. Maybe go back to the designs of 2006 or 2008 (lower wings).
    5) extra points for the driver who performs the most overtaking in a race.
    I know this next one will never happen for a number of reasons. but would be the perfect solution.......
    6) The qualifying comprises of each driver setting a best lap in......The safety car! This would be perfect as all drivers would be driving the same car so qualifying would be more about individual driver ability/skill...but as said...that will never happen.

    Complain about this comment

  • 70. At 12:52pm on 18 Apr 2010, billybob253 wrote:

    as a fan of ALL motorsport, i will always watch f1 and i've found the season interesting enough so far, but i am disgusted by the lack of coverage of rallying and touring car racing on the bbc; not only do you not cover them, but trying to find any information on them is nigh on impossible; rallying is attended by more people than f1, and in my opinion is far more relevant to the everyday motorist than the more specialised technology of f1, though i know it's only my opinion.
    Can you Jonathan or anyone out there in the BBC justify your letting these two HIGHLY-popular forms of motorsport go to Dave and ITV? if anyone doubts my claims, have a look at some footage of the BTCC or RAC rally from the past and see the crowds and excitement of both these sports, with nose-to-tail racing in touring cars and unbelievable car-control of rally-drivers, arguably the best drivers in the world, who are not protected by wide run-off areas and sand traps, and who are approachable and down-to-earth unlike the f1 elite in their ivory towers; not everyone will agree but as i say this is the opinion of a fan of all motorsport...

    Complain about this comment

  • 71. At 11:36pm on 18 Apr 2010, Spurs59er wrote:

    ...and there you go - excellent race, lots of action, and all thanks to the weather. more wet please.

    Complain about this comment

  • 72. At 01:09am on 19 Apr 2010, sufc63 wrote:

    Re Alonso's overtaking manouevre on Massa entering the pit lane... With friends like this who needs enemies! Ferrari can play it down all they like and 'gentleman' Massa can be as diplomatic as he wants. This 'team' will schism big-time before the season's out. Alonso is incapable of partnering anyone. I hope Massa gets his revenge on the track. The time will come when Alonso needs Massa and I hope he reciprocates with a like-minded selfish gesture that disadvantages Alonso big-time. You reap what you sow - disharmony and distrust

    Complain about this comment

  • 73. At 07:36am on 19 Apr 2010, Keith Cooke wrote:

    Just because there are different winners does not mean the races are exciting, quite the oppositeactually. We can only be grateful for the intervention of rain because that is the only thing adding life to this seasons racing.
    I have been a follower of F1 for many many years, my age is 55, but if things do not radically improve I think I will resort to watching grass grow as there will be more excitement.

    Complain about this comment

  • 74. At 3:14pm on 09 May 2010, beachet wrote:

    Yes boring.......I just wished for rain BBc would be better screening BTCC

    Complain about this comment

  • 75. At 12:18pm on 11 Oct 2010, General S wrote:

    Ok it's boring again there's no excuses, the only exciting ones are when it rains.

    Complain about this comment

View these comments in RSS

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.