BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say
« Previous | Main | Next »

The Oscars: Your reaction

22:48 UK time, Sunday, 27 February 2011

The King's Speech has been crowned best picture at the Oscars, as well as winning three other awards including best actor for Colin Firth. Who did you want to win?

The Social Network, won for adapted screenplay, editing and score. Natalie Portman was named best actress for Black Swan.

Briton Christian Bale and Melissa Leo won supporting acting awards for boxing drama The Fighter.

Sci-fi spectacular Inception won four awards, for cinematography, visual effects, sound mixing and sound editing.

Did you watch the ceremony? Who were the worthy winners? Which films deserved more recognition? What are your views on the quality of the winning films?

Thank you for your comments. This debate is now closed.

Comments

Page 1 of 4

  • Comment number 1.

    It looked very promising for The King's Speech but the academy are a fickle lot so I'm not surprised that it didn't do very well in the end.

    Never mind.

  • Comment number 2.

    The Oscars?

    I'm so glad that tomorrow (I think) this tedious process will reach its long and painful orgasm!

  • Comment number 3.


    The King's Speech

  • Comment number 4.

    The whole thing is a joke really, full of behind the scenes corruption and the best films never win.I did see the King's speech and thought Colin Firth was quite good, but Helena Bonham Carter was mis-cast.Geoffrey Rush gave the best performance. I thought the film lacked any kind of real spark.

  • Comment number 5.

    I hope "Inside Job" the documentary film about the banking collapse that led to the world economic recession won an award. A brilliant documentary that is a must see for anyone better wishing to understand why we are now in recession.

  • Comment number 6.

    I hope Jeff bridges wins best actor as i never liked john wayne in westerns.

  • Comment number 7.

    To be quite honest I don't care for modern films, so I won't be looking at the oscars.

    From my point of view, none of the films shortlisted for for the 2011 oscars come even close to classics like "the Maltese falcon", "Double indemnity", "Key Largo" and hundreds of others like them.

    As far as I am concerned most modern movies apart from a few exceptions are just foul-mouthed rubbish.

  • Comment number 8.

    Given the movie standards on offer for the 2011 Oscars, all I can say is come back Charles Bronson all is forgiven!!!!

  • Comment number 9.

    I have watched the Academy Awards for as along as I can remember and the movies this year were phenomenal. It is safe to say that Collin Firth and Natalie Portman will win the Best Actor and Actress Award respectively for their work, but I would love to see an upset that would make Oscar history. The speeches are often the best part of the show, seeing who will make you laugh, or cry. Anne Hathaway and James Franco are both easy to watch and have just enought comedic timing to present a great show! Needless to say as I am watching it now it looks to be shaping up as a show to remember!

  • Comment number 10.

    The sooner this is over and I am spared interviews and stories and studies concerning stuttering, the happier I'll be.

  • Comment number 11.

    I liked an ad on Australian TV recently. "Go back to the time when movies were 2D and so were the characters! Tango and Cash at 10PM."

    Some film (forget the name already) got a Razzie today for "3D worse than having your eye gouged out with the business end of a taco chip."

  • Comment number 12.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 13.

    I really don’t care, had it not been for headlines all over he BBC web site I wouldn’t have even known about it.

    Can we stop, take a breath, and think:

    Do a bunch of grossly over paid self indulgent people, who do nothing more useful than act stories on film, really warrant the money and attention lavished upon them by the celebrity industry ?

    Not sure ? Take a look at the world around you, poverty, injustice, suffering, hunger …. But I suppose world wide media gossip about some brat in an expensive dress or suit is far more important.

  • Comment number 14.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 15.

    to the moderator: seriously?! please, and you let that other crap through?

  • Comment number 16.

    More self congratulating of the film industry by the film industry. Why is it such a big deal? Its only a bunch of people deciding who they think did a good job whilst doing their job, which most of them are over paid to do.

    It is also all so fake and plastic its untrue.

    Oh and no, I am not jealous as I am sure people will shout. I am a realist. The Oscars as all the other self congratulating awards should not have top places in the news. There are people lying dead in New Zealand after an earthquake there, there are people dying in the streets in Libya, Oman, Tunisia etc. Sort of makes the Oscars look the pathetic pandering rubbish it is

  • Comment number 17.

    i am amazed by the stupidity of the some of the posts in this thread. the kings speech was a well-deserved winner, and as was christian bale for best supporting actor, and natalie portman for best actress. to all those who think that the last great movie was made over 50 years ago, get out and buy yourself a ticket to one of the great films nominated this year

    to jrr123, the academy awards provide recognition to people who have excelled in a medium that has the ability to educate and inform people in the most special way. it's not about brats, expensive dress etc. your argument is spurious. a lot of things makes up our daily life. it is no more valid to argue that sport or computer games are meaningless. it's all part of the continuum that is life - which includes poverty, injustice, suffering and hunger. does that invalidate any expression that isn't especially addressed to those realities. grow up.

  • Comment number 18.

    Ref #1 "I'm not surprised it didn't do very well"!! Well TKS only picked up the four most important awards, In my book that's doing very well indeed! Congratulations to all involved in this wonderful film. I think TKS should have picked up best costume & set design as well, giving these awards to a fantasy film like Alice in Wonderland, is very predictable, but also very unimaginative. I suppose Inception appeals to some, but I walked out of it after 20 minutes, I thought it was unintelligible, presposterous claptrap.

  • Comment number 19.

    BORING - the triumph of fascist minds! ;-)

  • Comment number 20.

    17. At 05:22am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    i am amazed by the stupidity of the some of the posts in this thread. the kings speech was a well-deserved winner, and as was christian bale for best supporting actor, and natalie portman for best actress. to all those who think that the last great movie was made over 50 years ago, get out and buy yourself a ticket to one of the great films nominated this year

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Why are you calling people stupid for their opinion? Not everyone likes the movies you like. Just because a movie critic states a movie is good or rubbish doesn't make it so...it is that critics opinion. Thats one of the things that is wrong about the Oscars. It represents the opinion of a few people.

  • Comment number 21.

    2. At 11:20pm on 27 Feb 2011, Brittany Chaveos wrote:
    The Oscars?

    I'm so glad that tomorrow (I think) this tedious process will reach its long and painful orgasm!
    ..........

    I would hope that happens AFTER the blah blah, pat on back, mwah mwah mwah, has finished.......

  • Comment number 22.

    #

    Complain about this comment
    # 17. At 05:22am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    to jrr123, the academy awards provide recognition to people who have excelled in a medium that has the ability to educate and inform people in the most special way. it's not about brats, expensive dress etc. your argument is spurious. a lot of things makes up our daily life. it is no more valid to argue that sport or computer games are meaningless. it's all part of the continuum that is life - which includes poverty, injustice, suffering and hunger. does that invalidate any expression that isn't especially addressed to those realities. grow up.

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Oh come on! Even you should know that is absolute rubbish!! Films educate people!! Haha!! What planet are you on? You must be from the US if you think films educate people, I know thats where people in the US get their history from. You do know that hollywood changes the facts to mae the film more interesting, put their point of view across and sensationalise it so it sells at the box office.

    Films educate and inform people...haha. Thats funny!

  • Comment number 23.

    i was calling people stupid for making groundless generalisations, for attacking films for the sake of attacking films, for saying that the last good movie made was "Maltese Falcon" (which I happen to like), and that we should somehow spend our whole existence worrying about all the poverty, injustice, suffering and hunger in the world. sorry, but that is stupid, whichever way you cut it. i wasn't denying anyone the right to say that any particular film isn't good, or to have a contrary opinion on what makes a good film. please re-read my comment, and address the fundamental point - that many things make up our lives, and that films are a valid expression of human emotion that have the ability to educate and inform. are you saying that you haven't seen and been moved by a film since 1950?

  • Comment number 24.

    16. At 05:16am on 28 Feb 2011, Tony of Britain

    Thank you

    17. At 05:22am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:
    ….. the academy awards provide recognition to people who have excelled in a medium that has the ability to educate and inform people in the most special way. it’s not about brats, expensive dress etc.

    ….. which includes poverty, injustice, suffering and hunger. does that invalidate any expression that isn’t especially addressed to those realities.
    ………….

    Jerry, I would agree that the film industry could educate and inform people, but it rarely does.
    Remove your blinkers, take a look around you, what have these brats excelled in? Making a lot of money and being photographed in designer clothing. Brilliant.

    Poverty, injustice, suffering and hunger does invalidate invalidate other forms of expression, the celebrity industry, of which this is part, removes people from the reality of life. Wake up.

    Lets cancel next years celebrity bashes, taking up countless millions of dollars and hundreds of hours of airtime. Dedicate the whole show to provide recognition to people who have excelled; excelled in helping others, be it Palestine, Rwanda, Bangladesh, or any where else where 1/3 of the worlds population is dying in poverty. Lets see just how dedicated the celebrity industry is in educating and informing people.

  • Comment number 25.

    tony of britain: sorry, but your last post is completely uniformed and ridiculous. so no film - in the history of cinema - has ever educated or informed anyone? that says more about the films you choose to see than it does about cinema. btw - i happen to be a well-educated australian, not an american - though i hold no prejudice against americans, as you seem to do. well done, you seem to be very enlightened

  • Comment number 26.

    23. At 06:09am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    i was calling people stupid for making groundless generalisations, for attacking films for the sake of attacking films, for saying that the last good movie made was "Maltese Falcon" (which I happen to like), and that we should somehow spend our whole existence worrying about all the poverty, injustice, suffering and hunger in the world. sorry, but that is stupid, whichever way you cut it. i wasn't denying anyone the right to say that any particular film isn't good, or to have a contrary opinion on what makes a good film. please re-read my comment, and address the fundamental point - that many things make up our lives, and that films are a valid expression of human emotion that have the ability to educate and inform. are you saying that you haven't seen and been moved by a film since 1950?

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Well in their opinion the Maltese Falcon was the best last movie made. Why call them stupid for that? In my opinion Mars bars are better then snickers bars....are you going to call me stupid because you like snickers bars better?

    Well, I wasnt alive in 1950, but I have not been moved by any film. I take films for what they are, sensationalist stories. Its just entertainment thats all, something to keep people from being bored when waiting for something. As are books, as are songs. They are not factual, but may be based on fact....very loosely.


    Films have the ability to educate and inform, but they do not. They are full of sensationalisms and mistruths. That is the only fact about movies. An example of that is U-571 and Pearl Harbour.

    Films should not replace or be more important then reality. I do not want to see the fact that an actor in the film the Kings Speech overshadow the fact that there is a cash for organs horror in South Africa, there has been a coup attempt in Congo where at least 6 people have been killed, there is a humanitarian crisis in the Ivory Coast. Yet none of those are on the BBCs headline web page.

  • Comment number 27.

    25. At 06:20am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    tony of britain: sorry, but your last post is completely uniformed and ridiculous. so no film - in the history of cinema - has ever educated or informed anyone? that says more about the films you choose to see than it does about cinema. btw - i happen to be a well-educated australian, not an american - though i hold no prejudice against americans, as you seem to do. well done, you seem to be very enlightened

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Give me some films that in your opinion have edcated and informed people with factual historic accuracy and have not sensationalsed whatever historical period they portray.

  • Comment number 28.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 29.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 30.

    jrw123; the excesses of the film industry are no worse or better than all the other excesses in the world, that are part of our reality. i could spend a lifetime railing against excesses. but that is beside the point. i entirely agree with you about what should be our priority in life, on this world - please don't think that i haven't spent a lot time thinking about the injustice in the world (and making contributions by way of donation) to causes like palestine rwanda and bangladesh- and engaging in heated and passionate arguments with my friends about these matters. but i also know that people watch movies, that movies are an important part of people's daily lives, and that that is a medium that has the potential to affect change for the good. just the other day i saw a beautiful film from peru called "undertow" - about homosexuality - that had a profound message about tolerance and love. so please don't tell me that films don't matter - or for that matter, a ceremony that recognises contributions to film

  • Comment number 31.

    The Social Network - how was it even nominated? I've never been so bored in all my life, and ejected the DVD after about 45 miserable minutes. I don't think it did at all well at the cinemas over here and went straight to DVD - the classic sign of a film that bombed. I can't undertand how it could be nominated for ANYTHING! The owner of Facebook's a billionaire though, and we all know how much they love money in Hollywood so maybe that swayed them.

  • Comment number 32.

    30 Jerry Dohnal.

    Why does the Oscars or any other movie award ceremony matter to anyone who is not in the film industry?

  • Comment number 33.

    29. At 06:38am on 28 Feb 2011, Icebloo wrote:

    P.S. - I just want to remind everyone it's been almost THREE WEEKS now since the BBC allowed us to have a debate on this page about British politics. Cameron and Co are obviously censoring the BBC now.

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Only in your tin foil capped head.

  • Comment number 34.

    None.

    29. At 06:38am on 28 Feb 2011, Icebloo wrote:
    "P.S. - I just want to remind everyone it's been almost THREE WEEKS now since the BBC allowed us to have a debate on this page about British politics. Cameron and Co are obviously censoring the BBC now."

    What? Glitter and other countrys business not interesting? You must be an agitator. "British Politics indeed" - whatever next? You'll be avoidin Kate and Willums wedding next!!

  • Comment number 35.

    sorry, tony, but asking me to list films that have educated and informed, tells me this is a fruitless discussion. if i need to do that, you are beyond help. but i'll give you just one, to show that i'm serious: a beautiful and moving film called "niiwam" from senegal, africa (for which i wrote the plot summary on imdb) about a husband and wife's trip from rural Senegal to Dakar to take their sick two-year-old daughter to a hospital. it made me cry uncontrollably. i would defy you to say that that is not a film that educates and informs. btw - the "historical" genre is not the only type of genre in film that is valid or educating. we are first and foremost humans, filled with emotion and love, and that is what movies have the ability to portray. you really need to get out and see a good movie. i think your idea of what constitutes a "movie" is terribly limiting

  • Comment number 36.

    32. At 06:44am on 28 Feb 2011, Tony of Britain wrote:
    30 Jerry Dohnal.

    Why does the Oscars or any other movie award ceremony matter to anyone who is not in the film industry?

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    All over this country, every town and village, in schools and colleges, there are people engaged in drama, mostly unpaid amateurs, but putting something into their communities with their enthusiasm for acting. OK so they are not the engineers and scientists we are told to admire, but they are a vital part of our society. They amount to many many thousands of people - taxpayers too - and believe me they are encouraged by the success of Colin Firth and other Brits with the Oscars.

  • Comment number 37.

    These generic backslap-a-thons are the pinnacle of utter tedium, at best.

    Outdated, tired, and over-pompous, similar to other awards ceremonies be it music, film, sport, or television, rich people congratulating themselves has too much of an 'in-your-face' irony, to be of any interest to most.

    On the 'winners', proof if required, that all that glitters isn't gold.

  • Comment number 38.

    why do the oscars matter? because they raise the profile of films that might not otherwise get seen, because they provide recognition for people who might just well make the next film that "educates and informs" people, because it might inspire someone to do better, because investors might fund an important film as a result, because it's important to recognise people for their good work. (and yes, i totally agree that recognition should be spread beyond films.) whatever... as you say, there are more important things in life - i.e. more important than expressing hatred for the movies.

  • Comment number 39.

    Here we go again. Every year the film industry hand out awards and every year a bunch of bitter people here moan about it.

  • Comment number 40.

    I am surprised: Surely this HYS should have been entitled: The Oscars - Did the right people win!

    Come on BBC, where is your sense of tabloid mindlessness?

  • Comment number 41.

    Hugely entertaining; no, not the Oscar Award ceremony nor its candidates. But rather the tit-for-tat offerings from contributors to this HYS. Well done BBC; please try to run this for a couple of days or so.

  • Comment number 42.

    35. At 06:58am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    sorry, tony, but asking me to list films that have educated and informed, tells me this is a fruitless discussion. if i need to do that, you are beyond help. but i'll give you just one, to show that i'm serious: a beautiful and moving film called "niiwam" from senegal, africa (for which i wrote the plot summary on imdb) about a husband and wife's trip from rural Senegal to Dakar to take their sick two-year-old daughter to a hospital. it made me cry uncontrollably. i would defy you to say that that is not a film that educates and informs. btw - the "historical" genre is not the only type of genre in film that is valid or educating. we are first and foremost humans, filled with emotion and love, and that is what movies have the ability to portray. you really need to get out and see a good movie. i think your idea of what constitutes a "movie" is terribly limiting

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Sorry, but how is asking you to provide a list of historically accurate films showing that I am beyond help? You are stating that films educate and inform people. I am saying they do not as they do not portray what happened accurately or truthfully. If you cant provide me a list of films that in your opinion are historically accurate and truthful, then yes, it is a fruitless discussion as you have nothing to back up your claim.

    Are you sure that the film niiwam is an accurate portrayal of what happened? Not sure the other passengers on the bus would have been too chuffed knowing they were travelling with a dead body, especially in a land rife with disease. Did he have to pay for two bus tickets?

  • Comment number 43.

    Please stop this hysterical reaction to the Oscars - you are Public Service channel, not a commercial OK channel! Not interested in celebrity and 'glamour'

  • Comment number 44.

    36. At 07:07am on 28 Feb 2011, ProfPhoenix wrote:

    32. At 06:44am on 28 Feb 2011, Tony of Britain wrote:
    30 Jerry Dohnal.

    Why does the Oscars or any other movie award ceremony matter to anyone who is not in the film industry?

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    All over this country, every town and village, in schools and colleges, there are people engaged in drama, mostly unpaid amateurs, but putting something into their communities with their enthusiasm for acting. OK so they are not the engineers and scientists we are told to admire, but they are a vital part of our society. They amount to many many thousands of people - taxpayers too - and believe me they are encouraged by the success of Colin Firth and other Brits with the Oscars.

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    I never said they were not putting something into the community. They are entertaining the community (I dont think they are vital). If I want to go to see one of their plays, I pay to go to see it. If I want a plumber to come to fix my burst pipe, I will pay one to come and fix it. I dont need to admire anyone because he can stand up in front of a paying audience and tell a story or admire someone because they can fix a burst pipe.

  • Comment number 45.

    Why oh why does the media have to make so much fuss?Yes,there were very good performances in all the films nominated but in the world of acting and film so many fine performances remain unseen because the industry is full of conceited people living in this make believe dog eat dog world who never see much beyond what or who is flavour of the month. The most important fact which shines through is that The Kings Speech was made on a budget,although at £10m its hardly a budget!It does prove that good acting,directing,a good well written story and careful attention to detail doesnt have to cost the earth to make a film excellent and watchable.

  • Comment number 46.

    All of the nominated films were excellent. The King's Speech was a very worthy winner. A film that can bring a huge smile to your face can't be that bad. Some great films in 2010/11, lets hope the standard continues.

  • Comment number 47.

    um...tony, it didn't actually happen. that's my point. there were no other passengers. it's not a reproduction of reality. but the fact that you could ridicule a moving film with such an insensitive flippant observation shows me that you aren't serious about your apparent love for the people of this world, or their suffering. there is truly no point in this discussion. well done, you've managed to disgust me, and hold you in utter contempt - which is a difficult thing to achieve, believe me

  • Comment number 48.

    If Oscar were such a recognition for good movies made around the world, the importence the English language and the British and Hollywood movies get should be given to movies selected for screening from every corner of the world.

    I have seen the movie "Kalavaani" made in Tamil Language which is on par with any social or historic classic of a movie with thought provoking messages and gripping story line on simple events happening in the life of a bunch of young lads in two remote hamlets of the East Coast Trancobar region of Tamil Nadu in South India. Those boys and girls who have acted in that movie deserve each an Oscar for their down to earth portrayal of the characters they depict so lively in that movie.

    Unfortunately, Oscar is tagged with Hollywood and English language speaking actors and movies. Other language movies are relegated and given 2nd grade treatment for quality assessments.

    I wish the Oscar selection committee views "Kalavaani" in perspectives and come out with their impartial openion without fail.

  • Comment number 49.

    38. At 07:14am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    why do the oscars matter? because they raise the profile of films that might not otherwise get seen, because they provide recognition for people who might just well make the next film that "educates and informs" people, because it might inspire someone to do better, because investors might fund an important film as a result, because it's important to recognise people for their good work. (and yes, i totally agree that recognition should be spread beyond films.) whatever... as you say, there are more important things in life - i.e. more important than expressing hatred for the movies.

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Well, surley thats what film review programs are for? They inform us about new movies and what they are about. We dont need the oscars to tell us that the Kings Speech is at the local cinema. I can just check the local newspaper and see it is on.
    Why do we need to "recognise" people who may make the next film? They will make the next film because it will bring them a pay cheque. They do not act or make movies for free you know, they do it to put food in their s and their families bellies and to put a roof over theirs and their families heads. The same reason I do my job.

    I am not expressing a hatred for movies, just saying there is no need for the Oscars or other self congratulating awards of the entertainment industry that for some reason needs to be headline news. So please do not try to put words into my mouth.

  • Comment number 50.

    Is this a slow news day ot something? Switched on the box this morning at about 6:50 and it was all about the oscars; it went to the local news just before 7 and there was a mention of Hampshire born Colin Firth; then a brief break for the weather; then it was ack to the main news and the ****** oscars. Turned off the telly and put on Radio 2 in time to hear Chris Evans talking about the Kings Speech!

    Really BBC, this is TOO much. I don't mind hearing who has won what - but please leave it at that!

  • Comment number 51.

    as a matter of fact he did have to pay for his dead daughter. i guess you find that funny

  • Comment number 52.

    47. At 07:33am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    um...tony, it didn't actually happen. that's my point. there were no other passengers. it's not a reproduction of reality. but the fact that you could ridicule a moving film with such an insensitive flippant observation shows me that you aren't serious about your apparent love for the people of this world, or their suffering. there is truly no point in this discussion. well done, you've managed to disgust me, and hold you in utter contempt - which is a difficult thing to achieve, believe me

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    I know it didnt happen. It is a movie with a message. A message that although fictional tried to portray reality, but failed as someone took a dead body onto a bus that was going about its business of ferrying passengers. If you want to portray such realities, try living it. Go to Africa and spend time with people who live in poverty and death every day (not just one family, but the multitudes). Spend time in a refugee camp where people are dying every hour of starvation. Then tell their story, but do it accurately. Dont make it a mockery by adding such things like having to take a body on a bus full of passengers....wouldn't happen. It would have been better to have used a taxi.

    Or even better, do not make stories up, do a documentary without sensationalising things.

  • Comment number 53.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 54.

    tony, what words am i putting in your mouth - you have categorically denied that movies educate and inform, and your expressed views amount to a vitriol against movies for everything from irrelevance to lack of historical accuracy

    sachidananda, the academy awards are for - guess who? - americans. it's the american industry awards. each other country has their own awards to award local talent. the academy awards happen to have a higher profile internationally, and happen to be the focus of media attention - because - love it or hate it - hollywood movies dominate the box office in a lot countries. what, should the academy awards recognise films from all over the world? that's what the foreign film category is for

  • Comment number 55.

    tony, the point is that people can't experience those things unless someone shows it to them. btw - documentaries are "films", in case you didn't know. i mentioned one doco in my earlier post, that you totally ignored. and how dare you accuse that movie of sensationalism without seeing it. it is made by africans, who have a much more deeper understanding or their reality than you. how do you know it wouldn't happen? how the hell would someone from a remote village afford a taxi? get your head out of the sand

  • Comment number 56.

    I'm glad that Colin Firth got his Oscar but all comments and interviews about the film have been done to death in the media at the various awarding ceremonies in the US and the UK.

    The extravagance at such such ceremonies clashes sharply with a hostile financial environment in which people are losing their jobs,savings etc, living on reduced pensions and in poor circumstances generally.

    Though it is nice to celebrate a victory let's do it for something practical like getting the unemployed back to work, the sick back to health and the poor out of poverty.

  • Comment number 57.

    It's a story which celebrates something the UK has been extremely successful at in the English speaking world, acting and high quality film making. It is something this country punches well above its weight in for a change.

    Yet the British disease takes over and all people can do is find something to moan about.

    Congratulations to the winners - it is a ceremony for the US film industry and a small budget UK flick about a very British piece of history has walked off with the pick of the prizes.

    Celebrate something this country is good at for a change if you haven't forgotten how.

  • Comment number 58.

    The last time I went to the cinema to watch a film it was Towering Inferno, which is probably why it was my last visit. The film won three Academy Awards, two BAFTAs and two Golden Globes at the various luvvies back slapping parties. Nothing appears to have changed.

    Now if you want to talk about books, damn my eyes for their age.

  • Comment number 59.

    The price of diesel has reached 133.9 pence a litre at my local garage, and following the conflict in North Africa and the Middle East, who knows where it will be by the end of the year.

    Still, thats not as important as sending a TV crew to Los Angeles.

  • Comment number 60.

    I note Cameron hasn't won anything this year. He must still be recovering from his Avatar. One impersonation too far I believe.

  • Comment number 61.

    syni_cal, the last film you saw at the cinema was towering inferno? and you feel qualified to comment? i'm still laughing

  • Comment number 62.

    My favourite films of last year were Winters Bone and Certified Copy but they had no chance of winning. I'm glad Colin Firth won although I thought he should have won last year for the superb A Single Man, in the end its a cattle show for posers on the red carpet.

  • Comment number 63.

    holly_bush_berry, not in the least bit funny. not sure why you bothered

  • Comment number 64.

    1. At 11:19pm on 27 Feb 2011, Magi Tatcher wrote:

    It looked very promising for The King's Speech but the academy are a fickle lot so I'm not surprised that it didn't do very well in the end.

    Never mind.

    ---

    You mean aside from winning four of the 'big five' awards? What planet are you on?

  • Comment number 65.

    Yeah, okay, well done.Can we move on now? I may well be wrong but I'm sure these people get well paid for what they do without being elevated to some sort of godly status they don't deserve.They're only acting, for goodness sake, not pulling people out of an earthquake zone!
    To be fair the only awards ceremonies that mean anything are those that reward real people for real deeds. Even then you can get too much and hit compassion saturation point.

  • Comment number 66.

    Having watched the breakfast "news" this morning it is incredible the weight that the BBC is attaching the Oscars as a piece of news.

    Normal broadcast interrupted to go over the LA for a live interview & the presenters acting like school children with excitement.

    Given unrest in the middle east, economic difficulties in the UK and other far more important issues can we have some perspective. Yes a good news story is always welcome but BBC news now seems incapable of reporting with a sense of proportion

  • Comment number 67.

    61. At 08:25am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    syni_cal, the last film you saw at the cinema was towering inferno? and you feel qualified to comment? i'm still laughing

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The comment was "The last time I went to the cinema" not that it was the last film that I had watched. Now dry your eyes and share the joke or would you prefer to share your opinion of which films have been worthy of awards in recent years?

  • Comment number 68.

    #63 Jerry Dohnal

    You think I was trying to be funny? How pitiful you are.

  • Comment number 69.

    i'm glad the "real deeds" award police are out in full force, and making sure the world runs right. um, i've never pulled someone out of an earthquake. omg, my life doesn't matter!

  • Comment number 70.

    59. At 08:14am on 28 Feb 2011, Farquhar wrote:
    The price of diesel has reached 133.9 pence a litre at my local garage, and following the conflict in North Africa and the Middle East, who knows where it will be by the end of the year.

    Still, thats not as important as sending a TV crew to Los Angeles.

    =================================================

    Diesel at 133.9? It's an outrageous 136.9 in all the garages near me.

    On the subject of the Oscars, I don't understand the concept of giving someone an award purely for doing their job. Anyone would think they do the job for nothing and don't get adequate payment.

    I understand giving people awards for bravery and courage or outstanding acts of selflessness, but giving someone a tacky 'golden' statue for doing what they're paid to do is beyond me.

  • Comment number 71.

    69. At 08:45am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    i'm glad the "real deeds" award police are out in full force, and making sure the world runs right. um, i've never pulled someone out of an earthquake. omg, my life doesn't matter!

    ---------------------------------------------------------------

    At last, a comment from Jerry that makes sense.

  • Comment number 72.

    martin3647, don't know about you guys, but i watch the australian broadcasting station's 24-hour news service, and i gotta say, all we've had for the past month is unrest in the middle east, earthquakes in nz. of course, i can't say we get ANYTHING about the economic difficulties in the UK. :) i daresay the only news from australia in the UK is cricket! so some time is devoted to the oscars, big deal.

  • Comment number 73.

    I look forward to the day that equivalent coverage is given to the East Anglian Heating & Ventilation Installer Of The Year Award and other, similar, trade shows. In fact, a Norfolk heating engineer is likely to be of more use to me than Colon Girth.

    I don't know anyone who stays up to watch the Oscars. Does anyone?

    Does anyone else think hat jerry Dohnal is cring as he types the messages to other posters?

  • Comment number 74.

    hey, syni_cal, and i said "the last film you saw at the cinema" - not "the last film you saw". at least read the posts you're responding to. suggesting that i have misunderstood when i haven't, is lying to make a point

  • Comment number 75.

    So the mutual masterbation society hands out its trinkets, now can we go back to the real world where people are dying and starving every day.

  • Comment number 76.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 77.

    The Kings speech is a boring film, about some sad old times, when the royalty rule this country,? and everyone was a wage slave { same as today} A great film to watch if you cant' sleep.

  • Comment number 78.

    It's boring! Get it?!
    We're not so interested as to want it treated as headline news when there are so many other things which are far more important.

  • Comment number 79.

    54. At 08:00am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    tony, what words am i putting in your mouth - you have categorically denied that movies educate and inform, and your expressed views amount to a vitriol against movies for everything from irrelevance to lack of historical accuracy

    sachidananda, the academy awards are for - guess who? - americans. it's the american industry awards. each other country has their own awards to award local talent. the academy awards happen to have a higher profile internationally, and happen to be the focus of media attention - because - love it or hate it - hollywood movies dominate the box office in a lot countries. what, should the academy awards recognise films from all over the world? that's what the foreign film category is for

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_


    You implied I have been expressing a hatred for movies. There is no vitreol about movies from me, all I am saying is movies do not educate or tell the truth. They sensationalise and tell half truths. Thats all, plain and simple. You have a different opinion and I asked you to produce a list of films that are truthful and accurate, you chose not to. Instead you chose to list a movie that was fictional.

    Indeed, hollywood films dominate the western movie arena. Thats fine, so what. What I dont want is to have the Oscars, the Brits or any of the many self congratulating awards rammed down my throat or dominated by the news. It is not headline stuff, it is third or fouth page stuff. Really, who cares if the Tom Cooper, Natelie Portman etc won an award, apart from Tom Cooper, Natelie Portman etc? As I have previously said as well, these awards are based on the opinion of a few, not the majority. So it is inconsequential.

  • Comment number 80.

    Cue the rush of people who "don't care" caring enough to tell HYS they don't.
    I thought some of the right people won, not all. Geoffrey Rush was robbed, and the best actress of 2010 wasn't even nominated. Lesley Manville should have walked it for her oustanding performance in Another Year.
    But Hollywood prefers scenery-chewing and histrionics, so Christian Bale and Natalie Portman (sorry, but she just can't act) got the nod.

  • Comment number 81.

    #16 Tony

    Some sense amongst all the nonsense. I do not need an academy to tell me a good film from a bad one. I have lost count of critically acclaimed films which have done precisely nothing for me. Indeed I have walked out of a cinema on at least one.

    I read may disparaging remarks about "Inception" but I enjoyed it, flaws and all, because the cinematography was simply stunning. Last night I enjoyed the "Three Faces of Eve" a film made as films should be made because some people love their art, as Joanne Woodward proved.

  • Comment number 82.

    16. At 05:16am on 28 Feb 2011, Tony of Britain wrote:

    More self congratulating of the film industry by the film industry. Why is it such a big deal? Its only a bunch of people deciding who they think did a good job whilst doing their job, which most of them are over paid to do.

    It is also all so fake and plastic its untrue.

    Oh and no, I am not jealous as I am sure people will shout. I am a realist. The Oscars as all the other self congratulating awards should not have top places in the news. There are people lying dead in New Zealand after an earthquake there, there are people dying in the streets in Libya, Oman, Tunisia etc. Sort of makes the Oscars look the pathetic pandering rubbish it is

    ------------------------
    I do pity people who have a complete inability to relax at the end of the day. Yes, the world is full of troubles, as it always is. The middle east is in the grips of civil war, the government cuts are starting to hit people, New Zealand has had an awful disaster.... etc, etc.
    Things like the Oscars and the films they promote give the public an opportunity to forget about the humdrum or bad things that happen in life and instead turn off and just not worry about it for a couple of hours. The fact these films make 100's of millions of pounds shows that the public need this release.
    So, let people have their fun. If the media only ever reported on the depressing side of life, it would be a very sad day for all. These items have a place in the news because people do actually take an interest in them.
    And BTW, looking at the front page of BBC ATM, it does still show the middle east and New Zealand as top billing...so there is still a sense or proporton there.

  • Comment number 83.

    29. At 06:38am on 28 Feb 2011, Icebloo wrote:

    P.S. - I just want to remind everyone it's been almost THREE WEEKS now since the BBC allowed us to have a debate on this page about British politics. Cameron and Co are obviously censoring the BBC now.
    ____________________________________
    Yes I know, it is shameful, the guardian blog is where it is all happening politically. Al Jazeera is also leaving the BBC standing at home and abroad. Maybe all part of the softening up process for eventual part or full privatisation.

  • Comment number 84.

    55. At 08:04am on 28 Feb 2011, Jerry Dohnal wrote:

    tony, the point is that people can't experience those things unless someone shows it to them. btw - documentaries are "films", in case you didn't know. i mentioned one doco in my earlier post, that you totally ignored. and how dare you accuse that movie of sensationalism without seeing it. it is made by africans, who have a much more deeper understanding or their reality than you. how do you know it wouldn't happen? how the hell would someone from a remote village afford a taxi? get your head out of the sand

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Watching a film is hardly experiencing these things. It is experiencing what the author wants people to experience and only audibly and visually.

    Films are not documentaries.

    A documentary presents facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film. (although there is sensationalism in documentaries).

    A film/movie is a form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement.

    niiwam is a fictional movie. It is not a real story. It is not a documentary...it is a story (oh, I didn't ignore it, take a look at comment 42). It may in some way reflect reality (apart from the body on a bus with a load of passengers, which obviously was the sensationalist bit), but it is a fictional movie....you even admitted to that in comment 47.

    Oh....FYI, I lived in Africa for 16 years.

  • Comment number 85.

    There are far too many different awards, Golden Globes, Academy Awards, Bafta's, Oscars the list is endless and the more there are the more they devalue each other. I don't understand the screen/stage/music industries obssesion with awards. Why give an award to someone just for doing their day job? They get paid for what they do what more do they expect? We don't have a "Best Train Driver of the year" award why have a best actor? Makes no sense to me.

    I can understand and accept that the BBC will indulge it's self and blanket cover the results milking them for all they can get. It's their industry so I suppose it's inevitable but there are other things going on in the world that we would like covered as well, please try to put a balance into your news coverage. After all, it is our TV Tax that pays your wages.

  • Comment number 86.

    I was shocked at the BBC's reporter's reaction to Andrew Ruhemann, British Co-winner of the best animated short film Oscar for 'The Lost Thing' outside the Vanity Fair party broadcast live on Breakfast this morning. As the BBC's reporter on the Oscars one would hope that he was up to speed on who was who & who had won what (especially when they are BRITISH!) but when he was introduced to Mr. Ruhemann it was obvious that he did not have a clue who he was nor seemed to deem him worthy of a decent interview.
    It was all about ( the fully deserving) 'King's Speech' & had he been interviewing anyone from that film he would have been more attentive. Equally, had it been Nick Park your reporter would have given him more time.
    Many Congratulations to Andrew and all 'The Lost Thing' team!!!

  • Comment number 87.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 88.

    44. At 07:29am on 28 Feb 2011, Tony of Britain wrote:
    36. At 07:07am on 28 Feb 2011, ProfPhoenix wrote:

    32. At 06:44am on 28 Feb 2011, Tony of Britain wrote:
    30 Jerry Dohnal.

    Why does the Oscars or any other movie award ceremony matter to anyone who is not in the film industry?

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    All over this country, every town and village, in schools and colleges, there are people engaged in drama, mostly unpaid amateurs, but putting something into their communities with their enthusiasm for acting. OK so they are not the engineers and scientists we are told to admire, but they are a vital part of our society. They amount to many many thousands of people - taxpayers too - and believe me they are encouraged by the success of Colin Firth and other Brits with the Oscars.

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    I never said they were not putting something into the community. They are entertaining the community (I dont think they are vital). If I want to go to see one of their plays, I pay to go to see it. If I want a plumber to come to fix my burst pipe, I will pay one to come and fix it. I dont need to admire anyone because he can stand up in front of a paying audience and tell a story or admire someone because they can fix a burst pipe.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't you get tired of these trivial point scoring HYS debates?
    You ask whether these ceremonies matter to anyone who is not connected to the film industry. I reply poining out that they do matter to many people active in our communities and so on. That was an answer.

    Unfortunately, when dealing with the stars of HYS, one has to acknowledge that you will change the terms of the discussion for a rather pathetic WIN. Come off it. Just see my reply as a reply. I am not interested in responding to your views about the worth of various activities. I simply wanted to record that people outside of the film industry are interested.

    HYS egos certainly out perform anything in the Oscar ceremony. Yawn!

  • Comment number 89.

    64. At 08:30am on 28 Feb 2011, OB1 wrote:
    1. At 11:19pm on 27 Feb 2011, Magi Tatcher wrote:
    It looked very promising for The King's Speech but the academy are a fickle lot so I'm not surprised that it didn't do very well in the end.
    Never mind.
    ---
    You mean aside from winning four of the 'big five' awards? What planet are you on?
    ________________________________________
    He inhabits planet Nonpoverty.

  • Comment number 90.

    Who or what is controlling the BBC? with all the turmoil in the world and you're still not allowing us an opinion on it. But still post up drivel about the bl**dy Oscars, get a GRIP.
    Why no subject on how we as a people in this country are fed up with the elite ruling classes? or how we as a people are forking out a fortune in expenses for the free loading MPs especially those on the front benches.
    PATHETIC!!

  • Comment number 91.

    As usual one bunch of luvvies praising another bunch of luvvies with the BBC standing by to heap praise and adulation...
    Frankly who cares? None of it is important, difficult, dangerous or interesting. An actor reads someone elses lines in the manner they are told to by someone else. If they get it wrong they try again.
    A soldier in Afghanistan doesn't get to 'try again', nor does a train driver, airline pilot, the guy who flew the Hercules this weekend, the fireman or doctor treating a heart patient....

    I wish the BBC would get a sense of perspective and look outside its cosy little arts obsessed world at what is really difficult, interesting or dangerous.

  • Comment number 92.

    81. At 09:13am on 28 Feb 2011, holly_bush_berry wrote:

    #16 Tony

    Some sense amongst all the nonsense. I do not need an academy to tell me a good film from a bad one. I have lost count of critically acclaimed films which have done precisely nothing for me. Indeed I have walked out of a cinema on at least one.

    I read may disparaging remarks about "Inception" but I enjoyed it, flaws and all, because the cinematography was simply stunning. Last night I enjoyed the "Three Faces of Eve" a film made as films should be made because some people love their art, as Joanne Woodward proved.

    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

    Why thank you Holly_Bush_Berry

    You see Jerry, people like to make their own opinions about movies. That includes whether they are good or bad, whether they want to watch it or not. They don't need critics or the Oscars to tell them that a movie was good or not and they don't need the Oscars to tell them about movies.

  • Comment number 93.

    If you think that the BBC is overdoing it with the Oscars, wait till the Royal Wedding.

    Now switching over to Fox News which, by comparison, has a wide range of informative news items.

  • Comment number 94.

    potatolord, i'm sitting here in my sydney, drinking a blockbuster australian red, with a huge smile :D you british take yourselves far too seriously

  • Comment number 95.

    64. At 08:30am on 28 Feb 2011, OB1 wrote:

    1. At 11:19pm on 27 Feb 2011, Magi Tatcher wrote:

    It looked very promising for The King's Speech but the academy are a fickle lot so I'm not surprised that it didn't do very well in the end.

    Never mind.

    ---

    You mean aside from winning four of the 'big five' awards? What planet are you on?


    ---------------------------------------

    4 Oscars - it's hardly Titanic or Ben Hur now is it?

  • Comment number 96.

    Well, we all know the Academy circus is the end-product of months of horse-trading behind the scenes. But the real story here is what the Academy has against Christopher Nolan. Snubbed in the major categories for The Dark Knight in 2010; snubbed in the majors last night for Inception. Despite him being the most consistent, daring, cinematic and arresting visual storyteller of this era - bar none. I suspect it's because he has shown that that you really can make intelligent, multi-layered art films that are also massive box office, thus proving wrong the studios' rigid mantra that you can't do both because audiences can't keep up. Such brio wins you as many enemies as it does friends.

    That having been said, it's brilliant that we had so much winning British export talent on display last night. Great art, great business, great job.

  • Comment number 97.

    #76 Jerry Dohnal

    More to the point, what was YOUR point in making another inane comment along with the many you have already made? Perhaps you are a frustrated critic?

  • Comment number 98.

    tony, this forum is about people who want to express an opinion about the oscar winners. not about whether or not the reporting in britain is excessively focusing on the academy awards. to be honest, i neither know nor care about how much the english media has focused on the oscars. if you don't care about the awards, get lost, and post a comment in a discussion thread that you do care about

  • Comment number 99.

    90. At 09:24am on 28 Feb 2011, No Victim No Crime wrote:

    Who or what is controlling the BBC? with all the turmoil in the world and you're still not allowing us an opinion on it. But still post up drivel about the bl**dy Oscars, get a GRIP.
    Why no subject on how we as a people in this country are fed up with the elite ruling classes? or how we as a people are forking out a fortune in expenses for the free loading MPs especially those on the front benches.
    PATHETIC!!
    ____________________________________
    Obviously after all the social media/blog activism that has led to the people of North Africa demanding real change someone has had a word with the beeb. They will soon realise the distraction effect of glittery dresses and celebrity culture wears thin against the real backdrop of mass unemployment, poverty and lack of opportunity.

  • Comment number 100.

    Cynicism was once entertaining - but the degree of it splashed out here is beyond belief... Of course movie makers are in another world - how lucky they are! Coz this one is full of negative thinkers going nowhere fast... God forbid!

 

Page 1 of 4

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.