BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say
« Previous | Main | Next »

What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

12:27 UK time, Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has survived votes of confidence in the Italian Senate and lower house which had threatened to force him to step down. What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

He comfortably won the first round in the Senate, but the second vote in the lower house was extremely close.

Mr Berlusconi had urged MPs not to jeopardise the country's stability by ousting him.

What does the future hold for Berlusconi? Can his government survive its term or will it face renewed challenges from its rivals? Can Berlusconi continue to lead or has he been fatally undermined?

Thank you for your comments. This debate is now closed.

Comments

Page 1 of 3

  • Comment number 1.

    Seriously? What is going on over there? All that news of what he gets up to and they still vote him in?

    Insane.

  • Comment number 2.

    Well this is going to stick in the throats of the BBC.

    I remember when Silvio was out of office last time and the BBC coverage trumpeted in his leftist replacement (a non-entity by the name of Prodi) who lasted about 9 months? before the country cried out for Silvio again.

    The left wing hate Berlusconi with a passion - and for that reason alone he's one of my favourite politicians. I love it when he mocks the commies and leftists with such disdain in his speeches.

    Long live Silvio. He'll bounce back in the polls as the economy begins to recover.

  • Comment number 3.

    i didn't realize the bbc was Italian?

    how about some relevant topics please?

    x-factor?
    some American diplomat 70% of people havent even heard off? and thats just today?

    how about EMA? how about the VAT rise next year? how about foreign aid?
    how about wales and scotland getting there degrees free at english taxpayers expense?

    and in a few days you come up with x factor, american diplomat and then expect UK people to be able to discuss italy's future? and what this vote means?

    seriously do your jobs properly!

  • Comment number 4.

    He's my new personal hero. He dethroned Bill clinton!

  • Comment number 5.

    Maybe I am a bit behind the times but I always thought that BBC stood for British Broadcasting Corporation.

    So why do we have one HYS on an Italian PM and another on an American diplomat that no one has ever heard of?

    Can we not debate something relevant to Britain?

  • Comment number 6.

    Well done, Silvio.

    A victory for democracy, despite all the nonsense talkd about him.

  • Comment number 7.

    "What does the future hold for Berlusconi"? is the HYS question.

    The same as Teflon Tony?

  • Comment number 8.

    More of the same I'd guess. As long as he dominates the media, he is on to a winner.

  • Comment number 9.

    More women and more controversy.

  • Comment number 10.

    Italian politics are brilliant, I think Berlusconi is a star.

  • Comment number 11.

    A 3rd house for Silvio B!!

    (For the tourists).

  • Comment number 12.

    1. At 1:07pm on 14 Dec 2010, Tychus Findlay wrote:
    Seriously? What is going on over there? All that news of what he gets up to and they still vote him in?

    Insane.


    Remember Bill Clinton?

  • Comment number 13.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi? More Wild parties, Women, Booze & fun for Berlusconi, more embarrassment for Italy and the EU as a whole.

  • Comment number 14.

    well, i don´t know about berlusconi, but it shows that italy has the best government money can buy.

  • Comment number 15.

    I would think the future holds more corruption, more sleaze and more embarrassment for Italy.
    You would have thought they would have learnt the first time he was in power.

  • Comment number 16.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 17.

    His career shows what can happen when a media magnate harbouring political ambitions gets his hands on the levers of State
    Italy works despite its government, the people have made accommodations to deal with weak, transitory central governments ,which is all they had since 1945.
    Silvio came to power on a platform to do things better, he failed to make it clear his aim was to make things better for himself and his cronies.

  • Comment number 18.

    well for politics it looks not so good, but on the other hand his social life will be more wild then ever, because he'll have more free time once his political career has ended.

  • Comment number 19.

    Please remove this HYS and replace it with something like Assange, like plan B, like VAT, like GE a foreign company buying up Wellstream a successful UK business gone to overseas ownership. What about the 'Swedish bomber and his UK connections??? need I list more topics of interest or is the BBC out of reporters???

  • Comment number 20.

    LOL. I once had a lunch with him and he was so lovely.I couldnt forget him for days. I dont know what future holds for him but I can burn the whole world down for him if needed..aaand who would really care?

  • Comment number 21.

    The problem arises when you start to consider the alternatives. Prodi, whom they call 'Mortadella' in Italy (it's a soft, fat, pink sausage - tastes quite nice!), has already failed miserably, so it seems that only extremists, of the right or left, realistically remain.

    Personally, although I could probably just about - by holding my nose - live with a Bossi or a Fini in charge, I'd prefer a sly creep like Berlusconi to the Italian left.

  • Comment number 22.

    IF I RULED THE WORLD..... I certainly would have picked Silvio as Minster of Recreation and Fun. Boy, this guy knows how to booggie. But I must say his choice of ladies to associate with borders on the indecent behaviour associated with people who find themselves on sex registers up and down the country. But I don't rule the world and the Italian public are sticking to Berlusconi, come what may. They obviously know better than we do when it comes to leadership. A mixture of "couldn't care less", arrogance and frivolity can't be all bad; life's too short, you know. Enjoy it, while you can !!

  • Comment number 23.

    Judging by the smile & the tan Berlusconi's future is both bright AND orange :)
    He's probably the only guy in the world who could fall in a bucket of kaka & come up smelling of Chanel no5 with a hooker on each arm.

  • Comment number 24.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 25.

    Who votes all these Buffoons into office?
    In Douglas Adams Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy, the president is a egotistical, over indulgent spoilt twit whos sole purpose, albeit unknowingly, is to distract attention from those that wield the real power and make the decisions.
    Its almost unbelievable that he survived the no-confidence vote. Is fact stanger than fiction?

  • Comment number 26.

    Post 19 @ 2:20pm on 14 Dec.

    Good points. BBC HYS questions do increasingly appear to be lurching between highly inflammatory questions/issues - or completely taking the rise, but not in an amusing way?

    What most people want, is a BBC HYS choice of pertinent political and economic questions, that actually reflect MORE the increasingly worrying issues in the UK, that, after all, the UK BBC license fee payers are experiencing right now?

    Naturally, we all need a little light relief from serious questions on HYS - but it's now going too far - and perhaps 'producing' itself out of existence?

    There is also a World HYS site, also funded by the licence fee.

  • Comment number 27.

    Obscurity hopefully. And if we must be inflicted with his image, less orange paste tan and pencilled in hair. What a clown Italy has running it.

  • Comment number 28.

    It is better to have Silvio as a constant force than the Italian politics I remember. It was just continual government collapses, fraud, mafia and chaos, with a smattering of Commies and Fascists. Now there is Silvio and his Benny Hill style sexy parties. It's win win.

  • Comment number 29.

    Msg 22. At 2:26pm on 14 Dec 2010, matt-stone wrote:


    "But I must say his choice of ladies to associate with borders on the indecent behaviour associated with people who find themselves on sex registers up and down the country."

    Ah, - but the age of consent in Italy is 14 - or 16 if the older person is a 'person with influence' over the younger such as a teacher!!!!! The mind positively boggles.

  • Comment number 30.

    Like all western economies, the Italians have lost direction. Economy in decline, indebted, a population unmotivated, brainwashed by religion and tv. Perhaps Berlusconi is a symbol, a half inflated life raft that we cling to as we drift in to oblivion.

  • Comment number 31.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 32.

    If one wishes to understand the very nature of folk like Berlusconi I suggest you watch an Italian film called Salo! There is a mass of trouble brewing in Italy.

  • Comment number 33.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 34.

    Probably prison.
    Maybe looking at the front end of a 12bore held by one of his spurned girl friends.

  • Comment number 35.

    That total Buffoon represents absolutely everything i hate and resent about the so called E.U and its leaders,closely followed by Sarkosy and then right behind him our very own Cameron.They are more interested in photo shoots and celebrity than running things effectively.

  • Comment number 36.

    :D ok, if "house rules" permits, I will shout "Constantine!" in addition to Gea Vox's whispers and will follow her like a good little sycophants!

  • Comment number 37.

    I would be more interested in discussing what my future holds in the light of the current economic & political climate in ENGLAND. I suppose though its safer to ask us what we think about some Italian egotistical Houdini. Saves stirring up the native prols.

  • Comment number 38.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi ?

    Some kind of transmitted disease probably, but really.... do we care ?

  • Comment number 39.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 40.

    Berlusconi is not important! Nevertheless it is a disaster for Europe when member states have governments which are so obviously being bought. Democracy is becoming a complete farce all over Europe. The political “class” live in a world of their own which has little to do with everyday reality. Not only in England are the people deliberately lied to, brain washing and manipulated news reports are now quite normal in all forms of media. We can be happy, that something like Wikileaks has arrived. This at least gives us hope for the future.

  • Comment number 41.

    He reminds me of those dark days when we had Thatcher. No matter how bad she got no one in her own party had the courage to stand up against her and it dragged on and on and the country suffered. She was more concerned about herself than her party or her country. Berlusconi is doing the same thing. It will be a great relief when the arrogant and useless man is gone. Italians deserve so much better.

  • Comment number 42.

    Berlusconi will probably survive as despite everything many Italians have an admiration for his life style and personal goings on. A majority of Italian men would like to be like him. Democracy doesn't always produce the best leaders or coherent policies. Neither for that do other forms of government.

  • Comment number 43.

    I will never understand what the Italians see in this philandering reprobate

  • Comment number 44.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 45.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

    Wine, women & song I suspect.

  • Comment number 46.

    If I were Italian I think I would be feeling very embarrassed now. Berlusconi is a joke. But then, if we compare him with our leaders maybe we can't say much. They might not spend the occasional night with young ladies, as allegedly Berlusconi is said to do. Though, maybe if they did they would have less time to devise ways of bringing the country to disaster.

  • Comment number 47.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 48.

    "
    10. At 1:43pm on 14 Dec 2010, frankiecrisp wrote:

    Italian politics are brilliant, I think Berlusconi is a star.
    "
    porn star maybe.

  • Comment number 49.

    2. At 1:08pm on 14 Dec 2010, Charles The Hammer wrote:
    The left wing hate Berlusconi with a passion - and for that reason alone he's one of my favourite politicians. I love it when he mocks the commies and leftists with such disdain in his speeches.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sound logical reasoning there then. I sure you have no objections when some on the left reciprocate by exalting Chavez, Castro and company on a similarly shallow basis.

  • Comment number 50.

    "Will he bring down the price of Pizza?

  • Comment number 51.

    burlesconi is not a joke and if he holds the key to italy's financial stake in europes busy trade,the italian government must be in fear of collapes,how is it possible in a free trade country like italy to ward off inquisiting eyes to the italian treasury.

  • Comment number 52.

    'Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has survived votes of confidence in the Italian Senate and lower house which had threatened to force him to step down. '

    Incredible, the man is actually invincible.

    How many western countries would actually vote to keep a genuine international laughing stock as the head of state?

    I know Burlesque-oni pretty much controls the Italian media but even so....

  • Comment number 53.

    "
    51. At 4:15pm on 14 Dec 2010, Hilda Williams wrote:

    burlesconi is not a joke
    "

    Funny.

  • Comment number 54.

    A colourful clown but my Italian friends say the other candidates are 'Mummies'. So it looks like the Italians, true to their temperaments, like some entertainment.

  • Comment number 55.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 56.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

    More women than you can shake a stick at if you'll pardon my double entendres matron.

  • Comment number 57.

    Zzzzzzz - huh wassat?! Oh the Beeb have a new HYS topic. Maybe this one will be relevant to at least one of the major news items from the past couple of weeks......

    ......oh.

    Ah well, back to sleep Zzzzzzzz.

  • Comment number 58.

    2. At 1:08pm on 14 Dec 2010, Charles The Hammer wrote:

    The left wing hate Berlusconi with a passion - and for that reason alone he's one of my favourite politicians. I love it when he mocks the commies and leftists with such disdain in his speeches.

    -----

    Hey,

    if you on the right want to idolise a man who has consistently and openly used his office for personal gain, then I think that rather confirms what the rest of us have suspected for years.

  • Comment number 59.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 60.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

    Pantomime, maybe?

  • Comment number 61.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 62.

    Compare to Tony Blair (the war/cash for peerages), and Gordon Brown (economy), Berlusconi has serious morals and competences.

  • Comment number 63.

    His survival really makes one wonder what sort of standards the Italians have.

    He is an embarassment worldwide, and makes Italians look very fickle.

  • Comment number 64.

    This already is his second but non-consecutive term of office. I suppose he can run a third term at his age still obsessing so many hidden women. Regrettably he has not yet legalised polygamy in Italy.

  • Comment number 65.

    As long as Italy keeps producing exotic supercars, fine wine, great food and chic women, (UK scruffs take note), I really don't care about their politics.

  • Comment number 66.

    The BBC chooses to debate yet another foreigner instead of the real issues affecting the citizens of the UK. Shame on you, you censor-driven BBC!

  • Comment number 67.

    ''1. At 1:07pm on 14 Dec 2010, Tychus Findlay wrote:
    Seriously? What is going on over there? All that news of what he gets up to and they still vote him in?

    Insane.''

    The reason he is voted in is simple. They admire a man that they wish that they could be like.

  • Comment number 68.

    Making billions more through corruption!

  • Comment number 69.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi? A life in pictures. Hollywood beckons.

  • Comment number 70.

    This is the unacceptable face of a Felliniesque society. Because the Italians are jokers, a character like him is tolerated. He would not survive in a Protestant country. Perhaps not even in Spain where they take their Catholocism more seriously.

  • Comment number 71.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

    --------------------------------------------

    Dont know. haven't had the chance to read his palms yet.

  • Comment number 72.

    It appears that he is the only Italian politician that can hold together a working coalition currently.

  • Comment number 73.

    3. At 1:13pm on 14 Dec 2010, scotty1694 wrote:

    i didn't realize the bbc was Italian?

    how about some relevant topics please?

    x-factor?
    some American diplomat 70% of people havent even heard off? and thats just today?

    how about EMA? how about the VAT rise next year? how about foreign aid?
    how about wales and scotland getting there degrees free at english taxpayers expense?

    and in a few days you come up with x factor, american diplomat and then expect UK people to be able to discuss italy's future? and what this vote means?

    seriously do your jobs properly!
    ________________________________________________________
    They are! Seriously deflecting attention from what really matters.

  • Comment number 74.

    Pzero 12 wrote;

    Tychus Findlay 1 Wrote;

    Seriously what is going on over there? all that news of what he gets up to and still they vote him in.
    -----------------------------------------------

    Remember Bill Clinton.
    -----------------------------------------------

    Remember Tony Blair.

  • Comment number 75.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

    Don't know and to be quite honest, don't care either. Why not ban him from entering Great Britain, as well?

  • Comment number 76.

    67. At 5:15pm on 14 Dec 2010, spin_with_a_grin wrote:
    ''1. At 1:07pm on 14 Dec 2010, Tychus Findlay wrote:
    Seriously? What is going on over there? All that news of what he gets up to and they still vote him in?

    Insane.''

    The reason he is voted in is simple. They admire a man that they wish that they could be like.
    ----------
    That is the Italians for you! All theatre & no substance!

  • Comment number 77.

    Wonderful! I love the Italians. They understand that politicians are not altruistic dogma-peddlers but venal, self-aggrandising sharks. Someday, we'll get the wake-up call in the UK.

  • Comment number 78.

    scotty1694 - sorry, but you cannot possibly be upset about the EMA being scrapped when you also showed in a thread a few weeks ago that you wanted disability benefits scrapped because a tiny minority of those who claim them are exaggerating their conditions. The EMA is worthless, I know that from experience. The BBC's 'job' is to provide topics that will be relevant to the majority, as opposed to just you. They don't always succeed, but I'm grateful that you're not part of the moderation crew because otherwise we'd have to put up with even more of your inane, poorly-presented drivel.

    As for Berlusconi, I don't like him personally but the people have spoken and he's still in power. Gordon Brown could have learned something from him.

  • Comment number 79.

    75. At 5:37pm on 14 Dec 2010, Dai the Tie wrote:
    What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

    Don't know and to be quite honest, don't care either. Why not ban him from entering Great Britain, as well?
    ----------
    You Boyos, ever so great with your voices, should be serenading him on his victory!

  • Comment number 80.

    ..........let him pack his trunk and run away to the circus. The man is a clown.

  • Comment number 81.

    Let me see. he won the votes of confidence so therefore he keeps on doing what he was doing. Naff question.

  • Comment number 82.

    43. At 3:44pm on 14 Dec 2010, 45minutewarning wrote:
    I will never understand what the Italians see in this philandering reprobate
    ---------------------------------------------
    Most Italians hate the dimwit - the streets of Rome are on fire tonight and the police are under attack!

  • Comment number 83.

    It probably means very little. After all, Silvio has proven time and time again that you can be only marginally less right wing than Mussolini and still get elected, so long as you own the entire media in the country you wish to be elected in.

  • Comment number 84.

    saving a lost cause in the shape of burlesconi is freezing the loose change in his pocket and sooner than later his friends will be forced to abandon the idea of a protective policy before it is too late.Government should always remain in the peoples' interest and warm to good intentions without becoming too penguinized.

  • Comment number 85.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 86.

    What a character, what a tyrant. All in the spirit of Italian leaders.

    He seems to have a great time, I wish I was him.

  • Comment number 87.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 88.

    We've got quite enough problems of our own without worrying about Berlusconi.

  • Comment number 89.

    82. At 6:19pm on 14 Dec 2010, The Ghosts of John Galt wrote:
    43. At 3:44pm on 14 Dec 2010, 45minutewarning wrote:
    I will never understand what the Italians see in this philandering reprobate
    ---------------------------------------------
    Most Italians hate the dimwit - the streets of Rome are on fire tonight and the police are under attack!
    ///////////////////

    Sounds somewhat similar to the UK wouldn't you say? The left out in force again. Can't get their own way.

    Personally I love the way he unabashedly sticks it to all of the PC, liberal pinkoes. He owns dominates the media to influence public opinion does he? A bit like the BBC. He loves women. So what. Beats the alternative.

  • Comment number 90.

    Its hard to prize people away from the levers of power..he has long overstayed his elected position and is holding on to power against the wishes of the people..

    Like in the UK political reform is needed and the old guard must go or be pushed.This is happening in the UK too...this country will be a blood bath too unless we have a new constitution written this time,a seven day sacking process for civil servants and no cuts to the poor, disabled, or old..

    Take note politicians in the UK unless you do what the people say you are going to be voted out very shortly!

  • Comment number 91.

    69. At 5:16pm on 14 Dec 2010, spin_with_a_grin wrote:
    What does the future hold for Berlusconi? A life in pictures. Hollywood beckons.
    ----------
    At his age & having fun with voluptuous nubiles? heart attack more like!
    Mama mia! the Pieta all over again. How sickly sentimental & juvenile, that sums up the Italians for you. Mama!

  • Comment number 92.

    What does the future hold for Burlesque-looni?

    Anyone who has ever conducted business with the Italians will know he is representative of many Italian businessmen, totally devoid of any integrity.

    Anyway, typical BBC trying to dumb down the news, why aren't we discussing the appalling treatment our legal system, sucking up to the USA via their proxy Sweden, is dishing out to Julian Assange by keeping him in virtual solitary confinement as a result of a dubious charge. I cringe when I hear the self righteous say "if you've done nothing you've nothing to fear"

  • Comment number 93.

    Silvio's the man ; can you imagine any of our bland ,lying apologies for politicians getting their hands on what he manages to get his on ? Even Bill Clinton must admire the man's prowess. He's also got a giant bank balance which must rankle with his opponents, who would give anything to join him , and say anything to put him down.

  • Comment number 94.

    What does the future hold for Berlusconi?

    Probably loads more young fillys.

    He does like to horse around in more ways than one!!!

  • Comment number 95.

    90. At 7:04pm on 14 Dec 2010, Rob jones wrote:
    Take note politicians in the UK unless you do what the people say you are going to be voted out very shortly!
    ///////////////

    I thought the people had just recently said? Voted out? In favour of who and what precisely? The people? They don't know what they want. Sheep.

  • Comment number 96.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 97.

    92. At 7:13pm on 14 Dec 2010, Jackturk wrote:
    What does the future hold for Burlesque-looni?

    Anyone who has ever conducted business with the Italians will know he is representative of many Italian businessmen, totally devoid of any integrity.
    //////////////////////

    Really? Try to say the same on HYS about Asians,blacks and of course gays. No chance.

  • Comment number 98.

    The man is a Buffoon.........he is to politics what Mickey Mouse is to the Nuclear Threat. Italy go to the polls the world is laughing at you!!

  • Comment number 99.

    Berlusconi has more political life left in him yet. I wouldn't bet against him being out of office, and back in again, within two years. He will retire from politics when he chooses to, not when it is chosen for him.

    I don't think the media argument holds up in today's world - Italians have as much access to free media as any other EU country, via the internet.

  • Comment number 100.

    97. At 7:36pm on 14 Dec 2010, Kentucker wrote:
    92. At 7:13pm on 14 Dec 2010, Jackturk wrote:
    What does the future hold for Burlesque-looni?

    Anyone who has ever conducted business with the Italians will know he is representative of many Italian businessmen, totally devoid of any integrity.
    //////////////////////

    Really? Try to say the same on HYS about Asians,blacks and of course gays. No chance.
    ----------
    Please let us have a field day on all the politically incorrect nonsense today-helps to redress the balance accumulated over the last 15 years'. We will see a saner society after that, honest. Please begin!

 

Page 1 of 3

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.