BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say
« Previous | Main | Next »

Koran burning threat: Your reaction

10:20 UK time, Wednesday, 8 September 2010

A small US church says it will go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of 9/11 despite international condemnation. What is your reaction to the plans?

President Obama 

condemned the plans in a television interview on ABC's Good Morning America programme. The president called the pastor's planned action a stunt, adding it would be a "recruitment bonanza" for al-Qaeda.

Gen David Petraeus, the top US commander in Afghanistan, warned troops' lives would be in danger if the Dove World Outreach Center in Florida went ahead with the burning.

But organiser, Pastor Terry Jones said: "We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam."

What will the diplomatic impact of this be for the US? Should the Church be allowed to carry out the book burning? Has the Church got too much media coverage?

This debate has now been closed. Thank you for your comments.

 

Comments

Page 1 of 18

  • Comment number 1.

    What about the burning of Bibles? Any condemnation from our side?

  • Comment number 2.

    I think that while this arrangment will no doubt cause media outrage it will also provide lulz on an epic scale, and Muslims the world over will be trolled.

  • Comment number 3.

    Book burning?

    Is this day and age?? honestly??

    I've said it once and will say it again, organised religion, in all its forms, belongs in the dark ages!

  • Comment number 4.

    What a backward bunch

  • Comment number 5.

    Each time an atrocity is committed 'in the name of Islam' I wait for Muslim leaders to condemn it.

    Now it's my turn to stand up and condemn an outrage being committed 'in the name' of my faith, Christianity.

    The fellowship of the Dove Outreach Center speak only for their own narrowmindedness and bigotry and do NOT represent or portray the Christian faith in any way, shape or form.

    As a Christian, I apologise to all Muslims for the offence caused by their actions. Please realise that they are not Christians in the true sense of the world, we are not like that.

  • Comment number 6.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 7.

    Brilliant - lets have a burning day here in Britain, only make it all religious books. Make it any publication that tries to brain-wash people into believing that some mythical being is going to enhance lives.

  • Comment number 8.

    The United States Army burned religious books and shrines throughout its 240 year history. Initially, they set fire to Anglican Bibles to infuriate British Troops during the Revolutionary War. In Vietnam, they destroyed religious books and temples belonging to Zen Buddhists. It is their belief that desecration demoralizes the enemy.

  • Comment number 9.

    Because if you burned a load of bibles in the deep south that would go down really well.

    Actually I don't care.

    There are some people who are determined to stoke the fires of conflict, you see them everyday on this website.

    Fortunately, in my blind optimism, I believe there are many, many more people, muslims, christians and miscellaneous who do not want conflict.

    People who just want quiet, normal lives

  • Comment number 10.

    we are confronted daily with Images of muslims burning our flags, chanting hatred to the west, taste of their own medicine, and why not ! i for one dont care about religon at all but believe we need to stop the current trend of '' we cant upset the muslims'' so i say good on them for standing up for what they believe in. we allowed preaching of hatred to the west by muslims living and working in the west..... they cant have it all can they. its about time we stood up to them and stopped pandering to their whims

  • Comment number 11.

    They need to shut this church down.

  • Comment number 12.

    Really could not care less. Some people in this world just live to be offended and it's every right thinking individuals job to do so when ever the opportunity arises.

  • Comment number 13.

    Book burning. That's what they've reduced themselves to. While I don't consider the Koran to be all that useful myself, I can't help but think any book burning of any kind is ... well... stupid. It really just makes them look like loony idiots. Surely they can come up with a better idea than this, perhaps an idea which doesn't make them look dumber than what they're trying to fight against?

  • Comment number 14.

    I think it is rather pathetic. Not all Muslims are responsible for 9/11 just as not all Christians are responsible for the crusades and not all Germans responsible for the nazi's. They are just giving excuses to extremists to carry out further attacks.

    I personally would wish them luck if they think there will be no reprisals for this. The extremists will have a field day.

  • Comment number 15.

    In a free country, there is no reason why anyone should be prevented from burning any book. This is a legitimate and harmless form of protest and cannot be influenced by what others believe about a particular book being "Sacred". There is absolutely no reason why non-believers should "Respect" a religious text. As a practising Christian , I am completely relaxed about people burning the Bible.

    We do, however, need to draw the line if individuals try to prevent others from practising a lawful religion.

  • Comment number 16.

    The mentality behind the pastors intended actions seem to me to be a disgrace and an insult to all those people of Islamic faith who do not agree with violence in any form.
    Does this mindless pastor not even heed the words of General Patraeus...or is it being done to further inflate the pastor's ego, and probably his financial gain.
    Perhaps the pastor should do his Koran burning in Afghanistan, Yemen or Saudi Arabia.....or does his faith not extend to risking his own life?

  • Comment number 17.

    In a worldwide climate of hatred of Islam, Islamofobia,(promoted and driven -guess by whom- for other purposes than religion)it is not surprising that someone, Terry Jones in this case, tries to ride the top of the wave to promote his own purposes, religious and otherwise. In other words there would be no Terry Jones without generalized Islamofobia. Forget Terry Jones, he is probably a clown, and look at the roots. Dare you?
    Richard

  • Comment number 18.

    There are times when I truly dispair of America and this is one of them.

    I am not Muslim, but Presbyterian. I consider the Islamic faith to be a branch of the same tree of faith that supports Christainity and the Jewish faith. I would not treat the Bible this way and therefore I should not treat the Koran that way either.

    I did not agree with the Islamic world about Salman Rushdie or Danish cartoons because I welcome criticism of faith (not only does criticism make believers more certain in their faith but gives us the opportunity to reach out to those who criticise) but book burning is not criticism it is prejudice

  • Comment number 19.

    Absolutely agree with comment number one. Can you imagine the outrage that would ensue if it was Bibles being burned? They'd probably have to illegally invade another Middle Eastern country or something. Fundamentalism is not a good thing, regardless of the faith it supposes to represent. In fact this example of Christian fundamentalism is more dangerous than any other, because America is the most powerful nation in the world, and the Christian far right have such a stronghold there. (Admittedly, not quite as bad as when the Bushes were around, but still).

  • Comment number 20.

    "1. At 10:32am on 08 Sep 2010, ian cheese wrote:

    What about the burning of Bibles? Any condemnation from our side?"

    It shouldn't need to be condemend, in fact we should just ignore it. Burning books is just childish and something that I really thought the West had left behind in the dark ages.

    To most people burning a book (any book) is just abohorrent and the way to deal with people burning Bibles is not to childishly react and say "neerr well I'm gonna burn your book too and tell my mum", it is to take the moral high ground ignore it.

    I'm not saying to ignore the possible terrorist threat or the threat to civil liberties, I'm just saying it's better to not stoop to the level of the people we're trying to distance ourselves from.

  • Comment number 21.

    It's a stupid action, as all that it is likely to do is inflame passions and result in a reaction by Islamic militants. You can see some religious group respoonding by burning down a church for example in an islamic country.
    The rationale for the Koran burning seems to be that the 9/11 bombers came from islamic countries, but fails to acknowledge that Muslims were also killed when the Twin Towers were hit, and the fact that the reason for the terrorism isn't really to do with religion, but anti american sentiments. The terrorists are just using religion to boost their support.

  • Comment number 22.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 23.

    Burning the Koran would only escalate matters. Tit for tat measures would ensue and the wholematter could trigger extremists to take matters into their own hands with innocent people caught up in the middle. The authorities should get church leaders, Muslim clerics, and religious advisers of all denominations need to defuse this potential time-bomb. Common-sense attitudes should be inculcated. Intolerance is a bane to society.

  • Comment number 24.

    Ridiculous and immature, both this church and any other authority who thinks that burning annother's religious text is justifiable.

    Unfortunately this is just one church which has gained far too much publicity. Hopefully the Muslum world will see these fools for the idiots they really are and not feel compelled to carry out some irrational retaliation against innocent people.

  • Comment number 25.

    Whilst one must acknowledge this event can be interpreted as an overtly anti-islamic act, and probably one with a negative effect on 'community relations', one cannot escape some feeling of satisfaction that American religous zealots are willing to poke their heads over the stockade and have a long overdue crack at the moslem fanatics who have so infiltrated western society to an extent that leaves most people agahast.

    One should accept that the proposed book-burning (if it actually goes ahead) is a passive act. The threatened response our politicians are warning of, is, however, forseen as both violent & murderous (again) from our moslem 'brothers'.

    I think that tells us as much about the moslems as it does about the Florida Evangelicals.

    To the best of MY knowledge, no one in the UK has ever voted in favour of the upsurge in western islamification, and all attempts to halt this are to be welcomed.

  • Comment number 26.

    This is no different to anyone burning a book of little red riding hood,

    I believe in America it is covered in the constitution by freedom of expression?

    So Hillary, isn't your constitution worth dying for?

    Also, BBC - you've removed the sentences from the article that say in Kabul demonstrators burnt an effigy of the priest - why?

    Would it show the hypocritical nature of those protesting?

    Burning an effigy of someone known to exist, because he is burning a book that states that a human was a prophet from god, which cannot be proven?

    Ridiculous

  • Comment number 27.

    Why do people who claim to represent a particular religion always seem to think their religion gives them a freecard to behave like a*seholes? It is counterproductive to their own cause, and more importantly worsens already fragile relations between different groups in society.

  • Comment number 28.

    This is not a good thing to be doing.

    Yet Christians are regularly killed in Muslim countries and the worlds media turns a blind eye... why is that?

  • Comment number 29.

    There are loads of other ideas to reflect a message.

  • Comment number 30.

    ""11. At 10:44am on 08 Sep 2010, MunichBob wrote:
    They need to shut this church down.""

    Who is the they and how would that sit with freedom of expression in a democracy?

  • Comment number 31.

    But organiser, Pastor Terry Jones said: "We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam."
    And the clear message is, 'whatever depths you're prepared to stoop to; we'll top it'.

  • Comment number 32.

    If muslims have any sense, they'll just ignore this.

    In fact, muslims with any sense ought to be embarrassed by the hotheads who are going off on one about it.

    After all, it does look bad. Widespread indifference over, say, Darfur and Bosnia etc, and riots over Danish cartoons and American koran burners.

    We regularly see muslim demonstrators burning our flags, and we don't seem to care.

    The muslim world could and should learn from that. But they won't....

  • Comment number 33.

    Fantastic publicity generating idea. I'm sure the bloke will end up a rich man due to this stunt.

    People are welcome to their religion if they want, personally it's not for me but I respect the right to freedom of thought. When idiots like this start whipping up hatred it really does the world no good.

    I'd like to ask him, aside from obvious financial gains, what positives burning someone elses holy book will do? Will Muslims turn around and go "yeah you know what, we were wrong all along." Will his god favour him because he incites hatred? etc etc.

  • Comment number 34.

    One group of religious nutters 'sending a message' to another group of religious nutters. That won't kick off will it.

    I think pastor Jones should visit Afghanistan and tell them to their face if he means it - not in the comfort of his own backyard. He can say hello to the troops that are going to have to deal with the outcome while he's there.

    And as usual lots of 'it doesn't affect me, so I don't care - ers' replies.

  • Comment number 35.

    I think Pastor Terry Jones should befriend the radical Muslim leaders we hear about all the time.
    He seems to be very similar to them.

  • Comment number 36.

    What a thoroughly un-Christian thing to do!

    This may be standard practice in the Islamic world to act provocatively and aggressively, but Christians should know better.

    My major concern is going to be for minority religious communities in Islamic countries, such as christians, jews, hindus, sikhs etc that are going to get the aggressive fall out from this as inevitably they do.

    I would also hope that the wider Islamic community are able to to see that this is a group of 50 and not indicative of the global Christian community, though I doubt it...

    Am I the only person who seems to think that the whole world, on all sides has just gone nuts?

  • Comment number 37.

    Publicity is what these people want and the more publicity they get the more anger it will engender, so why is the BBC playing into the hands of these trouble makers

  • Comment number 38.

    What is most stunning is the bias in reporting

  • Comment number 39.

    Although the actions of this church do outline the rather disturbing trend in the US highlighted bt the Ground Zero mosque protests.

    That a growing number of people in US (and probably here too) lack the rational intelligence to differentiate between the vast majority of muslims, and the extreemists.

  • Comment number 40.

    I'm sorry but if western countries can ban and arrest people on the grounds of inciting racial hatred then this "Pastor", Terry Jones, needs to be treated accordingly under the same laws.

    Regardless of whether you think the burning of Christian Bibles and western flags by Muslims is right or wrong that does not mean we should do likewise.

    This man and the people who will be taking part in this do NOT speak for me and my religion!

  • Comment number 41.

    But,in my view, all the Organised Religions have, in their doctrines, extreme discrimination against other religions as a reason to exist. The 9/11 terrorists and the Koran burners are simply following their interpretation of words in their books. I paraphrase these, but in the Bible it says 'To worship any other God than Jehovah is an act of Whoredom' and in the Koran it says that 'All who follow any other God than Allah are in league with the Devil'. I suspect that none of this is about goodness or right and wrong but about tribalism and is part of the instinctive nature of man. When two such strong hoarders of power as Organised Religion and instinctive tribalism come together it is like putting a match to gunpowder and this is conflict that can never end because it is the nature of man.

  • Comment number 42.

    shows that Terry Jones, the Floridan preacher, and his followers are as ill-suited to modern society as their Taliban counterparts (who went to graet lengths to destroy the Buddha statues), intolerant maniacs, all of them.

    all religious fundamentalism is poison for our societies.

  • Comment number 43.

    Although I believe that the Koran is illegible mumbo jumbo I cannot agree with anyone burning books. This obnoxious but fortunately small Christian church are no better than those they wish to insult.

    Farenheit 451.

  • Comment number 44.

    Pastor Terry Jones is the Christian equivalent of Osama Bin Laden, fuelling racist hatred and bigotory. He would be unable to do what he is proposing to do in the UK but I am not surprised if he can so act with impunity in the U.S. How would the Pastor react to memebers of other faiths burning the Bible simply because they saw him as the radical arm of Christainity.

    Pastor Jones denies his own Faith by his actions and is not in my view a follower of Christ. He should understand that we shall all be judged eventually and that death is no aquittal from the sins committed during life, May God have mercy on his soul.

  • Comment number 45.

    On the one hand we have a bunch of idiots who want to burn books, knowing what sort of reaction it could provoke. On the other hand, we have another bunch of idiots threatening violence because the first bunch of idiots are planning to burn some books. A case of two wrongs which could end up causing a whole world of wrong.

  • Comment number 46.

    19. At 10:51am on 08 Sep 2010, Rosie Bryant


    You are clearly unaware that it is Christains who are regularly burned in other countries for their faith, not just the bible - Christian tolerance is rarely matched by atheists or Fundamentalist Muslims

  • Comment number 47.

    The USA prides itself on religious tolerance, and so should stamp hard on this disgraceful plan. As a Christian I would feel outrage at any group proposing a mass burning of the Holy Bible; I would expect Muslims to feel the same about burning the Koran.
    Such a reaction to 9/11 is as stupid as invading Iraq. The Koran does not represent those who attacked on 9/11, and they don't represent mainstream Islam. Why not just burn effigies of Osama bin Laden, who has done more harm to the cause of Islam than the USA ever did?

  • Comment number 48.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 49.

    Apart from the small amount of useful heat produced, isn't this just needless pollution? Surely it would be better to pulp them and use them as palimpsest?

  • Comment number 50.

    Perhaps the best things is to have two bonfires side by side, one for the crazy Christians to burn the Quran, the other for the crazy Muslims to burn the bible. The atheists can toast marshmallows; yum. Problem solved.

  • Comment number 51.

    These people are nutters they are no different to the people who flew the planes into the twin towers.

  • Comment number 52.

    Even for someone who believes that multiculturalism and open door immigration have been disastrous blunders, enforced on an unwilling public with no electoral authority, this book burning will serve purpose.

  • Comment number 53.

    Vast majority of muslims don't like the idea of burning Korans but will ignore this event. However, it does play into the hands of the radicals as events like this are food for their rallying people to their cause.

  • Comment number 54.

    'An eye for an eye' Old Testament, 'Turn the other Cheek' New Testament.
    Would Christ have supported this action?
    The answer is probably no based on just this one of his teachings.
    Would this American Pastor condone the burning of witches and heretics as well?
    Where does this stop, 1st the Muslims then the Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Bahais, Shinto's, Unbeleivers and finally any Christian denomination apart from his own.
    This sort of religeous intolerance is what most faiths have been trying to overcome during my lifetime and before.
    This action by an American Church could even effect the Middle East Peace protest.
    He has the right to protest but surely his God would come up with something better than this.
    Hitler burned books he didn't agree with. Is the Pastor any better than him?

  • Comment number 55.

    Go for it, then the muslims can burn a few bibles.

    Everyone will be happy and the world will keep turning.

  • Comment number 56.

    Christianity and Islam - both are NO different to each other. While they both play out this petty war against each other, they don't realise they are both batting for the same team - completely radical idiots.

    Let them do it - I'm just glad I'm not affiliated with either!

  • Comment number 57.

    Shades of Nazi Germany

  • Comment number 58.

    8. At 10:41am on 08 Sep 2010, Dustin83v wrote:
    The United States Army burned religious books and shrines throughout its 240 year history. Initially, they set fire to Anglican Bibles to infuriate British Troops during the Revolutionary War. In Vietnam, they destroyed religious books and temples belonging to Zen Buddhists. It is their belief that desecration demoralizes the enemy.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Attempts to psychologically demoralise your enemy is not exclusive to the Americans and has been widely practiced by every aggressor throughout history, some infinately worse than others and indeed a great deal worse than the Americans.

    I find it interesting and somewhat questionable that you choose to make your point using the Americans, when there are more startlingly obvious examples....

    hmmmmmmmmm.......!!!

  • Comment number 59.

    What about Christians living in the Middle East, being killed just because they are not Muslims, Yes this Church is only trying to put themselves in the news, but it is only a book and if the Muslim world Faith is in a book they have not got any hope for the future.

  • Comment number 60.

    20. At 10:51am on 08 Sep 2010, Jamie Cole wrote:

    "1. At 10:32am on 08 Sep 2010, ian cheese wrote:

    What about the burning of Bibles? Any condemnation from our side?"

    It shouldn't need to be condemend, in fact we should just ignore it. Burning books is just childish and something that I really thought the West had left behind in the dark ages.

    To most people burning a book (any book) is just abohorrent and the way to deal with people burning Bibles is not to childishly react and say "neerr well I'm gonna burn your book too and tell my mum", it is to take the moral high ground ignore it.

    I'm not saying to ignore the possible terrorist threat or the threat to civil liberties, I'm just saying it's better to not stoop to the level of the people we're trying to distance ourselves from.

    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''

    Actually its something that still happens in the US, and around the world.
    Pastor Jones jons the exhaulted ranks of those who have destroyed irriplacable libraries for which the world is culturally poorer, and stands in line with all who have no better way to publicise their hatred.

    He is a fool and does not represent the majority of Christians who are moderate and likely get on with their neighbours of other faiths.

  • Comment number 61.

    Everytime a perceived atrocity is commited by the West, we see on Sky News and the BBC burning effigies of Tony Blair, George Bush, Barrack Obama etc, with various people stamping on copies of the Bible, the Union Jack and the Stars & Stripes. And this is ok?
    We regularly see mobs staging fake hangings of effigies of politicians with placards inciting murder and beheadings of our troops (in Luton!!!!), calling them baby killers.
    I'm all in favour of this fantastic idea. Freedom of speech/expression etc. If its good for the goose, then its good for the gander.

  • Comment number 62.

    Surely publicly burning the Koran would be incitement to religious intolerance. Is this not illegal? It is certainly not morally justified. Daft beggars.

  • Comment number 63.

    what would Jebus do?

  • Comment number 64.

    31. At 11:01am on 08 Sep 2010, Neil Probert wrote:
    But organiser, Pastor Terry Jones said: "We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam."
    And the clear message is, 'whatever depths you're prepared to stoop to; we'll top it'.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Booking burning is not even remotely compariable in horror or offense, compared to the televised beheading of Ken Bigley and others who have suffered so appallingly at the hands of fanatics.

  • Comment number 65.

    In fifty years time when books are a thing of the past, would an e-book have to display a page from a religious text before it is destroyed, in order to have the same effect and this action seems to have?

  • Comment number 66.

    Here is yet more evidence, if any were needed, that religion is the prime cause of unrest in the world.

    This latest episode is a clear demonstration that one group of people who believe in something no-one has ever seen is opposed to another group of people who believe in something they have never seen, either.

    Why can't these zealots preach peace instead, accept that others have, and are perfectly entitled to, different opinions, and simply grow up?

  • Comment number 67.

    I expect this is a stunt to see how grown up islam is. the answer of course is 'not very'. I don't see a problem with burning books, flags or anything else, its not going to get much of a reaction in the West,hence why we laugh when screaming flag burning muslims have a little tantrum.

    Many Muslims simply do not know how to react when they are faced with the exact same actions that they do, islam has a very long way to go before it realises no one is going to take any notice of them.

  • Comment number 68.

    47. At 11:10am on 08 Sep 2010, Rabbitkiller wrote:
    The USA prides itself on religious tolerance, and so should stamp hard on this disgraceful plan. As a Christian I would feel outrage at any group proposing a mass burning of the Holy Bible; I would expect Muslims to feel the same about burning the Koran.
    Such a reaction to 9/11 is as stupid as invading Iraq. The Koran does not represent those who attacked on 9/11, and they don't represent mainstream Islam. Why not just burn effigies of Osama bin Laden, who has done more harm to the cause of Islam than the USA ever did?

    ==================================

    LOL.

    BUT your religious belief actually BELIEVES in ENFORCING the burning of non believers and naughty people in a mystical afterlife!

    A book is a book, but I personally find such beliefs in which such attrocious pain is generously inflicted upon another is an attrocity far far worse than burning ANY book.

  • Comment number 69.

    Incredible that this man would go ahead with this nonsense in spite of Gen. David Petraeus warning that it will further endanger the troops in Afghanistan.

    What a selfish, ignorant, hate-filled man.

    The media should take every opportunity top point out that this is a lunatic fringe church with 50 members, not unlike the Westboro "God Hates Fags" Baptist Church of the equally delightful Pastor Fred Phelps.

  • Comment number 70.

    When I read this I had too chuckle. Not at the fact that some weird Americans are setting fire to the Koran but NATO's fear that it will antagonise the Taliban. Aren't we engaged in a war with them and trying to kill them? Correct me if I'm wrong but two more British soldiers died this weekend as a result of the Taliban. Now if we'd set fire to copies of Mein Kampf in 1940 would that have made Hitler madder. I didn't think so. Islamic extremists are basically that. Utter loons just up for a fight. They are terrorists. If Muslims living in the free world can't take a joke then maybe they should all move to Islamic countries. Oh by the way for the Muslim readers, Great Britain is not Muslim country.

  • Comment number 71.

    If the press hadn't made the news global, and the reactionaries in Muslim countries had ignored the idiot, as that's all he is, then he'd have had no audience, except for the odd people that like that sort of thing, who would have to have gone there to see it, then he probably wouldn't be doing it.

    If Muslims are insecure enough to get as upset as news reels suggest, then the rock upon which that church is built needs some underpinning.

    Ignore him, don't protest, don't rise, that's what he wants. He should be arrested for inciting racial/religious hatred. But then again no, there are too many 'martyrs', we don't need any more.

  • Comment number 72.

    "Where they burn books, they will ultimately also burn people"

    Heinrich Heine who wrote this was actually talking about the Inquisition burning the Koran, although it has become more famous when Heine (who was a German Jew) work was burnt by the Nazis in the 1930s.

  • Comment number 73.

    This man MUST be stopped. He thinks he is exercising his "freedom of speech", but all he is doing is fanning the flames of radical Islam. His actions will make us ALL more susceptible to terror attacks.

    If he was based in the UK, he would be jailed for race hatred. But America has this crazy constitution, where anyone can say whatever they like, regardless of the consequences.

  • Comment number 74.

    ian cheese wrote:

    What about the burning of Bibles? Any condemnation from our side?

    The Qu'ran teaches that the Torah and the Bible are also the word of god and are to be respected as such. I therefore doubt that you would find many cases of the bible being burnt by muslims.

    This burning of the Qu'ran by a Christian Pastor and his followers in a "world outreach centre" is rightfully being condemned worldwide. It is insulting to all muslims not just religious extremists. They're feeding the fire they wish to quench.

    If they go ahead with it they should all be locked up for inciting religious hatred.

    Personally I'm getting completely sick of the intolerance spewing from the mouths of religious fanatics on all 3 sides. We should dump them all in the holy land and let them fight out their petty grievances away from the rest of the world.

  • Comment number 75.

    Phillip of England #58.

    "..not exclusive to the Americans ... a great deal worse than the Americans. I find it interesting and somewhat questionable that you choose to make your point using the Americans, when there are more startlingly obvious examples...."

    could that be because Terry Jones is an US American, and preaches in Florida?

    "hmmmmmmmmm.......!!!"

    indeed. [shakes head]

  • Comment number 76.

    Actually, why not burn ALL religious books once and for all?! What started out as honoring life and its connections, has metastasized into a cancer called Religion, with their exclusivist outlook and intolerance of the 'other'. Nothing divides us as much as religions and their antiquated philosophies.

  • Comment number 77.

    How infantile! How childish! What playground antics between two radical parts of some of the oldest religions are these, and where will it end? While religion in general can favourably influence moral values in society, these kinds of antics DO NOT!

    We almost need a Hollywood situation- I'm thinking of the film 'Independence Day'!

  • Comment number 78.

    Without doubt, this church is either short-sighted, stupid, or seeking publicity. That people will die because of this is inevitable and deeply tragic.

    What worries me, however, is not so much this small congregation as to what they may possibly represent: Are they just the noisy tip of a terrible American iceberg?

    This action represents as thorough a moral bankruptcy as the old southern churches who refused to let black people be members but nonetheless sent missionaries to black Africa.

    I would also love to be able to get the people using this opportunity to blacken the name of all Christians to understand that this madness runs absolutely contrary to a huge number of the tenets of Christian ethics. These people are reacting out of nationalism, not their reported Christianity. I cannot think of a single New Testament scripture that could be mangled into somehow supporting this. Indeed, retribution of this kind is strictly forbidden.

    I pray someone gets them to see that they are causing the world to sully the name of their Lord and repent in abject shame.

  • Comment number 79.

    ''1. At 10:32am on 08 Sep 2010, ian cheese wrote:
    What about the burning of Bibles? Any condemnation from our side?''

    Never. It's funny, but nobody goes on riots and goes out killing people when American flags are burnt.


  • Comment number 80.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 81.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 82.

    Pastor Terry Jones said: "We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam."

    A message from the radical element of Christanity.

    I wonder if he see's the Irony of that statement? And I'm interested to know what that message is; "We can be as backwards and stupid as you are" "We don't think there should be religious freedom either".

  • Comment number 83.

    A small US church says it will go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of 9/11 despite international condemnation. What is your reaction to the plans?

    - What an odd story. My feeling is... Utterly disgusted.

    What will the diplomatic impact of this be for the US?

    - Well I’d ask the question what has this got to do with the US? And the answer is... not a lot really, if this happened anywhere in the world I’d not hold it against the country but rather the group who carried out the act.

    Should the Church be allowed to carry out the book burning?

    - Are you crazy! No they should not, it does not matter what is said in the Koran or any other religious material around the world for that matter. If I held a copy of something I did not like then sure I can burn it, who’s going to care and what difference would it make. But the Church is representing many people around the world.

    Has the Church got too much media coverage?
    - Maybe, but so what if it does or doesn’t... I can always flick the channel or turn the page.

  • Comment number 84.

    22. At 10:54am on 08 Sep 2010, PMGlenThomas wrote:

    This action will send out a clear message. You will not force your regime upon us.

    But you force your regime upon them, Iraq and Afghanistan?

  • Comment number 85.

    Why do you think these extremist Christian groups are speaking out? If no "normal" people raise their voices in opposition to this - we will lose all of our rights because the Islamists will take over. We are decadent and having a falling birthrate - they are strongly into their values and have many children - just think about it. They can burn our flag all the time and burn effigies of our PM's and the American presidents - but we don't respond with threats of murder. But if we dare to question their ideology, Mohammed, or even dare to make a cartoon of the guy, we have loads of people threatening beheadings - people who aren't even in Al-Qaeda but are "normal" Muslims. Religion of peace my foot.

  • Comment number 86.

    Let me guess. They're not "real" Christians?

    They are allowed to burn whatever books they want as long as they have legally obtained them and have permission by the county to create a large fire. Let's hope any response from Muslims goes no further than the burning of Bibles.

  • Comment number 87.

    These people are acting out of ignorance and should understand that their actions could put the lives of Americans and their allies at risk.

    Surely they can find a less provocative way to express their freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is a right in our western culture, but not when you are putting the lives of thousands of inocent people at risk.

    If they feel so strongly, they should go to a predominantly muslim country to carry out this act, and only put their own lives on the line. But I doubt they'd have the stomach for that.

    The majority of muslims around the world do not support the devastating actions of 9/11.

  • Comment number 88.

    The Koran isn't burned yet but they have already burned US flags and yet thats ok...I was against burning of the Koran but now I've just changed my mind...Don't they realize for some who don't believe in Gods probably find the flag as dear ???

  • Comment number 89.

    50. At 11:13am on 08 Sep 2010, KassyW wrote:
    Perhaps the best things is to have two bonfires side by side, one for the crazy Christians to burn the Quran, the other for the crazy Muslims to burn the bible. The atheists can toast marshmallows; yum. Problem solved.

    --------------------------------

    What an excellent idea!


  • Comment number 90.

    22. At 10:54am on 08 Sep 2010, PMGlenThomas wrote:
    "I am offended by the stoning of women,"

    I hope you are also offended by the stoning of men.

  • Comment number 91.

    ''What will the diplomatic impact of this be for the US?''
    Frankly, I don't think that it will make the slightest bit of difference.
    It seems that the USA is expected to accomodate Muslim sensitivities when dealing with Muslims, and at the same time is expected to accomodate and excuse Muslim anger when Muslims burn US flags and effigies in the name of Islam. There is the usual politically correct argument that civilised people are supposed to behave better. In a way, I suppose that is the correct way of dealing with such issues.

  • Comment number 92.

    I think this non-event is just a storm in a teacup, there is no way they are going out the threat, it is just a publicity stunt.


    .......I can see the suicide vests being readied now......

  • Comment number 93.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 94.

    And Jesus said Forgive them. They know not what they do.

  • Comment number 95.

    I have just burnt Grimm's Hansel and Gretal in protest at the epidemic of fatness sweeping the world caused by expansionism of houses built with sweets.

    Who will join me in confectionary crusade?

  • Comment number 96.

    yes it may be viewed as 'childish' but at the end of the day the koran is just the same as any other book

    same as the bible - just another book

    now it these books had historical significance eg a Gutenberg bible then outrage would be quite right

    but these are copies of the koran from the likes of wh smith's etc

    BUT

    the muslims love this - they WANT to be insulted - plays right into their small enfeebled minds as do cartoons etc

    if someone burnt an effigy of the pope there would be no cries for jihad!

    the pakistani's who want our money/help not long ago burned effigies of David Cameron - did we stop giving them money for the floods? - NO

  • Comment number 97.

    Muslims kill Christians and burn down Christian churches in Indonesia and Nigeria,why is the news media not making a big story about these facts? Muslims kill and persecute Christians in their home countries, while demanding their religious freedoms in the civilized world.Why dont we hear more anti Muslim statements in Christian or secular countries?Why are they afraid?

  • Comment number 98.

    Why does the media find it impossible to ignore such people? These non-entities and their piffling so-called church would be unknown to virtually everyone on the planet if it weren't for the attention that they receive from the media - but they've now become a global news story. Deprived of publicity, they're nothing.

  • Comment number 99.

    ''5. At 10:39am on 08 Sep 2010, Megan wrote:
    Each time an atrocity is committed 'in the name of Islam' I wait for Muslim leaders to condemn it......................''

    How many decades are you prepared to wait?

  • Comment number 100.

    55. At 11:17am on 08 Sep 2010, OwainGlyndwr wrote:
    "Go for it, then the muslims can burn a few bibles.

    Everyone will be happy and the world will keep turning."

    _________________________________________________________

    very naive I think. Burning a bible will be the least of their worries. Perhaps Pastor Terry might change his mind when he's confronted with the threat of a suicide bomber and his clearly deranged congregation is in danger.
    Oops! There goes the flock.
    These people are every bit as dangerous and as "evil" as the people they're try to accuse.

    Mind you, Americans TWICE voted for GW Bush, so anything's possibilificated

 

Page 1 of 18

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.