BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say
« Previous | Main | Next »

Should we permanently stay on British Summer Time?

08:40 UK time, Friday, 13 August 2010

Britons could be putting the clocks forward permanently after the prime minister signalled he would consider a plan to introduce permanent summertime. Do you support the idea?

The plans are to be debated in the Commons later this year and speaking to tourism leaders in London, the prime minister said he could be willing to make the switch.

However, permanent summertime is unlikely to be well received in northern England and Scotland where an extra hour in the mornings would see the sun rising after 9am meaning children facing the prospect of starting school in the dark.

Do you think Britain should be on permanent summertime? Are you in northern England and Scotland and what is your reaction? Do you think the country would work with two timezones?

This debate is now closed. Thank you for your comments.

Comments

Page 1 of 5

  • Comment number 1.

    yea i thinks its an excellent idea :)
    it would mean lighter evenings and i don't think darker mornings are really a problem tbh!!

  • Comment number 2.

    The same prime minister also thinks we were the junior partner in 1940,what does he know about anything?Now that he has suggested it I am immediately against the idea.

  • Comment number 3.

    What a stupid idea. Why cause chaos for no reason - hasn't Cameron got more important things to be thinking about right now?

    Then again, since when have Tories ever cared about Scotland and Northern England?

  • Comment number 4.

    Do you think Britain should be on permanent summertime?

    Yes. Yes I do.

    In fact lets just go the whole hog and abolish winter altogether.

    Who needs those freezing, dark days when it could be wet & tepid all year round?

  • Comment number 5.

    YES - the idea of putting the clocks back an hour for winter was to enable school children to go to school in the light. As most now are ferried by mummy in a car or picked up by taxi or bus, that really isn't a necessity any more. Furthermore, we now have twonker councils turning off street lights to save money, that is totally irresponsible, best way for councils to save money would be to sack all the senior officers within the council (you know them, huge salaries for poncing about at meeting after meeting with little to show for their ill gotten gains), there would then be loads of money available, oodles more spare for additional safety measures to be put in place.

  • Comment number 6.

    Here's an idea, lets just use GMT all year round! You know, the real time!

    As someone living in the south but who grew up in the midlands this looks like yet another case of Cameron opening his mouth before thinking thruogh what the effects of any policy will be outside of the south of England.

    His kids will never have to walk to school in the dark, even if he'd never become PM they'd have been driven, by chauffer for "safey" or some other reason.

    Cameron needs to realise that there is a reason why the UK isn't in the worlds top 5 tourist destinations, it's a very simple reason, all he needs to do is leave his house, and look at the sky, has he notice the WEATHER! I dunno, maybe that's just too obvious, or maybe it's because all his rich mates spend half their lives in southern France and Spain, which are 2 of our competitors!

    Cameron doesn't have a clue!

  • Comment number 7.

    "However, permanent summertime is unlikely to be well received in northern England and Scotland where an extra hour in the mornings would see the sun rising after 9am meaning children facing the prospect of starting school in the dark."

    Then don't start school at 09:00, start at 10:00. It makes no difference at all what numbers the hands on the clock point at, if it's dark and dangerous don't do it. Wait until it's light. You don't have to be a slave to the clock, just do things at different times to suit you. There is no need for two time zones.

  • Comment number 8.

    It doesn't matter what the British decide about BST, the EU will have the final say, or possibly the clerics in Saudi will have a say bearing in mind they want GMT to be dumped in favour of Mecca Mean Time.

  • Comment number 9.

    "Britons could be putting the clocks forward permanently after the prime minister signalled he would consider a plan to introduce permanent summertime."

    I'm struggling to see in the article where Cameron specifically said he would consider a plan to introduce permanent summertime. He says no such thing of the sort - merely that he will consider all proposals. Shoddy reporting BBC.

  • Comment number 10.

    England should do what's best for England - end of. And the decision should be made exclusively by English MPs.

  • Comment number 11.

    We tried that from 1968 to 1971, under the name "British Standard Time". I well remember the dark mornings, and how dangerous it was, particularly for schoolchildren. The UK is in its correct time zone. It is the countries of Western Europe (France, Belgium, etc.) that are in the wrong zone, having adopted Central European Time in order to be in the same zone as Germany and Italy.

  • Comment number 12.

    I seem to remember this all being tried out in the mid 1960's, and after a year, following a free Parliamentary vote, it was thrown out. If we really want everybody to get up an hour earlier throughout the year, why not be honest and say so? Then we could stick to GMT and stop the pretence of having an extra hour of daylight!

  • Comment number 13.

    Makes sense to me, although I suspect there may be issues with existing equipment relying on the time change. It seems such a wasted effort changing everything in the house, clocks, heating, etc.

    Here in Scotland the schools will be starting when it is still dark, but then they'll be finishing when it is still light (unlike now in December), so I don't understand that argument. But I'm sure the SNP will not want to miss this opportunity to have a go at 'London politics'.

  • Comment number 14.

    Agree completely (I do live in the South though) - perhaps we could have two different time zones (most people seem to live in the south east!)

    Failing that, why don't they let the kids have a lie in in the Winter months? We are after all talking about an extreme that only lasts a few weeks rather than the entire winter?!

  • Comment number 15.

    Not this again. I suppose if there are more votes in it for him in the south he will go for it and stuff the north and Scotland.

    But it will make the south much darker too on winter mornings with millions having to get up before it's light. All the evidence is that this is unnatural, like night work, and bad for people's health. (As well as them hating it). However, once they're at work the argument will be no doubt that they can now work longer...

  • Comment number 16.

    I enjoy astronomy as a hobby but because of light pollution and climate its getting more difficult to enjoy my hobby. Another hour of daylight in the evenings will kill it altogether. For another few months either side of the summer its not going to be worth setting up my telescope when I have to be up for work at 6am next morning.

  • Comment number 17.

    BST is a good compromise for the country as a whole. This is the strongest argument not to change. They wouldn't be debating this if Westminster was in Newcastle.

    Leave it alone.

  • Comment number 18.

    Oh goody - another great idea to strengthen the case for Scotland to go it alone. This one's been handed to the SNP on a Conservative sliver slaver.

  • Comment number 19.

    Yes.

  • Comment number 20.

    No. We should stay in our proper time zone, GMT.

  • Comment number 21.

    I wonder who will be the first person to say that Cameron has put the UK clocks back to:

    a) The Thatcher years of the 80s
    b) The Dark Ages.

    [And no, this posting does count.]

  • Comment number 22.

    There is no reason why we should not remain on BST. In fact, for the period of time from October to March we would be on the same time as the rest of Europe. The original arguments regarding safety are today probably not valid, as most towns and cities have well lit streets. Country areas would see little difference.

  • Comment number 23.

    This joker comes up with more and more crazy ideas every day he is clearly out of touch with the real world the rest of us live in,if you like extra sunshine get out of bed earlier in the morning.Those of us who live in scotland are more likely favour indepedence if you try to impose this idea upon us. We have plenty of sunshine during the summer if tourists want more sunshine the should come here instead we dont need daylight saving of any sort,the country lived just fine without it for centuries ,it was laziness to introduce it in the first place instead of starting work an hour earlier during the summer months to achieve the same purpose, after all the hours of daylight stay the same just varying by the seasons of the year.

  • Comment number 24.

    I can never work this argument out - however, since it probably does not effect us in the south one way or another, why not just let the Scottish farmers decide?

  • Comment number 25.

    Certainly not.

    When they tried it in the early seventies I was working shifts in Dundee. To get to work I had to get up in freezing weather at four o'clock to get to work for six. It didn't start to get light till after ten o'clock in the morning. We are designed for getting up during the day not the night.

    I imagine the idea for keeping to British summer time all year round is to keep Londoners happy. What happens if the Saudis get their way? A news report yesterday said that they are claiming that Mecca should be the meridian for all time keeping.

    Time zones change across the world for a very good reason. Europe is an hour different from Britain. Is the next thing going to be to set our clocks to Brussels time or even Berlin time?

  • Comment number 26.

    Having been around the last time this happened - no I do not. Even in Southern Scotland it was dark in the mornings till well after 10.00. Imagine a bad winter with lots of ice and snow, children trying to get to school in the dark and do remember some people already get up in the dark to go to work - we don't all start at 9.00.

    Anyway, hasn't this government got more pressing problems to deal with. When are these stupid soundbites going to stop and some meaningful work get done.

  • Comment number 27.

    I agree it should be changed. This is the first bright idea David Cameron's had since he became P.M. Hope he keeps it up with more practical sense.

  • Comment number 28.

    Now I really love stargazing. It's not easy in the summer because the sky is so bright you already have to wait until after midnight to see anything. If the day is shifted around to make the evenings brigher, there'll be no chance of seeing anything on a work night!

    However, I accept that this is quite a petty complaint - to most people at least, so lets weigh up the benefits of the plan,

    "The English tourism industry says the change in timezone would boost tourism. "

    How? I dont know about anyone else, but when I go on holiday I rarely make timezone a factor in my choice of destination! "India looks lovely! but oh no, they're 5 and a half hours ahead of us. shame. Ah well, bognor regis again then!"

    "And some environmental groups are also in favour, arguing that it would mean less use of electric lights and reduce Britain’s carbon emissions."

    Has anyone thought this statement through at all? Surely any moron can see that moving the dark time from evening to morning will not cut the use of electric light, it will just mean we use the lights on the morning instead of the evening!

    "It also supported by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, which estimates that lighter evenings could save hundreds of lives a year by reducing the number of evening traffic accidents."

    Again, yes there may be fewer accidents in the new, lighter evenings but surely there will be many more accidents in the new darker mornings. With tired bleary eyes and maybe a hangover, the morning commute can already be pretty dangerous, now try doing it in the dark!

    I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing any real advantages to this plan.

    There's an old saying, "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

    And it aint broke!

  • Comment number 29.

    Good to see Government getting to grips with the really important issues affecting this country.
    Does it really matter as long as we all use the same clock....

  • Comment number 30.

    Of course. We are living in the dark to appease a few Scottish crofters who can alter their alarm clocks by an hour for part of the year.

    The rest of us would like to leave behind those winter days when it's dark by 4pm. Dangerous and depressing.

  • Comment number 31.

    Oh, this old chestnut again. If anything we should revert to permanent GMT - you know, the time the world works from. If we go to permanent BST we will lose that.

    Or better still, leave well enough alone. If it works, don't fix it.

  • Comment number 32.

    Yet again proof that we have a PM who opens his mouth before thinking.

    So disappointed in this man, I had blamed it all on the Liberals in the background, but no excuse this time.

    Plain to see the man is only interested in England and London in particular! Disgusted!

  • Comment number 33.

    "However, permanent summertime is unlikely to be well received in northern England and Scotland where an extra hour in the mornings would see the sun rising after 9am meaning children facing the prospect of starting school in the dark."

    Absolute garbage BBC. A complete distortion of the truth. The majority of Scots have long supported BST all year round.

  • Comment number 34.

    Yes Please! That is an excellent idea. About time we looked after ourselves for a change. Stuff Scotland. They show enough contempt towards us. We would have been permanantly on BST about 50 years ago if weren't for the Scottish moaning about their kids walking to school in the dark. To put it bluntly: your problem, not ours.

  • Comment number 35.

    What a silly idea. After all it is all geography's fault. How dare Britain be in a different time zone to Europe so lets all move Britain a couple of hundred miles east - how? you ask, that is just detail and details are less important than principle.

  • Comment number 36.

    31. At 10:08am on 13 Aug 2010, Atom wrote:
    Oh, this old chestnut again. If anything we should revert to permanent GMT - you know, the time the world works from. If we go to permanent BST we will lose that.

    Or better still, leave well enough alone. If it works, don't fix it.
    ----------------

    But it doesn't work. To keep changing the clocks is a pain in the backside. Its unnecessary aggravation. Why can't we just stick to one time? I agree with you we could stick to GMT but surely BST is preferable to those living in England and Wales.

  • Comment number 37.

    No! It should be two hours difference in summer. Look at the sky, man.

  • Comment number 38.

    Depends where you live. I would do away with BST not extend it. I live in the north and would mean no light until after 09.00am, and dark by 17.00 during winter! The further north the worse it gets. There was another mad Tory talking about extending BST by 2 hours!! NO.

  • Comment number 39.

    24. At 10:01am on 13 Aug 2010, Hastings wrote:
    I can never work this argument out - however, since it probably does not effect us in the south one way or another, why not just let the Scottish farmers decide?
    -----------------
    No lets not let them decide. Since when did they become the majority? It does affect us. Scotland could always have their own "Scottish time" and set their clocks to whatever the hell they like. That way we are all happy.

  • Comment number 40.

    Yes, yes, yes!

  • Comment number 41.

    3. At 09:34am on 13 Aug 2010, jewel_peacock wrote:
    What a stupid idea. Why cause chaos for no reason - hasn't Cameron got more important things to be thinking about right now?

    Then again, since when have Tories ever cared about Scotland and Northern England?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd be interested to hear your definiton of "chaos". And while I'm no fan of Cameron, I'm sure he's capable of multi-tasking. It's something of a pre-requisite for the job of running the country.

  • Comment number 42.

    18. At 09:51am on 13 Aug 2010, pb wrote:
    Oh goody - another great idea to strengthen the case for Scotland to go it alone. This one's been handed to the SNP on a Conservative sliver slaver.
    -----------------------------

    Yep. Which is a good thing. Its about time they stood on there on their own two feet. And no more funding from the English tax payer.

  • Comment number 43.

    7. At 09:41am on 13 Aug 2010, Tio Terry wrote:
    "However, permanent summertime is unlikely to be well received in northern England and Scotland where an extra hour in the mornings would see the sun rising after 9am meaning children facing the prospect of starting school in the dark."
    ---------------------------------------
    "Then don't start school at 09:00, start at 10:00. It makes no difference at all what numbers the hands on the clock point at, if it's dark and dangerous don't do it."
    ---------------------------------------

    Yep, the solution's pretty obvious really. And you get the same argument from Scottish dairy farmers; that they'll have to get up when it's even darker to milk their cows. If the clocks go forward an hour, just start your day an hour later.

  • Comment number 44.

    7. At 09:41am on 13 Aug 2010, Tio Terry wrote:

    Then don't start school at 09:00, start at 10:00. It makes no difference at all what numbers the hands on the clock point at, if it's dark and dangerous don't do it. Wait until it's light. You don't have to be a slave to the clock, just do things at different times to suit you. There is no need for two time zones.
    .........................................................................
    So if we use your logic why dont we just move the clocks three hours forward? Then my kids can walk to school in safety, but oh dear those of you in London will have to go home in the dark!

  • Comment number 45.

    If people are so worried about the affect on schoolchildren then why not delay the start of the school day. Research has shown that a lie-in before school cuts sleepiness and depression in teenagers.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/besttreatments/2010/jul/06/liein-before-school-cuts-sleepiness-and-depression-in-teens

  • Comment number 46.

    Absolutely, especially as we are in the same time zone as the rest of western Europe

  • Comment number 47.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 48.

    Better still, please fix long daytime hours for Winter & short daytime hours for Summer i.e Summer sunshine for Winter & Winter sunshine for summer. This PM has interesting ideas.

  • Comment number 49.

    I wasn't aware that this had been tried in the 60's and 70's and if it proved unpopular then, I don't see the point in trying it again.

  • Comment number 50.

    "Good to see Government getting to grips with the really important issues affecting this country."

    There are more important issues but that doesn't mean this shouldn't be considered. The environmental arguments are pretty compelling, and I'd rather have daylight in the evening when I can enjoy it than in the morning when I'm just getting ready for work anyway.

    If the Scots want to use a different timezone then let them. The USA copes with several time zones crossing the country, there's no reason we can't.

  • Comment number 51.

    Frankly it makes no difference either way. By the time I finish work my leisure time will be pervaded by darkness in Winter anyway.

  • Comment number 52.

    43. At 10:26am on 13 Aug 2010, Dan_Dover wrote:

    7. At 09:41am on 13 Aug 2010, Tio Terry wrote:
    "However, permanent summertime is unlikely to be well received in northern England and Scotland where an extra hour in the mornings would see the sun rising after 9am meaning children facing the prospect of starting school in the dark."
    ---------------------------------------
    "Then don't start school at 09:00, start at 10:00. It makes no difference at all what numbers the hands on the clock point at, if it's dark and dangerous don't do it."
    ---------------------------------------

    Yep, the solution's pretty obvious really. And you get the same argument from Scottish dairy farmers; that they'll have to get up when it's even darker to milk their cows. If the clocks go forward an hour, just start your day an hour later.

    The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum, have two time zones in one country based on the latitude! Sheer madness.

  • Comment number 53.

    I think we should have permanent GMT, we should be more proud of our heritage. Schools and businesses could locally adjust their hours, to suit their requirements.

  • Comment number 54.

    I agree with the idea. If people are affected by lack of daylight, they can just reschedule their lives accordingly. For example, if it's too dark for children to start school, just have them start school an hour later. That's actually what happens anway. We just redefine the time for some reason.

  • Comment number 55.

    I see some on here are thinking about the issue ans responding (personally, I'm in favour).

    For some of you on here why not just cut and paste the following for each HYS?

    "David Cameron said it so I'm against it"

    It would save you a few seconds away from your day-time TV each time you want to post on HYS.

  • Comment number 56.

    You can either move your clock back an hour or move your alarm forward an hour. What difference does it make?

  • Comment number 57.

    This is not DC's idea, is part of a long campaign called Lighterlater. I personally think is great, I do live in the south. So, yes, there may be more risks in the morning, but less in the evening. When it was tried before, there were more accidents in the morning, but they were fewer in the evenings by a margin so the total balance was a decreased risk.

    Why does everything have to be nationalised, I understand that some people may not like it or find it a bad idea and that lines may go along some national boundaries, but perhaps we can compromise on a solution which is good for most people, such as different time zones? Other countries have them and does not cause problems.

  • Comment number 58.

    Whilst starting school later is, in theory, ideal, there's just one slight problem. Who's going to get your kids ready for school, and transport them to school for 10:00, when you have to be at your desk for 9am?

    Unless of course, we shift everything forward an hour in the North - essentially creating a different time zone which will induce chaos, if only for the short term.

    --

    34. At 10:15am on 13 Aug 2010, LabourBrokeBritain wrote:
    Yes Please! That is an excellent idea. About time we looked after ourselves for a change. Stuff Scotland. They show enough contempt towards us. We would have been permanantly on BST about 50 years ago if weren't for the Scottish moaning about their kids walking to school in the dark. To put it bluntly: your problem, not ours.


    This wouldn't just affect the Scottish, it will also affect a good deal of the North of England. Oh, but that doesn't matter does it? the North isn't London.

    So here's an idea.. why don't London and the Home Counties simply break away and for their own country? They only ever seem interested in themselves, sometimes refusing to acknowledge that anywhere else in the country even exists. Let the Londoners carry on in their own little bubble and let the rest of the country decide what THEY want for a change, not have to kow-tow to the London-centric politics.

  • Comment number 59.

    This is so stupid. GMT is an essential standrad for all the world. Time zones change based on 0 degrees longitude,the Greenwich Meridian(which has huge historical significance) and change from West to East...not north to south. Also there are the same number of daylight hours whatever the clock may say! Lets either leave it as it is, or change to GMT and stay there...

  • Comment number 60.

    Personally, I'm all for it. Shouldn't the majority of the population benefit? Anyway, the north benefits from much longer days in the summer than we do!

    Bring it on!

  • Comment number 61.

    The only logical solution is to go the whole hog and move to CET (GMT +1 in Winter and GMT +2 in summer) the same as the rest of western europe. That way UK business would be in constant contact with their customers in our main trading partner countries.

    Going for GMT +1 all year round (BST in english money) resolves nothing, as we would remain out of step with our european partners for 7 months of the year.

  • Comment number 62.

    I wonder if the ranting left could pause for a second and read the story and its background.

    Reading some posts, you'd think that Cameron had decided to impose BST and ordered the death of all people living in Scotland.

    What the story says is that he's 'agreed to consider' a plan put forward by others and backed by (amongst others) safety campaigners and environmentalists.

    'Agreed to consider'.

    So could the 'whatever Cameron says, I'm going to go off on a rant about it' brigade slow down and join in the debate?

  • Comment number 63.

    No, it's a very bad idea. It would be very miserable in the North of England and Scotland during the winter, staying dark until 10am. The economy is in a bad state, VAT has gone up, unemployment is high, a double dip recession is likely, we 've got enough on our plate already.
    Even in London, in early January the sun will not rise before 9am, we will all be forced to go to work in the dark.
    I am sure there are many more pressing matters for the government to deal with.

  • Comment number 64.

    Yes, in fact it was done in 1968 with no poblems. The argument about kids going to school in dark is hogwash, because under the present system they come home in it!

  • Comment number 65.

    Putting the clocks forward and backwards was brought in as a wartime measure to increase ammunition production.
    Reverting to GMT, which had been the standard since the operation of the railway system required a common time standard for the whole country, would be the logical thing to do.
    However as most politicians are moral cowards, nothing will happen.

  • Comment number 66.

    United Kingdom, united time zone? This isn't about the UK, this is about the South of England and to hell with the North and Scotland. Let London and the rest of the bit at the bottom have its own time zone if it wants - leave the rest of us alone. We're fine as we are!

  • Comment number 67.

    49. At 10:38am on 13 Aug 2010, Phillip of England wrote:

    I wasn't aware that this had been tried in the 60's and 70's and if it proved unpopular then, I don't see the point in trying it again.


    It was only unpopular with the same people who are complaining about the proposal now, namely people in the North and in Scotland.

  • Comment number 68.

    46. At 10:28am on 13 Aug 2010, GrumpyofLetchworth wrote:
    Absolutely, especially as we are in the same time zone as the rest of western Europe

    When did that happen then? Last time I went to germany I had to change my watch...

  • Comment number 69.

    More people live in England than Scotland so the majority should have the greatest say. If the Scottish don't like it....tough. Why are we pandering to the minority?

  • Comment number 70.

    Personally I favour sticking to GMT. I certainly do not think the present jump forwards an hour and back an hour does any good. My body clcok fails to understand completely and I get up at the same time anyway.

  • Comment number 71.

    Just what I'd expect from the Tories. Govern for southern England and if anyone else is inconvenienced or even endangered then who gives a damn? This is cynical from Cameron, who has been looking for a way to punish the Scots for snubbing the Tories at the election. What he'd do well to remember is that one of the few remaining bastions of support the Tories still have in Scotland is rural communities and farmers - who will be worst hit by this. It will have less effect on the inner-city populations for whom Tory is a 4-letter word.

    If it suits the south of England and Wales to go it alone on this issue then fine, go it alone. Other countries (USA, Russia among others) cope perfectly well with multiple time zones.

  • Comment number 72.

    In 43. At 10:26am on 13 Aug 2010, Dan_Dover wrote:

    Yep, the solution's pretty obvious really. And you get the same argument from Scottish dairy farmers; that they'll have to get up when it's even darker to milk their cows. If the clocks go forward an hour, just start your day an hour later.

    How do cattle know the clocks have changed? There are also automated milking systems which allow each cow to choose when she is milked.

  • Comment number 73.

    Is it so difficult for people to change their clocks twice a year?

  • Comment number 74.

    Yes!

  • Comment number 75.

    8. At 09:42am on 13 Aug 2010, cemhlm wrote:

    It doesn't matter what the British decide about BST, the EU will have the final say, or possibly the clerics in Saudi will have a say bearing in mind they want GMT to be dumped in favour of Mecca Mean Time.


    =========================================================================

    How more stupid can you get?

  • Comment number 76.

    Yes I would like to stay on permanent GMT +1, I hate the December afternoons when it is dark by 3.30pm.

    I understand people's concerns in the North but whats the difference between going to work or school in the dark and coming home in the dark?

    It was tried in the 60s & 70s but the world is different now so I think it should be tried again.




  • Comment number 77.

    Why not a rolling time plan where the sun rises just as you leave the office at the end of the working day? Most people work indoors and the majority work near enough 'office hours'. Since the harnessing of electricity(!) it makes no difference whether it's light or dark outside a building.

    You'd be able to get home knowing you had the maximum number of daylight hours ahead of you to enjoy the rest of the day.

    I'm sure there would be some moaning minnies who have to work outdoors, but they could always buy a torch.

  • Comment number 78.

    In 54. At 10:44am on 13 Aug 2010, Richard Smart wrote:


    I agree with the idea. If people are affected by lack of daylight, they can just reschedule their lives accordingly. For example, if it's too dark for children to start school, just have them start school an hour later. That's actually what happens anway.


    The other alternative is rearrange term times so that the "Christmas" holidays run from the end of November to mid January.

    We just redefine the time for some reason.

    As well as wasting it by changing clocks twice a year.

  • Comment number 79.

    Oh for goodness sake: what a silly idea! "Time" is relative: our concept of time, as opposed to 'real' time, doesn't actually exist. All we have is a machine (a clock) that we individually set. I might set mine 10 mins, 20, an hour, faster or slower than you set yours. It only becomes a problem if you say 'meet me at midday'.

    Instead of insisting that all schools/business open at the same time, just change the opening hours to suit the daylight hours you have where you live. Far simpler, and less confusing. Everybody else across the world does it: if you're trading with China or America, you don't insist they are at their office desk at the same time as you, do you? Of course not, their office hours are daylight based too, and if you want to speak to them on the phone you have to stay up late or get in early (or they do).

    Real time is based on the movement of the earth round the sun: perhaps Dave would like to legislate to change that to a more regular pattern too?

    Like it or not, we're stuck with the time we have: changing the clocks is something we can do by ourselves if we wish. We don't need governments telling us when to get up, when to eat, when to sleep....

  • Comment number 80.

    71. At 11:05am on 13 Aug 2010, 24 years and counting wrote:
    "Just what I'd expect from the Tories. Govern for southern England and if anyone else is inconvenienced or even endangered then who gives a damn?"

    Whereas at the moment the situation is in place for those in the north of England and in Scotland and the south is inconvenienced but, presumably, you don't give a damn about that?

  • Comment number 81.

    Sorry - he's suggesting scrapping GMT? If we are keeping to one time zone surely it should be GMT. As usual "Call me Dave" - does not appear to know what he is talking about!

  • Comment number 82.

    Why BST ?
    Whay not GMT ?
    Probably cos GMT will annoy a minor ethnics as it is symboolic with being British.

  • Comment number 83.

    It would be beneficial for the health of the benefit army, who don't normally get out of bed till dinner time; this would ensure they got a couple of hours of extra sunlight to keep them healthy. Also they'd be able to stay up later to watch overnight satelite TV or surf the net in peace, without getting too tired. Those people silly enough to go out to work won't mind going off in the dark and coming home in the dark all winter, after all they wouldn't be doing anything else anyway.

  • Comment number 84.

    No, No, No. When this was tried before it was dark in the mornings until almost 9 a.m during the middle of winter, this was in the SOUTH EAST. Children were going to school in the dark and in some cases coming home in the dark. Those working with horses or on farms were doing more work in the dark and in the case of excercising horses could not do this until it was proper daylight.
    Today, more and more people have animals to tend to before going to work, dark mornings will only make this more difficult and expensive.
    Currently, evenings are lighter from around the middle of March so a compromise could be reached with the clocks going forward earlier than they do.
    There are more cars on the road now and more speeding traffic in the mornings than the evenings and the afternoon going home traffic now starts earlier at around 4 p.m.
    Incidentally, America has different time zones and it copes without a problem so why do people assume that there is a problem with Europe.

    I repeat for those who do not remember, it was dark in the mornings whilst children were going to school and others going to work in the South East of England, it was not just a problem in Scotland.

  • Comment number 85.

    If you're going to stick to one time frame surely it would make more sense to stick to GMT, rather than BST.

  • Comment number 86.

    Well I see Mr Cameron is getting to grips with the real nitty gritty. How many more foot in mouth ideas will this man come up with.

    As for all the contributors who don't give a stuff about Scotland maybe you will soon get your wish and we will go it alone. In my opinion the sooner the better.

    It's attitudes like this that have made the Scottish people anti English,

  • Comment number 87.

    We've just had several years of a scot and very dark they were too.


  • Comment number 88.

    One or two wags have suggested Mecca Mean Time is being pushed by muslim fundamentalists.

    Why stop them?

    If they want to live by this fine.

    They (fundamentalists) can get up at 0300 our time and be in bed again by 1800.

    I don't personally feel my evenings would be any the poorer for this.

  • Comment number 89.

    Yes please.

  • Comment number 90.

    44. At 10:26am on 13 Aug 2010, pzero wrote:
    7. At 09:41am on 13 Aug 2010, Tio Terry wrote:

    >>Then don't start school at 09:00, start at 10:00. It makes no >>difference at all what numbers the hands on the clock point at, if >>it's dark and dangerous don't do it. Wait until it's light. You don't >>have to be a slave to the clock, just do things at different times to >>suit you. There is no need for two time zones.

    >So if we use your logic why dont we just move the clocks three hours >forward? Then my kids can walk to school in safety, but oh dear those >of you in London will have to go home in the dark!

    No, they could just start school a bit earlier. We don't all have to live in synchrony.

  • Comment number 91.

    "81. At 11:28am on 13 Aug 2010, Lesley Manning wrote:
    Sorry - he's suggesting scrapping GMT? If we are keeping to one time zone surely it should be GMT. As usual "Call me Dave" - does not appear to know what he is talking about!"

    He's not 'suggesting' anything. He's said he will 'consider' suggestions put forward by others. As usual, you do not appear to know what you are talking about.

  • Comment number 92.

    Now really isn't the time to be talking about such stupid, pointless things.

    Camoron isn't afraid to harp on about Labour failures and how his sleeves are rolled ready to work hard on improving the country's economy. Yet all we seem to be getting are unimportant issues such as this.

    For the love of all things holy, please, please start talking about the numerous serious issues that are stacking up rather than pursuing this pointless PM Direct nonsense.

  • Comment number 93.

    75. At 11:11am on 13 Aug 2010, CodeCruiser wrote:
    8. At 09:42am on 13 Aug 2010, cemhlm wrote:

    It doesn't matter what the British decide about BST, the EU will have the final say, or possibly the clerics in Saudi will have a say bearing in mind they want GMT to be dumped in favour of Mecca Mean Time.


    =========================================================================



    How more stupid can you get?

    -----

    (Nok writes) Ta Daaaaa

    ---

    82. At 11:34am on 13 Aug 2010, joshua goldblum wrote:
    Why BST ?
    Whay not GMT ?
    Probably cos GMT will annoy a minor ethnics as it is symboolic with being British.

    ----

    (Nok Writes) Its always a good idea to keep a few superlatives in reserve when considering HYS.

  • Comment number 94.

    "Those working with horses or on farms were doing more work in the dark and in the case of excercising horses could not do this until it was proper daylight."

    ????

    Unless the wheat, cows and horses knew what time it was, what difference would it have made? There are the same number of hours of daylight in the day whether you are on GMT or BST. I'd have thought the time on the clock was irrelevant to such workers. If they'd lost their watch, would that have meant they couldn't work their farms or horses?

  • Comment number 95.

    Do what ever you want. Its no real time anyways

  • Comment number 96.

    A lot of (wishful thinking) Scottish posters are claiming this will help the cause for Scottish independence. As a Scotsman, I have to say that my personal opinion on whether a union lasting over 300 years between the countries of these islands should be brought to an end is unlikely to be seriously affected by whether it's dark or light at 8am in Arbroath in November..........

    As a lot of people have pointed out, just change the school hours to suit. There is already a huge variance in school times and holiday dates.

  • Comment number 97.

    I like GMT in winter because I struggle to get out of bed when it's dark. I like BST in summer because it means I only get woken up by birds at 4.30am, not 3.30am.

  • Comment number 98.

    85. At 11:37am on 13 Aug 2010, PaulRichard2 wrote:
    If you're going to stick to one time frame surely it would make more sense to stick to GMT, rather than BST.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Well said Paul.
    Consecutive Gov appear to be hell bent on obliterating our history in every quarter. GMT is symbolic with the initial introduction of world timekeeping brought in by the Brits and followed thru the ages.
    I would fully support the GMT idea but would not support the BST.

  • Comment number 99.

    Yes, yes, yes. Getting to work / school is not a problem for most. Coming home in the dark is far worse

  • Comment number 100.

    Yes please!

 

Page 1 of 5

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.