BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say
« Previous | Main | Next »

What would you ask the Liberal Democrat leader?

08:24 UK time, Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Jeremy Vine

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg will be interviewed by the BBC's Jeremy Vine on Tuesday. What did you think?

The youngest of the main party leaders, Nick Clegg has been leader of the Liberal Democrats since 2007. You can read the party's manifesto here.

Mr Clegg was first elected a Member of the European Parliament for the East Midlands in 1999 but stood down in 2004 before being elected MP for Sheffield Hallam in 2005.

What do you think of the Liberal Democrats' policies? Which policies would you like to ask Nick Clegg about? What broader issues would you like to discuss with the Lib Dem leader?

This debate has now closed. Thank you for your comments.

In the eighth in a series of interviews with party leaders, Jeremy Vine interviewed Nick Clegg during his programme on Radio 2 between 12pm and 1230pm on Tuesday 04 May 2010. For more information on how to listen to a recording of the interview click here

Comments

Page 1 of 2

  • Comment number 1.

    You described the Conservative’s allies in Europe as “nutters”. Would you form a coalition government with the allies of “nutters”?

  • Comment number 2.

    I would ask him why Vince Cable wasn't appointed leader in his place. The Lib Dems would have attracted more votes by having someone with more worldly life-experience.

  • Comment number 3.

    Have you got anything else to say about your policys, other than basic Lib Dem propaganda that has been repeated, repeated, repeated.

    Do you think that as a result of so much mis-information and lack of details that any of the 3 main party are actually worthy of government as all 3 partys are basically providing a lucky dip election, whereby voters just do not know what they will actually receive/experience as a result of their voting choice.

  • Comment number 4.

    Will you get us out of this mess?
    And dont tell us you'll do things and then get in and go back on your word..!

  • Comment number 5.

    How can you claim to be for joining the Euro AND for holding an EU Referendum at the same time? This is either mutually exclusive or the reerendum will be a farce and it assumes the conclusion.

  • Comment number 6.

    I think Vince Cable's idea of breaking up the banks is plain crazy. Most already are separated into retail and wholesale, deposit taking and investment. Because they come under the same name doesn't mean they haven't organised these operations into Divisions.

    Above all he should leave those that needed no taxpayer bailout alone.

    He seems ready to punish perfectly successful organisations because they're successful and weathered the financial storm well - that's weird. Why not break up steelmaking or car making when they recover?

    With the banks, however, he's attempting to tinker with huge multinational corporations. The result could be disasterous for the UK as Financial Services are still its biggest money-spinner. He should reflect on the free markets meaning that people/corporations can move their capital and operations to wherever suits them best.

    It is enough to regulate their capital adequacy.

    When Cable announced this policy I decided not to vote Lib Dems.

    Besides, he's said nothing about the despised inheritance tax.

  • Comment number 7.

    Do you think it is unfair and unjust of Obama to purely and publicly lay blame for USA company Transocean oil rig disaster/failure at BPs door?

  • Comment number 8.

    When are you going to start really shouting about proportional representation?

    It the one policy that puts the Lib Dems head & shoulders above their rivals and makes them the only major political party offering real, tangible change.

    Mr Clegg should make sure that people know that if the Lib Dems get enough votes, British politics will never be the same again - If you want to change the parliamentary sytem and smash the 60 year con/lab monopoly then a vote for the Lib Dems in this election is the only way to do it.

    Just look atthe reaction of the right-wing media to see just how threatend establishment is by the Lib Dems.

    Surely thats reason enough to vote for them this time?

  • Comment number 9.

    I have two questions:

    Why are the LibDems not willing to make the case for Rights and Civil Liberties?

    Why is the LibDem election literature negative in nature when, if their manifesto is anything to go by, they have so much to offer?

  • Comment number 10.

    would he stop ALL state funding for religious schools and colleges? Doing this would guarantee my vote.

  • Comment number 11.

    Mr Clegg, can't you just promise to scrap Trident and all other WMD and then I'll vote for your party

  • Comment number 12.

    When are going to start targeting those who would normally vote for a minor party?

    Under the current system of 'first past the post', UKIP,for example, could get 10% of the vote, yet still not have any MPs.

    Under proportional representation if UKIP get 10% of the vote, they win 10% of the seats.

    So by voting Lib Dem this time round, the supporters of the minor parties have real chance of their parties gaining genuine influence at the next general election.

    Or they could just make their protest vote & watch as nothing changes...

  • Comment number 13.

    The Royal Academy of Engineering recently commissioned a report 'The Cost of Generating Electricity.'

    In it they concluded that nuclear power (including waste disposal, decommissioning and construction costs) costs, per kilowatt hour, less than half the price of wind energy.

    How then can the Lib Dems claim to have a credible Climate Change policy if they reject nuclear power as part of the energy mix because it is 'too expensive'

    [Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator]

  • Comment number 14.

    The Royal Academy of Engineering recently commissioned a report 'The Cost of Generating Electricity.'

    In it they concluded that nuclear power (including waste disposal, decommissioning and construction costs) costs, per kilowatt hour, less than half the price of wind energy.

    How then can the Lib Dems claim to have a credible Climate Change policy if they reject nuclear power as part of the energy mix because it is 'too expensive?'

  • Comment number 15.

    Which of the Libs policies on EU are they currently using? Having shifted on and off ever since the referendum on Lisbon and whether or not to join the Euro,they are more confused than I am.

  • Comment number 16.

    There was a lady on Radio 4 this morning who was concerned about the impact of immigration on her community. She said she was undecided about whether to vote for BNP or "Nick Clegg".

    Is this proof positive that "Cleggmania" is all about you, a media-savvy individual who is riding a wave of blind support from the public? In reality, most of the Cleggmaniacs have no idea what the Liberal Democrat party's policies are, or what their impact will be.

  • Comment number 17.

    The Liberal Democrats could have an incredible opportunity of changing British political for the better than ever before, will you therefore ensure that the all those who vote for the LD's will have their aspiration heard. That if we do have a hung parliament the Liberal Democrats will NOT allow the Tories to ignore the peoples demands for a change in our electoral system. Is he aware of the mistakes Lloyd George made which has kept the Liberals out of power since?

    I shall be voting tactically to help bring about electoral reform, am I ding the right thing?

  • Comment number 18.

    You want to increase the personal allowance to £10,000 - given the need for spending cuts of £15 billion ( your figure) how can you possibly afford to do this?

  • Comment number 19.

    5. At 11:01am on 04 May 2010, Sue Denim wrote:
    How can you claim to be for joining the Euro AND for holding an EU Referendum at the same time? This is either mutually exclusive or the reerendum will be a farce and it assumes the conclusion.

    =====

    Its not rocket science.

    1. Hold EU membership referendum icluding an option to vote for joining the Euro or to not joining the euro whilst retaining membership, as well as a simple leave the EU option.

    2 Check the results.

    Why would anybody have trouble with a concept so simple...

  • Comment number 20.

    I would ask him if he would like to provide the houses necessary for the potentially, millions of illegal immigrants, and their families, he will make legal if ever he got into power, heaven forbid! We do not have enough houses, Jobs or the finances to cope with many of the services required for legitimate British citizens that already live here. LEAGLLY
    Is it possible that he would insure that they could be housed in the only parts of the country where the Liberal vote is strongest? That way those who vote for his party will have a clearer concept of the problem he would be causing,
    It is a Folly to think that we want more here at this time, we have been overcrowded for too many years, just ask any British subject, be they Black, White, Brown, Yellow or Red.
    NO MORE CLEG!!!!! did you hear?
    NO MORE CLEG!!!!!

  • Comment number 21.

    What will you do if the Lib Dems receive more votes than Labour, but a fraction of the number of seats they win?

  • Comment number 22.

    Hi, I like most of the Lib Dem policies and think Nick Clegg is the only one out of the 3 that actually answers questions clearly. However, I have a big hang up with the Illegal immigrant amnesty that he is proposing - I believe this will open the doors for their dependants to also come here - can he reassure me on this please?

  • Comment number 23.

    (1) Do you recall Tony Blair's last PMQs when he said with a smile "never over-estimate the Liberal Democrats" with pleasure?

    (2) Now that you are a player in British politics, will you remain steadfast in your call for the UK to stop arms supplies to Israel, or will you bow to the inevitable "well drilled lobbying" of Zionists which the BBC caved into over the Gaza DEC appeal and the Frankie Boyle censure?

  • Comment number 24.

    A vote for the Liberal Democrats risks keeping Labour in power for another 5 years. That is horrendous - discuss.

  • Comment number 25.

    1 You are posh, so what makes you different in your approach to the "common man" as David Cameron.

    2 Do you think we should follow Greece into the Euro?

    3 The Liberal party has been going for well over a century, how exactly are you not part of the establishment? You are THE old party!

  • Comment number 26.

    19. At 11:20am on 04 May 2010, Osric wrote:

    "5. At 11:01am on 04 May 2010, Sue Denim wrote:
    How can you claim to be for joining the Euro AND for holding an EU Referendum at the same time? This is either mutually exclusive or the reerendum will be a farce and it assumes the conclusion.

    =====

    Its not rocket science.

    1. Hold EU membership referendum icluding an option to vote for joining the Euro or to not joining the euro whilst retaining membership, as well as a simple leave the EU option.

    2 Check the results.

    Why would anybody have trouble with a concept so simple..."

    Isn't that just leading the voter's opinion? Anyway, back to facts. The Lisbon Treaty clearly states that all member states MUST adopt the Euro as its currency thus making the whole thing terribly flawed. Staying part of the political union leads to adoption of the Euro. So again, why offer a referendum when adopting the Euro will tie us in both politically and financially regardless?

    Basically, thanks to the Lisbon Treaty, you either stay politically joined and adopt the Euro or you back out of the political part and stay a trading nation like Norway and Switzerland.

    Why would anybody have trouble with a concept so simple...

  • Comment number 27.

    I live in Sevenoaks which has been a strong Tory seat for decades and currently Michael Fallon sits firmly in place here. In the last election the Tories walked away with a majority of over 13,000 gaining 22,337 votes, the LIb Dems 9,467 and Labour gained 9,101.
    I normally vote Labour but I feel betrayed by their policies. My husband, a firefighter for 28 years has had his conditions of work eroded badly throughout the Labour reign but wouldn't voting Liberal Democrat be pointless here where Tory support is so strong?

  • Comment number 28.

    You claim that the immigration "amnesty" will release those trapped in a criminal frame work, yet no one seems to know exact numbers, let alone the state of their wellbeing.

    Isn't the call for "up to 600,000" long term illegal immigrants and up to one family member acutally as stab in the dark and could cause an influx as steep as the wildly inacurate estimates of Polish worker arriving when the EU rules changed?

  • Comment number 29.

    What is your policy on expanding EU membership by the inclusion of Turkey, and do you believe that Greece will be obliged to pay for an EU bail-out in part by agreeing to Turkey's membership?

  • Comment number 30.

    I am really interested to know what your party intends to do about FAMILY TAX CREDITS AND CHILD TAX CREDITS. I know that the Conservatives intend to leave them as they are for families that earn under £40000. What will you do? This is the issue that will swing my vote, and I have on intention to vote Labour.

  • Comment number 31.

    what are you going to tell your supporters now that the labour party are asking them to vote for labour in seats where the lib dems have very little chance of winning.

  • Comment number 32.

    Suppose you had the chance of forcing a government into Constitutional change; how would you want it done? Would you be prepared to wait for a Royal Commission, or want something quicker? What would you want done about the Upper House? We surely couldn't have Constitutional change for the Commons alone, and cheerfully carry on with an appointed Upper House whose Members were there for life?

  • Comment number 33.

    I would ask, if part of a hung parliament/ minority government, "how would you ensure that PR was introduced and whether you could guarantee it being in place by the next general election"?

  • Comment number 34.

    When the spaceship go back to where most of your policies are formulated?

  • Comment number 35.

    Why won't you just admist that your policy of an amnesty is flawed and shows weakness that will be exposed over and over.

  • Comment number 36.

    I would be interested to know for what country Mr Clegg has his main allegiance

    Does he have any Passports other than a British one

    With a half Russian father, Dutch mother and a Spanish wife, he is the first generation of his family to be British

    Does he think of himself as British through and through, or as European first

  • Comment number 37.

    I would like to ask Nick Clegg about a number of the Lib Dem’s policy points:
    1) why do the Lib Dems want to get rid of the Regional Development Agencies (RDAs), which have done a lot of good work to encourage manufacturing and inward investment for individual regions. If – as proposed in your manifesto – you pass these services to the local authority, won’t industry suffer? And if you run the policies for regional manufacturing etc. from London, how can the MPs in London pretend to understand the issues of local regions that the RDAs currently deal with?
    2) What other manufacturing will the Lib Dems help to stimulate in the UK other than green-technology in the North East? There is a wide range of manufacturing other than green-technologies, which are only a fraction of the real manufacturing sector in the UK. Is this just jumping on the local ‘buzz issue?’
    3) What will your party do to improve working conditions for the many selfless hospital doctors, who are paid less than bankers/ city workers and work far longer hours than the EU time directives say they should (which are ignored by many trusts). And how will you shift the power from the middle managers with no medical knowledge to those doctors and nurses with medical knowledge, who actually make a different to peoples lives?

  • Comment number 38.

    You have suggested that if your Party won the election you would form an all party group to manage the economy - is that because your Party has nobody experienced in Government and other than Mr Cable, there are no experienced people to act as Treasury Ministers

  • Comment number 39.

    I would ask Nick Clegg the following:
    1. If we had joined the Euro as his party wanted would we better placed to deal with country's problems or would we have to make bigger cuts in spending and even higher tax rises? What lessons should we draw from Greece?
    2. If Trident is scrapped wouldn't their alternative of cruise missiles or air launched bombs be much more vulnerable to being attacked and shot down? What would the new system cost?
    3. If an amnesty for illegal immigrants was introduced how many would be allowed citizenship? Would they be allowed access to housing and benefits and how many relatives could they bring into the UK? Would this encourage more illegals to come here?
    4.If Council tax is replaced by income tax would people on average earning s be better or worse off?
    5. How many jobs would be lost in the British manufacturing sector if the Eurofighter is scrapped?
    6. If Parliament is hung is wouldn't there be risk of indecision and party infighting? If this is the case won't it be harder to tackle the deficit? Also might there be a risk of our credit rating being downgraded, interest rates rising and a possible run on the pound? How could they guarantee they wouldn't vote against the government on a key issue and thus bring it down ?
    5.Should people vote liberal democrat because they agree with his party's polices or tactically for negative reasons?
    6. Who will he work with if parliament is hung? Which of the above polices will he demand as the price of cooperation with either Labour or the Conservatives ? Is he happy to keep Labour in power given the appalling mess they've made of the economy ?
    7. If a mansion tax is introduced on expensive houses and house prices continue to rise will he index the tax so its doesn't affect more people?
    8. Does he agree that he looks like Mr D'Arcy? Should this be a factor in deciding how we should cast our vote?

  • Comment number 40.

    My question is: "In the event of a 'hung' Parliament, will you enter into a 'coalition' or other form of alliance with Gordon Brown, to form a viable Government?" As a voter, I need to know the answer before polling day, because it will influence my decision on the way I vote.

  • Comment number 41.

    Gordon Brown alleges that the 2 week cancer specialist guarantee would go under the Conservatives. Disconcertingly David Cameron doesn't rebut this. My partner has leukaemia so I am very concerned that some of the recent improvements for cancer patients such as free prescriptions are maintained, my partner is on about 8 different medications at the moment. I have emailed all of the 3 main parties and none of them have got back to me. Also, do the LibDems back Macmillan's campaign regarding Access to Benefits for Cancer Patients? It was pretty annoying to learn yesterday on the BBC that unemployed dopeheads are getting Disability Living Allowance, when due to the way the form is designed, Cancer Patients have real problems getting additional financial help.

  • Comment number 42.

    Mr. Clegg.
    We are where we are - I know your chum Vince forecast much of the problem we are in would happen. He did speak with real knowledge and I too must say it was all too obvious - the public were building debt, Brown was playing with derivatives and cosying up to the Banks - a believer in prudence - and that growth would offset the debt and take us into a panacea
    of no more boom and bust. Prosperity for ever - and for a time I thought I might be wrong - it took a long time for him to be found out!!
    We are now in the biggest bust ever - Global it is but Brown was a prime mover and we are now deep in the Brown stuff.
    How will you tackle this:
    - encouraging yet more people to get here illegally will not help.
    - the Euro is as delicate as the £ and we have a better chance of improving as an individual situation.
    - The EU is not something a large proportion of this country are interested in. We will not get a vote on the issue either. We are
    uneasy about staying in - scared of coming out and the Liberal Democratic super allegiance to Europe is worrying - much deeper established than Labour. You are not the answer - you are the beginning of another problem. You are just lucky that Brown is totally discredited - the Conservatives are smeared with hatred from the working class.
    This Election is a Labour/Conservative battle for the ultimate success of the UK - You cannot win - but you may become a big big nuisance - leading to another Election.
    Liberals have seem many false dawns - Paddy became very popular at one point - never as high riding as yourself - but I hope for sake of the UK
    it will all end on Friday morning. The Polls have got to be wrong!

  • Comment number 43.

    Lib Dem claim the £10.000 personel tax allowence will create incentive to work. What will you do with the unemployed who aren't tempted to work with this tax relief and remain unemployed for over a given period. Say 12 months?



  • Comment number 44.

    weallmustvote wrote:
    I would ask him if he would like to provide the houses necessary for the potentially, millions of illegal immigrants, and their families, he will make legal if ever he got into power, heaven forbid!


    Where do you think they're all living now ?
    Do illegal immigrants have some sort of housing arrangement that doesn't require somewhere to live, maybe some sort of extra dimensional alcove that allows them to eat, sleep and bathe without the use of a home ?

    These people are already here, already have somewhere to live and most of them are working in the black economy, all the Lib Dems plan on doing is getting them to register so that they can pay taxes to contribute towards the cost of the services they're already using.
    Considering that they need to have been here for at least ten years then they can't have any young children back in their home countries and it is unlikely a marriage is going to survive ten years of living in different countries so just how many people do you think are actually going to be coming over here to join them ?

    The Institute of Fiscal Studies recently estimated that deporting all of our illegal immigrants would cost over £4 billion and that's on the basis that we'll be able to find, process and deport them all quickly and easily while allowing an amnesty of those fitting the Lib Dems criteria would generate an extra £1 billion in taxes every year.

    That extra £1 billion a year in taxation would also be enough to build more than six and a half thousand new homes every year.

  • Comment number 45.

    Gorden Brown and Nick Clegg are always talking about "Fairness for all" then why are they urging for tatical voting,how can that be fair?.We the voters would end up with a goverment that we didnt really want because two parties ganging up on the other for votes for there own parties gain not what is best for Britain,.
    That has to be wrong

  • Comment number 46.

    You said last week that you would only join the Euro when the economic conditions were right. However, in January 2009 you told the FT that Britain should join the Euro in order to salvage the public finances and prevent the “permanent decline” of the City. You said that joining a “major reserve currency” would protect Britain from its “extremely dangerous” exposure to volatile global capital flows.

    If you had had your way we would already be in the Euro. As it turns out, it is the Euro which is volatile because the Euro States put politics above sound economics; and it is precisely Greece's membership of the Euro which has left its own economy inflexible and brutally exposed at its time of greatest need.

    Do you accept that you were wrong before, and what steps would you take to ensure that the EU always puts sound economics before politics in the future?

  • Comment number 47.

    While I support increasing the tax free allowance. It is unfair that those who can pay - those in the 40% tax band should also benefit. Explain why everyone should benefit when the fairest approach is to give the money to the least well off alone.

  • Comment number 48.

    How can you justify an amnesty for illegal immigrants when it is well known that this will only encourage further waves of illegal immigration. Surely it is grossly unfair on those immigrants who patiently obey the law? What next an amnesty for murderers. Once the amnesty cat is out of the bag, it is out and there will be more!

  • Comment number 49.

    we want a referendum

  • Comment number 50.

    13. At 11:14am on 04 May 2010, Halfbreed wrote:
    The Royal Academy of Engineering recently commissioned a report 'The Cost of Generating Electricity.'

    In it they concluded that nuclear power (including waste disposal, decommissioning and construction costs) costs, per kilowatt hour, less than half the price of wind energy.

    How then can the Lib Dems claim to have a credible Climate Change policy if they reject nuclear power as part of the energy mix because it is 'too expensive'

    Do you include the growing maintenance costs of nuclear waste for the next 50, 100, 500, or 1000 years. If you actually included this REAL cost, then wind power is peanuts in comparison.

    Also, as a result of banking/financial services negligence and consequential recession and massive accumulated national debt and consequential negative realitys of next 10 to 20 years, do you not think that had this not happened, as a nation we could have EASILY afforded to spend £500billion on building national wind and solar resources which were OWNED by the public thus for our investment we could have received substantially reduced energy bills.

    If you build a wind turbine in your garden, you dont then charge yourself for the electric produced, the ONLY costs you then have are basic maintenance, you reap the benefits of your investment over a long time.

    Another point.

    It is a fact that upto 25% of ALL electricity transmitted via the overhead pylons is TOTALLY lost wasted. This means that every 4 years we lose and waste a whole years generation of electricity from gas/coal, nuclear and wind. Imagine the emissions of 1 whole year.

    This massive loss and waste is outrageous as it means we are basically paying for 25% of electricity that we do not receive.

    You wouldnt throw 25% of your petrol away on a journey so why do it with electricity.

    It also means that if this waste loss was reduced, we could significantly reduce powerstation emissions, reduce the need for so many new nuclear/other powerstations and also, over time reduce prices by a corresponding 25%.

    How can this be achieved? Just by having an underground electricity cable network.

    Too expensive we are told, which is a lie. We have water and gas and internet cables running around underground across the UK.

    The exspense of year upon year upon year of wasting 25% of electricity is totally nonsensical.

    What it also means is that of the planned building of wind farms, 25% of them are just for wastage, same with new gas and nuclear powerstations, 25% of them are just so we can continue to waste at todays rates.

    If the liberals are so liberal and open minded, then why do they also have such a pathetic energy policy that does nothing to change the present electricity transmittion system?

  • Comment number 51.

    Many Christians in the UK feel that the basic human right to hold a belief is being undermined in favour of the rights of other groups. As you (Nick Clegg) have said in the past that faith schools should be forced to teach what they don't believe, does the fairer society include the rights to religious belief?

    Also, do you not think that this policy towards faith schools would result in these schools eventually closing down? After all, what would be the point if they can't teach their beliefs?

  • Comment number 52.

    Mr Clegg, in the probability of a hung parliament, would you side with the perverse Tories to repeal the ban on hunting with dogs? If the Tories get in with a majority, it is their intention to immediately repeal this justifiable piece of legislation, which actually needs tightening up. Tories show indifference to animal protection laws and I fear that if you have to barter with the Tories, you will sacrifice this legislation and future animal welfare protection.

    I want to vote Lib Dem but require your unconditional pledge to retain the ban on hunting with dogs.

  • Comment number 53.

    I had respect for your party (even if I dont agree with your policies) before you started making deals in the shadows and brought religion into politics attracting a lot of die hard nutters more scary than the BNP thug myth.

    I ask- do you regret your actions?

  • Comment number 54.

    the current mess the country finds it self in is due laregly to most of the people who are now blaming each other/ or others party.- Why should we the electorate not be protected - i.e. why is there no law to put all those who caused this mayhem behind bar or atleast prevent them all from seeking re-election

  • Comment number 55.

    After looking up the value of my vote on http://www.voterpower.org.uk I am disgusted that my vote is only worth 0.05
    Why can't we vote for our prime minister directly?

  • Comment number 56.

    Mr Clegg wants to introduce PR because it would be "more representative". But do we really need to encourage more people to vote for extremist Parties like the BNP who would gain representation and credence from such tinkering?

    Isn't the maintenance of a tolerant society of more value than the selfish interests of Mr Clegg and his Party? Why does he want the BNP to be represented in parliament?

  • Comment number 57.

    The same question I would ask all 3 leaders "Why do you despise the indigenous people of this island".

  • Comment number 58.

    I thought Nick Clegg was brilliant. He managed to avoid all of Jeremy's (somewhat obvious - right-wing inspired traps.) I was trying to decide between Labour and Lib Dem and tending towards Labour as I thought Lib Dem might be a bit shallow, but now I will definitely vote Lib Dem as I thought his policies and answers were well thought out.

  • Comment number 59.

    Hi Jeremy, Great show!! I am a Dutch national living in the UK since 1999. I am very frustrated listening to the whole election debate and I feel that it is extreemly unfair that there is no proportional representation as with this current system when there is not "decent" representative in your constituancy your vote is virtually wasted!! I think a hung parlament would be very good as at least that way the minor parties at least have a say in the government instead of the mayor parties just railroading any law through!!

    Cheers
    Jeaannot

  • Comment number 60.

    47. At 12:20pm on 04 May 2010, DibbySpot wrote:

    "While I support increasing the tax free allowance. It is unfair that those who can pay - those in the 40% tax band should also benefit. Explain why everyone should benefit when the fairest approach is to give the money to the least well off alone."

    I expect you're not in the 40% tax banding or you'd realise that socialism simply doesn't work. If you pay into something, you expect to get something out otherwise you stop paying and look at other options. As much as I sympathise with the plight of lower earners, I don't see why higher earners should subsidise them with no expectation of a return.

    If I spent the last 10 years working 80+ hour weeks to get my business going and successful, I think I more than deserve a high salary for the work I have done. Why should I be expected to give it away because I worked hard and got something I deserve?

  • Comment number 61.

    "What would you ask the Liberal Democrat leader?"


    Why am I getting a feeling of deja vu with you?
    Why do you remind me of a certain Mr Blair in 1997?
    Why do I get the feeling you remind me of a used car salesman?
    Why do the rest of the UK not see this either?

  • Comment number 62.

    What's your favourite rap band?

  • Comment number 63.

    I would like to ask why he would reward people who have broken the laws of this country.
    If I did something illegal I would expect to have to pay for it if caught, so why does he think it is right to reward illegal immigrants? No matter what your views are about immigration these people have broken the law hence the word illegal.

  • Comment number 64.

    In Canada we have a minority government (3 years) and nothing gets done. All parlementry sessions become a postering point for the next election. Plus one party always threatens a vote of non confidence and your back to the poles.

    Vote for a majority!!!

  • Comment number 65.

    You'd have thought all the people who want the LibDem's illegal immigrant policy explained would be much more agitated about Cameron's policy on the issue.

    If (taking Cameron's own numbers) 600,000 illegal immigrants already here is a big problem, why is Cameron's policy to DO NOTHING WHATSOEVER ABOUT IT?

  • Comment number 66.

    50. At 12:37pm on 04 May 2010, MrWonderfulReality wrote:

    13. At 11:14am on 04 May 2010, Halfbreed wrote:
    The Royal Academy of Engineering recently commissioned a report 'The Cost of Generating Electricity.'

    In it they concluded that nuclear power (including waste disposal, decommissioning and construction costs) costs, per kilowatt hour, less than half the price of wind energy.

    How then can the Lib Dems claim to have a credible Climate Change policy if they reject nuclear power as part of the energy mix because it is 'too expensive'

    Do you include the growing maintenance costs of nuclear waste for the next 50, 100, 500, or 1000 years. If you actually included this REAL cost, then wind power is peanuts in comparison.

    ------------------------------------

    Sorry to chip in here but wind power is a hippy pipe dream. I am not insulting anyone with this but its a fact. The vastly over projected figures of homes suppliable using wind assumes an average home using fossil fuel anywhere possible! The only people still under the illusion for wind power are the libs and people who have not seen the retraction of figures as well as the numerous reports destroying the myth.

    I was shocked when I found this out as more co2 is generated in the life of a wind farm, too little electricity generated, excessively expensive and needs a fossil fuel backup which would be far less efficient than normal. It is almost as stupid as claiming electric cars are green. They are far more deadly than standard cars

  • Comment number 67.

    Mr Clegg

    Good on you. The fact that you have described some very contentious policies makes you look a lot more sincere than the other two who just say what we want to hear.

    Push the PR argument a bit more, though. People keep banging on about the economy but it's more important that our undemocratic voting system is fixed first.

    Best of luck for Thursday.

  • Comment number 68.

    Your thuggish minders were seen on TV manhandling an OAP who tried to raise a point with you. Are we to conclude that you hold the elderly in the same disregard as the current Prime Minister does?

  • Comment number 69.

    56. At 12:45pm on 04 May 2010, Pete M wrote:

    Mr Clegg wants to introduce PR because it would be "more representative". But do we really need to encourage more people to vote for extremist Parties like the BNP who would gain representation and credence from such tinkering?

    Isn't the maintenance of a tolerant society of more value than the selfish interests of Mr Clegg and his Party? Why does he want the BNP to be represented in parliament?

    ---------------------------------

    You state this as a bad thing but I consider the libs and greens too be loony parties. I consider the BNP to speak a lot of sense but by proportional representation it will allow people to see if they are any good or not. After seeing the BNP in action in the EU I would love to see them be the voice of common sense here.

    I do fear the lib/lab conspiracy should either become 1 party or split. Their shady deals are sickening and you dont see the detested BNP doing that. Do they have better morals?

  • Comment number 70.

    Why does human rights make an individual more important than the community or society in which he/she lives?
    Respect has to be earned it is never a right conferred by status. To earn my respect it is not enough just avoid causing harm: the majority needs to be cognisant of the minority to avoid prejudice and persecution but the majority should never pander to minority demands.
    How do you propose to square the circle Mr Clegg?

  • Comment number 71.

    6. At 11:05am on 04 May 2010, doctor bob wrote:
    I think Vince Cable's idea of breaking up the banks is plain crazy. Most already are separated into retail and wholesale, deposit taking and investment. Because they come under the same name doesn't mean they haven't organised these operations into Divisions.

    Above all he should leave those that needed no taxpayer bailout alone.

    He seems ready to punish perfectly successful organisations because they're successful and weathered the financial storm well - that's weird. Why not break up steelmaking or car making when they recover?

    With the banks, however, he's attempting to tinker with huge multinational corporations. The result could be disasterous for the UK as Financial Services are still its biggest money-spinner. He should reflect on the free markets meaning that people/corporations can move their capital and operations to wherever suits them best.

    It is enough to regulate their capital adequacy.

    When Cable announced this policy I decided not to vote Lib Dems.

    Besides, he's said nothing about the despised inheritance tax.

    You wouldn't be a banker would you??

    Self interest is easy to spot the trouble is getting a detergent strong enough to remove it.

  • Comment number 72.

    Jeremy Vine's scenario of Cons 278 Labour 260 and Lib Dem 80 and who should the Lib dems work with to form a Government is postulated on the inflexible and historical solution. Surely more respect for the electorate's wishes would be to form a proporionate Coalition from all parties and have a formal government for the next five years on a common manifesto. The PM would be from the party gaining the biggest share of the overall vote and cabinet ministers appointed on talent. The parties should then expend energy in solving the economic crisis, sustaining Britain and electoral reform for next time, rather than schoolchildren bickering in the Commons. This might give more confidence to the nervous financial institutions and European partners.

  • Comment number 73.

    "You are a great public speaker, But your policys wont' work at this time but your Lib -Dems are good on Cycle paths and Rubbish? but that wont' help the U.K. much. Your illegals' policys is very wrong, you want more Criminals to stay in this country? Why to be cheap labour and non tax paying ,to shady business? Many are here to work for criminal ganges in vice or drugs' Deport them all its the only sane policy.Fastrack them home. No Excuse, or court time, no expence for us taxpayers.

  • Comment number 74.

    re post 44 " Where are all the illegals living now - in houses etc?"

    Answer: We don't know where they are living but it you can be sure they are not living in Council or Housing Association homes which are already in a chronic shortage. It will certainly disadvantage anyone already on the extremely long housing list. Why should illegals get access to such housing for breaking the law?
    If as you say, they all may have kids - then the cost to our benefit system will be even higher. They would be eligible for child benefit, housing benefit, unemployment benefit etc. What about the impact on schools ?

    Finally you note that because they may have kids they wont be able to bring relatives to the UK. Yeah right! What about their parents , aunts uncles? [not mention kids which some will undoubtedly have abroad whatever you say]

    As for the alleged tax benefits to UK treasury (this unlikely to amount to much ). Moreover I suspect quite a few will send some of their earnings home to their country of origin - which will do little to boost the economy.

    The LD policy is completely misguided and will I am sure be quietly dropped after the election along with some other of thier ill thought out policies.

  • Comment number 75.

    I would be grateful if you could ask Nick Clegg the following questions:

    In scrapping the Trident project and reducing Eurofighter how much does Nick Clegg believe this will cost in termination liability clauses on the contracts and advanced technical demonstration programmes.

    What feedback has he got from the end user community (the MoD) on this policy and how broad a representation does he feel that is?

    What does he think the impact will be on the United Kingdom's strategic position globally?

    What does he think the impact will be on the mainly highly skilled jobs in the UK and in the associated supply chain which are dependant on these contracts?

    What advantage does he anticipate will be derived from the plan to scrap these projects?

    I would really appreciate some responses to these questions and would be very grateful if they were put to Mr. Clegg.

  • Comment number 76.

    56. At 12:45pm on 04 May 2010, Pete M wrote:

    "Isn't the maintenance of a tolerant society of more value than the selfish interests of Mr Clegg and his Party? Why does he want the BNP to be represented in parliament?"

    I don't think he has ever said that. The reason there are BNP candidates is because they are a legitimate political party. If they get an MP or 2, it's because the electorate want it and the majority there voted for it, not because you yourself don't want it. If the policies of a party reflect the opinions of a proportion of the electorate, shouldn't they be represented? Do you think it's fair that 10% of the country could support the policies of a party yet that party may not have a single MP, for example?

  • Comment number 77.

    What do you think of the Liberal Democrats' policies? Foolish

  • Comment number 78.

    Does Mr Clegg regret that amnesty for illegals policy? I suspect without it, he'd be well ahead in the polls by now.

  • Comment number 79.

    Why are your polices so barking mad?

  • Comment number 80.

    If the Conservatives obtain the highest number of votes and the highest number of seats but the Liberal Democrats go into an arrangement with Labour to keep them in power the Liberal Democrats will lose all credibility. The Liberal Democrats should 'stand back' and let the most popular party try to govern, opposing them only where absolutely necessary, but supporting them where they believe the country's interests are being protected.

  • Comment number 81.

    re 67
    Mr Clegg "Good on you . The fact Clegg has some "contentious" polices means he is sincere and this means he would be good for the country..etc".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------Alternative interpretation :
    He, and his party's dotty polices, are unworkable and opportunistic.

    Voting Clegg is taking a BIG risk just because he MAY be sincere. Chamberlain was sincere when he got a piece of paper from Hitler promising peace - but what good did that do?.[If my memory of school history is correct it wasn't long before we were at war despite his sincere assurances.] In any case I doubt Clegg's alleged sincerity - he's a politician isn't he?.

    I have my reservations about the ability of any leader however sincere, good looking and charming, who can agree such vacuous polices. It certainly doesn't inspire me to vote for him or his party.

  • Comment number 82.

    No, I didn't listen to him.

    I found cleaning out the shed to be more useful and enjoyable.

  • Comment number 83.

    60 At 12:46pm on 04 May 2010, Sue Denim wrote:
    "If you pay into something, you expect to get something out otherwise you stop paying and look at other options. As much as I sympathise with the plight of lower earners, I don't see why higher earners should subsidise them with no expectation of a return".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    A somewhat brutal way of looking at life?-and one that went out of general political favour in something like the 1850s. I'm afraid your second sentence there actually shows that you really don't sympathize with the plight of lower earners at all! Redistribution of wealth is one of the key things that politics is all about: whether it's right to let the rich run riot and hope some of the crumbs fall onto the floor for the poor to fight over, or redistribute whats on the table out of 'social justice' (whoever may have paid for it)
    Anyway you seem to have missed the point. DibbySpot's surely talking about what should be done with a one-off giveaway at the margin, which is very different from how people should be rewarded and taxed in general. You don't have to be Karl Marx to see some merit in a one-off benefit going entirely to the less well-off.
    You've obviously worked hard and deserve the rewards, but why do you think you "MORE than deserve" them? - what else do you want? Many wealthy people are of course remembered the more for deciding to give away substantial parts of their wealth, and perhaps some of them find in that an even greater reward than the making of it.

  • Comment number 84.

    How can he square his convictions eg. immigration & commitment to the euro & the EU with the vast majority in the country opposed to it.

  • Comment number 85.

    If Nick Clegg had an amnesty on illegals, does that mean all those who done things by the book, abided by the law and have paid out substantial amounts of cash for visas / passports etc, to settle in this country ask for their money back.
    If that went ahead, I would be recommending my son to send Nick Clegg, or who ever was in Govt. an Invoice for a reimbursement of all the, (substantial) fees paid to date. It would be only fair, or send in the bailiffs.
    Naive ridiculous policies.

  • Comment number 86.

    If I did something illegal (i.e. stole your car) and managed to get away with it for ten years would you let me off with it?

    If no then why do you propose this for illegal immigrants?

  • Comment number 87.

    Nick Clegg is the best Conservative leader they never had.

    But is he representative of the Lib Dem rank and file?

  • Comment number 88.

    "I am not going to take lectures from a bunch of retired establishment figures about the security of this country." Nick Clegg on former security service critics of the Lib Dems

    Interesting attitude, Mr Clegg. These people have worked in the service of their country for many years; they are probably worth listening to. Also, you are being two-faced here. I clearly remember you quoting a bunch of retired generals when they happened to say something about Trident that you agreed with!
    Also, I am confused about your snide referral to the "establishment"...I would have thought Caldicott and Westminster schools were very firmly part of the fabric of the "establishment". Or are you doing another Blair trick, who also had a privileged upbringing, abandoning your own personal background and history simply because it suits you to do so?

  • Comment number 89.

    My question; Have you considered a role within the EU where you can develop your wacky ideas?

  • Comment number 90.

    79. At 1:40pm on 04 May 2010, Toad In The Hole wrote:
    Why are your polices so barking mad?

    That's very funny, coming from a self-professed UKIP voter.

  • Comment number 91.

    Nick, can you tell us whether you would give an amnesty to illegal immigrants, and how long they would have to have been in this country for, and what language they would have to speak in order to qualify?
    Can you confirm whether you would raise the threshold at which tax payers start paying income tax, and to what level?
    Can you tell us whether you would increase or decrease class sizes in primary and secondary schools, and by how much?
    Thanks.

  • Comment number 92.

    69. At 1:06pm on 04 May 2010, in_the_uk wrote:
    I consider the BNP to speak a lot of sense but by proportional representation it will allow people to see if they are any good or not. After seeing the BNP in action in the EU I would love to see them be the voice of common sense here.

    I do fear the lib/lab conspiracy should either become 1 party or split. Their shady deals are sickening and you dont see the detested BNP doing that. Do they have better morals?

    Are you seriously suggesting that Nick Griffin and his cohorts inhabit some higher moral plain ? The only reason they wouldn't broker similar deals is that they have little or no bargaining power, and would struggle to find a single interested partner.

  • Comment number 93.

    Q&A could go like this:

    Q: What is your most frightening and most frequent nightmare?

    A: Waking up on Friday to find the Lib/Dems have actually won the general election and then having to form a government from a party who can't even decide whether they are Liberals or Democrats, instead of just talking about it in the safe and sure knowledge that I'll never have to actually do anything at all!

  • Comment number 94.

    Mr Clegg, you support unilateral nuclear disarmament and membership of the Euro. History has shown the first of these policies to be wrong, and is about to do the same to the second. Doesn’t this show you lack the judgement to be allowed anywhere near the levers of power?

  • Comment number 95.

    Why is it you describe the other main parties as old when I am sure the liberals have been around since the stone age?

  • Comment number 96.

    How does he think that encouraging illegal immigrants through an amnesty, joining the Euro and greater European integration, letting short-term prisoners out of jail, and failing to safeguard our energy supplies by relying on wind power will help the UK?

  • Comment number 97.

    Nick Clegg has very vaguely outlined a reduction in taxes on salaries and wages, but can he explain how this can possibly benefit the economy and help reduce the national economic deficit?
    For a brilliant election satire enter 'election poker debte' into youtube.

  • Comment number 98.

    92. At 3:56pm on 04 May 2010, Mr Cholmondley-Warner wrote:

    Are you seriously suggesting that Nick Griffin and his cohorts inhabit some higher moral plain ? The only reason they wouldn't broker similar deals is that they have little or no bargaining power, and would struggle to find a single interested partner.

    --------------------------------------------

    No I dont think they 'inhabit some higher moral plain'. They dont broker these deals because they dont betray their belief. They had the chance to with UKIP but didnt. They could tell voters to go lib to get the proportional rep but they dont because the libs policies (good or bad) are incompatible with the BNP. The BNP consider illegal immigrants to be illegal, hence breaking the law.

    The libs offer amnisty to the illegals as was done with guns. Law abiding people will give in their guns yet those breaking the law dont.

  • Comment number 99.

    "Nick Clegg, why won't you swallow your pride and join forces with Labour to defeat the Tories for ever? Deep down, at rock bottom, aren't you and Labour on the same side? You could correct each others' mistakes, take the best of both parties' ideas. The alternative is to help the Tories. Is that what you REALLY want?"

  • Comment number 100.

    No I didn't.

    What the Lib Dems are doing is putting up a pretty face (copying New Lab with Blair) and devising a set of so-called policies to attract votes rather than a coherent package of measures that would make sense in governing a country.

    The object of the exercise is to gain seats and force electoral change - there is one big problem, however...

    This is not the time to do that. With a country in desperate need of strong government the horse-trading that goes with a hung parliament would make it impossible to reduce public spending and they know it. But being politicians, they don't care - as long as they get their hands on some leverage.

    I have shifted towards Cameron in this campaign. I may be wrong but I think he means to do the right things for society and with experienced people like Ken Clarke he should have the team to do it.

    If we get a hung parliament we will probably lose our AAA credit rating and then God help us. We may as well move to Greece - at least the sun shines there.

 

Page 1 of 2

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.