BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say

What would you ask the former UKIP leader?

16:45 UK time, Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Jeremy VineFormer UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage faced questioning by the BBC's Jeremy Vine on Thursday. What would you like to know?

Mr Farage is running for Commons Speaker John Bercow's usually uncontested seat and last week joined with current UKIP leader Lord Pearson to launch the party's anti-EU manifesto.

Nigel Farage became UKIP leader in 2006, but stood down in 2009 ahead of his bid for a Parliament seat. He continues to lead UKIP's group of MEPs in Brussels, where he has represented the South East since 1999.

What do you think of the UK Independence Party's policies? Which policies would you like to ask Nigel Farage about? What broader issues would you like to discuss with the UKIP candidate?

In the third in a series of interviews with party leaders, Jeremy Vine interviewed Nigel Farage during his programme on Radio 2 between 1pm and 2pm on Thursday 22 April 2010. To see how listeners reacted to the interview online, click here

This debate has now been closed. Thank you for your comments.

Comments

Page 1 of 2

• Comment number 1.

This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

• Comment number 2.

How quickly can you get the UK out of the EU?

• Comment number 3.

• Comment number 4.

UKIP seems to be run by a small clique of very wealthy businessmen - How do we know you have the interests of the whole nation at heart?

Why has UKIP recently jumped on the Islamophobic band wagon - What does backing a campaign asking muslims to tear out part of the Koran have to do with Britain leaving the EU?

• Comment number 5.

Free trade agreements are the way to go. Without the shackles of Europe which trading partners would you envisage being of optimum value to the UK?

• Comment number 6.

Why are you flouting tradition to run against the Speaker?

If elected, how do you propose to fulfil your obligations as both an MP and a MEP?

• Comment number 7.

• Comment number 8.

As an alternative to the late lamented screaming Lord Sutch, your policies are very middle of the road. Come on Nigel give em all both barrels. I hope you are made Speaker in a hung Parliament. Just so long as Black Rod locks you all in and chucks the key in the Thames.

• Comment number 9.

Today our national debt will be declared at about £770 billion

Does the UK pay more into the EU more than it gets out? If so, how much?
    What other countries are in the same position (Germany?)

I believe in the old saying 'charity begins at home' and when things are tight why are we subsidising other EU countries?

• Comment number 10.

After exposing incompetence, waste and downright arrogance within the EU and it's unelected hierarchy, what would you propose to fix it and how would you go about reducing/removing the UK's integration into the EUSSR?

• Comment number 11.

• Comment number 12.

What's his stance on MP's expenses, does he believe that MP's deserve Any.
    What kind of punishments can we expect for the PM to enact on MPs who
    misbehave?

What does he think of ID Cards? and the GPS tracking Road Pricing Scheme?

What changes to the police force would he make, to tackle unruly mobs and keep streets clean?

Will he scrap the "Digital Economy Bill"?

What will he do this time, if his party's box is last on the list and "folded under" again?

and most importantly of all, on which day can we expect his European Referendum?

• Comment number 13.

You don't support Britain's membership of the EU yet you are happy to take a handsome salary as an MEP. Hypocrisy?

• Comment number 14.

I would ask Mr. Farage why he was so unforgiveably rude to the President of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy, whom he accused of having "the charisma of a damp rag" and "the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk". Not content with insulting M. van Rompuy, he went on to insult Belgium, referring to it as "a non-country".
    This ex-City broker is an arrogant and discourteous man who, amazingly, manages to make even Nick Griffin seem civilized. It is entirely in keeping with the awkward nature of Mr. Farage, that he is contesting Speaker John Bercow's Buckingham seat, in the forthcoming election.

• Comment number 15.

Something that Britain would no longer be!

• Comment number 16.

Not sure what I'd ask him, but I'd sure vote for him, or any UKIP candidate if there was one standing in my constituency. It does not seem right that I am not able to vote for the party I want to rule. He's the only politician who talks sense.

• Comment number 17.

When is your joke party going to disappear?

• Comment number 18.

As an ex-member of HM Forces, I am interested in your exit plan for Afghanistan. What is your opinion on why we went in and how do we get out? I believe we have sustained too many casualties (killed & severely injured) to give this "war" credence.

• Comment number 19.

15. At 09:38am on 22 Apr 2010, europhile wrote:

"If UKIP, who are in my opinion the thinking mans BNP ever got to power, I would ask that I could retain my EU citizenship long enough to cross the channel and gain refugee status in a free democratic country.

Something that Britain would no longer be! "

You think the EU is democratic? Name name one EU voter got to vote for Baroness Ashton and Herman Van Rompuy. These are 'our' EU President and Foreign Affair representative. You're having a laugh aren't you?

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/6609824/Van-Rompuy-and-Baroness-Ashton-given-top-EU-jobs.html

• Comment number 20.

Why do you mislead people over the way the EU really works, distorting the relative roles of the Commission and the Council, and portraying it as 'Them' all ganging up against gallant little Britain?
    And in the unlikely event of our leaving, how would you explain our accelerating decline into shabbiness and unemployment, given that tradewise we need them much more than they need us, and the multinationals with European Headquarters here would move across the Channel as fast as they could?
    What new trading patterns would you put in place immediately to replace what we'd be losing and safeguard British jobs
    Have you never looked at a map of the world and seen how insignificant a stretch of water is the Channel now we're in the 21st Century?
    Have you never read our history and traced our part in Europe over hundreds of years, except in the terms of Horatio Hornblower dishing the French?

• Comment number 21.

If UKIP get in to power or, are in a position to influence decisions,
    1. What would the timetable be to pull out of the EU
    2. Would you put a complete stop on immigration.
    3. What would your timetable be for the start of repatriation of illegal immigrants and those in our midst that emigrated here but despise us.
    4. Will you tell the truth about the so-called global economy and it's detrimental effect on British jobs, particularly manufacturing.
    5. Would you have the courage to impose import tariffs on goods from those countries that we cannot fairly compete with. Without import tariffs, we will end up a third world nation, that is the goal of the multi-nationals and their greedy quest to control the world.

• Comment number 22.

• Comment number 23.

Does he not realise, that as with other political partys, over 60% of his/partys policies are just pure attrocious.

From what I see, hear, and read ALL the partys standing for election, especially the largest partys each have a few policys that many people think, yes ok this sounds ok and fits in, but the remainer of policys are just so often down right attrocious and in fact VERY dangerous to UK economy & UK citizens.

Nigel Farage, as with Brown, Clegg & Cameron, NEEDS to pull his neck in & have a big reality check because NONE of these muppets posing as potential Prime ministers meet the god like status that they believe they are.

These politician muppets are just glorified double glazing salesmen, they will say anything to get you to sign on the day, they are not bothered about mis-representation, mis-information, leaving out and hiding the small print.

If we wonder why the UK is in such a mess, just look at the political muppets we have poncing around with their simple & terrible policys, just look at the distance between them all on policys and idealism.

I think this election is the scariest UK election for decades, I doubt that its outcome will "make or break" Britain I think that the ONLY outcome will be that it will just "break" Britain, just in different ways depending on which party has more power.

• Comment number 24.

Amazing the vitriol being poured on the only party that wants us to rule ourselves (apart from the BNP of course, but they don't count).

Vote for the big 3, suckers, and you'll continue to be told what to do by Brussels.

• Comment number 25.

To all true patriotic Britons, the idea of our Nation being subject to control by people who have not been elected by and are accountable to the British People is anathema. Please continue to apply all the pressure you can muster to the earliest possible withdrawal of Britain from the EU.

• Comment number 26.

What would Nissan, Honda, Toyoto, Ford and Vauxhall's response be to withdrawal from the EU? How many jobs would Britain lose? What would be the response of the people of Scotland and Wales, because UKIP seems to be a primarily southern English party of wealthy businessmen?

• Comment number 27.

I want to vote for a party with traditional right-wing views, but the Conservatives seem to have moved into the same middle ground as Labour.

Do I risk another 5 years of Labour by voting for UKIP?

• Comment number 28.

I would ask if it is not too late for UKIP to change its pro fox hunting policy. I was going to vote for UKIP because of its anti EU stance, but no way am I going to support fox hunting. So that is the Tories and UKIP eliminated.

• Comment number 29.

I would ask him if he regrets undoing his good performance in the Euro elections with his frankly disgusting personal attack on van Rompuy.

• Comment number 30.

25. At 10:23am on 22 Apr 2010, big al wrote:

You mean like the unelected House of Lords & plethora of Quangos (also unelected) that also tell us what to do?

• Comment number 31.

Would the UKIP shadow defence member be as careless as the Conservative shadow defence secretary Dr Fox and leave a laptop and a mobile telephone in a car? Not much hope there for the defence and security of the country if the Tories cannot defend a lap top and a mobile phone?

• Comment number 32.

Should Buckingham's consituancy be renamed, Hobson's?

• Comment number 33.

Hitler also had some good ideas and so did Stalin, the fact remains that they both forced/dictated inflicted many attrocious ideas and policys upon their peoples and the world.

They promised their peoples a better world, a better life, and especially a "CHANGE" from the old.

What can Nigel Farage and UKIP actually guarantee. Can they actually guarantee a stronger and more sustainable UK economy, less crime, less waste, less governing incompetance.

The fact is. NO THEY CANNOT

• Comment number 34.

• Comment number 35.

I would like to thank the Daily Mail and The Sun for today helping me decide to vote Lib Dem. Their pathetic lead stories are a clear attempt to undermine and insult the intelligence of the general British public, and much like Labour and Conservative politicians they've failed to pick up on the deep loathing for the 'main two' parties.

• Comment number 36.

My job depends on us being a full member of the EU why do you want to put me out of work.

• Comment number 37.

Nigel,you are the only one in this "election"so far,to say anything I agree completely with.I hope you oust Mr Bercow and I hope the party does well in this "election"..If you(and your party) could force a referendum on our membership of the EU,the entire country would be grateful and in your debt..When I've heard you speak,in the EU chamber and in interview,I have thought that,here is a man we could maybe trust to do the right things.You talk a good fight and you give a good fight,the best of British to you..You have my support,as I'm sure you have the support of a very large swathe of the thinking British public..I'm not voting against anyone.I'm voting FOR REAL CHANGE...Do not let us down,if you can help it..GO NIGEL!

• Comment number 38.

We know Farage doesn't like us being controlled from Brussels.

Closer to home, what does he think about the English being controlled, or at least heavily influenced, by Scottish MPs voting on English only matters??

• Comment number 39.

Can i shake your hand Mr. Farage?

• Comment number 40.

Nigel: Does UKIPs vision of referenda on demand, and free trade, mean Britain's relationship with the EU should templated on the excellent one Switzerland has?

• Comment number 41.

Your average person born and bred in this country (even from the former colonies) tend to be Euro sceptic, although there is an element of gloryfying the EU at school now to change opinions in the next generation which is succeeding. As an party to the right of the Conservatives on immigration and the EU which again attract people, but predominately centre ground on day to day issues. Why can you make no break through in a general election? Do people see you as a looney fringe party like the British National Party and you suffer as a result?

• Comment number 42.

Len Day, if you read UKIP policy, you would know that they are anti-Quango too. But whatever, Quango's and the House of Lords are British institutions and if we have total control of our own laws and Government, we can change them. The EU is NOT UNDER OUR CONTROL - WE ARE UNDER IT'S CONTROL - that is the difference.

• Comment number 43.

I'd ask him didn't he think it was high time he and his supporters stopped living in the past? I can appreciate they haven't quite grasped that the Empire has gone and so has the might that went with it. However the facts are that we are now a middle ranking nation and as such should embrace our European allies. Voting for a party that is inherently xenophobic and deluded isn't in the best interests of the UK.

As for their argument that the EU costs too much money - a simple solution would be to take a cleaver to our our public sector money pit!

• Comment number 44.

What would you do if invited on the live election debate?

• Comment number 45.

what would you do if invited onto the TV election debates? What message would you get across to the British public?

• Comment number 46.

15. At 09:38am on 22 Apr 2010, europhile wrote:

Something that Britain would no longer be!

========================

I'm sure you would be more than welcome to cross the channel at anytime. But why you would choose to live in a country governed by bureaucrats with a protectionst agenda who's Brussels elite have power but have not been elected, and those who have been elected have no power, is beyond me. If that's what you call democracy, you can keep it.

• Comment number 47.

21. At 09:58am on 22 Apr 2010, Toothpick Harry wrote:
    If UKIP get in to power or, are in a position to influence decisions,
    1. What would the timetable be to pull out of the EU
    2. Would you put a complete stop on immigration.

Thanks for confirming by long held belief that Universal Suffrage isn't the Holy Grail of democracy afterall!

• Comment number 48.

34. At 10:41am on 22 Apr 2010, Woolfbane wrote:
    -------------------------------------
    Perhaps they can remember beter times when we ruled ourselves.

• Comment number 49.

35. At 10:43am on 22 Apr 2010, PaulC76 wrote:

-----

I just read the Torygraph at work in my break, its got about 6 pages on why Nick Clegg is evil.

When the establishment is this scared you know that voting Lib Dem is the right thing to do.

As for UKIP I'm frankly suprised at the sheer lack of support shown on these pages. Its starting to look like this election could be UKIP's last hurrah.

No Great Loss.

• Comment number 50.

Nigel.....i am a fully paid up member of UKIP, however, I dont agree with the 31% flat tax rate. My wages vary year to year because of the hours and job i do, Now if one year i earn £11,000 and the next year i earn £12,000 why should i end up taking home LESS than i would do the year before?

• Comment number 51.

UKIP say "we call for national holidays for St David and St George" Wales is devolved and we don't need UKIP to tell us what to do thanks. Have enough of that from a Labour government and previous goverments. At least most Welsh important issues now are decided in Wales, by people living here. Perhaps UKIP should get England out of the EU but Wales gets funding from the EU that is needed here so your policies do not apply here in the same way.

• Comment number 52.

Nigel, while I agred with your comments in general terms about Van Rumpey as he is not the type of man who would "stop the traffic" to use the term that was on the original specification of the job and Belgium as a country is divided and would probably split were it not for the EU. Yet when Daniel Hannan did a similiar attack on Gordon Brown it is not reported in the way yours was. This bias against your party makes you look like a fringe party of fanatics. How do you change this perception to make people see you as a genuine alternative.

• Comment number 53.

45. At 11:01am on 22 Apr 2010, Jonathan Wong wrote:

..........................................................

If you had seen him with Paxman last saturday you would know that he would make a complete fool of himself.

• Comment number 54.

How is it that you and UKIP have absolutely no presence on the political stage unless elections are taking place. Is UKIP merely a 'safety valve' party who's purpose is to bleed votes away from other small parties? One would be forgiven for thinking this as your policies echo those of the BNP and yet you come across as a 'sanitised' version of them. Personally i would be seriously concerned that my ukip vote be wasted.

• Comment number 55.

When he was interviewed on the World at One on Tuesday this week the UKIP party leader, Lord Pearson, was asked by a caller a question what the position of UKIP is on Disablity Payments. Lord Pearson replied that he 'was not a professional politian' and did not know the intimate details of all of UKIPs policies' (the caller was concern after hearing a UKIP candidate state that UKIP was opposed to the current levels of Disabilty Payments).

Irrespective of whether the claim about Disablity Payments is correct or not, how can voters have any confidence in voting for a party whose leader admits he doesn't understand his own parties policies?

• Comment number 56.

I never understand the ultra-nationalistic agenda of groups like UKIP - it is so out of sync with so many of us.

I have always worked for small companies and over many years being in the EU has benefited me massively.

I am a British Citizen, but EU membership gives me the freedom of a far wider culture.

A Norwegian friend of mine put it this way. "We are outside and cut off. Sweden out performs us in every way because of the EU."

• Comment number 57.

Why do you enjoy petty insults and personal attacks, and what does this say about the substance of your party?

• Comment number 58.

While Buckingham is a traditional safe Tory seat, how are you going to attract the Labour and Liberal vote (with them complying with comvention and not standing against the speaker) as well as atracting enough disgruntled Tory voters who see John Bercow as being closer to Labour than his own party. If I lived in that constituency I would vote UKIP for tactical reasons to remove Bercow from parliament then, but otherwise see a vote for UKIP as a vote prejudicing the chance of a Conservative government.

• Comment number 59.

• Comment number 60.

I've just seen a photo of Mr Farage, and guess what he looks like - a fatcat banker with dyed hair, with the charisma of a BNP member. I won't lower myself to insult England. Do you mind being insulted Mr Farage - sauce for the goose?

• Comment number 61.

To SAT_TIRE the reason UKIP cannot break into the Westminster Parliament is the same one that will mean that the Liberal Democrats will only achieve about 90 seats, always assuming they manage to hold on to the surge in popularity they are currently enjoying. PaulC76 might note this too.
    Our current parliamentary system is geared to a two party election. At the moment, the constituency structure is geared in favour of Labour, so the Tories will need to work very hard to win a majority. The Lib. Dems. have an almost impossible task to win a majority, and the minor parties such as UKIP, Greens et al are on a hiding to nothing.
    The key danger for those fed up with Gordon Brown and Labour is that effectively, under the current system, only the Tories have any chance of getting rid of Brown and Labour, and too many votes in favour of Lib Dems, UKIP, Greens or any of the others, mean it is more likely that Brown will hang on to power by default. It is a sad inditement of our electoral sytem, but that is the basic fact - vote for any party other than Tory and you are more likely to get Brown.

• Comment number 62.

I'd have to ask him is if it depressing that a rant at a level of sophistication that a five-year-old would be ashamed of impresses quite a few people in this country.

• Comment number 63.

42. At 11:00am on 22 Apr 2010, big al wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This argument that we are under the EU's thumb is at the heart of British mis-understanding of the EU. Why can't people see that if we positioned ourselves at the heart of the EU, by adopting the Euro as our currency ASAP and really getting stuck in, then they will be sibject to what we want every bit as much as we will be subject to what they want. By pussy-footing around, and bickering among ourselves, instead of just getting on with it, we leave ourselves at the periphery with greatly reduced influence.
    People like Farage do more damage to the UK than do it good. He is a backward looking nonentity, as is his stupid party, and if people choose to vote for them all that will happen is Gordon Brown will walk straight back into number 10, because the Tory vote will have been split by UKIP.

• Comment number 64.

6. At 09:18am on 22 Apr 2010, Megan wrote:

"What is your reaction to those of us who, if push comes to shove, would rather be citizens of Europe than of an non-EU UK?"

Go live in France.

• Comment number 65.

"What would you do about all the illegals, who live here? and Afaganistan?

• Comment number 66.

Keep up the good work. Every vote you get is one less for the Tories. As there is no chance of you ever getting in (Thank god) and your doing such a good job helping keep Cameron out (Well done), it is a win win for those of use who want to take this country forward.

While you and your cronies make fools of yourself, we'll go ahead and vote for real change by voting for the Liberal Democrats. The great thing is, it does not involve any old school ties or dodgy handshakes, just clear thinking and a look at the cold hard facts about how a 21st Century Briton needs to be run in order to stand a chance in the real world.

• Comment number 67.

36. At 10:49am on 22 Apr 2010, frankiecrisp wrote:

Most peoples job depends on that, they just can't see it.

• Comment number 68.

34 Woolfblane - Question; Why were so many of UKIP's meeting attended by the elderley.
    Answer; Because older people have more sense, heard the saying ' been there, done it, heard it all before'.
    Problem is with politicians at election time, they'll tell you anything, they tell you untruths, bicker amongst each other, all they want is your vote and people are so gullable. Being politically correct is a bit like rising damp, unless you treat the cause it gets worse and in extreme cases, irreparable damage. That damage has been caused to our society by both labour and conservatives but mostly by labour over the last two decades at least. Just like individuals countries need their own unique identity, as a nation we've lost ours. We have the EU interfering in our affairs, most of the nation see the damage excessive immigration has done and labour just lie and squirm with lie after lie as to the figures involved. Older people remember the green and pleasant land, the land they fought for to remain free, not to be invaded by stealth from a myriad of other nations people who have nothing in common with us, don't want to intergrate in to our culture or society and in some cases they despise us. Like any infection, if it's left untreated the prognosis is bleak.

• Comment number 69.

All this user's posts have been removed.Why?

• Comment number 70.

1 How will you distinguish illegal immigrants from people entitled to be here, given that we have no ID card system, nor do police have a power to demand production of identification for immigration purposes at present.

2 Free trade with the EU - what will you do if the EU says "non", and how will you deal with any job losses which result from a change in trade patterns?

• Comment number 71.

Given that the Euro which used to be worth about 69p is now worth nearer 90p, what problem do you have with the single currency? The much vaunted independence of action which keeping the pound has given the UK has resulted in a huge devaluation of the currency, with all the problems which go with it.
    Speaking personally, I don't care if I am paid in Pounds, Euros, Pesetas, Zonks or whatever, just as long as I have plenty of them.

• Comment number 72.

64. At 11:22am on 22 Apr 2010, rjimmer wrote:

6. At 09:18am on 22 Apr 2010, Megan wrote:

Go live in France.

• Comment number 73.

Big Al, your comment applies if a third party hijack the party, as the Liberated Dimwits are threatening to do at present.

UKIP are different, in a general election they lack penetration in either first past the post or proportional representation. The jist of the comment was how can people vote for the Liberated Dimwits in protest against the other two parties, when its not a real protest at all in a general election as they all have flawed and failed immigration policies. UKIP need to change that and they are not doing so. That is what I want Nigel Farage to comment on.

You will see in a later post (# 58) that I agree with what you saying regarding a vote for New Liars or Touchy Feely Tory. The real problem is that UKIP probably have the better policies in general, but voting for them is a wasted vote an could allow Gordon Gimmick back in to finish the job off and totally destroy Britain

• Comment number 74.

why don't you just come out and admit to the fact that you simply don't like foreigners?

• Comment number 75.

If anyone wants to see why we should not be in the Euro, go to Dublin for a long weekend, you will come back having been raped financially, £7 for a beer, food costing more than double in this country. Yet before monetary union Ireland was slightly more expensive than the UK, nows its twice as costly and people are suffering who live there. My taxi driver from the airport drives to Newry in Ulster to do his shopping.

The USA has a strong currency generally and cannot have monetary policy that takes in the vagaries of regional development, yet the European Central Bank thought they could do the same on a bigger geographical spread and its been an unmitigating disaster for those less sophisticated economies. This country would be even worse off now, if we had joined the Euro.

Whats that old adage about learning from mistakes? or possibly the definition of insanity when you try and do what has been tried over and over with the same result thinking you can get the right result this time.

• Comment number 76.

38. At 10:51am on 22 Apr 2010, Graham wrote:

The SNP refuse to vote on English only matters -they say its not fair for them to do so.
    So its only some Scots MPs. The majority of those who do vote are NuLiebour and if they didn't NuLiebour wouldn't be able to pass anything for England that the Tories didn't agree with.

• Comment number 77.

• Comment number 78.

UKIP's main policy is total withdrawal from the EU, but UKIP are never challenged on how they intend to do this. How would Britain's economy cope if we were to withdraw from the EU - causing a massive rift with the countries where more than 50% of our exports go and more than 50% of our imports come?

• Comment number 79.

I'd like to ask Mr Farage why he seems to imply that all of the problems we have in this country are caused by Europe. As someone who has worked all over the world and seen the benefits of an integrated approach to the major issues facing the planet, it seems to me that the argument put forward is one that says we would be better off going back to some mythical heyday of trading relationships with the rest of the world, none of which exist or are likely to exist in the future.

• Comment number 80.

I would ask Mr Farage why would I bother. He offers no, sensible,alternative to EU membership, and I am not sure what else he has to offer. He certainly doesn't come across as interested in the people of this Country, he and his party look like a load of self servers, not a party I would vote for.

• Comment number 81.

The enthusiasm displayed for Nick Clegg following the TV debate shows clearly that the citizens of the UK do long for 'real change' in the way we are governed. Sadly, although Nick Clegg referred to the '2 old parties' and Lib Dems being a vehicle for change that is not the political reality as the Lib Dems are every bit as much an 'old party' as the Labour and Conservative parties.

There will be no 'real change' until we regain our National Sovereignty by leaving the EU whereas Nick Clegg wants to further cede what little is left of our sovereignty to Brussels. There will be no 'real change' until we regain our National Identity that has been diluted to the point of non-existence by unchecked immigration due very much to the EU 'open door' policy and Nick Clegg fully supports this and wants to legalise a huge number of illegal immigrants currently within our borders. There will be no 'real change' until we restore our National Finances and the most significant way to do this is to withdraw from the finance-sapping EU and of course Nick Clegg wants us to join the Euro which means we cannot act independently where National Finances are concerned.

As for David Cameron and Gordon Brown warning about the Lib Dem attitude to the EU that really is a case of the pots calling the kettle black as the Tories and Labour are no defenders of our sovereignty against the EU juggernaut.

I would also make mention of 'an enhanced Child Benefit, payable for each of the first three children in a family' as worded in the UKIP manifesto. I'm sure many people like myself are disgusted with the way recent governments have turned producing babies into a cottage industry funded by the tax payer and it appears to have particular appeal to 'lonely lassies' wanting to set up a tax-funded place to live and 'lazy couples' wanting to do anything but work for a living.

For 'real change' there is only one real option and that is UKIP.

• Comment number 82.

Farages actions in standing against the Speaker send a strange message to the voters... Is he just being a pain in the bum or just taking advantage of the status quo of no one standing against the Speaker (that is a definite safe seat)... I can see that we should not have such a thing as a safe seat (what about the voters in his constituency??), but Mr Farage comes across as smug and self serving, so I don't trust his motives...he also gets too much air time on Question TIme.

• Comment number 83.

Why do you propose a burka ban ? when most Muslim do not wear it, in particular 99.99% British Born Muslims do not wear so the burka will die naturally. A Burka Ban would be seen as an attack on Islam, just as banning the people from wearing the necklace with the Cross would be seen as a attack on Christianity even tho many Christians choose not to wear the Cross

• Comment number 84.

ANswer to comment 72. I have lived in France and its a very pleasant place with lots going for it. But "GO live in France" is no answer to the EU... WHat is the alternative?? Seriously, do we stand alone and have no major markets open to us, and suffer the vagaries of that, or do we join the Americans and become the 51 (is it??) State? OR do we rely on our Commonwealth friends.... errrr... I think I would rather stick with the EU and push push push to reform the worst of it, and stop the burgeoning federalism... Make it accountable etc etc.. al lot like we need from our National GOvernment.

• Comment number 85.

To ask Mr Farage to a civilised debate would be the same as asking an English Football supporter to attend the European Parliament. After the way Mr Farage behaved in the European Parliament a few weeks ago I would be very sceptical about allowing him to participate in any civilised, democratic debate. He really should learn some manners first.

• Comment number 86.

Two thirds of Britains exports are with countries in the EU. Do you really, honestly, believe that pulling Britain out of the EU will not result in the loss of any jobs in this country?

• Comment number 87.

"#6. At 09:18am on 22 Apr 2010, Megan wrote:
    ....What is your reaction to those of us who, if push comes to shove, would rather be citizens of Europe than of an non-EU UK?"

Ferry ticket to Calais?

• Comment number 88.

"#7. At 09:24am on 22 Apr 2010, Len Day wrote:
    Why doesn't he realise that Europe is the way forward socially, economically, and militarily? Doesn't he realise that it has always been, and will always be human instinct to gather together in ever larger groups, from the family based tribe, through to small county sized kingdoms, then onto countries, United Kingdoms of 2 or more countries, to eventually federations & beyond. Why doesn't he realise that it has always been thus? Oh, and who is he anyway - I don't recognise this character who looks more & more like a washed up & worn out version of Daffy Duck every time he appears on Question Time to spout his drivel."

For a minute there I thought you were trying to make a serious point.

• Comment number 89.

How can you hope to gain any support if you only have one policy?

• Comment number 90.

Does not Mr. Farrage realise that Britain needs the EU in order to survive; our natural resources are diminished nearly to the level of zero. However good and able our "educated" youthful population becomes they will be competing against the newly educated and very able millions (billions?) of India, China, Indonesia and South America, the already established 100s of millions in the developed world and 40 or 50 years from now 100s of millions of Africans. How many of "our" jobs have gone abroad already including those for the more technically and scientifically able. Competition only works for the good of the ordinary people within narrow limits, co-operation would be a far more successful route to follow and this is what is on offer within the EU.

The days and glory of the British Empire are history (as happens with all empires), the EU was established in the aftermath of the second world war, the opportunity for establishing EFTA as a geo-economic force collapsed as did the possibilities for economic development with the Commonwealth, largely due to a narrow mindedness on the part of the politicians in power at the time, a narrow mindedness such as that espoused by UKIP. The EU system suffers from a lot of corruption, but then so did (does?) Westminster, the answer to both these problems is to stay in and fight for solutions. Yes Europe does cost us, but it also gives us great opportunities, and it offers the prospect of a lasting peace in the continent of which we are just an offshore island.

It is time for Mr. Farrage to forget the farrago of nonsense espoused by UKIP and develop more forward thinking policies that relate to the real modern world in which we live.

• Comment number 91.

"#15. At 09:38am on 22 Apr 2010, europhile wrote:

Something that Britain would no longer be!"

Why? If democratically elected why would Britain immediately cease to be democratic? Europhiles often label those who would leave the EU of being 'little Englanders', yet here we can see the the desparate attempts to smear in the absence of a valid arguement, and also the complete detatchment with reality, there is little as un-democratic as the EU!

• Comment number 92.

"#34. At 10:41am on 22 Apr 2010, Woolfbane wrote:
    UKIP recently held a meeting in my area and as people were leaving I noticed that they were all elderly - certainly the 65 to 90 age group. Why do you think your party appeals especially to so many older voters?"

Perhaps because they can remember a time when this country was not subservient to europe, when there was political choice on the EU/EEC, and they recall we didn't all starve as a concequence.

• Comment number 93.

84. At 12:20pm on 22 Apr 2010, Mike M wrote:

ANswer to comment 72. I have lived in France and its a very pleasant place with lots going for it. But "GO live in France" is no answer to the EU... WHat is the alternative?? Seriously, do we stand alone and have no major markets open to us, and suffer the vagaries of that, or do we join the Americans and become the 51 (is it??) State? OR do we rely on our Commonwealth friends.... errrr... I think I would rather stick with the EU and push push push to reform the worst of it, and stop the burgeoning federalism... Make it accountable etc etc.. al lot like we need from our National Government.

Hi Mike - if you take a look at my comment #72, you will see that it is a response to #64 - my comment, like this one, is under the dotted line! In fact, if you check out another post by me - #63, you will see a very similar argument to the one you present above, with the exception that I am in favour of a Federal Europe. Cheers!

• Comment number 94.

"Older people remember the green and pleasant land, the land they fought for to remain free"

As an older person I remember the land of the past very well indeed. I remember sub-standard education. I remember large scale unemployment. I remember lack of medical care because of an inability to pay the sum demanded. I remember dead end jobs, bomb damaged buildings, a rather vicious class system and many other things too numerous to mention here. If it is true that older people are attracted to UKIP policies, I can only assume that they have not read those policies properly, or that they have defective memories. Maybe it was a green and pleasant land - for some. Not all. Maybe I've misunderstood UKIP policies in my reading of the manifesto, and in such a case I should certainly want to be assured that there would be no return to a past which wasn't as glorious or as comfortable as it is often made out to be.

• Comment number 95.

Maybe if UKIP were in any way electable then it would be worth asking them a question, but the fact remains is that the ONLY answers they will give are well practised and rehearsed and only what they want to tell you.

No different to Labour/Torys or Lib dems.

Who would have thought that by voting for Labour at the last election, parents would be criminalised for taking their children and friends to various activitys.

Labour & Torys are basically centre politics partys, so it just makes me wonder what some of the outrageous policys/laws and regulations these off centre partys would actually inflict and force upon the nation.

• Comment number 96.

• Comment number 97.

How's the retirement going ??

• Comment number 98.

Pulling out of the EU would make our trading position weaker as we would not be part of the club as it were. How is this a good thing?

Also being a totally independent country means we would have to be responsible for all our defence and not really being able to share the burden, maybe even working against Europe in some areas. Again please explain how this is a good thing and also how to we afford to do this?

I am English born but consider myself a European.

• Comment number 99.

"#72. At 11:52am on 22 Apr 2010, Len Day wrote:
    'What is your reaction to those of us who, if push comes to shove, would rather be citizens of Europe than of an non-EU UK?'

Go live in France.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that the best you can come up with - 'Go live in France?' Thank-you for proving just how stupid ukip types are."

Actually Len I think you'll find it is a valid and informative response to the question posed. If the UK decided to leave the EU and an individual wanted to live in the EU, it would seem the only option.

If of course the Europhiles had the backbone to fight for their beliefs, something the EU won't encourage of course, they would stick around and campaign for re-entry. It's called democracy, we still just about have it here despite the best efforts of Brussells to ignore us.

• Comment number 100.

Why do you and your party seek to make us even more of a satellite state to the US, and our jobs even more likely to be pawns in a game of globalisation?
    Why does your party seek to remove even the very limited rights that UK workers have?
    Do you agree with UKIP Euro-mp Godfrey Bloom that employers would be 'mad' to consider employing women of child-bearing age?
    Why have two of your small number of your UKIP MEPs been found guilty of fraud? Does no-one vet your candidates?
    Why have you chosen to align yourselves politically in Europe with a group that includes racists and anti-Semites?

Page 1 of 2