BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say
« Previous | Main | Next »

Should the US and China co-operate over Iran?

09:11 UK time, Friday, 2 April 2010

President Obama has made a direct appeal to Chinese President Hu Jintao for the two countries to co-operate on the Iranian nuclear issue. Do you think this strategy will be successful?

Mr Obama stressed "the importance of working together to ensure that Iran lives up to its... obligations." For his part, President Hu called for "healthy and stable" relations.

China, a veto-wielding UN Security Council member with strong ties to Iran, has in the past expressed reluctance to see new sanctions imposed.

Do you think China will change its position on Iran? Should Iran face tougher sanctions? Are you concerned about Iran's nuclear programme?

Comments

Page 1 of 8

  • Comment number 1.

    China has too much interest in Iran and would not want thinks to change. The yanks and the other hand, hate Iran and would love to see Iran fall.

  • Comment number 2.

    Oh be quiet America, and stop policing the world. Look inside your own borders before keep telling everyone else on that planet what they can and can't do!

  • Comment number 3.

    No, it's unlikely to be successful. Let's not forget that this is the same China that armed the Sudanese government for its genocidal slaughter of its fellow Muslims in Darfur, simply because they are black. China has oil interests in Sudan and those interests come way ahead of any concern for those slaughtered in Darfur. Similarly, China has strong trade links with Iran and I have no doubt that China would be quite prepared to see a nuclear-armed Iran hold the world to ransom rather than jeopardise its trade with the Islamic republic.

  • Comment number 4.

    Iran would be stupid not to build a bomb. Israel and America both have nuclear bombs. Both countries are occupying others. The US is occupying two of Iran's neighbours, is patrolling the Gulf and continually threatens Iran, as does Israel. So I would be 100% in support of Iran having a nuclear deterrent with a ballistic capability to easily reach Tel Aviv, New York and Washington. So the more Iran is threatened, the more imperative it is to have the bomb.

  • Comment number 5.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 6.

    One thing that all commentators here seem to have forgotten,that it,if,god forbid,there was to be a nuclear conflict over Iran or indeed N.Korea,then the fall out would undoubtedly effect many parts of the world including China,so it is in China's interest too to contain Iran in it's quest for nuclear weapons.

  • Comment number 7.

    2. At 10:28am on 02 Apr 2010, Carl H wrote:
    Oh be quiet America, and stop policing the world. Look inside your own borders before keep telling everyone else on that planet what they can and can't do!

    well said sir

  • Comment number 8.

    1. Toad In The Hole,

    It's not a question of "The yanks hating Iran," it is simply an assessment of the very real danger that Iran poses to the world.

    Shortly before Obama took office, he called on Iran to stop supporting international terrorism. I'm not sure how many people know that because the left wing media took one look at that statement and said, "Oops, much as we like the guy, we can't publish that too widely."

    Iran is the greatest single threat confronting the world today. Apart from terrorising its own people, it exports terror worldwide, has an obsessive hatred of America and Israel and continually threatens Israel with destruction. Iran with nuclear weapons would be a disaster waiting to happen.

  • Comment number 9.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 10.

    MagicKirin wrote:

    It amazes how much of the world refuses to learn from history, especially in Europe.

    The Iranian mullahs and other islamic facists: Hamas and Hezbollah are this century's Nazis.


    ===================

    The left wing are Iran's cheerleaders. You'll see that as the posts start to come through on here. You get the feeling that the hard left is literally willing Iran on to get Nuclear weapons.

    All stemming from their hatred of successful countries like Israel and America.

    This is why the left have to be marginalised, shunned and ignored as much as possible. Make them into as much of a pariah entity as Iran and extremist Islam. This problem with Iran is far too important and dangerous for the world to allow the left wing to have any meaningful say in the outcome.

  • Comment number 11.

    4. Dissident,

    You can try to twist the facts around as much as you like, but you wont get anyone who knows anything about the situation to believe that Israel is threatening Iran. Iran not only continually threatens to destroy Israel, it does its best to carry out its threats by arming, funding and training Hezbollah, Hamas and Islamic Jihad for attacks on Israeli civilians. A few hours ago a long range rocket fired from Gaza landed near Ashkelon, a city 40km away. Where do you think it came from?

    Iranians are wanted by Interpol and the Argentinians for the bomb attacks on the Israeli Embassy and a Jewish cultural centre in Buenos Aires in the nineties that killed scores of innocents.

    So tell me again who is threatening whom?

  • Comment number 12.

    Any new sanctions against Iran will almost certainly be ineffective because Iran has had plenty of time to prepare for them, however tough they may be. And if they are ineffective, it is China who will be the big looser, not just because of its current trade with Iran but because of Iran's rising influence in the region. Iran will decide the next govt in Baghdad and that will give Iran effective ciontrol of much of Iraq's oil. Iran is also forging close relations with former Soviet central Asian republics. It's influence is definitely on the rise and that would be to China's detriment if it foolishly joins the West.

  • Comment number 13.

    Sanctions against Iran may turn out to be an irrelevant issue. The situation in Gaza is likely to dictate the Middle East agenda before long.

  • Comment number 14.

    As long as Iran has a legitimate fear of nuclear attack from Israel (provoked or otherwise) they have every right to seek the protection of the nuclear deterrent which we have all enjoyed for years.

    I may not like it that a Muslim theocracy might have access to nuclear weapons, but since Israel (essentially Jewish theocracy) and the USA (rapidly heading towards becoming a Christian theocracy) both have them already, I can't see that there is any moral or ethical way that either of those nations can object to Iran having them too.

    The problem here is that we in the West utterly fail to grasp ho Muslim nations think - which is, to mangle a quote from the Q'ran, if you harm one Muslim then you are harming all Muslims.

    What that means in real life is that as long as Israel keeps seizing more and more land, keeps building on it, keeps responding to minor incidents by unleashing helicopter gunships and tanks and troops with white phosphorous grenades, then Iran is going to want to destroy them and is going to work towards doing exactly that, through nuclear means if possible.

    The solution here is very simple: Make the nuclear disarmament of Israel an agreed condition for the cessation of the Iranian nuclear program and then stop sending US money and weapons to Israel so that they can no longer be the only nation on Earth which continues to expand its borders through aggression against its neighbours.

  • Comment number 15.

    America and Israel are going around the world occupying other peoples' lands and leaving death and destruction in their wake. How they have the gall to tell Iran and China how to behave is beyond me.

  • Comment number 16.

    MagicKirin wrote: "The Iranian mullahs and other islamic facists: Hamas and Hezbollah are this century's Nazis."

    Nuclear-armed Israel bears far closer comparison to the Nazis than Iran in it's expansionism and apartheid laws, both founded on the notion of a Chosen People (racially defined). The language by Israeli ministers past and present describing Arabs as vermin reinforces this fact.

    The question is, who pulls the strings in Washington? Obama couldn't even stop Israel from it's land-grabbing - he asked them, they said no, and that was that. Yet the aid and weaponry continue to flow in. Even when General Petreaus has reported that Israel's misdeeds are costing the lives of American troops in the field, Obama has proved impotent. In focussing on Iran, Obama leaves the impression that he is just another AIPAC stooge.

  • Comment number 17.

    Strange how the US seems to bully everyone around and they all just accept it. Not long ago the US sold deadly weapons to Taiwan just to get up China's nose and now the Americans are friends of China and wish them to support sanctions against Iran. A bad smell of inconsistency or not?

  • Comment number 18.

    Peace will never prevail in the world unless Israel stops taking Palestinan lands and that situation is resolved. America can stop it but won't. With all its claims of power around the world can't resolve the Middle East issue yet can go around invading other countries. Are they really the champions of peace?

  • Comment number 19.

    The thing is that Iran would be crazy enough to use nuclear weapons if it got hold of them.

  • Comment number 20.

    4. Dissident
    "So I would be 100% in support of Iran having a nuclear deterrent..."

    It is easy to understand why Iran would want a nuclear deterrent. Even those expressing such mindless hatred of Iran should be able to understand this as the reasons are precisely the same as the US, UK, France, Russia, China etc. use to justify their WMD.

    But understanding the reasons is not the same as approving of the action. If we hold that the current members of the "nuclear club" should disarm, as I do, then it would be inconsistent to the point of hypocrisy to condone any nation seeking to join that club.

  • Comment number 21.

    8. TrueToo
    "Iran is the greatest single threat confronting the world today."

    On the basis of actual events rather than hate-mongering propaganda, that would be the US.

  • Comment number 22.

    It's an absolute shame and disgrace where you have western leaders who promote other nations who have not signed up to the 'non-proliferation treaty' to persue nuclear weapons i.e. Israel and then tell nations who have already signed up to the 'non-proliferation treaty' to back down from nuclear technology, this is a double standard world we live in and we should understand this from history that nations such as the US and Israels only care about them selves, they dont want a powerful Iran who will have ties with China or Russia because they dont want weaker countries to have a dominant role in global affairs, I think its all about American Imperialism vs real global security, if they really cared about global security they would be pressing on China to do something about North Korea at this moment but no its all about whos being more successful than them, well to the USA, you better get use to it because the world is changing and the world is now less favour of you thanks to your countless wars and indirect support to terrorism and occupation.

  • Comment number 23.

    8. TrueToo
    "Shortly before Obama took office, he called on Iran to stop supporting international terrorism. I'm not sure how many people know that because the left wing media took one look at that statement and said, "Oops, much as we like the guy, we can't publish that too widely."
    "

    Back to reality and you find President Obama's statement published by every single media outlet on the planet. Were you to visit more often you might know such things.

  • Comment number 24.

    10. SystemF
    "This is why the left have to be marginalised, shunned and ignored as much as possible. Make them into as much of a pariah entity as Iran and extremist Islam."

    These right-wing extremists can never have enough hate-figures.

  • Comment number 25.

    ref #16
    , FruityMcTooty wrote:
    MagicKirin wrote: "The Iranian mullahs and other islamic facists: Hamas and Hezbollah are this century's Nazis."

    Nuclear-armed Israel bears far closer comparison to the Nazis than Iran in it's expansionism and apartheid laws, both founded on the notion of a Chosen People (racially defined). The language by Israeli ministers past and present describing Arabs as vermin reinforces this fact.

    The question is, who pulls the strings in Washington? Obama couldn't even stop Israel from it's land-grabbing - he asked them, they said no, and that was that. Yet the aid and weaponry continue to flow in. Even when General Petreaus has reported that Israel's misdeeds are costing the lives of American troops in the field, Obama has proved impotent. In focussing on Iran, Obama leaves the impression that he is just another AIPAC stooge.

    ____________________-

    First your post shows a great deal of ignorance.

    Here are some facts:

    1. Israel showed restraint in not turning Lebanon into a crater when the Lebanese allow a terrorist group freedomn to shoot missles into Israel.

    2. Israel won a war when they were attacked in 67.

    3. Israel made peace with Egypt and Jordan and the peace has held.

    4. Both the U.S and Israel are republics with freedom of religion,unlike the intlerant mullahs.

    5. Obama has been pro Palestinian, making demands of Israel, but not of the Arab league and Palestinians who refuse to have direct talks.

    6. The Iranians have no regard for their own people much less non believers.

    7. Khomehni should have been shot the moment he entered Iran.

  • Comment number 26.

    19. Ewan19
    "The thing is that Iran would be crazy enough to use nuclear weapons if it got hold of them. "

    Any nation that would use nuclear weapons is "crazy". Only one nation has done so.

  • Comment number 27.

    #5 Carl H wrote:
    "Oh be quiet America, and stop policing the world. Look inside your own borders before keep telling everyone else on that planet what they can and can't do!"

    Oh be quiet UK, and stop poking your nose in our business and telling us what to do. You are hardly an example to emulate.

  • Comment number 28.

    19. Ewan19 wrote:

    "The thing is that Iran would be crazy enough to use nuclear weapons if it got hold of them."

    That's exactly the point. In 1982 Israel did the world a favour by taking out Saddam Hussein's nuclear reactor. Iraq with nuclear weapons would have been a disaster because if Hussein had decided to push the button, no Iraqi would have dared to stop him. How different is Iran? Would it have democratic checks and balances against the "Supreme Leader" deciding to launch nuclear weapons?


    14. Custador,

    So your solution to the Iranian threat is to disarm Israel? See my comment 11 if you want to know anything about Iran's attacks against Israel and its obsession with destroying the Jewish state. Israel's attack on Gaza was not provoked by "minor incidents" but by years of rocket attacks on Israeli civilians which had increased to almost a hundred a day, including longer range rockets smuggled in from Iran, note, in the weeks before Israel attacked.

    If Hamas wants to be the point of the terrorist spear, the bloody shaft of which is held by Iran, then it should expect Israel to attack in self defence.

    Note that Israel has never attacked Iran. But the presence of the "infidel" Israelis on soil that was once Islamic is an abomination to Iran. Deal with those facts, rather than pointing the finger of blame at Israel.



    15. Wu Shu,

    Educate yourself about Iran and perhaps understanding will no longer be beyond you. Though I wont hold my breath for that to happen.


    16. FruityMcTooty,

    You should provide links to back up your unfounded accusations against Israel and "Israeli ministers." Then we could see which propagandist websites you've been visiting and continue the "debate" from there. Unless of course your attention is simply to spread hatred against the Jewish state.

    Israel is not "land-grabbing" but simply building on an existing settlement in Jerusalem, Israel's capital. I suppose you regard Israel's withdrawal from all of the Sinai and all of Gaza as "land-grabbing" as well. Israel must be the first country on earth to be accused of expanding while it shrinks.

  • Comment number 29.

    The Third World War has been going on for sometime now.Like in 1939 up to now what we have seen is "The Phoney War". When Iran gets it bomb, and it will.The real hot war will begin.The most worrying aspect is that the Iranians believe that their God want them to destroy the infidel and even if they themselves die ,they are going to Paradise.The fundamentalists on the other side are not quite as bad.They actualy want their children to grow into adults whilst the Islamic Fundamentalists perform the greatest child abuse possible ,encouraging their own children to be martyrs for their faith. What a workld we live in !!!!!!

  • Comment number 30.

    "Oh be quiet America, and stop policing the world. Look inside your own borders before keep telling everyone else on that planet what they can and can't do!"

    Name a single country in the western world who hasn't said precisely what America has had about Iran. You can't. But of course you depict the situation as only being the US policing the world. Maybe you should look inside YOUR own borders before hypocritically criticizing the US? Every single western country has supported every single round of sanctions the US has proposed against Iran, and I'm pretty sure that includes your country.

  • Comment number 31.

    "15. At 11:21am on 02 Apr 2010, Wu Shu wrote:

    America and Israel are going around the world occupying other peoples' lands and leaving death and destruction in their wake. How they have the gall to tell Iran and China how to behave is beyond me."

    Precisely. Very well said.

  • Comment number 32.

    I remember over 40 years ago the Wilson government came to the conclusion that sanctions (against UDI Rhodesia) just don't work. Surprise, surprise they still don't work.

    The gullible US public always need a bogeyman to keep them under government control. Sometimes it's "the French" (remember freedom fries?), or "socialists" or "McCarthy's commies".

    This week it's Iran.

    Looking at the situation a bit more closely, things ain't so simple as naming bogeymen to keep the gullible in check, Why do some Middle East states get the "blessing" to have nuclear power/weapons and some not? Why is one of them (with clear form on invading/building on neighbours' land) even allowed to decline to answer the question at all - let alone abide by many UN resolutions? How many Iranian 9/11 bombers were there amongst the many Saudis?

    The problem is it looks like US "foreign policy" is in for a big change. The CIA idea of setting up juntas with friendly leaders on the payroll is very last century. The US now has a global enemy network and they don't fight on neat battlefields so that generals can look at maps with red and blue squares on them.

    Iran probably has all the nuclear capability it needs already, and why not, bearing mind it needs to secure its valuable oil reserves? Next door Pakistan's current regime, with its obvious arsenal could fall any day anyway.

    So should China and the US co-operate? Ask the Chinese president. After all, he's in the driving seat and he will decide what happens - whether the US co-operates or not. It may be in Obama's interest to spin the co-operate story and that he had some influence for bogeyman-effect domestic consumption.

    Kind of Gordon Brown "I saved the world" routine but premiership league and not Glenrothes Strollers.

    Ho hum...

  • Comment number 33.

    Iran isn't stupid to want nuclear weapons so it can use it mindlessly as the West keeps fear peddling. That would be a act of suicide on Iran's part. What Iran wants is the right to defend itself against Israel and Western aggression and having the means to do so is its fundamental right. That would necessarily mean that the West would not be able to push around the people of that region or Israel keep grabbing Palestinian land. An Iran that can defend itself against Western and Israeli aggression would also necessarily mean a loss of Western power and control of that region. That's what they really fear.

  • Comment number 34.

    Have you tried telling your bank manager what to do?
    Because thats the position America are in.

  • Comment number 35.

    Gary Chiles wrote:

    "Somebody please remind the yanks which nation they rely on to borrow the money that prevents their corrupt, murderous, hypocritical, overweight nation from imploding."

    First off, that's not how it works. Your hyperbole about the US is matched by a lack of understanding of economics. The US has more influence over China than any other country, China is more economically dependent on the US than the US is on China and is in a weaker position given the full spectrum; economically, politically, militarily etc...

    Someone tell the limeys (you) what country they rely on to take the heat and scorn and derision for policies that are shared by their own countries. I love it how Brits say the US is policing the world and find their country blameless for any negative PR, yet their country has been behind the US in every single set of proposals for sanctions against Iran for their nuclear programme. Someone tell the limeys what country they rely on for basically for basically everything, before they go about trashing the US for pressuring China to help prevent Iran from attaining a nuclear weapon.

  • Comment number 36.

    And together we all lived happily ever after..

  • Comment number 37.

    "27. At 12:07pm on 02 Apr 2010, lochraven wrote:

    Oh be quiet UK, and stop poking your nose in our business and telling us what to do. You are hardly an example to emulate. "

    I never portended that we were, I'm well aware of my nations past misdeeds. However, many horrendous wrongs do not make a right, let alone peace.

    The US needs taking down a peg or three, and I for one welcome the fact that the UK seems finally to be trying to distance itself from the US. Mark my words, the US will soon be one big isolated unsupported paranoid country that will probably implode on itself.

  • Comment number 38.

    It is not the people of Iran who are the problem, it is the unelected old men in scraggly beards, who hold ordinary Iranians in their thrall who are the real problem.

    The current elected president of Iran, Ahminejad, is only the 2nd in command and is merely a puppet of the ayatollahs.


    Even though they are one of the worlds foremost oil producing countries, they export up to 40% of their crude oil just to get it refined and then sent back to them, because they will not build enough of their own refineries, yet they have no problem building nuclear power plants.

    By the way, if a Hamas or Hezbollah suicide bomber were to strike in Israel with a bomb laced with radioactive material, I know on whose door the Israelis are going to go calling.....

  • Comment number 39.

    Iran's Nuclear programme in general is a concern to the World peace and in particular to the Region with the declared intention of the distruction of Isreal by the current Government of Iran. Because of this the issue is a global concern which calls for the UN Security Councel to closely monitor the development and the Members support including China for the sanctions depends on the respective countries Interest.

  • Comment number 40.

    Dear Sir/madame,
    China will agree with new sanctions. Because, China will maitain its role as world power in today's politics. No one should be worried about Iranian nation. With complete ban on import of petroleum, Iranian rulers will have limited means for the movement of their butchers to arrest and kill the people who have suffered a lot for the past thirty years.

    Thank you very much for the time which was given to me to tell my ideas.
    I will be ver much please to be in contact with BBC.

  • Comment number 41.

    MAXQUE wrote:

    "Have you tried telling your bank manager what to do?
    Because thats the position America are in."

    The US debt that china owns is only about 6% of US GDP, $889 billion compared to $14.5 trillion. You don't think the US can reasonably pressure China into doing things even though the US is China's most important single trading partner, and is the source of investment and technology that China depends utterly on? By the way, if you're British, you owe the US more than the US owes China, yet that doesn't stop Brits from endlessly sticking their nose in Americans' business.

  • Comment number 42.

    The western nations are investing in alternate energy and nuclear power for their energy sources. So why not Iran can have the same right. We all know that in this century nobody is going to use an atomic device. It will be only a deterrent. So why not Iran can have a nuclear deterrent?

  • Comment number 43.

    35. Kent
    "I love it how Brits say the US is policing the world and find their country blameless..."

    In no way does criticising the US imply that the UK is "blameless". If criticism focuses on the US then this is because, as you like to remind everybody ad nauseam, the US is the biggest player on the world stage.

    I note that you do not even attempt to address any of the criticism. Instead, you demand that there be no criticism.

  • Comment number 44.

    "China has only one purpose with any country they deal with Business" What any country does, to its people, or any coruption, or any type of politics has nothing to do with China . { Only Business}

  • Comment number 45.

    10. SystemF wrote:

    "The left wing are Iran's cheerleaders. You'll see that as the posts start to come through on here. You get the feeling that the hard left is literally willing Iran on to get Nuclear weapons.

    All stemming from their hatred of successful countries like Israel and America."

    As you predicted, they've started to flood in. I wonder if the lefties imagine that the Iranian political system puts sufficient constraints on its leaders to prevent them pushing the button, or it least makes it difficult for them to do it?


    32. Clevor Trever wrote,

    "How many Iranian 9/11 bombers were there amongst the many Saudis?"

    - while trying to portray Iran as the injured innocent. In fact, in addition to terrorising its own people, Iran exports terror worldwide. And while apologists for Iran play semantics games with Ahmedinejad's frequent tirades against Israel by claiming that he only wants Israel "to disappear from the pages of time," and not be "wiped off the map," as if there is any difference, the Iranians are clearly obsessed with the destruction of the Jewish state.


    23. Electric Hermit,

    Thanks for the chuckle. I didn't say they didn't publish it but you evidently have difficulty understanding what "too widely" and "left wing media" mean. And I guess you were watching and reading every single media outlet on the planet when Obama made that speech.

  • Comment number 46.

    "30. At 12:22pm on 02 Apr 2010, Kent wrote:

    Name a single country in the western world who hasn't said precisely what America has had about Iran. You can't. But of course you depict the situation as only being the US policing the world. Maybe you should look inside YOUR own borders before hypocritically criticizing the US? Every single western country has supported every single round of sanctions the US has proposed against Iran, and I'm pretty sure that includes your country."

    Because said 'western countries' seem to blindly follow America like a pathetic puppy dog on a leash. It's almost like they fear retribution if they dont all hold their hands up and say "Me too"! in agreement with whichever president is in power at the time. (People in fear of their 'leaders'? Isn't that part of what America is supposedly trying to stop?) People in said countries are getting fed up of this, and hopefully we will see a swing away from being so far up America that we can see what the President had for breakfast, and start making our own, seperate, decisions and policies.

    And another thing - just because my government trots out the same line as America on certain foreign countries, they are NOT speaking for ME or the general population, however much the media would love you to believe that they are. The government may have said it, the COUNTRY certainly did not.

  • Comment number 47.

    Diplomatic progress for America, not just with China, but globally would see greater improvement if Hilary Clinton focused on American internal issues as her brief within the US State Department?

    Mrs Clinton has huge political experience and admirable accumulated knowledge, but is NOT a diplomat? Her genius and personal strengths would better serve and leave a legacy for solving US homeland problems such as:
    1) Naming and shaming States with crumbling infrastructure that could and should be improved, but improvements for the people and work creation has been blocked by ..?
    2) Demanding that State hospitals publish their mortality/morbidity rates.
    3) Enable genuine companies with the ability to create jobs for green energy production in the US?
    4) Kick butt on why so many American manufacturing, service and banking jobs are 'disappearing' overseas that do not provide data protection and same standards of child employment?


  • Comment number 48.

    A direct appeal by President Obama has no hope of "moving" China one way or the other.
    What it indicates is that the United States is moving – slightly – lessening as a super-power, unable to dictate and expect other countries to jump.
    China will not change its position on Iran.
    I don’t believe Iran should face further sanctions.
    I’m not concerned about Iran’s nuclear programme as much as I am concerned about why the United States is willing to reduce its nuclear arsenal NOW and encourage Russia to do the same NOW? The United States is imperialistic; the United States seeks world domination.
    When the United States moves to reduce its nuclear weapons you can bet that it has another, more powerful, more devastating weapon to replace what it gives up one thousand times over.
    It was likely the presence of Iran's top nuclear official, Saeed Jalili, in China that got Obama on the phone. Saeed Jalili is a politician, as well as Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council as well as chief nuclear negotiator for Iran.
    I don’t see any thaw in the relations between China and the United States, not after the recent animosity that the United States created e.g. Tibet, trade and Taiwan. Hu himself has stressed that China's sovereignty and territorial integrity are key issues to ensure the healthy and stable development of Sino-US relations. There is nothing in this clear statement that even refers to Iran.
    Susan Rice’s statement about China being ready to hold "serious" talks with Western powers on a new UN resolution says nothing. Don’t you think it would say a lot more if China was so much as tilting (barely) towards the American position?

  • Comment number 49.

    I guess that sanctions whatever their impact and force will turn out to be ineffective. Iran has had too much time to stave off any possible negative consequences for its economic interests stemming from a new round of possible sanctions. Furthermore I think that the upcoming negotiations on sanctions to be implemented will be very hard and difficult, given the size and thickness of the interactions existing between Iran and its two allies, namely Russia and China. Let us not forget that just few days ago the Russian PM has borne out quite clearly in the presence of the US Secretary of State that the nuclear plant in Busher will be operational next summer. It looks that all in all Moscow and Beijing have a deep interest in preserving their good links with Teheran in the present context. One of the main reasons could be the realization on their side that being allied with a well-armed Iran may effectively help them to counter American influence and Israeli deterrence in the region as well as not creating problems in the Russian and Chinese areas where a very harsh repression is under way against Muslim minorities within their borders. That's why I remain a little bit bearish on the likelihood of something very positive deriving from a hard to get fourth round of sanctions. Thank you.

  • Comment number 50.

    Treaties last as long as they last. Interests last for as long as they last. China will climb on board the US, UK, EU and UN bandwagon if the US, UK, EU and UN turn a blind eye to Tibet, Human Right Abuse etc. To China Iran is expendable

  • Comment number 51.

    @ #38 trent wrote: "By the way, if a Hamas or Hezbollah suicide bomber were to strike in Israel with a bomb laced with radioactive material, I know on whose door the Israelis are going to go calling....."

    Would that be similar to the white phosphorus shells used by Israel in attacking the entire population of Gaza and as condemned by the UN and many human rights groups including Israel's own B'Tselem?

    And would it be similar to the depleted Uranium ordnance used by the Americans in Fallujah that are now causing birth defects in newborn Iraqi babies?

    Thought so.

  • Comment number 52.

    The Iranians are the biggest single problem in the middle east. They are mainly responsible for arming many of the terrorist groups that carry out violence in Israel and the Palestinian areas and in Afghanistan. The Chinese won't do anything as they supply rockets and other arms to Iran. The Mullahs have already threatened to destroy Israel with a nuclear strike and I believe they are stupid and fundumentally crazy enough to do it. These Islamic nutters, still living in the 12th century it seems, simply cannot be trusted with nuclear technology. The world can't just sit there and let this despotic regime in Iran get away with what it likes.

  • Comment number 53.

    #37 Carl H
    The US needs taking down a peg or three, and I for one welcome the fact that the UK seems finally to be trying to distance itself from the US. Mark my words, the US will soon be one big isolated unsupported paranoid country that will probably implode on itself.

    Carl, you just don't get it. By you criticism of others you set yourself up as the watch dog of all that's right and wrong with the world. And why would you want to do that except to distance yourself from the same feeling that you have yourself. So, if this criticism is making you feel superior and better about yourself, then don't let me stop you from having a nice day, but these good feeling won't last and you will have to constantly recharge yourself with more criticism. It's a circular thing that keeps coming back. Cheers!

  • Comment number 54.

    Since Iran's top negotiator Saeed Jilili and Hu Jintao agreed sanctions won't work, if Iran is not to obtain nuclear weapons then there is only one alternative left, severe military action. This would surely touch off a major war in the Middle East. It is contemptable that neither Israel nor the West including the US has taken this most dire crisis seriously for at least a decade. They have been paralyzed merely spouting empty threats and enacting weak ineffective sanctions against Iran. Iran's government has paid no price for its nuclear policy nor its aggression. What price was paid for the capture of the 15 British seamen? For the arming of Hezbollah also against the treay by which Israel left Lebanon? For Iran's promotion of the insurgency in Iraq? None. This is the kind of numb indifference, refusal to react, waiting until it is too late that we see time and again in world affairs. If doctors reacted to a diagnosis of cancer the way world leaders react to this kind of situation, the survival rate would be zero. This is how Munich happened. And like Munich, it will lead not to peace in our time but to a horrific war. Those who dreaded military action early on because of the consequences should contemplate what the consequences will be when the worst happens. Which is the lesser of the evils? Once again the world will learn the hard way. War is all but guaranteed and not a small one at all. Maybe the worst one ever fought. Maybe the last one that will ever be fought.

  • Comment number 55.

    US always has its personal interest and pressurizes others to co-operate. How about Chinese president giving Obama a call and ask could you firstly stop selling those fatal weapons to TaiWan and then we can have a discussion about your interest?

  • Comment number 56.

    The West should strike now before its too late and Iran starts WWIII, nothing is so sure if they get hold of nuclear weapons.

  • Comment number 57.

    Yes they should work together, the problem is the chinese have been quietly supplying Iran with technology and arms, are they likely to stop?

  • Comment number 58.

    45. TrueToo
    "...I wonder if the lefties imagine that the Iranian political system puts sufficient constraints on its leaders to prevent them pushing the button..."

    Would that be like the "constraints" that inhibit the US launching brutal wars of aggression such as that inflicted on the people and nation of Iraq?

  • Comment number 59.

    Or the US and Iran should work together against China because honestly I do not see a difference between the cruelty of the Chinese Communist Party and that of the Islamic Republic... I hope Obama sees cooperation as a necessary means to an end (because China happens to have a veto in the security council) and doesn't have any illusions about forging friendship ties with China, if he does that would be incredibly hypocritical.

  • Comment number 60.

    Amazing is it not that one country that has repeatedly invaded other sovereign nations in recent years and has actually used nuclear weapons against cities is complaining and threatening a nation that has not invaded anyone in over 100 years and only wants parity with everyone else. Remember how the US sponsored terrorists in Columbia, Asia and the middle east, and indirectly even in Ireland, but of course it's OK for the US to bully and intimidate at will.

  • Comment number 61.

    Still I can’t understand the western definition of cooperation and negotiation, applying pressure for own interest and rejecting other rights is not the negotiation or cooperation. This is simple hypocrisy.
    If west fears that Iran can make nuclear weapon in future and used it against any nation and with this assumption they pressurized and sanctioned Iran, then what punishment for US who used these weapons twice on civilian population.

  • Comment number 62.

    At 12:53pm on 02 Apr 2010, gaboosm wrote:
    "The western nations are investing in alternate energy and nuclear power for their energy sources. So why not Iran can have the same right."

    I agree they have that right, but because they have a history of smuggling wepons to terrorist groups like Hamas, they have to be scrutinised more closely than if it was a neutral country like Switzerland or Iceland who wanted nuclear power plants.

    They do not actually need to build a nuclear weapon to be a threat, all they need do is smuggle explosives containing fissile material, to groups like Hamas who could use it in a rocket or suicide attack on Israel.

    Remember the devastation caused in Chernoybl in aprail 1986 with just low enriched, peaceful nuclear power plant materal?.

    If that happens Israel could strike Iran with its own nukes and start world war 3, that is what I am afraid of.

  • Comment number 63.

    Guess who's third on Iran's list of future targets for a nuclear weapon when they've completed its manufacture? Yup, the good ol' boys in Whitehall and Westminster who continue to aid and support America with their oil speculative policing and military interventions in countries bordering Iran. Our government's equally strident calls for tougher sanctions paints the bullseye directly on Big Ben.

    Given that this government has also given easy access to our shores for terrorist sympathisers over the past several years with their "open door" immigration policies, I'm pretty sure that operational plans for such an attack have already been drawn up and are being actively studied in Teheran as I write.

    Of course, the inscrutible Chinese will continue to trade, advise and passively mop up as much of our lost manufacturing capability as possible while fobbing off any calls for sanctions.

    Isn't it time that we spent a decade or two on the introspective contemplation and rebuilding of our fast disappearing kudos as world leaders in anything?

  • Comment number 64.

    I seem to recall Saddam telling the whole world he didn't have weapons of mass destruction. Yet 'secret intelligence' insisted the US and it's supporters conquered Iraq - to prove Saddam was telling the truth!

    "Here we go again" springs to mind. This time, surely, the world should insist on real proof of Iran's intention to build nuclear weaponry before ruining, if not ending, the lives of thousands of Iranians. Whether by sanctions or conflict.

    China and Israel (strange bedfellows?) are absolutely no help in building a peaceful world. The fact that China turns an approach for support, in restricting nuclear proliferation, into a bargaining tool to allow it to continue mistreating Tibet shows their real depth of concern. Israel's defiance of the UN (in default more times than Iraq and Iran added together) is indicative of the mistake the USA made in actually arming them, instead of merely guaranteeing their independent existence. Arming them merely justifies Iranian complaints that they, understandably, feel threatened. If Israel claimed to be my 'best friend and ally' I'd know I wasn't very nice to know and try and change my ways.

  • Comment number 65.

    You mean, should China be bullied into bullying Iran?

    NOPE!

  • Comment number 66.

    54. MarcusAureliusII
    "Iran's government has paid no price for its nuclear policy nor its aggression."

    The US and its accomplices have paid "no price" for their nuclear policy and aggression. Why should Iran be different?

    "What price was paid for the capture of the 15 British seamen?"

    What price was paid for the capture of hundreds of people all over the world and their imprisonment without trial at Guantanamo, Baghram etc.?

    "For the arming of Hezbollah also against the treay by which Israel left Lebanon?"

    For the arming of Israel when they flout numerous UN resolutions?

    "For Iran's promotion of the insurgency in Iraq?"

    For US-led military aggression in Iraq?

  • Comment number 67.

    56. Dangerous Brian
    "The West should strike now before its too late and Iran starts WWIII, nothing is so sure if they get hold of nuclear weapons."

    Start a war to prevent the war you just started. You're not related to George W Bush, by any chance?

  • Comment number 68.

    Kent:
    "Someone tell the limeys (you) what country they rely on to take the heat and scorn and derision for policies that are shared by their own countries"

    Let me tell you a little something about us 'limeys' you vile Americans had the support of our government for the last 8 years, and obviously before that too, but times are changing. the people have been questioning for a long time, and now the politicians are catching on, our involvement with a fundamentalist Christian nation like yourself where ignorance is wide spread, where creationism is taught in science classrooms. We rely on you as much as you have relied on us. Do some research you would have been at nuclear war if it was for the 'limey' MI5 alerting you of the Cuban missile crisis again and again, which you ignored to begin with. The CIA learnt from the MI5 during this period. Yes you hold economic superiority, yes you are a super power we rely on, but the relationship is not all one way, definitely not in the very recent past. It's about time you got off your high horse and concentrated on the issues u have in your own borders. WE CAN GET BY JUST FINE WITHOUT YOU

    As for the Iran issue, I believe china will play along with America but only to a certain degree, I don't think the Americans will get exactly what they are looking for here. Sanctions? maybe, but nothing significant. As far as nuclear proliferation goes, where are the cries of fear about the islamic fundamentalist nation run by the taliban which already HAS nuclear weapons?
    When will America stop treating Pakistan as it's teenage, rebellious child and start punishing it's terrorist activities (of not only the Taliban but of the military and the secret service which for years have funded and aided cross border terrorism throughout the world) instead of rewarding them with more aid, well I say rewarding, it's more like pakistan holding america hostage and america playing along. They are loosing a vital friend in the war on islamic fundamentalism, or should I say the war against islam itself, India. The more india feels isolated the more the west will suffer the consequences in the future. Pakistan is the real threat here!!

  • Comment number 69.

    Actually, I doubt US will likely "co-orperate "with anyone sincerely. Nor, will be the Chinese.

    On the other hand, Chinese will get better deal with Iran and almost "NEVER" with US -- Just look at how the US, even those economists, come out with the most illogical belief that inflating YMB can help US job markets and trade deficit. It's simply a rouge excuse to evade paying up what is due.

    The US job market is gone because the US Bosses move their production lines overseas. If not China, it will be anywhere around the world except USA. So those jobs will NEVER return to US unless US workers willing to cut 90% of their wages.

    The trade deficit will also be a CONSTANT because US had weaken their own production power for real-life essentials but concentrate on highly profitable wargames - can't really count it as "TRADE", can you?

  • Comment number 70.

    defbee: I honestly couldn't agree more. they are now a fundamentalist Christian state which are, hands down, the worst, most vile, and hypocritical nation to arise in a long time. The most dangerous thing being that they are not considered so by the western nations.

  • Comment number 71.

    "53. At 1:32pm on 02 Apr 2010, lochraven wrote:

    Carl, you just don't get it. By you criticism of others you set yourself up as the watch dog of all that's right and wrong with the world. And why would you want to do that except to distance yourself from the same feeling that you have yourself."
    - Ironically, that sounds exactly like the America we see today.

    "It's a circular thing that keeps coming back."
    - Quite. What goes around comes around, as they say.

    Cheers!

  • Comment number 72.

    Truetoo @28 wrote:

    “You should provide links to back up your unfounded accusations against Israel and "Israeli ministers."”

    Ask and you shall receive, TrueToo.

    On the influence of AIPAC, you can visit AIPAC’s own website, which boasts that over half the members of the US Congress attended last month’s shindig in Washington. Research how AIPAC actually drafted the US State Department response to Lebanon conflict and about how it “negotiates” with Presidents on which advisers to choose in key posts. Can any other lobby group boast such influence? Netanyahu was sending a signal to Obama that Likud has Washington tied up.

    On Israeli land-grabbing, the West Bank and East Jerusalem (which now contain over half a million Jewish “settlers”) are considered to be under military occupation and such settlements considered illegal by the international community including the UN, the EU, NATO, the USA, Russia, China, NGOs and various inter-governmental organisations. It is only Israel and its die-hard diaspora dullards that disagree.

    On the vermin comparisons of Palestinians by Israeli ministers: PM Yitzhak Shamir “grasshoppers”, PM Ehud Barak “crocodiles”, PM Menachim Begin “two-legged beasts”, IDF Chief Rafael Eitan “cockroaches”. Hamas leaders aren’t much better on this score but Hamas are not the ones killing their adversaries in order to harvest and sell their organs on the international market for a profit, which of course is the kind of things you do with animals:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/21/israeli-pathologists-harvested-organs

  • Comment number 73.

    It doesn't really matter what China and the US agree. The Israelis will solve the problem when Iran becomes a real threat to their survival. Iran refuses to join the civilised world, so will have to pay the consequences, which may be a trip back to the stone age from the middle ages where they currently choose to be.

  • Comment number 74.

    People do have short memories and always tend to shift into the opponents net ie Iran, this time, disgusing their way out of sanctions, or why cant they possess nuclear weapons.
    All The Arab States sit under a wealth of oil. Nuclear power can only mean one thing. Ahmadinejad would love to "bully" his neighbors having nukes to play with in his arsenal.
    Why people on here talk about hypocrisy against the current so called members of the "Club". In the last 65 years people, who have since Hiroshima/ Nagasaki, used nukes as a "first strike" measure?
    Imagine the stage if Iran had the bomb and a second revolution started. It would be likened to giving the bomb to Hitler. These guys if they had the bomb will use it and blame it some other radical group or state. These weapons would have a "No reply address" attached to them, and they would get away with it.
    China / Russia, (have you noticed, former Communist/ Communist countries) has always been and will be the "stumbling block".
    Are they going to accept responsibilty to the rest of mankind for their ignorance?
    I dont think so as you can tell by their former/present Human Rights records!

  • Comment number 75.

    Iran will become to China as Cuba was to Soviet Russia and as we are to America

  • Comment number 76.

    TrueToo @11: “Iranians are wanted by Interpol and the Argentinians for the bomb attacks on the Israeli Embassy and a Jewish cultural centre in Buenos Aires in the nineties that killed scores of innocents. So tell me again who is threatening whom?”

    To answer your question, Israel is threatening the world. Zionist landlust is fuelling hatred and driving the clash of civilisations. By blindly supporting Israel, the West loses moral authority and thanks to Israel it is impossible for any Western politician to pressure Iran without looking like a total hypocrite. If Israelis gave a hoot about peace they would get back to the Green Line and comply with international law. But Israel wants Arab land at any cost – and if that means the rest of the world goes to hell, then so be it.

  • Comment number 77.

    If you people do not know how much influenes AIPAK have inside USA then
    you don,t bother even ask why Obama do or do not do this and that ,this

    USA is totally changed after Suez Canal war and ultimatum to UK,Fr and
    Israel !!! it is so darn diffrent USA ,go read history

  • Comment number 78.

    Keybraes, did it ever occur to youm Iran wants nukes to protect herself against an attack, Iran saw what happened to her neighbour and wants to arm herslf. I say fair enough

    Your attitude and claim Israel should send iran back to the stone age is the sort of arrogance that will get Israel into troube

    Pakistan Russia China Inda and Israel all have nukes. Why not Iran

  • Comment number 79.

    Instead of encouraging Iran to build a nuclear weapon, we should rather be looking at destroying the existing stockpile from all nations. At this rate it is only a matter of time before we destroy the world.

  • Comment number 80.

    #19. Ewan19 writes:
    //
    Any nation that would use nuclear weapons is "crazy". Only one nation has done so.
    //
    That old canard again! People who throw this accusation at the US (which they do every single time Iran comes up on this HYS), steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the situation the US was in at the time.

    This situation does not need any reinforcment for most of us, but for Ewan19 we will have to make an exception.

    In a nutshell Ewan19 - there was something called a World War on at the time. The US was losing thousands upon thousands of lives re-taking islands that had been occupied by the Japanese.

    The US had developed atomic weapons and warned Japan to surrender. Japan did not surrender. In order to end the war, and thereby save many thousands of American lives, the US deployed 2 of their atomic weapons.

    Of course, it goes without saying that if Japan or Germany had developed these weapons before the US, then they would have used them without hesitation (and we would all now be part of the third reich or the Japanese empire).

    #60. defbee wrote:
    //
    Amazing is it not that one country that has repeatedly invaded other sovereign nations in recent years and has actually used nuclear weapons against cities is complaining and threatening a nation that has not invaded anyone in over 100 years and only wants parity with everyone else.
    //

    -Parity with everyone else? No one else is dumb enough to want these terrible weapons but the Iranians and the North Koreans.

  • Comment number 81.

    China's economic and military ascent in the global arena compels them to do certain things; among them are to exert responsible influence over countries that threaten the safety and stability of the free world. Those world powers with isolationist mentalities are simply avoiding their responsibilities because it seems too politically incorrect to think that other nations need policing. That's the equivalent of a chaperone leaving her high-school students unattended because she believes they will behave even if she's not around. Maybe they will, perhaps not. Is this a chance we're willing to take with Iran? Shall we assume that if we leave them alone, they will simply do the right thing because they don't want to upset the geopolitical balance? Or are they more self-interested than that? No one knows for sure; these are the uncertainties our politicians will have to wrangle with. And if China stands idly by because they don't want to meddle in foreign affairs, then they have wasted their political capital and ignored their duties as a rising superpower.

  • Comment number 82.

    FruityMcTooty wrote: MagicKirin wrote: "The Iranian mullahs and other islamic facists: Hamas and Hezbollah are this century's Nazis."

    Nuclear-armed Israel bears far closer comparison to the Nazis than Iran in it's expansionism and apartheid laws, both founded on the notion of a Chosen People (racially defined). The language by Israeli ministers past and present describing Arabs as vermin reinforces this fact.

    ---------------------------------

    Maybe you should read up on your history a little FruityMcTooty, in the 1930's Persia changed it's name to Iran at the request of the Nazi party and the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Mohammad Amin al-Husayni, did everything he could to get into bed with Hitler, including raising Muslim SS units to fight for Hitler. Hitler is seen as a heroic figure by Islamic terrorist who also strongly deny the Holocaust and claim that the Jews were funding Hitler right up to the end of the war and invented the Holocaust as a way to cover this up.

    Just look at how Jews in Iran are treated and then look at Muslims living in Israel, which ones are the more repressed? Can a Muslim enter the Jew's most holy city? yes, can a Jew enter Islam most holy city? No.

    How much land does Israel's empire control vs. how much Islam imperialistic conquests?

    China should watch out, while the anti-western left continues to perpetuate the myth that before Iraq and Afghanistan there was not Islamic terrorism, Russia has come under attack from it. How long will it be before Iran starts to encourage 'freedom fighters' in Xinjiang, if they aren't already.

  • Comment number 83.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 84.

    Re #10 "The left wing are Iran's cheerleaders. You'll see that as the posts start to come through on here. You get the feeling that the hard left is literally willing Iran on to get Nuclear weapons."





    And what's so shocking about that?


    The Leftists would support and excuse any thug, dictator, terrorist or a rogue country as long as they think they can cause trouble for USA.

    It's been like this since 1917, And not much has changed since.

  • Comment number 85.

    # 45. TrueToo Wrote
    //
    Would that be like the "constraints" that inhibit the US launching brutal wars of aggression such as that inflicted on the people and nation of Iraq?
    //

    -The only 'brutal war of aggression' inflicted on the people of Iraq was perpetrated by Al Qaeda terrorists, Sunni and Shia militants.


  • Comment number 86.

    Poor Mr obama. incapable of say something to Israel but when it is regarding Iran, he is trying to flex muscles.
    People who elected him would probably kick him out of the white house in 3 years time.

  • Comment number 87.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 88.

    In a civilised world everyone would co-operate for the common good! Disasster that no politics, no place for small people to think they are important. It proves the imperfection that is politics when the current “world superpower” asks the “world’s next superpower” to work together and they can not agree over the words!
    Shows the inexperience of the “team Obama” though, invite the Deli Llama after a tiff with China, not before you want ask them for something!

  • Comment number 89.

    I hope China is smarter than that...

  • Comment number 90.

    Re #73 At 2:33pm on 02 Apr 2010, kaybraes wrote:
    It doesn't really matter what China and the US agree. The Israelis will solve the problem when Iran becomes a real threat to their survival. Iran refuses to join the civilised world, so will have to pay the consequences, which may be a trip back to the stone age from the middle ages where they currently choose to be.







    And that's exactly what's going to happen if push comes to shove.

  • Comment number 91.

    I'm no fan of atrocities committed by Iranian government but the whole story is just a manifestation of global conspiracy about something that doesn't exist. The obligations that Mr Obama talks about are not valid! Iran is signatory of NPT and NPT doesn't require any country to suspend uranium enrichment. UNSC has already sanctioned Iran 3 times for what suspecting of developing something that has never proved to exist. Have we seen in history that a country is punished 3 times for being suspecting of something?!!! You're guilty until it's prove otherwise!

  • Comment number 92.

    The USA has already effectively given Iraq to Iran, you’d think they’d be satisfied with that.

    I assume the USA and China are opening the negotiations about who is going to best placed to supply Iran with expensive nuclear technology whilst simultaneously denouncing the glowing theocracy?

    They’re both too late, Russia already won the contract.

  • Comment number 93.

    Obama talks of Iran "living up to its international obligations". And Israel Mr President ?. Iran surrendering its right to defend itself is not one of its international obligations, even if the whole of the rest of the world thinks so. The UN is just a stooge body of the West and Iran should pay no attention to it. Ditto the IAEA.


  • Comment number 94.

    Iran is not the concern of the US or China.

    The US is being played like an israeli puppet.

  • Comment number 95.

    60. defbee,

    You are going to have people in tears. I suppose you imagine the Iranian leaders are Mother Theresa types who lavish tender loving care on their citizens and everyone else. They only want "parity?" If you listen to them and observe the terror they inflict on their own people and also way beyond their borders, you'll start to get an idea of what they really want.

    The lefty, PC, terror-supporting brigade here should go onto the Internet and scroll through some Iranian activist sites. Then you'll see what brave young Iranians think of their leaders and the terror they inflict on people at home and abroad and how they long for the day when they are free of them.


    72. FruityMcTooty,

    Thanks for exposing yourself as a liar. Israelis never killed Palestinians to sell their organs. You'd know that if you cleared the red mist of hatred of Israelis from your eyes. You'd also know that if you read your own Guardian link:

    "However, there was no evidence that Israel had killed Palestinians to take their organs, as the Swedish paper reported."

    And that, of course , makes any other "evidence" you come up with highly suspect, to put it in the politest possible fashion.


    58. Electric Hermit,

    As always, you have difficulty answering the question so I'll pose it again, in its original form rather than your truncated one, and not for you but for anyone else who might want to have a crack at it:

    "I wonder if the lefties imagine that the Iranian political system puts sufficient constraints on its leaders to prevent them pushing the button, or at least makes it difficult for them to do it?"

  • Comment number 96.

    Yes. And they should conspire to trigger another revolution - this time secular. Get rid of all the relgious government worldwide.

  • Comment number 97.

    Custador, does daewoo mean anything to you?

  • Comment number 98.

    If the West/ Israel has been serious and honest about peace and given justice to the Palestinian people then Iran's nuclear weapons ambitions would not today be an issue. Iran's strength comes from the fact that much of the world sympathyses with Iran as people trampled upon by the West. That includes China which have been trampled upon by the West for years. It is inconceivable that China will take the side of the agressors.

  • Comment number 99.

    I wish the US Government would back away from the Iran Issue. It is bad enough that if Israel makes a Strike on Iran that they will over-fly Iraqi Air-Space which is controlled by the United States. This will put the USA into a very bad position in the Middle East.
    Then we already have the US Government IMPORTING (SAND) from Kuwait over to Boise, Idaho. that is Just loaded with Depleted Uranium and Lead. The Forest Service has the policy of PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT. So is the United States going to start digging up Iraq, and Afghanistan Maybe Kosovo and bring all that Sand and Dirt back to the United States that is loaded with TONS of Depleted Uranium?
    Boise Idaho is getting 6700 Tons of Sand from Camp Doha. Due to the 1991 Fire/Explosion of over 600 DU Munitions. What will happen with Iran if Iran doesn't do as the USA say's? Is the USA going to subject Iran to the Shock and Awe Iraq went through?
    If they provoke Iran, I am sure Iran will shut down the entire shipping out of that entire area. (Persian Gulf) And That will be the start of the Worlds Problems. The Pipeline coming down from Afghanistan and headed towards the Gulf will be WORTHLESS. and This War, That was all this War was about - was the Route for that Pipeline and it will have proved to be Useless. The Men that Died under the so called WAR ON TERROR will have all died for Nothing.

    YES, the Afghan President used to work for the Oil Company. Afghanistan was told, "We'll either cover you with a carpet of Gold or a Carpet of BOMBS." That Pipeline was Going Through and it is in Place Now.
    So when Iran get's Mad and shuts down the Gulf because of these tit for tat actions that the sanctions are causing. Iran will be the Winner.

    Of course, The USA could claim that IRAN like Saddam has Weapons of Mass Destruction and they'll lite that area up like TOAST. But this all has to do with OIL. I know if I lived in a Country where the United States was a Constant Threat. I too would want to defend myself.

    But before you Say I am an Idiot, Look up the Oil Information. How Much Oil the USA and China is Using. Sure Iran has a less then perfect Idiot driving that Country, But the USA is going to push his button and I will bet you right now... The First thing he will do is Shut the Gulf down so that NO ONE can get OIL out and that will be the Reason for WAR...

    How many more Boys will die?

    If they wanted to, They would create Jobs HERE by making Factories that Made the Windmills and Solar Cells. and Pull this Country together like it did just after WW2. But That would not work, Because all the Parts would have to come from Other Countries. Nothing is Made in the USA today. So that's why we are failing. AND... If we Converted to other Energy Sources. Then EXXON and others could not Post their BILLIONS in PROFITS. BILLIONS. While we are trying to find money to fill a Gas tank, They are making BILLIONS.

    All Congress does is sit on their Butts and they let all the lobbyist line their pockets. I am a Firm Believer that All Congress Persons should have to Wear Jackets just like the Race Car Drivers do. That way you know WHO is BACKING that Congress Person. Mobil Oil Stripe Down their Jackets, Pfizer, Halliburton - Name it. At least you'd know WHO NOT to Vote for in the Coming Elections.

    YES, It is TIME TO TAKE THIS COUNTRY BACK. (KEEP THE CHANGE)

  • Comment number 100.

    I am very concerned about Iran's nuclear ambition. The world will have a better chance to survive with one less nuke-nation.

 

Page 1 of 8

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.