BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say

Are campaigning politicians visible enough?

09:34 UK time, Saturday, 24 April 2010

Gordon Brown is to become a more visible presence in Labour's general election campaign and meet more "ordinary voters", the BBC understands. Is this the right approach?

Although Mr Brown was said to be pinning his hopes on visiting "ordinary voters", he has been criticised by rank-and-file Labour party members for appearing to meet only with party supporters.

Meanwhile on Friday Tory leader David Cameron met traders and customers at a "walkabout" in a London market and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg spoke to supermarket customers and staff when he stopped at Norwich.

Have you met any of the candidates for your area? What do you think of their campaigning so far? What kind of campaign tactics appeal to you?

Thank you for your comments. This debate is now closed.

Comments

Page 1 of 6

• Comment number 1.

Haven't seen a single one yet, but being in a 'safe' seat (Vincent Cable) I guess no-one's trying very hard.

• Comment number 2.

Not Brown's tactics that's for sure.

However I suppose he should be given credit in being brave enough to face the 'ordinary voter' considering there is so much anger felt about his incompetence not to mention the fact that he has ensured that the debts he has incurred will be round the necks of future generations for a very long time.

Presumably he will be well protected at our cost!

• Comment number 3.

In the case of Clegg I can see right through him. Nothing there.

• Comment number 4.

Not in Crewe & Nantwich they aren't... you wouldn't know that there was an election on.

C'mon - if you want my vote you need to do something for it.

Never mind voter apathy, we have candidate apathy here!!!!

• Comment number 5.

Have seen nobody yet David Cameron came to a local brewery last week but it was invited Tory voters only so the public could not ask him anything, Ive not seen anyone from Labour (we have a labour mp) or the lib-dems we are only 44th on the tories win list so not that important to them.

• Comment number 6.

I am pleased to hear that Gordon Brown is going to get out and talk to ordinary voters. I pray he does not listen to those advisors who suggest he has a go a Nick Clegg, we need to get away from petty party political snipping and the leaders need to concentrate on their own policies.

Last week I tried to attend a street meeting to listen to David Cameron, unfortunately it was farcical because it was a closed meeting of shipped in Conservative supporters for the camera's. I came away disgusted at the attempt to give a false impression to the TV cameras. Where as Nick Clegg street meeting here in the South West were genuine as he stopped and spoke to young and older people.
    Hopefully, Gordon Brown and David Cameron will now get away from spin doctor organised meetings and speak to the man in the street about their own policies. I would strong recommend to the three leaders to stop the petty snipping and smears and concentrate on telling us more about their own policies than turning the electorate off by petty bickering.

• Comment number 7.

I've had a pleasant exchange of emails with my Lib Dem candidate, and literature from all the other parties except the Conservatives. As I live in a Tory safe seat they probably feel comfortable taking the electorate for granted. We'll see.

• Comment number 8.

I haven't seen asingle canvasser yet, although that may be because my town has been moved fro a very insecure Labour ward to one of the safest Tory seats in the country, so maybe no-one feels we're worth bothering with this time around.

And with the newspapers & certain news channels constantly screaming at us,demanding that we vote how they want us to vote or ensure the final apocalyptic destruction of the country, maybe human canvassing is considered an old-fashioned irrelevance.

• Comment number 9.

What's the right campaign approach?

Simple, don't make promises you have no intention of keeping!

• Comment number 10.

Vince Cable is my MP ,too . Haven't seen any sign of him !

I know the Conservative candidate is campaigning in my area today...but I didn't have the courage to join one of the teams !

• Comment number 11.

They are very visible in Guildford! We just had a conservative campaigner knocking at our door and he seems to just be going round telling everybody to not vote Lib Dem. If he expects that they will win here just by going around telling everyone not to vote Lib Dem I think he may need to rethink his tactics.

• Comment number 12.

Aylebury LibDem candidate Steven Lambert is a good, strong candidate. He's been focussing on local issues mainly: local mental health centre and HighSpeed2 link on the boundary of the town, several hundred yards from where I live. He's been out and about canvassing as I see on Twitter and we've had newsletters through the door for months. The Tory MP Liddington seems too laid back in this seat and the only time I've heard anything about him is when I received a 'glossy' leaflet through the door yesterday; no doubt the Tories have more money for this campaign, but making less efforts. The Tories here won't allow as much public consultation as LibDems, so so much for Cameron's 'big idea' and involving people in their local communities!

• Comment number 13.

I wish they were invisible, they are all so very false.

• Comment number 14.

2. At 11:52am on 24 Apr 2010, Lynn from Sussex wrote:
    Not Brown's tactics that's for sure

Not altogether true Brown was at a meeting at my son's college and it was an open invite although there were security guards which of course are necessary and he answered non scripted questions.
    Cameron had a similar meeting and it was a closed shop, the audience who were told to sit behind him and therefore in view of the cameras were specially selected, perhaps that says it all
    Interesting to read that the so called heckler who had a go at Brown about school places was a Tory plant and doesn't even have children applying for school admission

• Comment number 15.

From what Ive seen on TV Clegg is the only one who ever meets real voters on the streets everytime you see Cameron if you look close its the same people in the crowd they must bus them in, Brown aways seems to be at factorys of places where the public can't ask him anything.

• Comment number 16.

What is the point of this campaigning? It looks like a leftover from a time before TV, where people simply wouldn't have known that a party or politician exists if they hadn't traveled the country. But today, how does politicians meeting people in front of cameras make a difference to politics? And if it doesn't, why should anyone bother? Beyond me!

• Comment number 17.

Rufus McDufus wrote:
    "Haven't seen a single one yet, but being in a 'safe' seat (Vincent Cable) I guess no-one's trying very hard"

Likewise, I live in a 'Labour haven’; they have a majority of 16,242 - one of the highest in the country. It would take a huge swing to unseat our MP. Considering I’m no Labour voter, it’s a bitter pill to swallow!

• Comment number 18.

They are visible enough but the questions put to them are rediculous. The tv programmers should give them more time to answer the questions. The tv debate is of lower standard compared to Jerome Paxman questions and that of the daily politics.

• Comment number 19.

I haven't seen a single candidate yet. I'm not particularly interested in what the party leaders are doing, although I have to give Gordon Brown credit for his bravery in being seen in public considering the ill feeling toward him. Sadly, even if we were to see the politicians I very much doubt they would answer our questions with anything more that the rehearsed script.

• Comment number 20.

So far Labour have been 'represented' in the election broadcasts by 2 doctor whos, a tranvestite and an actor who usually plays a mass murderer.
    I know Kinnock said Brown has a good 'radio face' but he really ought to be the one fronting their campaign.
    Or is he worried that people will feel nauseous at the sight of him?

Mr Brown - Celebrity does not work. You are the face of Labour.

• Comment number 21.

Haven't seen a sole yet, but my wife who is in a nursing home with severe dementia had a letter from one asking her to fill in a questionaire, shows how close they are to the "grass roots" & having an understanding of whats going on in their patch,

• Comment number 22.

Conservatives - Alistair Burt and Nadine Dorries are in safe Con Seats in most of Bedfordshire?

The new Central Beds Council (Tory run) have racked up their expenses, salaries?

Council Tax and Business Rates in Bedfordshire - already the highest in England for the smallest county in England?

Need we say more about the CONSERVATIVE POWER in ALL of BEDFORDSHIRE?

• Comment number 23.

• Comment number 24.

I don't see the point of all that trailing around shopping centres frightening babies.

• Comment number 25.

Cameron always sounds as if he is giving a rehearsed speech when he speaks.

• Comment number 26.

olddude4 wrote:
    "Haven't seen a sole yet, but my wife who is in a nursing home with severe dementia had a letter from one asking her to fill in a questionaire, shows how close they are to the "grass roots" & having an understanding of whats going on in their patch"

And if they didn't, people like you would turn round and grumble that they didn't try to connect with the public.

And if they kept lists of who was ill or had dementia, you would rightly call it an intrusion.

• Comment number 27.

Nope!
    All I have had is leaflets thorugh my letterbox; usually after dark.
    Are they afraid of something?
    I am waiting for a knock from the canvassers, so I can invite them in for a coffee, and give them a REAL debate!

• Comment number 28.

I haven't had the knock on my door yet.

I'll ask to see my sitting Labour MP's National ID card. Her voting records shows her to be really keen on these, so she'll be happy to wave the barcoded plastic.

Or will she? I so rarely meet Brits who love the "Papers, please!" approach.

• Comment number 29.

All this user's posts have been removed.Why?

• Comment number 30.

Have to recommend post #06 @ 12:07 on 24 April by 'Bryan Jones'.

Plus, regarding many so-called 'street meetings' by Cameron & Co? Would draw your attention to Cameron 'bodyguards' hustling away a lone women shouting with a libdem poster filmed by the BBC from the Tory battle bus? When is it legal for politicians like Cameron to allow their bodyguards to approach and intimidate any citizen when Cameron is around? Hmm?

• Comment number 31.

inezlc wrote:
    "Good question, and one that's perplexing me at the moment, as I'm standing in local Council elections. Because of professional commitments I don't get home from work until almost 7 at the earliest, and some people are worried about opening their doors in the evening. That leaves the weekends which are not popular either because most people don't want to be disturbed, and I feel as if I'm intruding. It really is difficult alnd although I make extensive use of "calling cards", I still feel I'm falling short"

Nice to hear from a politician. It must be busy: hope it's not toooo stressful. I can't see your job being any easier at the moment with the dumbed-down attitude that assumes that all politicians lie, are on the make and are not real people. It's a shame: this is damaging to plitics in the UK.

• Comment number 32.

In 20 years - non of the safe seat Conservatives have approached the people or businesses who pay the HIGHEST COUNCIL TAX AND BUSINESS RATES IN THE COUNTRY?

Who are these ripped-off citizens? Bedfordshire - the smallest county with the highest taxes in England!

• Comment number 33.

We haven't seen one - any flavour. Through the door all we have had is something that used a lot of words to say nothing from Labour, oh and some drivel from UKIP that says stopping immigration is going to solve everything - which just about sums up their grip on the world! This weeks special offers sheet from Londis is far more useful and intelligent.

• Comment number 34.

I hope Brown does take a higher profile and also Mandelson too - a discredited minister and the PM that never should have been. That'll really put Labour into 3rd place!!

• Comment number 35.

All this user's posts have been removed.Why?

• Comment number 36.

There isn't a genuinely likeable contender this time round, but seriously - how many of us really believe that any government is run by one individual? And yet we continue to focus on 'the leader' regardless.

Clearly the cult of the individual has been disastrous for Gordon Brown - a principled and honest man whose extraordinary shyness surely makes us all question his ambitions.

But Dave's plans to hold general elections following a change of PM rings hollow. In exploiting the 'we don't like Gordon because he wasn't elected' trend, Cameron is actively reinforcing a focus on individuals rather than on the competence and credentials of a proposed cabinet.

I'd rather see parties find and develop larger teams of front-line campaigners, speaking about their own aspirations, from their own perspectives and in relevant settings - to audiences who have a vested interest in their proposals and fields of interest.

• Comment number 37.

Totally invisible here, about half way up Finland, but since I am no longer allowed a vote, (though still liable for UK tax) it is understandable that campaigning politicians wouldn't feel the need to seek my views and voting intentions. Pity about the tax, though.

• Comment number 38.

media as been a disgrace, they should be impartial
    tv as over displayed the main three, at the expense of all the other parties,

• Comment number 39.

My local 'safe-seat' MP is a Tory, Nick Herbert. I haven't seen him in our village yet during this campaign, but have seen him regularly here since the last election. I'm sure he'll be about, and without a halo of taxpayer funded extras.

He has been more visible and active on local issues in my area than any previous MP, in fact more so than many local councillors. He always replies to letters, and seems a decent man.

Works for me.

• Comment number 40.

john wrote:
    "media as been a disgrace, they should be impartial
    tv as over displayed the main three, at the expense of all the other parties,
    i feel that it is time that the tv companies should be investigated for rigging the elections"

And maybe The Sun and Daily Wail?

• Comment number 41.

All this user's posts have been removed.Why?

• Comment number 42.

I returned home to Glasgow last night with 11 other stranded Britons. We each spent hundreds of pounds, by travelling by minibus, ferry and several buses up to Scotland. When we got to Dover, there was not a soul from any organisation, government or otherwise, whereas Calais was full of volunteers and spokepersons, happy to help those who had been travelling for days to get back to jobs and families. I was with 4 school teachers. It is in the governments interest to send buses, ships, and to keep prices the same instead of allowing money makers to hitch them up to extortionate levels. I hear that Brown sent a ship to retrieve 200 stranded Brits. 200. There are thousands and thousands who cannot get home, who are not being paid for. Yes, it is nature and nobody's fault. But the total lack of government action over the past 9 days has been absolutely scandalous and totally embarrassing for the UK. If they want to win an election, how about starting to focus on what we as British citizens need, and not on what they can get out of us. Also the news coverage on the election has overshadowed the plight of travellers, and has been blown so out of proportion. Let's face it. Noone one cares who wins, because there is absolutely no choice, no real difference between the parties, and the stage management of the campaign is plain for all to see. They say young people are going to be voting? I dont think so, I think we gave up on politics as soon as we grew old enough to see through their lies and greed.

• Comment number 43.

Have not seen one yet but this is what would do if and when one does come knocking
    Labour invite him in for a cup of tea
    Lib Dems have a chat with him
    Tory send him packing with his tail between his legs

• Comment number 44.

Nobody seems to be making an effort here in Barnsley, thanks to the gloriously undemocratic first-past-the-post voting system.

• Comment number 45.

If you see a confused fellow with a rosette and bad haircut being followed by an odd guy wearing army fatigues, you might think it's political campaigning. But it's just a joke some people are playing on the good citizens of Barking and Dagenham.

If you vote for them the joke stops being funny...

• Comment number 46.

I actually have not seen a single candidate.

It seems that none of the parties really want my vote becuase all they do is criticise each other rather than telling me what they are actually going to do.

What is the point of manefestos when politicians rarely deliver on them and they are so vague.

• Comment number 47.

Politicians and the press only care if you live in a marginal seat, otherwise your just another number.

I would like to see it to be mandatory for everyone to have to vote, those that do get a tax rebate of somesort.

• Comment number 48.

I live in a key West Midlands Labour marginal and I haven't had anyone on the doorstep from ANY party As regards campaign literature...I have had absolutely none from LibDem;one from Labour and about 3 from local Conservative candidate since February and a local newsletter in March plus targetted mailshots this month from the Conservative Central Office.The Conservatives seem to much more switched on than the other parties and probably have more money...they even have their supporters alongside traffic roundabouts holding up letters spelling their candidates name so on activity and profile alone the constituency should go conservative on May 6th

• Comment number 49.

Had three leaflets but no politicians at the door. I suppose their all out searching for that second home?

• Comment number 50.

33. At 2:38pm on 24 Apr 2010, Richard wrote:

-----

You read your UKIP leaflet?

Mine went straight to line the cats litter tray.

I suppose single issue parties don't really need to canvass. Your'e either narrow minded enough to be with them, or your realise the insanity of voting for a party with a single myopic agenda.

• Comment number 51.

Campaigning would require a Politician to get up and work wouldn't it? So no. Nothing in Norwich.

• Comment number 52.

But, Jenny Black, the election IS more important than your travel woes.

Do you really think the UK government is there to act as a travel agent when natural disasters strike?

Do you REALLY think "Noone one cares who wins, because there is absolutely no choice, no real difference between the parties"? Do you REALLY think the £6 billion of cuts which may or may not happen won't affect you? How does this work? It would affect everyone else, so I would be curious to hear how you rise above the realities of living in our society.

• Comment number 53.

Mr Clegg turned up here in Eastbourne, which is a Con/Lib marginal seat which the Libs are clearly desperate to win!

The amount of scathing neg literature against the Conservitives that they are bombarding us with is ridiculous, & they have even found some doddery ex Conservitive barrister MP from another county that I guess has retired here to use as amo (theres loyalty for ya).

It just amazes me that they appear warm & fluffy nationally, but they clearly have another side to them.

• Comment number 54.

I worry about conservative if they would take back Law on hunting no one has brought this up if they do they will never get my vote

I say conservative should try liveing on job seekers allouance £64 a week see how they cope in fact all parties should I apply for over 100 jobs a week and still am unemployed

my CV is very good and yet i am still unemployed

if you think £64.00 a week is good enough to live on think again ...

• Comment number 55.

35. At 2:55pm on 24 Apr 2010, Michelle Lenoir wrote:

As the press subtly back the Conservatives.

====

'Subtly'?

Which press is that?

• Comment number 56.

I have not seen any!

• Comment number 57.

I see that Gordon Brown has been serenaded by "Elvis" today,maybe they'll keep him on the staff until the day after the election,to announce on the steps of number 10, that Gordon has "left the building",Ah-hah-hah!!

• Comment number 58.

55. At 4:16pm on 24 Apr 2010, Osric wrote:
    'Subtly'?

Which press is that
    ___________________________________________________________________________
    For starters
    Daily mail
    The sun
    daily telegraph
    Rupert Murdoch

• Comment number 59.

The law on hunting... To me, a minor matter, but...

I wish the pro-hunt people would just admit that they enjoy seeing small animals being ripped to bits. It would be honest.

Foxhunting: probably the least effective pest control strategy ever used in the UK.

• Comment number 60.

Not had one knock on my door,I supposed to live in a marginal seat,could have fooled me,no one seems the slightest interested here.

• Comment number 61.

Going around our Safe Conservative seat, one would think that no election is taking place. I have seen 3 placards, and got a leaflet from our MP through the post. The tories came round to canvas, but that was for the local election; our ward has turned a blue/ green marginal. Just been in one of the main town centres of the constituency, and nothing. One wonders why there is such apathy, when the whole election, from the media to the parties is focussed on the 10 to 15% of seats which are marginal. The rest of us are basically ignored, as the seats have already been decided, they are safe seats and will not change. Nick Clegg spoke about safe seats leading to MPs who feel that they have a job for life and therefore were a cause of the expenses crisis; the truth is that safe seats breathe apathy because no-one cares, and essentially our votes are worthless.

• Comment number 62.

What we have are three good men who are actually on the same side.

As I said before there's no point starting the boat until the hole has been filled.

This is why I think we have to take the issue of the banks VERY seriously... 1000 x more seriously than we have so far. I don't know about you but I'm sick of us being taken for muggins by the big bonus banker.

• Comment number 63.

54. Get it right why don't you. The Conservatives have promised a free vote on the law concerning hunting with dogs. not just hounds but other dogs as well.

It is hardly likely that this issue will be top of an agenda when the main concern is the economy.

If your CV is as badly written as your comment, I am not surprised you are still unemployed. A few lessons in spelling and grammar wouldn't come amiss.

• Comment number 64.

A friend was canvassed by our MP (The Manure Man) and we've had a leaflet from him saying he made low claims on expenses (though he had to pay thousands back). It's brave of him to face us at all as people are still furious here. Several dyed-in-the wool Tory friends are voting tactically - Lib Dem or even Green - to try and oust Manure Man. The Lib Dem challenger scents victory this time - there are lots of Lib Dem posters and I've had a Lib Dem leaflet attacking corruption in Westminster, but no mention of the greater corruption in the EU.

Labour is nowhere to be seen - unsurprising. No chance here.

• Comment number 65.

I have not seen a single campaigner but then again this is polititians we are talking about. I cannot even remember the last time I actually seen a campaigner actively out meeting the people of where ever it is they are trying to get elected.

So if they cannot be bothered to be actively out campaigning for votes and meet the real people of the area, why should I be bothered to vote for any of them?

• Comment number 66.

Lynn from Sussex

That is the typical remark I expect from someone that would vote conservative

Thanks for the advice but your comment to me seems to be silly and aggressive so please do not comment back to me about anything I say thanks I do not wish to have a discussion with someone so bitter and twisted and confrontational

Thanks

• Comment number 67.

No, if you are very careful and check the radio times carefully you can make sure they ain't visible......oh and you also need to open the newspapers on the cartoon page first as well.

• Comment number 68.

Osril:Perhaps if you took the trouble of actually reading(I assume you can read)the manifesto of UKIP,you would find that their policies go far beyond immigration and if you honestly believe that we,as a nation should be throwing away over £4.3 billion last year and over £6.2 billion this year to the EU and this is after our so called rebate then you must belong to the over class privileged few in Britain because I personally find this obscene when our hospitals,children and old folk could be using this money instead.

• Comment number 69.

Errrr, very visible.

Have a look at this, it does come with a health warning for nulab types though

• Comment number 70.

I have had two leaflets delivered by Royal mail, one from labour and one from the snp, labour do not need to canvass, as they have such a large majority, even though my MP has flipped his home and avoided capital gains tax. Didn't Mr. Brown say that these MP's should be dealt with most seriously, will the labour party bin these greedy immoral MP's? Or was this just more decietful propaganda from a morally bankrupt party?

Maybe some of the other parties would make inroads to the obscene labour majority if they attempted to serve the community! perhaps a novel idea.

• Comment number 71.

Not his! The more he stays invisible, the better! We have seen enough of him and his cohorts over the last 13 years, to last this country for a thousand years!

• Comment number 72.

Again I will say I hope if the conservative do get in they will not bring back any kind of Law on hunting wild animals.

This is a barbaric sport and one that you would expect from people that can afford to buy guns and walk about shooting defenceless animals.

So people of the UK if you vote conservative you will ultimately vote for bringing back this sick sport.

This is a point that many have forgot about for by the conservative retch and snobbery.

• Comment number 73.

We have one of Lord Ashcroft's placemen, as a candidate for our area. He will get short thrift from me if he knocks on my door.

• Comment number 74.

How appropriate from the Labour party can you get? They actually use a "fake Elvis”, because just like everything else in Labour it IS an obvious fake that Labour will try to foist off as the real thing!

The real "wonder" of the Labour party , is that it survived in government so long and that there are actually people out there silly enough to vote for them apparently , even after all the damage they have done to virtually everything in the country and the disgrace they have brought upon it with their corrupt antics in government , remember no matter how much they try to deny it , it is this government that hands out billions to the very banks who are repossessing the homes of so many in the country , who get no help , whilst at the same time they were running up second homes and the bills for them along with various other expenses , talk about "fiddling whilst Rome burns" and it is the same government who having committed our troops to wars on two fronts , then failed to properly equip them to fight those wars , or even properly look after them and/or their families, when they were injured or killed fighting them , let them see at the polls that you have not forgotten nor forgiven.

Never in the annals of human history has so much spin and lies been used on so many occasions by so few..... i.e. The Labour Government , what can one say , other than that I never fail to be amazed that there are actually still people out there who actually fall for it every time. It doesn`t matter how many times spin , lies and scaremongering are repeated , they are and always will be spin , lies and scaremongering , so people please waken up and remember the damage this Labour government has done to this country and its people and how difficult it has been to remove them , as they clung to power to virtually the last possible moment , well now is YOU chance to let THEM see just how much you disapprove of them and their actions by consigning them to the history books at the next election. Don`t believe all the leis and spin of Labour , there IS a difference in the parties and YOUR vote DOES count , let them know it by turning out and voting against them , to register your disgust with them.

• Comment number 75.

Poor Jamie @66 clearly does not want to argue with anyone who can use facts. Elections are confrontational - get over it.

• Comment number 76.

#54. At 4:16pm on 24 Apr 2010, jamie wrote:

my CV is very good and yet i am still unemployed

if you think £64.00 a week is good enough to live on think again ...#

Jamie, I think you are being a bit narra minded to think that fox hunting has ended!

There was a report recently showing pro fox hunt thugs beating anti hunt people that were filming them!

Labours idea sounded good as a vote winner but lacked substance, such anyone able to police it.

• Comment number 77.

yes we have to concern ourselves with government build debt and Tax but we seem to forget that the conservative party is predominantly a party that will no doubt be serviced by the lord and ladies of this country and they will no doubt bring back in some type of class system where the retch get richer and the poor get poorer.

They have not changed they pamper to the south of England and want to further their own selves to me this has not changed since the Thatcher years.

• Comment number 78.

Is Gordon Brown visible? Honestly, I'd sooner he weren't except we don't want him completely invisible like his stealth taxes then we won't know what he's up to.

But I read on the BBC News homepage:

Gordon Brown has attacked Conservative NHS plans - and been joined by an Elvis impersonator - as he sought to "up the tempo" of Labour's election campaign.

Oh dear oh dear. He's totally scraping the bottom of the barrel. An Elvis impersonator? Um...who's Elvis?

No, seriously, if he needs props like that then he's SO out of touch that I wonder why he's in politics at all. Why not a monkey and a music box?

And WHY is he always slagging off opposition policies? Why not just push how good his are? I can't stand that...not that it makes much difference as I've long been turned off. I don't trust him and his fake smile; his rehearsed answers because he has no spontaniity; and I really don't think he and Darling are unable to get this country on an even keel. His record so far is atrocious.

So it isn't a question of visible or invisible as long as he keeps out of my sight.

• Comment number 79.

What campaign tactics appeal to me?

None of them.

• Comment number 80.

friendlyonewhocares, if you read the UKIP manifesto, then you are presumably bright enough to see that leaving Europe will decimate any industry reliant on importing or exporting goods because of the immediate change in market prices.

• Comment number 81.

72. At 4:56pm on 24 Apr 2010, jamie wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just imagine if Labour get in again, & their new employment idea does go badly wrong as predicted, & all of those people left unemployed & struggling with pets that can`t afford to keep.

• Comment number 82.

Paul J Weighell wrote:
    "Brown highly visible in some stocks on London Bridge so we can pelt him with rotten eggs would indeed be useful."

Do you do non-dumbed-down politics too?

• Comment number 83.

I would also advise people on this site if you have a comment to make back to someone for what they have to say please keep it polite and do not I repeat do not intend to either put them down or make their comment seem stupid it is polite to listen to what people have to say and manors cost nothing for the comment that Lynn from Sussex made to me.

You do not know my life and do not know anything about me. I am dyslexic and I do my best to correct any spelling mistakes but your comment was not only derogatory it was insulting thanks again and I think you should learn some manors but then you could probably buy some as your probably one of the voters that the conservative will no doubt want to speak to.

Sp if you have a reply pleas keep it in the politest of manors Thanks.

• Comment number 84.

If you talk to senior NHS hosital consultants they will tell you thatc.50% of their time is taken up by meetings and paerwork, because of the centralised control system put in by New Labour. In fact since 1997 most of the increase inNHS employess has been in non-medicAL STAFF I.E. BUREAUCRATS.
    The average NHS trust board has one consultant and the director of nursing on it.the rest are bureaucrats and non-execs. Crazy.

• Comment number 85.

I must also advise I neither vote conservative or Labour or Lib dems

• Comment number 86.

Andrew wrote:
    "I'm fed up of lies, spin, half-truths, and incomplete information. They should all be forced to present their cases in black and white, and simple English - not just the positive parts, but the negative parts too. How can we make an informed decision when we don't have all the facts?"

Er, you use your brain. Maybe you even read news too.

Or you act like a tribal sheep and vote the colour rosette that your mum and dad liked best.

• Comment number 87.

Jamie, you could even correct Lynn from Essex on "come amiss" instead of "go amiss". If you wanted. But that would be a cheap shot. Like me getting her country wrong. Naughty Phosgene.

• Comment number 88.

Labour have the worst NHS record of any party. You only have to have visited a hospital or looked at recent TV programmes to see the damage they have done during the last 13 years. One of course is the move of control from doctors to totally irrelevant Super Paid and super pensioned administrators. This has cost lives and is costing lives as we speak.

Then of course is the recent TV programme showing young children of young parents appearing in hospitals in the last few years for being morbidly obese and with terrible dental problems. All down to Labour policies over the last 13 years. Quite incredible how Labour have caused such terrible illnesses over just 13 years. Any further time for Brown will cost more lives.

• Comment number 89.

A MAJOR BNP MANIFESTO BOOB!

I think it is hilarious that Nick Griffin invoked the spectre of St George as his visual focus for the launch of the BNP manifesto.

What he may failed to have realised that English patron saint, St George, was either black or of middle-eastern origin. No doubt Mr Griffin will be keen to have St George repatriated as soon as possible.

• Comment number 90.

Totally irrelevant
    The Goldman Sachs and other investment Banks after setting up hedge funds designed to fail. Then selling them to European banks as good, then betting on there failure of these funds. The failure of these funds was one the main causes of the current economic crises in Europe. Goldman Sachs have walked away with massive profits enabling them to give out bonuses of $16.5 billion this year all ready. Ho and this is all legal and above board yes that is right all legal.
    Goldman Sachs has now profits equalling the debts entire European debt.
    There is a a general election on connection because if there was all the political party would be talking about it or the press would force them to right ?
    The legal or illegal invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan has now cost the country the equivalent of the national debt and the country will continue to pay and pay and pay, with the lives of our soldiers. More British lives have all ready been lost than in all the terrorist attacks. So why is no one talking about this ?
    Politicisations can be “economic with the truth” to the point that it is imposable to tell when the truth is been told and if they are court out a quiet rectification will do. A country's wealth is judged on G.D.P and as the fast majority of the country wealth is in the hands of fewer and fewer people. We the vast majority count for less and less and as long as masses stay quiet or conned nothing will change making every thing I have said here totally irrelevant to the election, because vote for how ever you vote for nothing will be changed. Speak out and you could be mistaken for a terrorist and locked up with out a trial. So play safe and keep quiet because there are more important and pressing thing to talk about. The colour of ties and the friendliness and like ability of the different party candidates.

John Doe

• Comment number 91.

They will only ever be 'visible' in the few marginal seats, having no interest whatsoever in the safe (i.e. 'sewn up') constituencies.

To get anywhere near one of these potential 'leaders' or more high profile politicians, you have to be screened for your political preferences or better still a party member! The whole thing is a pantomime and totally undemocratic, with all involved strictly briefed and choreographed, lest anyone from the Public be able to truly speak their mind and have it seen by the media!

These men live in a bubble, surrounded by sycophants and hangers-on, totally unaware of what the ordinary man in the street (me) wants. We know that when the cameras go off, the smiles fade to scowls.

We the British people (well some of us brighter ones that still give a damn) have finally realized what a farce the current electoral process is! Time for change methinks.

B.T.W. - Gordon - The Elvis impersonator - Words fail me!

• Comment number 92.

If you remember the story of the emperors new clothes you will see that most campaigning politicians are embarrassingly visible!

• Comment number 93.

Jamie's many comments just sum up how bigoted and blinkered some of those who might vote really are.

If he fondly imagines there will be jobs going begging under another term of Labour, then he is deluded as well.

I note that his dyslexia has improved and also that he does not intend to vote for one of the three parties which might form the next administration.

To Andrew, the only party that knows the true horrifying truth about the state of the country is Labour.

The two main opposition parties do not have access to that information in full.

Why is it so difficult to make a decision, if you are happy with what Labour has done, then vote for it.

If not, then use your judgement as to which of the others will bring down the debt, act on the benefits system, control immigration, stop wasting money on the non jobs in the NHS, get rid of the targets that the Police have to deal with, sort out the failed education system, encourage small businessess, this will lead to increased employment, stop giving more and more power to Europe, ensure our troops have the equipment they need, the list is almost endless.

• Comment number 94.

This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

• Comment number 95.

Thanks Phosgene

But something tells me she is away out either horse riding or shooting her wild animals on her land

Either that or she is probably out shouting at her butler

It doesn’t cost anything to be nice to people and I personally think yes I might need to correct my spelling sometimes but I’d rather have that bad spelling than being nasty to people via comments

I pride myself on manors and politeness

Something we should all have it costs nothing and you can take almost everything from people but one thing you will never take is someone’s pride

So spelling should not be as important as treating someone with the respect they deserve

I will say this though none of the parties have realised this I think the UK population want the parties to work together and stop in fighting

If they keep giving cheap shots and fighting it will turn people off politicks all together

This is what they seek to prevent but they are heading straight for it

People do not want to turn the TV radio or any other thing on and see MP's fighting and giving cheap shots just to get in to power

WE WANT THEM TO WORK TOGETHER

Until they realise this imp afraid they will all lose

We need change in the actual way we do things in this country maybe I think we need a revolution and to think how we actually do things

We watch News and we watch bad things happen there is enough suffering in the world without MP's adding to this by picking like vultures at each other

Work together and take the good points from all the parties and just maybe you may have something that might have a chance of working

But sadly this will not happen because we have too many people in parelement and too many people seeking to get a job in power

They forget it is the people of the UK that put them in power we can take it away

I think the people of the up should get more say about the big decisions

I also think people want to have a say about them

But we never get the chance apart from a 5 year general election

So ill say all the parties have some good ideas but not one party has the ability to put this in to practice

For god sake MP's have a consensus and work as a team not a bunch of people that want to gain their own self interests

Until this happens and we can actually see people of the UK and hear the voices of the people that never get heard this UK is doomed to either the conservative or labour

And we are doomed to have someone make decisions that they think are the ones that we want to happen when we actually never get heard

Sorry about the rant but you get the point

• Comment number 96.

Remind me, what is the definition of an 'Ordinary Voter'? Is it any voter; a voter who lives in a house they own; one who lives in rented or housing associated stock; someone who habitually does (or for that matter, does not) vote; someone on benefits? What?

• Comment number 97.

So Gordon Brown is going to take a more active part in Labour's campaign from now on.
    So that's another 5 points of their opinion poll ratings, then.
    He really has no idea, stooping to a new low appearing with an Elvis Impersonator today.
    It's a gift to the Sunday Paper cartoonists : you can see the foonote :
    "Dead Man Walking"

Tony Blair would never have given the opposition such good ammunition.

• Comment number 98.

Yes one Conservative and one Liberal canvasser. That's it.
    I'm getting more and more annoyed at BBC TV and website focusing overwhelmingly on Brown and Labour. Comments and way of reporting indicates Labour bias i.e. masses of publicity for Brown & co, if no opportunity to present pro-Labour publicity then report favourable to Liberals gets prominence.
    Example - Headlining today Brown to "up-tempo" (Labour's spin on being forced to abandon failed strategy as so many times since 1997). You could instead have headlined Cameron's statement about forcing election within 6 months if PM replaced mid-term. That you haven't, following many previous examples, appears as attempt to soften or shield Brown/ Labour from something embarrassing and harmful to them. I have noted this bias repeatedly during the present campaign.
    Example - comments on PM debates pick at Cameron despite good performance but highlight Brown spin that he's good on substance when its obvious there's no more substance in his claims than Clegg's or Cameron's. All avoiding like mad talking about big cuts in govt spending ESSENTIAL to getting out of mess Labour lead us into and back to sound finances in the future.
    Example - On R4 interviewers never seem to press Labour ministers when failing to answer an awkward question. They are let off the hook far to easily. Not so if it's a Conservative being interviewed.
    The BBC has lost the previous reputation for unbiased reporting it once had which is a great shame.

• Comment number 99.

93. At 5:38pm on 24 Apr 2010, Lynn from Sussex wrote:
    ___________________________________________________________________________
    No am not happy with what Labour as done. But what that evil Thatcher did in the 80s then Major did upon till 97 still makes me cringe to what they did. As i live in an former coal mining community what they did will live with me forever. So as far as i am concerned Labour will be still getting my vote.

• Comment number 100.

Our local sitting Tory (North Dorset) - very entrenched but now threatened by boundary changes - has just got very ratty in his latest leaflet. The Lib Dem candidate had thoughtfully described in her leaflet our sitting MP's appalling parliamentary voting (lack of) record and quoted the Telegraph review of his expenses as "one of the least value for money MPs." Not a happy bunny at all. How dare she "smear" me with these disgraceful "personal attacks"! - he rants in his new leaflet. Then he himself quotes in great detail (21 points) Nick Clegg's expenses claims! Down to the laminate floor and curtain rails! Nothing personal, clearly.

Page 1 of 6