BBC BLOGS - Gary Innes
« Previous | Main | Next »

Lovat celebrate taking Fort William scalp

Post categories:

Gary Innes | 13:26 UK time, Monday, 23 May 2011

It was all knock-out action this weekend as the first round of the Artemis MacAulay Cup took place across the country and the big shock saw Fort William crash out at the hands of Lovat.

Fort William's record in the MacAulay Cup has always been pretty poor but that should take nothing away from a fine Lovat display.

Jamie Matheson put the Kiltarlity men ahead after 18 minutes before Fort's Bryan Simpson leveled the score almost immediately. With the game in the balance, Fraser Gallagher's strike after half time was enough for Lovat to progress, while Fort William will once more have to rethink their strategy of late.

Lovat surprised Fort William in the MacAulay Cup

Lovat surprised Fort William in the MacAulay Cup (pic: Neil Paterson)

In the other MacAulay Cup fixtures, Lochaber took on Kilmallie at Spean Bridge loosing out 4-1. Lachlan Campbell's first-half goal saw Lochaber lead into half time before a Peter MacIntyre double followed by strikes from Liam MacDonald, and John Stewart breezed the Caol men through to the second round.

Newtonmore were back to winning ways when they demolished Kinlochshiel 5-0. Unfortunately for Shiel, the first two goals were scored by their own men - Paul Macrae, and Graham Kennedy the culprits.

When the Newtonmore forwards did manage to score, the strikes came from Danny MacRae, Ackie Macrae, and John MacKenzie.

Another surprise result was South 1st Division's Bute travelling to play Premier Inveraray, and winning. David Whitelaw was the hero on 77 minutes to make the long journey home a happy one for the islanders.

Glasgow Mid Argyll hosted Oban Celtic and comfortably finished the fixture 8-2. There were further own goals in this one, with Neil MacNab and Adrian Cakebread the unfortunate men, while Andy Mathie and Craig Anderson both chipped in with doubles for GMA. Patrick Jamieson, and Dan Hood also scored, while David Duthy and Kenny Wotherspoon replied for Celtic.

Glenorchy found themselves on the end of an 11-0 thrashing from Kyles Athletic. Roddy MacDonald and Grant Irvine each grabbed four goals as the Tighnabruich men eased through without a hitch.

Glenurquhart had the uphill task of facing a Kingussie side with Ronald Ross back on form. It only took the great man two minutes to find the net, before Ryan Bothwick increased King's lead minutes later. Lewis MacLennan managed to pulled one back for Glen before Ross, and Craig Dawson, put the game out of reach.

Kilmory and Oban Camanachd's game was postponed and will be rescheduled for this coming weekend.

For all the rest of the Premier clubs it's back to league action this weekend, with Glenorchy facing Newtonmore, Kingussie clashing with Kyles, leaving Kilmallie to challenge Lovat.

Fort William go to Inveraray with only one point separating the sides. Since the clubs share the same colours - yellow and black - the visitors will be digging out an old white strip for its annual appearance.

Unfortunately, I will miss out again. This time, I say goodbye to the Islay Whisky Festival, and move to the Orkney Folk Festival. Unless of course there is a rich Fort William supporting pilot with his own helicopter that would like to fly me down and back, then please get in touch. I reckon my chances are slim!



BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.