Main | Next »

Blog one

Rosemary Edwards | 11:54 UK time, Tuesday, 22 April 2008

It's been an amazing few weeks. Filming at Berryfields on high definition cameras seemed the same as any other day until we all saw the results on a high definition television when the first programme went out on April 4th. It reminded me of the wonder I had as a child when our old black and white television was replaced with glorious technicolour. Every line on Monty's hand; every seed to hit the soil - it all sprang out at me - larger than life. The magic of TV - almost on a par with the magic of gardening......but maybe not quite.

If there's one thing I love more than savouring my own modest little garden than it's savouring the beauty of other people's, so I've been mesmerised by the brilliant photos posted on the flickr group of all your gardens at dawn and dusk. I do hope we can show some in the programme at certain points throughout the year. Shelley and Dave I love your artichokes at sunset. And the green gladiolus posted by Claire Openshaw is stunning. It makes me wish my own garden was not so shade loving. I've tried gladioli; I've tried lupins, I've tried delphiniums but all eventually assign themselves to a shadowy grave. This year I've got higher hopes for my Acanthus...if I can just get tall spires I'll be happy.

Monty's own tip about sowing carrots on April 11th got me thinking too. I'm in my second year as an allotment holder and it's time to branch out so I've copied Monty and not sown in rows. Now I just need to wait for a programme on thinning them out as I didn't get that right last year either.....

Planes, trains and garden mowers! It can be a funny old chestnut gardening on camera when every line our presenters' deliver ends up competing with the general background noises we all take for granted. This week Carol had a challenge and a half. She tried to talk about cacti only to be drowned out by a nearby garden strimmer; she tired to dig up hardy geraniums only to be stopped by the quaking of our local ducks and she tried to plant lily bulbs over the drone of a circling aircraft. If she firmed those bulbs in once she firmed a dozen times. Luckily, no one firms like Carol Klein. Those bulbs couldn't have got a better start.

Comments

• 1. At 9:44pm on 25 Apr 2008, greyfabiola wrote:

Why was Monty Don not on Gardeners world tonight, where has he gone and when will he be back?

• 2. At 12:48pm on 30 Apr 2008, zojeha wrote:

From Zojeha. 30/04/08
    Can anyone tell me where to find true greengage plumtrees that I remember as a child? The plums become greener, rather than yellower, as they ripen. Yet all those I see nowadays labelled as greengage seem actually to be yellowgage!

• 3. At 11:16am on 05 May 2008, AndrewSJones wrote:

Many years ago, Monty Did a garden on the Coventry Canal Side, near the M6. Could he go back to it and see how it has progressed?

Also I think that Joe and Rachel did up a garden or two in Bournvil. How have they grown? The gardens that is!

Either way, they should add content to the program.

• 4. At 10:41pm on 05 May 2008, Prototype_mike wrote:

I gather Monty will be missing from the show for the next few weeks. Can anyone tell us why please..... is he just taking a well earned rest?

• 5. At 8:29pm on 13 May 2008, emhealing wrote:

It would be nice if someone would recognise that Monty is not there. He is sorely missed!!!! I love the new Gardener's World theme- I hum it during my workday-I love it!! You do a brill job with this show!!

• 6. At 7:10pm on 14 May 2008, megaFlowerfan wrote:

Whilst it was interesting watching Joe's attempts at Flower Arranging can we please have more on this subject.
    The National Association of Flower Arranging Societies has over 74,00 members throughout the country. Flower Arrranging and Gardening go hand in hand, Can I suggest that you have a different NAFAS demonstrator once a month showing simple designs using foliage and flowers from the garden. Also information on how people can join a local club.
    Breakfast TV had an item this morning about British Flowers, why not follow up with how these can be arranged in the home, and if you want to learn more how to join a club.

• 7. At 10:08pm on 22 May 2008, nva1967 wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear on today's programme that Monty is stepping out.
    After 5 years watching him planting and sowing, I'll be missing his friendly face and soft voice on the little box.

• 8. At 7:49pm on 23 May 2008, Robarpark wrote:

We were so sorry to hear of your health
    hiccup-we're sure that's all it will be and look forward to seeing you back on screen very soon...GET WELL SOON XX

• 9. At 7:56pm on 23 May 2008, Robarpark wrote:

I missed the spectacle of Joes flower arranging-but couldn't agree more about the necessity for more of it on TV-especially on Gardeners World-NAFAS members are amongst the most prolific gardeners .
    I used to enjoy Sarah Ravens cutting garden for instance -but there are hundreds of excellent arrangers with such varying styles it could warrant its own programme-but please not in the morning when I'm at work!!

• 10. At 9:16pm on 03 Jun 2008, Bistort wrote:

What a shame the wildlife programme on Friday was let down by poor facts and mis-information. For example hawkbit is not actually good for butterflies and no British caterpillar feeds on it. Gardeners need to know there are much better flowers they can plant to attract butterflies to nectar.
    Kingfishers will search for their favourite food (small fish), in running water like streams and brooks and very rarely ponds like the one at Berryfields. However such ponds are great for dragonflies, which will use specific perches to bask.
    I'm sure viewers would really value wildlife tips for the garden - but surely they should be given by a presenter with both genuine wildlife and gardening knowledge.
    There must be people out there?

• 11. At 9:55pm on 13 Jun 2008, MRSBOUQUET1 wrote:

I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO SEE FLOWER DESIGN DEMONSTRATIONS ON THE PROGRAMME. I WOULD IMAGINE THAT FLOWER ARRANGERS ARE A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF GW VIEWERS AS THE TWO GO HAND IN HAND.

• 12. At 2:12pm on 18 Jul 2008, wonderfulplanetearth wrote:

Stag beetles: I have just come across this blog for the first time so hello!! I noticed a couple of people seeking info about Stag Beetles and wanted to pass on this information. The Peoples Trust for Endangered Species (PTES) has for the past few years been monitoring sightings of Stag Beetles because they have become an endangered species in Europe. The are monitoring the in the UK, we still have slightly more of them than other european countries. This helps to build up a picture of their habitat and where the are prospering or declining. I was interested to find out that the adults only live for 4 weeks during which time they need to mate, but take 4 years to develop normally in rotting wood. The Natural History Museum did an information week on them this year. To get information about how you can help them and get tips for stag-friendly gardening, see good photos,and record sightings you can go to http://ptes.org/ and click on Bury Buckets for Beetles. another useful site is www.nationalinsectweek.co.uk. best of luck to all fans of the gentle giants!