Behind the scenes

Andy Vernon | 12:03 UK time, Friday, 25 April 2008

Well we've just put tonight's programme to bed and even though I do miss Monty, I think it's a great show. Carol's really on top form with 2 lovely items in our extended nectar bar and is back in the cottage garden planting the most gorgeous perennial wallflowers.

There's a variety that's called 'Hector's gatepost' which has beautiful smokey, purpley-pink flowers and one called 'Apricot Beauty' which is more of a tangerine dream in my eyes! I have to admit, I'm really getting into perennial wallflowers at the moment. I've got a feeling that they're making a bit of a comeback, so much so that we've just recced the NCCPG national collection and will be making a lovely film about it in a couple of weeks for next years' series. As well as producing the weekly programmes, another part of my job is planning the short films that we film this year to play out in next year's programmes - so I have to try to have 2 series of Gardeners' World in my head at the same time - this can be rather mind boggling!! I'm always encouraging our great team of researchers to think of new stories, new groups of plants and new gardens to make films about, so if you know of an amazing garden, a gorgeous collection of plants, or a horticultural story that you'd really love us to cover, then here's your chance! Get blogging and let me know!

Comments

• 1. At 8:39pm on 25 Apr 2008, mikeywil wrote:

We all miss Monty - where is he?

(BTW - Nothing wrong with Carol !!)

• 2. At 9:14pm on 25 Apr 2008, pammies wrote:

Worried about Monty...is he OK?

Anyone got news?

• 3. At 10:00pm on 25 Apr 2008, __katie__ wrote:

i really enjoyed tonights programme carol is a star!

• 4. At 07:30am on 26 Apr 2008, percy220 wrote:

There's obviously something wrong, as for the last few weeks the message has been that Carole will be working from home.

Where is Monty ????

• 5. At 10:14am on 26 Apr 2008, Aslan50 wrote:

I have just joined the blog to ask where is Monty. I think it was very poor that there was no announcement on the programme.

Carol may be a very good gardner but she isn't a very good presenter - not a patch on Monty or the Gardners he followed. The bbC needs a major re-think before next weeks show, perhaps they should let the young head gardener anchor the show (sorry I have forgotten her name but she is a natural communicator- Anno Domini) and let Carol get back to her patch in Devon.

• 6. At 10:40am on 26 Apr 2008, Allium1 wrote:

Absolutely dreadful programme, one of the worst so far from a weak' series and
    obviously hastily cobbled together due to Monty's unavailability.
    Carol is OK in very small doses, Joe's OK ish on his own but we've seen quite enough of his family they add nothing beyond a vaguely 'creepy' feel to the allotment slot.
    Might it be possible when describing a plant to have an insert showing it in flower? That did happen in the good old days of GW.

• 7. At 11:53am on 26 Apr 2008, __katie__ wrote:

Well, what you found "dreadful" about this weeks Gardeners World is quite beyond me!

Maybe it was all the actually gardening that was shown ,though to be honest i was under the impression thats what this programme was supposed to be about.

Maybe it was the clip shown of Geof Hamilton?no it cant have been that he was another real gardener.Sadly Missed.

Ok the allotment slot wasnt that exciting but lets be honest its a new venture so will take some time to get up and running.
    There are quite enough "instant gardening" programmes on tv as it is without expecting Gardeners World to be the same .

Gardeners World used to be a programme for gardeners to watch ,sadly i found over the past few seasons it was boring, the enthusiasm just wasnt there until last nights programme.
    well done for an excellent and entertaining programme!

• 8. At 7:30pm on 26 Apr 2008, stocol wrote:

Just have to say how much I enjoyed the show on Friday. I have long felt the need for a change of presenters. Carol was like a breath of fresh air with her natural enthusiasm which makes you just want to get out in the garden and do as she recommends. Please, please please give her the program on a permanent basis. Joe Swift is good in the allotment allthough he has made mistakes with preperation and it will be interresting to see how he copes further down the line. It was good to see the children encouraged to take.
    Alys is also very good and fits in very well with the rest of the team

• 9. At 10:22pm on 26 Apr 2008, virtualEmily23 wrote:

I new Monty wasn't going to be there he said he was unavailable for the next 6 weeks i think it was.

A agree that the head gardener (Aly Fowler) was a great presenter, i would love to see more of her presenting in the programmes. She explained things properly to help the novice gardener how to do things properly.

• 10. At 00:47am on 27 Apr 2008, theboyjenkins wrote:

I thought Friday night's show was great. Carol did a great job at hosting the programme, and the content of the show was very informative. I particularly liked the enthusiasm Carol showed for tackling the Berryfields cottage garden.
    I enjoy all of the current presenters, and like the new format of the show.
    Well done to all involved.

As I newby to gardening, I wondered if you had ever done (or plan to do) a section of the programme on identifying weeds and the best way to deal with them in a manner similar to the current sections about particular pests? Perhaps an idea for the future?

• 11. At 5:24pm on 27 Apr 2008, whelklington wrote:

I enjoyed Friday's show and thought Carol was great. I do enjoy her enthusiasm.

Alys' bits were good; very straightford and informative.

Joe is my favourite and I enjoyed his practical bits but his section got a little too personal to his family. If the other allotment owners are going to feature, rather that see them joking around with Joe, maybe they could share their unusual tricks of the trade or quirky growing secrets

It was a shame that we didn't get to see the various plants being used in flower but perhaps the show was cobbled together a bit after Monty's mysterious disappearance.

Overall good show though.

• 12. At 8:34pm on 27 Apr 2008, _peter__ wrote:

Amazing as it may seem, Monty isn't public property and is entitled to privacy. I expect he is probably exhausted, having filmed 80 Gardens all last winter then straight into Gardeners' World! Give the chap a break!

Come back soon, Monty, but well done Carol and team in the meantime.

• 13. At 10:44pm on 27 Apr 2008, Thomas_bowater wrote:

Hi everyone, i would just like to say that i think fridays proggramme was brilliant. Welldone to Carol and the team.

• 14. At 11:34pm on 27 Apr 2008, Holly-Ivy-Mistletoe wrote:

Great programme, keep up the good work Joe and Carol, but who was the inexperienced young woman who was pricking out, she lacked skill and confidence.
    I was taught to firmly press the compost in the tray before planting the seedling and to place the tray in water, not to water from the top with a watering can. I thought it was very misleading for beginners.

Have I got it wrong ?

• 15. At 12:09pm on 28 Apr 2008, moderator wrote:

Hi - to those of you asking about Monty's health and wherabouts, he has replied on the TV Gardening message board, here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbgardening/F2759004?thread=5376648

Scroll down to message no. 7 to see what he says.

• 16. At 5:35pm on 28 Apr 2008, muckycloggs wrote:

Great to have Carol's enthusiasm and plant knowledge. Refreshing artist approach to the cottage garden, even mixing up veg and flowers! Young Alice talks too fast slow up kid, please look at the camera sometimes. Joe's Allotment very topical keep up the good work. Could you bring back Bob Flowerdew as a guest presenter?

• 17. At 7:24pm on 28 Apr 2008, __katie__ wrote:

I for one would love to see Bob Flowerdew back on gardeners world!

• 18. At 6:37pm on 30 Apr 2008, Eladekralc wrote:

The old adage 'Can't please all the folks all of the time' is apt here!

I honestly cannot see what some of you are complaining about.

I love Joe and Family getting involved as that is what is happening in the allotment movement at the moment.

Carol does a fine job, and as for Alys speaking to quick , I actually think she has a great TV voice and explained her bits extremely well.

As for Bob Flowerdew coming back no sorry, I would turn the TV off, it will be like watching a Hair shampoo advert, as he sways his ponytail around making sure it is over his shoulder - Yuk!

I would like to see Sarah Raven, Pippa and also Anne Swithenbank as all of them have an air of knowing what they are talking about and putting it across well.

How about a guest presenter every show while Monty is on his well earned sabatical!

• 19. At 11:51am on 02 May 2008, beeebumble wrote:

Hi!
    I thoroughly enjoyed last Friday's Gardeners World. All the presenters bring something of themselves to the programme and that diversity is to celebrated :-))

I hope Monty looks after himself properly and it will be nice to see him on the box when he feels ready to enjoy it all again with no detriment to his health. Maybe he can relax in his own garden for once !

Good gardening to all.

• 20. At 9:47pm on 16 May 2008, fred115 wrote:

The programme is much improved. More varied and more useful. I like Monty, but Carol is just fine, a lovely practical person. I would like to see more of Sarah Raven.
    Sadly the home page has gone in the opposite direction. Once a simple and clear summary of the programme. Not now. Please return to showing the names of plants in relation to the section of the programme in which they appear.

• 21. At 12:21pm on 17 May 2008, shoodles wrote:

Carol Klein is a wonderful asset to GW. More please.
    I would have sacked Joe Swift for the dreadful mess that he was leaving for
    someone else to clear up after throwing soil into the boxes. Soil in gravel in a weed paradise.

Alys is a young gardener with modern ideas. Maybe she doesn't work the
    same as the older gardener (me included) but she is still very good.
    Let's see more of her.
    Sara Raven also adds enthusiasm and is very watchable, more of her please.

If we have to have Monty back can he just appear as a guest, maybe showing us his own garden occasionally.

• 22. At 9:12pm on 22 May 2008, akasaraian wrote:

Just heard Monty is unwell and leaving the programme. Whatever you do, don't let Joe Swift anywhere near it. he's the most boring presenter on TV and too full of himself. Please get him off the Chelsea Floer Show. We love Chris Beardsaw !!

• 23. At 2:08pm on 06 Jun 2008, atkinsonng wrote:

I watch gardeners world on an infrequent basis. Why, because I often find that the sort of gardening I like to do isn't covered or at least rarely.
    So last week I had read that Simon King was to appear and give some Advice on how Garden for Wildlife. Great or so I thought. Imagine then my disappointment while I watched Simon tell us about putting in a pond and adding bird feeders to the garden.
    Anybody with the slightest interest in wildlife will have already done this.
    Come On BBC this was an opportunity to advise and show how to garden for wildlife. and you let it slip by. Add all the gardens together in the Uk and you have one hell of a nature reserve. What would be useful is knowing what to do and when with out stating the obvious. So how about a slot giving just that. I feel sure this would be a popular feature even those gardeners who have other agendas need nature to make their garden work. Time to get up to speed.

• 24. At 9:31pm on 16 Jun 2008, Theonlyredrosie wrote:

Really enjoyed Toby Newtons contributions recently. He appears to be a 'proper' gardener, talking sense and with a bit of WIT about him. Wouldn't be a bad choice for presenter. Geoff Hamilton and the wonderful Titchmarsh both had these merits. My RHS qualified mates, mixed age graphics chums, sister who is a new allotmenteer and my 'pottering round the garden mum' (that's a varied bunch!') all think Joe Swift should stick to what he does best - designing. We want to learn the correct way to do things not muddle along with him and his fame seeking family. Carol is great in part, very enthusiastic but not got all round knowledge. Alys is a breath of fresh air AND she speaks properly. So, Toby Newton or Chris Beardshaw it is then...

• 25. At 9:42pm on 16 Jun 2008, Theonlyredrosie wrote:

So who's Toby Newton??? Obviously I meant Toby Buckland...

• 26. At 6:40pm on 21 Jun 2008, Wellingtonia wrote:

Can anyone please tell me where you can buy the Sweet Potato slips sold on this weeks show, the ones in the black plastic box looked good.!

• 27. At 09:00am on 26 Jun 2008, sierentz wrote:

can one buy a four leaf clover plant ?