BBC BLOGS - F1 Mole
IN ASSOCIATION WITH

BBC Sport's fuel-adjusted Brazilian GP grid

F1 Mole | 23:37 UK time, Saturday, 17 October 2009

The Brazilian Grand Prix looks like being a straight fight between Rubens Barrichello and Mark Webber.

The chaotic qualifying session at the Brazilian Grand Prix, and the subsequent mixed-up grid, makes drawing definitive conclusions from the fuel-adjusted lap times difficult.

The drivers in the top 10 shoot-out are not allowed to refuel between qualifying and the race, so their pace is dictated by how much fuel they have on board.

And once the weight of fuel in the cars in the final session is taken into account, Red Bull's Webber emerges as the fastest man in the field, with pole-man Barrichello second, albeit by a margin of only 0.056 seconds.

Qualifying was held in the wet, and forecasts for the race are mixed. But it is still possible to draw a sense of who might be in best shape for the race.

Judging by the cars' relative pace in the little dry running that has been possible at Interlagos this weekend, the Red Bull is expected to be faster than the Brawn.

And with Webber fuelled to do two more laps than Barrichello, the Australian has the chance to jump the Brazilian at the pit stops.

Either way, those two have to be considered the hot favourites for race victory as it is difficult to see any of the drivers immediately behind them having the pace to challenge them, whether it is wet or dry.

Adrian Sutil, Rubens Barrichello and Mark WebberBarrichello (centre) and Webber (right) look in strong shape for the Brazilian Grand Prix

The fuel-adjusted top 10, with predicted first pit stop laps, looks like this:

1 Mark Webber (lap 22)
2 Rubens Barrichello +0.056secs (lap 20)
3 Adrian Sutil +0.231 (lap 23)
4 Jarno Trulli +0.361 (lap 24)
5 Sebastien Buemi +0.501 (lap 24)
6 Kimi Raikkonen +0.622 (lap 20)
7 Nico Rosberg +0.631 (lap 23)
8 Kazuki Nakajima +0.790 (lap 26)
9 Robert Kubica +0.963 (lap 22)
10 Fernando Alonso +1.862 (lap 20)

In terms of the championship battle, then, that is good news for Barrichello and terrible news for Jenson Button, who is down in 14th on the grid.

Barrichello heads into the race 14 points adrift of Button, and must make up at least five points on his team-mate to keep his title hopes alive going into the final race in Abu Dhabi in two weeks' time.

On the face of it, his chances of that look pretty good - Barrichello's hopes of scoring at least eight points, for second place, are strong, with 10 for the win. If Barrichello is second, Button would need to finish at least fifth to win the title - a difficult job from that far back. And if the Brazilian wins, the Englishman would have to be third.

Realistically, then, Sunday's race will be yet another exercise in damage limitation for Button - but then he's been getting rather a lot of experience in that in recent races.

Two places behind him, things are more clear-cut for the final title contender, Webber's team-mate Sebastian Vettel. With a 16-point deficit to Button, he has to score seven more points than Button just to keep his hopes alive. The German has no choice but to simply throw caution to the wind and go for it.

Comments

• 1. At 00:04am on 18 Oct 2009, pringlecake wrote:

It would be fantastic for Rubens to win his home grand prix and for Jenson to not score, giving us a great finale in Abu Dhabi. Rubens has waited for so many seasons to have a championship chance and is, in my opinion, a more deserving champion than Button.

I love wet races but for once I'll be hoping for a dry race that Rubens can win without worries (hopefully) and for Button to finish outside the top eight. Come on Rubens!!!

• 2. At 00:15am on 18 Oct 2009, meerkat loves melon wrote:

Button seems to be all over the place. With current form and grid positions youd have to say that Barrichello is in great position to not only take the race but the championship.

Come on Barrichello, who really wants boring Button to win, not me!

• 3. At 00:22am on 18 Oct 2009, CiaranJ wrote:

I'd put my money on Webbo because Rubens is going to have to be cautious going into turn 1. On a similar note, I wouldn't want to be surrounded by all those rookies like Jenson is. There's a great graphic showing the grid positions, corrected and uncorrected, here: http://tinyurl.com/brazilgrid
    Why can't the BBC do something like this?

• 4. At 00:37am on 18 Oct 2009, hackerjack wrote:

Why can't the BBC do something like this?

--------

They do! They just choose to us it on the TV show on race day rather than here.

• 5. At 00:44am on 18 Oct 2009, CiaranJ wrote:

They do! They just choose to us it on the TV show on race day rather than here.

------

They only show the corrected grid order though, not the relative gaps in time.

• 6. At 00:59am on 18 Oct 2009, sharklb wrote:

I think Button is a good driver who had a great start of the season.
    He has since crumbled under pressure and this is why it will not be until the last race until the title is concluded. He should have capitalized on his start-of-the-season form... What a mess of a season!

• 7. At 01:03am on 18 Oct 2009, edwardzen wrote:

01: Button is still more deserving - six wins + greater consistency - if this had been reversed a la Kimi 2007 it would be more widely acknowledged.

• 8. At 01:11am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

Why is Rubens more deserving? He has had the same car as Jenson all season however he has only won 2 grand prix (potentially 3 and at the most 4) compared to Jenson's 6 in the bag already! I get the arguments about everybody else catching up, but to reiterate... Rubens has had the same car as Jenson all season ergo he will be a deserving world champion but no more so than Jenson. It's not rocket science (the most points wins) and considering this website is predominantly made up of Brits - get behind JB.. our country needs winners!!

• 9. At 01:12am on 18 Oct 2009, aroyalewithcheese wrote:

I want Jenson to win the title, but I really want to see Rubens win tomorrow just so it goes to the last race

• 10. At 01:23am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

Off topic.. however why does this site say it is reactively moderated (i.e. lie!) when I still have to wait 15 plus minutes for my quite passive, clean and un-inflammatory comment to be moderated?

• 11. At 01:27am on 18 Oct 2009, madad69_81 wrote:

At 01:03am on 18 Oct 2009, edwardzen wrote:

Could not agree more, Buttons form at the beginning of the season was sensational and if he wins the title without any more victories he will still have won more than the goldenboy Hamilton last season. Jenson will be more than deserving of his title after 9 hard years in the sport. Saying that, if JB does not win, then I don't think there is nobody more deserving to capitalise than Rubens. Will be an interesting finale again as it is surely now going down to the wire!

• 12. At 01:28am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

Funnily enough my last post (that went straight on) would suggest that if you don't mention names you will post immediately... the BBC are obviously concerned with libel/slander (I answered my own question then!!)

• 13. At 01:39am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

This is a test... Jenson Button, Rubens, Vettel.. did this post straight away.. I very much doubt it!! ;-p

• 14. At 01:41am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

It did post straight away!! So come on BBC - why do you moderate some but not others?

• 15. At 02:03am on 18 Oct 2009, The_Just_Greg wrote:

I am 100% behind Reubens for the rest of the season. Jenson has simply not been able to compete with the rest of the top guys once they caught up halfway through the season.
    How can anyone say that Jenson has been the most consistant. It has clearly been season of two halfs for him. He got lucky in the beginning of the season in that his car was streaks ahead of the rest.

After todays quali effort Jenson should have taken it on the chin and admitted HE was not good enough in quali. Instead he resorts to putting the blame onto the team. Oh, and a problem he had with the car back in the beginning of the season suddenly reappears three laps in today.

Come on Rubens!

• 16. At 02:12am on 18 Oct 2009, jagtar wrote:

I honestly think that Vettel can win this race...it's not a hard track to overtake on, and if he goes light and gets the jump on Button at the start, especially if Liuzzi has to take the gearbox change elevating Seb to just one place behind Jenson, he can take advantage of what looks like an advantage in the middle sector with the Red Bull...if that doesn't work then we hope Mark wins and Vettel gets a good handful of points with Jenson not scoring, because I really think that Sebastian is a brilliant driver deserving of the championship, but I'd rather Rubens win than Jenson any day...Jenson is not the most deserving driver and it would shut all the fickle people who support him because he's British, up.

• 17. At 02:20am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

Again the whole Jenson got lucky at the start of the season (Post 15)... ahem (6 JB wins) and JB did take it on the chin - Ross Brawn accepted he made the wrong tyre call (for both drivers)... RB just sneaked in 10th (Q2). Again to reiterate - RB will be worthy - provided he ultimatley scores one more point than JB over the whole 17 race season.

• 18. At 02:43am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

Since when did supporting British become fickle? (post 16) - Are you Irish? Welsh? Scottish? (I suspect you are possibly of the gaelic persuasion - therefore being English/British must be bad! and fickle!)

• 19. At 02:45am on 18 Oct 2009, thefrogstar wrote:

alan1970 (#10, 12, 13 and 14),
    to try and answer your "off-topic" question first:

I think that as well as a "swear-checker" they also have a "libel-checker".
    But they won't actually tell you which words you can't use until you fall into the trap, whether you were justified or not. (They won't tell you even then.)
    Even quoting the BBCs own articles by their own journalists won't save you.

It's words like the one that begins with cor- and ends with -ruption that have caught me out.

After that, they (might) then get a real person to look at it.
    But I wonder if, like banks, they farm it out to someone somewhere else in the world, whos' English is not good, and who probably knows nothing about the subject (just like me :)

I also suspect that if you make the mistake more than once or twice, you are then "black-listed", again, without being told).
    I think I ended up being reclassified as a "new member" (after 3 years!). But they don't tell you that either.

Then, of course, the implementation varies from blog-to-blog. The only consistentcy I have found is that when they say a blog is closed during certain hours, then it is.
    Which is a problem if you are not currently in the UK time zone.

You're probably beginning to get the general picture by now.

Trying to get back on topic, am I now too jaded with the F1 spectacle if I am not-at-all-surprised that (Brazilian) Barichello is ended up on pole in the Brazilian Grand-Prix?

I think you can divine my thoughts without the need for any "banned" words.
    Keep the pot-boiling, eh?

• 20. At 03:10am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

thefrogstar!! Finally someone on my wavelength and your comments were succintly put across and graciously appreciated! Yes I agree it has become jaded.. however I'm just a little fed up, that supposedly when/if JB wins title - and it is still a big when/if!! - people are still saying that JB would not be worthy but RB or SB would be! As for the cor - rupt - ion , con -tro - versy or con - spi - racy .... ssshhh!

• 21. At 03:13am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

And yes the above SB should have been SV - as in Vettel - not Buemi (for all you fickle people!!)

• 22. At 03:34am on 18 Oct 2009, apinion wrote:

Well,what a surprise,JB not doing so well? Does this mean it will go down to the wire in Abu Dhabi? Wouldn't that be a nice present for those hosting that race? Naughty cynic.

• 23. At 03:40am on 18 Oct 2009, apinion wrote:

1 2 3 testing, testing. Think I've fallen at the first hurdle.

• 24. At 03:46am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

I would love it to go down to the last race.. exciting is exciting.. I just don't want people to dis JB, if he happpens to win the world title (at Abu Dhabi) by finishing 8th!

• 25. At 03:51am on 18 Oct 2009, apinion wrote:

I'd love JB to win the Championship and he would deserve it as has been explained by others. I'd also be happy for RB to win it because he has for so long been the bridesmaid and I don't mind if SV wins it because I put money on him at the beginning of the season. I just can't lose.

• 26. At 03:53am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

apinion is being checked! why?

• 27. At 03:59am on 18 Oct 2009, apinion wrote:

You can see how jumpy they are. The Beeb need F1 and so must be careful. They don't want to tread on those little toes.

• 28. At 04:06am on 18 Oct 2009, apinion wrote:

6 minutes and counting What's it all about???????

• 29. At 04:06am on 18 Oct 2009, alan1970 wrote:

SV from 16th (or 15th) will struggle to get 1st or 2nd (and most likely he is now out of the championship running); JB just needs to finish in the points to apply some pressure on RB; but great that it is most likely to go down to the last race... GO JB!!!

• 30. At 04:16am on 18 Oct 2009, apinion wrote:

JB or RB is good for me.
    Just one other thing, Jake does his job well as a presenter however, I have no interest in what he gets up to. Why do we have to have "Jake's got his pilots license, Jake's doing up his trousers, Jake's made a pudding" thrown at us. We never had it with Murray. The drivers were the stars not the presenters.

• 31. At 04:21am on 18 Oct 2009, thefrogstar wrote:

Also, alan1970, I suspect (but cannot prove) that other people/companies also change their names and re-post under a different pseudonym. Whether this works, or not, for the same IP-address, I don't know. I've never done it, and am prepared to defend what I've written (even the mistakes :), and my "nom de plume"

But there have to be some controls to keep the boards from filling up with computer-generated spam-attacks. I think delay may be one such, but I'm not technically versed to sure about that.

Back on track, how migh this grid position affect the constructors championship (if at all)?

• 32. At 04:24am on 18 Oct 2009, apinion wrote:

Back to racing. I wouldn't count SV out just yet as unlikely as it seems. They don't know what the weather will do and as we know strange things happen in the wet....and the boy is very good.

• 33. At 05:42am on 18 Oct 2009, BamaF1 wrote:

I'm pulling for Button but I can't understand the self-induced coma he's fallen into. You can't back in to this thing. Obvious observations...but it feels good to type them out!

• 34. At 06:07am on 18 Oct 2009, john stolarczyk wrote:

Why can't the BBC F1 site simply list the qualifying list in words. I do not want to see videos. Most frustrating to simply find the grids positions, having missed seeing the qualifying session.

• 35. At 06:16am on 18 Oct 2009, john stolarczyk wrote:

Why can't the BBC F1 site simply list the REAL qualifying list in words, not fuel adjusted. I do not want to see videos. Most frustrating to simply find the grids positions, having missed seeing the qualifying session.

• 36. At 06:56am on 18 Oct 2009, ButtonFan1967 wrote:

If Jenson can find his 2006 form; 14th on the grid and finished 3rd...

• 37. At 07:19am on 18 Oct 2009, stevefromvirginia wrote:

Button will do okay if:

- no safety car before lap 33,

- stable weather conditions.

- doesn't get hit by Grojean.

Button needs one stop, all the top qualifiers will need two. Button will have a tire advantage as well. Button's closest competitor here is Vettel, with 34 laps to a fuel stop. Button has 32 laps. Vettel is heavier and might not get a good start on Button.

Barricello and Raikonnen have the shortest periods; 20 laps each. As the race wears on, Button and Vettel will be running light while the others are heavy with fuel.

The one stop tactic gave Button an easy 2d @ Italy, no reason why it won't work here. It would have paid off in Singapore except for Sutil's wreck bringing out the safety car.

Let's see what happens after the leaders pit. If Vettel is still behind Button @ lap 22 - 25 and the weather is good, then Button has a good shot at a podium.

As for Button sandbagging his way to a championship; I don't like it, but I can understand.

As for Barrichello, I wish him luck. He's the old guy and I have to root for the old guy. He's a great driver and never had a chance to shine in his prime all those years as second to Schumacher. He's certainly paid his dues and a championship would be well earned.

• 38. At 08:17am on 18 Oct 2009, psychoholica wrote:

I feel rather hostile at the moment towards you Ted Kravitz.

With Q2 red flagged and 12:24 left you send Ted out to interview one of the smartest minds on the pit wall, Christian Horner. Ted tells Christian the the rain delay isnt "entertainment" and that "Yeaaaaahhhh" it's important to the broadcaster to call the session... the broadcaster... to go to what show Ted? A stupid dance show? Are you serious??? Wait, we had already been moved to BBC2 so whats the issue?

Hey Ted,

Some people save up for a year to fly to a race.

Some people would rather spend all day under a grocery bag in order to catch an F1 car in Qualifying trim then watch some dancing show.

Some of us, Ted, don't have a fancy network flying us around to each race.

For some Ted, F1 is worth waiting for.

Sorry today wasn't "entertainment" for some sitting on a hill it was the best day of the year.

• 39. At 08:46am on 18 Oct 2009, SilsonPaul wrote:

Qualifying for Brazil was tense but very, very interseting. We have the BBC team for brilliant improvisation for nearly 2 hours. Congratulations. I learnt a lot about many different aspects of current F1.
    It was the best sports reporting I have seen and heard. Well done the BBC and all those FI people who entered into the entertainment.

• 40. At 08:51am on 18 Oct 2009, Steve wrote:

Psychoholica - I agree entirely (but then I've felt hostile towards Ted Kravitz since he first appeared on ITV)!

Female members of the household, frantic about scheduling were moaning like chubi (think predictive text) -es saying, "but how many people actually watch this?" (meaning the F1).

I told them "millions who would love to be under a poncho watching from a few yards away"!

Personally, the celebreality bore-fest that is the Saturday night so-called "primetime" schedule looks about as appealing as a Papio Anubis' derriere.......but then I'm educated and always mix my Latin and French.....

• 41. At 09:03am on 18 Oct 2009, alex wrote:

im rootin for reubens purely due to the poor sportsmanship of jensons father. the fist pump & wink when vettell never made it into q2 may well have been justified as another challenger to his sons title hopes had gone but to be quite so obvious & it appeared others in the room where clearly embarassed by his lack of class..

the toyota's look in good shape, particularly if the rain falls... i reckon its time for trulli to eventually give a good race performance and push the car to its limit!!

• 42. At 09:11am on 18 Oct 2009, boomshakalak wrote:

The only person who is most deserving to win the championship is the one who has the most points at the end of the season. I don't understand how there can be any further debate???

I am British and it would be nice to see Jenson win but the romantic in me would like to see barrichello win!

But the one who gets the most points will deservedly win!

• 43. At 09:16am on 18 Oct 2009, SJLOWE wrote:

Two seasons ago I enjoyed watching F1. Now I hardly bother to watch the race. I haven't done the analysis but it seems the result is determined by qualifying and whoever is on the front row wins. The race is just a procession of cars on the track with the only changes of order being the result of pit stops. How boring is that!

Maye F1 has become radio sport not a television one ...

• 44. At 09:41am on 18 Oct 2009, megajc2222 wrote:

Come on kimi.rubens make sure you keep the championship going to abu dhabi

• 45. At 09:41am on 18 Oct 2009, Ryushinku wrote:

I really hope Rubens wins and Button doesn't make up the points he needs to still clinch (or virtually clinch) the championship.

For the sake of an entertaining finale. For the sake of a quality guy like Rubens, in front of his home fans. For the sake of Button having the opportunity in Abu Dhabi to show that 'champions drive' when all the pressure is on, instead of eeking it out.

• 46. At 09:44am on 18 Oct 2009, paulgreen1944 wrote:

I am British all the way through but Rubens has always been the true gentleman and I hope he wins especially on his home turf. I have never rated Jenson as an agressive driver so if he doesn't pull it off it will be his fault.

• 47. At 10:00am on 18 Oct 2009, Davey Bones wrote:

As a Brit I would like to see a British winner but there is no way Button deserves to win the title. He has shown that he is gutless and inept as soon as the pressure is on. He had a great start because of the advantage the car had but now that's gone he's been embarrassing to watch.

• 48. At 10:41am on 18 Oct 2009, steve4fluff wrote:

I am torn

Jenson Button clearly deserves the championship this year. He didn't just have the best car in the first half of the season, his driving was sublime.

Had the Malaysian Grand Prix been allowed to go to full distance Button would certainly have gained 10 points instead of the 5 he actually got (he was 22 seconds clear when the race was stopped, and he was just about the only driver who hadn't made a single mistake all race). So, Vettel would already be out of the Championship (he spun out in Malaysia), and the gap between Button and Barichello would be even greater than it is now (Rubinho was 47 seconds behind Jenson in 5th when the race was stopped).

Rubens Barichello clearly deserves a championship based on his career in F1.

The problem for me is that I want to see both of them win.

I definitely want to see Rubens get the win he so richly deserves in front of his home crowd, and I wouldn't be crestfallen if he took the Championship in Abu Dhabi. However, I'd prefer it if Jenson ended up as World Champion ... and if he did it today from 14th on the Grid that ought to shut up some of the people whining about his mid-season results.

• 49. At 10:45am on 18 Oct 2009, FastBBBB wrote:

If anything happens to RB then he has to finish fourth and with his history here it's not going to b easy

• 50. At 10:48am on 18 Oct 2009, 26sw905 wrote:

Good luck to Rubens for the brazillian GP , but i dont agree what his race engineer said to him after he'd qualified on pole , "sebastian vettel , jenson button where are they now?" isn't this buttons team also?what an absolute disgrace the brawn team are becoming ,they support jenson to win 6 times earlier in the season then literally dump him and support his team mate for the 2nd half of the season , they both have the same equiptment and Barrichello usually does the car set ups according to the BBC commentary team so why is Button back in 14th ? why didn't Ross Brawn call him in for the intermeidiate tyre when it was clear it was the tyre to be on for Q2. I know it's usually the drivers call for the right tyres but the team have more data currently than the driver can see , so ROSS BRAWN why didnt you call Jenson in for the right tyres when you could plainly see it WAS the tyre to be on??

• 51. At 10:53am on 18 Oct 2009, rhysdan wrote:

To be honest this year has been a freak year, who ever wins it they will deserve it but I think we all know that Jenson, Rubens and Webber are not in the same group of top drivers e.g Alonso, Kimi, Hamilton and fast joining this group Vettel. If they were they would be looking for a top team for next year. If Jenson is that good he would tell brawn to stick there offer and go to McLaren and then we would find out how good he was.

• 52. At 10:53am on 18 Oct 2009, KingCelticLion wrote:

Moderation

We have been informed by a researcher that the BBC Newsnight blogs are moderated by a company external to the BBC.

Though supporting Button but also the Brawn team as a whole at the start of the season, being an engineer and having done a small amount of work on rally cars, my respect was more towards Ross Brawn.

I agree with posters who cite the start of season diffuser advantage, but now though British have to support Rubens Barrichello, as I consider he has got more out of the car, as with the season's progression more cars/manufacturers have become equal in performance.

Obejectively he who gets the most points will win, as others have previously correctly commented.

Celtic Lion

• 53. At 10:55am on 18 Oct 2009, robmadeley wrote:

ive read most of the posts here which seem to suggest that they want rubens to win the race. webber is in a good posistion. but no one has mentioned sutil in the force india. fuel adjusted he can go three laps longer than rubens and a lap longer than webber. and ive seen sutil race in wet conditions before and he is supreme. dont be suprised if he is up there come the end of the race.

• 54. At 11:08am on 18 Oct 2009, Stargazer wrote:

As an incurable romantic, I would like to see Adrian Sutil win in the Force India. I would also like to see Vettel and Hamilton show that they really are great drivers by carving through the field from the back.

Having a "wet and dry" race would also test drivers and their acumen to the limits, which is always preferable to seeing the best car win irrespective of who is driving it.

• 55. At 11:09am on 18 Oct 2009, 26sw905 wrote:

lets also not forget all you bloggers out there that Jenson Button has been the most consistent driver all season scoring in all races bar 1

• 56. At 11:22am on 18 Oct 2009, Lord_Lancashire wrote:

What I would love to see is for Rubens to win his home Grand Prix finally after years and years of disappointment at Interlagos.

If Button fails to score well, that would mean a terrific title showdown at Abu Dhabi. That would be simply wonderful and a dream end to the 2009 season!

• 57. At 11:23am on 18 Oct 2009, Richard wrote:

"I am sorry but Jenson will be no worthy World Champion. A true world champion is able to perform under extreme pressure. Jenson clearly can't do this."

The worthy world champion is the chap who finishes with the most points. Jenson messed it up yesterday. He's been driving conservatively which is the right thing to do when you're in front.

All this nonsense about not deserving it is written by people who don't understand how to win the world championship.

• 58. At 11:28am on 18 Oct 2009, Guildfordbluebird wrote:

Bernie will probably be delighted with the likely showdown in abu dabi. However had the proposed change on the points system come into place then Button would have secured the championship a couple of races ago by virture of his six wins. Therefore if Rubens wins I wonder whether there will be the same conservations regarding changing the points system? As it is clear that the current points system provides much greater excitement???

• 59. At 11:29am on 18 Oct 2009, neverspeakbadly wrote:

I would like to comment on the appalling behaviour of the BBC commentary team who were convinced that the qualification sessions were being run for their (and our) benefit. They continually argued for the qualifying to be called off just because it was messing up their schedules and additionally it suited Jenson. The comment from one of their interviewees put them in their place. "We have all afternoon to get this done". And they quite rightly did it.

• 60. At 11:44am on 18 Oct 2009, Camilla wrote:

clearly Button has a lot of work to do today and i think if he gets a good start and he drives his heart out, he might get jn the points. I would love him to clinch the title this weekend but if it goes down to the last race, it would be a fitting finale. I have backed jenson all the way and he has been consisted with 6 wins. Come on jenson!!

• 61. At 11:50am on 18 Oct 2009, Stargazer wrote:

Guilfordbluebird, the reason for changing to a medal system was "to have drivers racing to win until the very last race of the season and to avoid drivers cruising conservatively to the title".

Enough said, really. This season has demonstrated the scenario that fans had, almost without exception, seen (but somehow not Bernie Ecclestone): someone wins 4, 5, 6 races early in the season... title decided, thanks very much and the rest of the season becomes irrelevant.

Unfortunately, the medal system would only work in a highly competative system with two or three drivers going toe-to-toe, when it would not be needed anyway because the rivals would be racing to win until the end anyway!

• 62. At 11:59am on 18 Oct 2009, tpott55 wrote:

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say 1st Sutil 2nd Hamilton 3rd Vettel................

• 63. At 11:59am on 18 Oct 2009, LordWoz wrote:

I hope that Rubens can win the race. Having said that it looks like Mark can win.

Seb will find it very hard to win from there.... no one has said that Jenson will win and he is ahead of Seb.

• 64. At 12:07pm on 18 Oct 2009, gj1962 wrote:

It's interesting to note that people are saying Button is an undeserving champion because he hasn't performed as well as in the first seven races. However, Button's performances dipped immediately "upgrades" were added to the car. Conversely Barichello's performances have improved slightly.

This implies that the car's design was more suited to Button's style of driving in the first half of the season and more suited to Barichello (e.g. brakes) in the second half.

Despite this Button has managed to maintain his lead over Barichello.

• 65. At 12:36pm on 18 Oct 2009, RubberGoat wrote:

Hey guys,

I have also blogged about the fuel-adjusted grid on my F1 blog called "Making Up The Numbers" - if you want to see the fuel corrected times and first stints with some helpful graphs (as a picture tells a thousand words), take a look at my post:

• 66. At 12:40pm on 18 Oct 2009, Andrew Benson wrote:

Re post 5. Not quite sure what you're getting at - the relative gaps are on this page and the real ones are both hyperlinked out of this blog, and here on our results pages: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/7921120.stm

• 67. At 12:48pm on 18 Oct 2009, megajc2222 wrote:

50)26sw905i totally with agree with you about jock clears coments.they were spiteful and those sort of coments are not acceptable anyone else agree?

• 68. At 12:50pm on 18 Oct 2009, alcoholicmonkey wrote:

This feels odd as a British supporter but I want Barrichello to win the title.

He really is a gentleman and frankly the fact he was able to pull off a P1 whilst his team mate languished in P14 says a lot about his skill and experience.

For too long he's been the number 2 driver. Time for change...

• 69. At 12:56pm on 18 Oct 2009, Rick wrote:

Button will need to make the jump on Grosjean at the start for any chance of points (assuming it will be a dry race). However, im sure he will be really cautious going into the first corner with Vettel and both Mclaren's with there KERS behind him.

If worst comes to worst Button could be around the first corner in 17th/18th.

• 70. At 1:00pm on 18 Oct 2009, rollanumber97 wrote:

i'm a total neutral in dis particular tital race but i'm sick of people sayin jenson doesnt deserve it because he hasnt won a race since june. what difference does it make when u win the races as long as u win them? under bernie ecclestones proposed new points/medals system jenson wud b world champion anyway! in saying dat, it would b nice to see rubens winning a world championship at dat stage of his career altho he had ample opportunity when he was driving the all conquering ferrari. unfortunately for him he just wasnt in the same league as his team mate back then, but nobody was really. i do believe tho dat this is probably the one and only chance either of these drivers have of winning a world title because there is no way dat mclaren and ferrari wont b at the sharp end of the grid from day one next season and ude imagine dat lewis and fernando will b battling it out for the title.

• 71. At 1:17pm on 18 Oct 2009, Flux Redux wrote:

@70. At 1:00pm on 18 Oct 2009, rollanumber97

Although I agree with your spieling, I feel your spelling does the sentiment a disservice.

• 72. At 1:32pm on 18 Oct 2009, Vigneronne wrote:

Yo-Yo, have you got a translation of rollabouts post? I put it through Babelfish but it couldn't make head nor tails of it.

And back to the matter in hand, I fear Rubens will blow it in Brazil, it's not his luckiest of circuits is it? I expect both Jenson and Vettel to score but the championship will go to Jenson today. As for comments that Rubems deserves it more what can I say? Oh yes, he hasn't won as many races as Jenson, who has won more this season than Lewis did last season!

• 73. At 1:53pm on 18 Oct 2009, nibs wrote:

• 74. At 2:19pm on 18 Oct 2009, tbrown2892 wrote:

I wish folks would stop all this silly Button bashing. It seems to be a fashion to knock anyone who's British and great at the moment! Button is a class act and needs to be given a break!

• 75. At 2:26pm on 18 Oct 2009, Jon wrote:

• 76. At 2:33pm on 18 Oct 2009, Gavelaa wrote:

• 77. At 2:34pm on 18 Oct 2009, Highlander wrote:

I find the charts and tables on this site quite useful.
    Very clear and easy to read.

• 78. At 2:53pm on 18 Oct 2009, Hi0lvr wrote:

Rubinio -- oldest man behind the wheel of an F1 carand still has the fire in his belly to win not just his home race but the championship ..He deserves it more than Button, ruben's always played second fiddle now it's his time to be the Organ grinder & not the monkey .. Button to finish outside top ten Vettel to finish 2nd/3rd Rubinio For Win . roll on tea time

• 79. At 2:54pm on 18 Oct 2009, Francis46 wrote:

The driver with the most points at the end of the season is champion. Whether one driver is perceived to be more deserving than the next is of little consequence. For instance, in my opinion, Raikonnen was not particularly deserving of his world championship a couple of years ago as he didn't really win it, it was more a case of both Alonso and Hamilton losing it. It does not make a difference to the record books though.

• 80. At 2:55pm on 18 Oct 2009, nibs wrote:

• 81. At 3:03pm on 18 Oct 2009, -SAVE 606-Blueboyrob wrote:

Obviously conditions yesterday were horrific, but if they imrpve, even if only slightly, Button is by far a good enough wet driver to push himself into a points position, therefore making next week easier.
    However it is going to be a lot tighter than Button would like, and a lot tighter than anyone expected after 5 weeks of the championship.

• 82. At 3:12pm on 18 Oct 2009, FoxesofNuneaton wrote:

There seems to be a doom momgering on this blogs and 606.
    Geez, why be so down about Button's chances and claim Rubens has won the title.
    Bearing in mind how bad the weather is looking for race day, anthing is possible but I would want Button to win the title because he has been more consistent in points as David Croft pointed out in Saturday's pratice and that he won 6 races...more than anyone else has.

• 83. At 3:22pm on 18 Oct 2009, ctb_uk wrote:

As an aside is the clock on BBC F1 Homepage wrong? At 3:22PM it's saying the start is in 2 hours 38 minutes. Surely there's only 1:38 to go?

• 84. At 3:25pm on 18 Oct 2009, tailchase wrote:

Imagine a very heavy rain affected race and the potential for a race being stopped as with the last half points awarded grand prix earlier in the season! Unless Reubens is winning at that point then he would not be able to catch Jenson at all even if he won the last race.

• 85. At 4:04pm on 18 Oct 2009, paulsf1fix wrote:

Rubens can win if Jenson wins the title!! I'd like to see Jenson win the title I've followed his career since he tested for Williams, as for Rubens he's a lovely bloke so if Jenson can't win the title for whatever the reason I' happy for Barrichello to win it!!

• 86. At 4:31pm on 18 Oct 2009, HelenGrieve wrote:

As Nikki Lauda said, he once won a championship by half a point - does that make him unworthy of winning it?
    Come on, JB!

• 87. At 4:39pm on 18 Oct 2009, Tim wrote:

I really hope it rains like in qualifying. That was fun.

• 88. At 7:50pm on 18 Oct 2009, *Bear* wrote:

Well, well, well...to all you fools (especially English ones) who thought Button would be an undeserved champion. He is now. So tough. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

• 89. At 00:58am on 19 Oct 2009, tbrown2892 wrote:

Fab race! Fab Champion! Fab team! As per my earlier comment, Button deserves every ounce of praise. Makes me proud to be English!

• 90. At 7:33pm on 24 Oct 2009, doctorspike666 wrote:

greetings again fellow f1 fans,well what a weekeend,first,well done button/brawn,what a great drive from jenson,the drive of a champion,did what he had to do,in a carm,effective,manner,a typical ross brawn plan from the old days,it was touching to see the master(ross brawn)getting choked up by what had just happened,a new team winning the title,he's going down in f1 history as far as i am concerned(as no doubt you too,nxt off to the lovey hot desert,just right for the brawns with their fickle tyre temp problem,with everthing done and dusted,apart from the miner places,not my words,mr shumacher,s. the team lets rubens tru to clinch 2nd,a perfect finish,ha,ha,see u in dubai.