Chris Collins shows how to set up a wormery

Chris Collins Chris Collins | 14:56 UK time, Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Hi all, worms are essential for any garden. Paddy is asking how worms can help in his garden. Well, the easiest way is to get a wormery. There are lots of different sorts available and anyone buying one should follow the instructions that come with it. Or you can watch my video below to see how to set one up. If you have any other seasonal questions, send them in using the Q&A form.

Dig In grower Paddy asks: "How do you set up a wormery?"

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions

Comments

• 1. At 9:32pm on 08 Jul 2010, lynne wrote:

Thought this video a great idea. I was a bit disappointed as very speedy and no tips on making your own.

• 2. At 9:54pm on 08 Jul 2010, jan barwick wrote:

I thought this video was most unsatisfactory. Like Lynne, I would have liked information on making my own wormery (hinted at - no explanation); there was no detail about what 'worm food' was; why was one supposed to allow a month to elapse before putting in the worms? I didn't find letting them 'settle in' a satisfactory explanation; how do the other layers of the wormery relate to the first, and when do you set them up? Again, no explanation. It left more questions to be asked than answered. (And by the way, if you have your own compost heap, tiger worms very quickly move in to colonise it, so you wouldn't need to buy them.)

• 3. At 10:48pm on 08 Jul 2010, caroline wrote:

The presenter Chris Collins said he would show us how to make a wormery. All he did was prepare some plastic trays that he had bought. He did say we could make our own wormery didn't he? that is the information I think viewers want. plus I agree with everything Lynne and Jan said plus, as I know nothing about worms, are Tiger worms native worms?

• 4. At 11:01am on 09 Jul 2010, jazcaz wrote:

i have recently started a wormery but it is now infested with those little flies, a bit like fruit flies, any advice to get rid of them and what should i do different ta jazcaz

• 5. At 11:04am on 09 Jul 2010, jazcaz wrote:

this year it has been the first time we have grown potatoes in a tub...we had a good crop when we emptied them out yesterday. However, surprisingly the seed potato that we used looks the same as when we first put it in....is this normal and can we use them again??

• 6. At 1:42pm on 09 Jul 2010, Joolsbell wrote:

On a related subject, we live in a glen in Angus, at the foothils of the Grampians really, and we have never seen any worms in our gsrden, even before we got our chickens. There's not much topsoil, although we can grow a reasonable range of things, but any potatoes and carrots do better in deep containers. Surely we must have SOME worms??

• 7. At 7:54pm on 09 Jul 2010, kah Reyd wrote:

I have watched these videos before and was very disappointed because I wanted to make a wormery myself!, and they never really told me how to do it, as my ethos towards my allotment, and garden is, lets recycle and make as much as I can and keep the costs down, so I built a wormery using two wooden frame layers with wire netting over the bottoms, and over this past year the worms have found their way to it, the little fruit fies disappeared, and the worms have down some good work with the kichen waste, however I need to make a third layer when I have time, as I think it would work allot better.

• 8. At 9:39pm on 09 Jul 2010, Paul wrote:

There are a number of videos on utube eg there is one in 4 parts on setting up and using can o worms.

Haven't got round to getting a wormery yet - are there any reviews anywhere which sets out which makes are best?

Is ok to leave the wormery outside overwinter as I don't have a shed and don't want to bring it inside the house.

• 9. At 11:14am on 10 Jul 2010, Melinda_que_linda wrote:

What a pointless video from a usually informative gardener.

Explaining what a wormery is, is not the same as explaining how to make one!

For example:-

What if any is the advantage over a regular compost bin?
    Are Tiger worms the same as the little red ones you get in your compost bin?

I've learned more from the comments than from the useless video.

Time for a re-shoot.

• 10. At 7:33pm on 10 Jul 2010, liberal2 wrote:

Before I read the comments on the wormery video I'd had the same thoughts. Was the title wrong, as I expected to be shown how to make a wormery rather than buy it, or was our expectation too much.

Disappointing.

• 11. At 6:06pm on 24 Jul 2010, nature-lover1 wrote:

I have tried these plastic wormeries with their leachate liquid food!

I now use an FSC wooden wormery called the wastebuster from..

www.nurturing-nature.co.uk

It has a window in it to view the little darlings and as those trays can be heavy to life, it has a nifty riddler to riddle the compost into trays below!!

That video was poor.

• 12. At 6:08pm on 24 Jul 2010, nature-lover1 wrote:

There is a book written specifically for UK wormeries called "Composting with worms. Why waste your waste?".

Available from Amazon it should answer most of these questions and more.