Chris Collins shows how to support growing beans

Chris Collins Chris Collins | 17:10 UK time, Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Hi all, I hope you're all remembering to water your veg loads in this sunny weather. Watch my short video below for tips on using supports for your Dig In beans. If you have any other questions, send me them using the Q&A form.

Dig In grower Paul from Nottingham asks: "Can I grow French beans the same way as runner beans?"

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions

Comments

• 1. At 01:05am on 28 May 2010, bbd137 wrote:

I have just watched the video regarding climbing French beans. I have never had to tie in climbing French beans. They have this wonderful way of twining themselves around bamboo canes. By the way the bean seeds I received from Dig in were not very successful - only 4 germinated and three of these were eaten by snails. Perhaps eggshells are the answer but the little blue pills work very well even if I do have to pay for them. I have since successfully germinated Blue Lake beans from another source with 85% germination and these were free as well - saved from last year's crop.

• 2. At 09:25am on 28 May 2010, heyhomaggie wrote:

I found the Dig In seeds germinated well. My comment is that I live in an area with bad broadband reception so can't play the videos {perhaps you London people think everyone in Britain have broadband speeds of 2 or above - a lot of us only have a quarter of this!). Would it be possible to put the transcript of any videos on the appropriate web page? I would love to know how to tie my beans up!!!!

• 3. At 10:04am on 30 May 2010, Annetony wrote:

On the matter of communications here, why not a PDF file that is a part work, for us to collect, and refer back to, at our leisure.

Any thing else seems too dependent on reception levels/speeds, and these would make a nice "e-book" as a result, when all collected together, along with past hints and tips from earlier editions of BBC, progs of this nature ( sorry, but I get overcome by the opportunity to pun, every once in a while ) add a printable version, of "data cards" and we can really get this moving forwards for all who log on, surely ?

A little more imagination here, please.....

• 4. At 10:54pm on 05 Jun 2010, Rachel wrote:

I planted my french beans as the packet said but not one has come up, am I to late to try again, also the cuecumbers I planted came up really well, but once I potted them on the slugs ate the lot, can I still put in seeds and what can I do to stop the slugs - this is in the greenhouse? Thanks for any advise you may give.

• 5. At 8:14pm on 06 Jun 2010, wellfs wrote:

I too have had little success with the french beans - planted them all and I have 3 that have come up

• 6. At 12:23pm on 12 Jun 2010, Wendysmum14 wrote:

My seeds germinated brilliantly. I planted all, 11 took and I ended up giving some plants away to neighbours. Our street will be eating beans until they come out of our ears!