A Quick Message from the End of the World...

Mark Beaumont Mark Beaumont | 15:25 UK time, Thursday, 18 February 2010

I have made it to Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego! I think the records will show that I have been on the road from Anchorage, Alaska for 268 days, pedalled 13,080 miles through 12 countries and reached the summit of highest peaks in the north and south of the Americas. This isn't another world record, but it is a world first, as far as I know!

the_end.jpg

End of the road!

I'm ecstatic to be here, it has been my dream and focus for so long - but also a small part of me is sad that the simple but tough life of bike and camera has come to an end, again, at least for now!

Most of all I am looking forward to seeing friends and family who I haven't seen since last May and getting to see the documentary which I have been filming all along!

This journey has been so different than cycling around the world. I have gone at a pace which has allowed me to experience the world I was passing, and the scale of the online blogging has transformed the whole experience for me.

map_final.jpg

Mark's live tracker feed to the finish line in Ushuaia, Argentina

I would like to thank everyone who has been following and especially those who have commented and contributed regularly. It's a very unique journey that we have completed together, not only in the sense of the expedition, but because of the online community which has built up to be a part of the almost real time documentary - this is the future!

I will post more when I have caught my breath and maybe had a shower but just wanted to let you know all is well from the finish and to send my thanks for all your support!

Comments

• 1. At 3:43pm on 18 Feb 2010, Tom K-W wrote:

Fantastic effort Mark - well done. We all knew you could do it!

• 2. At 3:53pm on 18 Feb 2010, snaphappy wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

snap1

• 3. At 3:55pm on 18 Feb 2010, Juan Kerr wrote:

Congratulations for all you have done, it's an amazing and quite unique achievement. As well as this you've kept all of us followers entertained with your stories, pictures, clips and tweets from start to finish which in itself must have been tricky at times.

Well done again and looking forward to your next journey!

• 4. At 4:08pm on 18 Feb 2010, Englandblog wrote:

Well Done! on yet another epic journey. Please shave the beard off now Mark, seen enough lol! Glad to see your safe. Anyone at the finish line to welcome you? The tweets were only 95 when you started last year now reaching almost 500...

• 5. At 4:37pm on 18 Feb 2010, Gayle wrote:

Well done Mark! Congratulations from all here at JLA. Best wishes, Gayle

• 6. At 4:45pm on 18 Feb 2010, valvannet wrote:

Many many congratulations on your achievement, Mark. It has been a huge privilege to follow you on another inspiring journey. I have enjoyed every turn of the pedal. Well done also to the BBC team who have taken on-line documentary to another dimension. I will miss my daily dose of escapism!

• 7. At 4:47pm on 18 Feb 2010, onmyiPad wrote:

Followed you all the way from Alaska, fantastic stuff, enjoy your rest and you should be very proud of yourself. I actually got a wee bit emotional with your "made it" tweet.

Outstanding!
    Al in Edinburgh.

• 8. At 5:09pm on 18 Feb 2010, Geophobe wrote:

Congratulations Mark, but I think you may not be the first to make this journey. Have you read Cris Osborn's book, published in September 1989, "A Gringo's Journey: The Story of an Extraordinary Bicycle Journey from North America to Southern Chile". He tells of several other long distance cyclists who he met along the way. Whilst he didn't start in Anchorage, his journey was perhaps more impressive for being a wholly improvised and ad-hoc adventure.

• 9. At 5:15pm on 18 Feb 2010, geegeedee wrote:

Congratulations Mark and all the rest of the back up team.
    It has been marvellous being able to follow your epic journey on the web and seeing all the photos you've posted. I'm looking forward very much to the docs on BBC and I hope I can attend at one of the tour venues to hear about it all again, this time in person!
    Well done, enjoy the moment, eat and sleep well and stay safe.
    George.

• 10. At 5:27pm on 18 Feb 2010, Brendanbuzz wrote:

Congratulations Mark , but what a tragedy that you missed Colombia! The most beautiful and friendly county in South America. Colombia is also cycling mad and you would have had the most wonderful experience cycling here. Please make amends and one come back to cycle in Colombia; don't believe the hype Mexico and the USA are more dangerous than Colombia and many other cyclists pass through Colombia. Sorry to rain on your parade abut I am astonished you passed us by and until you have been though Colombia you have can not really say you have cycled the Americas.
    Well done mate.

• 11. At 6:54pm on 18 Feb 2010, patagoniaBC wrote:

Many Congratulations Mark
    Have just heard of your efforts. Sorry Ciencias y Artes Patagonia (CAPat)missed you when you passed Puerto Madryn near Trelew.
    Before you leave Ushuaia try and visit the fascinating Prison Museum where there is a tribute to a fellow Scot - the distinguished Scottish Antarctic Explorer William Bruce, who deserved the Polar Medal but never received it, even posthumously.

• 12. At 8:04pm on 18 Feb 2010, Towcester Tearooms wrote:

Mark
    We have followed you for 9 mths now through Twitter, the world wide web and radio 1 coverage. Through xmas day, news years eve, the wind, the highs and lows - a great example of the human ability to simply move on through all kinds of challenges & adversity.

Congratulations from all at Towcester Tearooms. Looking forward to seeing the footage on BBC in March.

Tony & Sharon

• 13. At 9:01pm on 18 Feb 2010, David Piper wrote:

Epic. Well done and thank you for such inspiration and entertainment.

By the way, Alastair Humphreys is organising a get together of round the world cycle tourists on Tuesday, March 9th on the top floor of the Iron Duke Pub in Victoria Station, from 6:30pm until about 9pm, so it would be great if you could make it

• 14. At 10:14pm on 18 Feb 2010, Jamie Tabb wrote:

Congratulations Mark. What an Epic Achievement! Cannot wait for the docs to come out. And to follow you on your next adventure. (Although I guess I'm looking too far ahead for that one)

• 15. At 10:22pm on 18 Feb 2010, elorp wrote:

Well done, but it appears from your map that you didn't cycle through Colombia. Surely this can't be right - your claim to have 'Cycled the Americas' would be nonsense if this were true. I mean, the Darien Gap would be the whole point of such a trip, no?

• 16. At 04:30am on 19 Feb 2010, dennisjunior1 wrote:

Congrats, Mark....

(Dennis Junior)

• 17. At 4:05pm on 19 Feb 2010, metalmikeonhisbike wrote:

Congratulations mark, really weel done. Has been great following your adventure these last few months,inspiring, informative and entertaining. Looking forward to seeing the docs next month, and hopefully reading the book if you do it.

Until the next time.

Mike

• 18. At 9:01pm on 19 Feb 2010, frank crombie wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Mark i am sure a lot of people are so proud of you espesially your mum i am glad to hear that you have now become a mountaineer. so lets give the bike a rest and get your climbing boots on. we just want you to know that the crombie family were behind you all the way and we have been on your website everynight for the last 9 months. GO ON MARK!!!!

• 19. At 12:38pm on 20 Feb 2010, clanmcintosh wrote:

Congratulations Mark! Brilliant to see you achieve your dreams like this - an inspiration to many!

This site and all the media has been brilliant and made it easy to keep up with your progress - my thanks to the team behind it.

Really looking forward to the documentary.

With all that time to think I bet you have a good idea what you will attempt next and I wish you the best of luck with whatever it is! :)

• 20. At 08:50am on 23 Mar 2010, patmccarthy wrote:

Brilliant achievement but unfortunately I don`t think it is a first. I met a Swedish guy in Southern Chile near the Moreno Glacier during January 1998 who had cycled there from Alaska. I spent all day with him & from what he told me I have no doubt his claim was true. I assume he made it to Ushuaia.

• 21. At 11:43pm on 26 Mar 2010, Dan wrote:

Well done Mark, this latest expedition is an incredible achievement
    I've only managed to watch about half of the first episode but was wondering whether you had any tips on doing the John O Groats to Lands End Cycle ? - wikapedia pointed out that you did the trip only aged 15!

• 22. At 2:33pm on 07 Apr 2010, anthony_riley wrote:

Wow. i am lost for words. your achievement is inspiring in so many ways.

keep up the hard work and dedication and mankind will progress in the right direction.

what does the next expedition have in store?

• 23. At 11:06pm on 08 Apr 2010, roger wrote:

Congratulations Mark what an achievement, really enjoyed following your adventure and dream of doing the same, but unklikely.

• 24. At 8:58pm on 12 Apr 2010, Anthony wrote:

I was enthralled from start to finish. Your attitude was nothing short of inspirational mate! Well done you :)