BBC Online Industry Briefing: Evolution of iPlayer
Daniel Danker gave this presentation on TV iPlayer to the June 17 BBC Online Industry Briefing.
Daniel described how changes in audience and technology are affecting online video, and how the BBC will respond. For example, on-demand viewing usually peaks at the end of the day, when viewers catch up on shows they missed. But BBC iPlayer is used on tablet devices a the same times of day as live viewing - as if tablets are becoming personal TVs.
He took questions from:
- Robert Morgan from Magic Lantern on the Wii U
- Owen Wallis from Less Rain asking if the BBC will release the iPlayer client for others to use
- Neil Robinson of IPC about how indies could sell the same content to BBC Online and syndicate it to other publishers (eg abroad)
- Chris Jackson of Metabroadcast on sharing metadata with ITV and C4
- Andrew Bairds of Testronic about the timescale for this evolution
Daniel Danker is General Manager, Programmes and On Demand.