End of week one...

Stephen Moss | 10:12 UK time, Thursday, 30 October 2008

It's Thursday morning, and in what seems like a blink of an eye, we are almost halfway through our current run of Autumnwatch. Already we've seen some truly astonishing sights - Gordon's baby seal pup braving the waves, Simon playing the guitar (and showing us some fabulous secrets about Fallow Deer and Muntjac), and Bill and Kate's red squirrel assault course.

Tonight Simon will be back in Birmingham in search of another elusive mammal - the urban Otter. Simon knows more about tracking Otters than almost anyone, so hopefully he will at least be able to prove their presence, and maybe even find one during the live show.

Kate goes out to watch the Sika Deer on Brownsea, while Bill looks at one of the island's newer residents - the beautiful little egret. And of course Gordon and his team are still on the Farnes braving the elements along with those feisty little seal pups.

A|nd don;t forget there are lots of events you can do this weekend - as well as a wealth of autum,n wildlife to go and see - check out Breathing Places for details of things to do near where you live.

Oh - and as you saw on Wednesday night, Bill and Kate are being well fed!

Comments

• 1. At 3:56pm on 30 Oct 2008, hodgehegwatcher wrote:

Yeah its gone really quickly!
    Please can you fill me in on what happened last night because i missed it. (sad face)
    Looking forward to tonights episode!

• 2. At 6:35pm on 30 Oct 2008, skinnydoreen wrote:

we have a male and female living at the bottom of our garden .In the summer we noticed that the female looked big. we now have a mum,dad, and a baby.We live in High wycombe buck's .....

• 3. At 9:11pm on 30 Oct 2008, smartGid wrote:

We have Muntjacs visiting our backgarden all year round at dusk and dawn, they follow the same path each time eating the same flowers/plants. one male and one female and recently a baby. They don't mind too much if we are in the garden at the time they are as long as we don't get too close. I live on the edge of Coventry near Kenilworth by Crackley Wood.

• 4. At 9:12pm on 30 Oct 2008, PhilinWales wrote:

It would be great if the programme could do an item on how to rig a camera in a birdbox. I guess this time is when we should be planning for bird arrivals in the new year. It isn't that easy to get round problems like camera noise, minimum focus, lighting(?), being able to adjust the shot and fix problems without disturbing the inhabitants etc. All this is obviously available knowledge from the crew. How about it please?

• 5. At 9:20pm on 30 Oct 2008, theclarkfamily wrote:

Tonight we saw Bill talking about Little Egret but the film footage showed birds with gray legs and feet , I thought little Egrets had gray legs and yellow feet . We live on Hayling Island and I've been watching what I thought were Little Egrets for years ,am I wrong ? what have I been watching?

• 6. At 9:30pm on 30 Oct 2008, sampark27 wrote:

I can't beleive it is the end of week already, I've really enjoyed every minute of it and haven't missed one yet. It's a shame it isn't on during the weekend as I love it so much. Are you going to do a nightwatch this time?or is it too late?

• 7. At 12:06pm on 31 Oct 2008, justpie wrote:

Last night left me with such a wonderful feel good factor. I was fascinated by Bills report on pishing the Dartford Warbler.
    This is my bogey bird having spent several hours hanging around gorse bushes at Kenfig without success.
    I'm off pishing this weekend!
    Stay warm folks!

• 8. At 3:30pm on 31 Oct 2008, SNOOKERTHISTLE wrote:

dear bill n kate. eagrets, storks, nesting in england? what about EAGLE OWLS? THEY SURELY DESERVE A MENSION ON :AUTUMN WATCH: 7 PAIRS APPARENTLY IN ENGLAND, CAN YOU SHED MORE LIGHT AND INFO. ON YOUR PROGRAM? YOURS THISTLE THE TWITCHER...

• 9. At 11:04am on 01 Nov 2008, invisiblewildlifewiz wrote:

Please could you tell me Is it early for our hedgehogs to have hibernated? Will they reappear if it warms up? Thanks invisiblewildlifewiz

• 10. At 12:10pm on 01 Nov 2008, redgingerbarry wrote:

I loved the red squirrel assault course piece.
    You can see similar and much more in my animated film about Brownsea\Sanctuary island,its red squirrels and their adventures on the Grey Britain mainland as my heroes Red and Ginger(yes Red not Fred) try and make their way up to Scotland and safety using all of their island-learnt scout\guide skills plus their own free-running and martial talents too.
    Check out the filmscript\pix of the characters \a you tube very rough version and loads more at redandginger.com.-author email address on there.
    Bill n Kate-I'm available 4 link-up all 2nd week \could come down on Wed 5th Nov.
    Just checked these dates on my calendar-the November page has got a red squirrel on it !!!!-hope this is fate

• 11. At 3:41pm on 01 Nov 2008, markpepper wrote:

Question more than a comment; has anyone heard of the White bats of brownsea? Also, how do I get a smock, like the one Simon was wearing when he was tracking down otters in Birmingham; it looks like an ideal piece of kit.

• 12. At 10:22am on 03 Nov 2008, stargrandwelshwizard wrote:

we have just returned from pentewan just down the road from heligan.whilst there we walked along the beach in the dark and saw tiny pinpricks of a green phosphorescent light in the surf and left behind on the sand as the wave retreated ,on occasions singly and then many together . Both my daughter and I are biologists but have not encountered this before.My husband who used to fish off pentewan beach says he has seen this many times and in greater numbers than we did this week. Any ideas what the lights could be? There was no light to account for this being a reflection not even moonlight as we had some poor weather.

• 13. At 10:56am on 03 Nov 2008, agarnooker wrote:

On sunday there was a very good programme about the new forest, which was filmed in 2006! There were pictures very similar to those seen by yourselves on a recent trip there. It was a Great Grey Shrike plus a Hen Harrier. Have the same birds returned to the same place perhaps?

• 14. At 10:43pm on 04 Nov 2008, larry4907 wrote:

Plenty of Muntjacs seen in Broxbourne Woods, Newgate Street Village and surrounding areas. All in East Hertfordshire.

• 15. At 11:48am on 05 Nov 2008, brianbicester wrote:

Regarding muntjacs, we saw two about a mile apart last Saturday night near the village of Horton-cum-Studley in Oxfordshire. We stopped the car on both occasions and had good views in the headlights.

• 16. At 4:16pm on 05 Nov 2008, sleepingnightowl wrote:

Muntjac deer are regularly seen in Clacton on Sea - often around the seafront near the pubs. Day trippers looking for Babycham perhaps?

• 17. At 9:30pm on 05 Nov 2008, pipcoxy wrote:

Bill, Kate and team - we are enjoying autumnwatch so much - thank you.
    Brownsea is such a fantastic place - I have camped there many a time with my guides, and during the easter break the magpies came and took all the foil wrapped eggs!! Shows how clever they are. The wildlife is amazing. Thanks again for a great show Hannah & Family :-)

In response to the clark family - You have been watching the little egrets on Hayling Island. They have been there since about 1990 and have multiplied! I was there today and saw 3 by the bridge - beautiful birds to watch. I also saw curlews, redshanks and dunlin - Langstone is a great place to bird watch.