BBC BLOGS - Andrew Benson
« Previous | Main | Next »

Wise Button putting Hamilton in the shade

Post categories:

Andrew Benson | 11:22 UK time, Sunday, 18 April 2010

Jenson Button was repeatedly asked over last winter to justify his decision to join Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.

What are you doing, the suggestion clearly was, voluntarily deciding to go up against the fastest driver in the world in a team that has nurtured him since he was 11 years old?

How stupid do those queries look now after Button's win in China on Sunday, his second brilliant victory in the first four races, after which he now leads the world championship by 10 points?

I was one of the many people questioning the wisdom of Button's move, but if the world champion himself ever had any similar doubts, he never betrayed them.

Displaying the maturity that has become striking in Button since the start of his world title-winning season last year, the 30-year-old never lost patience with his questioners.

He talked about wanting to take on the "huge challenge" of racing Hamilton in the same car, and repeatedly emphasised that no-one knew what was going to happen.

"Nobody knows who is going to come out on top in any team," Button told me at the launch of McLaren's 2010 car, "and that's why we're going racing - to fight it out. At the end of the year we will see who is going to do the best job. For now, we are going to work together and improve this car hopefully better than anyone else."

Both of Button's victories have shared similar characteristics, in that they hinged on making the right calls on tyres in races in mixed weather conditions.

In Australia, Button was the first driver to switch to dry-weather tyres as the track dried after a wet start. During a thrilling Chinese Grand Prix on Sunday, the opposite thing happened and Button stayed out on dry-weather 'slick' tyres during an early-race shower while many other leading drivers - including Hamilton - changed to intermediates.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.


Both decisions put Button into second place. In Australia, he benefited from a failure on Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull, but in China he chased down the Mercedes of the impressive Nico Rosberg, who had also stayed out on slicks, and took the lead on lap 19 - the lap before he finally made the switch to intermediates.

From that point on the race was his to lose, and Button is far too good in the tricky, slippery conditions China produced to do that. And he survived plenty of drama to come in the shape of a second safety-car period, the need to come in for another set of tyres, fending off a charge from Hamilton, and hanging on as those tyres wore badly in the closing laps.

In many ways, it was Button's ability to hold off Hamilton that was the most impressive aspect of another superb performance.

Hamilton is renowned for his stunning ability in slippery conditions, but Button proved to everyone what has been obvious so far only to some - that he is arguably just as good as his team-mate when the track is wet.

The battle between Button and Hamilton was one of many aspects that always promised to make this season so fascinating, and so far it has more than lived up to its billing.

Trouble was expected at McLaren as these two big beasts of the F1 jungle went head to head, but so far Button and Hamilton seem to be approaching their tussle in exactly the right frame of mind - they work together off the track and they go at it hammer and tongs on it.

The relationship might yet explode, but so far there is no sign of it. In fact, the off-track dynamic between the two men is fascinating.

I noticed in Bahrain at the start of the season that Button was very much taking the lead in the news conferences, and Hamilton was almost deferring to him as the older, wiser man. I haven't been to the last three races, but my BBC colleagues tell me that pattern continues. We'll explore this in more depth at another time.

On the track, Button might have had the better of the results so far, but this battle is far from over. Hamilton might be 11 points adrift in the championship, but he has been quicker than his team-mate in three of the four races so far.

He was much faster than Button in Melbourne - in fact, it was being passed by Hamilton that prompted the older man to make his early stop. And Hamilton also had the edge in the races in both Bahrain and Malaysia. Yet Button has beaten Hamilton in qualifying three times out of four. It looks like being the story that keeps on giving.

The same goes for the intra-team battle at Mercedes, which has also confounded many of the pundits.

The biggest story of the winter was Michael Schumacher's return to F1 after three years in retirement. Would the German legend have made that decision if he knew his season would start the way it has?

Schumacher is being trounced by team-mate Rosberg and, despite the protestations of both himself and his team, there is no sign of that changing at the moment.

Rosberg has been impressive, no doubt, and his podium finish in China was probably the best performance of his career, resisting a charging Fernando Alonso for third place in the closing laps. And on the evidence of this season so far it is hard to argue with his race engineer Jock Clear's contention after the race that Rosberg is championship material if Mercedes can give him a good enough car.

But the problem Rosberg has in terms of what his performances mean for his wider standing within F1 is that it's clear the Schumacher he is racing is a pale shadow of the man who dominated F1 through the first half of the 'noughties'.

Schumacher is clearly struggling badly with the Mercedes. His car does not look set up well and the great man was talking in China about lacking rear grip, after struggling with the front end so far this year.

Mercedes are working hard to develop the car in a direction that creates the balance Schumacher prefers - a 'pointy' one more biased towards oversteer.

What is so strange about Schumacher's struggles, though, is that in his previous career it never seemed to matter how the car was set up. He could drive any car in any conditions and be faster than his team-mate. The contrast with his performances so far this season could not be more stark.

For all the protestations that he is doing well for a 41-year-old, that he has to be given time to get up to speed, this is not why Schumacher returned to F1. As he made clear to the BBC when his comeback was announced, he came back to battle at the front.

So far, Mercedes have been very supportive, as you would expect, but I thought the answer team boss Ross Brawn gave Martin Brundle before the race was very interesting. Why is Michael off the pace, Brundle asked? "Good question," Brawn replied.

Schumacher may well get it together but it is taking far longer than expected and after four races it is getting to the point where it is legitimate to ask whether he ever will. Even more than the intra-team battle at McLaren, this is one to watch.

It was a great grand prix, China - the third good one in a row - with impressive performances from all the drivers in the top four.

Hamilton drove brilliantly as he came through the field after his early tyre stop, and that Alonso was excellent in recovering from a drive-through penalty to finish fourth was overshadowed by all the other drama, but the Spaniard is rapidly establishing himself as the unquestioned main man at Ferrari after outpacing Felipe Massa comprehensively for the third race in a row.

Still there has not been a straightforward dry race in which it is possible to judge the comparative performances of the front-runners. Red Bull may well be the car to beat but I suspect it is much closer with Ferrari, particularly, and probably also McLaren, than many are saying at the moment.

Comments

Page 1 of 5

  • Comment number 1.

    I'm glad he's doing so. For so long we had to endure this rubbish about how it was the worst move he could have made and Lewis would prove how average he was. He's totally destroying those predictions. Two wins from no pole positions (or even coming all that close to getting them) and scoring in the other two races, this is arguably a more impressive start than last year when he had the double diffusers. I love it when armchair cynics are made to look like the idiots that they often are.

  • Comment number 2.

    Very good way to answer all his critics including Eddie Irvine and Jackie Stewart. Suddenly all these people who said Hamilton would 'Blow Jenson away' are all now saying "It's too soon to judge". All from a man who is supposed to be an inferior driver moving to a new team, new mechanics and new car versus "the fastest man in F1' who has been there 13 years.

    Stewart must be chocking on his horlicks!

  • Comment number 3.

    Circumstance has not been kind to Lewis. And I still believe that Lewis is the faster driver and the better overtaker. BUT Button's maturity and smart racing instinct is serving him well at this stage in the season. He's playing to his strengths and Lewis to his and it'll be fascinating to see which wins out in the end: Raw pace or consistent wisdom?

  • Comment number 4.

    I TOTALLY DISAGREE with both of you.
    Think about it who did 5 Brilliant overtakes = Lewis Hamilton

    Who Set the Fastest lap of the Race = Lewis Hamilton

    Who Actually fought his way up the field to come second after stopping 4 times = Lewis Hamilton

    Who`s Championship year was more exciting Lewis`s or Jenson`s = Lewis`s

    For me Lewis Hamilton is one of the greatest drivers of all time, and to be honest with you Jenson Button is so OVERATED, I mean every single bbc f1 show i watch Jake Humphrey and David Coulthard are so biased to Jenson. For me I am really considering not watching the bbc`s coverage because of those two. At the end of the season if Jenson finishes ahead of Lewis then it will be a miracle.

  • Comment number 5.

    Another lucky win by button, but that was all down to different pit stop strategy, if he would of come in and done 4 pit stops like lewis he would of been thrashed, lets see what happens when we have full dry race. lewis and jenson are both decent drivers but lewis is faster and will prevail.

  • Comment number 6.

    What I dont understand with these people saying Lewis is faster is that Button has outqualified him the last three races in a new car/team. He's been quicker over the one lap qualifying (including a wet qualifying session) and is making better racing decisions. How can Hamilton's four pitstops be lauded when they were due to his mistakes! Not only that but until the second safety car came out he was 48 seconds behind Button. Something that also seems to get conveniently forgotten.

  • Comment number 7.

    The story is far from over and circumstances have been on Buttons side so far. What is coming out of this that Button is proving to be as brilliant a tactician as Hamilton is a driver. My feeling is that Hamilton will win through once McLaren improve their qualifying pace with his supreme race pace from the front of the grid.

  • Comment number 8.

    "At 12:13pm on 18 Apr 2010, lewishamiltonforever wrote:
    I TOTALLY DISAGREE with both of you.
    Think about it who did 5 Brilliant overtakes = Lewis Hamilton

    Who Set the Fastest lap of the Race = Lewis Hamilton

    Who Actually fought his way up the field to come second after stopping 4 times = Lewis Hamilton

    Who`s Championship year was more exciting Lewis`s or Jenson`s = Lewis`s

    For me Lewis Hamilton is one of the greatest drivers of all time, and to be honest with you Jenson Button is so OVERATED, I mean every single bbc f1 show i watch Jake Humphrey and David Coulthard are so biased to Jenson. For me I am really considering not watching the bbc`s coverage because of those two. At the end of the season if Jenson finishes ahead of Lewis then it will be a miracle."

    Lewis had a great race in Shanghai but hugely benefited from the safety car. Without it he wouldn't have finished second. To be honest, how can you accuse the BBC of being biased with a name like 'lewishamiltonforever'? Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but can you really pass a fair comment on the rivalry between the Mclaren duo? Jenson Button must be overated to have won 9 grand prix's, one of them in a Honda, have 7 pole positions and be world champion! And also be the first man to outscore Lewis Hamilton on points in the first leg of a season! Of course, anyone could do that.
    If Button was 'lucky' today, does that mean he has been lucky on the eight other previous occasions as well? The same could be said of Lewis Hamiltons victories I suppose?

    Now getting thoroughly fed up of the petty sniping that Hamilton 'fans' have gone into since Australia. Good luck to both our Brit drivers and may they continue to have very succesful races this year.

  • Comment number 9.

    The key for Button has been 'changeable weather' where his tyre calls have came off for him. Hes certainly not out racing Hamilton who is in a class of his own and once the weather stabalises (wet or dry) raw speed and Hamilton will prevail. Simple as.

  • Comment number 10.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 11.

    Also, the decision on who's championship year was more exciting is an opinion, not fact. Brazil 2008 was exciting because Lewis only just scraped through, whereas Button won with a race to spare. Does that prove who is better?

  • Comment number 12.

    Interesting blog, but I simply think it is far too early to make such judgements. Jenson's win in Australia was great - but if the predicted rain HAD fallen then he would have looked an absolutely numpty. So there was an element of luck there. I think when Lewis is 100% in qualifying and also the race, then he will beat everyone. He made Vettel look pretty ordinary today as they finally went wheel-to-wheel, which is what we've all been waiting for.

    What I do love though is the fact that the dynamic at McLaren has confounded all the know-it-all pundits who just wanted a dust-up between the two, a la 2007 with Alonso, or even harking back to the Prost/Senna war. It just hasn't happened and I just love it. True respect between them because they are BOTH classy drivers and I'm so proud to see two Brits really taking it to everyone else.

    There are SO many races to go, love F1 and love it so much more now it's back on the BBC!

  • Comment number 13.

    Very smart drive by Jenson so far...but come on if formula 1 had top drivers with Jenson style it would have been the most boring competition ever, no doubt about that! And very few people will be bothered to leave the bed in the early hours.

    For me, Lewis is all about the excitement we enjoy and talk about so far! How many overtaking he did in the past 3 races? Can Jenson make his way up the way Lewis did? I honestly don't think so he has any chance of doing it, no chance!! The only race you can talk about JB as a true racer is Brazil, nothing else!!I congratulate Jenson for his win, but my word it's Lewis who take me out of bed to watch his super drive....a true racer in his own league!!

  • Comment number 14.

    @ 'lewishamiltonforever' Your point that Lewis' championship was more exciting actually contradicts your argument that Lewis is supremely better, as it was more exciting because Lewis didn't dominate the season at any point.

    Not to knock you Andrew, but I remember reading a blog of yours that said Jenson would be consigned to the sidelines and I remember thinking: "It will be funny when he proves you all wrong" and now he has.

    Lewis is quick, but he's still very hasty and young, Ron Dennis might say he has a Latin temperament, still on his day when he gets it all right he is great. However, at the moment Jenson has a far superior racecraft, and his consistency to deliver under pressure is something Lewis has not mastered 100% yet. Jenson is just like wine, he gets better with age.

    Now with regards to Nico vs Schumi, I like to count myself among the small group who said that Nico would have the edge on the 'old man', and if you look at his qualifying performances relative to the car you might say he's been the standout man on Saturday. He'll get his maiden win soon. However, even I didn't expect Schumi to be this bad, and your point about him usually being able to adapt to unfavorable machinery is exactly what I think, the 96 Ferrari was so much worse than this years Mercedes.

  • Comment number 15.

    #10 Absolute clap trap. The FIA threw everything at Hamilton during his championship winning season and the SC always came out whenever he had a commanding lead. I suggest you take your anti-Hamilton glasses off.

  • Comment number 16.

    Result:

    Master - First

    Apprentice - Second, and still learning

  • Comment number 17.

    Lets all be happy that our two brits are up there,two great drivers,but lewis is not just a great driver he's the best driver were going to see in our generation and it's appalling to see how media and pundits alike want to lay any blame from any situation at his door.For instance martin brundell thought lewis should get a penalty when vettel decided to run him in to everyones wheel guns in the pit lane. That wasn't anything to do with lewis but i bet he gets a penalty from the stewards after. I think the problem is jealousy. Take lewis out of f1 and watch the excitement disapear.I think martin brundell is a little bit regetfull of is own career,at times he was as quick as senna and schumacer and given the right opportunity could have been world champion but martin show the respect lewis deserves and accept were not going to see anyone like him in our lifetime.

  • Comment number 18.

    There are quite a lot of silly points on this thread- people seem to forget that winning formula 1 races isn't just about brilliant overtaking.

    I happen to think comparing Button and Hamilton is often a bit futile- they are such different drivers. There's no doubt that Hamilton sneaks it on raw speed and overtaking ability, but in virtually every other area- mentality, experience, tyre management, decision making, consistency- Button is far superior in my view.

    Hamilton was sensational in this race- some of his driving was pure genius. But he also made a wrong strategy decision, got himself investigated by the stewards and wrecked his tyres quicker than Jenson. Jenson made the right call, did what he had to do and didn't get flustered when his 50 second gap was wasted- that is the kind of cool-headed drive that wins you championships, as per 2009.

  • Comment number 19.

    In all honesty the two races button has won has been due to favorable circumstances, agreed he made good tyre choices. But these choices only look good when they work for you, so far so good. But then again there is no question as to who is the better driver at McLaren - Lewis Hamilton. Button is good but in my view if has to be true contender for this year he has to win outright when there is no rain and the race is not effected by safety cars and rains. In this years championship a 10 point lead means nothing as you get 25 points for the win. I guess we have to wait and see what happens.

  • Comment number 20.

    (obviously Button was also massively lucky- but you can only drive what;s in front of you)

  • Comment number 21.

    "4. At 12:13pm on 18 Apr 2010, lewishamiltonforever wrote:
    I TOTALLY DISAGREE with both of you.
    Think about it who did 5 Brilliant overtakes = Lewis Hamilton

    Who Set the Fastest lap of the Race = Lewis Hamilton

    Who Actually fought his way up the field to come second after stopping 4 times = Lewis Hamilton

    Who`s Championship year was more exciting Lewis`s or Jenson`s = Lewis`s"

    What a load of biased twaddle. Having a more exciting championship year just means he mucked up enough to drag it out longer. And you're other points can be answered with 1 question:

    Who showed maturity and made the right call on tyres to put himself at the sharp end where he didn't need to battle and overtake anyone (except Rosberg)? Oh that's right, Jenson Button. And he was justly rewarded with the win.

    Final Point- Nico Rosberg is 10 points of the championship lead, in a car which Mercedes admit is not at it's quickest. If their big updates bring them up to the pace, I think he's a serious contender for the title.

  • Comment number 22.

    Why is this forum constantly plagued by silly, uneducated comments?

    Button wholly deserved this win, his second of the year, he outwitted everyone again with his strategy...but alas, some folk have got it into their heads that Jenson Button is constantly lucky. That's childish to the extreme. You can't argue with his results over the past year and a half.

    Another great F1 race, great result for McLaren, Jenson, Lewis and England.

    Hopefully those "fans" who innacurately say "F1 has turned boring" will be contented by 3 fantastic grands prix in a row. Roll on Spain!

  • Comment number 23.

    Good blog, Andrew.

    Seem there is much argument of Jenson and Lewis who is best and who is not.

    Well, let me explain. Both are one of most gift drivers in world, yes Lewis is fast driver but also Jenson is fast too.

    I saw one person here say Jenson is overrated driver?

    I am bit confused with your say because Jackie Stewart said that Jenson Button driver style alike to four times champion Alain Prost, winner of 51 GP.

    Talent?

    Jenson have one of most rarest gift that drivers ever had, he had plan everything, look after tires from beginners, right speed at right times, when apply brake and he is most accurate driver on grid.

    Then on Lewis, also had most rarest gift. He would fought like loin though and though, crazy stunt to overtake and make it fun to watch. The flaw of his is that he has push too hard.

    Both are out and out fastest drivers.

    I am look forward of their partnership which I think could be one of greatest.

    PS Did you saw Lewis talk about team work? Now this is very important!

  • Comment number 24.

    it seems strange to make any connection between quality of champion and how exciting the championship was. It seems more logical to say the driver who won the championship with the most races to spare is the better driver. (not that i'm particularly say Button is the better driver, i'm just pointing out the total lack of rationality of many hamilton fans)

    Also, why exactly is make 4 pit stops a reason to think hamilton is better? that was his decisions. and the fastest lap of a race is not really that important because it's pointless doing that if you then need to go and change your tyres again because you have ripped them to shreds.

    All these rants do a dis-service to hamilton because it puts sane people off wanting to support him when so many morons do!

  • Comment number 25.

    Still feel come the end of the season Lewis will have clearly outperformed Jenson. Yes Jenson is making the right calls for now, but Lewis is a masterclass on the racing track, and race by race that will tell.

  • Comment number 26.

    Ok firstly lewis should be renamed to KING LEWIS or SUPERHAM KING OF RACING...lol :D

    Great race. They should turn on sprinklers always otherwise F1 will be boring. Secondly I am a great Lewis fan, but credit to Button for the win. I still however feel button plays things to safe like towards the end of last year. He had luck today which one always needs. But he is still average in comparison to race pace and entertainment that we get from 'SUPERHAM'.

    I found Lewis s race good for a number of reasons today. He may have gambled to early with the tyre change BUT, it was great because he got to race vettel directly which might silence alot of people who always compare such two drivers. i.e. what would happen if vettel was in that position or Lewis? etc

    I think Button is too much of a safe player. We saw it in the last race. He hardly overtook anyone. For me to fall back gambling and fight forward is good quality stuff. My driver of the day goes to SuperHam Lewis :D.


  • Comment number 27.

    4. At 12:13pm on 18 Apr 2010, lewishamiltonforever wrote:
    I TOTALLY DISAGREE with both of you.
    Think about it who did 5 Brilliant overtakes = Lewis Hamilton

    Who Set the Fastest lap of the Race = Lewis Hamilton

    Who Actually fought his way up the field to come second after stopping 4 times = Lewis Hamilton

    Who`s Championship year was more exciting Lewis`s or Jenson`s = Lewis`s

    For me Lewis Hamilton is one of the greatest drivers of all time, and to be honest with you Jenson Button is so OVERATED, I mean every single bbc f1 show i watch Jake Humphrey and David Coulthard are so biased to Jenson. For me I am really considering not watching the bbc`s coverage because of those two. At the end of the season if Jenson finishes ahead of Lewis then it will be a miracle.

    ====================================

    You are joking right? One of the greatest drivers of all time? Seriously?
    He is good, but not that good. Yet.

    On the overtaking, did you not see Jenson's overtaking last year? The ones in Brazil especially were just as good as any overtaking manoeuvres that Lewis pulls. Lewis only had to push hard and make the overtakes because he made the wrong decisions. If he had copied Button, he probably would have drove a similar race to Button.

    Lewis did do well to come second, after his pitstops. He drove well. But Button drove better. He made the better decisions which meant he could coast for half of the race. Anyway, Alonso did better. After his penalty, and taking the same amount of normal stops as Hamilton, it is astonishing that he was a contender for the podium.

    BBC is not biased in that way. In any way, it's DC towards Red Bull and all of them against Schumacher (who is clearly having problems but still, they are misunderstanding his problems and putting it all down to him being completely useless). Button gets credit when it's due. He was brilliant today. Hamilton gets credit when it's due. He was brilliant today also. BBC would naturally give the RACE WINNER the most attention, but still gave Hamilton and everyone else a mention.

    Finally, how can you put down that Hamilton's championship year was (only marginally) more exciting as a factor to him being the superior driver? It holds no indication to who is better.

  • Comment number 28.

    and one more thing, why does everything good that button does have to be lucky when everything good hamilton does has to be racing genius! you can't have it both ways.

  • Comment number 29.

    oh and that was all in reply to lewishamiltonforever by the way! enjoyed the blog andrew!

  • Comment number 30.

    The two things that his race has done is increase my respect for both Hamilton and Button. An Imperious drive from Button, but Hamilton continues to show he is a fantastic racer, quick and aggressive, and also leads me to wonder,more than anything else, how much Alonso's temperament was responsible for the fallout when he was Hamilton's team mate. Hamilton appears to be content to learn from Jenson and appears to be genuinely fond of the guy, which is the one thing I did not expect.

  • Comment number 31.

    Disagree.

    Its early days yet.

    Two good strategy calls by Jenson. Yes agreed, one team screwup for Hammy and the other today I guess his.
    The drives that followed by Hammy to come back at the leaders in bothe cases were exemplorary, the time he made up was outstanding.
    So, my view, better stategy/decission Jenson, better driver. Hamilton by a country mile.

  • Comment number 32.

    @ no.4. lewishamiltonforever

    From your comments, you definitely are still very immature much like Hamilton. (and I bet when you answer me, you will prove my point!)

    Anyone can drive at full pace, (Hamilton) conserving the tyres and car and finishing first is what mature drivers are capable of! (Button)

    Anyway so tell me lewishamiltonforever, who won today’s race?

  • Comment number 33.

    Lewis is faster, Jenson is smarter.

    But hats off to McLaren for putting them in the same team. Lewis clearly has a lot to learn and by putting Jenson alongside him, Whitmarsh & Co have made a move that will surely pay huge dividends for Lewis in years to come.

    Jenson has presence, as evidenced by the lead he takes with the media and Lewis clearly respects him. You can bet Lewis is thinking tonight, "that canny so and so... I was faster than him, again, but he still beat me, again".

    China proved that Australia wasn't a fluke - and Lewis will no doubt be quietly contemplating how he can add some of that to his own game. After all, he has already lost one championship by making the wrong tyre call (again in China coincidentally).

    McLaren's pit wall do get it wrong on a regular basis (much like Red Bull in fact) but Jenson has come in and showed the leadership that Lewis hasn't yet mastered when it comes to strategy decisions. Button did just spend the last few years with Ross Brawn, so perhaps you can see where gets his thinking from...

  • Comment number 34.

    Number 31:

    A better driver would be a combination of both Hamilton and Button. A brilliant driver is an ALL ROUND driver. Schumacher, Senna, Prost. All were outstandingly fast, faster than most. All could overtake. All could manage their car, tyres and then push. All could pull special laps. All could make great strategy decisions.

    Although I think that there is little difference between Button and Hamilton in terms of outright driving skill, pace and overtaking when they are both on a good day (each have better and worse days), undoubtedly Button is more mature in Strategy and car management. I have no doubts that this will come to Hamilton in time, and he has the time to surpass Button in a clear cut manner, and possibly go on to be great.

  • Comment number 35.

    I think we have had enough Schumacher bashing now. I get the feeling the bbc commentators always highlight the negative aspects of Schumachers performance. why don't you guys just let him get on with it. to not see his potential is stupidity. for god's sake he's not a pentioner...no disrespect intended to pensioners...give a man a reason to fight and he will fight like never before. I think he's having motivational issues and the media aren't helping. I really hope Schumacher doesn't pay attention to those commentators to much because it could at the very least demoralize him, or even push him out of the sport before his contract is up, and that would be robbing the FANS as a direct result of the media/commentators careless actions. whether your a fan or hater of Schumacher you should wish him well because the James bond movies are rubbish without the villains. And it's great to see a blast from the past isn't it?? I wish Schumacher all the best the same way i wish Bruno senna lives up to his potential in time and graces us with the senna spirit once again, and i wish Schumacher well in the same way i wish Murray walker would come back and commentate for one last season. To the critics think about what your saying and what effect your words can have, be a little more responsible please.

  • Comment number 36.

    Lewis drove an incredible race. He forced his way up the field many times and once again, did the most overtaking of anyone today. Neat points and looks good for wins in the coming months.

    Jenson drove very well. Good call with the tyres got him the boost he needed. Drove carefully and fast thereafter. Great points and this shows he'll probably be in the mix right until the end of the season.

    As for McLaren, they're the only team this season to really take advantage of the conditions. Fact, you're going to get races like this - sometimes wet, mostly slippery. The positive for McLaren is that they can work on their general dry pace and qualifying which is exactly where they improved last season. Hamilton from driving a dog suddenly got 4 poles and 2 wins in the second half of the season, so they know they'll stay the distance, and have two quite different, but very excellent drivers that will pick up points in all conditions.

    It's looking very good for Team GB in F1 at the moment.

  • Comment number 37.

    Regarding to
    To be honest, how can you accuse the BBC of being biased with a name like 'lewishamiltonforever'? Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but can you really pass a fair comment on the rivalry between the Mclaren duo?

    By Anthony

    Who do you support. It`s my way of showing alligiance to lewis.

    And so all of lewis`s wins were lucky??????????? = no

    Britain 08
    Fuji 07
    Hungary 09
    Australia 10
    China 10
    China 08

    I hate when people criticize me just for supporting lewis and not jenson just cause i am white doesn`t mean i have to support jenson.you people are sometimes racist a bit .

  • Comment number 38.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 39.

    I don't really understand what all the bickering is between everyone about Button and Hamilton. I have personally been a McLaren fan for as long as I can remember watching F1 (yes I am only 23, but my earliest memory of F1 is probably Senna and Bergher in '91) and was quite biased towards Hamilton when Alonso was on the other side of the garage, but come on everyone, whether Button or Hamilton win surely you should be happy as an English driver in an English team is picking up the maximum points, and as for today the team is getting the absolute maximum allocation it can get.

    Personally I think that Hamilton is quicker and can make the car work better for him if it is not set up correctly, i.e. the MP4-23, but Button is so smooth in his racing style that if he has got a perfect car under him it will be tantilisingly close between them. The outcome of this situation obviously would lend itself to the driver who made the better of the race conditions, i.e. qualifying, split second decisions, keeping a cool-head, etc.

    We have seen what Button is like with an under developed car in the Honda's of 2007-08 and a superior car like the Brawn at the start of last year, likewise we know what Hamilton is capable of in cars of a similar stature (obvioulsy not quite as bad as the Honda!). However, we have all seen what there reactions are like if things aren't going their way, Hamilton in Australia '10 "Who's decision was it to pit, a terrible decision.", Button in Hungary '09 "How can this car be so bad at the moment?"

    Therefore, we should all be sitting on the edge of our seats and supporting the team and appropriately congratulating the winner of the race whether it be the No.1 or No. 2 car, just happy that an all English team is at the top of the rankings in both Championships.

  • Comment number 40.

    Leaving the Hamilton-Button debate to one side, it's worth mentioning that this was another magnificent race, certainly on a par with Melbourne and as good as any wet race I've seen. It was good to see a wet race which was exciting because of the good racing it provided, rather because of everybody slamming into each other(a la Spa 1998, that and Damon's win are the only reasons it's universally popular!)

    If anyone complains that that was boring then they are mad. Feel free to hypothersise that the next race will be a procession (anything above that at Barcelona excedes my expectations), but please don't criticise a great race when we get, whether it was caused by unusal conditions/safety cars or whatever else. Savour the moment!

  • Comment number 41.

    26. At 12:55pm on 18 Apr 2010, Mark Adler wrote:
    Ok firstly lewis should be renamed to KING LEWIS or SUPERHAM KING OF RACING...lol :D

    Great race. They should turn on sprinklers always otherwise F1 will be boring. Secondly I am a great Lewis fan, but credit to Button for the win. I still however feel button plays things to safe like towards the end of last year. He had luck today which one always needs. But he is still average in comparison to race pace and entertainment that we get from 'SUPERHAM'.

    I found Lewis s race good for a number of reasons today. He may have gambled to early with the tyre change BUT, it was great because he got to race vettel directly which might silence alot of people who always compare such two drivers. i.e. what would happen if vettel was in that position or Lewis? etc

    I think Button is too much of a safe player. We saw it in the last race. He hardly overtook anyone. For me to fall back gambling and fight forward is good quality stuff. My driver of the day goes to SuperHam Lewis :D.

    ===========================

    I think Hamilton would have dearly loved to 'play it safe' in 2008 and secure his championship relatively comfortably. Even that claim of Button 'playing it safe' is pure nonsense. Remember Brazil? Button had to go out and win that to avoid putting even more pressure on himself in the last race.

    I can hardly call anyone who has several wins and two already this season, now leading the championship, and driving perfectly in many areas in both those wins as average. Granted, Button did have a poor weekend in Malaysia, but as i said in another comment, Hamilton has poor weekends too.

  • Comment number 42.

    today button was fantastic, i will not take that away from him . he has the whole package , consitency , good strategy, patience and an ok pace to go with it. hamilton is a great racer thst brings excitement to the sport but wat he needs now is patience and the ability to make good decision. when he has this he will be on a diffrent class to button because i believe he is still growing up in this sport. hamilton is 25, button is 30.....think all the exprienece he will have even before he is 30......if he stays away from trouble he has potential to be great

  • Comment number 43.

    As for the Lewis-Jenson debate, there really is no need to be so polarised on the two. They're both fantastic drivers, but both very different.

    I have no doubt though, that Hamilton's ability and style, as proved by his first 3 seasons in F1 compared to Button's first 10, is the better equiped to win races and championships overall.

    But one thing is true, give them a great car, and they will both prove themselves to be great.

  • Comment number 44.

    in reply to "lewishamiltonforever"

    since when has race had ANYTHING to do with any of this? that is pathetic thing to fall back on and it trivialises racism when people claim racism when there is clearly none. There is no excuse for bringing racism into it. Or turning discusion into personal attacks.

  • Comment number 45.

    37. At 1:10pm on 18 Apr 2010, lewishamiltonforever wrote:
    Regarding to
    To be honest, how can you accuse the BBC of being biased with a name like 'lewishamiltonforever'? Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but can you really pass a fair comment on the rivalry between the Mclaren duo?

    By Anthony

    Who do you support. It`s my way of showing alligiance to lewis.

    And so all of lewis`s wins were lucky??????????? = no

    Britain 08
    Fuji 07
    Hungary 09
    Australia 10
    China 10
    China 08

    I hate when people criticize me just for supporting lewis and not jenson just cause i am white doesn`t mean i have to support jenson.you people are sometimes racist a bit .

    ==================

    Excuse me! when and how does racism come into this!

  • Comment number 46.

    Hi all,

    Thanks for your comments so far. Some very interesting points.

    Just one thing on post 35. The BBC is not Schumacher-bashing. We are simply telling the story of what is happening. The guy is a seven-time world champion, and myself, Martin Brundle, David Coulthard and others all have the very highest regard for his abilities as a driver.

    But it is exactly for that reason that his struggles are such a talking point. As Brundle pointed out to Norbert Haug during the red button Forum, Schumacher was three-quarters of a second slower than Rosberg in qualifying in China, and finished 50 seconds behind him despite the safety car closing up the field shortly before half distance.

    These are eye-opening margins for any racing driver to be on the wrong end of, let alone someone who is clearly one of the greatest of all time.

    Pointing this out is not bashing Schumacher, it is simply a fair reporting of the facts on a very interesting and high-profile subject.

  • Comment number 47.

    You are joking right? One of the greatest drivers of all time? Seriously?
    He is good, but not that good. Yet.

    By Ryan Reader

    List of all time greats:
    1.Ayrton Senna
    2.Micheal Schumacher
    3.Jim Clarke
    4.Jackie Stewart
    5.John Surtees
    6.Fangio
    7.Lewis Hamilton
    8.Alain Prost
    9.Nigel Mansell
    10.Jack Brabham


























    110.Jenson Button

    Does that answer you question?

  • Comment number 48.

    37. At 1:10pm on 18 Apr 2010, lewishamiltonforever wrote:

    Regarding to
    To be honest, how can you accuse the BBC of being biased with a name like 'lewishamiltonforever'? Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but can you really pass a fair comment on the rivalry between the Mclaren duo?

    By Anthony

    Who do you support. It`s my way of showing alligiance to lewis.

    And so all of lewis`s wins were lucky??????????? = no

    Britain 08
    Fuji 07
    Hungary 09
    Australia 10
    China 10
    China 08

    I hate when people criticize me just for supporting lewis and not jenson just cause i am white doesn`t mean i have to support jenson.you people are sometimes racist a bit .

    ________________________________________________________________________

    Massive fan you are lewishamiltonfan! Lewis doesn't have any wins to his collection yet this year even though you seem to have creditted him with two wins already!

    Still, I think you need to calm down a bit and stop bringing the race card into play, I too am white, but more importantly I'm English and support Mclaren, which is not only Button and Hamilton, but the numerous other personnel that make it possible for the two drivers to do what they do best... win races.

  • Comment number 49.

    To say Button is putting Hamilton in the shade is nonsense. I would expect someone to say that if they had just checked the results rather than watching the races. Hamilton's racing this season has been the best of the field and things would be much more boring without him. Everyone keeps banging on about Button being so good at preserving his tyres but the simple fact is that he would be less able to do that if he was overtaking as many people as Hamilton.

    Well done to Button for putting his many years more experience to good use but he'll finish behind Hamilton in the championship.

  • Comment number 50.

    Okay Lewishamiltonforever, I wasn't aware anyone was accusing you of racism, so I don't see why you would bring it up.

    Furthermore no one is saying Lewis is rubbish, in fact I was very impressed by him last season, what people are saying is that he's still young and learning, it didn't help having a rookie with him for two years. Jenson will help Lewis become a better driver I'm sure.

    Also, I don't think anyone is saying Lewis is not exciting to watch. Some of those battles he had, especially with Nico, were great, however being exciting doesn't mean you're great. Overtaking is all very well but it means your aren't at the front which is probably down to you. I think Lewis needs to think a bit more about things, and not impulsively act, but that's all part of growing up as a Formula 1 driver.

  • Comment number 51.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 52.

    lewishamiltonforever:

    If Hamilton goes on to win at least 3 championships and is consistently a contender for the rest of a long career, he could be considered amongst those greats.

    Button will probably never be considered as a true great. Hamilton could be, with time. I am a fan of both, being English. Button is near the end of his career. Hamilton's has barely begun. Give it 5 or 10 years, then come back and consider Hamilton being a true great.

    Let me clarify, both are good at the moment. Hamilton has the base to go on to better.

  • Comment number 53.

    ANOTHER brilliant drive from Lewis. He might not have won, but he is definitely THE class act out there. Keep it up Lewis, the wins will come.

  • Comment number 54.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 55.

    @ Lewishamiltonforever

    That list of yours, where does it come from? Because as exciting as Hamilton is, anyone who is a true F1 fan would rate Prost Higher.

    Also the racist argument was brought up by you, and proves you have something to learn about considering and respecting others opinions.

  • Comment number 56.

    i've got to say i agree with post 52 from Ryan Reader. and you need to calm down lewishamiltonforever, you've got no reason to suspect anyone is being racist on here so give it up.

  • Comment number 57.

    Andrew, re comment 46, I have no doubt that it may well be the case for the majority of you, but Jonathan Legard's open bias against Schumacher throughout the race was so blatant that he had also Martin slightly embarrassed. I watched the race surrounded by McLaren fans (definitely not Schumacher's best friends) and we all thought that Jonathan was being quite nonsensical or superficial, at some stage. It did not look good.

  • Comment number 58.

    Well it was a great race, although as someone said above, would it happen without the rain & ensuing chaos?

    I love watching Lewis, he is outstanding but having the virtual opposite of him (driving style wise) in the same team is fascinating to watch. It's kinda like the Prost/Senna days in the way they were very different drivers but also very effective.

    Without deviating from the subject, what about Alonso in relation to these two? Apart from the first race he has had myriad problems yet he is still right up there, driving really well. He is possibly the perfect mix of Button/Hamilton - agression plus nous - what do you think?

  • Comment number 59.

    O.K my bad, but If i take the word "bashing" out of my previous post NO:35 , and replace it with excessive coverage or criticism, do i have a valid point then?

  • Comment number 60.

    Jenson and Lewis (although lucky with the sc) drove brilliantly today. Always thought I was in a rather select group of Rosberg admirers i think he will have a similar season to Kubica in 08 taking the car to places it just shouldn't be in. Alonsos move on Massa might just set the tone for the whole season. Really ballsy just shoved him out the way. Felipe and obviously Schumi are going to be destroyed by their teamates this year. At Mclaren I have always been a fan of Button first and then Lewis and Fernando second. They seem to be getting on really well off track though which is good to see but if that lasts I'll be stunned. Still unsure as to who will come out on top but if the majority of Lewis fans are like lewisfanforever i hope to god its Jenson!!

  • Comment number 61.

    I don't think the BBC are Schumacher bashing but there making a bit of a noise about it aren't they? What I do find laughable though is the fact that after 3 years out of the sport, Andrew, you still expect Michael to jump into a car that clearly doesn't suit his driving style and still trounce his team mate which suggests you expected him to jump into f1 and begin his reign of dominance again! Come on people. Let's have some realism here guys. Let's see how he does in Europe.

  • Comment number 62.

    Lewis is by far the more talented driver. It seems that Jenson though, uses his experience well, making the right decisions.

    If you want to compare the drivers, just look at how Lewis absolutely brushed aside Jenson this year to overtake him.

    Jenson is a really good driver, but he needs everything to go perfectly for him to win races. Car, conditions, and at McLaren, a teammate that gets all the bad intel.

    Lewis, on the other hand, is a born racer. A pure talent with enough potential to win lots of WDCs and become an undisputed all-time great. You will look at this blog at the end of the year, and like Phil McNulty and his Liverpool love-in, will realise that form is temporary, class is permanent. Jenson will never be mentioned in the same breath as Hamilton, Schumacher and Senna in a decade's time. Just look at how the boy overtakes. Sublime. But he needs the luck too. And sometimes his youth can get the better of him. I would pay to watch Lewis any time, Jenson not so.

  • Comment number 63.

    Just remember we've only had 4 races, the season is very long. Button has had alot of luck and luck can deliver results, its not always just about the racing. Hamilton is the fastest and better racing driver, lets see who finishes on top at the end of the season. Button's performance at the end of last season 2009 was shakey to say the least so lets see what happens.

    Also David Coulthard needs to learn to be neutral because he is supposed to be a commentator and not a PR agent for Red Bull and Button

  • Comment number 64.

    Thrilled with the today's result. Some good comments on here. It's great to have two fantastic British drivers, that are completely different. As noted, Lewis is the fastest, most exciting and best overtaker in formula 1. His weakness is still his lack of experience and overall race weekend strategy. He's passed more cars in the last three races than most people in a season, but hasn't yet won a race in 2010. Jenson has as great combination of smooth, fast driving, tyre preservation and experience. This combination is making him very strong, along with the confidence of being the new world champion. I just hope McLaren can sort out their qualifying, because both drivers are always good in the race.
    I don't agree with comments about Jenson being lucky. He's in a new team, hasn't started from pole, is probably in only the 3rd best car, and has won 2 from 4. Both drivers are in a great position in the championship, with Jenson leading and Lewis having driven much better than his joint 3rd place suggests.

  • Comment number 65.

    A person who is a racist, overated,lucky man

    Did that answer your question???

    Are you really accusing Jenson Button of being racist? I thought you were stupid before now I just think your a joke. Wow the depths....

  • Comment number 66.

    "51. At 1:21pm on 18 Apr 2010, lewishamiltonforever wrote:
    What a load of biased twaddle. Having a more exciting championship year just means he mucked up enough to drag it out longer. And you're other points can be answered with 1 question.

    by CNW0429

    You are so obviously racist and you are a fickle f1 fan. I hate this kind of people."

    How dare you. On this evidence I think you need to look up 'Racist' in the dictionary. There is nothing racist in there. I have nothing against Lewis Hamilton, and would love to see him and Button battle it out over the season, and more importantly do the business for McLaren. You just need to grow up and realise that today, as in Melbourne, Jenson outwitted he majority of the opposition, and fully deserves the win for being bold enough to do so. Lewis had actually made the right decision initially, but rashly shot into the pits at the very last minute when he saw that most others had. Probably cost him the race win.

    As a racer and overtaker he's better than Button, but he does find himself in more situations, often of his own making, where he has to be. If Jenson gets to the front using a bit of brain power then good on him. It's all part of being an F1 driver, a skill Hamilton may well have developped by his 11th season in F1.

  • Comment number 67.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 68.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 69.

    i think this whole lewis and button thing comes down to what you like watching in f1...........fast and dangerous or average and slick....i think the media needs to leave both men alone before they drive a wedge between them...let them both do there talking on the race track....and lewishamilton forever u need to calm down....we all love lewis and button and we will let them bo there stuff

  • Comment number 70.

    James Mathews@18

    Drivers don't make strategy decisions they sit in a cockpit and drive. To make strategy you need to be aware of how the race unfolds that's the job of the pitwall, or in Mclaren's case the nerve centre at Woking - crazy I know. Experienced drivers make tactical calls on tyre changes especially in mixed conditions, if they work out for you then you're a genius if you get it wrong you're a dolt which is what Rosberg was saying on the forum, if you listened. Button's had good fortune on this so far but that won't always be the case. Nontheless Button deserves his victories and is a worthy challenge for Hamilton who will drive worse this year and win. Fastest driver of the two: Hamilton unquestionably.

  • Comment number 71.

    #47, lewishamiltonforever wrote:

    List of all time greats:
    1.Ayrton Senna
    2.Micheal Schumacher
    3.Jim Clarke
    4.Jackie Stewart
    5.John Surtees
    6.Fangio
    7.Lewis Hamilton
    8.Alain Prost
    9.Nigel Mansell
    10.Jack Brabham



    110.Jenson Button


    Since you clearly couldn't be bothered to find out, it's JUAN MANUEL FANGIO

    Oh, and since Schumacher isn't Irish, it's MICHAEL not MICHEAL

  • Comment number 72.

    Oh and Lewis "was yet again guided the wrong way by his team" from lewishamiltonforever.

    You may have noticed that Button didn't rely on the team for either of his 2 wins, and actually guided his team. Perhaps this emphasises the benefits of trusting your own instincts on track rather than relying on the predictions of those in the pits. I'm sorry if that's racist.

  • Comment number 73.

    Many ridiculous things have been said in the past months: Hamilton would walk-over Button. Hamilton was lord and master over MacLaren. The two world champs would fall-out, etc. etc. Time has shown that MacLaren do give all their drivers an equal chance, despite certain muck-slinging campaigns against the team.

  • Comment number 74.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 75.

    LH fans are uneducated..... now is just gettin sillt really...... who did win the race? JB..... u just eating your words, and hurts known is 2 nil to JB... Button won go away and tht will kill you haha... well done JB and LH

  • Comment number 76.

    Sadly, what is being shown the strongest, is the fierce and widening schism between the Hamilton and Button fans. The second-guessing, the loud trumpeting of any advantage or result, the 'tear someone else down to build yourself up' approach is leading to a bitter rift that shows no sign of ever stopping nor indeed reducing.

    That's the saddest state of affairs in all this.
    Two people that should have their achievements held up, instead getting them respectively dragged through the mud for a sake of an egotrip.

  • Comment number 77.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 78.

    Goodness, some people really talk some rubbish don't they?

    We've had four races this year, all that's important and will be remembered in the history books are the results.

    Button - 2 wins
    Alonso - 1 win
    Vettel - 1 win
    Hamilton - 0 wins

    Qualifying
    Button 3 - Hamilton 1
    Alonso 3 - Massa 1
    Vettel 3 - Webber 1
    Rosberg 4 - Schumacher 0

    Bring on the rest of the season...

  • Comment number 79.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 80.

    The quality of the driving doesn't matter.

    Final positions determine the points awarded, and points make champions!

    I'm sure any driver - including both at McLaren - would rather get a 'lucky' win than skifully make it to second or third.

    As Lewis Hamilton will continue to learn (and as Jenson Button has amply demonstrated thus far in 2010), the better the driver, the 'luckier' he seems to be!

    ... unless the driver is in a Red bull - that team doesn't have troubles to seek!

  • Comment number 81.

    80. At 1:53pm on 18 Apr 2010, Mystery Poster wrote:
    The quality of the driving doesn't matter.


    You are joking aren`t you?

    So you are saying that you wouldn`t be suprised if Jaime Alguersauiri won the world title

  • Comment number 82.

    41. At 1:15pm on 18 Apr 2010, Ryan Reader wrote:

    I think Hamilton would have dearly loved to 'play it safe' in 2008 and secure his championship relatively comfortably. Even that claim of Button 'playing it safe' is pure nonsense. Remember Brazil? Button had to go out and win that to avoid putting even more pressure on himself in the last race.

    I can hardly call anyone who has several wins and two already this season, now leading the championship, and driving perfectly in many areas in both those wins as average. Granted, Button did have a poor weekend in Malaysia, but as i said in another comment, Hamilton has poor weekends too.

    ===========================

    Ok. Firstly i ll totally disagree with you to what you said. Because

    Yes Button charged in the first half of the season last year then BAM he seemed to become afraid. He might have charged in Brazil but hey thats what he did. Maybe he cam eto realize that in 08 he had a chance at that point became cautious. And I didn t see any exciting action from him as of the second half of that season.

    Whereas Lewis in both 07 and 08 charged in all races as far as I recall, irrespective of him losiing out on the first world championship.

    I mean a PERFECT EXAMPLE= last weekends race. Lewis started 2 places behind Jenson. Jenson did nothing in terms of overtaking, hence he s a play it safe driver. It is still early in the season and I hope all races are wet, which it was a good thing that Lewis gambled because he was able to duel Vettel directly which will be good for his psychological fights in races to come against these other strong contenders. I don t think because he made a bad blunder makes Jenson the better driver, in my opinion, it is how you recover from your decisions that makes you the driver you are. I mean this is Racing right, lets have some aggressive driving if it makes it more exciting. Let Mark Webber run to Christian Horner for help each time he gets chucked off the track. I think SUPERHAM bounced awsomly back today.


    Btw. I can see some people starting to throw sticks and stones please lets refrain from that

  • Comment number 83.

    corection to my earlier post i meant 09*

  • Comment number 84.

    Btw F1 needs to develop a rain technology system over the tracks.. Otherwise dry races will be so predictable. Bernie is very lucky it rained or it would have been a boring as hell race.

    Comeon Bernie put your thinking cap on and get that dosh out you re not going to take it with you in the grave!

  • Comment number 85.

    76. At 1:47pm on 18 Apr 2010, Ryushinku wrote:
    Sadly, what is being shown the strongest, is the fierce and widening schism between the Hamilton and Button fans. The second-guessing, the loud trumpeting of any advantage or result, the 'tear someone else down to build yourself up' approach is leading to a bitter rift that shows no sign of ever stopping nor indeed reducing.

    That's the saddest state of affairs in all this.
    Two people that should have their achievements held up, instead getting them respectively dragged through the mud for a sake of an egotrip.

    -------------

    lol, i kind of somehow agree with you. But i guess it s just passion about our drivers, no better way than to biccer about it with each other, we don t get this oppurtunity all to often :D

  • Comment number 86.

    I wrote:

    "The quality of the driving doesn't matter."

    lewishamiltonforever retorted:

    "So you are saying that you wouldn`t be suprised if Jaime Alguersauiri won the world title "

    No, I'm saying that you don't have to drive well to win races - and, at the end of the season, points are all that matter. As I also commented:

    "Final positions determine the points awarded, and points make champions!"

    People, yourself included, are lauding Lewis Hamilton for the quality of his driving - conveniently overlooking that this still only gave him secpond place today.

  • Comment number 87.

    REF LewisHamiltonForever and people like you...

    Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum...what might be right for you, may not be right for some...

    What are you talking about, Lewis?

    What bit of Button is he racist towards his,say, girlfriend? The Argentinian bit or the Japanese bit?
    please...enlighten me....

    The race?
    Got to don your cap to Button...I was one of those who thought it madness that he'd go to Team Hamilton...but he's pulled it off..good on ya...and keep winding up the Hamilton Fascionistas..

  • Comment number 88.

    I agree Lewis much prefers to go head to head racing, and that's what we prefer to see , whereas Jenson is much happier out front where he doesn't have to do that stuff. Nothing wrong with either approach. But if you're going for a title you sometimes have to take the safe option, pack racing leads to as much trouble as it does rewards. Hamilton being taken out in Melbourne is a good example.

    2009 became about consolidating the lead for Button. Ross Brawn has admitted that they stopped developping the car after Turkey and focussed on the 2010, only making minor mods to the 2009 car when it looked like things could get too close for comfort.

  • Comment number 89.

    Yes,Lewis did five exciting overtakes, but Jenson, running second, can hardly be criticised for only managing one .......

  • Comment number 90.

    People, yourself included, are lauding Lewis Hamilton for the quality of his driving - conveniently overlooking that this still only gave him secpond place today.


    By Mystery poster

    His tyres were shot at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thats my last comment for today

  • Comment number 91.

    Some of you people have got to stop all this Hamilton vs Button nonsense.... Anyone who is British and loves the sport should surely support both drivers. I think they're both extremely talented, - yes Hamilton is in most conditions the more racy of the drivers in terms of raw pace and outstanding overtaking maneuvers, but Jenson is also fast, and more of a measured driver, good on his tyres etc.
    Lewishamiltonforever, you should really stop posting stupid comments, because you've just called Jenson Button racist - where is your evidence for that?..... Then you've gone further and extended the racist tag to everyone who's posted on here that doesn't agree with your assertion that "Lewis Hamilton is the best driver in the world ever, and Jenson Button is completely useless"
    It's just not on.

  • Comment number 92.

    I don't have great knowledge about F1 but have taken a big interest in the last couple of years.
    It does seem that Hamilton does seem to have better out and out pace than Button, but today when Button asked about how close Hamilton was, he then went about putting out faster laps in order to create a large enough gap to be able to relax the last few laps.
    And for all the chat about Hamilton overtaking so many more, that's only because he HAD to overtake. When Button's out in front, who's he supposed to overtake? Just seems idiotic to me! Or am I missing something?

  • Comment number 93.

    Hey I have not followed F1 consistently until Lewis Hamilton announced his arrival. A few things I have noticed. Lewis Hamilton is more daring and his driving skill means he can move up the positions very quickly because of his never say die attitude. I think until Button can show that typ e of attitude and driving then one can say he is an all round driver. Then again one may argue Button is steady so he rarely gets into trouble, but if he does can he adapt? Does he have a plan B?

    Well its terms of WDC crowns both Lewis and Jenson are on a par with one apiece, but that si where the comparison stops.

    Lewis Hamilton is still relatively new to F1...this is his 4th season. Where as Button this is his 10th season. That is a huge difference. Lewis has won more points in his first 3 seasons than Button who hardly got a point well into later seasons. Lewis has been at McLaren for 13years. Its absolute nonsense and I am struggling to see what relevance it has. Or has Lewis Hamilton been racing F1 for 13 years and was not noticed. It's like studying and doing practice exams many times but you could still falter on the day of the exam. Its too early to start proclaiming Button the better Driver. The end of the F1 season is a better and smarter tim eto make that analysis.

  • Comment number 94.

    REF 90 lewishamiltonforever

    " Thats my last comment for today"

    Could you make that forever?............please?

  • Comment number 95.

    in their pre season interview both drivers were asked "wat do u prefer leading or chasing the pack"

    buttton said leading
    hamilton said chasing

    i guess this sums up both drivers and today's race

  • Comment number 96.

    It's real shame that certain comments on this blog have to descend to the sort of juvenile mud-slinging and ill-informed nonsense that all too often spoils the 606 Forum too. I am sure most of us reading the blog are real fans of the sport and prefer proper, polite debate and analysis.
    The criticism earlier above about the BBC being biased against Schumi is utter tripe, too. I thought that the questions posed by Jake and Martin in the F1 forum about Schumi's performance were fair, balanced comment and exactly the sort of robust journalism I'd hope to see on a BBC programme. I'm sure they'd pose exactly the same sort of questions to Mclaren management if one of the two Brit drivers was also way off the performance of his team-mate for no obvious reason.
    Incidentally, I also see a stupid comment on this blog about supposed BBC racism etc. What?? Well, message to Andrew Benson: I for one have been very happy with the BBC coverage my licence fee pays for and I hope the contract stays with the Beeb for longer. The online extras have been real value too, including this blog; others like from Martin Brundle, Jonathan Legard (and his commentary this year has been good stuff), Sarah Holt's and Jake's blogs and regular tweets; the race weather forecast blog, the live F1 text updates each session, the 'you choose a previous best race to watch' video feature and lots of other goodies including the red button service and iPlayer repeats. I hope someone on high at the BBC appreciates the value and we don't lose F1 in the UK onto pay for view sport channels, back to channels with ad breaks, or whatever.

  • Comment number 97.

    91. At 2:06pm on 18 Apr 2010, Jamie wrote:
    Some of you people have got to stop all this Hamilton vs Button nonsense.... Anyone who is British and loves the sport should surely support both drivers. I think they're both extremely talented, - yes Hamilton is in most conditions the more racy of the drivers in terms of raw pace and outstanding overtaking maneuvers, but Jenson is also fast, and more of a measured driver, good on his tyres etc.
    Lewishamiltonforever, you should really stop posting stupid comments, because you've just called Jenson Button racist - where is your evidence for that?..... Then you've gone further and extended the racist tag to everyone who's posted on here that doesn't agree with your assertion that "Lewis Hamilton is the best driver in the world ever, and Jenson Button is completely useless"
    It's just not on.


    What a LIAR I DID NOT SAY JENSON WAS USELESS I CLEARLY SAID HE WAS OVERATED.YOU NEED TO GET YOUR EYES TESTED

  • Comment number 98.

    I havent bothered to read the article because of the title of this article.. it's ridiculas.

    Hamilton has shown how much raw talent he has. To say Button is putting Hamilton in the shade is mis-leading and stupid. In normal race conditions, Hamilton has left Button in his wake.

  • Comment number 99.

    98. At 2:10pm on 18 Apr 2010, deperer wrote:
    I havent bothered to read the article because of the title of this article.. it's ridiculas.

    Hamilton has shown how much raw talent he has. To say Button is putting Hamilton in the shade is mis-leading and stupid. In normal race conditions, Hamilton has left Button in his wake.


    I TOTALLY AGREE AT LEAST SOME PEOPLE HAVE SENSE

  • Comment number 100.

    #82 by Mark Adler:

    Ok. Firstly i ll totally disagree with you to what you said. Because

    Yes Button charged in the first half of the season last year then BAM he seemed to become afraid. He might have charged in Brazil but hey thats what he did. Maybe he cam eto realize that in 08 he had a chance at that point became cautious. And I didn t see any exciting action from him as of the second half of that season.

    Whereas Lewis in both 07 and 08 charged in all races as far as I recall, irrespective of him losiing out on the first world championship.

    I mean a PERFECT EXAMPLE= last weekends race. Lewis started 2 places behind Jenson. Jenson did nothing in terms of overtaking, hence he s a play it safe driver. It is still early in the season and I hope all races are wet, which it was a good thing that Lewis gambled because he was able to duel Vettel directly which will be good for his psychological fights in races to come against these other strong contenders. I don t think because he made a bad blunder makes Jenson the better driver, in my opinion, it is how you recover from your decisions that makes you the driver you are. I mean this is Racing right, lets have some aggressive driving if it makes it more exciting. Let Mark Webber run to Christian Horner for help each time he gets chucked off the track. I think SUPERHAM bounced awsomly back today.


    Btw. I can see some people starting to throw sticks and stones please lets refrain from that.

    ==============================
    Yes, I agree with you that Button did appear to lose it a bit during the middle of last season, and a large part of that, in my opinion, was down to the car not being up to scratch. Everyone has wobbles, and makes different types of mistakes in one way or another. Button perhaps may have been too conservative, but Hamilton sometimes went a bit too far in the other direction too - e.g. China 2007 where he lost vital points with that silly pitlane mistake. He had time, and if he had not been so gung-ho, would easily have made the pitstop and regained the track. Even if he had lost a place, he still would have got good points which more than likely would have resulted in him being 2007 champion as well!

    In reference to Malaysia, there are many things that contribute to Button putting in a poor performance by his standards. He had poor set-up all weekend is a massive starter. Seeing Schumacher struggle with his set-up in today's GP so badly when he is still a quality driver shows how important hitting the sweet spot is. Hamilton obviously hit that sweet spot. It is no surprise that he finds it easier to hit that sweet spot. Button was confirmed quite late, and given the Hamilton-Mclaren relationship, there is no doubt that the car is probably, originally, more tailored towards Lewis.

    I agree with you on the experience of fighting two world class drivers in the form of Vettel and Schumacher (who for that brief period despite his problems showed that underneath that, his old self is ready to be unleashed) is good for Hamilton. And yes, his recoveries may, in time, help him learn and help make him a better driver, but in the present, it's the results which count, and Button is edging him at the moment.

 

Page 1 of 5

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.