bbc.co.uk Navigation

This page hasn't been updated for a while. We've left it here for reference More information
BBC2 BBC2
Bruce Parry

Belem: The End of the Journey

I've just walked into the vast expanse of water that is the Atlantic Ocean to give my last piece to camera of the whole shoot. I collapsed into the water, exhausted and somewhat lost for words. It wasn't deep as the beach went on for ages, so I just lay there in the shallows with the odd ripple of water washing over me, feeling tired but content. I tasted the water and sure enough it tasted completely fresh - hardly a hint of oceanic saltwater at all. So the Amazon is still master of this area. People tell me the fresh water continues for many miles out to sea and up and down the coasts. Quite remarkable really.

But although I have been reading many facts and figures about the meeting of these two massive bodies of water, my heart is not with the geography at all right now. Instead it is full of the memories of the people I have met on my journey. From Rodolfo in the High Andes eight months ago, to the Kayapo, it has been the people rather than the landscape that have shaped my experiences. Their faces and words are swirling round in my head and will be for some time to come I am sure.

So how am I feeling? Well, knackered first and foremost, I guess. I know that I've been living on reserve energy for a while now and I know from experience that as soon as I stop working I usually go into recovery mode (which generally means a lot of time in bed). I'm looking forward to that, but I hope that I don't suddenly get hit by too many illnesses which I've managed to keep suppressed while I've been so busy, as that has happened before when I finish a big trip. I'll know soon enough.

And other than my selfish feelings of the moment, I am also emotionally wrecked by the whole of this experience. New crew members have been looking at me a little oddly as I rant on about what I'm seeing here, especially in the last month or so. I feel that I may have gone a little insane. This whole experience has been quite a shock for me and I'm not too sure how I'm going to react to going back to the UK to be honest.

Ultimately I have seen the frontline of international trade and industry in many of its forms. I've lived with and experienced a little of the lives of the producers of some of the resources which we consume in the developed world. Natural resources which are generally not being replaced and the removal of which is destroying the environment where they are found. So much money being made with little regard for the communities and environment which is most affected by the removal. Organised crime, murder and so on. And I know that the Amazon is just an example of what is going on everywhere, all over the world. And even if I am not directly involved in the purchase of timber, soya or gold for example, I am involved in some other consumption which will no doubt be doing some other terrible damage to the environment and life in some other corner of the globe. Had we not been potentially affected would I ever have bothered looking behind the curtain of what is going on? Maybe not. But I have looked now, and I've seen some terrible stuff. Symptoms of our individual world of greed and fear, and it's scary.

But I haven't just met the producers of these resources. I've met indigenous people fighting to save their land and other bystanders who are fighting to survive as the forest disappears. I've also met some extraordinary people doing amazing things to help fight the destruction and to highlight the problems. And families and communities who are fighting back in the face of giant corporate power. These people are so inspirational and are at the frontline of the war here.

It's hard to imagine that my journey is now actually over. Scary really. I've worn a radio microphone and had a camera in my face for nearly eight months solid. Keith calculated that I'd had around 700 consecutive meals with workmates. I've almost forgotten that I have got a life and friends back home at all. This whole trip has engulfed my very being. I've lived and breathed the Amazon and this documentary series for three percent of my adult life to date. And now it's over. Bloody hell. What's been going on with the rest of the world for God's sake? How weird. I'll find out soon enough.

So now to the programmes. Hopefully we have been able to show some of these going-ons and highlight the problems of our blind uncontrolled consumerism, but it is hard to do so without making our audiences feel uncomfortable and want to turn over. And it's hard for me to express such findings without showing that I am as much a part of the problem as everyone watching at home. The big editing process is the next phase for those making this series where this sort of fine tuning can be accomplished.

I finally want to thank everyone who has been involved in the making of this epic series. All the researchers and producers, technicians and crew who I've got to know so well. Also those people who have been involved in the making of this website. It's been something of an epic for all concerned and it may be over for me for a little while but it certainly isn't over for everyone else. Thanks guys. It's been emotional.

Let's all take an interest and ethically vote with our wallets as well as the ballot to save the Amazon.

Comments

• 1. At 00:16am on 30 Aug 2008, filcher wrote:

Hi Bruce

I have been keeping pace with your epic journey for a long time and I cannot wait to see the edited article on TV.

I have great admiration for what you have achieved, not only on this journey but also on The Tribe and Race To the Pole.

You have shown tremendous courage and bravery to bring to us and the rest of the world a taste of the different cultures and tribes that still exist today.

A very big well done to you and your crew.

I shall lokk forward, hopefully, to your next epic adventure,

Regards

Phil

• 2. At 10:10pm on 04 Sep 2008, filcher wrote:

Hi Bruce

A very big well done to you and your crew.

I shall lokk forward, hopefully, to your next epic adventure,

Regards

Phil

• 3. At 11:40am on 07 Sep 2008, tonytonic wrote:

Thank you once again one and all. I do admire the guts and determination, the stamina and admiration of you guys and girls for helping us see whats going on. I have backpacked since i was 17 ( 48 now ) and i now take the easy route ( asia). The amazon, Oh man what an adventure. Respect to you all. Keep up the good work. Wish i was with you guys.
    Well done.

• 4. At 10:03pm on 15 Sep 2008, Radziejowska wrote:

I do admire and like Bruce Parry, and the programme is marvellous - but: I spent the first halfhour wondering about what crew was with him. It just doesn't work when he switches between 'I' (is he on his own filming himself?) and 'we' (who are we?). It's an 'adventure' but he's obviously surrounded by a crew - where are they? where are they staying? do they talk to the locals as well? It makes it somewhat surreal and unreal and one worries what is 'faked'. Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's journeys work so well because we meet the crew and know who is filming, but this feels odd and unsettling, though I don't want to feel this way.

• 5. At 2:10pm on 18 Sep 2008, Amazonteam wrote:

Thanks for your feedback about the programme. There is a small film crew with Bruce most of the time. Sometimes if he stays in a hut with local people he will film himself on a small camera - and many of the Bruce blogs on this website are filmed by Bruce himself using a hand-held camera. If you want to know more about the team with Bruce on his journey, check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/amazon/sites/team/

We hope as well that the blogs written by Bruce and other members of the crew on the shoots will tell you exactly how Amazon was made. Hope you enjoy the rest of the programmes.

The Amazon online team

• 6. At 09:19am on 19 Sep 2008, maislie wrote:

Dear Team
    I have been completely and unexpectedly moved by this first programme that I have just registered as a member to send you this.
    Thank you for putting your own lives at risk in order to bring this amazing piece of television to us although given the opportunity, I would have been right behind you. Can't wait for next Monday and am looking forward to the coming weeks. However, I also feel like I would like to do something to save this beautiful place and try and help restore a situation where it might again still be possible to be a 'brother to all'
    I can't get your graphic footage of the waste chemicals from the labs/bossa so casually emptied into this beautiful environment out of my head .
    Cocaine, to look at , fresh and gleaming white must seem so very clean but this film shows just how truly dirty and fake it is, and always has been.
    Bruce is right. It is emotional and if there is anything any of you have subsequently thought of /or are aware of that could or is helping out there , I know I won't be the only person interested to hear about it.
    Very best wishes.
    Is Bruce still in bed :)

• 7. At 11:49pm on 22 Sep 2008, Stephenl33 wrote:

Hi team,

I would just like to say I really admire what you guys and girls do.

You highlight problems that the west inflict on poor nations I hope the BBC keeps up its funding for what is a truely exceptional experience for both you and the viewer.

Best of luck bruce and the team

LOL

Stephen

• 8. At 10:43am on 23 Sep 2008, nowhingers wrote:

Dear Team,

I rarely watch television, but watched the first two episodes with my 13yr old son. This is television at its absolute best. Congratulations all of you. I hope the guy with the cerebral abcess is ok, that was a long time ago now, but so frightening to have someone so ill in a remote place.

What great commitment you all have, and what powerful audiovisual input this was. I think the hidden side of Cocaine and the oil industry is so awful as to be almost unfaceable. However your engaging and charming presentation in an unbiased manner cuts right through to show humanity still shining through.

A lot of vomiting though, my god, they do that every morning for breakfast! I dont think my son will try hallucinogens in a hurry either !

• 9. At 6:55pm on 23 Sep 2008, simonbet wrote:

hey bruce, thanks for being the child in all of us who does this. listen, the reason your ayahuasca vision didn't happen was because you were watching for it from the perspective of having to report it. it's not ego bruce, there's no such thing as ego beyond the singular All that IS learning to survive in and through each one of us. all that happened is that you got stuck in the loop of a thought. do it again brother, no cameras this time. let me know how it goes. . . simonawake@hotmail.co.uk

• 10. At 8:23pm on 23 Sep 2008, Manger59 wrote:

Hi Bruce

I am really looking forward to next week's programme with the Matis Indians. My brother spent time with them a few years ago when filming 'Jaguar Eater of Souls' with the late wildlife film maker, Nick Gordon.

I have all his photos from that trip and am really interested to see if I recognise any of the people.

My brother has since made his home in the Amazon and I am wondering if there will be a DVD released following the series as I would love to send it to him for Christmas?

I am an admirer of your work and have so looked forward to this series on the Amazon having visited myself in the last 2 years. It's a very special place and one I fell in love with on my very first visit.

Good luck with all your future projects.

• 11. At 7:19pm on 24 Sep 2008, philippevirginie wrote:

Dear Mister Bruce Parry,

I write you again......

JUST for to Tell YOU; The Work You've done ......

It is WONDERFUL !!!

YOU are a GREAT Reporter around the WORLD !

YOU seem to be Someone with Lots of HUMANITY inside YOUR Report !!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH...... !

MISS Virginia Philippe.
    E-mail: philippe.v.s@wanadoo.fr
    FRANCE

• 12. At 8:53pm on 24 Sep 2008, Perryjunkie wrote:

Hi there once more,

I forgot to mention that I have also been working in rehabs in South Africa as a social worker for about ten years. So I have encountered Cocaine and it's devistating effects. It leaves a path of destruction. Some of my clients have been used as mules travelling back and forth between South America and South Africa. They often refer to "Peruvian Snow" as the best and deadliest product on the market. This is a real problem. South Africa has become a lucrative port for drug trafficers. Therefor I really feel for the poor communities of the Amazon and their fight.
    The fact is: The modern Western world is feeding this problem by being the main market for the drug cartels. Thank you for portraying a realistic picture to us as to what is going on there. I appreciate the relevance of the show.

Regards,

Perryjunkie.

• 13. At 09:59am on 25 Sep 2008, LidiaDA wrote:

Hi Bruce

Thank you so much for your wonderful programmes. Your transparent affability and the pleasure you take in these wonderful experiences is a joy to watch.
    You allow allow the armchair travellers among us to dream for a little while.......
    Thank you also from my 5 year old triplet boys; they were feeling very low after a gastric bug ( which entailed copius vomiting)and whilst clearly not understanding the deeper significance of the shamanic ritual of the Achua, were hugely entertained by your own spectacular puking.In fact, they want to watch that bit again and again........

• 14. At 2:16pm on 25 Sep 2008, Amazonteam wrote:

Response to Manger59:

Thank you for your query about the Amazon DVD. The series DVD is being released on 3 November - it's a two-disc DVD of all six of the Amazon programmes and will be available to buy online and in shops.

The Amazon online team

• 15. At 9:13pm on 25 Sep 2008, eduardoliveira wrote:

Hi Bruce,

I’ve been seeing your program every Monday and when I can’t catch up I log on @ the Amazon web sit.
    It’s an amazing thing that you have done you and your crew! Showing how much beauty and bad things you can find through the Amazon.
    Like those people whom have to work doing coca (cocaine), because there’s not another way how to survive, to provide food for theirs families. The oil industry’s taking place in their lands, killing the fishes, the seas, where before use to provide much more food for the people of the island.
    But the fantastic thing to see accompanying your program, that the majority of the people of the lands, in the cities of Brazil, of their way of life, their rules, ones living so distant from the big city’s, the capital’s, from other people. Is that... they live their life’s really happy. That’s wonderful to see!
    I want to say that I really admire what you, your crew and the all BBC have done. A really well done for everyone!!!
    I just would like to ask you one question? Why have you chosen to do this program especially in the Amazon and not in any other part of the world?

Regards,

Eduardo

• 16. At 10:57am on 27 Sep 2008, Manger59 wrote:

Thanks to the team for your reply to my query re a DVD of the programme.

I am so pleased to hear this will be released on 3 November - that's sorted out my brother's Christmas present this year!

Please feel free to contact me on the email address I have supplied if any of the team ever need accommodation close to Manaus in a town called Manacapuru - I am sure my brother will do you a good deal at his hotel for you!

He is fully equipped there for any filming projects you may have in the area and if you need references please contact Caroline Brett who I am sure you know.

Kind regards
    Manger 59

• 17. At 6:49pm on 27 Sep 2008, magicShaunthesheep wrote:

Another great series from you.
    Enjoy a well deserved rest before another great series, I hope.
    You have inspired me to join survival international.
    Good luck for the future.
    All the best
    Lesley

• 18. At 10:29am on 28 Sep 2008, amazoniagirl wrote:

Hi Bruce

I am from Amazon Belem do Para,love all your journey you are very good reporter.
    I miss very much my amazon river and my people from the jungle.

All the best to you

Amazoniagirl

United kingdom

• 19. At 1:02pm on 29 Sep 2008, canaani wrote:

Hi Bruce,
    I don't know how to contact you directly but I hope this gets to you. Do you know that there are some Welsh Parry s living in Brazil, mostly in the north east, and in Belem.
    My Great Uncle was a sea captain who sailed from Liverpool to Belem and decided to settle there. He married a local woman. They had several children who had several children etc, and so the Parry s are well established over there. We have had many family visits on both sides over the years.
    You might be interested to meet them. You may be related.
    Contact me if so.
    BTW, I love your programmes.
    Ruth

• 20. At 1:18pm on 29 Sep 2008, camburi wrote:

Globo Brasil has published the following on their website today:

Data published today by the Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais (Inpe) reveal that the speed of deforestation in Amazonia has risen by 144% between July and August. This calculation, made with the use of satellite images, indicates that 756,7 km² were destroyed in August, an area equivalent to the municipality of São Paulo. In July, the same institute registered 323,9 km² of forest destroyed. In the state of Pará alone, 435 km² de forest has been lost. 29/09/2008 - 08h55 ( - G1)

In comparison to August last year, the speed of deforestation is even greater, reaching 229%. In August 2007 Inpe registered 230,2 km² áreas devastated.

In a few hours, the centres of deforestation will be visible on the interactive map Globo Amazônia, which shows the points of destruction of the forest, and enables the possibility for protest at the burning and destruction.

• 21. At 5:46pm on 30 Sep 2008, kiwimat wrote:

Dear Bruce and team,

I am writing to congratulate you on the series. Although I have only seen the first three episodes, the quality of the show is fantastic. I have signed up to this BBC site just to communicate to you how enjoyable and informative I have found the series. So far you have presented truly interesting aspects of the Amazon without resorting to the cheap tricks that are so prevalent in today's TV “documentaries”. Rather than trying to capture viewer interest with unrepresentative dramatics and quirky storylines, you have treated your audience to a fascinating, balanced, respectful, insightful, and entertaining glimpse into the Amazon.

Bruce’s child-like enthusiasm, inquisitiveness, and optimism contrasts well with his obvious worldliness and concern for the people and environment of the Amazon. The way he presents the various negative influences of the Western world on the Amazon is neither lecturing nor over-reactive. Issues are there for the viewer to see and absorb, without feeling preached to. We all need a reminder of potential impact that our choices have on places and people that are otherwise out of sight and out of mind. Hats off to you Bruce, and the Amazon team, fantastic job. I look forward to next Monday!

Mat from NZ

• 22. At 11:55pm on 02 Oct 2008, bwizzle86 wrote:

even though i am a huge fan of you and the show i cant help but think that you should not have entered some of the parts of the amazon where tribes who do not have contact with the outside world are being wiped out from white mans diseases such as colds and flus.

• 23. At 3:10pm on 03 Oct 2008, adambenj wrote:

I've just watched the first episode and its absolutely spectacular stuff - looking forward to the rest of the series. Thank you Bruce and the Team.

One question, the music for the series is really beautiful. I see, from a bit of initial research, that there are plans to release an "Amazon" CD but looking at the track list I don't think it's the soundtrack to the series. Do you know where I might be able to find a list of the tracks? I'm particularly keen on the Peruvian folk music from the first stay with the family at the start of the first episode, where the family give Bruce a Lama.

Cheers.

• 24. At 4:24pm on 03 Oct 2008, rich4thought wrote:

Hi Bruce,
    I watched the latest episode last night and was very moved by the plight of the Matis tribe. As someone who is going through a pretty tough regime for the treatment of my own Hep C it was very touching to see the tribe leader's daughter suffer so. You said the virus was Hep B. As I understand it Hep B can be vaccinated against. Why is this not happening? The cost for 250 members of a tribe would be far less than the cost of my Hep C treatment. Surely we can do something? If it was Hep C I could understand it, becasue it has no vaccination. If you organise a whip round for them getting vaccinations let me know I'll certainly send a tenner.
    I've just started my own blog about the process of treament. Do you find it as odd talking about yourself as I do?
    Thanks for going to the places where disabled people like me can never go. It sets our suffering into context.
    Rich

• 25. At 10:53am on 06 Oct 2008, geoCarla wrote:

Hi Bruce,

I just wanted to say what an inspiration you are! I have been thoroughly enjoying your latest adventures and think you are doing an amazing job of opening peoples eyes to very important issues.
    I absolutely love the Amazon and hope to see it for myself next year - a dream come true! Its such an amazing place and i believe everybody should be doing their bit to preserve and protect it and the tribes that live there. You are helping this cause immensely by promoting awareness which is exactly whats needed - knowledge is power!
    This series has had me glued to the screen and I can see just what a brave, determined, genuine, compassionate and amazing person you are - thanks so much and good luck on the rest of your journeys!

Carla - UK

• 26. At 11:41am on 06 Oct 2008, Amazonteam wrote:

Response to adambenj:

Hi Adam
    The Amazon CD released by Survival International is not the soundtrack to the series so the track you're looking for will not be on the CD. The music featured in the first programme was specially composed for the series and is not being released on CD unfortunately.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the programmes,

Best wishes
    The Amazon online team

• 27. At 3:04pm on 06 Oct 2008, astroabricot wrote:

I have just watched the program where bruce goes re-visiting the Matis tribe and finds the young girl ill with hepatitis. I was shocked to see Bruce carrying on his travels without helping more, as surely he could have given her the right medicines or make sure that she was going to be alright?

• 28. At 11:59pm on 06 Oct 2008, giovanebrasileiro wrote:

Oh please Bruce...I've been watching the series about amazon...Please Please..When in Brazil...DO NOT SPEAK SPANISH...I'm embarassed of listening you saying spanish words like ADIOS...(bye) instead of ADEUS.And I cringed when I hear SI(yes)instead of SIM...As Brazilian myself we are very proud of our languague...Try to brush off your portuguese as soon you step in Brazil.Brazilian Portuguese is a very melody languague and very musical...It sounds so nice too.I can not say the same about spanish,which is sounds rough,and vulgar.Please Bruce make an effort...As brazilians we feel very offended when people address to us in spanish.

• 29. At 09:49am on 07 Oct 2008, Donnajeffs wrote:

I watched Tribe and was inspired and once again Bruce Parry has me glued to my sofa on a Monday night. Amazon manages to put me in a positive mood for the whole week. Bruce Parrys good nature and willingness to throw himself into every task, become part of the communities he visits and make me want to see more of the world I live in, make this a must see for me. His bravery and have a go attitude, plus his ability to make friends beyond language and culture barriers is truly inspiring.
    Please make more.

• 30. At 11:51am on 07 Oct 2008, dizzydancer1983 wrote:

okay, i watched this and i just don't understand how they get the coca cola and the sofa and tv when they live in huts and fish for food, if they can buy coke why not buy food? I just don't understand, can someone please help?

• 31. At 7:46pm on 07 Oct 2008, giovanebrasileiro wrote:

to dizzydancer1983.What kind of world do you live in mr dizzydancer?To think if you live in a hut you can not buy sofa and tv and coca cola?At this day and age??In Brazil even if you live in a hut you have got your own tv,sofa,and other amenities.It is stupid to think we live in abject povery...(I think you mistake Brazil for sub sahaara africa).Even in the most humble placeS in brazil every household has got tv set,fridge,sofa and to spare satelite dish.In addittion they have got internet connection too.(wireless by the way).You can go to any shanty towns in Brazil you will be amazed what things they've got in their houses...Living in a hut does not mean you don't have purchase power.And by the way...when it comes to buy food.The forest provides everything you've asked for...I mean everything.Very fresh,organic,natural at your doorstep.No one goes hungry in Brazil unless you want to...Things that you pay over the odds in England in Brazil we have got in abundance.You europeans love this PATRONIZING vision of POOR and RICH.I think YOU ARE BETTER OFF LIVING IN A HUT IN THE AMAZON THAN LIVING IN A COUNCIL HOUSING ESTATE IN SOUTH LONDON...REAL POVERTY YOU WILL FIND IN A HOUSING ESTATE IN SOUTH LONDON.

• 32. At 8:06pm on 07 Oct 2008, Alex Hillier wrote:

My wife and I are completely hooked on this programme. The most wonderful thing that comes through loud and clear is how generous and warm hearted these people are. They do not have a lot by comparison the the seemingly affluent North American and European peoples but what they have they share without a thought of greed. I do wish though that more medicines could be sent to help. Like everyone, at least I hope everyone, who saw the Matis and their problems we were very moved and upset by their plight. Hopefully this piece of film will move the powers that be to get some sort of aid programme moving.

• 33. At 08:02am on 10 Oct 2008, kingofnikyo wrote:

Absolutely fantastic achievement, showing the world people and places that we would otherwise never see. Dont want the series to end, but for a future series what about looking at the cultures of the inhabitants across the great wall of China. I am sure there would be a lot of diversity and interest if the government would allow it. Best wishes for the future.

• 34. At 2:09pm on 10 Oct 2008, smcnee10 wrote:

Dear Bruce and co.

I love your programmme. I found it totally engaging, rarely do I feel like I am completely in the moment with a programme, oblivious to everything else.

The photography and music are wonderful, turning a documentary into an 'artpiece' as well. The shot of the girls trailing their hands through the water from the boats was particularly lovely.

Well done Bruce, your immediate likeability brings humanity to your subject.

• 35. At 9:52pm on 11 Oct 2008, superiorJacko65 wrote:

Bruce & Team,
    Brilliant series, sorry it's ending soon. Makes a change from the endless stream of reality rubbish etc.
    Makes you realise how lazy and self centred our lifestyles have become. When you see some of the poorest people on earth willing to share what little they have with you, it's very humbling. They may be poor in worldly goods but they are so rich in more important things!. Crack on and make another series as this one is too short.
    Kind regards and best wishes for the future to you and your fantastic team, I envy you all.
    From a frustrated ex squaddie who misses the travel to far flung places.

• 36. At 11:18pm on 13 Oct 2008, coolerchoice wrote:

at last a decent documentry about how serious we are affecting our rain forrests not only the people who live there but also the environmental effects it is having on our climate, very interesting, great tv and good story , there should be more documentrys like this one amazon is important to our world
    regards www.coolerchoice.com

• 37. At 12:10pm on 14 Oct 2008, allthingsindigenous wrote:

Dear Bruce Perry and team,

Thank you AND thank you all for an excellent series.

Your honest commentaries and fantastic portrayal of the celebrations and struggles of the many people who shared their lives with us have been poignant and inspiring.

This is also not forgetting the splendour and majesty of The Amazon. Its protection from the ravages of the greed of humankind should be within all our grasps

• 38. At 12:19pm on 14 Oct 2008, stmrn22 wrote:

Bruce and the team,

What a fantastic series! I must admit that I've been completely hooked. I was actually travelling in South America this summer and visited Peru and Brazil, though not the areas where you have been. It's great to be reminded of the glorious landscapes and warm people.

I have a short question. I love the music on featured on the series; will it be released at all on any format? If not, is it possible to know the track names to source them elsewhere?

Can't wait for your next project!

Regards, Chris

• 39. At 7:10pm on 15 Oct 2008, politeMonica wrote:

Having watched the whole of The Amazon series,and previous series,it is such a pleasure to see the warm and wonderful Bruce Parry.Having travelled extensively,he has never lost the kind and wonderous approach to the many people and tribes he has encountered. Always interested always inquisitive,but genuinely concerned that,change is not always for the good.
    Thank you to you and the great team along side you.........
    Good Luck for the future
    Bill Dowson

• 40. At 05:09am on 16 Oct 2008, goingtribal wrote:

Hello Bruce Parry & Crew,

My family and I truly enjoyed watching "Going Tribal" on the Discovery channel here in the United States. Unfortunately, we don't see it scheduled or airing anymore. Is your programme limited to the BBC UK now. Our cable company offers BBC but your show is not listed. How can we continue to enjoy your programme? Is there a DVD series available for purchase? Thank you in advance and I will await your reply.

Fondly,

Christina

• 41. At 09:46am on 16 Oct 2008, Amazonteam wrote:

Reply to goingtribal:

Hi Christina
    It's great to know you and your family enjoyed watching 'Going Tribal'. It's not available on DVD unfortunately - however, the Amazon DVD is being released on 3 November. It's a two-disc DVD of all six of the Amazon programmes and will be available to buy online.

The Amazon Online team

• 42. At 3:53pm on 16 Oct 2008, nik1982 wrote:

Bruce and team,

Just wanted to say well done for producing such a well documented story of the Amazon, and for covering every issue socially, politically and environmentally. I am a geography teacher and this series as well as others such as Tribe, give my pupils a valuable insight into the world of equatorial rainforests

All the best

Nik

• 43. At 10:45pm on 16 Oct 2008, moriani wrote:

Mr. Parry, I followed your trip with great admiration. I was amazed by the beauty of the Amazon but mostly by the people you met and presented to us with such grace and humanity. It was easy to tell that you really cared about them.
    Thanks for giving us this great window on a world we all should learn from.
    Sincerely
    Massimo Oriani
    Milano, Italy

• 44. At 10:03pm on 17 Oct 2008, amazonasnatalia wrote:

TUDO BEM
    BRUCE

IM NATALIA I WAS BORN IN MANAUS (BRAZILIAN AMAZON) BUT I GROW UP IN LETICIA (COLOMBIA AMAZON) IS IN THE BORDER WITH TABATINGA.

IM LIVING IN LONDON NOW BECAUSE IM STUDYING ENGLISH , I FELT REALLY HAPPY WHEN I WHACTED THE PROGRAMME WOW EVERYTHING WAS JUST AMAZING...

I CAME WITH THE PURPOSE OF STUDYING ENGLISH FIRST AND THEN BIOLOGY AND I WANT TO GO BACK WITH THE KNOWLEGDE ENOUGH TO MAKE PROJECTS FOR NON DEFOSRESTATION IN THE AMAZON.

I WILL BE REALLY GLAD IF I MEET YOU.
    FOR ME NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

THANKS A LOT

WAITING YOUR REPLY

NATALIA

• 45. At 3:12pm on 19 Oct 2008, philippevirginie wrote:

Dear Mister Bruce PARRY,

I've already Written YOU.....

I see that you've a latest Movie about Tribe in Amazon.
    Tomorrow, the 20th October 2008 by the BBC in England.

The Best LUCK to YOU and YOUR Team Movie in amazon !

The Work that YOU 've Done is Really GREAT YOU and All Your TEAM by The BBC !!!!

THANK-YOU !
    I've already written YOU by YOUR BLOG; I would like to Tell YOU about a French YOUNG Woman Calls "Emilie BARRUCAND"; This young french Woman was Too like YOU in Amazon TRIBE ! SHE Lives Between France/Paris and The Tribe calls "KAYAPO" in Bresil.....Goes to See HER WEBSITE is WONDERFUL !!!!!
    She Trys to SAFEGUARD or To Save the Indian or Native Tribe !
    Her Website is ONLY in French Language; So Sorry......IF YOU've in your Friends people speak French Language; asks Them...........
    EMILIE BARRUCAND, 27 Years old...........
    HER Website is : WAYANGA.ORG

BEST Luck TO you AND ALL tHE TEAM from the BBC !!!

I send to My Friend Carmela CHAPELLE IN FRANCE; who is also Explorer the Amazon Area Before with her Husband Richard Chapelle.

Best Luck To YOU !

Virginia PHILIPPE

• 46. At 3:13pm on 19 Oct 2008, philippevirginie wrote:

Dear Mister Bruce PARRY,

I've already Written YOU.....

I see that you've a latest Movie about Tribe in Amazon.
    Tomorrow, the 20th October 2008 by the BBC in England.

The Best LUCK to YOU and YOUR Team Movie in amazon !

THANK-YOU !
    She Trys to SAFEGUARD or To Save the Indian or Native Tribe !
    EMILIE BARRUCAND, 27 Years old...........
    HER Website is : WAYANGA.ORG

BEST Luck TO you AND ALL tHE TEAM from the BBC !!!

Best Luck To YOU !

Virginia PHILIPPE.

E-Mail: philippe.v.s@wanadoo.fr

• 47. At 5:06pm on 19 Oct 2008, pieterb4 wrote:

Well, I have enjoyed every moment of every episode (still one to come). The thing that really struck my heart is the friendliness of a lot of people.

You have done an excellent job of giving these people an audience. Although a lot of these people don't have the luxury we live in, they have something we miss altogether in this society, and that is peace in their hearts.

And it is obvious that you have them in your heart.

• 48. At 12:24pm on 20 Oct 2008, celloamazonia wrote:

AMAZONIA CALLING , 24TH FRIDAY 6 PM

QUERIDO BRUCE PARRY,

BLESSED BE YOU :)
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WORK, FOR YOUR HELP...
    I KNOW THE WAY YOU FEEL , EXACTLY LIKE YOU FEEL
    I CRY WHEN I SEE YOU IN THE AMAZON...INSTEAD OF ME
    YOUR SENSIBILITY FOR THE AMAZON ATTRACTED ME SO MUCH! NOW I HAVE HUGE DESIRE TO MEET YOU.

I AM FROM THERE , BELEM, I CAME TO ENGLAND TO STUDY MUSIC 6 YEARS AGO. I PARTICIPATED OF A DOCUMENTARY 4 YEARS AGO ABOUT AMAZON CELLO CHOIR FROM BELEM, PRODUCED BY MARK RICKARDS. I REALIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF.THE AMAZON, THE RIBEIRINHOS ,ALL THE HUMANS, ANIMALS AND PLANTS. THEREFORE, EVERYTIME I VISIT I DISCOVER,REDISCOVER, AND HELP IN MY LIMITED WAY. RECENTLY I BUILT AN NGO WHERE I WOULD LIKE TO ESTABLISH A NEW ARTISTIC MOVEMENT BASED ON THE NATURE, EDUCATION, AND PEACE.
    I ONLY WISH TO SHARE WITH YOU MY THOUGHS AND FEELINGS.

THAT WILL BE A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO LISTEN TO A VARIETY OF SOUTH AMERICAN MUSIC AND TO JOIN THE ARTS FOR A GOOD CAUSE.

PLEASE, COME IF YOU CAN, AND BE MY HONOURED GUEST.

ALL THE BEST
    DIEGO CARNEIRO DE OLIVEIRA

WWW.AMAZONART.MULTIPY.COM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WHAT YOU DID FOR US.
    APOLOGIES FOR THE WEBSITE WHICH I AM BUILDING.EVERYTHING, ALL THE EFFORT I PUT IS A HUMBLE INTENT TO HELP, SINCE I WAS VERY HELPED BY OTHERS HERE IN LONDON.

my email is [Personal details removed by Moderator]

• 49. At 10:13pm on 20 Oct 2008, goldenblondynka wrote:

thanks for this amazing, insightfull, very moving journey!
    I look forward to your next voyage.
    Hopefully we will all care after such a good stuff:-)

• 50. At 10:14pm on 20 Oct 2008, 2008jambyg wrote:

hello, just to say i love your epic series and it is so interesting and touching. you (Bruce) are the best person to do this joureney because you are so understanding and nice to the tribes !!!

by the way my favourite part was when you were on the logs in the water and they span round and nearly fell in the water :) that was funny.

i really do recommend that you do another touching journey because i loved this one. IM WITH YA BRUCE FOR THE AMAZON !!!!!!

From Jamie B.

• 51. At 10:17pm on 20 Oct 2008, 2008jambyg wrote:

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    please read my message i will be so happy if you do Mr. Bruce

• 52. At 10:18pm on 20 Oct 2008, 2008jambyg wrote:

when i watched the programme my face was smiling or laughing the whole time because it was so good !!!!!!!

• 53. At 10:23pm on 20 Oct 2008, Axelrod65 wrote:

Dear Bruce, you and your team brought me to tears with the last episode of Amazon. The people's message of injustice came across loud and clear and your timing could not be better. We have no right to be whinging on about the state of the economy when it's our system that is causing the problems in the first place.
    Everyone can make a difference and we need more Bruces to lead the way.
    My very best wishes to you all for a superb series - this is what TV should be about - well done.

• 54. At 10:24pm on 20 Oct 2008, Funkstar186 wrote:

Just had to sign on here to comment on how much I have enjoyed the last few months Monday night entertainment watching Bruce Parry and the Amazon team.
    This I feel is what the BBC do best. Real life top quality documentaries, with a cracking presenter like Bruce, who isn't afraid to get stuck in and really show what the whole tribal life is all about. I don't feel there is anyone better out there than Bruce to present these types of programmes.
    The whole series from start to finish has been epic. Every episode showing a different angle on Amazonian life; from what is left of the tribal people living off the land - to the people who are slowly tearing the rainforest apart. Nothing left out, never taking one side or attitude, and all looked at from a true perspective, with Bruce getting involved in every aspect.
    Well done Bruce. well done BBC. Proper TV.

• 55. At 10:25pm on 20 Oct 2008, eloquentBopo wrote:

So you have a name too?

You are tree with flowers and I am a stong tall tree.

Living up to your tribal name is not easy but I think you will.

Noone warned either of us of the responsibility it gives you . Fo me it is overwhelming .

Fabulous program Bruce.

People connect one by one

Bopo x

• 56. At 10:40pm on 20 Oct 2008, Jigsawn wrote:

Dear Bruce and the Amazon team,

I've never done this before for a programme but I'd like to thank you all for producing a brilliant documentary that's kept me and my housemates gripped every week (we usually just watch comedy on TV!).

I was quite surprised to see you only finished your journey in June - whilst I was sitting at work in UK just a few months ago you guys were trekking through the Amazon having all these adventures!

It was a very interesting programme with so many different stories and looking at both sides of the coin. One thing we really appreciated was to look at how the people really live there, and that they're just the same as me or you, trying to live out their lives in the circumstances they have.

I think you were right in highlighting in each episode the dangers and problems the Amazon rainforest faces. Although (as Bruce says himself) it can make you want to go off and watch something else - it's an important message and some of the information presented is quite shocking, like this episode's account of the 15 men who are trying to police an area of rainforest the size of France! It's things like this that put it into perspective - and parts like seeing Bruce in the helicopter in earlier episodes with nothing but trees on the horizon, compared to the scenes today of vast swathes of fields where once there were trees.

I thought it was very interesting from our point of view as objectors to rainforest destruction that the so called "bad guys" are usually just ordinary people trying to earn a living - it's a difficult situation - can these people be given other alternitaves for work?

I visited Costa Rica a few years ago and was amazed by the protected rainforests there and the incredible eco-system within them. Ever since then I have had an interest in rainforests. Unfortunately the Amazon doesn't have the same level of protection as Costa Rica and it's massive in comparison.

I guess one thing I'd like to know is what can we do to help the Amazon rainforest and its people? You guys have created an awareness I never had before about the situation and now I am really keen to help. But what can an ordinary person like me over here do? What organisations can we donate to which really make a difference? What consumer behaviour can we change? How do we know when something we are doing over here is having a knock on affect in Brazil?

Also, what alternitaves has Brazil got if it wants to become more developed? As my housemate pointed out, we all but destroyed the forests in the UK to make way for human development. Is there some kind of compromise that can be made - how can we persuade the Brazilian government to really afford to leave the entire rainforest untouched?

As you can see, your programme has really got me and a lot of others thinking. Aside from the big issues raised though, it was also entertaining, quite heartwarming and a truly interesting story. Thank you.

If you'd like to respond to any of these comments, please mail me at [Personal details removed by Moderator]

Regards,

Alan Stock, Manchester.

• 57. At 10:40pm on 20 Oct 2008, jennyvwilson wrote:

it really did bring tears to my eyes when Bruce made it to the sea
    How is it that so many people from so many diverse communities around the globe, in such remote places can be so taken by by one man
    A hero in his own right
    Thank you for being such an inspiration

• 58. At 10:44pm on 20 Oct 2008, Jigsawn wrote:

Also much respect Bruce for your hard slog and all the tribal rituals - you always got stuck into all the dangerous activities on offer! It was great to see you not just sitting back as an observer but really getting stuck in and helping out. You are a funny chap with a good, reasoned head on your shoulders, well done sir!

• 59. At 10:48pm on 20 Oct 2008, happy_t wrote:

Oh no! Am going to miss you so much now that the highlight of my week has come to an end! What a fantastic programme! Well done to all involved.

I really hope that people take heed of your message Bruce as we owe it to those people in that amazing country-we don't know how lucky we are do we? Although I do despair about the human race.

An incredible experience for you and one that we have been lucky enough to share with you.

You are a very special person.

Many Thanks

• 60. At 10:56pm on 20 Oct 2008, Jigsawn wrote:

• 61. At 11:13pm on 20 Oct 2008, RuthSwitzerland wrote:

Dear Bruce,

I truly enjoyed the series you presented.

It’s obvious why the Amazonians loved you…you are a great courageous and humble soul.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn much about the Amazon and making us aware of some serious issues.

I look forward to your next adventure

Well done!!

Ruth –Switzerland

• 62. At 11:29pm on 20 Oct 2008, elliemackay wrote:

Hey Bruce,
    I am a Sociology student at Goldsmiths college London. Although your stuff is generally confined to the realms of Anthropology I find it wonderfully interesting! Research is a huge part of my course and I would love to ask some questions about how you found the whole research experience? Was it hard to look at situations you encountered objectively? How do you think your presence as a reseracher affected the people you met and changed the whole dynamic of the situation? You seem to be very reflexive about your experience, are you aware of the affect it has on you as you a researcher as you go along, or does it hit you when you get back? Was it hard for you not to go completely native and never want to come back?
    Sorry to ask so many questions, but I think the part of the researcher is wholey over looked in research, and I wondered what your take on it would be?
    Also, any chance you could come and speak at my uni?
    I think you have highlighted some really important issues that we should all be mindfull of, perhaps the reason that we don't see, is because we don't look!
    Thank you so much for taking these adventures and bringing these struggles to the forefront of our minds!
    All the best, Ellie.

• 63. At 11:46pm on 20 Oct 2008, nitajane1 wrote:

Hi Bruce and Amazon team,
    Wow what a programme you've made,I've thoroughly enjoyed watching it over the past weeks and am in absolute awe of you Bruce,your spirit,kindness,and the way you throw yourself so whole heartedly into everything is amazing to watch.I think you have done a brilliant job in bringing the plight of the indigenous people of the amazon to our attention.I have never logged onto a programmes website before but the programme had such a profound affect on me that I just had to voice my opinion.The people of the Amazon asked you to let the world know,which you have done spectacularly but what now.What can we do to help stop the frankly heinous crimes being commited against humanity and the planet.

I hope you have had a good rest Bruce.I read that you live in Ibiza and can understand why as my sister lives there and I visit it all the time it's a great place to chill and unwind even in the winter.

I really hope you have some more adventures in the pipeline

All the very best to you all and thanks again for a fab programme.

• 64. At 00:11am on 21 Oct 2008, mrchrisgreen wrote:

Thank you Bruce and the entire team who went and filmed 'Amazon' - it is such a brilliant and special series in my heart.

You have given the British people an insight into a world that is both ravaged by corporations and yet loved by its inhabitants.

If only the whole world will listen to the message of the people you met - life is not a journey to a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, it is living under the rainbow itself.

• 65. At 00:34am on 21 Oct 2008, luminiere wrote:

Whilst this was an amazing series, which provoked much thought and raised many questions, I always, always want to ask - what now? Apart from preaching to the converted, it seems that governments need to be lobbied and challenged. not the British viewer. Has anything been done to try and ensure that lands belonging to the tribes remain in their possession., or is this another case of an upper middle class Englishman being paid to have a fantastic South American adventure

• 66. At 08:57am on 21 Oct 2008, dunchingdave wrote:

Great programme, beautifully presented by Bruce and to start with very informative. But I think it fizzled out into political messaging.Watching Bruce Parry in the Amazon last evening I could not help but notice that despite not having a grasp of either Portuguese or the Kayapo language, Bruce, from the immediate responses he gave in English, did clearly seem to fully understand the statements being made in a foreign language. This did give the impression that the innocent indigenous Indian was only uttering force fed words to assist the producer in getting his message across.
    The Amazon series started as an interesting and informative programme giving the viewer the opportunity to make up his own mind about the region.
    Having watched the programme through, it actually ended up being a propaganda driven political messaging series that showed extremely skilfully the television producer’s ability to force feed the viewer with what the producer wants to put across.
    What a pity that we saw so little of anything else on the Amazon other than the (albeit indigenous) Indians.
    David

• 67. At 10:28am on 21 Oct 2008, Sarah-the-Gooner wrote:

Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic! What more can I say? Bruce and the Team have once again shown us an otherwise unseen world of beauty and wonder, and really brought home some environmental and heartwrenching personal battles of the people and communities he has met - what an incredible man, and what an incredible journey to add to the other incredible journeys he has taken us on in the past.

Well done to all concerned.

Sarah

• 68. At 10:34am on 21 Oct 2008, creusa2 wrote:

Thank you Bruce and your team for a riveting series about a place which is so hard to get to know other than being there. The photography was wonderful. I particulary enjoyed the clear divisions you and your editing team made between the social/cultural interest and the political concerns you wanted to make. Yet I don't think you could have produced such a rich piece of media without acknowledging these connections do exist since life is in reality intertwined.
    I would love to know how your production team got permission to film in clearly illegal and dangerous situations...knowing that this will be aired to millions of people all over the world...
    It is difficult for us so far away to stop and think every time we consume something sourced in the Amazon Basin, that this contributes to its demise. In my opinion this rests with governments and trade organisations. Unfortunately now is a difficult time for governments to remember those individual faces and families who are so devastatingly affected by our consumerism. But I will always remember the faces of the children...innocent victims of a world they have no real contact with.
    A good job well done, Bruce et al. Where to next? (G).

• 69. At 11:33am on 21 Oct 2008, peajay35 wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Thank goodness for programmes like this which show us what's really going on in the world and which encourage people to question their own consumerism. I was a member of Friends of the Earth about 20 years ago and used to tell my family/friends about these environmental issues but was told it was all just 'scare-mongering' - I guess people believe what suits them most of the time (means they don't have to be accountable). I hope the programme did make people feel uncomfortable and they didn't simply turn over to watch 'let's make lots of money, buy a house, do some d.iy.etc 'rubbish which seems to make up the majority of 'entertainment' these days. It made me feel uncomfortable (about soya), but I see that as way to learn something valuable.

I don't know what you're doing next (after the big sleep)but you do make a good presenter for these issues, as you do it in a well-rounded way and are honest about your own discomfort. I hope you can continue to open our eyes - although I wonder if you feel you have the weight of the world's problems on your shoulders...perhaps if more of us felt even a little like that, it would spread the load (as long as we take action)!

• 70. At 11:51am on 21 Oct 2008, jameshar wrote:

Hi Bruce and team
    What a fantastic series, and as Bruce said the Amazon is as much about its people than anything else, more than enough reason to make activists out of us all when we see the pressure the Amazon region is coming under.

What the series also showed was the complete vastness of the region and in particular Brazil, where most of the Amazon basin is located. My wife is Brazilian and we travel alot all over Brazil, but in 8 years we have barely scratched the surface.

I hope you sell the series to a Brazilian TV channel; this is not a criticism of Brazilians (I wouldn't dare) but as Bruce reported last night 15 officers to patrol a region the size of France shows the scale of the issue; the region is so vast you can actually still go there and lay claim to land. They are the guardians of this region but need and deserve help, the UK goes into melt down when we have a few leaves on the railway lines so they are doing their best to try and contain the problems under the circumstances. As Brazil's profile raises and with it being most closely associated with this region hopefully
    the current plight of the Amazon will be magnified.

You approached everyone you met along the way with style and humility and they responded in a consistently genuine and compassionate way. It would be great if you could revisit some of the tribes and regions again in the future to see if things have improved or at least or at best not got any worse.

Well done again Bruce and all the team..

• 71. At 12:12pm on 21 Oct 2008, Karina_lovethewild wrote:

Thank you Bruce and the whole team for this. It is first class documentary film making - worth the BBC licence fee on its own.

I hate to say it but you did look absolutely shattered at the end of the filming - your body ravaged physically by exposure to constantly changing terrain and emotionally to changing cultures and issues. I wonder did your body 'shut down' at the end of it all?

What has also struck me about this series is that you got emotionally involved in the issues (much to your surprise I think?). In the Tribe series you have remained totally impartial, an observer despite being part of the tribes ... able to detatch western values away from what you have seen. However, in this journey the river and its people have pulled you into the heart of the issues and you have not been able to only stand and observe.

Now that you have been back in western society and had time to reflect on what you have seen, I wonder are you as impassioned as you seemed at the end of the journey... has that passion been converted into a vision of something you can see yourself actively doing to create a future for the amazon and its people?

Best wishes
    Karina

• 72. At 12:12pm on 21 Oct 2008, changiboy1972 wrote:

Hi Bruce,

congratulations to you and all the team another great programme.

It would be nice to be given more info on how we westerners can help.

We all sit in front of our TV's thinking how awful the situation is for the peoples of the rain forrests but being proactive viewers would be far more useful.

I know you pointed out that our thirst for hard wood is keeping these people in business. Is it like Borneo where three of its ministers own logging companies?

Reddie Leo from Bario, Sarawak guided me earlier this year and knows you from your Trekforce days sends his regards from the depths of the Kelabit Highlands!

P.S whats next for Bruce and the team??

Best wishes
    Lee

• 73. At 12:42pm on 21 Oct 2008, Sukey wrote:

Thanks, Bruce and Crew, for a fabulous series. My sons (11 & 8) and I have been glued to it and it certainly has opened all our eyes to the beauty of Amazonia and the perils it is facing.

We will certainly be looking out for opportunities to help and wonder what we can do to try and prevent further destruction of the rainforest. It's an issue everyone's aware of, but the programme has really brought it home.

Thank you all!

• 74. At 1:25pm on 21 Oct 2008, casumptious wrote:

Massive thanks to Bruce and team for a superb epic journey.

Fantastic filming, enjoyed from begining to end, very inspiring. And will get people to reflect on issues afecting the rain forrest and its habitants

Bruce showed great courage and warmth with all the people he spent time with wich came across very well in the programe.

Hope he is getting a well earned rest mentaly and phisicaly....

Look forawrd to another adventure ...

Many thanks Caroline..

• 75. At 2:03pm on 21 Oct 2008, Glwenda wrote:

What a very interesting and informative programme. I was aware that the Amazon was on the edge of destruction but unaware of the feeling about it within the Amazon area itself.

It is difficult to balance the needs of ever expanding poplulations, with the needs of the natural world especially when they see westerners rich lifestyles. Even though the indigenous people might live what we would call a simple life they have so much that people in the west no longer have and seem better human beings for it.

I hope the programme was not just preaching to the converted and has opened up a lot of other people's eyes.

Thank you to Bruce and the gang for taking us on a fabulous six week journey. Looking forward to the next one!

• 76. At 3:02pm on 21 Oct 2008, sleepingAnn wrote:

Hi Bruce and your team

Thanks for sure a lovely series about the Amazon. Seen programes before about this area but this beats the lot.

I think it was great the way you spoke to the people as if they could understand you and the same when they spoke to you. It took me a while to work out how it was done. Great work by the editor so we did not have to listen to the interputer.

In the last episode you spoke of the cutting down of the trees and the vast areas that it covered. Years ago this was talked about and remember that Sting was backing this with a song. So well done Bruce and the team for bring it all to the front again and maybe people will remember.

I hope the BBC will repeat this series again as myself and husband really enjoyed and I'm sure we missed something but would catch it next time around.

Could go on and on but all the comments before mine have said everything that needs to be said.

Once again. Well done Bruce and I will also be looking forward to your next expedition.

Ann and Keith

• 77. At 3:45pm on 21 Oct 2008, petmaldsl wrote:

Having watched the last series and this Amazon series I must say Bruce is AB/FAB.!
    The way he relates to the various peoples of the area and the way they relate to him,taking him in to their homes as if he is one of the family really makes for brilliant television.
    He shows so much that he really cares for the way they live,but more importantly he cares for their future prospects.
    The only down side is: I fear that he is fighting a lost cause against the greed and inhumanity of the outside world.
    Looking forward to his next series and many thanks to the BBC and the team who
    work on the series.
    Regards,
    Peter Moloney
    Dublin

• 78. At 6:51pm on 21 Oct 2008, eviledna2008 wrote:

I just wanted to say thank you for producing such an amazing programme and telling the story of the Amazon. I now want to do something to help protect the forest. Can you advise on some organisations that work with the different tribes who are fighting to protect their home?
    Also I can't help feeling dismayed that the relevant governments don't employ more people and invest more money in the Amazon forest's protection. How short-sighted can you be? Will the human race never learn the lessons of history?
    I hope that this series is shown as part of the school syllabus so our children are inspired as much as I have been. Thank you again and bring on an exploration of the melting ice caps I say!....

• 79. At 7:08pm on 21 Oct 2008, megabenson wrote:

Thanks Bruce and team for hours of enjoyment. I am not a fan of television as a whole but I made sure not to miss a second of this excellent series .I must say at times I was more than a bit concerned about Bruce,s health . He seems to have lost a lot of weight since his "tribe" days but in the last programme he appeared to have come back to himself.thank god for that. What I would like to know now is when he is heading off again on his travels. Monday night just won,t be the same without him and the team.

• 80. At 9:07pm on 21 Oct 2008, Perryjunkie wrote:

Hi Bruce,

I am proud of you for not being scared to face the horrible truths of this world, such as you have done these past eight months.
    Have you heard of secondary trauma? Some times we are exposed to other people's traumas and it affects us negatively as it should since we are all connected. So we also need emotional and physical debriefing. I wish you and the team a well earned rest, knowing that you did a great job and brought an important message back to the 1st world.

Your remarkable ability to connect with people on all levels is impressive and made all the difference to the outcome of this series. You left something special and real in the lives of those indigenous people, and you listened to their plight. This is the biggest gift we can give one another. Because we all want our voices to be heard...

• 81. At 9:25pm on 21 Oct 2008, famoussouthamerica wrote:

Thanks Bruce for hours of such wonderful programs of the amazon. you are such a brave person, i do admire your strenght and determination. I think you have done a great job by highlighting the importants of the rainforest and its resources, i am sure the natives of the amazon is greatful for this too. As a desendant from the wapisanna and arawk tribe i take my hat off to you... god bless

• 82. At 09:04am on 22 Oct 2008, jennijean wrote:

Bruce and the Team

Yet again i was glued to the TV, hats off to all you do. I hope it will make people stop and think before they buy wood!
    The Indigenous people's way of life is to be respected, i find it very sad that greed in the modern world is destroying all they know. After your last series i went to the 'Conservation International' website and donated to an acre of rainforest, its not much but every little bit helps.
    If i ever win a few million on the lottery i know the first thing i will be doing with it!
    hope you will be back on our screens again soon.
    but for now enjoy your rest.

jennijean x

• 83. At 09:26am on 22 Oct 2008, Amazonteam wrote:

Response to dunchingdave (Comment 66):

Hi David
    Many thanks for your comments on the Amazon series. It may be of interest to you to know that interpreters were used extensively throughout the making of the programmes. They translate everything which is said so that Bruce can understand and respond. Sometime we do show the translators in the programme - and also in clips on the website - but often their translations are edited out so as not to effect the flow of the programme. We can assure you that contributors who appear on the programme are never briefed as to what to say or do and are free to make whatever point they wish.

We hope this helps to clarify the filming process a little.
    The Amazon online team.

• 84. At 11:41am on 22 Oct 2008, Annaupton wrote:

Hi Bruce and the team
    I have just watched the last episode of Amazon, it has been a joy to watch but also quite hard as the issues it raises are complex and serious.It is easy to sit in a comfy arm chair , enjoy the programme and return to the comfortable routines of our lives. The hard thing is to know what to do about what we have seen and heard.I hope that I, and others ,feel committed enough to make changes to the way we live and that those in positions of authority and power have the wisdom to make the right and timely decisions!

Thanks for raising these issues and bringing it to our TVs.I hope you readjust to life 'back home' easily!

best wishes to you all
    AUpton

• 85. At 2:46pm on 22 Oct 2008, jennylemon wrote:

What an absolutely amazing show, it's really opened my eyes. Like you said in your blog Bruce, it's time for everybody to start taking individual ethical responsibility. Apart from that though, I was wondering if there was anything big we could do to help, like if there's anywhere that accepts donations, or if it's possible to volunteer doing anything, because I was so moved by it and would love to help, and sure others must feel the same?

I know it was ages ago, but hope the transition coming back to England wasn't too hard for you all! Can't wait for what's next :)
    Jen xx

• 86. At 11:03pm on 22 Oct 2008, guboah wrote:

Hi Bruce and the BBC Wales team. Congratulations on an incredible piece of work. I read the biography of AR Wallace (the co-author of the theory of evolution) earlier this summer who cut his teeth in biology collecting specimens for many years in the Amazon basin. He'd have been proud of the presentation you made here. Pure observation, no stones let unturned, and no preaching. I'm not sure it was your objective but this was journalism of the very best stripe.
    Really very good indeed guys.

I'm left comforted that the indigenous people are battling hard for their cultural freedom and their territories, and I pledge my support for them.

• 87. At 08:12am on 23 Oct 2008, SANDRO_FONTES wrote:

hello Bruce, i m Braziliam and i live in oxford-uk, im so proud of you... you have no idea how much, see everythink from England make me very special, obrigado por tudo e pela forma como voce tratou o meu povo e mostrou a realidade do meu pais, ver essa reportagem como foi feita me fez torna se seu fan, e de pessoas como voce que esse mundo precissa, so de lhe enviar estar mensagem estou muito emocionado e ao mesmo tempo muito feliz de saber que ainda existem pessoas como voce, lhe desejo toda felicidade do mundo do fundo do meu coracao, obrigado abracos. sandro fontes ( THE BEST DOCUMENTARY FROM BRASIL, MY COUNTRY. THANK'S BRUCE YOU ARE SPECIAL)

• 88. At 12:24pm on 23 Oct 2008, sarahmagdalen wrote:

I have been very moved by the series and i am left wondering what is the way forward for us when so many people are unwilling and/or unable to find sustainable ways of living? the west will not stop using oil or cocaine until there isnt any left to use. i wish there was more i could do other than watch the pictures and feel bad about the whole thing, if you have any suggestions i would welcome them.

sarahmagdalen

• 89. At 1:38pm on 23 Oct 2008, dunchingdave wrote:

Response to the online team Amazon team Message 83
    Thank you for your message and I appreciate what you say and believe it. The Times recently described Bruce in 'Amazon' as beautifully non judgemental. My point is that I think this is the case at the beginning of the series which made it so interesting. I believe the impression was spoiled by judgements being passed towards the end of the series.
    In addition I find it difficult to understand how a fully encompassing programme on the Amazon (difficult anyway) can ignore some areas of interest:
    - Brazil has a statute in place stipulating 4 trees be replanted for every one removed. The statute has been in place since 1938! It is just the principle of the law that has not been upheld locally.
    - the Jari River project - in itself a failure but a most interesting development of the 70's including the world's largest single floating transport operation.
    - the involvement of Belem in the slave trading business
    - the fact that Castania trees have not been permitted to be felled or exported for many years throughout the Amazon (not just in indigineous peoples' reserves).
    - That Castania wood is not suitable for use as timber due to unusual stress in the tree. This has been tested.
    - The building of the Tucurui dam on the Tocantins river - I believe this was the first of a planned four dams of which I think the Xingu is the 2nd.
    etc etc
    I am not making any judgements here - just pointing some more features of the Amazon of which inclusion would have been of interest in the programme.
    David

• 90. At 8:28pm on 23 Oct 2008, LilicaBR wrote:

Hi Bruce,

I am Brazilian and have been living in London for over 8 years.

I just wanted to say that I loved the series... it was very touching but very honest too and I appreciate the fact that you tried to show all sides of the jigsaw.

Many times I had tears rolling down my face and I felt embarrassed by the fact that I - as well as most people - am not doing much to help those people and our beautiful forest.

It is all very easy o sit here in the comfort of our homes and criticize others for not doing anything, but how about us? What are we doing? Is it enough?

A big thanks to you and your team for providing us with such a great opportunity to open our eyes and start thinking of our accountabilities; but also for showing the beauty and importance of this incredible part of South America.

• 91. At 9:22pm on 23 Oct 2008, LilicaBR wrote:

Hi Again,

Just wondering if there are plans of showing the programme in Brazil or if it will be released with Portuguese subtitles.

I strongly believe that Brazilian people will hugely appreciate the programme. Many people may be inspired to act in the same way I am.

And following some other comments it would be great to get more information of NGO and charities, which are carrying out interesting projects in the Amazon.

Thanks again,

Lilian

• 92. At 01:27am on 24 Oct 2008, actraider wrote:

Congratulations to you and the whole crew for showing us in easy-living UK the wonders and troubles of the Amazon regions and the world.

I have only watched a few programs, but watching the last one has really made me think about how we are really damaging not only the Earth but also the lives of people who live there and have been protecting it for centuries.

It's about time that they get there time on camera (you said how they knew the power of the camera) to basically say that you chop down the trees, they will be in trouble as will the rest of the world.

In the end Global Warming is due to too much CO2. The gas which plants and trees can convert back to O2 - the stuff we need to survive but less and less plants and trees to do it.

Thanks for the series and I hope it gets some actual results from more important people than me

Andy

• 93. At 3:35pm on 24 Oct 2008, sandytlee wrote:

Wow! I watched the last episode and feel like I went on that journey myself. It is more about discovering people then places, and that is very unique quality.

Bruce, you are my (not)secret crush!

• 94. At 00:15am on 25 Oct 2008, giovanebrasileiro wrote:

I loved your programme Bruce.As brazilian myself you made me feel really proud.It has been 10 years I live in England never saw such marvellous documentary.You have a brazilian soul,beaming with smile you came across really genuine.Amazon is not only the green lungs of the world but its people too.What you presented in your documentary we all in Brazil we are aware of.The plight ,the struggle,the loggers,the mines popping out every day(my uncle still works in one),cattle ranchers,the indigenous tribes,well everything was trully magnificent presented by you.. The BBC should grant you a slot in its schedules at prime time.Negative point...The woman in the crew who wrote something she has not a clue about it...Sack her...Apart from that we all hope we have more programmes like this on telly from now on...QUALITY...

• 95. At 9:19pm on 28 Oct 2008, Betobrazil wrote:

Bruce and Team

What should I say? A massive THANKS for the hard work and for the brilhant result of it. I've read all the comments posted here. Some nice, some not too nice, but all valid. In the end of the day, what we all want to say is: Thank you Bruce and Team for showing us the REAL AMAZON FOREST. There are more things going on there than our limited imagination can picture.
    You and the Team (not all at the same time lol) are more than welcome to join us one weekend here in Rugby (free food and accom) as a way to say thank you guys for the brilhant job. Well done to you all.

Hope to see you soon.... if not in Amazon... here at our lovely Rugby Town.

Take care

Roberto & Family

• 96. At 2:00pm on 03 Nov 2008, Amazonteam wrote:

Message from the Amazon team:

Thank you very much for your interest in the Amazon and the many issues which arose as a result of the programme. To find out more about the Amazon and some of the many organisations which are active in the Amazon, visit this page:

The Amazon team

• 97. At 10:11pm on 03 Nov 2008, asil75 wrote:

Fascinating, horrifying, touching, unforgettable. Just a few of the words I can think of to describe this excellent piece of work.

It's a shame you've had to condense the experience into six hours but what an insight into a geographically and spiritually rich and immense part of the world that is, for all intents and purposes, completely defenseless.

The issues and topics you've touched on deserve further exploration (not necessarily by your weary selves) and should be promoted and aired with the prominence and gravitas they deserve on the beeb.

Well worth the license fee, anyone who says otherwise is an ignoramus. Keep up the good work.

• 98. At 04:35am on 14 Nov 2008, bhutanssb wrote:

dear all - sorry to change tack, but I couldn't find another way to contact the tribe team.

I'm currently living in bhutan and just returned from a trek to laya where we played the Layap episode of the 3rd series to the villagers.

They really enjoyed it and requested if I could send them a copy. obviously I can't make a copy of the orginal DVD, so if the team is OK to make a copy for them, please get in touch with me.

I have some pics of them watching it, but can't attach here to show you all

Thanks a lot

• 99. At 8:25pm on 20 Nov 2008, krispfc wrote:

hi bruce and the team .
    i watched your amazon series a while back and was so inspired and moved by the courage of yourselves .what a great job you have done it was amazing to see the true nature of our planet . i hope it has raised everyones awareness of how important our rainforests and all its habitat are to our world . iwish i could have been there with you . bruce you are an absolute legend you should be knighted for your work . thanks again .i hope theres more to come . kris in portsmouth

• 100. At 03:44am on 15 Feb 2009, luckybigjonnie wrote:

Alright Bruce just saw your programe and loved it but i felt sorry for that monkey you ate hope it filled a space remember Planet Of The Apes sleep tight wee man ha ha

• 101. At 2:30pm on 03 Mar 2009, marques-mortimer wrote:

It's amazing see our Amazon being reported on a spetacular production! But It's terrible know how we are destroying the mother-forest and the biggest river!

As a brazilian I can say that your sense of journalism was right to show how different are the people that live in the forest and how the destruction of it will affect everybody!

Well done!
    Getulio Marques

• 102. At 11:30pm on 03 Mar 2009, kyePitman wrote:

Hi bruce, amazing, thought provoking to say the least, i am a student and.... this series has been an inspiration and a challenge for my future aims, we must change attitudes of the everyday person, local, regional, national and global. telling stuff, well done indeed.

• 103. At 3:30pm on 09 Mar 2009, OxfordEthnoFilms wrote:

Dear Bruce Parry and team,

Oxford Ethnographic Films, a society run by Visual Anthropology students at Oxford University, would like to get in touch with you.

We frequently invite makers of (arguably) ethnographic films to Oxford to present their work to members of the university and engage with them in fruitful, sometimes heated, discussions.

For one of our April sessions, we would greatly appreciate being able to welcome one of your team members to discuss how ethnographic film content can be communicated to a BBC mass audience.

If you would be so kind to drop an email to frerk.froboese@anthro.ox.ac.uk, that would be great!

Thanks very much!
    Frerk Froböse
    Student on the MSc in Visual Anthropology
    Oxford Ethnographic Films

• 104. At 5:33pm on 16 Mar 2009, blackswan wrote:

Dear Bruce,
    I thoroughly enjoyed your programme on the Amazon. However, one thing I found irritating. Several times you mention that

More than 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon rainforest

Although this is an oft repeated factoid, I have never had the privilege of reading the scientific study that proves this.

First, we need to differentiate between gross primary production (photosynthesis and chemosynthesis) and net primary production (=photosynthesis - respiration), which means that much less oxygen is actually released. For mature plants, that are not growing anymore net primary production is theoretically zero.

this is for instance Thomas Lovejoy, a well known Amazon researcher :

Rainforests provide important ecological services. Once thought to be a major source of oxygen and known as the lungs of the world, it is now clear that rainforests are at best a marginal net provider of oxygen. They do hold an important stock of carbon (were the Amazon to be deforested it would be equivalent to 15 years of current annual increase in greenhouse gases) and may actual remove a small amount of CO2 from the atmosphere every year.

Even when considering just gross primary production, 20% for the Amazon sounds very high, considering 50% or more of oxygen is considered to be produced by phytoplankton in the sea. According to recent a study in Nature, reported here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090218135031.htm puts carbon absorption of all tropical forests at 18%.

So please, enlighten me, what recent scientific study confirms that "More than 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon rainforest" ?

• 105. At 3:37pm on 24 Mar 2009, Margaretlynne wrote:

Thank you Bruce and the team with you for your wonderful work regarding the Amazon.

My son gave me the book Amazon for my birthday, and your tv series followed. I was thrilled to read and then watch each episode. It has given me a new insight into this beautiful, intriguing place in another part of the world; to realise just how much we are all interconnected globally. How each individuals life can have an impact on another's no matter how far away - be it in our own environs and/or by making others aware.

Well done. I look forward to seeing some of the other series that you have completed and/or are busy with.

• 106. At 10:53am on 25 Mar 2009, greatparryfan wrote:

Bruce, I think you are an incredible soul and an incredible man.
    I have enjoyed Tribe so much and marvel at the human being you are and the incredible experiences you have had.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing of yourself and your work.

Wish I could help in some way.

• 107. At 9:04pm on 01 Apr 2009, mytravelphotoblog wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Just let you know, you made a great adventure. And to show to the rest of the world, the destruction of the rain forest.

I liked all the episodes, especially the first one with the family you stayed with. Very touching the way the people are so friendly.

But from the point of view, from my friends in Peru. They say they would like to have seen more about the flora and fauna to be shown.

What’s your next adventure ?

Cheers Bruce

• 108. At 10:10pm on 11 May 2009, KristinaBrooker wrote:

• 109. At 08:29am on 04 Jul 2009, Bucho_NZ wrote:

This series is awesome Bruce and now you've got me hunting out your previous work on other shows. On 8 June 2008 when you posted this entry I was also in Amazonia, on an island in the Rio Guama. I lived there with riberinhos from January to July of that year, learning from and about them and making trips into surrounding areas like the city of Belem and the village of Sao Domingos Do Capim where the annual pororoca river surfing championships are held.

So much of what you said in this post resonates with me, how the people you met and spent time with swim through your thoughts and dreams, how it's weird to come back home and the way you find yourself searching your own soul for the way you and your values and culture relate to the cultures of Amazonia, where people have so much less opportunity compared to more developed parts of the world. I have also been back for a year and this stuff is on my mind every day.

So thanks to you and your brilliant team for bringing this series to life, seeing it on screen makes my heart ache to return to that epic and legendary place but it also reinforces the love I have for it. I salute you all.

- Ben "Bucho" Hansen.

• 110. At 05:03am on 06 Jul 2009, josephinenz wrote:

I am in New Zealand and have just watched the final program Bruce made about the Amazon.

I would like to thank him, I honestly can say it is the most interesting program I hae ever watched. The area and the people have always interested me.

I found it so amazing the way you just fitted in with the native people Bruce, you took me on a journey I would love to go on, but now will never beable to

So thank you once again

Josephinenz

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites