Happy Songkran Day
The situation in Thailand is so terrible and I am waiting for the end of this story. Here at my city is far from Bangkok 2 hours. I have to say sorry for everyone who passed away from this violent situation. Just big dog bites each other. Hope they think about the others not only themselves. Put down the real gun to plastic one with water.
The announcer at the well-known channel had worked her duty. Violent news from the speakers told what situation is. Leaving the eyes from serious situation, people were preparing the celebration of the water festival that coming in the day after.
Songkran Day was our Thai New Year on 13th April of every year. The festival was the simile of zodiac moving. The Aries to Pisces. We used water in the meaning of solving the hot season. At the meanwhile that the sun moved into Aries, the water was poured to the others. Its meaning was to give the others delighted. The old people gave a wish to children. The more you wet the more you rich (wealth). Sonkran Day was a family day, people who worked in a big city back to their hometown, to see their family again. Family was important for us.
From the pass, we used the normal temperature water with flower and scents (perfumes made by Thai formulas) then put in a small bowl ('Kan' is called by Thai word. To bail water out from water container.) We used perfumed/ children powder to put on the cheek. We poured a few water and used powder. Just for making people get less hot from summer.
Now a day Thais and International tourists jointed us with the plastic water gun. If you were here you would see many Thais on the behind of a pick-up with a big plastic bucket were set and people ready stand by. Then we were going around on the road, fighting with the other by water. Water festival became water war. That was better than the real war.
Whatever, the weather here could melt our breath. What my family did in every year?
For us, we woke up in the morning then went to temple and made a wish with Buddha image. Many Thais came here at the same idea of me, make a wish and listened the teaching of Buddha. We were wishing to have a good life, wealth and health. My city was not having a big celebrate because we were waiting for Wan-Lai at the 19th after. Pouring water to the Buddha image on the 14th of April (somebody made this thing on the other days within 13th , we were late one day) was meaning to give us happiness. Water was pouring on the metal liked the image was made from a gold. In the same time, to pour the water on the Buddha image was to clean the image. The dust was cleaned. When our home was clean, it brought the happiness to family members. Though I was not a millionaire but I was happy with the simple life. I was wishing you all happy and had a good life.
Do and Don't on the water festival
- Do Wai (make a respect to parent or older family member) and thank you them for their help firstly.
- Do go to temple, bringing the favorable thing to yourselves and family (to think of the others when you get the happiness.)
- Do pour the water properly; you are in the water festival not the World War II. Do not put the gun to the head.
- Do use Din Sor Pong (natural talc) with people just a little. People prefer p This Din Sor Pong can be the beginning of relationship between man and woman. The man should use just a little otherwise woman who you interested will be a Japanese doll before you see her beautiful face. Powder gently at both cheeks. Do not powder the eyes, or improper place. In the polite way, please ask before powder and say 'Sawaddee-Pee -Mai Krab(M)/Ka(F)' (Happy New Year.)
- Do check a piece of ice in your bucket. Somebody aims to see the other enjoy and happy with cool water so, they put a piece of ice into the bucket to cold the water (Normally we do not use). Make people cool down from the summer, don't freeze the others. Do not use a big piece of ice otherwise people can be getting hurt.
- Do use clean water only. I think you know the reason. Though, we cannot check the root of river. Do not ask people who pour on you.
- Do not use a simple sun block protection, please use the strongest sun block otherwise you will change to be a red lobster.
- Do wear the simple as short pants and dwindling upper-body shirt. Do not wear a thick suit, it becomes a stone when it wet. Anyway, if you really do not want to wet, wear the formal dress code then make your hair as you go to the gala dinner, though you are going to 7-11 (convenient store). People will shock and surprise with that style in Songkran Day. Do not wear only underwear. It does not proper.
- Do not bait the fish by lure. Though you have a helmet, raincoat, or bathing cap; remember that it is not a good assistant. When people see you, you will wet at the first second you walk out of the door.
- Do say 'Yes' , and final the sentence with 'But just a little'. They will let you have alive until tomorrow. Do not say 'No' at the first place you see water gun. Unable to catch you say No, the water is pouring down on your body immediately.
- Do not drink Alcohol until you drunk for you have to concentrate with the water plastic gun and your aim. Actually, you will get high temperature easily and make more problems after.