Friday 10 August 2012, 11:20
This week's Memory Tapes comes from Mr Bob Arthur, who writes....
"A few years back, I was returning to work following a long-term off work due to illness. Unsurprisingly, getting back into the swing of things was pretty damn stressful. However, armed with a new phone with Internet radio on it, I was able to tune into 6 Music for the first time, and it'd be no exaggeration to say it was a huge help in maintaining my sanity while getting back up to speed--especially in conjunction with other Internet music discovery services.
"When Christmas came round that year, as the illness had been a bit of a strain on finances, I was looking for something I could make to give to our friends. It'd been years since I'd made up mix tapes, but only a few months with 6 Music had opened up more avenues of interest--old and new--than I used to find in years.
"So I made up the first compilation, and it went out to a few friends. And it's become an annual thing--the third was made up last Christmas, and it seems to be circulating further each year. The tracks are loosely based on the music I'd been listening to each year, so not constrained to music actually released that year."
Bob sent us through tracklistings for a couple of years, but we went with 2010:
1. Katzenjammer - Overture + Bars in Amsterdam
2. Operator Please - A Song About Ping-Pong
3. Liam Frost - Your Hand in Mine
4. Caro Emerald - That Man
5. Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
6. Jesca Hoop - Four Dreams
7. Steve Mason - Lost & Found
8. The Broken Family Band - Twelve Eyes of Evil
9. I Am Kloot - To The Brink
10. The Duckworth Lewis Method - Jiggery Pokery
11. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - You Won't Let Me Down Again
12. Grinderman - Worm Tamer
13. Gil Scott-Heron - Me and the Devil
14. Ruth Theodore - False Alarm
15. Plan B - She Said
16. Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip - Get Better
17. Sage Francis - The Best of Times
18. Janelle MonÃ¡e - Tightrope
19. The Jim Jones Revue - High Horse
20. Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves
You too can email Lauren your Memory Tape. You should!