Desert Island Disco: Dance Floor House Party Smash
Ashley Team Laverne
Today's party tune selector is David Newman from London, and he's not pondered, wondered or thought too much about his selection, it's just a few of his best tunes off the top of his head, so therefore it's raw and visceral:
Dance Floor House Party Smash
Here’s a few tunes off the top of my head
- Rock Around the Clock – Bill Hayley | First record I danced to.
- One Step Beyond – Madness | First school disco, moon stomping.
- Hands off she’s mine – The Beat | Youth Club, 2 Tone braces, Tonic Suites and suede heads.
- I Believe in Miracles – Jackson Sisters | 80’s Sound revival
- Champ – The Mohawks | Camden Palace 86
- Raw Silk – Do it to the Music | Hammersmith Palais
- Expansions – Lonnie Liston Smith | Rare groove classic, some great soul and funk was being played in all the clubs at that time. Some long Night bus rides home from the Old Kent road, Samsons
- And some clubs in Tower Bridge road. Can’t seem to remember the name.
- Fools Gold – The stone Roses | The start of a new Era
- Promise Land – Jo Smooth | The Wag Club 88
- Someday – CC Rogers | Wag Club
- Raise – Bocca Juniors | Future Monday Night, Balearic Beats. A very tough Tuesday morning, hardly ever made it into work. Saying that, I probably hadn’t been to work Monday after being still up from Saturday Night……..A very memorable time! 20 and not a care in the world.
- You’re Gonna Miss Me – Turntable orchestra | A very Blurry Night somewhere in Lea Bridge Road, East London.
- Take Me Away – True Faith | Limelights early 90’s
- Dreams of Santa Anna – Orange Lemon | Summer of Love, pretty much every do in London was playing this.
- Dancing in Outta Space – Atmosfear | Probably my favourite dance track of all time, also a great remix from MAW.
- Papua New Guinea – FOL | Still never get bored of this track, a kaleidoscope of sound.
- Qual E – Macelo D2 | Storming Dance Floor Filla
- Hang on in there Baby – Jonny Bristol Our 2nd dance at our wedding.
- Contradiction – Total Experience | Back to mine, winding down
- In the Land of Milk and Honey – Vicki Anderson | Amazing drumming at the end of the track.
- Let me clear my throat - DJ kool | Dance Floor house party smash.
- The Midnight Special – Credence | Doesn’t look like a dance track on paper, but a real grower. A living room stroller, with my 4 year old son on a Saturday morning.
- Waiting for a train – Flash and the Pan | Just of the dance scene in Rock and Rolla
- Battle Theme – Nu Tone | Great track for entering London in a car in for a night out. Just oozes Urban London
- Going Back to my Roots – Richie Havens | impossible not to dance to.
- Let me love you for tonight – Kariya | Maybe the best, not sure. Probably spent the most time imaging I had some killer dance moves, to this track. I remember people having dancing battles together to this in 88. A very nostalgic track. Dancing music at it’s peak
Remember, we want your party tracks! Send your best to: firstname.lastname@example.org.