BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say
« Previous | Main | Next »

Brit Awards 2011: Did the right acts win?

23:01 UK time, Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Tinie Tempah walked away with two prizes at this year's Brit awards, claiming best British breakthrough act and best single for Pass Out. Did the awards go to the right acts?

The coveted best British album gong went to Mumford and Sons for Sigh No More and Take That scooped the best British group trophy.

Plan B was named best British male and Laura Marling won the prize in the best female category.

There were also prizes for Rihanna, Cee Lo Green and Arcade Fire.

Did you watch the Brits? What do you think of the winners? Who would have chosen?

Thank you for your comments. This debate is now closed.

Comments

Page 1 of 3

  • Comment number 1.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 2.


    WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH !!

  • Comment number 3.

    It seems that for foreign acts to win all they need to do is turn up. Cee Lo Green, Rihanna and Arcade Fire were the only acts in their catagories to go and they all won. It needs to be moved further from the Grammys to get better acts on the bill. If they put the BAFTAs two days from the OSCARs nobody would bother going to that either (not that many non British did anyway)

    Plan B was very good though

  • Comment number 4.

    Brit Awards 2011: Did the right acts win?
    ------------------------------------------------
    Since I did not watch the Brit Awards I couldn't possibly say.

    Just one question though, if foreign acts are allowed to enter it, why is it called the "Brit" Awards?

  • Comment number 5.

    Another sycophantic back-slapping drivel-fest. This years first silly season has begun. Ridiculous self-congratulatory ceremonies for the undeservedly rich.

    Talent in the music industry died way before the millennium, when 'Brit' Awards were considered serious enough to warrant respect. Now it's all about the tedious showboating from acts of dubious yoof-friendly quality. Who on earth are most of these people anyway?

  • Comment number 6.

    Not again. Please address issues of interest to the public.

  • Comment number 7.

    Glad to see Plan B and Cee Lo Green got awards, can't say I agree with Mumfords getting best though.

    I see that the "they don't make music like they used to" brigade are already here, bemoaning the fact that {choose your favourite classic pop/rock artist here} weren't on.
    It's a shame that so many people of my generation (I'm 56) sincerely believe that current music has nothing good to offer.

    Okay, I agree that there are a lot of people making what Dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip would call "repetitive generic music" which - outside a club atmosphere - offers little that is new or worthwhile: However, those are just the modern equivalent to some of the rubbish that was served up previous eras. Don't even get me started on the dark underbelly of 1960s music, all those Beatles and Stones wannabe bands! And in the 1970s what about all those "progressive" bands doing 15 minute tracks of pure noisy self-indulgence, or later in the 1970s 20 minute disco loop tracks that just went on and on and.... We mostly remember the good stuff, but there was always a hell of a lot of dross around too.

    But, be happy! There are still some great albums and singles coming out, and the degree of invention (Plan B's album being a prime case in point) is often amazing. Some of the oldies on here, bemoaning the state of music, should listen to acts like The Script, Elbow, Cee Lo Green, Mutemath, Animal Kingdom, Deadmau5 and Olly Murs before they conclude that modern music has nothing to offer that they might like.

    I agree that the products of the music industry don't have the centrality to so many people's lives that they used to, but that doesn't mean good music is not still being made: It is. Open your ears, you boomers!

    Alan T

  • Comment number 8.

    Never heard of half of them, and most of them are complete rubbish in my opinion. No wonder the music industry's dying. Last time the "right acts" won was probably in the 90s.

  • Comment number 9.

    I saw on the news that Tinie Tempah ( hey, whacky, off the wall spelling there ! /sarcasm mode off ) has already had a number 1 single. A number 1 single eh ? How many singles did he sell ? 4 ?

  • Comment number 10.

    Many many congratulations to the stars of this thread. No not the Brit Award winners whoever they are; but those at HYS who selected this topic. It is guaranteed to generate loads of contributors all propounding their own choice of muzak and rubbishing the choice of others. Brilliant but meaningless.

  • Comment number 11.

    Did you watch the Brits? What do you think of the winners? Who would have chosen?

    No I didn't watch the Brat awards, I've never heard of any of your list winners and I sincerely hope that this backslapping nonsense was broadcast on a commercial channel with not one single penny of the licence fee wasted on it.

  • Comment number 12.

    This is worthy of a HYS debate? SERIOUSLY....

  • Comment number 13.

    Why ask the question AFTER the event? Is HYS run by the BBC or the Daily Sport? I do wonder sometimes.

    Any chance we could discuss some REAL issues for once?

  • Comment number 14.

    Is this luvvie-fest of any relevance to the real world?? All we have is bunch of self-congratulatory numpties, hugging & mwhaing each other & then a few grab a microphone & issue a monotonous, meaningless chant!

    If I were to stand in the middle of the venue & start chanting "thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa" would that get me huge award & swarms of crying luvvies..???

  • Comment number 15.

    ooooh.... Laura Marling won the prize in the best female category ahead of Cheryl Cole? Shock, horror!!

    or maybe is was because one was a talented song writer and accomplished singer and the other was a manufactured, girl group member, who's main claim to fame is that she married a footballer?

    Well done to Mumford & Son also... by far and away the best album of last year!

  • Comment number 16.

    @chrislabiff

    Music is an extremely important part of daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world.

    Good acts picked-up awards last night. However, I'm troubled that the mainstream music purchasing majority don't listen to the technical perfection sometimes offered by classical music that has travelled through time from the 15th century and beyond. Sublime pieces by Antonio Vivaldi, Bach, etc. I respect all forms of music but it seems that simple music created by simple music alchemists (some technically trained, and some not). If you haven't already done so, I urge you to go and hear Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons at St Martin in the Fields, London. You will be stupified with its beauty and wonder how you ever took modern pop seriously.

  • Comment number 17.

    "Did the right acts win?"

    No idea, I've never heard of most of them.

    Right, now we've got that out of the way...is there any danger we could discuss things that are a bit more important than this drivel, please BBC? Thank you.

  • Comment number 18.

    I didn't realise that the bloke from the Halifax ad could sing.

  • Comment number 19.

    14. At 08:46am on 16 Feb 2011, W Fletcher wrote:
    Is this luvvie-fest of any relevance to the real world?? All we have is bunch of self-congratulatory numpties, hugging & mwhaing each other & then a few grab a microphone & issue a monotonous, meaningless chant!

    If I were to stand in the middle of the venue & start chanting "thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa" would that get me huge award & swarms of crying luvvies..???
    ___________________________________________________________________

    Given the apparent intelligence of today's UK masses, yes I think it probably would get you an award. In fact that is such a good idea, how about we do a duo ? You do the "thumpa" bit and I'll intersperse with "Kaboom". Given the seriousness of this thread, anyone else care to join our duo and become a group ? (Think X factor).

  • Comment number 20.

    We've degenerated from Beethoven to rap "music" in 200 years. What a bunch of self-important, talentless nobodys. Need I say more?

  • Comment number 21.

    #7 Alan T.

    Good to have 'mature' ears that, like mine, are not deafly prejudiced against the current music scene which is nowhere near all bad. And, like all awards, the prizes go wherever the industry wants them to, good, bad or indifferent. It is irrelevant really. Let your own ears and taste be the judge.

    I just wish there were more places to listen to whole tracks for free in a "before you buy" online world of choices. And do we really need recorded music almost completely removed from the high street. It just seems like a social deprivation too far.

    And, BBC, can we have HYS items on the matters that matter and not the stuff that doesn't because it really is irrelevant who wins an award?

  • Comment number 22.

    16. At 08:53am on 16 Feb 2011, The Word wrote:

    @chrislabiff

    Music is an extremely important part of daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world.

    Good acts picked-up awards last night. However, I'm troubled that the mainstream music purchasing majority don't listen to the technical perfection sometimes offered by classical music that has travelled through time from the 15th century and beyond. Sublime pieces by Antonio Vivaldi, Bach, etc. I respect all forms of music but it seems that simple music created by simple music alchemists (some technically trained, and some not). If you haven't already done so, I urge you to go and hear Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons at St Martin in the Fields, London. You will be stupified with its beauty and wonder how you ever took modern pop seriously.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    You are quite correct. The emotional range, virtuosity, and depth of character, the personal involvement in the vast classical catalogue just cannot be matched. It's like comparing Shakespeare with Eastenders. Don't get me wrong though, because there is plenty of pop & rock music that I do like, including music produced in this era. It's just that when ever I listen to the classics, it's like drinking a fine wine, when previously I'd be drinking cabbage water. Just listen to this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c3XvNZ3ns4

  • Comment number 23.

    what a waste of money

  • Comment number 24.

    I usually watch the Brits but missed it this year and from what I can gather I'm glad I did.

    The list of winners doesn't really appeal and I've heard James Cordon was arwful.

    I suppose gone are the days of a great show with great presenters such as Chris Evans, Davina McCall or Ben Elton.

    Doubt I'll bother next year either.

  • Comment number 25.

    I should think that most of the people who post on here, wouldn't be interested in watching the Brit awards. And less inclined to comment on who won them.

  • Comment number 26.

    The Brit Awards are nothing but a cynical marketing exercise by the multinational corporations who run the music biz, and as such are tedious and irrelevant.

    If you need to be "told" what music to like by an awards ceremony, you are clearly not a real music fan.

  • Comment number 27.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 28.

    What a load of garbage !

  • Comment number 29.

    4. At 02:47am on 16 Feb 2011, Challis wrote:
    "Brit Awards 2011: Did the right acts win?
    ------------------------------------------------
    Since I did not watch the Brit Awards I couldn't possibly say.

    "Just one question though, if foreign acts are allowed to enter it, why is it called the "Brit" Awards?""

    Yeah, they're bloody everywhere aren't they, these foreigners! They're even winning "Brit" awards! Outrageous. FYI - there are international categories, and as far as I am aware, foreign records are available in Britain.

  • Comment number 30.

    Who are these people....???

  • Comment number 31.

    What serious drivel!

  • Comment number 32.

    I don't care, if this is 'music' then we are doomed!

    I haven't heard of most of them so life goes on for those in the 'real' world I guess.

  • Comment number 33.

    gosh their are some snarling old fogeys on this board today! Dont answer if yve nothing interesting to say. Would be useful to do a demographic study by class and area. Id imagine most posters on these "Have Yr Say" message boards are home counties, over 50 and quite to the right politically.
    Thought show was excellent even though i hadnt heard of some of the acts. Was v pleased mumford and Sons got best british album and Arcade Fire picked up 2 awards-their show in June at Hyde Park must be the stand-out live show of the year esp with Mumford and Sons on too. Groups like these 2 together with Script and Adele are great music-listen to it!

  • Comment number 34.

    I cannot bear the term "Brit" - it conjures up, for me, all the dross that fills our media pages and air waves....

  • Comment number 35.

    No, I didnt watch it, I've no idea who won what, and who I would have chosen is, in all honesty, no one at all.

    BBC, I know that this HYS is you just indulging yourselves in your industry awards but it really is all totally pointless, it's of no importance whatsoever. It's not worthy of an HYS slot when there are so many more important things happening in the world.

    There are far too many of these awards, the fact that there are so many means they become devalued and meaningless, time for a cull, time to drop the BRITS altogether.

  • Comment number 36.

    Didn't watch the awards but I'm pleased that Tinie was recognised for the great work he has churned out over the last year - I expect him to be around for a very long time.

  • Comment number 37.

    What - yet another deeply philsophical subject from the BBC !- Personally I would rather watch paint dry than have watched "The Brits" -yet another self-congratulation society !along with "Oscars", "Golden Globes" and "Best Garden Gnome" awards! It seems that so often the winners in one year are history by the time the next awards come round - how good can they actaully be ?

  • Comment number 38.

    First things first. No-one is forcing you to post here. You are not the world. Other people are interested in this topic even if you aren't. If you're just coming on here to say something like "Can we have a real topic please" you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.

    Right. I think Mumford and Sons were a blindingly good choice for a gong! Also, I thought they were very brave performing that acoustic version live. Paloma Faith was a little sharp in her duet with Cee-Lo, but she made up for that with her verve and enthusiasm. Still not sure The Suburbs is the best AF album, quite partial to Funeral and Neon Bible still, but worthy gong winners nonetheless.

    So all told, yeah, largely the right acts won. And it's good to have a celebration of music in these troubled times to cheer us all up.

  • Comment number 39.

    to all those complaining (especially those who admit that they havent heard of the winners) can I ask why you feel the need to contribute to this article? Ignore if you wish but please contribute to something that you know something about in future

  • Comment number 40.


    >>Re: #32. At 09:45am on 16 Feb 2011, Daryll wrote:

    I don't care, if this is 'music' then we are doomed!

    I haven't heard of most of them so life goes on for those in the 'real' world I guess.

    ====================

    Do you mean you haven't "heard of" or "heard" most of them? I'm guessing the latter, in which case your comment contains an inherent irony that you may be unaware of? Please see my post at #7.

  • Comment number 41.

    I see the miserable old sods are out in full force. Apparently entertainment topics aren't worthy of discussion because THEY'RE NOT IMPORTANT DERP DERP

    Come on, lighten up! Not everything in life has to be about politics and misery and left-wing conspiracy and stuff. If that's all you ever talk about, then what miserable lives you must lead.

    That said, none of the right acts were nominated, let alone awarded.

  • Comment number 42.

    20. At 09:05am on 16 Feb 2011, GeoffLiberty wrote:
    We've degenerated from Beethoven to rap "music" in 200 years. What a bunch of self-important, talentless nobodys. Need I say more?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Self-important talentless nobodys". Sorry, Geoff who ?

  • Comment number 43.

    john smith and steveo77-save606: Couldnt agree more-see my post above yrs. Why these people feel the need to bemoan something and post about it, defeats me esp as they admit theyve never heard of the acts. Following on from the awards last night i think its a perfectly reasonable subject to air views about. These people remind of those who pay to watch football matches then boo all game! Maybe its the fault of the big society...

  • Comment number 44.

    Yes, I'm sure the acts who won fulfilled the judges arbitrary measures for being better than the acts who didn't win.

    All these awards are pretty meaningless, how can you possibly determine if one pop song is intrinsically 'better' than another one? Art is all down to how it makes us feel inside as individuals. One man's Take That is another man's Vengaboys.

    I think Tinie Tempah has done some reasonably good stuff, but now he has 2 Brit awards should I start thinking he is brilliant? I've got a Chilli Peppers CD in the car at the moment but I'm not sure if they've won any Brits, can somebody tell me if I should enjoy their music?

  • Comment number 45.

    Who cares just another luvvies night out ; utter rubbish

  • Comment number 46.

    Challis wrote:

    Brit Awards 2011: Did the right acts win?
    ------------------------------------------------
    Since I did not watch the Brit Awards I couldn't possibly say.

    Just one question though, if foreign acts are allowed to enter it, why is it called the "Brit" Awards?

    ======================================

    They are called the Brits because if my memory serves me right they were organised originally by Britannia Music.

    There is also as well a separate event for Classic Event

    Did the right acts win depends on your point of view of music.

    As far as I am concerned there are only two types of music good and bad.

    My own music collection ranges in date from 1920's to 2010

    And covers mainstream artists as well as artists that are less well known

    But these days to say that you have had a number one record based on sales be it cd's or downloads is ridiculous.

    Selling 30,000 or so to get a number one only a few years ago sales like that might only just have got you into the top 40

  • Comment number 47.

    Wait a minute .........you're telling me they actually give awards for this type of 'music'!!!!!!!

  • Comment number 48.

    Seriously tho' it's interesting to note which professions give themselves medals & awards, i.e. the ones with the biggest egos.

    "Hey, iv'e won an award"
    what for?
    "oh, i sang a few songs"
    "hmm i operated on a 9 year old girl today & saved her life"
    "yea, but did you get an award?"
    "nope, ...something much better"

  • Comment number 49.

    I switched over to the Brit awards for a few seconds last night in which they had announced that Take That were to be nominated for album of the year.

    I'd seen enough already.

  • Comment number 50.

    4. At 02:47am on 16 Feb 2011, Challis wrote:
    "Just one question though, if foreign acts are allowed to enter it, why is it called the "Brit" Awards?"

    I think it's rhyming slang for something. . .
    (ironic, really as nobody there appeared to be able to pronounce the lettes "r" "t" or "d").

    Obviously I didn't watch anything but the shortish report on the BBC News Channel, but was rather amused by how pleased everyone was that the British Urban scene had gained so much recognition and that we have finally found a voice for our inner-city poor. Such a shame that this voice appears to be a rather facile pastiche of stereotypical American urban clichés. A bit like Cliff Richard being Britain's answer to Elvis really. . .

  • Comment number 51.

    Who cares? The Brit Awards are nothing to do with music, and everything to do with the here and now culture in which we live. How many more times will "prizes" go to edgy, urban music because that's the trendy thing to do? Real talent doesn't get a look in at this type of award ceremony; it's all about product placement, endorsements and selling rubbish to people stupid enough to fall for it. You'll find plenty of "Brit Award" labelled CDs down the charity shops in a few month's time; when people who don't like music but wish to appear hip buy them and then realise they've been had.

  • Comment number 52.

    munford and son aside,is that the sum total of talent we have to offer.god forbid,it is not music but more akin to the circus,the only thing missing was simon smith and his amazing dancing bears,claptrap.let us hope there are young men practicing up and down the land,listerning to proper music, biding their time,waiting for the country to regain it's senses promting a return to proper talent.boys own britains best band?? it is like a living nightmare an insult to proper talent....

  • Comment number 53.

    33. At 09:47am on 16 Feb 2011, Redfootball wrote:
    "gosh their are some snarling old fogeys on this board today!"

    So: no change there, then.

    Oo: remember "Brit-pop"? Not only was it rather pathetic, but it was about 15 years ago. How come we don't seem to have moved on since then? Is it because all the people running the show now, like Simon Cowell were one-hit wonders in the 1980s and are miserably stuck in their own time-warp? (No offence meant to Rocky Horror there).

    Sickened by all those plastic one-dimensional populating the Brits? Then cheer yourself up by finding that program about ageing rock stars on the i-player: watch the likes of Iggy Pop and the Beach boys and smile with the knowledge that in comparison you, like me have at lease descended into miserable dotage with some degree of dignity!

  • Comment number 54.

    Very happy Take That finally won Best Group, so deserved after the amazing year they have had and it only took them 20years to do so. But I do not understand Mumford and Sons winning best album when they were beaten in the best group category. Which has further left me confused as to how they decide the winners full stop. Quite honestly was not surprised by the majority of the winners as most had been tipped to win their categories.

    Adele's performance last night led to me to downloading the track and I now want to get her album. She was amazing on stage last night!

  • Comment number 55.

    Oh and one quick note, two albums (one of which won) were released in 2009, so how were they allowed to be even nominated?

  • Comment number 56.

    Am I expected to be interested in this.... am I really?

  • Comment number 57.

    This never ending award giving is one of my pet hates. These people have a great life yet they seem to want to receive accolades and awards as well.

    I know countless people who deserve awards for the rotten, boring and sometimes dangerous jobs they do every day of the year. But what do they get? Taxes and struggle.

    These days, as others have written, you certainly don't have to have talent you just have to have lots of whizz bang special effects and flashing lights.

    I know I am old, my time has well and truly past, but what goes for music today is disturbing. Some of the lyrics are crude and some of the singers couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

  • Comment number 58.

    once again rock was snubbed at the brits the legend robert plant should have won and i agree with past comments how can it be called the brits with foreign acts allowed to enter the brits will never match up to the grammys

  • Comment number 59.

    If ever you needed evidence of the dumbed down BBC and the obsession with youth - is that yoof - then here it is.
    We are having an inane HYS on the Brit awards but yesterday the chance to comment on the disgraceful treatment of the elderly in hospitals was severely limited to a link to Radio 5 live and then a handful of personal comments. I suppose the public sector BBC just couldnt bring itself to allowing the possibility of criticism of the saintly public sector NHS.
    Maybe next year the CRIT awards will be broadcast live on Radio 4. That will tick all the right boxes for BBC management.

  • Comment number 60.

    Wow.

    Interest rates going up, inflation through roof and paedophiles coming off the Sex Regster and we get this to discuss.

    So, the right acts won because they did, end of. World changes not one bit.

    Now. having decided that, can we close this thread and get something on here we do need to talk about.

  • Comment number 61.

    Whats the winners name Tinie Tempah? sounds like a new type of social disease, Mumford and son? could be a family bookmaker company? and Plan B a new flat pack furniture company? Laura Marling dont no that singer. I am sure they were the best????

  • Comment number 62.

    Nice to see my licence fee being spent researching the hot topics of the day...

    What a complete waste of web space. Get a grip BBC, you're not 'OK' magazine.

  • Comment number 63.

    I subscribe to the Hippie's tenet that winning awards does not really make man exceptional.

  • Comment number 64.

    "50. At 11:01am on 16 Feb 2011, WiseOldBob wrote:


    A bit like Cliff Richard being Britain's answer to Elvis really. . . "

    You do know Cliff has outsold Elvis, don't you? And yes, I know Presley's dead, but his records keep on being re-issued.

    No, I did not watch the Brit Awards. The term Brit annoys me intensely; it is a derogatory US-originated term designed to sneer at Britain and the British. It is also a non-word. British means of or pertaining to Britain. It is not the adjective from "Brit".

  • Comment number 65.

    2. At 00:27am on 16 Feb 2011, matt-stone wrote:

    WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH !!

    =========================================================================
    Couldn't have put it better !

  • Comment number 66.

    39. At 10:04am on 16 Feb 2011, Steveo77 - Save 606 wrote:
    to all those complaining (especially those who admit that they havent heard of the winners) can I ask why you feel the need to contribute to this article? Ignore if you wish but please contribute to something that you know something about in future
    ______________________________________________________________

    You make an excellent point Stevo. In answer to your question; I felt the need to contribute purely because I do know something about music but happily nothing about these Brit award winners.

  • Comment number 67.

    I didn't see the awards, if truth be told I didn't even know they were on but I'd say that Mumford and Sons deserve their award. I went to see them with a couple of the grandchildren last year and their performance was fantastic and included a nice mix of contemporary pop/rock and traditional/folk music that was performed at a very high standard and with a great deal of fun.

    Tinie Tempah has also made a refreshingly new sounding album that combines rap & dance quite well and with a distinctly British style, it's not really my type of music but his single Pass Out has a great beat and is one of those songs that's great to have playing while you're driving.

    To be fair even Take That's last album was quite a good pop album with lots of catchy tunes on it. Again it's not quite my type of music but there are a few songs on it that I like and in my opinion it is probably the best album they've ever made.

  • Comment number 68.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 69.

    ...as for people suggesting I ignore this topic because I feel it a waste of time, I'M PAYING FOR IT, SO I'LL COMMENT WHERE AND WHEN I LIKE!!

  • Comment number 70.

    The rose coloured glasses brigade are out in force in this topic I see. Declaring any music newer than the 1980's is a joke and it's all "just noise". There was plenty of terrible bands back in the day too, you just tend to remember the good ones. Granted there is plenty of rubbish around today and it is probably more prominent due to it being pushed by record labels as the lowest common denominator in music terms but please don't assume there is no talent left. Mumford and sons album is a true classic and it's great that they were rewarded, the same can be said for Laura Marling.

    There are sooooo many acts in the world today, and you have the benefit of the internet to try and find them, they are out there and music is as amazing as ever but please don't be so ignorant to hear something on the radio, declare it's rubbish then come to the conclusion that all of today's music is the same, it isn't. And the few good acts from the past that stood above the rest don't mean that music died in the 80's. Wake up fools!

  • Comment number 71.

    59. At 11:28am on 16 Feb 2011, jacko wrote:
    If ever you needed evidence of the dumbed down BBC and the obsession with youth - is that yoof - then here it is.
    We are having an inane HYS on the Brit awards but yesterday the chance to comment on the disgraceful treatment of the elderly in hospitals was severely limited to a link to Radio 5 live and then a handful of personal comments. I suppose the public sector BBC just couldnt bring itself to allowing the possibility of criticism of the saintly public sector NHS.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    So "the public sector" are all in it together, are they ?
    I imagine the thread on council pay is a nice opportunity for those aching to spit their bile at public sector workers to let fly. You know you want to.

  • Comment number 72.

    Disaffectedmajority...you're clearly interested enough to bother reading the article, log in, and leave a comment.
    You do not have to dump your addled brain on every article you read. The world is not waiting for your opinions.
    Same as the other people moaning about 'this not being a topic which should be on HYS'.
    Really?
    Why not? You're not changing the world with your ill conceived opinions. It doesn't matter what the subject is.

  • Comment number 73.

    Will Gompertz is hired to be the first BBC 'Arts Editor' and actually gets paid to give a report on the artistic merit or otherwise of the BRIT awards.

    Is this the BBC's idea of 'essential services' which need to be protected against the 'savage Tory cuts'?

  • Comment number 74.

    As a Girls Aloud fan, I'm actually glad Cheryl didn't win. Why? Because she's been spoiled since the X factor and is getting more childish. What happened to you Cheryl?

    She and GA used to be good. Notice the sequel to Out of Control isn't out yet and it's been 3 years now.

  • Comment number 75.

    i do apologise i said boys own and not take that won(hheehee)britains best band.how one could make such a mistake his behond me,"i am not worthy" that what the say "innit"i do wish the "boys" all the best in their new career carn't wait for the album???

  • Comment number 76.

    A report reveals that our hospitals are staffed by what would seem to be cynical, callous sadists, in some cases where the elderly are concerned, and we discuss this.

    These people die from weltering in their own muck, however it seems we give prizes to others for just that.


  • Comment number 77.

    66. At 11:50am on 16 Feb 2011, SPEEDTHRILLS wrote:
    39. At 10:04am on 16 Feb 2011, Steveo77 - Save 606 wrote:
    to all those complaining (especially those who admit that they havent heard of the winners) can I ask why you feel the need to contribute to this article? Ignore if you wish but please contribute to something that you know something about in future
    ______________________________________________________________

    You make an excellent point Stevo. In answer to your question; I felt the need to contribute purely because I do know something about music but happily nothing about these Brit award winners.


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    your interest in music is obviously rather limited then.
    maybe you should try remembering to watch it next year as you will find that the acts performing are quite diverse and would appeal to most musical tastes.

    I imagine your musical tastes are probably of the more classical variety. Don't forget that you have the Classical Brits then.
    I must admit I don't know much about classical music but I did attend one of the proms last summer (and a fairly obscure one at that too) to broaden my musical knowledge. Maybe you should watch the Brit Awards one year for that reason too. You never know you may surprise yourself and enjoy some of it.

  • Comment number 78.

    I don't think we are in a particularly productive or exciting phase in the development of popular music. It all seems to be vulgar ethnic rap or the spawn of reality music programmes.

  • Comment number 79.

    When Take That win best band, then this says it all really. The Brits has absolutely nothing to with Music, more who has their faces in the media the most. A travesty of style over substance.

  • Comment number 80.

    People so need to lighten up here. There is so much doom and gloom in the world that a bit of music is light relief. Like many say, if you don't like then don't comment. Everyone has different tastes in music and one show cannot please everyone thats why there are many other different shows on tele containing different types of music. Most people in life like to be recongised for their work even pop artists and why shouldn't they. We spend so much omoney on buying CD's, downloading music and going to concerts - it is us who make these stars what they are. For those of you who have not heard of some of the artists that were on last night then (a) where have you been and (b) why bother saying anything.

    Personally, i enjoyed the show and always do, it is light releif from a hectic and worrying life.

    For those of you complaining about it being a topic of conversation on here, its all about variety and not just discusing the doom and gloom all the time - get a grip and lighten up, the world would be a better place without all you moaners!!!

  • Comment number 81.

    I couldn't care less. Stop pandering to those without brains and discuss matters of import and intelligence, HYS. If I were Director General, I'd fire the lot of you!

  • Comment number 82.

    Super! Glad you asked.
    Great to see Plan B get British male, would have preferred Paloma Fith for British female. Happy with Tinie for breakthrough, mainly just glad Ellie goulding didn't get it. As much as 15 year old me still loves Take That I'd have liked to see British group go to an actual band instead. Of the choices available for British single I'd rather have had Florence or Plan B, but happy that Tinie kept that awful Cole woman from winning anything. The nominations for International breakthrough read like a list of "people I'd most like to kill slowly" & thank god Arcade Fire won international Group, though it would have been nice to see Katy Perry get International album, despite not particularly being a fan, as she's been a busy little bee this year. I'd also have liked to see her get International female but that's mainly because I think Rhianna should be put out of the worlds misery, god I can't stand that woman! Please make her stop! Happy too with Cee Lo for International male.
    Just one thing I can't work out HOW THE HELL DID MUMFORD & SONS WIN BEST ALBUM?! We've already got one Levellers, we don't need another, take your fiddles & your flutes & toorahloorah off with your fake Irish fiddledeedee! That was a strong category too & the worst option got it. Shame.

    Well you asked ;)

  • Comment number 83.

    Oh & BTW I didn't actually watch it, Had far more important things to do. Have seen Plan B's performance this morning though. Cracking.

    I'd also like to put myself up for the "kaboom, thumpa" band. I can go "ting" & pretend I have a triangle.

  • Comment number 84.

    7. At 08:15am on 16 Feb 2011, Alan T wrote:
    Glad to see Plan B and Cee Lo Green got awards, can't say I agree with Mumfords getting best though.

    I see that the "they don't make music like they used to" brigade are already here, bemoaning the fact that {choose your favourite classic pop/rock artist here} weren't on.
    It's a shame that so many people of my generation (I'm 56) sincerely believe that current music has nothing good to offer.

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Alan, i disagree. It is not that older people bemoan the state of the music industry; it's just that the same old rehashed pap wins all the time. Where were the British Rock bands, rather than the usual dum and bass nonsense? There are plenty good new bands in the UK but because of the myopic views of the mainstream media and music press they get zero coverage. That is what is wrong my friend.

  • Comment number 85.

    Well done Mumford and Sons. My favourite album of the year, by far. Amazing performance too.

  • Comment number 86.

    19. At 08:58am on 16 Feb 2011, SPEEDTHRILLS wrote:
    14. At 08:46am on 16 Feb 2011, W Fletcher wrote:
    Is this luvvie-fest of any relevance to the real world?? All we have is bunch of self-congratulatory numpties, hugging & mwhaing each other & then a few grab a microphone & issue a monotonous, meaningless chant!

    If I were to stand in the middle of the venue & start chanting "thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa" would that get me huge award & swarms of crying luvvies..???
    ___________________________________________________________________

    Given the apparent intelligence of today's UK masses, yes I think it probably would get you an award. In fact that is such a good idea, how about we do a duo ? You do the "thumpa" bit and I'll intersperse with "Kaboom". Given the seriousness of this thread, anyone else care to join our duo and become a group ? (Think X factor).


    ...........

    You're on - now all we need is a backing vocal - " lalalalalalalalalalalalalalal bang bang bang bang lalalalalala"

    Hey, maybe set up as song writers for Brit (non resident) awards 2012....

  • Comment number 87.

    7. At 08:15am on 16 Feb 2011, Alan T wrote:

    "It's a shame that so many people of my generation (I'm 56) sincerely believe that current music has nothing good to offer. "

    It does have good things to offer. Basically they offer classic tracks from the past with a heavy drumbeat and mix in a pointless rap containing offensive obscenities. Sadly, destroying what made an original song great in the name of 'interpretation' seems to be how today's music industry works.

  • Comment number 88.

    Didn't recognise any of them. Except Take That. None of it was to my taste. So will the Beeb be covering an equivalent rock and/or metal awards fest for the rest of us??

  • Comment number 89.

    67. At 11:58am on 16 Feb 2011, General_Jack_Ripper wrote:

    Hold your head high, General Jack. You're my hero of the day! If I'm going to Mumford And Sons gigs, tapping along to Tinie Tempah while I'm driving, and even being open-minded enough to give Take That a bit of airtime when I'm a grandpa I reckon I'll be doing well.

    To all of those posting "who cares" and "let's talk about something serious" comments, do you not recognise the arrogance and ignorance of your stance? All the people here interested in the topic are fools are they? And only you are right because you're not interested? And of course, never mind that all the other HYS topics currently are about more 'serious' topics, it's a disgrace that we have one topic where we can discuss something a bit lighter for a change.

    Miserable lot.

    I reiterate what I said (and others have said before and since) in post 38:

    No-one is forcing you to post here. You are not the world. Other people are interested in this topic even if you aren't. If you're just coming on here to say something like "Can we have a real topic please" you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.

  • Comment number 90.

    Good to see the usual posters with no actual opinion who think they own the world have already posted, get a life people!

    Yes I do think the right people won last night and I think the event showed perfectly how good and varied the music scene is at the moment. No I'm not personally a fan of all of the acts but I can still appreciate what they are doing in their own genres of music. Every type of music whether you like it has a right to be appreciated.

    To those who are jumping on the band wagon critising certain artists for being nominated, I doubt very much whether you have actually ever taken the time to listen to those artists, you just automatically think they are rubbish because you have such a narrow minded appoach to listening to music, and if that is the case your opinion on that artist has no value!

  • Comment number 91.

    I understand a lot of people are not interested in these awards and the type of music they feature, but this website is paid for by a license fee also paid by those who did watch and are interested.
    Elsewhere on the site there is plenty of material on politics, the economy etc including other 'Have Your Say's'

  • Comment number 92.

    I like Plan B, but if he was a black guy singing the blues and rapping then he wouldnt have got a look in, just like Eminem is considered a genius but is no better than the hundreds of black rappers! And when Lady gaga can sell records it says it all really! Arcade fire was poor live too! And take that is not really ground breaking music it is purely disney type music! You can not compare the cover version music industry today to that of any of the great musical eras, 60s, 70s and 90s! Tinie tenmpahs music sounds exactly the same as his last single, and so does dizzy rascal, all hes doing is rehashing old funky house tunes with rap!

  • Comment number 93.

    At 09:06am on 16 Feb 2011, Aneeta Trikk wrote:
    "I just wish there were more places to listen to whole tracks for free in a "before you buy" online world of choices. And do we really need recorded music almost completely removed from the high street. It just seems like a social deprivation too far".


    ---------------------------------------------------------------

    If I could listen to whole tracks for free on my computer before deciding whether to buy, it also means I could record them by conecting a lead between the headphone output of my computer to the line-in port on my minidisc recorder.

  • Comment number 94.

    76. At 12:34pm on 16 Feb 2011, Eddy from Waring wrote:
    A report reveals that our hospitals are staffed by what would seem to be cynical, callous sadists, in some cases where the elderly are concerned, and we discuss this.

    These people die from weltering in their own muck, however it seems we give prizes to others for just that.


    You know, Eddy, it's possible to have a discussion of less important things sometimes. If you eat a meal and enjoy it that doesn't make you a bad person just because millions are starving. I think you'll find, if you're honest with yourself, that really you're only objecting to this topic because you aren't a fan of the music the Brits celebrates.

    Indeed, I daresay if you didn't like the television shows that these same patients you purport to care about are probably finding comfort in, and there was a thread on here about the television awards, you'd find some reason to object to that.

    The other side of the assertion you make is that millions draw wonderful feelings of comfort, solace and happiness from music all over the world, all the time. The Brits celebrate an aspect of that. Unfortunately, it's not an aspect you like and so we shouldn't be talking about it.

    There are plenty of other places for you to go and discuss things you consider more worthy. Perhaps you could go there and leave the rest of us to our light relief. I think that doing so makes us no less bad people than enjoying that meal would make you.

  • Comment number 95.

    2. At 00:27am on 16 Feb 2011, matt-stone wrote:
    WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH !!

    ---

    You could say that about pretty much all of your posts on Have Your Say, Matt. A reminder of a couple of gems you've put forward -

    - The smoking ban is a good thing because it's killing the pub industry which, as you apparently know from never entering a pub in your life, is nothing more than a haven for paedophiles and rapists.
    - All Britons (I assume you're included on that list, although if it transpires that you're not British then that would explain why you're so blatantly racist towards the British and our culture) are apparently lager louts doing no work and all immigrants are fantastic assets who clean everything up - ignoring the fact that most of the incredibly small minority of Britons you're talking about are unemployed BECAUSE of immigrants being preferred employment choices.

    I could go on, but the message is clear. You are a troll and you contribute less than nothing to any of these debates other than badly-written rubbish.

    Right, now onto the Brits. As far as I'm aware (and maybe it's changed over the last few years), the Brits are decided by public vote. The public therefore chose the right acts. It doesn't matter who disagrees, a fair and democratic voting process led to these acts winning their respective awards. Whether or not the awards are relevant anymore is another question, one that I doubt will ever be asked on BBC Have Your Say. But, the answer to this question is yes. The right acts won because the highest number of people wanted them to win, even if I don't know or like most of them myself.

  • Comment number 96.

    It was what it was and there you go.

    Interesting to note in another article on the site that the industry say it costs a minimum of £1m to launch a new band including recording the album and styling the band. That investment/return equation inevitably impacts on the product you get exposed to or at least the product represented at the Brits.

    The inevitable cost of this is a reduction in risk and therefore variety. Even edgy singer/songwriters like Laura Marling get reduced to MOR slush in order to fit the low risk sales model. Interesting that she, Mumfords and Arcade Fire all share links in the production styling of their albums. That is the sound of 'nu folk' after all.

    The music industry has always been tension between creativity and money men though, so nothing is new at all.

  • Comment number 97.

    77. At 12:35pm on 16 Feb 2011, Steveo77 - Save 606 wrote:
    66. At 11:50am on 16 Feb 2011, SPEEDTHRILLS wrote:
    39. At 10:04am on 16 Feb 2011, Steveo77 - Save 606 wrote:
    to all those complaining (especially those who admit that they havent heard of the winners) can I ask why you feel the need to contribute to this article? Ignore if you wish but please contribute to something that you know something about in future
    ______________________________________________________________
    You make an excellent point Stevo. In answer to your question; I felt the need to contribute purely because I do know something about music but happily nothing about these Brit award winners.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    your interest in music is obviously rather limited then.
    maybe you should try remembering to watch it next year as you will find that the acts performing are quite diverse and would appeal to most musical tastes.
    I imagine your musical tastes are probably of the more classical variety. Don't forget that you have the Classical Brits then.
    I must admit I don't know much about classical music but I did attend one of the proms last summer (and a fairly obscure one at that too) to broaden my musical knowledge. Maybe you should watch the Brit Awards one year for that reason too. You never know you may surprise yourself and enjoy some of it.

    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Personally i have no knowledge of whether or not SPEEDTHRILLS interest in music is limited, what i do know that the "Brits" does not encompass the whole spectrum of music and that i suspect is what irks everyone. A bit like the World Series in the USA that... well certainly doesn't include the world.

    Take That as Best Band, no way. I looked for the best British metal band but alas the category did not seem to exist. Ergo my problem with the "Brits", it is a pseudo award ceremony pertaining to encompass all that is good about British music whilst at the same time paying lip service to those other than the media darlings.

  • Comment number 98.

    Brit Awards 2011: Did the right acts win?

    Tinie Tempah walked away with two prizes at this year's Brit awards, claiming best British breakthrough act and best single for Pass Out. Did the awards go to the right acts;

    "Tiny Tempah". .... Tiny Who? ...never heard of him.

    "Did the right acts win"? ...... Who cares?




  • Comment number 99.

    Like so many other commentators I made a conscious decision not to watch. But I will not condemn something I did not watch, and have no knowledge of. I have been prompted to research the various 'acts' referred to in the awards, maybe later I can make a proper informed contribution.
    It may be that the subject is considered unworthy of HYS, but complain to the BBC , do not simply winge here.

  • Comment number 100.

    89. At 1:11pm on 16 Feb 2011, John Smith wrote:
    67. At 11:58am on 16 Feb 2011, General_Jack_Ripper wrote:

    Hold your head high, General Jack. You're my hero of the day! If I'm going to Mumford And Sons gigs, tapping along to Tinie Tempah while I'm driving, and even being open-minded enough to give Take That a bit of airtime when I'm a grandpa I reckon I'll be doing well.

    To all of those posting "who cares" and "let's talk about something serious" comments, do you not recognise the arrogance and ignorance of your stance? All the people here interested in the topic are fools are they? And only you are right because you're not interested? And of course, never mind that all the other HYS topics currently are about more 'serious' topics, it's a disgrace that we have one topic where we can discuss something a bit lighter for a change.
    Miserable lot.

    reiterate what I said (and others have said before and since) in post 38:
    No-one is forcing you to post here. You are not the world. Other people are interested in this topic even if you aren't. If you're just coming on here to say something like "Can we have a real topic please" you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.

    --------------------------------------------------------------
    John SmithNo one is forcing you to respond either - but you do! Is it one rule for one and another for everyone else?
    Misery loves company they say...

 

Page 1 of 3

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.