BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say

What do you think of this year's Oscar nominations?

14:05 UK time, Tuesday, 25 January 2011

The Social Network, The King's Speech and Black Swan are among this year's Oscar nominees for best film. Which film do you think should win?

As expected British actor Colin Firth received an Oscar nomination for his role in the King's Speech. The film's chances were boosted at the weekend when it was named film of the year at the influential Producers Guild awards.

However, Facebook movie The Social Network, named best film drama at the Golden Globes earlier this month, is tipped for the Academy's highest honour.

Comedienne Mo'Nique, winner of last year's best supporting actress award and Academy president Tom Sherak revealed nominees ahead of the 2011 Academy Awards ceremony due to be held in Los Angeles on 27 February.

What do you think of the films nominated? Which films and actors would you award the Oscar to? Are there any films or actors that you think have been overlooked?

Thank you for your comments. This debate is now closed.

Comments

• Comment number 1.

Come come BBC, i think both you and i know what a lot of comments will consist of regarding this HYS. Personally i would like to see The King`s Speech take the honours, a well structured film and a great performance by Colin Firth.

• Comment number 2.

The King's Speech - fairly decent Film brilliant acting by Colin Firth
    As for the other films The Social Network,- need a dislike button for this movie.
    True Grit was boring predictable and a rehashed old Wayne film without John Wayne's screen presence , Black Swan was terribly predictable too and really really really boring only good thing about the movie Black swan was miss portman id have prefered to have bought a poster instead of loosing 2 hours,
    The Fighter rubbish,
    Inception terribly bad ,Skyline was far better than Inception. The Kids Are All Right, 127 Hours, Toy Story 3 and Winter's Bone. Machete was a funny action movie far superior to Inception toy story 3 erm same as the other 2 !

I wonder if they will get Ricky Gervais to host it, i hope so he's brilliant unlike the majority of films produced in the last 24 months.

• Comment number 3.

Cue the predictable 'HYS is dumbing down' comments.

I'd vey much like to see 'The King's Speech' win something.

• Comment number 4.

Not at all interesting. The BBC are once again indulging in more arty farty time wasting instead of reporting on real news and allowing comment on interesting and important events.
    These are nominations for an award, not even the award itself, it really is a total non-event - its pointless. Worse than that, the actual awards themselves when made are just self serving claptrap which no one is remotely interested in.
    The BBC should stop employing so many arts students and go and find some scientists, engineers and other truely interesting people!

• Comment number 5.

A bunch of nobodies nominating more nobodies to be named even bigger nododies, as if they didn't feel important enough anyway, OH what aprivelidge it is to exist on the same planet as all these opake nobodies.

• Comment number 6.

I really couldn't care less about them.

• Comment number 7.

Great collin..but don't move to the us!! Do you have to have an American connection to get an oscar?

• Comment number 8.

"Inception terribly bad, Skyline was far better than Inception."

Haha! That's a good one.....oh - you're serious? Look, I know it's all about opinion, but you've got one very....."acquired" taste in movies, shall we say! :o)

The Social Network and Inception all the way for me. How Nolan wasn't nominated for Best Director - that's just wrong.

• Comment number 9.

All awards should be delayed for 2 or so years from release which gives me the chance to see them on DVD or TV. I find going to the cinema these days is not a very pleasant experience, what with the bad behaviour of audiences who think that just cos they have bought an expensive ticket, they have the right to behave how they want; the nausious smell of popcorn; crinkley wrappers; mobiles; bad sound systems and blurred projections.

What we need are cinemas for grumpy types who only want to watch and immerse themselves in the film. No eating, no talking, no sound, no scents etc. You can breathe though - quietly.

• Comment number 10.

I would like Eclipse to win and also the kings speech. Fabulous acting skills in both movies.

• Comment number 11.

Dddddddddon't give a ddddamn.

• Comment number 12.

I'm rather shocked that neither Prince of Persia or The A-Team appears in the list of best film. But otherwise, the nominations throw up no surprises.

• Comment number 13.

Marvellous: I just remembered that Morecambe & Wise line (so lovingly re-created at the end of the recent BBC bio-pic):
    "What do you think of it so far?"
    "Rubbish!"

• Comment number 14.

9. At 3:09pm on 25 Jan 2011, Sue Doughcoup wrote:
    ". . . I find going to the cinema these days is not a very pleasant experience, what with the bad behaviour of audiences who think that just cos they have bought an expensive ticket, they have the right to behave how they want; the nausious smell of popcorn; crinkley wrappers; mobiles; bad sound systems and blurred projections.

What we need are cinemas for grumpy types who only want to watch and immerse themselves in the film. . . ."

Come to York's "City Screen" It's everything you could wish for. It's just a pity than no one seems capable of making a decent film these days. . .

• Comment number 15.

Haven't actually seen any of those nominated this time around. I have seen Tron Legacy so I hope that dosen't win anything unless there is an award for "upstaging the entire cast, writers and director one short scene" which would clearly go to Martin Sheen's Bowie-esqe performance in the nightclub scene.

Also saw Toy Story 3, it was just a repeat of Toy Story 2 but then it does the job of entertaining kids so you can't be too harsh (still dosen't deserve an Oscar though).

The best film I've seen recently is a few years old so won't get an Oscar; Cemetery Junction was poignant, funny, sad, realistic and imaginative and shows that Ricky Gervais is more than just the Hollywood-ego basher we saw at the Golden Globes.

• Comment number 16.

Not having seen any of the nominations I hope whatever wins is both good and something I end up watching and enjoying.

On a related point, why shouldn't HYS have this as a topic? If you don't enjoy films and you prefer spending your day worrying about immigration and the economy then be my guest. But as far as I'm concerned all the 'serious' subjects in the world are merely necessary activities in order to have a society where we can have enjoyable leisure activies such as going to the cinema. The purpose of life is to enjoy as much of it as possible, and all the serious matters in life would be pointless if they didn't give us the freedom and resources to have a bit of fun once in a while.

• Comment number 17.

Well the King's Speech gets my vote, but I can't help but feel it was designed specifically to clear up at the Oscar's and BAFTA's. Just like the English Patient, Titanic, Avatar, A Beautiful Mind etc.

It's clear the academy awards tend to always go for films which fit the bill.

• Comment number 18.

The Razzies are more important than the Oscars

• Comment number 19.

We all know that the Kings Speech should sweep the board but have you ever seen any competition in the USA that is fair, with the winner being judged on merit alone? The Oscars is big business in America and they need to see American films win rergardless of their quality.

• Comment number 20.

The usual pundits in evidence - shame none of you people actually know anything about movies. You either pay at the BO or, (I suspect) most of you download for free like the scroungers you are, or you don't, pay, that is.

I paid to see both The King's Speech and True Grit, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

The trouble with you people is that you view everything through a twisted POV - they are only movies - they are the leaven in the lump as my nanny used to say.

Grow up!!

• Comment number 21.

The Oscars is a load of bull.

Overglamourised rubbish celebrating crappy American Hollywood 'movies' which aren't even good, most consisting of a dumb script with OTT special effects. Face it, that industry hasn't produced ANYTHING good at least in the past 20 years. Even I could make something better than the mindless trash they spew and shove down everyones throats, and I'm rubbish!

• Comment number 22.

The nominations, like the awards, are irrelevant.

On the night the only thing people will be talking about is the best dress.

• Comment number 23.

2. At 2:37pm on 25 Jan 2011, th3_0r4cl3 wrote:
    The King's Speech - fairly decent Film brilliant acting by Colin Firth

------------

Each to his own of course, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Social Network.
    Not seen the opposition, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got the screenplay Oscar at least.

• Comment number 24.

The Oscars, as with all award ceremonies, are nothing about the merits of the film, but who is flavour of the month. Meaningless nonsense.

• Comment number 25.

I couldn't care less

• Comment number 26.

The underground film "Bad Acne in Hackney" gets my vote every time.

• Comment number 27.

Best Picture: The Social Network
    Best Actor: Colin Firth - The King's Speech
    Best Actress: Natalie Portman - Black Swan
    Best Supporting Actress: Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech
    Best Director: Tom Hooper - The King's Speech
    'The Social Network' is a brilliant movie, and it would be extremely hard to compete with its cotemporary story in the US for masterpieces like 'Black Swan' and 'The Kings Speech'.
    I do have a feeling about Danny Boyle film 127 Hours too. It can also have an Oscar, not for Danny though, but for Best Original Song 'If I Rise'.. By AR Rahman.

• Comment number 28.

Yet again no mention of Michael Moore?

• Comment number 29.

25. At 6:49pm on 25 Jan 2011, RichardGrey wrote:
    I couldn't care less

=============================

Well, occasionally we see eye to eye, and this is one of those occasions. There is so much going on, so many topics which are STILL open, and now this. It wouldn't matter having this one if there were a few more on serious issues.

Clearly others are not too impressed either - I think I am posting at 29 when this opened at 14:05 today!

• Comment number 30.

Who cares? I mean kudos to the artists now let's move on. Aren't there more worthwhile and pressing topics to discuss?

• Comment number 31.

P.S. Inception was terrible!

• Comment number 32.

As usual far too much talk about a non event

• Comment number 33.

8. At 3:08pm on 25 Jan 2011, RosscoPK79 wrote:
    "Inception terribly bad, Skyline was far better than Inception."

------------------------------------------------

Skyline vs Inception, for me inception was ruined by Leonardo, i just didnt buy it (also they were not the only ones asleep, i had to be woke up by my wife 3 times during that film!. . Shutter island for me is by far the best film he has done so far but even that was incredibly predicable. Skyline although a predictable a blend of war of the worlds meets clover field vibe going on. Managed to keep me awake.!

• Comment number 34.

The Oscar nominations mean little to me, they have nothing in common with the kind of movies I like to watch. Perhaps the people who award Oscars are looking for different things in movies than me.

I rarely go to a public cinema these days, why should I have to put up with noisy children and teens when I can connect my BLU-ray player to my 37 inch full HD TV and watch films in the quiet and comfort of my own home.

• Comment number 35.

This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

• Comment number 36.

What do you think of this year's Oscar nominations? Same as always, Oscars are not indicators of art, talent or originality they represent the establishment, who has best toed the line, ticked the boxes and sold out.

• Comment number 37.

I think Oscar should win it; poor bloke turns up every year and never wins a bean

• Comment number 38.

So it is that time of year again. The media chosen get to choose who has 'charmed' them the most. It must be such a difficult job - a bit like working for the police complaints authority.... or sitting on the committee deciding what 'news and current affairs' is fit for HYS.....

I wonder what will win next.

• Comment number 39.

Film beats other films for award about film good grief, rioting, not enough food, wars, overpopulation. Never mind lets carry on this sycophantic back slapping charade. To quote from one such film, which may have one an award over other films too - "Frankly my dear i don't give a damn".

• Comment number 40.

5. At 3:06pm on 25 Jan 2011, EUR1P wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nobodies? I really do not get your post. Is it just sour grapes that you aren't famous? Or are you angry just because other people are?

• Comment number 41.

who goves a toss. what about the world service cuts?

• Comment number 42.

I think "Vampires Suck" should get the Oscar for Best MovieFilm. For me, it was an acclaimed, pain-inspiring look into the incessant rubbish that Hollywood turn out each year, and the directors unashamedly gave it all the directing that it deserved, i.e. not very much, and yet they still made millions from it. Well done.
    I think they are the only ones who truly understand this whole film-making process- that the cinema-goer is a cash cow to be milked for all it is worth, with minimal effort. Therefore, they should get Best Director(s) too.

• Comment number 43.

12. At 3:12pm on 25 Jan 2011, Dave Godfrey wrote:

Well, after The Hurt Locker won Best Film last year, I would have thought anything was possible.

• Comment number 44.

40. At 08:55am on 26 Jan 2011, Jason_Overthinker wrote:
    5. At 3:06pm on 25 Jan 2011, EUR1P wrote:
    A bunch of nobodies nominating more nobodies to be named even bigger nododies, as if they didn't feel important enough anyway, OH what a privelidge it is to exist on the same planet as all these opake nobodies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Your user name explains your comment, try seeing things for what they are.

I assume that you feel these people are worthy of their elevated possition of worship

• Comment number 45.

Not bothered they do not make films like they did in the 40/50/60's!

• Comment number 46.

What do I think of this year's Oscar nominations?

I think they are quite interesting. I will also be quite interested in the results.

I am not interested in all the speculation and guessing that will be pushed down our throats for the next month. E.g. Who will wear what dress by which designer; who will go to whose party after the event, does such-and-such action make it more likely that so-and-so will win an award for "best use of a tree" in a motion picture and so on. And please BBC, don’t bother to send a team of reporters to Hollywood to stand by the red carpet – save some money (after all, we’re all in this together – yes). On the morning after the ceremony, just tell me who won what.

• Comment number 47.

This must be the most boring clutch of films ever. And I thought the latest HYS on The State of the onions was bad enough.

• Comment number 48.

My only comments regarding this..........is why is it being discussed its trivia!

• Comment number 49.

Who's Oscar?

• Comment number 50.

I think that 49 comments says it all. We don't give a damn, get it off the screen. We don't want to pay for it, we don't want to see it, it's dross.

• Comment number 51.

It's a long time since Tony Blair nearly won an Oscar for his performance in pulling the wool over the eyes of the voters. When can we expect to see a film on MP's and those in the House of Lords fiddling their expenses?

• Comment number 52.

It would be nice to see the Oscars go to The King's Speech. I know a lot of people who have seen it and without exception they have said it is a brilliant movie. I think the reality will be that the Oscars will go to True Grit and The Social Network. Hollywood is a narcissistic and fake world where talent is seldom recognised, only financial potential and greed, which is what fuels the film industry there nowadays - run by the marketing men who control the producers and directors. Shame.

• Comment number 53.

Winter's Bone for best Actress, Movie, Camera Work and Director in my view. In fact give it the whole set apart from animation. How to make an incredible film without spending millions and doing that alone is worth an Oscar. The rest are largely predictable nominations and none of them a true classic nor a film making any real difference to that media or its genres.

A remake of True Grit - I ask you!

Please no Gervais either. When will people realise that he really is Brent and that joke has got really dull now. Although if he stays in the States maybe we won't have to suffer him any more.

• Comment number 54.

If Slumdog Millionaire were made within the last twelve months it would still get the laurel.

• Comment number 55.

Don't care what wins,just get Gervais as host.

• Comment number 56.

49. At 11:53am on 26 Jan 2011, Dr John Galt wrote:
    Who's Oscar?

kevin pietersons brother?

• Comment number 57.

Come on HYS, this topic is hardly the most popular is it?

Can you not add a topic about the Wrexham to London rail service being closed after just three years due to lack of passengers, yet the new Chiltern service is still being considered?

• Comment number 58.

incompetance,that as to go to foggy osbourne. how to to be a good snake oil salesman,that goes to campo.and last but not least,the grey under-
    pants award,goes to our good friend cleggy......watch your peas cleggy..

• Comment number 59.

In any HYS debate it's always fascinating to see how many people 'Couldn't care less' or ask 'Why hasn't HYS got better things?' and yet manage to waste their obviously valuable time in making a response. Surely they should toddle off and find a subject more to their liking?
    And my vote so far is for The King's Speech, which was brilliant, but I haven't seen Black Swan yet, or any of the other nominations, so I may change my mind.

• Comment number 60.

59. At 11:30pm on 26 Jan 2011, crickedneck wrote:
    =======================================

Because the topics we want aren't on here!! Some of the more serious topics sit around for a week whilst similar views are suggested again and again by variuos people. Or very emotive topics are removed from the front page and closed within 48 hours. And this particular topic does not seem to cater for very many people at all.

• Comment number 61.

Yawn!
    I would think the Oscars would be worth mentioning if....

A - We didnt have better new stories to comment on (world service cuts, selling off forestry land etc)
    B - If they were actually voted on by the public and not those in the film business.

• Comment number 62.

 None of the above!

The Oscars are a bizarre collection of awards by a bizarre collection of people to their friends (a bit like architectural awards but there are probably more of those!)

Even more bizarre are the National Television Awards - who are these people?

• Comment number 63.

I've not seen the kings speech but I'm sure it's very good and it will doubtless do well. What does irk me every year is how the news stories about the nominations are always just about the british ones. There are plenty of people who are interested in film regardless of which country it comes from, so I'd much rather hear about all the nominations instead just the ones that go to my countrymen [and women].

And inception is brilliant. So there.