BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say

Have you been affected by the big freeze?

14:08 UK time, Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Snow and freezing temperatures are continuing to cause major problems for road, rail and air services across much of the UK - with thousands of schools also shut. How have you been affected?

The disruption caused by snow continued overnight, with temperatures falling as low as -20C in Braemar, Aberdeenshire and -7C in Birmingham.

Travellers face more misery as airports, roads and rail continue to be badly hit. Gatwick Airport has reopened after two days of closure, but passengers are warned of delays and cancellations. Southern and Southeastern rail have reduced services, trains in East Yorkshire are cancelled, and there are virtually no services north of Glasgow.

Have you been stranded in the snow? Have your travel plans been disrupted by the weather? Have you noticed other problems resulting from the weather?

Thank you for your comments. This debate is now closed.

Comments

Page 1 of 8

• Comment number 1.

• Comment number 2.

Funny how some people from a distance away can get into work, but others who live fairly close can't! My busness is travelling around the country with my range of tools. So far I have not had any problems other than it has taken a bit longer (a lot in some cases) to get to my destination.
    What I have noticed though, is the bad driving skills of some road users! Too fast, too close! I watched one guy spinning the wheels of his car trying to get moving on ice. I told him to be more gentle and use the tickover and clutch method and out he came!
    I know there have been complaints from some areas that the gritters haven't been seen, but if you have 150cm of snow on the ground it's ploughs that are needed!
    I hope everyone takes care and all get home safely. Just remember, it's not a race so take it easy and don't ruin your or some other families Christmas.

• Comment number 3.

I don't know what people are moaning about. 2010 has been one of the hottest years on record. Apparently. Just try and ignore the big piles of white stuff all over the place.

• Comment number 4.

I'm taking a day off work, but enjoying is not the word, since I will not get paid. It's a pity Prince William couldn't get married today so that I am saved losing another day's pay next April.

I got stuck at London Bridge last night trying to get home and it was total chaos with little information and trains on unaffected lines that could have moved being cancelled due to no train driver, whilst other trains on lines which were blocked did have drivers. Why couldn't they have just moved the drivers and got some passengers away.

There was blockages at Purley but they did not consider running shuttle trains between London Bridge and East Croydon on the stretch of line that was free thus enabling many passengers to get away and helping reducing the numbers at London Bridge.

Not sure if I will attempt to go in tomorrow, and it will depend on the weather. But my decision is not helped by my boss who thinks that normal hours should be worked for no good reason and not even a lunch hour skipped. So trying to get in earlier and leave a bit earlier is not an option for me.

The websites of the train companies are poor providing live running information and one train company will say use another train company whilst that other train company will tell you to use the others. Neither are running any services. Very poor.

• Comment number 5.

1. At 3:01pm on 01 Dec 2010, darkvalleysboy1978 wrote:

The constant lead news items of the last week of chaos in Scotland & Wales with pictures of cars skidding about on inappropriate tyres, abandoned vehicles, airports shut and people whining about lack of action must've been in our imagination then!

• Comment number 6.

I'm a student over in Hull and the whole university campus is closed because of the snow. Its snowed here now for 5 days almost none stop, there is 2 foot of snow in our back yard and at least 6 inches on the pavements outside.

• Comment number 7.

@1 = it was national news on Monday, no snow to speak of in most of south, lots in Scotland and Yorkshire. Same yesterday morning.

• Comment number 8.

It amazes me how the people of England get all flustered at a little snow. Here in Connecticut, we regularly get up to two feet of snow and think nothing of it. In some spots, 33 inches of snow is normal. What do I and a lot of other people do when a big snow storm occurs?

I fill my gas tank in my car and go driving around to enjoy the beauty of it and maybe spin my car around in an empty parking lot. In other words, I have FUN!

By the way, The Blue Danube Waltz is perfect to play while doing doughnuts with the car.

LOL.............Have fun. You only go around once in life!

• Comment number 9.

RE: "1. At 3:01pm on 01 Dec 2010, darkvalleysboy1978 wrote:
    Isn't it strange how it is national news because the South of England has snow. Scotland, Wales and the North of England seem to just get on with it."

---------------

The snowy weather in Scotland, Wales and the North of England HAS been national news for several days now, so please don't bring up that usual complaint. Presumably it's only "allowed" to be mentioned if it's NOT in the South? Arguably, snowy conditions in the areas you mention are more likely to occur there and therefore people are more used to dealing with them. The south doesn't usually get much snow, so of course it's going to be mentioned when it happens - but don't try to say everywhere else has been ignored, because that is just not true.

• Comment number 10.

Why is it that when snow hits the UK the whole country goes out of whack?

Countries like Russia and Canada has no problems with this as they deal with it everyday. Maybe the government should invest in getting some ideas from them...or has that been 'cut' also?

• Comment number 11.

Yes, it is -10 degree Celsius today in Berlin. It was almost unbearable. And tomorrow it will be even colder!!

• Comment number 12.

Why is this subject about (The Weather) brought up each year is it because its seasonal, or that the councils have been caught out again for there incompitance. Its the same story every year we are all ways un prepaired, we become the laughing stock of europe because we cannot deal with a few inches (showing my age) of snow.Its a good job we have this bad spell other wise there would be no news to report.

• Comment number 13.

@Rufus / Sarsamhol re: comment 1
    I suppose if you see everything as against you, you don't notice things like that. Rufus was right, we must all have been imagining the coverage last week, at the weekend, on Monday and early Tuesday. Silly us. Maybe I could move north - from Leeds - and blame the BBC for being biased in favour of the South East whenever my local area isn't headline news. Last item I saw led with Sheffield today, then went to Scotland, then to Reigate - so the South East was third.

• Comment number 14.

Here in Southwestern Ireland where I am currently on holiday, there has been very little snow, just cold sunny days and even colder nights.

What happened to the global warmimg we were promised, we sure could do with some of it now.

Based on the last two winters the weather seems to be getting colder not warmer.

• Comment number 15.

Here in France, as in Connecticut, we have two feet of snow. Our village is used to this, and we had poles in place to mark the edges of the road in case of drifts. However it did come a bit earlier than expected and the snowplough wasn't ready. We coped, and the kids got to school, but everyone is saying this is not an ordinary winter.

Of course snow hits the SE UK hard, and of course the Councils aren't kitted out for it. How would Council Tax payers react if faced with a bill for snowploughs and road salt which weren't used for years on the trot? Of course most drivers aren't handling it well - they get too little practice. Last week my French car was serviced and the garage changed over the wheels for my set with winter tyres. How many British drivers have these, or would expect to need them? Our garage has a drain in the middle of the floor to catch the melting snow when the car thaws out - who needs that in Sussex? We all have snow chains but rarely need them - maybe they would help in the UK?

We don't all live in the same surroundings. Finns and Swedes are good at driving on ice - it's part of their driving test. It's easy to laugh at the UK, but if winters continue to be this white, we'll soon catch up. Otherwise we'll muddle through in our traditional manner, ignoring employers who moan that they will lose money, while we go sledging with the kids. Why not, it doesn't happen often.

• Comment number 16.

Well, this is typical isn't it, can't get to work andbe economically active as the roads are closed because snow ploughs and gritters are in short supply. Obviously Gordon Brown and New Labour are at fault here for frittering away money they should've been saving during the good economic years on workshy immigrant asylum seekers and integrating terrorists courses. No doubt Milliband and co will be blaming the Conservatives for the weather.

• Comment number 17.

My newsagent said this morning: "It's now officially snowing here, as they have had snow in London".
    Guess where I live ?? (clue = haggis)

• Comment number 18.

Yes. No gritting of roads in our area at all - London Borough of Bromley. No post. No rubbish collection. No milk delivery. Virtually no trains or buses either. They're all playing a blinder!

• Comment number 19.

Can't say as I've noticed much, traffic was a bit slow on Monday but it normally is. Other than that walking the dog is a cold occupation.
    Last year I remember making it from Germany to an interview in London to find the interviewer couldn't make it 15 miles.... I think for most people the snow is just an excuse to be lazy.

• Comment number 20.

I was in Sweden last week and there was a few inches of snow on the roads but everyone just drove like normal. Everyone on the motorway was doing 60mph, but then that's the speed limit.

Maybe if this cold weather happens every year we will eventually get used to driving in it...

• Comment number 21.

Here in southern Poland it's -10 (in the day) and we have about a foot of snow with another foot or more expected in the next day or so. I got my winter tyres put on yesterday, without which I would not be able to drive anywhere. They do make a big difference and someone's going to make a fortune persuading the British to fork out for some extra winter tyres. Most of Poland continues to function as normal as they are used to severe winters, but even they are struggling as it's quite early for it to be so bad.

• Comment number 22.

I feel so sorry for the poor people who live in the south of England whose lives seem to be totally disrupted by a couple of inches of snow. We have had snow for over a week and each day it gets deeper. This morning it had reached 32 inches or c.80cm. What would the south do if they had this much snow I wonder, and had a couple of hundred sheep and other livestock to feed. Hibernate for the winter? How would they cope with no post for a week which is what we are experiencing in rural Northumberland. This is far worse than last January perhaps the Gulf Stream is starting to shut down!

• Comment number 23.

15. At 3:59pm on 01 Dec 2010, Diana_France wrote:

"Last week my French car was serviced and the garage changed over the wheels for my set with winter tyres. How many British drivers have these, or would expect to need them? Our garage has a drain in the middle of the floor to catch the melting snow when the car thaws out - who needs that in Sussex? We all have snow chains but rarely need them - maybe they would help in the UK?"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have wondered why most of the British don't opt for all-season tires since they don't need to be taken off every season. Here in the U.S., most people use these all-season tires to avoid tire changes each Winter. I use them and have never gotten stuck. I own a heavy car (Cadillac) but, still, I drive through some very deep snow with no problem. I watch the Winter driving videos on YouTube and see that most of the British drive on Summer tires during the Winter months and then have problems making the hills.

Are all-season tires available in Britain and France? Are they much more expensive? Here in Connecticut, they are maybe $5.00 more per tire but, WELL worth it. I highly recommend them to ANYONE who drives on snowy roads.

• Comment number 24.

I get very tired of the chip-on-shoulder comments about the South of England. As has already been pointed out, the news for the last week, when the South was not affected in the slightest, has been dominated by how the North and Wales have been struggling with the snow.

Yesterday it started snowing here and, thanks to no gritting locally, nearly every school is shut. The traffic is chaotic and the roads on my estate are quite literally a sheet of ice. They probably won't be gritted at all. The blame rests firmly with the Council, who charge extortionate local taxes to run our public services and each year fail to do their duty.

• Comment number 25.

@worldcitizen1:

I am a native born us citizen having grown up in Massachusetts which as you know has had as much snow as Connecticut over all the years.

These states have years of experience with snow and all the appropriate equipment to deal with it.

I have lived in the UK now for 25 years and it has only been in the last 5 years or so that the UK has had extensive snow, with the exception of Scotland and the far north. I mean more than a dusting that will melt quickly.

The councils do not have the snow plows that the northern states do. They could not justify the money for buying plows that might be used once in 10 years.

The other issue is that most drivers in the states will put on winter tires at the first sign of snow. In the UK the majority of car owners do not have winter tires and would not know that the "all weather" tires they have will not cope as well. As a matter of fact, I have a car that the manufacturer has only just indicated that you can buy special winter tires for (at a cost of about £400, or about $600.00).

I have seen other states in the US have problems dealing with an unexpected snow storm while living in Washington, DC.

Without the proper equipment it is difficult and they have to prioritize the work.

They are learning but it takes time and the will to make the change.

• Comment number 26.

It's all a bit pathetic really... okay so we get some proper winter weather for a change. A few generations ago in the UK hard winters were the norm and people grumbled a bit, threw on an extra pair of thick socks and got on with it. Many places in the world still do so annually but not here. A bit of snow and it seems that everything beyond the front door becomes dangerous and inconvenient, we're told to stay indoors, anything that can be cancelled is cancelled and the country grinds to a halt. Man up and adapt people, were not bigger than nature and never will be so suck it in, change pace and relearn how to live with whatever it throws at us.

• Comment number 27.

Honestly, It snows in the North every year without fail. Are they ever ready for it ? Can they handle it ? Obviously not. We see schools shut, roads blocked, cars abandoned, airports closed, trains cancelled, operations postponed. What a load of softies - no different from the Southerners in fact. Its just that they like to think they are - so lets humour them. Eee, where ah were born we lived in't cardboard box etc., (apologies to the Pythons).

• Comment number 28.

Here in West coast Finland, the temperature is only minus five Celsius, and what's more, there is only a light snow layer, about five centimetres of it. Looking at the reports coming from Britain, I have only one thing to say. Can we have our weather back please?

• Comment number 29.

This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

• Comment number 30.

25. At 4:37pm on 01 Dec 2010, dhd wrote:

"Hope you will understand and maybe investigate before you make comments about other countries response to adverse weather conditions."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't mean that to come off the way that you took it. I was simply wondering why the all-season tires were not used in the U.K. as they are relatively inexpensive and offer VASTLY improved traction on snowy roads. You explained very nicely why they haven't used them as they haven't had the need until recently.

Thank you.

I wasn't critisizing the British. I was only wondering.

• Comment number 31.

I have been unable to pay in my husband's wages as Barclays closed ALL of their branches in the country! Yet, every other bank was open in my area. My husband has now been charged for being overdrawn despite it not being his fault. The roads in my area are now clear and all public transport is running with only minor delays. It is disgusting as we now have no money and unable to put more electric on which we desperately need due to having to heat home with electric heaters as our boiler is broken.

• Comment number 32.

Yet again the UK proves itself a nation of incompetents that cannot cope with a little snow! Get the ploughs out - salt and grit the roads - keep the trains running - put winter tyres on your road vehicles - it really is not such a big deal!

• Comment number 33.

• Comment number 34.

Not yet. I went into town today with the christmas post. No drama.

But I have to travel LHR-SFO tomorrow and I worry that the trains won't make it. So far, so good, though.

But who knows? The driver may look at 1" of snow out of his window and decide to stay home in the warm :(

• Comment number 35.

30. At 4:59pm on 01 Dec 2010, Worldcitizen1 wrote:

Glad I could help and explain how things work here. Some areas here have had over 2 foot of snow in one day which is difficult to cope with a the best of times for countries that can deal with it.

• Comment number 36.

1. At 3:01pm on 01 Dec 2010, darkvalleysboy1978 wrote:

===================================

I don't know which bit of news you have seen. I have seen plenty about Scotland and the north of England not coping.

Our roads were gritted. The roads were gritted yesterday, it snowed all day, cars drove over the fallen snow which was slippery by lunchtime and then froze. The gritting lorries have been out again. The melted snow will have frozen again by now.

• Comment number 37.

I work 40 miles away from where I live. Thankfully I have a laptop, mobile phone and an understanding boss. So I've worked from home all week. Has actually meant that I have had an hours lie in each morning, still started work 30 mins earlier than normal, and finish the day at 5pm, instead of when I normally get home at 7. I hope the snow lasts for a few more weeks - I have a great work/life balance at the moment!!

• Comment number 38.

I am the only person in the street to have cleared my drive and also the pathway outside along the front of the property. I have also cleared a portion of the road, rocksalt to it all.

I cleared around 8inch to 11 inch(in places) deep snow off my car using a soft floor broom, its so easy to just push it all off one side, starting with the roof, doesnt scratch paintwork either & saves loads of time then run it down the sides of the car.

I was out early this morning & the snow was quite deep. After clearing drive & car etc I went to my business storage facilitys, slow treacherous drive, and couldnt get in, my car got stuck just outside a main gate but I had a spade & got out, + helped another car that was also stuck. I walked over 1/4 mile to storage facilitys from car, it was heavy going due to depth of snow and cleared the snow to the entrance so I could get in easier when I was going to return later.
    I grabbed a large bag of rocksalt from my few bags in storage, which I bought ages ago BEFORE panic of weather meant everywhere ran out of supply, & chucked it in a Royal Mail sack & humped it onto my shoulder & walked back through the snow which was around 10 inch deep, it wasnt easy trying to use the same steps on returning to my car because the weight of the rocksalt meant I was taking shorter steps. 10 inch deep snow doesnt sound much but it takes much more effort/energy to walk and is much slower.

Headed back home, (more treacherous driving but main roads slightly better because more people using them), where I do most of my work on the internet, some builders failed to turn up, we havent got a kitchen at the moment so its not easy.
    On the way home I stopped off & got another shovel, bought some more salt, bought another full gas cylinder, to add to my spare ones.
    Running my business from home I can only claim for part heating etc via tax hence to run just my office the whole house also gets heated, so I use mobile gas fire, which is more expensive to the taxman but which I can claim 100% of costs.

I also bought a sledge from a shop round the corner so that I was able to fulfil my days dispatches which I had to collect later from storage, across the deep snow.

The corner shop had some plastic sledges but also some others handmade with wood & a thin metal sheet underneath which someone had made last night. The FIRST I have seen of someone actually taking advantage of the weather & using self-initiative.

While at the shop I had chat with shopkeeper & some students that were not at college. I mentioned that if I was not working or was not at school/college, I would have been out clearing snow, as I did when younger, its EASY to make £100.00 a day in present times, but the students weren't interested, until I got to the £100 a day bit & the girl started to get interested, but her boyfriend, I presume he was, was not interested. Too much like hard work.

When I reached home I contacted all my customers who have placed orders and informed them that I was able to dispatch their items today but that there may still be Royal Mail delays.

Completed all paperwork went back to storage, more treacherous driving but main roads hugely improved, packaged & dragged all my dispatches on my new sledge to my waiting car & dropped off at post office, then was told Royal Mail were not making any collections today.

Wonderful!!!

What gets me is the total lack of effort that is the staple reality of so many people. There just seems to be no backbone to our nation, yes there are some great people out their doing voluntry work & other things, but they are a tiny number in comparison to the size of our population, & they are amazing people, far worthy of making Peers etc than half the muppets put forward by governments.

I have cleared my drive etc each day past few days, others have not & their cars are now trapped in much deeper snow. Idiots then walk to local shops & find they have sold out of bread & milk, vegetables & other things, or deliverys have not made it through to local shops. Sainsburys & Tesco have FULL stock, but muppets cannot get there because their cars are now trapped, I am sure they will be FIRST in queue to moan that the the local council has done not enough to clear roads etc, and/or blame Gordon Brown or whoever, everyone but their own muppet brain & self responsibility which they neglect.

Listening to BBC radio this morning on my first drive out, there was mention of treacherous conditions but NO REMINDERS, for people to be prepared in cars, taking EXTRA warmer cloths with them & a blanket, a drink, even a shovel.

It might help if BBC provided real travel advice & community advise at the end of hourly news broadcasts in such conditions, + for volunteers & encouraging /suggesting people off work get out & help themselves & others clearing paths & checking on pensioners etc but in our untrusting society who can you trust and rely upon because of the few who will seek to take advantage

There just seems to be so much inconsideration & ineptitude selfishness and paranoia of individuals and even those who run community services etc.

Nothing is anyones responsibility, except of course government, who muppets will balme for their OWN ignorant selfishness.

With Royal Mail not collecting from post offices, rubbish collections cancelled, other services cancelled, there are bound to be important services that are undermanned or in difficulty due to weather conditions. I cannot see meals on wheels completing their rounds without severe difficultys, especially due to back roads being attrocious. Same with helpers/services who help pensioners etc with shopping or whatever.

There are loads of VULNERABLE people on their own who are bound to need help yet Camerons BIG SOCIETY seems to be NON EXISTANT, there is no central organisation which can utilise volunteers, ESPECIALLY when extreme conditions arise.

I'd hate for anything REALLY serious to happen because this country would just fall apart.

Its outrageous that some unions even prevent teachers from taking part in a scheme of attending and helping ensuring lessons take place in a local school if they can't reach their own school.

Its crazy and outrageous, there just seems to be 1001 reasons to NOT do anything and new resons are drempt up all the time.

This evening even trying to volunteer to help out community services via local Doncaster Council was a complete waste of time, whether meals on wheels or whatever is just so hard, time consuming & ultimatley pointless as know one seems to know anything, + everyone has either gone home early due to weather or are not answering phones.

I suppose that before I could volunteer I would need to complete a 50 page application form & criminal checks etc, taking weeks to process by which time the moment of need has passed & some people will no doubtedly have suffered.

The true realitys of this snow are not very nice. It is the fact that it just so proves how ATTROCIOUS and selfish and paranoid we are as a country, as communitys, as individuals, (excluding a very small minority). So many just want to take & receive, but give little or nothing, paying tax seems to negate any and all other responsibilitys.

It just seems to me that the vast majority of people, want a nany state, or even a totalitarian state, so they can be told what to do and when because they are incapable of making such decisions themselves, unless of course booking a foreign holiday, or deciding beans or spagetti.

I think because generations since WWII have not experienced REAL hardship, much of the spine of our nation is lost. Maybe if it snowed for a month and was 50 times more severe and the vast majority experienced high level suffering then people might wake up to the fact that we are all in this together that our existance is totally 100% reliant on acting together and not as selfish ignorant individuals.

• Comment number 39.

One of the problems we face is that people are just not taught how to drive in snow. Tailgating, not maintaining a decent speed going uphill on snow, braking too late...the list is endless of what I have witnessed this week. Maintain a steady speed (not fast, but not too slow either), low revs, stay well away from the car in front of you and slow down/brake steadily and early when you need to stop. It really isn't that difficult.

• Comment number 40.

I turned 50 this year and I can remember very severe winters in the 60s that went on forever with much deeper snowfall than we have had in South Yorkshire in the last few days. My Dad worked down the pit and got up at 4:00a.am every morning to catch a bus, or in bad weather like this, to walk to work in the most severe of weathers. I think the main differences between now and those days are possibly these:

Most people lived within easy walking distance of where they worked, or a short a bus ride away, and they were possibly prepared to walk further than nowadays because a lost shift meant lost money.

Now We have very few manufacturing or production industries left and many industries are knowledge based, which means that a significant number of people, apart from service industries/manufacturing, are not required to be on the premises to fulfill their job role for at least a couple of days.

Plus, there were hardly any cars on the roads in those days and in fact, fewer roads, because very few people had a car to drive. Therefore the roads (all roads including the side roads which are now impassible for parked cars) were gritted. I would also guess that the steam trains in operation in the early 60s had snow ploughs fitted to the front, although I may be confusing this memory with a film!
    Wouldn't it be great if, in some respects, we could travel back in time and learn some simple lessons from people who knew how to keep winter at bay?

• Comment number 41.

It took me 8 hours to travel 6 miles south of the Dartford Tunnel northbound on the A2 , one of the main routes into England from Europe, yesterday and this had everything to do with extremely poor road management and very little to do with the weather. During the whole of that journey, the southbound carriageway (about ten yards away) was moving fluently at close to normal speeds. I only saw one gritter snowplough and that had broken down on the side of the road in half an inch of slush. Up to the point where I met stationary traffic, I had averaged a comfortable 60 mph from Canterbury and the road conditions did not change suddenly. Clearly, as is always the case in England, the authorities took far too long to clear accidents and get the traffic moving again. Clearly, there had been insufficient preparation for bad weather on the bridge and sliproads even though it was strongly forecast. The snow only became a problem because as the traffic was stationary for so long it began to build up and also lorry drivers were parking on the hard shoulder because their driving time had run out. On the southbound carriageway there were no weather problems. One local farmer phoned in to Radio Kent (our only source of information during those eight hours) and said he had four snow ploughs plus drivers in his yard but when he phoned the council , he was told they couldn't go out because someone at the council 'had not got around' to doing his contract. When he suggested they do it immediately by email, he was told that no one would be able to sign it then. Kent Council should hang their heads in shame but I think that there is a wider problem in England with the authorities' lack of concern about traffic holdups. They simply do not seem to understand the damage this does to England's economy and its image. Any visitor from Europe yesterday would have thought that the South of England couldn't organise an Autumn Fair let alone a World Cup.

• Comment number 42.

Work at radford and Bingley in Bingley. The worse the weather got and the more information we got about trains and buses being cancelled. However management didnt make a decision until it was common knowledge that trains were definitely being cancelled and buses non existant. I finally got home after a 3 and half hour ordeal and count myself lucky that it only took that long!

• Comment number 43.

The snow pictures that people have posted on the BBC news web-site have been wonderful. I hope they keep on coming in.

• Comment number 44.

@Mr Wonderful: I slogged through your lengthy post cheering the while.

How marvellous it is to read of someone who is actually _taking care of business_, but how depressing to read of the all-too-usual lack of enterprise on the part of our youth. (Let us remember that _you_ are clearing roads with rock salt you have paid for, while 'boyfriend' won't lift a shovel for £100. [expletive deleted]!

Two oblique comments. First, your note that there is no central organization. IMO, that is not required. What _is_ required is a change in attitude that sees you clearing the road and says "I ought to clear my section of the road" rather than the all-too-likely "Look at that p**t! That's the council's job!"

Second, your note about the Beeb not reminding people of what they need to do in these difficult circumstances. I recall (about two years ago?) listening to some bleater going on about organ donation. Did they provide a URL to sign up? They did not. Moreover, when I searched, I found nothing. (In fairness, I was in the US at the time. Perhaps the search focussed on US sites.)

I am a strong believer in organ donation. (It's not like I'll be using them.) In the US (in my states anyway), you simply check the box when you get a drivers license. Done. In Australia, you sign up and get a card. Also easy.

It's still a mystery to me how you do it in the UK. But I have a ToDo now :) I'll just remember not to expect the Beeb to provide the info.

• Comment number 45.

• Comment number 46.

Although I only work about 14 miles from home I have been unable to get in today because of snow. Most of my route takes me on lanes which rarely see a gritter lorry (appreciate major roads must take priority)so would have been foolhardy to venture out. My husband is currently on business in Scotland where he tells me he is having no problems at all getting around!
    Being fit and able I contemplated clearing some the pathway in front of our house but am concerned about any comeback if someone slips on the cleared bit. When I was a child everyone did 'their bit' and footpaths were very quickly useable again. Can anyone advise if I am wise to do this or am I leaving myself open to being sued?

• Comment number 47.

24years and counting...
    "Climate and weather are not the same thing"

That`s like saying population and people are not the same thing.
    Of course they are! One is made up of the other.

• Comment number 48.

All this user's posts have been removed.Why?

• Comment number 49.

I live in Central Scotland (small town) and the snow that has fallen over the past few days has completely disabled the area - we have no buses (if they do run they are forced to stop and cancel), no trains and the roads have not been properly ploughed or gritted. The street where I stay is virtually impassable unless you have a 4x4. Our council have made promises after the snow of 2009/2010 that there would be enough grit and ploughs but so far they have not appeared. If they had been prepared and actually gritted when the weather forecast said snow we would not be in such a dire situation. The shops have run out of bread, milk and other essentials. I have watched so many people venturing out with the car and getting stuck or burning their tyres bald - these people make the roads dangerous. If people need to venture out then they should be prepared (carry a shovel) and most of all take it slowly!

As someone suggested tyre chains - our roads are not suitable for them and have still not been fully repaired since last year.

Take care and keep warm….

• Comment number 50.

All this user's posts have been removed.Why?

• Comment number 51.

40. At 6:06pm on 01 Dec 2010, Magaroo wrote:

I too grew up in S.Yorks - Sheffield, and I too remember many bad winters in the 60's. Certainly there were no closed schools, but then as you rightly point out most people could walk there. Whilst there was as much or more snow then, they weren't considered bad - for us youngsters they were a pure delight. Sheffield being a city on hills was a sledging paradise.

• Comment number 52.

its not snowing in willand and devon i wish it would for once it would be alright if the weather man could get it right

• Comment number 53.

Only insofar as it shows just how stupid some people really are.
    For instance - I saw someone clearing snow from their driveway and kerb entrance and just piled the snow two feet high on the pavement at either side of their entrance. For instance - I saw someone clearing their driveway and threw the snow off their shovel into the middle of the recently gritted road - on a steep hill!!

• Comment number 54.

I bet most self-employed people and those on piece work managed to get to work.

• Comment number 55.

Snow and freezing temperatures are causing major problems for road, rail and air services in much of the UK, and thousands of schools are shut. How have you been affected by the big freeze?

Well, I live in Sweden, we have well over a metre of snow – have had snow for the last five or six weeks – winter arrived here very early.
    How has this affected us? The daytime temperature over the last month has got as high as -3°C, although now – December 1st – daytime temperature has reached a high of -10°C, night time temperatures of around -19°C.

Have the trains, buses, cars stopped running? Have the schools closed? No, of course they haven’t!

Trains:
    All, Including the X2000 expresses are still running normally, the local urban trains are still running normally, the freight trains are still running normally at night even at -35°C in the North they still run normally, and strangely enough, virtually all trains run on time – snow, ice, rain, wind, Autumn leaves – not a problem. All points are heated in the winter to prevent them from freezing up – they are also maintained properly.
    Are there ever any delays or crashes on the Railways in Sweden? Occasionally there are delays, but that is extremely unusual, a train crash here would make headlines for days.
    All locomotives and rail-buses, electric or diesel, are fitted with snow plow’s all year round, they also have that great British invention – The sand box – for allowing a small measured amount of fine sand to trickle onto the rail ahead of the driving wheels to obtain a better grip in cases of ice on the rail – It is such a pity that railway companies in the UK don’t have a look at this British invention – but that might of course affect bonuses.
    But then the Swedish railways put the passengers first, the fares are affordable – far cheaper by a long way mile per mile than the UK – they also don’t pay their rail bosses telephone number bonuses for trains arriving or departing within nine minutes of the actual departure/arrival time as the UK Network Rail Fat Cats do, in fact I don’t even think they get bonuses for trains arriving on time, period, they just do a good days work!!, but pay and conditions here are good by European standards.

Buses:
    All buses are running, they maybe a little late if they get caught behind a snow plow, but generally they are running well.
    All vehicles are compelled by law to have two sets of tyres/wheels, summer tyres and winter tyres. Grit in the form of crushed stone is spread on the roads behind the snow plough’s, after the winter is over and the last remnants of the snow has gone, special sweeper trucks with a trailers sweep up the grit that is still on the road, this is then washed and stored for the next winter along with fresh grit so there is always plenty of grit available, there is never the excuses that are so often used in the UK, ‘Oh my God, its winter, we have no grit’.

Cars:
    Owners must comply with the law and use winter tyres in these conditions, winter tyres for all vehicles is mandatory from at the latest, 1st December to the end of March, however the law is flexible on this, if the winter arrives early, as this one has, you can fit winter tyres before 1st December, and keep them fitted after the end of March if the conditions require it. But between the dates of 1st December – End of March, it is compulsory.
    I have been driving about normally, with winter tyres, one is very aware of the conditions yes, and you plan your journey and drive accordingly. Are there accidents on the road due to ice and snow here in Sweden? Yes there are some accidents, but nothing compared to the UK in severe winter conditions.

Trucks, vans etc:
    As above with cars. Very large trucks run here in Sweden, far larger than allowed on UK roads, articulated trucks pulling two trailers are not unusual – a sort of miniature Australian ‘Road Train’ you might say.

Strangely enough, the most dangerous thing you are likey to encounter when driving in the winter in Sweden, in dawn and dusk, is a fully grown Elk (Moose), they can run out in front of you with no warning whatsoever, many motorists are killed this way in the winter, normally the Elk will just walk away, but not always.

Schools closing when heavy snow falls:
    You have got to be joking!!! Schools don’t close here on the fall of a flake of snow, they are prepared for it. It would be an extreme situation for a school not to open – its unheard of here!
    Children, from what I have observed, would be very put out if they didn’t get to school, learning at school here is taken very seriously by pupils just as much as parents.

But as we’re talking about winter interruptions here, you could also add heating into this debate, Ground Source heating and Air Source heating is very big business here, these are sometimes referred to as ‘Heat Pumps’, and they are very good, generally speaking a Ground Source heat pump puts out three kw. of heat for every one kw. Of energy used to power it, and generally an Air Source heat pump puts out two kw of heat for every one kw energy used to power it.

Cars, Buses, Trucks and Trains have to comply with quite strict standards when it comes to heating and ventilation, in winter we carry a small sack of grit, a shovel and a good torch. Motorway services here also provide good affordable food (note –‘Good Affordable Food’) fuel is the standard national price, you don’t need to take out a mortgage for litre of diesel.
    So Motorway Service stations here are not Motorway Robbery Stations, as in the UK.

It is so very different here in Sweden compared to the UK, here we know that a certain period of a year – called “winter” – appears just after “Autumn”, and just before “Spring”, we also know that this occurs every year.
    In the UK, Railtrack, Councils and Public Transport companies – as well as certain parts of the Government suddenly start running around like headless chickens when they suddenly realise “Oh my God, its Winter again – What are we going to do, What ARE we going to do???????”
    That just does not happen here – Thank God – people in charge here have something between the ears – its called a brain – not like the UK where its a vision of a ‘Bonus Envelope’, or sawdust, or in some cases just an empty void.

• Comment number 56.

What's with all the fuss over snow? Woke up this morning expecting to see a white vista and was pleased to see that there wasn't a flake to be seen. Still no snow anywhere this winter in our area so what's all the fuss about? (And yes, we're only 10 miles from London in Middlesex/Bucks). Colleagues complaining about disrupted journeys (wimps!), news reports clogged up with pointless bulletins about non-existent snowdrifts...surely the message is if you don't like the weather move somewhere where it doesn't snow.
    Meanwhile, can we have some proper news about something other than the "soft" half of London (i.e south of the Thames) downing tools because it's got a bit chilly?

• Comment number 57.

Free from the BBC asks: "What’s the English translation to your gibberish?"

Not yet. I went into town today with the christmas post. No drama.

• Comment number 58.

Why do so many people live so far from work? Surely that is the real reason why this country grinds to a halt. OK so you might have a couple of miles to walk otherwise but at least it shows some gumption. I rarely missed a days work due to bad weather. If people dont turn up for work then they should loose a days pay or take annual leave. People have things too easy these days. If my 65 year old father could walk 7 miles in the snow, several years ago, then so can most of the younger ones. (He got a bonus for that and was the only one at work). But then they will have to be more than 400 yards from their precious cars. Wouldn't they? Must be against their human rights or something

• Comment number 59.

50. At 6:45pm on 01 Dec 2010, Free from the BBC wrote:
    · 44. At 6:33pm on 01 Dec 2010, MellorSJ wrote:
    @Mr Wonderful: I slogged through your lengthy post cheering the while.

###################################

Perhaps you will get lucky?

-----------------------------------

• Comment number 60.

Free from the BBC, post 50, wrote (aimed at SJ Mellors): "Someone may donate you their brain"
    Are you volunteering then, I ask? Why is it, when some people don't agree with somebody else's post they have to make derogatory remarks?

• Comment number 61.

Living in the North East of Scotland we have experienced this strange white stuff before, although probably not quite as early as this for the amount we have.
    After a week of deep snow and continual digging and clearing I have managed to clear my track and get the 4x4 (yes it's not a devil car its well designed for RURAL dwellers)out and re-supply the essentials.
    In the whole week we have seen one gritter on this road putting down minimal amounts of grit it is perilous to say the least. Local farmers help keep the roads clear but have no grit to lay down.
    Of course if I lived in the M4 corridor I would be in panic mode and having hissy fits about how slow the commute is.
    Ah well I suppose its another night by the fire and a couple of decent Malts.

• Comment number 62.

There seems to be alot of Northern folk with some serious chips on their shoulders as the south finally gets an icy blast, believing the media to be uncaring of their plight.

As a "neutral", the news coverage has been pretty wall to wall with "SNOW FLASH" on every channel from the weekend onwards.

I wouldn't mind an article on the cool streets of Plymouth which has been free of any of the white stuff under the headline "No snow in Plymouth. Again". Protected by the moors and a temperate climate means we laugh at the news of poor weather, and the only challenge walking to work is a slightly chilly wind blowing from the moors.

People moaning about council gritters not doing their job, once it hits a certain level, snow ploughs are the only option, and seeing as snow is a two or three week event over the course of a year, I'm sure a little hard graft isn't to much to ask.

It seems the country that gave rise to the Blitz spirit, is in danger of turning into the class wuss.

Keep it up you moaning minnies.

• Comment number 63.

I've been snowed in for days and have been forced to watch all the rubbish on TV for "entertainment". We get 100's of channels of unadulterated rubbish 24 hours a day and we are forced to have a TV license so the BBC can pay £1m pension pots to their execs and footballers wages to their presenters. Thank goodness for videos.

• Comment number 64.

LogicalLady:
    "Why is it when some people don`t agree with some body else`s post, they have to make derogatory remarks?"

Yes, I wonder why the moderators always allow such personal insults.

• Comment number 65.

• Comment number 66.

Have you been affected by the big freeze? Yeah, I've had to put the heating on

Once again a few inches of snow Britain grinds to halt because the infrastructure cannot cope. Embarrassing or what.

• Comment number 67.

While I'm snowed in, it's facinating to hear the talking heads on TV offering explanations for something they know nothing about. The weather presenters have suddenly realised that most of Scotland is snowed under. As usual, we had no warning.

As they say, economists were created to give weathermen a good name!

• Comment number 68.

I use winter tyres....Because It is winter....roads get iced and snowy at least I know that I don't have to rely on the gritters..I can get to work without slip sliding around....
    Winter tyres make such a huge difference to stopping distance and steering I see why it is law in many countries..frankly it should be in Uk.
    It won't be long until insurance Co's catch on.I have taken measures to make my car safer and would point out to my insurance co the fact that I was using winter tyres and that the person who hit me was not. In my opinion drivers who continue to use summer tyres in winter conditions are being negligent..putting other road users at risk.
    I love driving in the snow / ice and actively seek out all the back lanes on the way to work as I know there will be no Summer tyre Numpties on them. So stop complaining about lack of grit etc. and take some responsibility for your self...Get Winter Tyres...Simples

• Comment number 69.

At the risk of restating the very obvious...

Climate is the behaviour of the system; weather is a local manifestation; and localised cooling is in no way incompatible with overall heating.

Consider the electric heater found in most peoples' kitchens commonly known as 'the fridge'. It takes electricity from the mains and uses it to pump heat; which results in the inside of the fridge being cold, and the outside of the fridge being warmer.

If you consider the total energy of the system, the fridge needs power to work; and the the amount of cooling inside the fridge is always less than the amount of heating outside it. So your fridge is - overall - a heater; despite the fact that it's colder inside.

So if you find it hard to believe that an increase in overall system energy is consistent with a decrease in local temperature, take another look at your fridge!

• Comment number 70.

I can't understand how a bit of snow can bring the country to a standstill. How do they go on in Russia Poland Finland and countries like that I'm sure they still open their schools and manage to keep their roads and public transport going.

• Comment number 71.

I have no motorised transport (I have a bike), no running water (I have a water tank which I fill from a standpipe that needs thawing each time) and no central heating (I have a stove). But I manage. What's the big deal ?

• Comment number 72.

A couple of days ago the OBR released their predictions for economic growth and said that their predictions for 2010 would be higher than expected. I bet they didn't factor in half of the country being under more than a foot of snow (55cm here in Sheffield) into those predictions.

Considering that last January's snow had a huge negative effect on our economy will they now be revising those predictions?

• Comment number 73.

I'm still sweltering from the global warming heatwave this summer...and now I'm having to deal with a mini ice age...

• Comment number 74.

I find the killer for many drivers is the hills and slopes.

At least the russian steppe is pretty flat.

• Comment number 75.

Having spent much of my life in air conditioned neutral atmosphere offices ANY weather hot or cold, wet or dry is very welcome! Bring it on, my 4x4 just adds a fun dimension in the snow.

• Comment number 76.

Once again the whole country seems to grind to a halt because of a couple of inches of snow. Which was, believe it or not, FORECAST, in other words,,,, we knew it was coming.

I saw the news reporter in siberia where it was a life-sapping -57 degrees, and the cars were still running, and people getting on with their lives.

So the trains get stuffed by the snow,. BRING OUT THE STEAMERS. The roads are atrocious, WALK.

I had to admire the lady head who said 'We have pupils who's parents work for the emergency services, if i shut the school, those kids have to stay home, and their parents cant be out there saving lives' So her school stayed open. One school near me shut because they had no heating... DIDNT STOP EM STAYIN OPEN 30 YEARS AGO!

• Comment number 77.

@ David Goddard, post #67;

"The economic presenters are still convinced that greedy bankers caused the credit crunch, and not the American and British governments who created a sea of cheap money which was lent to the unlendable."

That's probably because the bankers decided, of their own volition, to take crazy risks with toxic debts with the intention of making even more money. I don't recall any stories in the press about Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling, or anyone in the Bush Administration turning up at a bank's board meeting with a shotgun to directors' heads, and forcing them to make unsound investments... do you? Perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us with a link, if there's a story such as this which we all managed to miss, somehow.

The Government haven't boarded me into my own home tonight, for instance; and our society is such that I have the free will to do pretty much anything I want. That doesn't mean that if I choose to go out and do something stupid right now, or perhaps commit some sort of a crime, that it's going to be David Cameron's fault, does it?

Each of us are responsible for the consequences of our own actions - yes, even bankers on six-figure salaries and multi-million pound bonuses. Sorry about that; just the way it is, I'm afraid. Try not to lose any sleep over it.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the weather, of course..?

Anyway; the problem with the snow is, as several correspondants have already pointed out, not so much the cold white stuff itself; but rather the lack thereof. The fact that this happens so rarely.

Yes of course, in northern parts of Europe and the US, you guys are better prepared; you need to be, conditions like this are a regular factor in your lives. A friend of mine in Vermont, USA, for instance, can start his car and get his engine ticking over and his internal heater running by remote control, whilst still sitting in his kitchen drinking coffee for half an hour. He tells me this is a standard feature on most models sold in his state - understandable, when you think that Vermont gets 6 to 8 months every year of these sorts of conditions.

Over here, it's simply not economically viable to invest the sort of money required to get the country generally prepared for this sort of thing. The private sector won't do it, because it would take them decades to even start making their money back; the public sector won't do it, because they'd get crucified in the press for spending millions of pounds of public money on stuff that only gets used for a week or so, every couple of years.

Me, I've already agreed with my boss to provisionally book the next two days off as annual leave - we're not too busy at the moment, so simple enough to arrange. If I can get in, I will, and save my holiday days. If I can't... I guess I'll walk a couple of miles into the next town and take my nephew & nieces out sledging.

Win-win, whatever happens. :o)

• Comment number 78.

Sue Doughcup writes: "Good grief. Blame the Beeb why not. No wonder we are so incapable of doing anything these days. Ever heard of common sense or finding out yourself?"

I certainly have!

I do not blame the BBC. (For this..) I merely point out that {whatever their current whimpering is about} they rarely provide the resources to enable the half-way-responsible character the wherewithal to follow though on their bleating.

Of course, one can--and should--follow up and address these issues for oneself, but the bleating is devalued (don't you think?) when they don't provide the necessary links...

• Comment number 79.

• Comment number 80.

"
    70. At 8:16pm on 01 Dec 2010, phill wrote:

"

It really is embarrassing. Early this year, my American friends could not stop laughing and ribbing me about the chaos a few inches of snow had caused, especially when they found out the snow had caused the London understand to stop working.

• Comment number 81.

• Comment number 82.

All this user's posts have been removed.Why?

• Comment number 83.

All this user's posts have been removed.Why?

• Comment number 84.

Cannot for the life of me understand why this country comes to a standstill with snow, for gods sake other countrys get on with it school always have to close, why? what would happen if every job stopped work, i work for the emergency services we cannot stay at home we have to risk it getting to work, its ridicolous, when i was at school our school never closed because of snow i can understand it in rural areas but there is no excuse why city schools should shut, something needs to be done in this country to cope with the weather and keep everything open if these schools shut for snow, then however long they are shut for the time should be added on in the summer, hence have shorter summer holidays thats one idea.

• Comment number 85.

"79. At 9:12pm on 01 Dec 2010, David Goddard wrote:
    Yesterday, the Scottish news on TV talked about the freezing conditions across the country and then went on about global warming!"

Indeed. Global warming melting arctic ice will result in the Gulf Stream being diverted and Britain on a similar latitude to Canada enjoying a similar winter to Canada.

• Comment number 86.

Yes. It´s made me get another jumper out of the wardrobe.

• Comment number 87.

To "Free from the BBC", post 83 at 9:39pm
    Maybe you should take a look at your own history

• Comment number 88.

58. At 7:24pm on 01 Dec 2010, Sue Doughcoup wrote:

==========================

They probably live so far away from work because they cannot afford to live in the city, or they cannot afford to keep changing their place of abode if redundancy strikes more than once.

Yep, in 1997 I stood on the platform in snow for two hours whilst fast trains shot through meaning that people living on the coast arrived in London, and I was hours late. A 13 mile walk to work in snow more than six inches thick isn't easy. You also need to know the way - the network of roads around London can be extremely confusing, and following a traffic-signed route may add miles to your journey.

I did sit on a bus for six hours in 1978 in the winter when there was a rail strike and the drivers of the gritting lorries were on strike, so the roads were chaotic. Twice a week. I then got a lift home - I suppose that was my bonus.

• Comment number 89.

I have been snowed in for the last four days in Kinross, from my work in perth. No buses have been able to go through kinross, by the time car has been dug out and our friendly neighbour has dug out the street with his tractor, the snow is already starting to build up again; thus needing to repeat the following day. I have gone to our local supermarket twice to find the bread and milk cleared from panic buyers (there really is no need) we have about 18-20 inches of snow at the moment and hopefully will make it away tomorrow. What i don't understand is place where there is between 2-6 inches of snow, everyone seems to go into total meltdown and panic. we coped fine with that! These news reports of snow causing chaos and then showing us images where there isn't even snow on the roads, i do not understand why they're saying it's the snow. It's just stupid drivers. And london currently not coping that is just a joke!!

• Comment number 90.

May I make a plea to all drivers

Like everyone else I have seen all the pictures on TV

What struck me particularly was the number of cars with up to 6" of snow on their roofs

Please, when you scrape the car to go out, take it off the roof too

It is highly dangerous to leave snow on the roof, especially if there is any wind, it can blow straight off onto the windscreen of the driver behind, the suddeness of it causing him to automatically brake, with possible disastrous consequences

Even if the heat from inside the car causes it to begin to melt and slide off, it will cause the driver behind to 'react', usually by putting his foot on the brake

• Comment number 91.

85. At 10:04pm on 01 Dec 2010, ruffled_feathers wrote:
    "79. At 9:12pm on 01 Dec 2010, David Goddard wrote:

"Indeed. Global warming melting arctic ice will result in the Gulf Stream being diverted and Britain on a similar latitude to Canada enjoying a similar winter to Canada"

.......................................

That is apparently true, according to the climate scientists but I believe the current bad weather is due to the Jet Stream having moved further north, being blocked by a ridge of high pressure and cold air being sucked in from Scandinavia

The possibility of the Jet Stream changing course is also mooted by the clicmate scientists, so lets hope this is a temporary phenomenon!

• Comment number 92.

As a disabled person I am currently living in rooms that are down to 10ºc and a heating bill that's through the roof.
    I only heat one room adequately in case I have visitors. I also rely on lots of wooly jumpers and an electric blanket to keep me warm in bed.
    I've suffered from hypothermia twice in the past.

As a disabled private home owner I get very little help.

You would think that a visionary environmental organisation would help disabled people achieve environmentally sensible and sustainable solutions for heating their homes.
    They could help those who who can't help themselves and have appalling carbon footprints and often don't survive the cold.

Did you know that according to official reports from Mind and Shelter, shown earlier this year by the BBC, disabled home owners are more likely to suffer from mental health problems and they are more likely to die in cold weather.

So yes I'm cold.

• Comment number 93.

• Isn't it strange how it is national news because the South of England has snow. Scotland, Wales and the North of England seem to just get on with it. It is disruptive and dangerous but unfortunately we live with useless councils who don't grit the roads. Either take it up with your council or suck it up like a good little Brit.

=======================

What a ridiculous comment! I live in the South East, and the weather in the regions has been on the news I have been watching every night for the past week or so.

You however appear to have a chip on your shoulder, which is perhaps because you live in an area which is subsidised by the wealth creating part of the UK, who ‘just get on with it’ all the time, which is why they generate the wealth to subsidise people who have time to write moaning articles during working hours!

• Comment number 94.

Firstly would the BBC please stop using tabloid terms such as "the big freeze" and "chaos". You have a standard to maintain.

Secondly the fact that a little snow brings the UK to a standstill is quite pathetic. It was predicted.

• Comment number 95.

After a few days watching people going flying on the icy pavements outside after about two inches of snow I discovered that the council grit bins are there for anyone to use on the footpaths. With this new found information I have just spent an hour clearing the snow from mine and my neighbours houses.

I now find myself wondering why the council puts the grit bins out and yet do not publicise their purpose. I am sure more people would be more than willing to treat the pavements if they did.

• Comment number 96.

Everybody has been affected by the big freeze, well big freeze in British terms anyway. And whilst the economy in these fraught times is grinding to a halt, whilst a large chunk of our investment in the future in the way of school education is shut down where is our prime minister? Why he is over in Switzerland, not to enjoy the Swiss snow but to try and arrange a few football matches to be played in the UK in 2018. And who will that benefit, well it will certainly benefit the moguls of FIFA, it will certainly benefit all those individuals involved in the business of sport directly or indirectly, but for the vast mass of hard working folk there will be no benefit. In fact just like the Olympics there will undoubtedly be a large tab for the small ordinary taxpayer to pick up. They will also probably be asking for a large number of volunteers from amongst the unemployed to give of their time to welcome foreign visitors. Of course the government hopes to pick up a few votes from the football fans as well. And just to rub salt in the wound what do we hear, why there are certain individuals who don't want to pay any tax on anything that they pick up in relation to the event.

Get back to Britain Mr. Cameron, your hot air might just help to get things moving again by creating a thaw.

• Comment number 97.

It's absolutely pathetic the way this country reacts to a bit of snow. And every Winter it's the same, it's not like they ever learn! When I was a boy, it would have taken the school burning down to close the school!

• Comment number 98.

I am sick and tired of hearing them say it will cost too much to clear the roads of snow and ice every winter. They take billions of pounds from us motorists every year, so give us what we pay for.

• Comment number 99.

Aberdeenshire is near stand-still, under several feet of snow... But it's OK, we've got an ARMY of Snow-clearing machines operating 24/7 to keep all out roads clear - yes, all 6 of them are operating... even in areas where it's actually snowing... We're about to run out of salt and grit, so importing some from our Nordic neighbours... Meanwhile the Snow clearing machines are busy pushing the snow into mountains either side of the road, the road now the width of 1 snow clearing machine in most cases...

Interesting to note the Icelandic, Norweigian, Swede & Finns aren't reporting major problems, except where and how to deliver salt & grit to any given Scottish port...

We've learnt NOTHING from our Nordic neighbours - except how to loose money via our banks - thanks Iceland...

Scottish Highland Ski fields are closed due to the snow... Go figure?

• Comment number 100.