BBC BLOGS - Gary Innes
« Previous | Main | Next »

Newtonmore take Fort's scalp at An Aird

Post categories:

Gary Innes | 21:06 UK time, Monday, 9 May 2011

As we approach the halfway mark in the Scottish Hydro Premier league, leaders Kyles Athletic took another step to winning their first ever Premier title when they beat Kilmallie 3-0 at home.

Dunky Kerr, Fraser MacDonald and Roddy MacDonald were on form for the Tighnabruaich men, leaving them five points clear at the top.

Lovat squeezed both points out of Oban Camanachd away from home. Goals from Scott MacMillan and Fraser Gallagher kept the game level until a James MacPherson penalty in the 82nd minute clinched a 2-1 victory for Lovat.

Kingussie stepped up to second place in the league after their 3-2 home win over Inveraray. A Ronald Ross double alongside a James Hutchison strike proved one too many against Neil Campbell's two for the Argyll men.

Callum McLeod (Inverness) holds off the challenge of Willie Gilles (Taynuilt) during the Camanachd Cup tie at the Bught, watched by referee Colin MacDonald. Photo: Colin Paterson

Callum McLeod (Inverness) holds off the challenge of Willie Gilles (Taynuilt) during the Camanachd Cup tie at the Bught, watched by referee Colin MacDonald. Photo: Colin Paterson

Fort William hosted last year's champs Newtonmore at An Aird. This was a game both teams were well aware they must win, if either were to stand any chance of title success this year.

Fort started the stronger of the two clubs for sure, and for the first 45 minutes looked like they were going to romp it.

Great spirit and determination oozed through the team after last week's result and, heading into the dressing rooms at half-time, Fort's confidence was high.

In the second half, Newtonmore's midfield started to win their battle, as their forwards began to carve holes into the Fort William defence. Niggly fouls and mouthing off to the referee was also beginning to play its part, interrupting the flow of the game.

This was highlighted when Fort's Alex Duncan was shown a red card for back-chat and making faces to referee Billy Wotherspoon, and was sent for a early shower.

With Fort down to 11 men, Newtonmore kept pressing forward and when the ball was slipped out to Fraser MacIntosh on the 70th minute, he made no error in rifling the ball into the net, sealing both points for the champs.

Fort William have really struggled to finish teams off this season, and will be bitterly disappointed at starting the game so well yet coming away with nothing.

So who do you think will win this year's Premier title? Can Kyles make history and be the first South team to win the league since going national, or will the experience of the Badenoch boys shine through and the title will head north once more?

Let's hear your thoughts.

The MacTavish Cup semi-finals take place this weekend in the North. A replay of last year's final at the Dell will see Kingussie clash with Kilmallie, while Newtonmore face Fort William.

The MacTavish Cup is the North's first silverware of the season. As both fixtures are to be played in Badenoch, they have been staggered so fans and travelling supporters can catch the two fixtures.

The only Premier League fixture scheduled will see the clash of the Glens, as Glenurquhart battle Glenorchy at Drumnadrochit.

Glenorchy are still looking to pick up their first point of the Premier League after getting promoted last season. However, with Glenurquhart having the chance to jump up to third spot if they win, they will surely be up against it.

Safe travels to all clubs and supporters.


  • No comments to display yet.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.