Connected Studio 5: CBBC and User Experience and Design
CBeebies Connected Studio in Q5, Quay House, MediaCityUK in Salford
It's been a while since I told you about the Connected Studio project, but that doesn't mean we haven't been busy. We've been planning an exciting calendar through till next spring starting with a double header of Creative Studios. CBBC on September 20th in Salford and UX&D on October 4th in London. Both briefs are now live and ready for your perusal.
We will be heading back to MediaCityUK on September 20th, with the Build Studio in Salford on October 10-11. The UX&D Creative Studio will take place in London on the 4th October, followed by a build studio in Salford on the 30th and 31st of October. Get these dates in your diary!
Our last event seems like an age ago yet it was only back in July when we held the CBeebies Build studio up at MediaCityUK. Attendance for the Creative Studio was up at over 90 which ultimately led to 30 pitches, our highest to date. The high number of participants and the strength of ideas meant that we took ten teams through to Build, made up of 60 individuals. Thankfully the fantastic Q5 space meant that we could accommodate this number without treading on each other's toes.
I will be releasing details shortly about what we are moving forward from CBeebies, Weather & Travel and also a general Pilot Stage update, but for now, let's tuck in to CBBC and the key challenges that the Brief sets out:
1) How do we make the CBBC site more responsive to an individual's age, gender, mood, and preferences (without the need for sign-in)?
2) How can we encourage children to generate content for the site in a way that avoids the need for costly and slow moderation?
3) What could be the ultimate 'immersive digital experience' in and around CBBC brands?
For UX&D the key challenge we're working on is how to create a consistent experience across the whole of BBC online - so that it feels like one service across our ten products and on four screens.
We have three ways of approaching that challenge:
1) Time - what does it mean to be 'alive' online?; How do we move beyond static website, to pages that feel updated, dynamic and relevant?
2) Linear and digital; how can a digital experience enhance linear output, before during and after it goes live?
3) Connected and inclusive; what is it that makes participating with the BBC different from any other organisation? What is the interaction we should encourage?
As ever, we don't like to make it easy, but we fully expect that those who step up to the mark are fully capable of delivering the standard that both the Product teams and Connected Studio has come to enjoy.
To sign up head to the 'how to get involved' page on the website.
We are also happy to announce a new event schedule:
• September 20: CBBC Creative Studio - MediaCityUK in Salford
• October 4: UX&D Creative Studio - London
• October 10/11: CBBC Build Studio - Salford
• October 30/31: UX&D Build Studio - Salford
• Nov 21: Sport Creative Studio - Salford
• Dec 12/13: Sport Build Studio
• Jan: TV & iPlayer
• Jan- Mar: News, Knowledge & Learning, Radio & Music
As ever, these dates could be subject to change, but should this be the case we will let you know. We are not taking applications for them yet, but to express your interest in attending or order to get further updates and be among the first to know email firstname.lastname@example.org with the particular creative studio as the subject line.
Adrian Woolard is Project Director, North Lab, BBC Research and Development and is responsible for Phase 1 of the Connected Studio programme