Chart Attack #5 - NY Tuneage
For two reasons...
1. I've been reminiscing a lot about an incredible trip to New York I had last year and 2. I've noticed my two favourite songs of 2009 (so far) refer to New York in the title - 'Empire State of Mind' and 'aNYway'
I present to you my top ten songs about New York City.
Yes, it really is that simple.
1. Jay Z - Empire State of Mind
"In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't do, now you're in New York"
2. The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
"They've got cars big as bars, they've got rivers of gold, but the wind goes right through you, no place for the old. When you first took my hand on a cold Christmas Eve, you promised me Broadway was waiting for me."
3. Beastie Boys - An Open Letter to NYC
"Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten, from the Battery to the top of Manhattan, Asian, Middle Eastern and Latin, black, white - New York you make it happen."
4. Petula Clark - Downtown
"Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city, linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty."
5. Grand Master Flash - The Message
"It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from going under."
6. Oppenheimer - Breakfast in NYC
"Breakfast in New York and I know that we're dreaming, drunken conversations and the things we were scheming."
7. U2 - Angel of Harlem
"Birdland on fifty-three, the street sounds like a symphony."
8. Vampire Weekend - M79
"It's going to take a little time, while you're waiting like a factory line, I'll ride across the park, backseat on the 79."
9. LCD Sounsdystem - New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down
"New York, you're perfect, don't please change a thing. Your mild billionaire mayor's now convinced he's a king."
10. The Strokes - New York City Cops
"Here in the streets of American nights, rise to the bottom of the meaning of life."